Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

:biotruths: :siren: BIOTRUTHS (truths about Bioshock Infinite) ONLY THREAD :siren: :biotruths:

:siren:If you care about experiencing this game fresh you should definitely immediately slam dunk this thread into the garbage can and fist pump until you've finished Ken Levine's newest epic. The no-spoiler thread is here. We ride together we die together, Booker Boys 4 Life.:siren:

:siren:Did you just finish this game? Consider looking at the FAQ at the bottom before you post!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHz_0D6JH58
It can only help if you listen to this over and over again on loop as you read and post. Mods please embed.

So this game will be out in a few days, and surprise surprise it's a Ken Levine game with an extremely spoilable plot twist that will probably ruin your enjoyment if you see it. Who could have seen this coming?

The console versions are floating around, along with various livestreams thereof, and in their wisdom the mods have mandated that we get any discussion of these out of the other thread. You can discuss these things, along with any and all other elements of the plot, in this thread. Esteemed gaming sites such as Reddit and the 'GAF are already beginning to roil about some sure-to-be controversial gameplay features, and I suppose you can discuss these here, in the bright light of day, without imposing any inadvertent :biotruths: upon innocent goons. My understanding is that the review embargo breaks tomorrow (Thursday) evening, so we will surely have a lot to talk about then. Of course once legitimate copies of the game are available you can and should also post your personal impressions and such.

I'm very curious about how this game will turn out, and I think I speak for everyone when I say I'm hoping for the best. It's been many years and many millions in the making, let's see if Ken Levine and his team have delivered!

:biotruths: FAQ :biotruths:

Q: What the gently caress happened in this game? Huh? What? Wait, what?
A: This is under dispute. Here are two interpretations, take them with a grain of salt. http://i.imgur.com/u6ZVn0D.png http://i.imgur.com/8X1CQZv.jpg (thanks forums poster bear is driving!). If these are not to your satisfaction, join the club.

Q: Did Comstock buy the baby before or after the baptism?
A: For some reason the debate on this question continues to rage. Peruse the thread to see enlightened goons offering :biotruths: supporting each. For what it's worth I am personally more convinced by the after argument, and most people seem to trend that way.

Q: What was the deal with Songbird?
A: Possibly created by Fink by studying future technology through a tear. Possible identities include another version of Booker or a little girl enamored with Elizabeth, but there's no hard evidence for either.

Q: Who killed the guy in the lighthouse?
A: :iiam: but the Lutece twins are the most likely suspects. But perhaps that part of the game was just an illusion! :iiam: :biotruths:

Q: Is there anywhere I can see the audio logs I missed?
A: Here is a text dump of them from the game files.

Q: Did any of my decisions change anything?
A: Throwing the ball at the announcer gets you an extra piece of gear later on. Elizabeth sometimes wears the opposite brooch from the one you picked when the dimension jumping gets really wacky. If you don't threaten the man at the ticketing booth he stabs you in the hand and Elizabeth bandages it, which persists for the rest of the game. If you don't kill Slate you will find him being tortured later. Otherwise no.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

Hahaha, it's the loving Dark Tower.

Imagine four balls on a cliff. Booker works the same way.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

CJacobs posted:

My main theory was that Elizabeth could only take Booker as far as her own existence. As in, taking Booker back to when she was a baby was the extent of it and they could go no further just because she didn't exist before that. But that would only sort-of-kind-of make sense... which I suppose would fit well with the ending as is!

If there is a world created for every variation of what happens after either choice, then why does going back to the moment before it happened in one world stop it from happening in other worlds? It just doesn't quite make sense to me that there are hundreds of hundreds of worlds that just suddenly exist, spanning off of this one choice of Booker becoming Comstock or not. That would further imply that they went back to the first time it happened in the first world where it happened, which would not work because killing the Booker that went through the game would not kill the Booker that became Comstock or didn't, because they aren't the same person!

What I guess I'm saying here is that her drowning 'you', the player's Booker, does not make sense because you aren't the same Booker as the one that made the choice. The majority of the reason it doesn't make sense is because the ending takes place from the first person when Booker should be the one watching it from the outside perspective.

Congratulations, in the 24 hours or so that this information has been available, you have already thought more about the plot than Ken Levine and the gang did in five years.

I think anyone who has read my posts in the other thread would agree that I have tried to give this game the benefit of the doubt, but all the plot information is seriously depressing. I was prepared to forgive the hopelessly clunky looking combat if it was in service of an interesting and unique story. Instead we evidently have Looper: Steampunk Edition (Now with Extra Plotholes).

Very depressing. It could have been so much more than this, Ken :sigh:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Here's a crude but as far as I can tell accurate image making the rounds that may or may not answer some of the questions floating around in the thread v :shobon: v

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

It seems like there are at least 4 big twists they dump on you in the last 4 minutes;

-That the events of the story unfold slightly altered in a thousand different dimensions
-Booker has been pulled from one dimension to another
-Elizabeth is Booker's daughter
-Booker is Comstock

It's a lot to suddenly learn and I don't know how well any of this is foreshadowed, if at all. If not then it would probably wokr better if you learned some of these twists earlier on rather than right at the very end.

The whole thing is a very obvious and conscious reaction against the common complaint that the first Bioshock revealed the big twist too early, and then kind of left you twisting in the wind until the end.

So, of course, the answer is for this game to take it way too far in the opposite direction :shrug:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

I dont know if youve ever played Final Fantasy 13, but im sure youve heard the "Long Hallway" gossip. Basically, the first 11 chapters of the game really are a long hallway. Unlike modern FPS design (which is also a long hallway) FFXIII had a minimap, so it really pointed out the fact that you were just running in a single direction, constantly.

Chapter 12 had you land on the planet your home moon circles and instantly, the game opens up. Instead of being a long hallway, your minimap is showing a vast plain with lots of places to explore. You get a serious feeling of exhiliration, after 30 hours of being lead by the nose, you are finally free to do things your own way.

Lets look at Bioshock, the narrative is completly geared towards the feeling you get in FFXIII. Even if you dont know it, youre being lead around by the nose, and running down the cooridoors your told to run down. After you meet Ryan, you find out the truth about your situation, but after killing him and leaving Hephasteus, all that happens is you are given a second talking head in the form of Dr Tenenbaum to take orders from.

They make a huge deal about how you are on a leash but after the climax, you are just strung along by another master. If Bioshock had dropped you in Rapture as your own man, free to roam around and do as you pleased following your confrontation with Ryan, it would have been amazing. That feeling I felt when playing FFXIII would have been amplified because the narrative of the story went along with your sudden unleashing. A complete waste. It wouldnt be such a big deal if people didnt laud the Andrew Ryan reveal as being so amazing though.

An almost universally hated game like FFXIII made me feel what Ken Levine was going for way more than his own game did.

I felt like Ken Levine's storytelling chops were seriously overrated coming out of Bioshock 1, and the ending certainly seems to back me up insofar as none of his worst tendencies have changed in any real way.

We have the same reliance on the Big Plot Twist crutch to carry the story.

And we have the same impulse to borrow powerful political philosophy images and ideas without really exploring or commenting on them in any mature or thematic way. Maybe the full game will prove me wrong to some degree, but insofar as Bioshock Infinite was touted to be about religion and/or American exceptionalism and/or communism, those things are certainly not really material to the Time Travel Bullshit ending in any important way in my opinion.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

anti_strunt posted:

~twists~ are the drat jump scares of storytelling, in that they are for children

So seriously, all that talk of racism and the myth of american exceptionalism was just so much window dressing for a story about dads, or even worse just some dumb drat time travel paradox?

Columbia itself and its factions are pretty much totally irrelevant to everything that happens in the ending after Elizabeth goes time lord, and in my understanding they actually never even existed once all the Time Travel Bullshit has spun out.

Now that's some profound commentary about the great issues of our times.

In all seriousness I think Ken Levine (correctly) sees that the political/philosophical/historical images and ideas he lifts are powerful, and he includes them because they look cool and they make people who play the game think that the story is smarter than it actually is. But he's pretty much hopeless if he wades any deeper than "Aren't propaganda posters neat?" I mean, the deepest air-quotes insight about objectivism in Bioshock 1 is essentially that it doesn't work in actual society. :allears:

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 23, 2013

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I am not the least bit sorry for what I have done.

You are my favorite person. Straight to the OP with this sucker.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

oops, quote does not equal edit

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Out of curiosity, do any of the "choices" made in BS:I actually change anything significant? Or is Levine just talking out of his rear end again?

I mean, you don't throw the ball at the couple, they give you an item later. Woo.

I know this game is about loops and inevitability, but it seems like one of the things that got cut out was any sense of player choice, which is kind of *a big deal*.

Like most of the problems with this game, the lack of choice is an overreaction to the complaints critics had about choice in Bioshock 1 (see also: people didn't like having the twist in the middle of that game, let's put it in the last 5 minutes this time). Apparently someone thought that given that Bioshock had lame choices, Bioshock Infinite should just not have choices instead of, you know, trying to have good choices. :eng99:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

kuddles posted:

Okay, who sent Booker the telegram at the beginning of the game saying not to pick #77? I can only guess it's the Lutece siblings, but if they supposedly know the outcome before it happens, why send that message other than to mess with him?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but I'm like 95% certain that it literally said it was from Lutece on it. Unless you're thinking that someone else sent it but put Lutece's name on it?

edit:

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 28, 2013

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Dreylad posted:

Although I'm pretty much endlessly amused by the idea that this game ripped off the Zybourne Clock. Truly, a masterpiece that deserves its own AAA publishing deal.

My deepest regret is that I can't go back and add a lighthouse to some piece of Zybourne Clock art. Only then could I assert that Zybourne Clock is canon in this game :(

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Listen: Booker DeWitt has come Cumstock in time.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Bruceski posted:

The first image (and thread title) are terrible. They assume a time loop where Booker goes through Columbia and then becomes Comstock at the end. Booker and Comstock are the same person in different dimensions, not at different times, and while there are some tears to different times where people receive information, the only actual time-travel is at Comstock House (so Elizabeth can cheat Booker into being in the right place with the right information to free her) and at the end (to prune the Comstock branch of the dimensional tree entirely).

If you have an image that explains your view of what happened, then please provide it and I will add it to the OP. I can only make do with what people offer me. As for the thread title, I made it before the spoilers were at all clear in the slightest because I thought it was a funny joke, not as a means to advance my insidious understanding of the game, so perhaps you can relax about it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

MrAristocrates posted:

That stuff wasn't scrapped at the last minute. That demo is incredibly ambitious, and likely not working off actual AI but a mockup. That entire sequence is, in essence, a cutscene.

Sure, but you can't say that they didn't bring this kind of complaint upon themselves when they marketed the video as "15 Minutes of Gameplay Footage".

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Winky posted:

I'm sure whatever the reasons are, though, it would be fascinating. I know that the guys I talked to mentioned there being a Kotaku article about some of their setbacks? I wasn't able to find it.

Presumably referring to one of these two.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

It should also be pointed out that in one of Battleship Bay's maintenance areas an Irish worker says "the whole thing's rigged. All I wanted was fair pay for honest work", which strongly implies that the beach structure has been sabotaged or perhaps rigged to explode. Given how the beach is used nearly exclusively by civilians and their families, it's hard to square that with a version of Daisy who sweats through the night at the thought of children dying for her cause.

Are you being serious? I think it's extremely more plausible to read that line as "The whole [economic system] is rigged. All I wanted was fair pay [which I'm not getting] for honest work."

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

I never thought about it that way! Perhaps when Daisy says that Columbia will soon "see darkness" she means the Vox is going to impose lamp usage restrictions, or maybe she's using "darkness" to refer to black people, and her new egalitarian society will have Columbia finally recognizing the efforts and achievements of its black citizens. I certainly have no basis to assume she wishes harm upon anyone

Why are you equivocating Daisy's lines with the lines of some random worker in a boiler room again? Are you just full on trolling?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

I've got about as much basis for assuming that the Vox, who in the first universe are apparently irregulars / insurgents, are involved in industrial sabotage, as anyone has for assuming that Daisy's end was a cheap last-minute equivocation. People are trying to pass off their unhappiness at a (heavily telegraphed, with numerous precedents) heel turn into a weakness of narrative where one doesn't exist

I don't know why folks don't just go all ME3 thread and construct "headcanons" in which Daisy is a conquering paragon of justice

Seriously, what are you even talking about? You have no evidence that the character in question is even a member of the Vox Populi. He's just a guy working on a boiler who mutters to himself about how much his job and life suck. I've backed absolutely no horse about Daisy whatsoever, I just claimed that you were reading a ridiculous amount into a totally incidental line. I can't believe anyone would make your posts in seriousness though, so you're probably just trolling and I won't push this any further.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Winky posted:

We should maybe make an FAQ or something.

You're welcome to try. I have a very rudimentary one in the OP but I haven't had much time in the last few days to work out the thread consensus and add to it in a careful way. If you do produce anything I will add it in.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Blue Raider posted:

Here's two for ya:

Q: Who killed the guy in the lighthouse? A: There's no definite answer, but the only plausible suspects are the Lutece's.
Q: Who/what is Songbird? A: A man/machine hybrid tasked with guarding Elizabeth. Possibly created by Fink by studying future technology through a tear. Possible identities include another version of Booker or a little girl enamoured with Elizabeth, but there's little supporting evidence of either.

Thanks, I added these with some small edits. If anyone cares to think of more, it is in your interest to do so lest we fall into the endless cycle of new people coming in and asking old questions.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

This needs to go in the OP, I think.

As you say. I briefly summed up what effect the choices have as far as I know.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Nickname Pending posted:

I've been wondering: If Columbia hates Lincoln, why did they make a motorized patriot of him?

The Founders didn't make those, the Vox Populi did. You only get Lincoln ones once you start fighting the Vox.

sick efb 4x combo

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

VJeff posted:

In an interview, Ken Levine said "We chose quality over quantity." when talking about the game's length, which is perceived as overly short (which normally I wouldn't care about but when you're charging :20bux:, it's up there).

Ken, I got news for you. You chose neither.

He chose Rapture. :rimshot: :haw: :downsrim:

In all seriousness though this DLC was just awful. I hope Ken Levine experiences some creative recharge in the six years or whatever before his next game comes out, because holy poo poo is he ever running on empty at this point.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

bobjr posted:

I don't understand BaS2, and I'm not even going to try to. The gameplay was fun if broken, but god drat I'd hate to see the writing process for this one.

"Most of us are getting fired anyway, let's just get Ken's pig slop down on the page so we can go work on our resumes"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Wait a minute, why the gently caress is Yi Suchong in the department store with everyone else? Ryan wasn't trying to punish him for anything, was he?

In andrew ryan's capitalist wonderland getting to work in the department store is the highest honor.

This is probably what ken levine would actually BS up if you asked him.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sithsaber posted:

Are there any good infinite mods?

No, there are none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If I could go back in time, I would go back to the original Zybourne Clock threads and post a steampunk lighthouse concept art. Alas.

• Locked thread