Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
If you guys go to https://www.chezapocalypse.com Lindsay has been writing a memoir about her life as a young fangirl in apparently a buttload of different fandoms, starting with her elementary-school obsession with cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
In America it flopped. In their home country it was a #1 hit.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Jefferoo posted:

Never in my whole life have I watched 2 guys miss the point of a movie so much - talking about Pain & Gain. The whole point of the film is pointing out the main characters to be such absolute, loving dirtbags that you take sympathy on Tony Schaloub's character. It's the perversion of American masculinity, the American Dream, the "hard work and you'll make it," it's narrative is taking these real events, and using them to talk about how hosed this country's philosophy is. Wahlberg's character is such a colossal piece of poo poo, who just believes in the American Dream and the pursuit of wealth he'll go to such insane lengths, that you're on this horrifying ride as he spirals utterly out of control. The Rock's character is this sort of, gently caress, it's hard to describe - he's trapped in this endless cycle of wanting redemption, and keeps falling back into crime.

It's a surprisingly deeper film than these two knuckleheads are willing to give it credit for, mainly because of the name attached, and it's such a loving bummer.

prahanormal posted:

You're defending a Michel Bay movie.

E: You know what, nevermind. Let's just say I think RLM "got" what Bay was going for. They just don't think it worked.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
As only a casual gamer at best, I find Yahtzee's perspective a wonderful antidote to modern game journalism. It shouldn't be so hard to find someone to comment intelligently on the failings of, say, the new Tomb Raider game (it plays itself, it's insultingly simple and its much-praised less-fanservicey version of Lara Croft is kind of passive and not particularly empowering). Hell, maybe he's not the only people saying poo poo like that, I don't know, I don't follow your LAMESTREAM MEDIA, SHEEPLE, but in my experience he's the only one willing to hold games to real standards, and even if he's not, no one does it as well or as wittily as Yahtzee.

Like I said, I don't play a lot of video games, but the ones I have, I've never heard him issue a criticism of that I felt was unfair.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
The feminist underpinnings of "Sucker Punch" is in that it connects fanservice to exploitation. Its failure is that Snyder makes no distinction between how the fictional leering audience views the girls and how Snyder himself views them. In essence, the viewer is expected to enjoy all the fanservice without feeling implicated by it. Also it's really stupid and boring. I find it a fascinating failure regardless.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Todd must read this thread.

ToddInTheShadows ‏@ShadowTodd 1h
People are telling me that I put "Bitches Love Me" way too low on my list, and they are correct.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Violet_Sky posted:

But he faked being happy for the sake for everyone. He had to do it.

From what I can tell, reading all the comments from people who knew him, he didn't fake being happy. He was happy, at least when he was around people. It was in private where the demons came out.

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 29, 2014

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

I tried watching Blockbuster Buster when he first joined the site and didn't like it much, to put it mildly. But, a lot of the guys on the site don't find their footing until they've been there a while; anyone want to watch it and tell me if he's gotten any better?

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

quote:

The criticism of Lewis' "let the ads play" video is that at its root was this sense that the audience should go out of their way to bolster a very specific revenue source rather than Lewis seeking any sort of alternative funding method or doing anything to change his method.

I'm not sure I agree with this, mainly because I don't see why Lewis asking for viewers to support the current business model -- one in which he asks very little -- is somehow less valid than "finding an alternative funding method."

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 6, 2014

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
I think turning off AdBlock is a perfectly valid choice, but I can't say I get all that annoyed with Blip ads either. I mean, they're just ads. They last for 30 seconds and they're done.

Now, ads that play randomly in the background while I'm doing something, those can gently caress right off.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

quote:

The reason I'm giving that "let the ads play" video so much poo poo is because it was an incredibly short sighted response to a problem that was never going to get better.

This is not at all a rebuttal to BottledBodhisvata's point. So ad revenue might be going away, so what? What about that justifies your disdain and disgust?

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

quote:

"Let the Ads Play" wasn't some noble gesture of a man trying to live the dream, it was a man staunchly refusing to move as his house-built-on-the-sand inevitably tipped over with the shifting tides.

In what sense?? I don't agree with Bodhisattva that life isn't worth living if you're not doing what you love, that's absurd, but in what sense isn't "Let the Ads Play" a man trying to live the dream, whatever else it may be? Everything is a house-built-on-sand in the creative arts, whether you're an actor or a writer or whatever, it's an inherently unstable situation. I have no idea if Linkara has any marketable skills or not, but he's no more an rear end in a top hat than a local band trying to sell CDs. The dude may not be entitled to keep doing the same shtick forever but he is entitled to at least ask a tiny gesture of support from his fans, Christ.

I mean, granted, it's been a while since I've watched it and I didn't watch the whole thing, was he demanding that people support him? I'm willing to be proven wrong, I don't remember it that way. Regardless, I certainly don't think he's out of line for at least asking.

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 8, 2014

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Turn Down For What is a really great video and a pretty solid song that's mainly to showcase DJ Snake's skills, but more importantly it's a loving club song, who reviews that seriously?

For someone trying to understand club music I think Todd legitimately doesn't understand club songs. Like Selfie had 'ambition' because it had words? He really needs to abort this because his awkward stumbling about trying to explain why Daft Punk was ok but the loud black people aren't really summed up why this is dumb.

...Did you watch the whole review?

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The best part was when a gay rapper said he stole a hook from him or something the reaction was 'yea but Same Love tho'.

The reaction was nothing at all because the dude was an obscurity who had no case. I had never heard of this before you brought it up, but yeah, the two hooks mildly resemble each other if that, the public was absolutely right to ignore this guy.

And as a side note, Macklemore is not beyond criticism by any means, but I think it's hosed up that Macklemore has gotten way more poo poo for "Same Love" than Lil Wayne has for "Bitches Love Me."

quote:

At least the collateral damage made complete sense in this film. Man of Steel's was just gratuitous and didn't feel like it belonged in a Superman movie.

I don't know how to put it, but there's something wrong with the tone of Man of Steel that bothered people way more than Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy -- it was just so... bleak, people couldn't just brush it off as fun popcorn-y ID4-style spectacle like they did with Avengers or even with the massively unpleasant Transformers.

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 10, 2014

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
This has not gone full Spoony yet, but it is getting pretty bad and it's disappointing to see. He said he's gonna try and clear the air on a livestream tomorrow, but I'd advise him to calm the gently caress down first, or at least have a civil conversation with someone who disagrees with him, before he digs that hole any deeper.

Shame, he's a funny guy, I don't want this to get out of hand. I literally have not been able to watch a single Spoony video since his meltdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Violet_Sky posted:

In Anita's latest video:

Can someone explain the context behind the God of War III bit? Is Kratos supposed to be a psychopath? Because holy hell, what did I just watch? :stonklol:

Haven't watched the video yet, but yes, Kratos is basically completely evil by the end of the series, to the point where I couldn't even begin to guess which part Anita showed. The entire series is a Frank Miller-esque mix of gritty darkness and embarrassingly stupid juvenilia.

• Locked thread