Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Since our last thread, I've released a new Cheapskate Reviews for Ali Baba and the Seven Saracens.

Also, word is out that Chez Apocalypse is adding Sursum Ursa's Stuff You Like to their lineup. Yay for her!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

New episode of Cheapskate Live! is here - The Diva of Musical Hell joins me to watch The Liberace Show.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

The Film Renegado Joins Channel Awesome! (Renegado covers Mexican-themed movies, and despite the fedora and the eye-watering green screen background, his show is good for a few laughs.)

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Benne posted:

New Ursa review: "Bend It Like Beckham"

http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/65-bend-it-like-beckham/

I haven't thought about this movie in years, and now I have a desire to go revisit it.

And that's why Ursa made it to the big leagues. I hope now that she has a faster Internet connection, she won't have to talk so drat fast to keep her episode length down, though.

Edit: Marzgurl will be doing a live episode of her Beyond the Black Rims podcast here, at 8:30 CDT tonight. I listen to the podcast when it touches on subjects I'm interested in, and I think that she's at her best when speaking semi-extemporaneously.

echopapa fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 4, 2013

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Another Cheapskate episode is here, and I hardly needed to make any jokes because Steven Seagal is in it. But I make jokes anyway. Here's Today You Die.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Ashens attempts to comprehend Larry the Cable Guy. And now I kinda want to see someone portray the Ashens version of the character.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

In the newest Cheapskate Live, we're digging through a mountain of Irish stereotypes to find The Secret of Granby Lane.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Brad made a new series about losers who decided to make an Internet Reviewing show to make money, starring Jake and Brian
http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/05/02/the-reviewers-behind-the-scenes-meet-space-lancer-steve.aspx

I'd always thought that Brad didn't watch the small-time reviewers who advertised on his site, but based on this, it would appear that he watched them very, very closely.

Edit: Another new Cheapskate Live episode is here, in which the Blockbuster Chick of the Agony Booth joins me to watch "The Little Cars."

echopapa fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 4, 2013

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

More Cheapskate, featuring a pre-ripoff of the Karate Kid. It's Karate Kids USA.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Trojan Kaiju posted:

It does. I have Adblock disabled for thatguywiththeglasses.com only, for example.

My understanding is that ads on TGWTG send money just to Doug Walker. The other producers don't get paid from ads on the TGWTG sites, they get paid from ads on Blip.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Marzgurl is trying out for the reality show "King of the Nerds.

She's certainly qualified, and I'd like to see her on TV, but she's not much of a drama magnet, so I don't know if I'd cast her if I were a producer.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Brows Held High returns with a double-feature from Peter Greenaway: Nightwatching and Rembrandt's J'Accuse.

A lot of location shooting here, and the wind messes with his audio a little, but otherwise strong.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

There's a whole genre of post-apocalyptic roller skating movies, and I'm reviewing one of the first, Roller Blade.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Lindsay mentioned on Twitter earlier that she is on an indefinite hiatus from Internet videos for awhile. She didn't go into details.

I suspect it has something to do with wrapping up the 50 Shades of Green project.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Sursum Ursa and I can't get enough Anglo-German sci-fi from the 1970s, so here we are talking over episode 3 of "Star Maidens."

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

I think so. She follows the Nostalgia Chick template, which resembles more of a written essay about a movie than a recap. Imagine if, instead of really wanting to be Daria, Lindsay Ellis really wanted to be Buffy, and you'll probably get how Jill's presentation style differs from Lindsay's.

She's also been a guest on my show a few times and is a lot of fun to talk to.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

MarzGurl wraps up her Don Bluth retrospective with the All Dogs Go To Heaven Christmas special.

This is the first time I've gotten a Blip video to load in its entirety since I moved here - I don't know if the problem is because my connection is slow or because I'm way the hell out of market.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

I'm back at work with another Cheapskate episode. Here's the crime thriller Impact.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

CanceledTVShow posted:

I just watched Cinema Snob's anniversary video The Reviewers and I think Brad and Co have become a little too obsessed with the negativity from their fanbase. I've noticed that a lot of the midnight screening videos have been going in that direction as well.

I dunno, I loved The Reviewers. Maybe it's because I see so many of these guys hanging out on the TGWTG forums.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Newest Cheapskate Review is here, in which I watch a Cinemax-type sleaze fest from the 21st century, Pineapple.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Blip.tv has been sold to PewDiePie's agent.

BRB, going to go dub me screaming "RAPE!!!" over all my videos.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

ApeHawk posted:

I think he was referring to the "blip.tv being sold to his agent" thing.

Story here. It's Maker Studios, who also run a whole bunch of other Youtube channels.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

My copy of the Team NChick book "Awoken" finally arrived, and if you're on the fence about buying it, I recommend you do so. It treats the YA genre like Matador Bugs Bunny treats a bull: poking harmless fun at it for long stretches of time, only to pull back the cape when the bull charges and reveal an anvil.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Today on Cheapskate Reviews: a fantasy flick from communist Romania in the vein of all those goofy Russian ones they used to show on MST3k.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

I got my copy of "Election Cycle," Oancitizen's short film, and I thought it was… okay? It felt unfinished, like the idea needed another ten or twenty minutes to flesh out. Then again, considering the time constraints he was working under, it's only natural that it had an unfinished feeling.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Zeether posted:

Apparently Blip is culling a bunch of videos? MikeJ and Film Brain were bringing it up on Twitter.

Edit: http://support.blip.tv/entries/23277196-An-Important-Update-from-Blip-Regarding-Account-Removals So basically if you're not making Blip any bank, your account's being pruned. drat.

A couple of Agony Booth producers have been cut. On the other hand, Cheapskate Reviews is still alive, so yay me?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

I haven't done a Cheapskate Live episode in a while, so I brought in Full of Questions from the Agony Booth to watch the Soviet kids' show "Cheburashka" with me. Results are here.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Elmyr posted:

I keep meaning to post the newer videos that I've done in here, but never actually do (though I certainly didn't want to swamp the thread with Licensed Games vids while I was busy doing THAT...stupid, ridiculous, insanity...fun though!). I should perhaps rectify that with the videos I've worked on recently.

Your videos are extraordinarily well-paced. The Cold War trilogy gave a fine synthesis of all three of those games without dragging on needless details.

Anyhow, here's the newest Cheapskate Reviews, featuring one of Orson Welles' lesser works.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

I hate to take up space in the thread like this, but Miss Wallace, what's the best way to contact you? I've found some material that I think would be right up your alley.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Most of the subjects I watch are public domain, but some are copyrighted and sent out into the Net through free digital distribution. The only takedown notice I ever got was from Sam "Ben and Arthur" Mraovich.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Jsor posted:

Do you ever feel constrained into a niche on TGWTG?

I think reviewing, in general, is a game of niches. The market for Internet videos is so flooded with fedora-wearing neckbeards* who are spouting off about whatever movie they happen to have seen that you're not really going to get attention for your own show if you're approaching the same material they are and doing it with the same approach.

Jay O and Marzgurl cover a lot of the same turf, but do it from different angles. Same with Cinema Snob and Diamanda Hagan. To start a show in a field as crowded as new releases, you'd need a remarkably unique spin on things - maybe a show focusing just on cinematography, or on the business aspects of films.

* granted, Mad Andy wears a fedora and is pretty good, but he's playing an insane character

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Numberfour posted:

Hello everyone, Cecil from Good Bad Flicks here. Been lurking for quite some time.

I jumped in with "Rad," because I realized it's been far too long since I called anything "rad." Anyway, you've got an effective formula and good technical skills. The one bit of advice I'd give is that when you're recapping, it's funnier if you don't just describe strange things that happen, but you also try to come up with a reason why the strange thing is happening. Example: "The mayor is a total sleaze" is less funny than "The town's elected a total sleaze as the mayor, no doubt because the citizens wanted a leader who could attract an AXE Body Spray manufacturing plant."

(may not actually be funnier, but you get the idea)

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

I think, deep down in her heart, Anita Sarkeesian would rather be reviewing Reddit than video games. And I think, deep down in my heart, that I would really like to watch that show.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

I've just uploaded the newest Cheapskate Reviews episode, featuring a look at the Turkish film industry in the 60s and 70s through a typical Yesilcam action thriller, Spy Smasher.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Ghostpilot posted:

I've been :argh:'ing Sons of Anarchy for the past few seasons and was set to quit this season a couple months back but goons asked me to keep up with it. Even with as horrible as that show is, I am thankful that it's not Charmed. Phoebe is bad, but Piper is absolutely insufferable. I struggle to see a moment in the recap where she's not a wretched, bitter, condescending harpy. She makes the latter-series Gemma from Sons almost likeable, and that's a hell of an achievement.

I suppose if you really wanted to, you could argue that Phoebe and Piper were turned into colossal assholes because they have to put up with supernatural garbage all the time and never get any thanks for it, the way old police officers and nurses burn out, but they were pretty clearly jerks from the beginning of the series.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

It's an all-goon episode of Cheapskate Live this week, as Obscurus Lupa joins me to watch an infomercial for the Ninja Kitchen System.

http://blip.tv/cheapskate/ninja-kitchen-6698067

This was a lot of fun to record. I think Lupa and I figured out how to play off of each other well.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Elmyr posted:

I would like to do some newer stuff, even if that's not always what the people want. Some of the newer game reviews have done OK because I've taken different angles on them or I've used gimmicks - Dys4ia in particular was way better received and viewed than I thought it would be...but it's still kind of a struggle. I want to give the channel a boost but I'm not sure what the best way of doing that is. I've never been all that good at selling myself :\

It'll depend on your goal with the show. If you're making the show to get a big audience and make money, then you're a slave to the audience's opinion, but if you want to make a show that appeals to you and let the hit count be incidental, you can make whatever you want.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Most people who review anime films are anime fans, so maybe it'll be refreshing to see someone who knows nothing about the style give one a watch? My newest episode features me watching Big Wars.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Brows Held Hiatus. He says he's got some freelance work lined up, so it sounds like things are going to be fine on his end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

DoD money definitely influences the content of films, but I think the content is targeted more at building PR support than actual recruiting, as the US military has been hitting its recruiting targets handily since the recession hit. In particular, Hollywood blockbusters make lots of money in Asian markets, and friendly American government characters could go a long way to influencing the Indian/Chinese/Japanese/whoever public to take a positive view of the Americans.

• Locked thread