Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jay O posted:

Read 50 Shades of Green, erm, ah, "Awoken," on my livestream last night.

Recorded the chat's reactions to the whole thing, was a lot of fun!

I cannot take you...to the Pumpkin ball...

Oh god, it's exactly like I'd imagined it would be. I love how the world-ending subplot is absolutely blatant, but all this girl's focused on is how hot Edwardthulu is and she just can't get out of her own head.

Well done, JO. This and your Fading Hearts LP are absolute magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

That's actually really well done. Most of the jokes/skits actually worked really well.

I drat near lost it at M. Night Shay-Amon.

He raised a lot of good points and the comparisons between source and adaptation were spot on, and I like that it ended with an appropriately Taoist view on how to approach The Last Airbender in relation to the rest of the franchise. Though I suspect that was more Rob talking than Doug for that part.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

somekindofguy posted:

So Doug did a thing on Bridge to Terabithia. The review is kind of just "there" at about ten minutes in, but a joke in the beginning about bronies apparently inspired this gem of a comment:

Ponophobic. :negative:

Eh, I dunno. That little girl blatantly and repeatedly saying "God damns ya to hell! :catholic:" was nothing short of magical.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cubs2084 posted:

I have no idea what these two have planned here, but I'm game.

Jesus, Doug and Brad doing a MythBusters gag? With Rachel as Kari? This looks goddamn awesome. Wait. Was that what Brad shaved his head for? To play Jamie Hyneman?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

poparena posted:

I've started a look at The Werewolf Chronicles, a young adult book trilogy from 1996 that kind of acts as a bridge between Goosebumps and Animorphs. A really stupid bridge.

I enjoyed it too. There was a nice balance between recapping (which, in this case was necessary because I bet you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone could remember these books) and actual analysis of the book on its own merits or lack thereof, especially without falling back onto Goosebumps or Animorphs comparisons to bolster your points.

I hate to be "that guy" though, but I'm really looking forward your next Animorphs review too. Those ones are always great, especially your analysis of the TV show. I never got the chance to watch it when I was a kid, I was always otherwise occupied when it came on/YTV seemed to juggle its timeslot around, but after binge-watching your reviews of it, I'm glad I didn't.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The only quality things I remember about him were his theme song and that epic Muppets joke he provided the setup for in Kyle's Melancholia mega-review--neither of which were the result of any effort on his part, now that I think about it.

Most of his reviews were unfocused kind of degenerated into gobbledygook not long after he moved off of his thesis point to examine whatever he was looking at, like his Invader Zim review that just goes right off the rails from minute one.

Anyway, I watched the Sage/NC Guyver review last night, and it was pretty funny, but god drat did that end on a dark note. I know it was scripted and all, but I felt kinda lovely for Sage after it ended.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 22, 2013

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I just find it really weird that after all the stuff that's emerged about him, his theme song is an upbeat folk song about how he's alienated all his friends by being creepy and unable to grow as a person. (It's still funny and catchy and was neither written nor preformed by him, so... I dunno. gently caress, I kind of like it--DON'T LOOK AT ME!)

It's the same way how Spoony's theme is about a creepy guy who more-or-less stalks a woman into flat out telling him to leave her alone. In both cases it ends up, probably unintentionally, speaking volumes about their individual characters as people.

Also, Doug has a new editorial out about the ethics of intentionally scaring small children through scary movies.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 22, 2013

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Infamous Sphere posted:

Holy poo poo, the image of Jack Torrance spinning out of the flames...that sure was just about the worst thing ever.

Which is funny, because I'm pretty drat sure that shot was used on an episode of Home Improvement as a post-episode gag, so I was looking to hear Tim Allen screaming over it as Jack goes flying.

Also, JO, since you're back, I don't mean to be "that guy," but I'm just wondering if you're going to be getting around to finishing your Digimon Tamers review too? Yeah, I know you probably get that question a lot, but I figure it couldn't hurt to ask, right?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cubs2084 posted:

Has TGWTG.com been screwy for anyone else? The last couple days I've gotten it to load like, once briefly.

Yep, it's down. I honestly haven't visited TGWTG.com in ages since I just usually go through blip.tv or blip's hilariously lovely iPad app these days.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

You are a gentleman and a scholar :)

Also new NC is Devil
http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/nc-devil-6674787

Yay, more Sham-Amon. Why do I get the feeling they're going to go through his entire filmography just to give Rob an excuse to keep using his awesome Steve Blum voice?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bad Wolf posted:

They pledged a certain amount of money (I forget how much) to the Channel Awesome Indiegogo campaign, and the perk for that was getting an episode tacked onto an NC review.

It's sort of a double-edged sword if you ask me, considering the amount of bitching I've seen about it online.

$1,250.00 USD, but who's counting?

Besides, they didn't really put out that appealing of a product to begin with it. There's a lot you can do with the concept, and I feel like an absolute shitheel ragging on them, but they kind of took whatever legs they had out from under them by calling it loving "Gameception" and then starting it off with each of them mugging for the camera in the opening (and yes, the irony is not lost on me that I'm pointing this out on a video attached the goddamn Nostalgia Critic) and just being generally uninteresting as an ensemble.

...Also Video Games AWESOME! has a way better video game/player cam split screen format.

But enough about Gameception, Brad's back with part 2 of Pagan Invasion!

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 30, 2013

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

quakster posted:

RedLetterMedia continues to have the best delivery. Their gags just catch me off-guard.

Their collective reaction to the Showbiz Pizza bear mascot turning up in Trick Or Treat is just all sorts of magic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cubs2084 posted:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/41302-dawn-of-the-commercials

Doug did another collective review/riffing of old commercials. Good stuff, mostly. I kind of have a problem with the way he handled that sexual harassment commercial, though. Yeah, fine, the way she told her boss off at the end is kind of robotic and silly sounding. But to use that as a jumping off point to a series of gags about how "guys don't know when they're being hit on" rather undermines the whole point that commercial was trying to make, that being creepily hit on by your boss isn't cool. The implication is that a female boss creeping on a male employee is totally ok, since most men are too stupid to notice. Really, Doug?

I also hate how he spent the last few minutes going on about that stupid recent commercial where Denny's tries to use blind patriotism to sell pancakes. Both because I hate that commercial, and because his schtick wasn't funny and over-stayed its welcome.

DIET COOOOOOOOOOOOKE! :byodood:

Also, Christ those "Accident" commercials are loving disturbing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jimbot posted:

I still think they're running with the gig from the Halloween episode but not drawing attention to it.

I love how deadpan they're being with it. For a while there I honestly began to wonder if Rich really had lost a finger or something.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 23, 2013

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

What's the general opinion on Bennet the Sage? I've tried to watch his stuff, but the character he plays is just so annoying and gross that I couldn't take it anymore. Like, holy poo poo this video is BAD http://blip.tv/sagereviews/anime-abandon-mad-bull-34-part-ii-5504539.

I've mostly seen Sage's newer stuff and I've rather enjoyed it. His crossovers with Spoony are fun to watch, mainly because he gleefully keelhauls Noah through the worst kind of poo poo imaginable and you get to schadenfreude the hell out of it, but I'll admit there's a ton of hurdles to get over just on a presentation level alone.

A fat, often-dirty, pimple-faced nerd with a bad haircut, gimmick hat, and a grating voice talking about anime? Yeah, I can see why it's a tough sell. But he puts a lot of heart and effort into it and actually takes the time to deconstruct what works/doesn't work with whatever show/movie he's reviewing and why it does or doesn't with historical context added in for good measure.

I guess if you want to see Sage when he's "on", watch both parts of his Macross Plus review, or his Wings of Honneamise review.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Pretty much this. Lots of stuff to hate on about this movie but honestly it all boils down to this.

The actual review was pretty awesome. I love it whenever reviewers try to do that two viewpoints deal, like Paw's last video, it's always more interesting when the review have a back and forth point-counterpoint discussion rather than a straight on run down of a single person's opinion, it opens things up a bit so it doesn't come across as too "unbending statement" if that makes any sense. That and the jokes were actually funny. Every time Batman showed up I either giggled or laughed.

I thought it was a pretty cool review too, though a lot of Joe's points outside of his reason for liking the Zod neck-snap scene seemed to boil down to: "Your argument is invalid because Superman is AWESOME! :buddy:" Which I am actually willing to forgive, just because Joe is such an unapologetic Superman fanboy and he was reflexive enough to acknowledge the actual flaws with the film.

The goat scream joke cracked me up. I'd be interested to see who's idea that one was, though I suspect it was actually Doug given how much he loves to insult himself on camera.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gyges posted:

Given what happened, all the contingency plans of the various government, villain, and hero organizations for Superman make a lot more sense. It makes Lex Luthor far more reasonable from the start and provides a reason for Batman to mistrust Superman beyond Batman being a paranoid prick. It also gives Superman room to grow as he can be calmer and more averse to punching the everloving poo poo out of stuff. We've seen what a Kryptonian can do so we don't have to find big objects for him to lift while we also don't want him to fully let loose because we don't want to see the city leveled again. Plus it ties into Pa Kent's fears and reservations about Clark using his powers, because there will be people who hate him for who he is now.

Of course it's also possible that they drop all the balls and turn in some silly poo poo for the next movie.

It's going to be two hours of Supes and Batman punching black Xenomorph-knock offs on Planet Red-filtered Mojave Desert and you know it. :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

I heard Ron Perlman is one of the only good things about that show, is that true?

http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/11/29/midnight-screenings-homefront-and-frozen.aspx
I love when Brad and Jake like a movie :allears:

Yeah, but angry Brad is funnier. And next year he's going to see all the Tyler Perry movies with Dave and Brian, so we're going to be seeing a lot of angry Brad in the new year.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cubs2084 posted:

*blink* So he did. How on earth did I miss that all those years back? Well. If it's not the Star Wars special, what the heck else is generally considered "the worst Christmas special ever made"?

I'm tempted to be a smart rear end and say "everything :v:", but yeah, the Star Wars one is generally the Internet-approved "worst Christmas special ever", and since Doug really isn't the kind of guy to re-review something, I'm intrigued to see what he pulls out as the worst one ever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Miss Wallace posted:

"A Special Sesame Street Christmas" is another terrible Christmas special recommendation if you dislike yourself.

Oh and to respond to Anukis, thanks, that means a lot!

Wait is that the one where Cookie Monster devours a typewriter? It better not be, because that one was wonderful.

...also, I got quoted by Lupa. Yaaay. :buddy:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 4, 2013

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Supersonic Shine posted:

The Nostalgia Critic did Eight Crazy Nights.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/41613-eight-crazy-nights

He seemed to really, really hate it. A lot of his gags seemed a lot more mean-spirited than usual.

Its nothing new, honestly. Red Letter Media did a full hour-long Half in the Bag episode dedicated to systematically demolishing both Jack & Jill and Adam Sandler's Hollywood Ponzi scheme of a production company. I honestly think he used Jay Bauman's "Adam Sandler Movie Trope" list to inform his review because he hits just about every point highlighted on that list in his review.

And as for mean spirited? poo poo, I was dragged against my will to That's My Boy last year, and the movie itself was so mean spirited and awful that both me and the person who took me to it were honest-to-god enraged after watching it. It's not Doug being pointlessly spiteful, it's Doug reflecting the soul of the film itself through the Nostalgia Critic.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 10, 2013

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Supersonic Shine posted:

I probably would have understood more if I actually watched any of the Happy Madison films. There are probably people who consider me lucky, and just be safe, I'll consider myself lucky too.

The irony is, the two namesake films of his studio, Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison, are actually genuinely good. I can go back and watch Happy Gilmore any time and enjoy it through and through because it actually has a heart.

Happy has a noble goal throughout the film, and while he has anger issues, he's generally a likeable guy and finds a way to channel his rage into something productive; golf, ironically, and he triumphs because of himself as opposed to in spite of himself like the human monster protagonists of nearly every other modern Sandler film like Eight Crazy Nights, The Longest Yard, Jack & Jill and That's My Boy.

The main thing that pisses a lot of people off about Sandler is that he's a very talented actor and comedian and the stuff he does like Eight Crazy Nights, ect. comes off as a conscious choice brimming with nothing but disdain for the audience in how utterly mean spirited the final product is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RustyTrombone posted:

Is Doug really unselfaware enough to not realize he always runs his jokes too long/into the ground? The Adam Sandler phone call is a good example.

Surprisingly, no. He willingly admits in a lot of his commentaries that he intentionally lets some jokes overstay their welcome. I think his reasoning behind it is that he thinks the joke overstaying its welcome becomes a joke in and of itself, but I've never actually had that happen to me yet where I laugh at how laboured it gets. Even in this one, I zoned out after about 10 seconds and just skipped ahead by the 20 second mark.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

New Half in the Bag.

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug/

Probably my favorite episode they've ever done. The little things make it.

"A princess crayon".

I love the lengths they go to to butcher Smoog Smaowg Smouagh Smaug's name, only for Jay to set up potentially the ultimate one, and get cut off before he even opens his mouth.

These guys are just masters of the out-of-left field type jokes. Also, I'm pretty sure that guy in the ending is John Malkovich, and I will not hear anyone try to tell me different. :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

All right I give up, why? If the idea is that the sex and violence are so hardcore that he can't even show clips, why bother covering it at all?

I have a sneaking suspicion he painted himself into a corner and then realized what reviewing it would entail and tried to back out of it, like you see in the video. It seemed like an escape hatch to appease the fans that were probably hounding him all year long to do it, as personified at times by the Engineer in the video.

That said, yeah, I couldn't follow through with it past the 5 minute mark. Good on Sage for coming to terms with the anime and the review, but I don't need to watch a half hour of him coming to terms with it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Red Letter Media just put out Best of the Worst: Holiday Movies.

I don't know what the hell happened, but I think I just watched Jack mind-rape Rich with National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 2.
:stare:

EDIT: God, I hope they get a reply to that letter.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 24, 2013

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So Spoony's back with Part 5 of his FFXIII review. I got to say, this feels like more of a return-to-form towards "classic" Spoony. It's less ranty, more logical, and a hell of lot more stable than his previous parts. Plus I actually laughed at the ending gag.

I want to say Spoony's turning a corner, but he's been so up and down lately, I don't know what to say. ...Other than I need to maybe watch his SWAT 4 review to get the proper context behind that Barthandelus gag.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Miss Wallace posted:

I can't speak for the reviews but I can say Noah's been much, much better than he was before.

Wow, now that is really saying something. Well good for him, I used to be a be a big fan of his in his early days and sort of fell off the bandwagon around the time of "that-thing-we-won't-speak-of", so I'm happy to see he's getting better.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

SFDebris picks apart the awful Enterprise finale episode, 'These Are The Voyages':

http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated-reviews/ent-these-are-the-voyages-review-6714095

God, I remember watching that live after making through all of season 3 and season 4 Enterprise. It was the first time I had ever come away from a TV episode actually angry. I knew it wasn't going to be good based on everything I had heard about it in the run up to its airing, but I had no idea it would turn out to be that bad.

All of Chuck's points were spot on, and I'm actually kind of happy that he warned up to Trip because Connor Trinneer kind of became the heart and soul of the show from season 2 onward, and it was kind of sadly appropriate that Brannon Braga chose to end the show by effectively murdering Trip out of spite.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

CBS is apparently not interested in doing one. I agree it's dumb.

That's because Les Moonves (former UPN and current CBS president) vehemently hated/still hates science fiction television, and Star Trek specifically, despite what a cash cow it is for Paramount/CBS. Even when the show had a relatively secure future on UPN, the cast and crew would always sweat bullets around renewal season because there was always a risk that Moonves would push the big red button on them purely out of spite.

By the time Enterprise had limped through to season 4, it was finally weak enough for him to justify pulling the plug in a way that didn't immediately make him look like a spiteful prick.

So long as he's in charge at CBS, Star Trek will never return to television unless the demand for a new show becomes deafening.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 31, 2013

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's also helpful to note that he's kind of a huge hypocrite too since he's desperately trying to milk Under The Dome for all it's worth despite it being literally impossible for the show to last as long as he wants it to and when he got called on it he just blurted "WHY CAN'T THEY STAY UNDER THE DOME FOREVER!? IT'S SCIENCE FICTION!".

This is a man who willingly married Julie Chen. I have no problem believing he's capable of some gobsmacking acts of cognitive dissonance.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jimbot posted:

New Half in the Bag

The opening is priceless.

"She calls when I'm in the BATHROOM I gotta get up off the BATHROOM"

It really is. Also those little interludes with Mr. Plinket. These guys are the best at awkward, uncomfortable, visceral stuff like extreme close ups of Rich Evans eating bacon and butter. My arteries hurt just watching that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It would have been funnier if Brad was playing Snow, if only for the fact that there's like a foot-and-a-half height difference between him and how tall Snow is alleged to be by Square.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mutation posted:

For another guy angrily yelling about videogames, corporate greed, and sexism, Jim Sterling's Jimquisition series is pretty good too.

The downside is that it's on The Escapist, so uh, yeah.

The other downside is that Jim's a smug asshat too. The guy knows knows the video game industry like Paul Krugman knows economics or Ezra Klein knows politics, but that doesn't make him any less insufferable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LFK posted:

I think he gets that it's really, really hard to talk about video games with any sort of critical or academic tone without sounding like a complete tosser, so he decided to just go overboard with the whole V for Vendetta motif.

I mean, poo poo, look at this thread. Extra Credits, Errant Signal, Jimquisition, Feminist Frequency, Egoraptor, Movie Bob, and basically every other show that approaches video games from a more critical angle, be it industry or narrative deconstruction, gets slagged as "smug." I honestly think it's just the side effect of doing critical deconstruction on a medium as young and familiar as video games. By and large it seems the only way to avoid being dismissed as an asshat is to do the AVGN/Zero Punctuation thing and act like a bigger asshat than is humanly possible, and just slip in bits of critical deconstruction in between comedically absurd insults.

No, that's not my point at all. I mean as a person irrespective of his work, Jim Sterling comes across as a huge smug asshat, and it takes me out of said work whenever I go to watch or read anything he does. He's kind of the diametric opposite of Doug Walker when it comes to quality of critical/analytical content vs. general personality presentation. At least in my opinion.

StealthArcher posted:

On of these things is not like the other, one of these men is a giant shitstain, can you tell me which fucker is not like the other, before he calls an imam the epitome of anti democracy again?

I'm am a dumb, I saw Ezra Levant.
:stare:
loving hell, I would not cite Ezra Levant as a credible source on anything. Though good catch regardless.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

poparena posted:

I did a thing on Cybersix.

Ah, Cybersix, one of those early Aughts cartoons/anime that FOX KIDS bought purely on its premise and art style and then hastily buried when they found out what actually happened in said series. I swear, the stories behind Cybersix and Vision of Escaflowne are more interesting than either show at times.

I know you knocked it as being too monster of the week episodic, but a couple of those MOTW episodes were really strong, like "Terra" and "The Eye", which I saw clips of in your review.

Also, it's not explicitly stated in the series, but Jose is actually like 21 or something. He's actually a modified clone of Von Reichter engineered never to age beyond like 12 years old both physically and mentally so he could control him his entire life. It's why Jose acts so batshit crazy all the time; there is literally a million things wrong with his brain. Again, it's another one of those really hosed up aspects of the series that got buried in the transition to Saturday morning cartoon-hood.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 5, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Deofuta posted:

The Nostalgia Critic begins Nicholas Cage month with the 90s Woo directed action movie, Face/Off

Holy crap, the acting in this movie is both groan inducing and glorious. Travolta and Cage just keep building off each other the entire time. For those who are not fans of the skits, this one is pretty focused on the movie, with only a couple short skits, nothing feels overplayed.

Well wouldn't that just be the height of irony if Rachel got a job in Hollywood using Demo Reel as her demo reel.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DStecks posted:

I'm currently doing a Jimquisition binge, and I have to say that while Jim Sterling clearly knows what the gently caress he's talking about, he just does not have the charisma to pull off insane arrogance.

Christ, tell me about it. It's why I finally stopped watching him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Metal Loaf posted:

I've heard that Cage will be starring in a remake of Left Behind to be released this year.

God, that's gonna be a hilarious train wreck. It's got a budget of only $15 million (romantic comedies on average usually have $20M+ budgets these days), it was written by a pair of brothers whose only writing credits are crazy Bible books and the previous LB films, and it's directed by a first-time director whose previous credits were as a stunt coordinator for various other films. And it's coming out in the "gently caress You, It's January/Febuary/March" dumping ground.

It's been scientifically proven that you cannot wring a good story out of anything Left Behind-related. So all things considered, this one should be glorious. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

Edit: Oh god, I can not get through the newest retsupurae. They may have found the single most annoying Let's Player ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a658KWAmHd4

God. drat. That is insane. I only watched like two minutes of that and it somehow felt like I'd watched eight. And that goes on like that for 14 minutes? No, just... No.

Although I will admit, I did chuckle every time the guy growled "gently caress", purely because it was so unnecessary, over the top, and out of place.

• Locked thread