Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cult of Storms Mission 9: Unicorn Valley

Your music sample for this mission is Heartwood Forest

It is not easy to ride on without Gorthak at my side. The fantastic Goblin has been with me for many months now and I've found him to be incredibly reliable and useful, but now I must leave him behind. Too much harm has been done to his kind in this region and it is something that he needs to address personally. Goblins are like orcs, ruled by the powerful and dangerous and there is no other orc nearly as powerful nor as dangerous at Gorthak. Though he cannot follow me, he will continue to assist me in other ways.

Instead I ride forth with Thomac and Atam, quite a sight we form no doubt. Though Atam is a new face to me, I've already noticed in him the spark of potential, something that I think will be of great assistance in the future.

Our first indicator that we're close to the valley comes from its namesake, a number of unicorns that charged out of the woods and attacked us. Why they are so hostile I do not know, but they did not survive their aggression.

I leave the highmen that accompanied us into the valley back at our basecamp, needing to keep that open before we advanced further. The entrance to the valley provided us with a good look at what lies before us, a typical Elven settlement spread out across the lands and with very little despoilment of the terrain.

The closest Elven settlement drew our attention, instead of greeting us as I would have hoped they instead tried to kill us. A rather embarrassing show of folly by my cousins, leading me to wonder just what is wrong with them.

My magical senses brought to my attention the presence of one of the Elven champions in this land, a relatively new one, but still a potential issue in the future.

Unicorn posted:

The fabled Unicorn is a secretive creature that dwells deep within the forests, far from mankind. Unicorns can be vain creatures for more than any other mythical beast they are the subject of the most legends and fanciful tales. They are sought by fair maidens before their weddings, and wise wizards seeking enlightenment. A Unicorn resembles a white mare with a large, straight horn protruding from its head. According to legend, a Unicorn's horn has magical powers. One such legend states that the horn enables it to disappear and appear elsewhere in the blink of an eye. Another legend claims the horn gives the creature the ability to heal. For this reason, unicorns are frequently hunted by Shamans of greedy races, hoping to obtain the horn for potions.
Unicorns have a naturally high resistance to magic and are able to defend themselves aptly in combat. They are also able to move quickly over long distances and through forests.
That he was traveling in the company of a unicorn did not surprise me at all. Many more of those beasts would die before I was done here, no doubt.

We traveled to the northern section of the valley, under the occasional assault of what I suspect to be a Holy Altar in the center of the valley. It was more of a nuisance than anything else, my companions and I well conditioned to shrug off its effects. The nuisance of it did make me a bit irritated, however, an irritation the elves of the next settlement were all to eager to let me work out.

As the path wound around the east we came across a surprising sight, a sizable Orc Fortress against the eastern wall. As before these Orcs seemed to be overcome with the death cult and found their eager ends at the tips of our blades.

Not liking the portent of this news I send a messenger back to the basecamp, instructing them to send some Highmen in to take over the city and purge it of the cult.

While Atam and I await the arrival of the Highmen inquisitors I dispatch Thomac back to the west. Apparently the elves had scraped together a few siege weapons and were trying to reclaim the settlements I took from them.

His task took him well into the south, revealing to us the presence of more of those powerful altar weapons as well as the heartland of the Elves in this region.

Meanwhile Atam and I headed down to the south where we found a Goblin settlement hidden among the minor valleys. They had been sent here by Gorthak to assist us in our task. After making contact with us they laid a trap for the elves. The majority of the Elves avoided it, but the goblins were able to slay the champion.

We then portaled back to the western side of the valley, retaking another settlement from the Elves before we joined back up with Thomac. Desiring a stop to these annoying raiding parties I ordered the construction of fortifications along the two major bridges, creating checkpoints to stop further raids.

During this construction I learned of the remaining Elven champions and their leader, all individuals of significant potence, but overall no true threats to my overall plans.

More of those annoying unicorns died today. Today was a very good day.

We also found the home of a Satyr, not a surprising thing in these lands. It met its end today as well and we laid claim to the trinkets it had hoarded.

I had dispatched an eagle to explore the great caverns underneath the valley. It revealed to me the presence of a significant amount of lava and a dwarven settlement, but most surprising was that it was fired upon by one of their cannons and not only survived the experience but also destroyed the cannon in the process.

That settlement was taken by us a few days later, further securing our lines against Elven raids.

Meanwhile the Eagle had returned to the surface, where it brought to my attention some rather unpleasant news, albeit not too surprising. A settlement near the end of the valley was infested by the undead, its continued existence speaking ill of my cousins. Why had they tolerated its presence for so long?

Further adding to this was the presence of a necromancer underground. He had found an old catacombs in the tunnels and was raising a great host of undead in it. Why again had this been allowed to go on by the 'light' elves? I do not like this portent.

Highmen Paladin posted:

The Paladin is famed in stories as a fighter possessing the utmost virtue and purity. The Highmen train Paladins from their youth to follow the strict path of obedience. Along that path, they are given a steed which represents the animal inside of every mortal which must be tamed. At first, the animal is wild and unbridled, impossible to control and hardly a thing of use. But the Paladin learns not to destroy the animal, but teaches it to obey and serve him as a trusted Master. Properly bridled, the animal within, just as the warrior's steed, is a thing of great power.
Paladins learn the fine skill of healing. They can also Turn Undead, which they tend to use when the undead cannot be struck by their long swords.
Atam shares my concerns regarding this development and requested a number of Paladin to be dispatched to bolster our ranks. If we do encounter more undead then their ability will be most useful.

A couple of the elven raiders were trapped behind my lines when the fortifications were completed. Unable to return to their lines they started to destroy some of my facilities, a rather disturbing action by the elves and further hinting at their possible corruption. The raiders were quickly destroyed afterwards and I ordered the ransacked facilities to be rebuilt.

This madness needed to end, but there was still a rather significant number of elves to deal with. Through clever tricks and maneuvering I was able to separate almost half of them from the rest of the host. Being exposed like that allowed us to attack them without fighting the whole force, resulting in their destruction with minimal losses.

The final bit would require a bit more work as their leader was hiding behind another magical shield. For a day I meditated, preparing myself for the task ahead of me. The first step of my plan was the removal of that shield, requiring me to overwhelm it with disruptive energies and hopefully shatter it before they could purge them.

As soon as the shield collapsed the second phase of the plan was put into place. The great altar weapons were turned upon their former owner, blasting city and elf with powerful energies.

And once the opening barrage was completed we rode in, taking advantage of the chaos caused by the prior assault to move in close before they could respond.

What few defenders remained were in poor shape, most of the regular foot soldiers were incapacitated or worse, leaving only their leader and a handful of Unicorns still able to fight.

Not that we minded the opportunity to kill more of the Unicorns, the creatures were quite cooperative with us, rushing forth to die without any real risk to us.

The Highmen inquisitors were quick to take the Elven leader after the battle ended, no doubt seeking to find the cause for their... strangeness here. I doubt I'll hear much about their findings.

I must admit, though, I wonder if I'm the one being interrogated with all of this drat singing. Or at least what they call singing because that's certainly not any ballad I've heard before.

Fortunately I do have a reason to remove myself from their 'Celebrations' as a new obstacle lies before me. My former peers have finally taken direct action, but it's another case of too little, too late. They could have been useful pawns in the past, but now they are just an obstacle.

A rather short mission, but also one that was fairly limited in resources until the end. I don't really like the doomstack missions too much, but when I'm scraping by with coinage for a good part of the mission I can't be too choosey. But at least I got to murder a bunch of Unicorns.

I tried to keep Atam down enough in levels that we could still afford to take both of them, but the AI just really wanted to give him more XP, so we've got that choice before us. So here's our heroes:

Thomac is still Thomac, meaning he's still a great beast of a dwarf on the back of a boar. Only real change between last mission and this one is that I picked up archery on him along with two ranks of Marksmanship. This is more of a case of running out of other options than anything else, but at least it means that he's able to deal with flying units a bit better.

Atam's levels have gone entirely into spellcasting, turning him into a rather potent mage with 30 points of casting power each turn. Otherwise he's pretty much unchanged.

So that's our deal, 900 points to spend and the following ways to spend it:

Heroes:

Thomac Stonecrusher: 537 points
Atam the Righteous: 437 points

Items:

Frost Armor: +2 Defense, Cold Immunity: 300 points
Cloak of the Tundra: +1 Resistance, Snow Concealment: 120 points

Ring of Invisibility: Invisibility: 350 points

Lightning Shield: +1 Defense, Lightning Protection: 75 points

Units:

Elite Elven Ranger (Killed the Elven Leader): 95 points
3x Regular Elven Rangers: 95 points each
Regular Highman Paladin: 50 points
Regular Highman Saint: 40 points
2x Regular Elven Archers: 17 points each
Regular Highman Archer: 18 points
Regular Highman Swordsman: 18 points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Atam
Elite Elf Ranger
Paladin
Frost Armor

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Up and Atam, Atam. :downs:
Bring the elite Ranger and the lightning shield too.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

my dad posted:

Up and Atam, Atam. :downs:
Bring the elite Ranger and the lightning shield too.

I support this post.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Thomac, the Elite Elven Ranger, and the Lightning Shield, any remaining points I leave up to you.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Thomac. Dwarven killing machines are needed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Elric posted:

Thomac. Dwarven killing machines are needed.

Agreed.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Thomac, the Elite Ranger, and Highman Paladin...and the rest is all yours.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Digital Jello posted:

This goon speaks wisely, and I concur.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Digital Jello posted:

Third'd.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Digital Jello posted:

This also gets my vote, I want to see Thomac bust down every wall between him and his enemies.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I shall agree with the majority here.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Atam had a quick early surge, but right now Thomac leads 8 to 3.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cult of Storms Mission 10: Garrison Supply

Your music choice for this mission is Snowscapes

Atam remains behind in the Elven lands as we continue on, his task being one of pacifying and securing the Valley and making sure the undead do not regain any foothold there. I'm sure he's got quite a few lectures for the Elves as well regarding their complacency. Thomac and I continue on, accompanied by a pair of rangers and a paladin.

Our first welcome in the land comes in the form of a Frostling insult, a rather macabre display just north of the contested area that declares that they will send us to our icy graves.

We link up with a small Highman outpost at the end of the valley we were traveling through and they provide us with some basic information of what lies before. There are three forces vying for control of this land, the Frostlings, the Undead, and the Dark Elves associated with the Stormlords. The Frostling Fortress is just to the east of us, poorly defended as the Highmen that were already here did not possess any siege equipment.

As we arrived only their leader was in the Fortress, the rest of his men had headed south, seeking new conquests no doubt. The fortifications were impressive, but in the end they were just another thing to fall before Thomac's demolition skills.

With the outer defenses down we advanced on the fortress, their leader was only accompanied by a fresh new recruit, far too little to help keep him alive.

Titan posted:

Titans are thought to have walked upon the earth before any of the other ancient races. Some human myths suggest Titans created humanity and then were punished for doing so. Unlike in mythos, Titans do not war among themselves and are of pure good alignment. These beings stand several times taller than the average human and even tower over giants. Titans are adept at fighting able to strike multiple opponents in a single attack with metal weaponry and armor. By their size alone they make formidable opponents.
Titans avoid contact with other races, having spent aeons alone, they don’t mind the solitude. They fight for just causes and known the Highmen to be trustworthy of such.
A great Titan was among our number, his long strides quickly eating up the distance between the outer walls and the inner fortifications. The lone Frostling guardian was brave enough to stand before the Titan, but foolishness is often in company of bravery.

The Frostling Leader lived only a few short moments longer than his guardian, meeting his end at Thomac's hand. One of the threats before me is now gone.

Any hope I had of turning the Frostlings to my side is futile. Before I could show them the error of their ways, but the Highmen presence by my side and at my backs had made such a thing impossible. Instead they are sent to what Gabriel calls "Atonement Camps".

With that immediate threat taken care of, we are able to turn our attention back to the ruins we passed on the way to the Frostling citadel. The inhabitants of it are quickly dispatched, yielding two items. One of them, a basic mace, is functional, if nothing special. The other, a cursed ring, was handed over to the Highmen for careful disposal.

Thomac and I return to the main road and continue to the south, leaving the rest of my force in the mountains to the east, dealing with the Frostling refugees. Most of them give themselves up but a few continue to resist. Such foolishness.

Soon we find what I was looking for, the first hint of the Undead in this area. Already one town here has fallen to their hordes and a significant group was on the move, threatening a large Human city.

In that group was the presence of a rather powerful Undead Champion in the form of a vampiress. I suspected that she was a rather new one though, a neonate.

Desiring to know more of what lay before us I crafted another magical eagle and sent it up into the skies. Through its eyes I learned that a rather large Dark Elf force was in the area as well. I kept it outside of the reach of their arrows and through it I was able to discern what we were facing.

I recognized Tanaris, an adept of some skill but in no way approaching my own talents. He would not be an obstacle.

Dark Elf Rider posted:

Mounted Dark Elf forces consist primarily of light cavalry. These quick moving units are often used as scouts and messengers or for intimidation. The light cavalry, armed with long swords, are not particularly strong unless in large numbers. Like all of their race, Dark Elf cavalry possess an unnaturally strong resistance to magic.
Dark Elf horses are trained to obey their master’s strict commands, and trust the Dark Elf’s night-vision implicitly, though they possess no such talent of their own. It is said that a Dark Elf steed could have its eyes burned from it, and it would still be as sure-footed and nimble with it’s Master giving direction.

Dark Elf Executioner posted:

Executioners are the elite forces of the Dark Elves, raised by the Storm Priests and disciples of darkest pit. Trained as skilled assassins and warriors, they carry out the will of their Dark Elven Lords with unquestioning obedience, unencumbered by emotion. It is said by some, that the trail of darkness left in an Executioner’s wake flows from the dark void where his heart should be.
Powerful enough in their own right, each Executioner wields a Sword of Life Stealing, which is bound to them by the blackest sorcery. Each strike from this blade drains the life energy from its hapless target and adds vitality to the wielder.

(Also Wall Climbing, Web)

Spider Queen posted:

“She wove a web of sticky steel, in shadow did she lurk.
And when my heart beheld her I gave my life to her.”
The alluring Spider Queen lives as the goddess of the underworld. A seductive and comely creature from the waist up, she bulges below the torso with the hideous form of a giant spider. Among Dark Elves, it is considered an honor to die by her poisonous bite. They are exclusively female and all possess the ability to wield magical powers, which leads some Dark Elves to speculate that they serve a common dark goddess, unknown to the waking world.
Spider Queens also retain many of the abilities of their spider half. In addition to their poisonos bite, they are able to naturally scale walls, spin webs, and move through rough underground caverns.

The large force he had with him was more of a problem. Mostly consisting of infantry fodder and capable archers there was still the presence of a fairly decent cavalry force, including a dangerous Executioner. A Spider Queen was with the force as well as a handful of siege weapons.

A plan was formed in my mind and immediately acted upon. First Thomac and I attacked the Undead-infested town before us, easily overwhelming what resistance it offered.

This caused an even greater reaction than I had anticipated, the undead in the area scattered about, breaking into small packs, mainly to the south and east. The Dark Elf force inexplicably split as well, half of it staying where they were and the rest of it, including Tanaris, withdrew towards a nearby town. As they were doing this I took advantage of the confusion and chaos to claim a powerful Altar of Lightning.

To the north my forces had dealt with the last of the Frostling stragglers and descended underground. Their progress was thwarted by the state of the bridge there. Through means unknown to us, the bridge was encased in a solid block of ice that showed no signs of going away, preventing its use. The waters around it were far too dangerous to ford as well, resulting in a rather effective barrier to expansion in that direction.

Me posted:

This is known as the Slippery Bridge effect. A Frost Queen's path of frost went through this area, turning the water under the bridge to ice. This doesn't clear properly, resulting in the bridge being impassible. This only happens underground

Unable to progress further underground my men returned to the surface and continued south through the hills. The Valkyrie at their vanguard came across a sizable number of Dark Elves in the area, but all in manageable lots to that force.

One Dark Elf force was caught in the woods and eliminated by them, the small group proved to be no trouble for my experienced troops.

A nearby scrying pond was captured as well, providing a view of lands far away.

The view provided was of unfortunately limited use, hinting only at the presence of a pair of towns, one of which already showed signs of being overcome by the undead.

I did pry out some useful information, however. The Undead and the Dark Elves were not working together. In fact they were at each other's throats. This meant that while I would still have to deal with them both, there was not much of a chance of them working together against me.

The large Dark Elf force near me remained where it was, no doubt awaiting some reinforcements before they moved on me. I was not going to let them remain there unopposed however, so I began the ritual to cast a spell, one that would call down lightning upon their encampment.

As I kept up the preparations Thomac and I rode to the east and drove the Undead away from the Human city, securing it before they could overrun it. The remainder of the undead fled north, accompanied by the no-doubt panicked Vampiress.

Soon she found the proper release from her unnatural state, disintegrating to ash when she was struck down. With her dealt with, that allowed for me to turn my full attention to the south.

I unleashed my spell first, blasting their encampment with a powerful electrical storm. Moments after that assault ended I had the Altar discharge, bringing with it a second barrage of lightning upon their forces, doing even more damage.

At the same time the Undead unleashed a great poisonous cloud upon the area, adding more chaos and confusion to the force. By the time my assault was over, only a scant few remained behind of that once-sizable force.

A great number of the Dark Elves to the east fled after that display, disappearing into the nearby caves. The Executioner tried to hold them to order, but he soon found himself faced off against an angry Dwarf. His finesse and grace was no match for the experience and power of Thomac, the Executioner almost cut in two by Thomac's axe.

We also eliminated a second pocket of troops before heading to deal with the Tanaris, that group included an Orc Warlord among their number, but he proved to be no challenge to Thomac either.

Further to my north my troops were still active. They found and quickly overcame a Dark Elf force that was bullying the farmers in that region. With that group taken care of, the farmers were quick to start supporting my men, providing them with fresh rations.

Finally it came time to end Tanaris. We trapped him on a bridge and rode him and his men down. He didn't go down without a fight, his magic proving potent enough to give Thomac a few wounds, but nothing serious for the tough dwarf. Thomac laughed at the offer of treatment and said he would use a Dwarven Healing Potion, by which he meant incredibly high-proof alcohol.

After dealing with the threat here Thomac and I rode north to help finish capturing the Dark Elf cities there. I took the time to summon up an Air Elemental, but found the summon to be very unsteady for some reason. I was just able to keep it around for a day before it dissipated.

Me posted:

Since Highmen are True Good, it causes a morale hit with not just any Evil/True Evil force but also with most neutrals as well. The exception are Humans, which get the same standing with the Highmen as the Good Races. The Air Elemental is a non-typed Neutral Creature so it starts with poor morale. Since we started as the Cult and we took the Lizardmen story branch we also have 'Polite' standings with them so they're okay with us (usually).

A small group of Undead emerged from the caves and threatened the town just cleansed out by the Highmen. As they did not have the time to build fortifications, they were very exposed to this force. I have the eagle that was watching over the Dark Elves move out and harass the force. Amazingly it's able to destroy most of the undead before retreating, reducing that force to a singular member. Another Undead troop was in the area in the form of one of their knights, but by relocating the garrison from the neighboring Human city I was able to keep the Highmen safe while they constructed the wall.

Shortly afterwards the Dark Elves emerged from another cave, likely the regrouped survivors from the earlier assault group. I did not yet know what their intentions were, but they were something that would have to be dealt with.

Worried about the emergence of more forces behind me I sent the Highmen force to investigate a nearby cave entrance. To my surprise they reported that the caves there had completely collapsed, sealing off that approach.

(Also Life Stealing, Lightning Immunity, Lightning Protection, Parry, Poison Immunity, Strike, Unholy Champion, Walking)
I ordered for numerous siege weapons be built to both protect the Dark Elf cities that I captured and to keep the citizens of those cities from causing trouble. Misguided as they were, they were still my people so I would not leave them to the same fate as the Frostlings. Once the southern city was secure I sent the Eagle to the west, seeking out the source of the Undead threat in this area. Before long it was able to locate their main hive as well as their 'leader', the reanimated form of the great ancient general Xuerxus.

The Eagle then turned to the south, flying over the area revealed to me before by the scrying pool. A goblin town was present in that area, along with a larger town that had been overrun by the undead. The Goblins were apparently being controlled by the Death Cult.

My second Eagle had also managed to locate the Dark Elven Fortress in the region, passing by a number of their forces in the field, including a great black dragon.

Me posted:

I somehow forgot to get a screenshot of the leader. Whoops

Word also reached me that a new Champion had joined my cause, a Highman by the name of Namru. A strange individual, he was a hermit with some magical talent. Apparently he had committed some great misdeed in the past and disappeared into the wilds for years seeking atonement. Now he has returned to finish his redemption, serving as a weapon against the Undead.

I send word back to him, instructing him to join up with Thomac and I as we head down into the caves, seeking to find the source of the Dark Elven forces, or at the very least eliminate what stragglers remain. We do find a few small underground settlements, but no great stronghold.

When Namru joined us we made a slight detour, investigating reports of a nearby ruins that a few undead were present in. They were old and decrepit, even by undead standards, and were dressed in the rags of some lost order. Based upon what we found within, I suspect that this was yet another outpost of that ancient order against the undead, their own bodies turned into that which they once opposed. The curse upon their forms was ended and their weapons were put to use once more.

Our attention then turned to the Undead to the west. Clearly Xuerxus' brilliant mind was not raised with his body as we were able to draw him away from his fortifications. He tried to shatter our nerve with visions of past battles and torment, but only Namru showed any sign of being unnerved, no doubt due to his inexperience. I cared not for what he showed and Thomac even laughed, calling out to Xuerxus and telling him that such things could not match to a good Dwarven Meadhall Brawl. To show his further disdain Thomac rode force, cleaving through the Undead Knights with barely a pause.

Xuerxus himself found his end thanks to the mace that I carried, his bones shattering under its magical might and turning to dust as the dark magic fled him.

And with that the undead threat in this area was mostly ended, what little remained were without guidance and simply wandered about until they were dealt with.

Not long after we defeated Xuerxus I received word that the Dark Elves had attacked their former town to the east. They brought a number of siege engines and the black dragon I spotted earlier. To my surprise the siege engines that I had ordered built were able to hold off this assault, but only just.

I set off back to the east to address this concern while my eagles went back underground, investigating reports of another Dark Elf force using those caves to try and circumvent my forces. One of them happened upon a strange sight, a single Kobold in the depths, sheltering on a small island with what seemed to be a fairly powerful magical item.

An item that I quickly took for my own use.

As we emerged from the caves I found that one of my previous orders had been carried out. A pair of powerful galleys were just outside the Dark Elf fortress, blockading the waterways north of them and keeping them from moving any forces along it. This limited their ability to threaten my lands, allowing for me to take my time in picking apart their defenses.

Me posted:

The AI continued to build Dragon Ships at that shipyard once it reclaimed it. They did little other than funnel XP into both Galleys.

Along the way to the Dark Elf fortress we found a small lair and investigated it. A troll and a pair of necromancers were present in it, but proved to be no challenge to us. From their supplies we found a few items of note and took them as we left to resume our journey.

News reached me shortly afterwards that a Dark Elf force, along with some Undead and Goblins, had attacked one of my cities to the west. I recognized this as a distraction, an attempt to remove me from their capital. I did not leave, but instead sent orders to one of the Avenger groups I had left behind me to deal with this problem.

Me posted:

By this point I had a couple of Avenger siege groups wandering around. Consisting of 6 Highmen Avengers and 2 Catapults, they were able to (slowly) deal with most any problem that occurred, save for the Slippery Bridge

Numerous groups of my men were active behind me, dealing with stragglers and small enclaves of the Dark Elves, reducing the threat of another such loss being inflicted upon my conquests. Satisfied that my land was safe I was able to fully focus on the task before me.

As before I started off with the removal of the shield from over the Dark Elf fortress, shattering the magical dome with an expertly crafted spell of disruption. With that gone both Namru and I were able to start calling down lightning upon them.

For three days straight lightning blasted the fortifications, the assault powerful enough to start numerous fires and shatter a couple of the weaker structures in the region. Finally one of the survivors was able to signal their surrender, their leader having died the night before after being struck directly by one of the bolts.

My victory felt somewhat hollow though. That which I had planned to claim for myself was taken by the Highmen. How can they be both so useful and infuriatingly annoying at the same times. I find my thoughts turning now to my own personal survival before I find myself in one of their "Atonement Camps"

The final goal lies before us, the Valley of Wonders, but there still remains one obstacle, that which is now known as the Pass of Grief. Through here the Humans laid waste to the decadent Elves from before, and through here the Undead, led by the mockery of life that is the new Inioch, the fallen King. What lies before me is ruin, scattered bands of humans left behind after the horde passed through, but I am not foolish enough to think that the horde is fully gone.

Perhaps now the future is in the Humans. They were stronger than the elves, were they not? Their conquests would definitely speak of such. True they fell to the undead, but such an unnatural abomination should not be allowed to continue.

Just one more mission remains after this, so it's time for the penultimate game of "What Will We Bring"

1,000 points to play with this time so we've got some flexibility (Sorta).

Heroes

(Also Poison Protection, Round Attack, Strike, Walking, Wall Crushing)
Thomac remains Thomac, the crusher of all that oppose him. His massive 49 gold-per-turn cost caused a bit of a headache at the beginning of the mission (Watch our Gold count go down), but he's capable of murdering approximately everything that he goes against. Just like his upkeep cost, the 587 points it costs to take him is tremendous, but he's worth it.

Namru is our new hero, a fairly low level guy who started out with some spellcasting. Right now he exists more as an extra source of mana per turn (Never a bad thing), but with a few levels he'll become a rather potent magical force. At 212 points he's a definite investment for the future.

Items

Enchanted Mace, +1 Attack, Magic Strike: 90 points
Venomous Dagger, +1 Attack, +2 Damage, Poison Strike: 125 points
Silver Sickle, +1 Attack, Magic Strike: 85 points
Holy Mace, +1 Attack, +1 Damage, +1 Resistance, Holy Strike: 115 points

Fire Armor, +2 Defense, Fire Immunity, Ignition: 330 points

Lightning Shield, +1 Defense, Lightning Protection: 75 points

Ring of Decay, Holy Immunity, Path of Decay: 225 points
Ring of Invisibility, Invisibility: 350 points

Units
Veteran Titan: 105 points
Elite Elven Ranger: 95 points
Regular Elven Ranger: 95 points
7 Regular Highmen Avengers: 65 points each

(I had two full stacks of Avengers + Siege Support running around at the end)

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 23, 2013

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Take both Heroes
201 Gold to pay them.
That's 3 turns of getting things going before money is a problem.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I hope you put the actual update properly into a new post this time :colbert:

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Pierzak posted:

I hope you put the actual update properly into a new post this time :colbert:

I mean, this is pretty much what he's been doing the entire time. So I wouldn't count on it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Both heroes
200 gold
1 mana crystal

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lynneth posted:

Take both Heroes
201 Gold to pay them.

Voting for this

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lynneth posted:

Take both Heroes
201 Gold to pay them.

Seriously this, you'll be able to show the Cult what it was missing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The full update is now posted

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Thanks, having to scroll long-rear end updates to find the start of a new one that's not marked as a new post was annoying.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The length is generally why I try to limit it to one update a page, but the previous mission was a rather quick one. The OP will have a link to the update post, but there's still the problem with the page scrolling as pictures load.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Speaking of which...

Remember guys, I only take gold (and mana, we have a maximum of 200 gold this time) if there's nothing else voted. The only way we'll see me taking 200 gold is if nothing else is selected.

Besides, it's not like I can't take over a place or three quickly with Thomac.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Thanks for doing this LP, Taerkar. It's a very entertaining read.

1000 Points

Dwarfbro Hero 587
Mopey Highman Hero 212
Veteran Titan: 105
Elite Elven Ranger: 95
1 Gold Piece :v:

Snugglecakes fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 23, 2013

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Lynneth posted:

Take both Heroes
201 Gold to pay them.

This sounds like a good idea, if voting's still open.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

my dad posted:

Both heroes
200 gold
1 mana crystal

This

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Both heroes and the Venomous Dagger.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hmm... Time for a blatant ploy to move this thread to the next page.

BONUS TIME VOTING!

After completing this branch should I...

A) Go back to the first storyline branch and go play through the Orc storyline.

-or-

B) Start a Keeper Campaign?

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

ORCS! :orks:

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Orcs

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Play the Orc story and finish what you started while we still remember who's who.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Might as well do the Orcs. I don't think I have ever have finished the branch that comes after it.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Keeper let's play with Frodo and his friends.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Orcs, we get another chance to take Gorthak to the endgame.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Orcs are a wonderful thing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Oh, and while we're at it:

Current Voting Results

The Pass of Grief

Thomac and Namru: Given
Elite Elven Ranger: 1
Veteran Titan: 1
Venomous Dagger: 1

What to do next

Orcs: 6
Keepers: 1

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
OK, I'll change my vote.

:orks101:

And the Titan

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Change the money part of my previous vote to Elite Elven Ranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Orcs. Time to high five it up with the best goblin hero.

Hes going to fuckin' die on the first orc mission to something harmless just to spite the hell out of everyone. :smith:

• Locked thread