Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Gorthak and his multispecies Riders. Our faithful pack will serve us well all the way to the valley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Current voting results:

Gorthak the Black: 7
Azktor the Unholy: 4

Other choices:

Elite Wolf Rider: 5
Turtle Catapult: 5
Elite Frog Rider: 3
Elite Chevalier: 3
Regular Chevalier: 3
Halfling Rogue: 2
Orc Assassin: 2
Enchanted Mace: 1

I'll be playing the next map tomorrow evening.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cult of Storms Mission 7: Blackwater Lake

Your update music selection: Peacefully Deceptive

From our stronghold at the mouth of the Serpent River I set out with Gorthak and his riders, confident that we can handle anything that dares to oppose us.

Gorthak takes his riders to the east, investigating reports of a prison located in a small mountain valley. I myself head to the south, exploring the roads, while the Lizardmen that accompanied us go to the west, crossing the river before the bridge.

The Dungeon of Grief, according to the sign. Gorthak's group reaches it and begins to explore the nearly-forgotten structure.

Eventually they emerge again, accompanied by a Green Wyvern that was apparently being kept inside. The guardian of the dungeon was a great Syron, an incredibly dangerous foe.

A foe that nearly proved to be the end of Gorthak. The elite goblin rider was near death when his group returned from the dungeon, so I crafted a healing vial for him and sent it off with a quick messenger.

The Lizardmen I sent to the west found a Wizard Tower that was offering a spell to interested buyers. Yet again it was Tornado, a useful spell, no doubt, but not to me as I already know it.

Gorthak's troop continues to the east, overrunning a few poorly defended towns and raising my flag over them. We have our first contact with the Dwarves in this land, slaying one of their boar riders and claiming a sizable town for my banner.

A decent sized Dwarven and Halfling force shows up, no doubt in response to the loss of their town. At the head of it is a Dwarven Champion, but one only recently elevated to such a position, he is inexperienced, like his men, and that will prove to be his downfall.

Not wanting to risk any unnecessary losses, I join up with Gorthak's party and we attack the Dwarven group. It is good to see the riders in battle personally once more. They act with such coordination and unison that I do not think that there is any one force that can stand up to them anymore.

The Green Wyvern that we freed earlier is in the center of the lake, heading towards the south. I think it may be searching for a place to live, but the islands in the middle of the lake are not promising.

I ;eave Gorthak's group once more, investigating another Wizard Tower in the area. His riders continue on and quickly overwhelm another small garrison left behind by the dwarves.

Highman Swordsman posted:

The common Highman Swordsman is proficient in the use of a long sword in melee combat. Like all of their race, Highmen Swordsmen are resistant to Holy energies and cannot be deceived by illusions, as they see the truth. Highmen move quickly over the earth, constantly about their holy causes. Because Highmen are Pure Good alignment they do not spend much time in diplomacy, and some of the good races may have difficulty adapting to their tactics, luckily the Highmen are relatively powerful and very independent and manage to survive without depending upon alliances alone.
The Lizardmen I sent to the west encounter a new hamlet occupied by 'Highmen'. They resemble the Humans in many ways, but are not quite the same. There's just something about them that seems... too good? I am at a loss for words. Right now I have the Lizardmen avoid them and continue their exploration.

Gorthak's party spots an interesting structure to the east of the most recent Dwarven town to fall to them. It is an arena, a location of skilled trial combat. They offer their services to any individual that is interested, well-designed training to improve the quality of any troop that enters, without the risk of death that combat would bring. All for a price, of course.

The Wizard Enclave here offers a much more useful spell than the previous one. It is something that I hope I will not need to use, but it is good to have access to such a thing in case the worst happens.

I can now see the last fortification of the Dwarves, a fairly small village that the leader of their expedition to this land hides behind.

Highman Archer posted:

Highman archers are about average in their abilities with the possibility of becoming more skilled as they practice and put forth their best efforts. Like all of their race, Highman archers are protected from Holy attacks and are able to spot invisible and concealed creatures as if they were clearly visible to all. The tall and stately Highmen move quickly over the earth, and go about their holy work without distraction.
With him are more of the Highmen, including a few of their archers. Despite their strange ways, they are still mortal and thus can easily be dispatched.

Air Elemental posted:

Air Elementals are whispy flying humanoids, made visible only by the dust and moisture carried in the dense concentrations of air that form their bodies. The lack of a solid form makes these Elementals immune to a large number of attacks. Lightning, however, is capable of harming Air Elementals, as it super-heats the air and causes it to rapidly expand and disperse. Pure magical energy is also capable of damaging them. Offensively, the Air Elemental is capable of dealing a solid physical blow by casting up debris and knocking their opponents about with strong concentrated gusts of wind.
Like most Elementals, Air Elementals are summoned at gates or by powerful wizards.
Further to the East I sense the presence of an Air Node, a great source of magical energy, for one that knows how to tame the winds. Unfortunately it is guarded by a number of Air Elementals, dangerous creatures to deal with.

My small party joins up with Gorthak's riders again as we assault the Dwarven stronghold. As with the fight against their hero, the forces here are quite dedicated, but lacking in practical experience. They don't have a chance against my forces. At the end the Dwarven leader lies dead and his empire in ruins. It is not completely one-sided, however, as the least experienced of the Frog Riders with Gorthak falls to Highmen swords.

http://lpix.org/1177081/M7%20-%2008%20-%20Unpleasant%20Undead.png
With their fall some unpleasant news is brought to me. The rumors of undead beneath the waters are true, as a small pack of them emerged from the lake and took over a town to the south of me. I rode forth with my two Chevaliers and quickly destroyed them, but their taint upon the land will take more time to cleanse.

In the west, a group of humans under my banner set off to explore the ruins located before. They find them to be infested with giant spiders but are able to clean them out, with some losses. Unfortunately they cannot transport the items found within, but they mark them for their eventual recovery.

The survivors of that expedition, along with some Goblins and Lizardmen, assault the Highmen hamlet, easily overcoming the defenders and securing it without any further casualties.

Not all of the news from the west is good news. The Humans have landed a small force of men behind my lines. Fortunately they do not have siege equipment with them, so most of my settlements will be safe, but a few are not protected by walls, so that will be something that will have to be dealt with.

Further complicating matters is the appearance of one of the Human's heroes to the east of my newly conquered lands. A small incursion, but one that will require immediate action before it becomes more of a problem.

Not all of the news is bad news, however. A sizable migration of Lizardmen arrive to claim the town I just captured from the Undead, and with them is a Lizardman Hero, Resh Redhead. A practiced spellcaster, he is also able to breathe out great bursts of fire. It is said that the blood of dragons runs through him.

I head to the east with Resh and the Chevaliers to engage the Human Hero and his small contingent. This gives me the opportunity to evaluate Resh in combat and I find him to have great promise, with the proper tutelage.

Across a small river to the south I find another Wizard Enclave. The spell they offer, Swarm, is an interesting one. Normally it would be something that I cannot learn due to my dabbling in the water sphere, but the Wizards at the tower show me how to cast it around that restriction.

Further to the east I find a forgotten ruins. Inside we find a small group of human plunderers who foolishly do not leave when we give them the chance. After dispatching them we find two items of significant power inside, artifacts that I have encountered similar examples of in the past.

Shortly afterwards I encounter yet another hero of the humans, this one a Highman who has associated himself with his 'cousins'. He travels with an interesting force, accompanied by a Chevalier of his own and a great fire-spewing weapon, along with normal infantrymen.

Flame Thrower posted:

Originally created by Dwarves for large cooking jobs, other races quickly noticed the possibility of using the Flame Thrower as a weapon of war. The design was quickly copied by the Builders Guild and can be built for a price. Flame Throwers spew flames over a small area, incinerating all in their way.

In order to discourage him from attempting any forays into my lands, I blast his small group with an Altar of Fire that I had recently taken control of. Though the Highman himself escapes harm, the rest of his party does not, causing him to retreat to the south.

I leave the defense (and eventual expansion) of that area in Gorthak's capable hands as I head down into a local access to the underground. At the very least I need to make sure this is not a vulnerability to my defenses, and I especially need to root out and destroy any nests of the Undead here.

Above me Gorthak probes the Human lands as he attempts to create a picture of the challenges that we're facing. They possess a powerful altar of lightning, able to blast a small part of the land with incredible energy. There is also a significant number of Human Troops near their capital.

A very significant number of troops, in fact.

Underground I find a small number of settlements, half of which have been overrun by the undead, but the rest are held by a mixture of Dwarves and Humans. I also locate the ruins of an underground fortress, the items I find within it suggesting that it was once the home of a force dedicated to restraining the undead threat that lurks down here.

(Also Physical Immunity, Poison Immunity, Regeneration, Strike, and Walking)

Undead Wraith posted:

Wraiths are thought to be powerful spirits, which are of such power as to enter the world of the living, even without a rift. Often these are spirits of great malevolence, slighted by the realm of the living and obsessed with need for vengeance. Even so, being long dead, they may only enter the life realm partially and, as such, are ethereal in nature. They can not be harmed by most forms of attack, and feed upon the living to gain strength in the physical realm. They leech living souls, drawing in their life energies to continue their murderous work upon the world. Wraiths are susceptible to a Cleric's power to Turn Undead, or to magic based attacks.
Not far from those ruins we find a small cluster of Wraiths haunting a long-abandoned hamlet. Knowing how difficult such creatures are to deal with, I enchant the weapons of my group, allowing for us to harm them.

That preparation proves to be a good idea, allowing for us to deal with those vile things without any difficulty. They rely so much upon their intangible nature that they don't know how to deal with something that can actually hurt them.

Further to the south in the caves I find a strange shrine. The blood-like water that flows from it has an incredible effect upon anyone that partakes of it, empowering one's 'killer instinct', but at the expense of self preservation. A shrine to the idea that the best defense is a good offense.

(Also True Seeing, Turn Undead II, Walking)

Highman Saint posted:

Unlike other races, Highmen have no priest class, as traditionally defined in other societies. Responsibilities traditionally held by clergy are distributed throughout all members of their race, with one ruling body called the High Council. As such, the race maintains a higher level of spirituality and a strong focus on "eternal" things. Highmen Saints are watchmen --spiritual laborers -- decrying wicked worlds and bringing worlds together under the safe refuge of righteousness. They have strong persuasive abilities, convincing others of the evil of their ways. They provide refuge for their converts, bringing them in harmony with their race. These charismatic Saints are gifted healers, rebuke the Undead, and strike their enemies with the powers of heaven. Saints are not necessarily gifted fighters, but do not fear death and many have rejoiced to die as martyrs.
The concerns that brought me down underground are further justified as I locate a fairly sizable force of Highmen and Humans traveling underground. They are led by a pair of priests, or at least a human priest and one of the Highmen Saints.

They flee at my approach, and when we give chase to them we happen upon an old monster lair. My suspicions prove to be correct as among the lair we find yet more evidence of that fallen order, including a longsword empowered with holy energies.

In the northern reaches of the caverns I have a magical eagle exploring over the great pools of lava. It finds and claims a great font of firey energy, but then I lose contact with it. I continue to the south with my troop and encounter a new foe in these lands, an Orc warlord that has employed the use of the undead to bolster their forces.

Not wishing to get caught between two opponents I decide to leave the tunnels for now and emerge to the south of the Human fortress. Shortly after my eyes are greeted by the sun a messenger reaches me and tells me that another hero has rallied to my cause. I am pleased with this bit of information, then surprised to learn that the hero is a Dwarf. I live in very interesting times.

We push to the north, taking advantage of their poor defenses down here. A handful of settlements fall to my men and I continue deeper into their lands before I draw within view of their main camp.

(Also Vision II)

Gold Dragon posted:

Gold Dragons are the wisest of all dragonkind. They are patient with the younger races, and protect the sources of life and its power in the realm. They will own serve good and do not tolerate races that ally themselves with the forces of death.
They have a highresistance to magic, and their bright golden scales are strong armor against physical attack. They are quite hearty and are resistant to fire. With their breath they can channel a cone of holy life energies at an opponent, which burns away all but the pure in heart.
The sight of a pair of gold dragons flying in the air above the encampment is a rather worrying sight. This is something I am not well equipped to deal with on a singular basis, let alone a pair of them. Just as I give the order to start retreating back to the south disaster strikes.

The Human forces spot my party's presence and quickly move to surround me on all sides. With no means of escaping before me, I find myself to be in a very perilous position.

I have two choices, I can either wait for them all to attack me, trapping me between their great host, or I can take the initiative and attack their lines at their weakest point and try to force my way free from their trap.

There is really only one choice, after all, and the section of their encirclement that I choose to attack is where their leader is, giving me the opportunity to take care of him as well. The three Chevaliers with us form a wedge to punch through their lines while Resh and I follow behind them and call upon our magical powers.

Among their number is a Highman Avenger, a crusader against the forces of evil.

Highman Avenger posted:

The sole purpose of the Avenger is to seek out those evil beings who have gravely wronged another. Lightly armed and armored, the Avenger is particularly well trained for quick pursuit in any conditions - through forests or caverns and over mountains or bodies of water. He can see through any deception and easily spot concealed or invisible creatures.
In combat, the Avenger hurls bolts of holy power and fights impressively in melee combat. Being entirely immune to the effects of fear, death-based magic, and possession, wtih the ability to turn the undead, he hunts and destroys anything that allies itself with evil.

The Avenger does not take a liking to my presence, but I am not something he was trained to fight, my defensive skill far in excess of his martial prowess. While keeping him at bay, I cast a spell of healing upon Resh who found himself at the receiving end of more than a few arrows.

Slowly we thin out the Human numbers until all that remains are a handful of them and their leader. He finally rallies to the fight but is sorely outnumbered. His end comes at the tip of one of the Chevalier's lances.

What was once a trap by the Humans proves to be a trap for the Humans.

The great army that had surrounded me is thrown into disarray by the death of their leader. The two dragons are nowhere to be seen, likely sustained here by his magics. With his fall the human forces start to disperse and their lands are now open for me to conquer.

An opportunity I am quick to capitalize upon.

Drill posted:

Another dwarven invention, the Drill is commonly used by many races to tunnel in the earth. Such machines may be purchased at the Builder's Guild for a reasonable price. They can be used to strike an enemy, but most troops are smart enough to avoid the slowly lumbering machine and find its use in such fashion quite comical.
At a nearby builder's guild the Humans had apparently commissioned the construction of a great drill, what purpose they had for it I can only guess at. I have plans that will require the services of the Builder's Guild, so I order the destruction of the Drill.

Apparently while this was happening Gorthak's pack was underground, seeking out what happened to my eagle in the northern reaches of the caves. They were attacked by a sizable group of undead, lead by a fallen champion. He fled when the rest of his horde was defeated.

Only to inexplicably attack again immediately afterwards. Apparently becoming an Undead destroys any tactical sense from the mind, lending me to question the utility of such a thing.

Gorthak's men then chase down another group of undead, catching them just as they reached the surface access near my initial holdings. The abominations have no chance against his seasoned pack.

Sea Serpent posted:

Sailors tell many tales, but none so numerous as those about Sea Serpents. Sea Serpents live strickly in the water and have been known to attack ships for a quick sailor meal. It is unknown whether they are intelligent, and though they resemble dragons, it is commonly held that they are not closely related.
Sea Serpents have a devastating attack, but are not so nearly well defended, and so they tend to attack ships and swimmers they know they can make into an easy meal. Sea Serpents can be coerced, via powerful water magic, to serve, but such a feat is costly and seldom worth the effort.
I crafted another Eagle and sent it to the west, desiring to learn what else lay in that direction. As it flew through the air, it brought to my attention a great sea serpent in the waters. Amazingly enough the serpent seemed to follow the bird and protect it against the numerous pirate boats on the lake.

Even now I have trouble comprehending what I saw. Somehow the captain of the Air Galley that I had commissioned followed us into a ruins, his crew skillfully navigating it through the great halls, places where I would think that such a great craft would have no chance of fitting in.

Now only one foe stands before me, the Orcs. They were a cowardly clan, no doubt led by one of the Stormlords that thought to oppose me, only to hide in a closet once a threat revealed itself to them. They've been hiding for so long they have no idea what else to do.

They attempted to shield themselves and their stronghold with a great magical shell, but their command of magic was far inferior to my own. I was able to easily remove that shell and expose them to my fury. A great Altar of Lightning was nearby and I had provided the operators of it with a significant amount of crystallized mana to power the weapon. Fierce electrical storms were called up by the weapon, blasting the cowering Orcs with tremendous bolts of lightning.

As I expected, the Orcs ran out before the crystals did, removing the last obstacle to my control of the lake.

My victory here does not come alone, but rather with news of both the wonderful and terrible. The fallen King Inoch has returned, my former king and Meandor's father, but he has not returned to life. No, he instead returns at the head of the Undead hordes, undead himself, but something more. I do not know what to think of this. Do I support him as my Liege, the Father deserves it more than his simpering son after all, or do I oppose him as I have all other undead that I have encountered before?

In the end it does not come as a surprise to me that I am faced with a binary choice between two extremes. Opposites of each other, but also so alike in some ways.

The Highmen claim to be good and noble, and one cannot question their talents at dealing with the undead, but they would see the world changed just as much as the undead would, just in a different manner. Is this what "True Good" is? Purity and obedience? Again, I do not see much of a difference.

Not much of a difference save that of life itself. I know of more than a few wizards in the past that have sacrificed their lives in the attainment of power, seeking to prolong their lives through the undeath of lichedome, but even as much as I crave and relish the power that I have attained, I do not see that cost being worth it. But perhaps I am wrong. I have seen what happens with those that fear to take action. Am I being sensible, or am I afraid of an unknown future?

This is not a decision that I can take lightly.

So we have a grand total of three decisions ahead of us, not just the usual "What do we take", but also who do we side with and what will our last two spheres be?

Decision One

Do we side with the Highmen against the Undead? So far the Undead have been treated as an abomination, an infestation to be purged from the world. But the Highmen are True Good (And the Undead are True Evil), so this is quite a choice.

Decision Two

It's time to choose our last two spheres of power. Right now we have 1 Death, 1 Water, and 3 Air. We can only have one more Air, and our options are limited to those three spheres now.

Decision Three

We have 750 points to work with and we've got quite a few ways to spend those points. First let's go over our hero choices:

Gorthak the Black is our long-time companion, but sadly his packmates didn't make the cut-off and were excluded from our options for the next mission. Do we retire him with them or keep going with him? He'll be okay if we go with the Highmen as the Goblins are an ally of ours.

Resh Redhead is a new hero for us, having picked him up this mission. He's a bit pricey himself, but not nearly as much as Gorthak. Resh is a caster, having reached Spell Casting IV over the course of the previous mission, giving him a good amount of magical Oomph. As a Lizardman, he's fine no matter which path we choose.

Finally we have Thomac Stonecrusher, a Dwarven warrior that we added near the end of the previous mission. He's got the ability to circumvent walls like Gorthak, but unlike Gorthak his Wall Crushing ability means that other units can follow him in. He hits pretty drat hard too and is the cheapest of our three heroes. If we side with the Undead we will not be able to take him, however

So what costs are we looking at here:

Heroes

Gorthak the Black: 437 points
Resh the Redhead: 337 points
Thomac Stonecrusher: 137 points

Magical Items

Sword of Light, Holy Strike, +2 Attack. 95 points
Staff of the Forest, Holy Strike, Magic Strike, +1 Attack, +1 Damage. 55(!) points
Enchanted Axe, Magic Strike, +1 Damage. 85 points

Holy Armor, Death Immunity, Holy Champion, +2 Defense. 420 points

Ring of True Sight, True Seeing, 75 points
Ring of Regeneration, What it says on the tin. 300 points
Ring of Movement, Foresty, Cave Crawling, Mountaineering. 80 points

Helm of Eyes, Night Vision, True Seeing, Vision II. 160 points
Mask of Fear, Fearless, Cause Fear, 95 points

Frost Shield, Cold Protection, +1 Defense. 75 points

Units

2x Elite Human Chevaliers: 95 points each
Regular Human Chevalier: 95 points
4x Regular Lizardman Salamander: 75 points each
Regular Hill Giant: 105 points2x Regular Human Musketeer: 45 points

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 14, 2013

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Obviously we shall side with the Highmen, and clenase the land from the undead, an abomination. The highmen are powerful and suited for the task. Inioch is an unnatural relic from the past and will try to eradicate all life, therefore it must be destroyed.

For spheres One air and one water

For units, Taerkar choose whatever you see fit.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Gorthak
Staff of the Forest
2x Human Chevaliers
1 Human Muskateer

1 Air sphere and 1 Water sphere

Go with the Highmen. Vhendor has changed quite a bit since the first mission, but the one thing that has always remained consistent is his disdain for the undead. He also seems to have formed something of a reassessment of the Humans, if only from what company he keeps in his personal squad, and going with the Highmen would further that. We've passed the point at least a few missions ago where he would still want to serve Inioch, and taken with the previous point about the undead, the Highmen are the right choice here.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
The Undead, Inioch is the rightful king, he will lead the stormlords to victory. Remember it is the stormlords we serve first. Gorthak the Black, Azktor the Unholy, Elite Wolf Rider: .

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Go with the Highmen, there's no reason to think Inioch would make Vhendor anything but a dead thrall once he lives out his usefulness.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Highmen.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Siding with the Undead means helping a devouring force of darkness to cleanse the land of all life. Last time I checked, Vhendor was quite fond of his own life. We'd also be bowing to our former liege, despite telling the Cult of Storms to go gently caress themselves. Not to mention that we'd become a tool of Death instead of the other way around.

The rather unfortunately named Highmen, on the other hand, might just be what we need. Sure, we might lie on the opposite sides of that pretentious good/evil scale, but they're the best hammer available for dealing with a skull-shaped nail. Since they refuse to deal with us in person, they can't fully control our actions, which means that we can further our own agenda as we fight on. Besides, they sound like that silly sort that actually follows up on the promises they make, so if power is a part of our deal with them, we're certainly going to get it.

Since Gorthak was with us since the beginning, he should certainly follow us 'till the end. We should also bring along that dwarf Thomac. We're going to be dealing with a lot of "good" *spits* races from now on, and having a trusted lieutenant capable of quelling their doubts in our cause should prove valuable. Also, he smashes city walls with his hammer.

We need to learn more about Death magic, our future "allies" are too afraid to use it, and too desperate to complain about us using it. The irony of having them fight alongside a necromancer would be delicious.
Wind magic... Yes, the time has finally come to master it. Just like the flow of wind is shaped by the earth, so have our actions been shaped by those we followed. But wind is not a servant. It changes the land, it shapes the deserts, it crumbles the mountains. One day, there will be nothing left but the plains and the winds. And just like the wind subverts and tricks and deceives and conquers the world, so shall we, in the end.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
All Undead all the time, because the Highmen are dicks and their ending is the shittiest in the game.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Pierzak posted:

All Undead all the time, because the Highmen are dicks and their ending is the shittiest in the game.

I like the Highmen ending :colbert:. That said, I expected everyone to vote undead rather than suddenly swinging over to good.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Highmen. Undeath is a disease, and these pious saps are the cure. Invest our remaining spheres into Death to show these fools what they're missing, bring Gorthak, the cheap weapon and anything mounted.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bremen posted:

I like the Highmen ending :colbert:. That said, I expected everyone to vote undead rather than suddenly swinging over to good.
It doesn't change the fact that the :okpos:men are assholes. See thread title :rolleyes:

Oh, and I forgot to vote for spheres. Air and Death, please.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
We've been committed to death since Day 1, when we got that Death sphere. Go with the Undead.
For spheres, Death x 2. Undead + Plague Cloud are a winning combination.

And bring Gorthak (437)
Thomac (137)
2 x Salamanders (150)
And put the rest into Mana.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 15, 2013

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Highmen.

Death and Water.

Bring Resh,
Thomac,
Staff of the Forest,
2 Elite Chevaliers

And 31 gold.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Thread title demands that we chose highmen.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
Join the Highmen; it's a bad choice either way, but we've travelled too far to see our works undone by the undead. Besides, the honourable are easier to manipulate.

It's time to retire Gorthak; he has served us well, but bereft of his pack, he deserves a comfortable retirement. Bring Resh; the Lizardmen will serve us as well as Gorthak did, and it's best to not show favouritism. And give him a Staff of the Forests. Beyond that, I'm not fussed.

And as for spheres, Air and Water. Our reign over the earth shall know no boundaries, and infrastructure is vital for that.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Let us go where no Dark Elf has gone before, and join the forces of the Highmen.

Also lets snag Air and Death.

I want us to take Thomac, the 2 Elite Chevaliers, Hill Giant, Sword of Light, Staff of the Forest, and Frost Shield.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Full update is here now.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Go Highmen, +1 Water and Air. Bring Resh Redhead. Fill out the rest as you feel is best.

Bremen posted:

I like their ending too. Will be good to see Taerkar's commentry on a certain passage in it. :3:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To be fair, the Keeper campaign especially brings up the notion that the Highmen aren't really "good" in the normal sense. They're downright alien and sinister compared to the traditional good races, and do not have anything like the good of all in mind. The Highmen have come to this world with a specific purpose, and avoid discussing that purpose with outsiders for a good reason...

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I used to play the Undead to death in the other AoWs, so I'd like to see the Highmen route. Also, I'll shoot for Gorthak and Resh Redhead, if only because the latter's name sounds goofy and we could use another spellcaster. The rest is up to you.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Digital Jello posted:

I used to play the Undead to death in the other AoWs, so I'd like to see the Highmen route. Also, I'll shoot for Gorthak and Resh Redhead, if only because the latter's name sounds goofy and we could use another spellcaster. The rest is up to you.

We can't afford them both.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Highmen. Virtual and the dwarf. Spheres other than death because highmen alliance makes the summons uncontrollable I believe.

The highmen fit the established narrative better and I like Vheandar's growth as an anti hero.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
You are sooo hosed.

Proper Job
Mar 6, 2007

Submit or die foolish human!
I don't trust these so-called 'High Men'. They have a strange smell about them, and they seem far too protective of their plantations...

I'm torn here. Both factions have a very high chance of loving us over. The Undead promise power eternal, but Inioch will most likely turn you and every other living being into an eternal servant instead. The Highmen are committed to eradicating this threat, but I can totally see them going 'Thanks for the help, but it doesn't outweigh your previous sins. There will be no peace with the likes of you, prepared to be judged.' :catholic:

Calling it now. This isn't going to turn out well.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Current voting results:

Spheres:

Air: 8
Death: 6
Water: 6
2x Death: 2

(Votes for 'Other than Death' are treated as 1x Air, 1x Water)

Next Mission:

Highmen: 12
Undead: 3

Who do we take?

Thomac Stonecrusher: 6
Staff of the Forest: 5
Gorthak: 4
Elite Human Chevalier: 4
Resh Redhead: 3
Human Musketeer: 1
Salamander: 1
Hill Giant: 1
Sword of Light: 1
Frost Shield: 1

Only one of the three voting subjects isn't a close contest. Gorthak is still holding on, but if Resh passes him in votes then Gorthak will be retired.

Donkringel posted:

Highmen. Virtual and the dwarf. Spheres other than death because highmen alliance makes the summons uncontrollable I believe.

The highmen fit the established narrative better and I like Vheandar's growth as an anti hero.
Virtual?

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 16, 2013

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Taerkar posted:

Only one of the three voting subjects isn't a close contest. Gorthak is still holding on, but if Resh passes him in votes then Gorthak will be retired.

Then I'll throw my support for Resh.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Take Gorthak.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
GORTHAK!

Sorry about the virtual comment. Apparently gorthak autocorrects to it and I didn't notice.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Voting for Gorthak.The goblin's become a downright beast since his humble beginnings on the road to the Halfling cities. And he's only going to get stronger.

Bring whatever else you see fit.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Neither choice here is particularly good. So, Inioch has been returned? His current form is an insult to his memory. The greatest of the Elf-kings, known for his wisdom and the careful method by which he maintained a delicate balance between forces - reduced to a slavering beast, wishing destruction and undeath upon all?

That is not what he was, and it must not be how he is remembered. This cannot be what the Cult of Storms was founded for. The humans should tremble in the face of our glory and might - but it should be the fear of a dog before his master or a man before his god, not that of prey before predators.

The Highmen are but mortals. Let us side with them for the nonce. We will use them to correct this mistake, and then we shall cast them aside like the tools they are when they have outlived their usefulness.

Besides - undead serving other undead? It is a desecration. Undead should serve powerful wizards, not themselves. It sets a bad precedent.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 16, 2013

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

My favorite endings were the flipped alignment ones. So Highmen.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Taerkar posted:

We can't afford them both.

I worded that wrong. I meant to say "or", not "and". But I'll shoot for Resh as a definitive choice. I think Gorthak deserves a rest, even if it means ducking out of the story.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Proper Job posted:

I don't trust these so-called 'High Men'. They have a strange smell about them, and they seem far too protective of their plantations...

I'm torn here. Both factions have a very high chance of loving us over. The Undead promise power eternal, but Inioch will most likely turn you and every other living being into an eternal servant instead. The Highmen are committed to eradicating this threat, but I can totally see them going 'Thanks for the help, but it doesn't outweigh your previous sins. There will be no peace with the likes of you, prepared to be judged.' :catholic:

Calling it now. This isn't going to turn out well.

:unsmigghh:

I think you will be pleasantly entertained. AOW did its endings well, better then most games i've played.

Elric posted:

My favorite endings were the flipped alignment ones. So Highmen.

Couldn't agree more.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
As he needs the extra support, take Gorthak.

Oldman Bosse
Oct 9, 2012
Higmen, Gorthak and Thomac

The rest of the points can go to whatever.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Even if the Highmen are frightfully naïve, at least they are alive. Gorthak has been loyal ever since the start, but is he loyal to us, or to the Stormlord cause? He has become powerful and used to command. If his loyalty should waver, he might become a thorn in Vhendor's side. Gorthak should be left behind, perhaps to be replaced by one of those Lizardmen.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
If you love Gorthak, set him free. If he comes back, it was meant to be. If he doesn't, well we can toke it up with the high men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Final Results:

Spheres:

Air: 8
Death: 6
Water: 6
2x Death: 2

(Votes for 'Other than Death' are treated as 1x Air, 1x Water)

Next Mission:

Highmen: 12
Undead: 3

Who do we take?

Gorthak: 9
Thomac Stonecrusher: 7
Resh Redhead: 6
Staff of the Forest: 5
Human Musketeer: 1
Hill Giant: 1
Sword of Light: 1
Frost Shield: 1

Gorthak edges out Resh and thus it'll be Gorthak and Thomac moving forward along with the Staff and possibly some other stuff. We'll be picking up our last air sphere as well as water, Death 2 is practically useless to us (we can't control undead spawn, our primary opponent is fearless and evil, making the other three options of a very limited use. Water II is an okay choice. Flying is better than water-walking and we already have Geyser, but the other two spells range from Meh (damage units on a water tile) to Always Useful (Combat damage, AoE I believe?)

(Also, this definitely wasn't a post that I made to push us to the next page for the update)

• Locked thread