Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Grab the riders and the Scimitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Scimitar, Shield, and 4 Riders

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Two Elite Warlords, Two Elite Wolfriders, Elite Orc Shaman, Shield of the Bog.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
You make this game look really easy. Does it just look that way, or has the AI really such small chances against your heroes and Elites?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The AI isn't that great and has a fascination with lower-level troops, especially with certain races. The Orc Warlords are simply amazing at butchering tier 1 and many tier 2 troops and heroes are just plain OP in this game which is why they get nerfed so hard in the next two

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Two Elite Goblin Wolfriders, Two Veteran Goblin Wolfriders, the Shield of the Bog, and the Golden Scimitar. The remainder is up to you.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Current vote status:

Shield of the Bog: 5
Golden Scimitar: 4
Elite Wolf Rider: 4
Elite Wolf Rider: 4
Veteran Wolf Rider: 3
Veteran Wolf Rider: 3
Elite Orc Warlord: 2
Elite Orc Warlord: 1
Elite Orc Shaman: 1

Though the JJ did not bold his post I counted it as a vote for the Scimitar due to its content.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

AJ_Impy posted:

Grab the riders and the Scimitar.

Always go for this.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Shield of the bog and two Warlords

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Shield of the bog + Scimitar + as many riders as possible

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Bog-standard shield, scimitar and a shitload of wolf riders.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

LorrdErnie posted:

Get the golden scimitar, bog shield and one of the warlords.

This has my vote.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The map has been played. It turned out... differently than I would have expected.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Taerkar posted:

The map has been played. It turned out... differently than I would have expected.

Oh god, everyones dead! :derp:

If thats the level im thinking of, i had a real bastard of a time. Took one of the cities up from where you start and had to hold it for a very, very long time without ever going on the offensive.

Ill jam that into spoiler tags, just to err.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 11, 2013

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cult of Storms Mission 5: The Goblin Rebellion (Part One)

(Probably not the right name, and I forgot to check the music again, sorry)

We leave the Warlords and the other Orcs behind, entrusting those great warriors to whip the rest of the Orcs up into a proper frenzy for later. Gorthak's pack accompanies me as we head off to deal with this foolish rebellion, his riders quite eager to deal with Goblins that are even more cowardly than usual.

Upon arrival at a nearby Orc outpost that hasn't fallen to the Keepers I divide my forces. Gorthak and his riders set off immediately to scout our surroundings as well as prey upon any suitable foes. I take the resident Orc forces with me and move out after Gorthak, handling any fortified location that we may come across.

Gorthak's first conquest in this land is a nearby Human city, the brave but hapless men defending it put up a fight but are largely ineffectual against his pack. As before I decide to let the Humans remain, but they will be as the Goblins, subservient to my greater power.

My own force overwhelms the small garrison of a nearby Halfling hamlet. They are not allowed to stay, of course, and soon the little annoyances are being chased out by Orc 'settlers'.

To aid Gorthak's scouting, especially with all the rivers in the area, I summon forth a new magical eagle and direct it to the south. Finding his own advance blocked by the river, Gorthak's pack heads down underground.

His delving pays off quickly as the pack discovers a rather lucrative vein of gold that can be exploited. After marking it for our use they continue deeper into the tunnels.

I call upon my magical powers to freeze a section of the river for a short period of time, allowing for my troops to cross to the opposite shore without the need of a boat. Upon making landfall we rapidly assault a pair of towns on the other side, one a large Human city and the other a small Orc outpost that had somehow fallen to this Goblin rebellion. The Shaman with me was busy long into the night 'restoring' the Orc nature into those fools.

To no surprise Gorthak finds some dwarves underground. Their small outpost is easily captured by the dangerous pack, most of the Dwarves falling before they can raise their axes.

Not far from the two new towns that I captured there are a pair of old castle ruins. After ensuring that both new conquests would properly obey my commands my troops set out for the southern one. After defeating the rogue Orcs that were inside I found a rather powerfully enchanted suit of armor within its depths, along with a pair of magical shields.

My eagle continued to scout the land, eventually taking a teleporter ring to the south that transported it up north. Near where it emerged there was a Wizard's enclave. The spell that they offered was of limited use, but still of use so I decided to accept their offer of it.

I soon found cause to use that spell as a large number of crazed Goblin suicide bombers were spotted to the south of my newest conquest. The new spell brought up a whole host of blessed woods, holy energy running through them. The Goblins were not crazy enough to travel through those woods, but it bought me enough time to react to their presence.

Me posted:

The AI simply will not move through something that can potentially cause damage to it. This is why pestilence clouds are so incredibly powerful against the AI. Drop one on them and they will simply sit there and take it until it wears off, even if their chances of being affected are rather small. The Holy Woods will wear off in a few turns

Just south of them was the leader of the Halfling forces in this area, along with his champion. The presence of the two so close to that Goblin pack left no doubt that they were involved with this uprising.

But before they can be dealt with this delicate situation must be defused. Fortunately for us the swarm of bombers has become a bit spread out, allowing for us to deal with them piecemeal. Magical lightning shocks most of them, leaving the would-be bombers helpless before my Orcs. At the end every bomber has been dealt with, without a single one managing to detonate its payload.

After that victory we head out to the east and eliminate the rebellious Goblins in a nearby town. The proper order is reintroduced to them, the point made with lash and vicious Orc sword.

Gorthak's pack continues their exploration underground, where they find a large Goblin city nestled into the twisting caves. The feeble defenders of it are but fodder for his pack and the great Goblin warrior is quick to reeducate his wayward kind.

At the same time I continue to the east, heading further into this rebellious infestation, purging the Keeper influence from one Goblin village or another. Against my seasoned force of Orcs the Goblins have no chance.

Me posted:

An Elite Orc Swordsman is completely brutal. He has a 20% chance of one-shotting most T1 units and a 40% chance of one-shotting Halfings/Goblins/Frostlings due to their 4 HP

(Also Night Vision, Strike, Walking)

(Also Regeneration, Strike, Walking)
After taking a nearby watchtower from the Goblins I was finally able to learn the identity of the would-be Goblin leader. A fat excuse for a Goblin, Gurki was a good example of what would happen to any Goblin that fell prey to the Keeper words, transformed into a pretend Halfling, a mockery of everything Goblin. He would make a good example of what will happen to any Goblin that dares to turn against the Cult soon enough.

Underground Gorthak happened across an old and forgotten crypt that had been overrun with giant spiders. From it he found an enchanted staff and a blade dripping with venom. The Scimitar he carries is still more useful to him than that Dagger, but he kept both items with him to ensure they do not fall into the wrong hands.

The foolishness of these Goblins has been proven once more today. Gurki and his Champion rode forth to engage my group at the watch tower that we had taken from him, apparently planning to use a bombardier to blow a hole in the walls of the tower. In the end he bit off more than he could chew as we struck down both Gurki and his Champion, as well as those goblins that were too foolish to flee. This 'Rebellion' is now over.

Me posted:

This was a lovely little comedy of idiocy on the AI's part. The Bomber is technically a siege unit, but it's just not that great at breaking walls in actual combat. When the bomber went off he damaged the walls (And set one on fire), but since the wall wasn't breached the Goblin forces started to retreat. Well, save for their Heroes as both had been struck by chain lightning and stunned. Eventually after half of the Goblin force left the burning wall collapsed and the AI went 'Now I can win!'. He didn't. RIP Elite Orc Swordsman.

But while the conspirators are now dead, there are still those present here who spurred this conspiracy to action. Both Dwarven and Halfling Keepers are present here in numbers and they must both be dealt with.

To Be Continued

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is the reason I prefer the siege system of AoW2. Although it is nice how you can abuse the system as a player. There are similar things if you have a flier-only army and take out all their shooters.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Cult of Storms Mission 5: The Goblin Rebellion (Part Two)

Though the rebellion itself has been quashed and the conspirators have been properly dealt with (Eventual Death is 90 days away now), there is still the matter of those responsible for their foolishness. One factor, the Dwarves, are far from my reach right now, but the other, the Halflings, are currently in the process of offering themselves to me.

In fact they are only a few days march from where I am right now, my journey barely delayed as I 'collect' a few of the Goblin stragglers from the rebellion and offer them a choice: They can die then and there, or they can serve out a life's sentence as my vanguard. Very few choose the former choice.
I suspect that a few may flee when they think the opportunity presents itself, but for the time being they will be useful as fodder, and will even be useful from time to time. Bolstered with these additional Goblins we advanced on the Halfling lands and found their leader at a poorly defended town. His guard fight valiantly but are quickly overwhelmed by my forces.

One of the two facilitators now lies dead, but one still remains. The Dwarves are dug into the northern mountains, the only access to them either by boat or by caves. We will take the latter.

Gorthak's pack is to my north after emerging from the caves below. They are heading to the northwest but first stop off at the ruins I did not explore earlier and slay a few stragglers from the Halfling forces that were inside.

After that it was a quick strike across the bridge into the Dwarven border fort located on the other side. The walls of the Dwarven fortification pose little challenge to Gorthak, nor do the halflings and their wooden palisade, effectively securing that flank and pinning the Dwarves in further. They will receive no support from those locations anymore.

I am busy in the south, currently traveling away from the Dwarven lands as I move through the former Halfling territory, mopping up what few Halflings still linger in these lands. They cannot be allowed to remain after all.

Gorthak's pack has gone underground again, following up a lead to the location of the secret tunnels that will take them to the Dwarven lands. Not long after descending into those tunnels his pack finds a monster nest, where more than a few unwary travelers have met their end as they journeyed nearby. Their former possessions now belong to Gorthak.

Meanwhile my force has finally started to head north towards the location of an ancient temple that was spotted many weeks ago. Inside we find mostly creatures of the dark that have claimed it as their home, but also a few relics of a bygone era, including a charged rod.

As I travel north to deal with the Dwarves I receive an interesting request. Some of the Humans wished to create what they call a Knightly Order to further my dominion over these lands. While I do not understand what their intention of this is, I will not turn my back upon such effective troops, especially after how quickly they overrun and capture two Keeper settlements. Those present in the settlements have been removed, to be replaced by more loyal Humans.

My Eagle has returned to the Northeast, investigating the Elven farmlands once more. The Dwarves have established a small post of their own there, but in the long run it is something that is not of any real concern to me.

And that is because the end is drawing near. Gorthak's pack has claimed a foothold in the Dwarven lands,not too far from their capital. I bend time and space around my troop, bringing us to this new conquest so that we may join up with Gorthak and end this.

As we head North towards their fortress I learn of the name and nature of my foe. The legendary Dwarven hero Brack is my final foe here. An incredibly competent warrior and dabbler in the magical arts, he promises to be quite a challenge to take down. But his end is inevitable.

For whatever reason the Dwarves are not content to just hade behind their thick walls at the beginning of the siege, instead a number of them rush out from beyond the safety of their fortifications to try and engage my troops directly, not a very good idea.

Not being the type to squander such an opportunity when it presents itself I have my troops allow them to emerge from beyond their walls, waiting until the last of them is beyond their metal embrace before we struck. In what seemed like only a matter of moments the Dwarven defenders were dead, their leader the sole survivor as he cowered behind the great walls.

I doubt he even knew Gorthak was there before he was struck down.

So much for their hero. He didn't seem to be all that dangerous in person. Perhaps justanotehr thing that benefits from retelling over and over again.

But even with one more matter solved more issues rear their ugly heads. The Orcs are itching for a war, and a war is what I will give them. The Humans here that have sworn themselves to me will be allowed to stay, but the same might not be true for their fellows. That fate will be determined later.

Finally the second part of this mission was here. Aside from the foolishness of the Goblins and the strange passiveness of the halflings this was a fairly decent mission. I disbanded some units before the scenario ended to make sure we have the right caliber of choices for the next one:

More detailed information will come tomorrow in a separate post.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Voting Time:

313 points available after Gorthak

Items

Venemous Dagger, +1 Attack, +2 Damage, Poison Strike: 125 points
Enchanted Staff, +1 Attack, Magic Strike: 85 points
Golden Scimitar, +2 Attack, +1 Damage, Extra Strike, Magic Strike: 175 points

Enchanted Plate Mail, +2 Defense, +1 Resistance: 120 points

Enchanted Helm, +1 Defense: 40 points

Lightning Shield, Lightning Protection, +1 Defense: 75 points
Enchanted Shield, +1 Defense, +1 Resistance: 90 points
Great Shield, +2 Defense: 110 points
Shield of the Bog, +1 Defense, Poison Protection: 10 points
Shield of the Forest, +1 Defense, +1 Resistance, Poison Protection: 75 points

Ring of True Sight, True Seeing: 75 points
Ring of Protection, +1 Resistance: 35 points

Lightning Wand, Lightning Bolts: 130 points

Units

4x Elite Goblin Wolfriders: 28 points each
Veteran Goblin Shaman: 26 points
2x Regular Goblin Shamans: 26 points each
3x Regular Goblin Darters: 11 points each

Also a bonus vote option:

How should I treat the Humans from here on out? We've got a few behind us that are properly loyal to Vhendor, but those in front of us are not (yet), so should we:

A) Burn them from these lands?

-or-

B) Let them live as more of our pawns?

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 16, 2013

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
The Scimitar and the Platemail

Because we've already seen the poo poo outta those goblins.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oof. All the AI worries about is if they have at least one unit capable of breaking down walls before they start laying siege?

Actually, being terrible at siegecraft is probably fitting for the Goblins.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yeah, the Goblin Bomber is a really strange 'siege' unit, it's a one-shot that doesn't even do enough damage by itself to break a wooden wall, but it CAN set the wall on fire and potentially kill it that way.

However, it does count as a siege unit, which allows for what happened in the first scenario where I used a single one to capture multiple walled locations that were undefended.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
B. Never sacrifice a pawn if you can use it as a weapon to kill other people's pawns.

Take the Pack.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Golden Scimitar
Bog Shield
4 Elite Wolf Riders

B. Let the loyal humans live

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

KnoxZone posted:

Golden Scimitar
Bog Shield
4 Elite Wolf Riders

Agreeing with this.

At least until we get to the valley with the intent to turn it all into a pyre.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Bog shield
Ze pack
How much does the Ring of Protection cost?

B
Yeah, we're not going to exterminate all the humans, we're going to leave them a message that they'll never forget - That they are insignificant compared to Vhendor and that they'll never rule their own kingdom in these lands ever again.

edit: Oh, take that ring as well, then.
vvvvvvvvvvvvv

my dad fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 16, 2013

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's 35 points. I updated the list.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

KnoxZone posted:

Golden Scimitar
Bog Shield
4 Elite Wolf Riders

Voting for this

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Current voting results:

What we take:

Elite Wolf Rider: 5
Golden Scimitar: 4
Bog Shield: 4
Ring of Protection: 1
Enchanted Plate Mail: 1

Humans:

A) Burn them all: 0
B) Let them live as pawns: 5

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Taerkar posted:

Humans:

A) Burn them all: 0
B) Let them live as pawns: 5

Woah, i voted for "Let them live until we burn them all in the valley of wonders.", just sayin'. :colbert:

Heh, now i really want you to do that. Get to the valley of wonders level and set out to raze every city and structure to the ground but that strikes me as an incredibly dickish move since you'd end up with, what, 3 cities and a handful of structures? :v:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

KnoxZone posted:

Golden Scimitar
Bog Shield
4 Elite Wolf Riders

A. But Burn Them All
. They are a pestilence that has infected the land!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Shadowmorn posted:

Woah, i voted for "Let them live until we burn them all in the valley of wonders.", just sayin'. :colbert:

Heh, now i really want you to do that. Get to the valley of wonders level and set out to raze every city and structure to the ground but that strikes me as an incredibly dickish move since you'd end up with, what, 3 cities and a handful of structures? :v:

Actually, I played the final mission in a similar way. All except for 1 human city which I converted to dark elves and used as my main base of operations. People who played the game probably know which one I'm talking about.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Shadowmorn posted:

It's a perfectly viable tactic If you have a certain Death spell

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Taerkar posted:

It's a perfectly viable tactic If you have a certain Death spell

A very, very viable tactic for any mission, in fact.

Are you going to be doing a quick Cult->Undead playthrough or are you going to do the Keeper campaigns after this one?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm going to leave that up to voting. It also depends on how much more I want to play of AoW 1 before I move on to AoW 2. The more I play 1, the more I miss some of the changes in the later games.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Burn them all, leave no survivors. (burn our human "allies" as well, they should've known what they deserve for being filthy humans.

Taerkar posted:

The more I play 1, the more I miss some of the changes in the later games.
Funny how I react similarly to 2 and Shadow Magic - the longer I play them, the more I miss 1 :v:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Don't want you to burn out on AoW1, but I do have fond memories of the Dwarf missions and would love to see them done.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Main thing I prefer about the later games is combat movement and the the increased range of stats. They still have problems with some units being just plain better than others, of course.

And I miss Siege Tanks

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Taerkar posted:

Main thing I prefer about the later games is combat movement and the the increased range of stats. They still have problems with some units being just plain better than others, of course.

And I miss Siege Tanks

LEPRECHAUNS!!! :argh:

I would rather see the undead side saved for the keepers, but what do i know? :v:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Two of the Dwarf missions are my absolute favorite missions in the game, and it would be a shame if you did not play the keepers campaign at all. Luckily, we have basically no choice in the keepers campaign, as we already played all the alternate routes in the cult campaign.

And seconding the "missing the other title" bit. It is a trap. Every time I get the urge to replay AoW1 or 2, I have to replay the other title as well (but not Shadow Magic). But I will say more about that when you play AoW2.

Edit: Also the Elves keepers ending is the "canon" ending if I recall correctly.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It is.

• Locked thread