Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Orc Wizard with two Death, one Water.

Taking the Pure Evil route in the Cult campaign is fun, and I seriously don't understand how some people can play without Water. It's terrific for conserving your troops, and personally I just like the idea of an orc wizard.

Pity we're not playing the Keepers, though. The dwarves in this game are :black101: as expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pierzak posted:

And in case the voting is still going on, anything that does NOT have Life Stealing or any kind of Strike skill. Seriously, those trivialize the game and eventually you have a hero capable of killing 20+ ultimate units single-handed. (not that this doesn't have to be shown but let's not break the campaign)

I once beat the Keeper campaign with a halfling doing precisely that. :colbert: Helps that there are maybe half a dozen units in the entire game with lightning resistance/immunity. Also made Hall of Heroes somewhat tolerable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pierzak posted:

Insulting halflings' food is pretty much the only way to draw them into a bloody vendetta. Or a cookoff.

Or, in this game, they might just drown you in pony cavalry that they can produce from every village they own.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Orcs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Taerkar posted:

Quite a few of the high tier stuff causes fear, which can be a very nasty debuff. But that helmet also has Unholy Champion on it, which is a fairly decent enchantment, IF you're fighting good-aligned units.

Which, to be fair, is most of the time in the Cult campaign outside this campaign arc and one other.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bremen posted:

Path of Life turns the ground the unit walks on to "good" terrain (IE forest, grassland, etc). The main effect of this is that, IIRC, certain races can only grow farmland on certain types of terrain. There are also some units that are invisible on certain terrains, so say having this ring while going after the Frostlings could leave a string of non-snow terrain where their sneaky units would be visible instead of hidden. It's really more of an ability for good guy keeper units, but I don't think it would be actively harmful at this point.

Death Immunity makes the unit immune to death status effects (Curse, I think?) and immune to damage that is only death based (so getting hit with one of those Orc death ballista would still hurt, since it's death/physical, but the unit would take no damage from certain death spells or units). Again, probably more useful on a Keeper campaign where you'll be fighting evil units a lot, but immunities are never bad to have.

Path of Life is also really handy later in the campaign against a certain race that gets farms on a terrain no one else does, and has the ability to spread that terrain.

Frostling Frost Queens have a similar power, Path of Frost. Frostlings get extra money from snow farms, and everyone else gets less. Theoretically it's also useful for stealth, as Frost Queens are invisible on snow and bring it with them wherever they go. Of course, the Path of Frost itself is a dead giveaway. Its real boon, though, is temporarily freezing over water, allowing Frostlings to cross water with ease, in addition to their completely awesome swimmer unit and less awesome but more powerful fliers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Digital Jello posted:

I can't really say I understand how AoW1 here works because I played AoW2 and Shadow Magic, but isn't it possible to recruit fallen lords' champion units through a small sum of gold?

Nope. You can usually recruit units not already a part of someone's army if their alignment happens to match yours, but it's not a sure thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

thetruegentleman posted:

I'm a little bit lost on why the dwarves are attacking the humans...is there any explanation for that?

Humans in Age of Wonders are an invading, expansionist race with a strong tendency to conquer anyone and everyone they can see. They're more or less at war with everyone in the campaign, with one exception we'll be seeing before long.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ulmont posted:

10 different endings for this game, IIRC.

Of course, they all come down to the same final map.

6. Three each for the Cult and Keepers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ulmont posted:

Ahh, was imagining a couple more twists, I guess.

There are different routes you can play through the game, but it all ultimately comes down to who you enter the final stretch of the game with, and there are three options per side. Which options are available depend on an earlier decision.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Highmen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To be fair, the Keeper campaign especially brings up the notion that the Highmen aren't really "good" in the normal sense. They're downright alien and sinister compared to the traditional good races, and do not have anything like the good of all in mind. The Highmen have come to this world with a specific purpose, and avoid discussing that purpose with outsiders for a good reason...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Digital Jello posted:

Do we ever get to see Gabriel, or is he just there in the storybook?

Oh, we will see Gabriel on the battlefield. In the final map, along with Julia, Meandor, and Inioch.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For anyone interested in playing for themselves, here are the ways you can change terrain types:

Path of Frost: Turns terrain to snow around the unit. Available on the Frost Queen, a Frostling tier 3 unit.

Path of Life: Turns terrain to grassland around the unit. Available on the Nature Elemental, the Elf tier 4 unit.

Path of Decay: Turns terrain to wasteland around the unit. Available on the Reaper, the Undead tier 4 unit.

Rejuvenation: Turns terrain to grassland in an area. Level 1 Life spell.

Healing Showers: Turns terrain to grassland (among other effects) in an area. Level 3 Water spell.

Divine Storm: Turns terrain to grassland (among other effects) in an area. Level 4 Life spell.

Ice Storm: Turns terrain to snow (among other effects) in an area. Level 4 Water spell.

Death Storm: Turns terrain to wasteland (among other effects) in an area. Level 4 Death spell.

Altar of Life: Structure. Casts Divine Storm.

Altar of Ice: Structure. Casts Ice Storm.

Altar of Death: Structure. Casts Death Storm.

And various items that grant the Path effects.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Elric posted:

Thomac. Dwarven killing machines are needed.

Agreed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm surprised. Found my disc for this game, and it still works perfectly fine on a modern OS.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shadowmorn posted:

I get frequent crashes but the autosave is good for it.

I've been playing it for the last four hours or so, playing the rather fun Oracle's Eye scenario. It's been completely stable for me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shadowmorn posted:

Running it on Win7? Using any compatibility modes? (In my case, Yes, No.)

Vista 64 bit and no.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Whew. Beat the Oracle's Eye scenario. Most of the pregenerated scenarios aren't particularly interesting, so I don't think they're particularly good candidates for the LP unless maybe Taerkar wants to show a human, frostling, or azrac game, but I'm finding the azracs surprisingly fun to play. They're fairly generic we-swear-they're-not-Muslim desert people and show up maybe twice during the campaigns, so I understand why they didn't return for the sequels, but it's entertaining to roll with hordes of elephants and giant scorpions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Taerkar posted:

Technically they do return in the next two games.

The azracs? I'm pretty sure they don't - got replaced by the Tigrans and we-swear-it's-not-Allah is revealed to actually just be a wizard.

I don't like the sequels, incidentally.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Taerkar posted:

The Tigrans are transformed Azracs. The Nomads are basically Azracs that avoided the transformation.

What the gently caress? AoW2's plot and atmosphere were poo poo from the beginning, but that's downright Blizzard-level writing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally, I try not to think about Age of Wonders 2. I have my big paper manual for AoW1, and really love the atmosphere and story presentation of the game. It's a dark, grim fantasy war saga where the beings of absolute good are more alien than righteous, and every race has its place in the ongoing story. Just reading the history of this setting in the manual explores lots of interesting ideas that could have been explored.

Then AoW2 came along and shat all over it, and that was where I stopped paying attention to the series.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There are a couple other unique heroes on the final map, too. If you haven't sided with the undead, Inioch also gets an undead version of Queen Elwyn (from the first Cult mission) as an extra hero. The humans get Sirdanc the Changed. Don't remember what's special about him/her beyond a unique and very androgynous portrait.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

my dad posted:

Mobility combined with some sort of ability that helps avoid combat is incredibly powerful in this game. Just for fun, I played a campaign with my secondary hero built in such a way that she had 45-ish movement, swimming, wall-climbing, concealment, and could cast the movement buff from the earth magic school. So many maps are over within 10 turns simply because I can decapitate the enemy before the conflict escalates. Essentially, what this air-barge did, but better.

Personally, I prefer turning my heroes into juggernauts. I've started playing the Keeper campaign myself, with my leader starting with lightning strike and life stealing. Those can only be built onto a hero at creation, but they're very strong abilities. My leader already treats anything less than tier 4 units and high-level heroes as walking HP batteries.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I usually pick up advanced spellcasting after my leader can stomp most armies into the dirt. Great hail is a huge amount of damage in a decent area, and also smashes walls and structures when assaulting towns.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Taerkar posted:

(Also Poison Protection, Regeneration, Strike, and Walking)

The Astra that traveled to Meandor's former lands continued to the east, where she made contact with a Leprechaun. He apparently said that joining me would be 'Quite a Laugh'.

gently caress these things. Leprechauns are quite possibly the most goddamn annoying units in the entire game. They don't do much damage, but they're a bitch and a half to take out, especially in numbers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Torrannor posted:

I love them in the later games. My whole strategy in the water campaign is basically "turtle with Leprechauns". In this game they at least don't have a "restist or death" gimmick like the undead T4 unit. This can kill even your most badass heroes with an unlucky dice roll.

On the other hand, you need a lucky dice roll to hurt a Leprechaun at all. Most of the T4 units have something that makes them infuriating to deal with. The goblin T4 is notable for not having any gimmicks beyond being a charging freight train.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If anyone's interested, I dug up my big paper manual for this game and can transcribe parts of it. It includes some info on the life and societies of the various races in the game, and a big timeline showing the backstory to the game, including how the humans and undead arrived on the scene and what the deal with Julia, Meandor, and their factions is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Assuming Taerkar doesn't mind...

The Good Races

The High Men

General: High Men are tall, pale-skinned beings believed to have descended from the heavens. Most are taller than the average Human, but with less individual variations in appearance. High Men project a serious demeanor and seem to have a very limited sense of humor. They are highly respected by the good beings, while many of the neutral and evil beings view them with distrust and suspicion.

Society: High Men society is built upon a foundation of strict order and purity. High Men participate in few forms of entertainment and relish tranquil relaxation above more earthly pleasures. It is thought that the High Men spend most of their time protecting the world from evil, especially the Undead, but they are rarely seen away from the battlefield and the other races know little about them.

Combat: The High Men are a magical race by nature and rely heavily on their supernatural abilities in combat. They fight most effectively against their archenemies, the Undead, but fare well against most other races also. With the aid of the Valkyries, Holy Avengers, Titans and Astra, the High Men are able to hold their ground and continue fighting against the powerful forces of evil.

The Elves

General: Elves are a thin, fragile-looking folk who typically dwell deep within the forest. Aside from their pointed ears and thin facial features, Elves look very similar to Humans. Although somewhat slimmer than Humans, their lean, muscular limbs give them great agility and speed. Elves can live forever and can only die by violence, but most choose at a very old age to set sail for The Isle of Last Goodbyes in search of the mystical Isle of Evermor.

Society: Elves make their homes in forests where they feel at one with the natural beauty of their surroundings. Due to their immortality, unlike Dwarves and Humans, Elves are never in a rush and have little interest in short-term gains. Elves take pleasure in the finer points of life, including the arts and music, and most practice other skills unrelated to their chosen career paths. Elves value freedom and love above all. They recognize only a few lords, leaders who have proven themselves worthy of this title.

Combat: Elves are able to excel in many areas - hand-to-hand combat, archery, magic, and stealth - making them a tough race to defeat. Slightly weaker in physical strength, Elven infantry and cavalry tend to rely on skill more than brute force. They are cautious warriors, swift but somewhat fragile, so they plan their attacks carefully. The support of their good allies and woodland creatures adds to their formidability in times of war.

The Halflings

General: Halflings are a small, peaceful race of humanoids. Outgoing and cheerful, Halflings lead a pastoral life emphasizing comfort. Halflings are not likely to go on adventures, as such endeavors make one late for dinner.

Society: Halfling society is one of harmony and peace. Villages can be made up of as few as two or three families. They farm and trade with close neighbors like the Elves and Dwarves. Even in old age, Halflings manage to remain cheerful and productive. They work hard at their businesses, but work is rarely their primary focus.

Combat: Even though war can be brutal, Halflings tend not to take it seriously. They cope by telling tales and retreating to thoughts of more pleasant things, when not engaged in combat. Nevertheless, Halflings make fine warriors, as they are able to use their nimbleness and size to evade their opponents, taking the offensive when they see an opening in the enemy's defenses. Halflings are very resourceful in times of war, employing allies such as Satyrs, Centaurs, Great Eagles, and Rogues to fight alongside them.

The Dwarves

General: Dwarves are small, stocky humanoids known for their industriousness and tenacity in battle. They usually live in elaborate underground cities built beneath mountains, but can adapt to almost any climate. Dwarves harbor a deep respect for the earth and rock, stable things that stand the test of time.

Society: Almost all Dwarves are warriors, inventors, or hard laborers. Dwarves have a very strict work ethic, and do not believe in leisure or wasting time. They are also very family-oriented folk, and it is common for businesses and occupations to be handed down through many generations. Although they will freely cooperate with the other good, and sometimes neutral, races, Dwarves tend to look down upon those who do not work as hard as they do and waste too much time on entertainment.

Combat: Dwarves make some of the fiercest warriors in all of the lands. They prefer a good close-quarters fight to the use of magic and missile weapons, but that does not stop them from laying siege to well-fortified cities with archers and bombards. Although they look down upon stealth tactics, they havebeen known to attack from underground caves and over mountains to gain the element of surprise.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Neutral Races

The Azracs

General: The Azracs are an aggressive, desert-dwelling race. They are, in many ways, similar to Humans. What little hair they have on their bodies they usually shave. Azracs wear minimal clothing and disdain heavy armor. Their religious zeal makes them particularly aggressive and fanatic.

Society: Azrac society is one of strict religious and societal conformity. Insubordination to one's superiors is neither tolerated nor punished lightly. Azracs believe that the almighty god, Yaka, ordains one's social status. Still, a high level of respect for all other Azracs is common in Azrac society. Azracs are wary of most races and only ally themselves with other neutral races, unless turly dire circumstances force them to broaden their trust. They typically do not mix or intermingle even with their allies, as all others are seen as inferior in the eys of Yaka. Azracs disdain the concepts of good and evil, and will go to war with any who stand in the way of their religious beliefs or goals.

Combat: Azracs will fight fearlessly, because they believe that dying for their god will make them immortal. They are prepared to give their lives for their king or god at any time. In combat, Azracs most often take the offensive and attack relentlessly. They are naturally good fighters because of their inbred toughness, fostered by living in a harsh desert environment. Their disdain for any kind of armor leaves them somewhat vulnerable, however. Azrac tactics typically consist of overrunning their enemies with brute force and magic, and they rarely employ stealth tactics.

The Frostlings

General: Frostlings are a race of small, nomadic humanoids that dwell in the cold northern regions. They are thought to be distant relatives of the Goblins. Frostlings possess a gray complexion and large, deep-blue eyes. Frostling clothing is simple and often weather-worn from the harsh cold winds and ice storms. Because of their natural resistance to the cold, however, Frostlings need little protection from the wintry elements.

Society: Frostling society embraces hard work and struggle. Because of the harsh environment and weather conditions in which they live, Frostlings must rely extensively on the cooperation and support of their fellow townsfolk and neighboring communities. As a nomadic people, when the weather becomes unbearable, they move south to more temperate climates. Oftentimes, the Frostlings will put together raiding parties to conquer nearby towns when they need shelter from extremely harsh weather.

Combat: Frostlings are a hardy race, but they are not known for their fighting ability. They are still feared on the battlefield, however, because of the allies they bring from the north, including Dire Penguins, Yeti, Frost Queens, and Ice Drakes. Frostlings rely on fighting ability, magic, and sheer numbers to overcome their foes, utilizing a wider array of tactics when in their home terrain. As a result, their ability to expand their home terrain makes them even more dangerous.

The Humans

General: The most common inhabitant of the land is man. The youngest of the races, Humans have only been present in the land with the other ancient races for a few centuries. Still, Humans have spread across all parts of the land and have become varied in appearance and nature. Their adaptability allows them to live and thrive in nearly any climate.

Society: Due to their relatively short life spans, Humans tend to strive to accomplish things as quickly as possible. Their cities have risen from the ground to encompass vast stretches of land. Human rulers claim dominion over huge empires and believe they are destined to dominate the entire world. These rugged people can adapt to any climate and can even live underground. Humans seem to be making incredible advances in technology in recent times, accelerating their spread across the lands.

Combat: Humans have been known to use a wide array of combat tactics against other races, depending on the nature of the enemy. Humans make average warriors, clerics, archers, and cavalry. Mounted knights make a very strong addition to cavalry, and charlatans are often used for sneak attacks or ranged support. The preferred weapon of almost all Human warriors is the long sword. When available, Human musketeers can give a decided advantage in town sieges and ranged attacks.

The Lizardmen

General: Lizardmen are a savage race of reptilian humanoids. Lizardmen are covered in scales and vary in color from deep green to a lighter brown-green. Lizardmen prefer to live near large bodies of water or swamps, but can thrive in nearly any climate except the cold north.

Society: Lizardmen society is governed almost entirely by strength and brute force. All Lizardmen answer to a single king, selected by his ability to defeat the current king in hand-to-hand combat. One's status is determined almost entirely at or before birth. Potential Heroes and kings usually have some discerning characteristic present on their eggs, or on their bodies once hatched. A spotted egg often forecasts the birth of a shaman or one with magical ability. Since magic is viewed with distrust in Lizardmen society, a close eye is kept on those few shamans with the ability to wield magical powers. Still, they are typically given important roles, such as becoming the king's advisors or the town's healers.

Combat: In combat, Lizardmen fight in unorganized groups, relying heavily on frontal assaults. Lizardmen are extremely aggressive and prefer melee combat to missile attacks. One of their most devastating tactics is to cross bodies of water and launch surprise attacks on unsuspecting cities. They are able to do so with full siege weaponry, as they employ specially constructed ballistas and catapults mounted atop giant turtles.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Evil Races

The Dark Elves

General: Dark Elves are the evil counterparts of normal Elves. They prefer to live in darkness, hidden from the sun's revealing rays. Although they were once part of the Elven community that walks in the glow of the sun, they choose now to live underground. After only a few generations, they began adapting to the darkness and disliking the sunlight. Most Dark Elves have a dark gray-green complexion with white or silver hair.

Society: The Dark Elves once enjoyed the same life of peace and relaxation as their kindred Elves on the surface. Now their lives are filled with chaos and disaster, much of which is brought on by living underground. Still, the Dark Elves strive to achieve order through their strict family caste system. most Dark Elves are too preoccupied with their lust for vengeance against the Humans and other Elves to relax during rare periods of peace and quiet.

Combat: Dark Elves will use any means necessary to achieve victory in battle. Although their warriors and archers are just as skilled as those of the Elves, the Dark Elves tend to rely on tactics involving deception and surprise. Most often, they will achieve these effects through the use of magic - which they are able to master easily - drawing power from dark rituals and necromancy. Oftentimes, when a direct assault is needed, they will send in allied Orcs and Goblins to thin the ranks of the enemy before sending their elite Executioners.

The Goblins

General: Related to the Orcs, these little horrors live in filthy underground tunnels. They are feared, not for their strength, but for their multitude. Goblins hate bright sunlight and will try to avoid it. Goblins are often characterized as stupid creatures, probably because of the number of times that they have been duped and enslaved by other races. While not a particularly smart race, Goblins are quite technically proficient, and have been known to replicate and modify existing designs and creations to suit their malicious needs.

Society: Goblins mostly live in tribes underground. Their holes are filthy breeding grounds for a wide variety of diseases, none of which seem to affect them. Goblin society is one of struggle and war in which every member of society must contribute. Most Goblins live almost entirely for the thrill of the carnage they cause and the loot they capture. Rarely will one ever witness a Goblin performing physical labor of its own free will. Goblins have a wicked, cruel streak, and common forms of entertainment include torturing prisoners and gladiatorial fights between captives, beasts, or any mix thereof.

Combat: Goblins are not particularly strong in combat, and they tend to use nontraditional weaponry such as spears, poisonous darts, and bombs to gain the upper hand. Often thought to be stupid creatures, Goblins are frequently able to use this very sterotype to their advantage in battle, employing a variety of unconventional, but effective, battle tactics. Still, more often than not, Goblins achieve their battle victories through overwhelming numbers alone.

The Orcs

General: Orcs are a race of humanoids known for their rough facial features and brutality in battle. They stand roughly as tall as Humans, their hair is typically dark and unkempt, and their skin tone is a greenish hue. Orcs are not thought to be very intelligent beings, but are well-respected and feared in battle by both allies and enemies.

Society: Orcs believe that they are the supreme race. They have little, if any, respect for other races. Pride, wealth, and territory are highly valued, and Orcs believe the best way to obtain these things is through war and battle. Orc society is harsh. Its members are forced to endure many types of pain, suffering, and deprivation on a daily basis in order to make them stronger. Status is based solely on one's rank within the military, which is usually based on strength and stamina. When not at war, Orcs often fight amongst each other for lack of any other way to express their aggression.

Combat: Orcs take particular pleasure in the brutality of war and hand-to-hand combat. They have refined the art of war to a degree beyond that of any other race and are able to deal with almost any situation through some means of force, be it by combat or assassination. Since not every Orc is cut out for infantry, much less cavalry and the elite ranks, ranks of archers and shamans are plentiful, although they are rarely ever called upon except when tactically needed. Orcs consider the use of magic in battle cowardly, and one of the only reasons an Orc will ever run from battle is if the enemy is utilizing magic heavily.

The Undead

General: The masses of Undead found their way to the land of the living through a planar rift, opened when the Trumps of Doom were sounded. Now that they are among the living, they seek solely to destroy all living creatures and add them to their soulless ranks. The most common type of Undead appear as skeletal remains of their once living bodies. However, other types of Undead exist as well, including Wraiths and the dreaded Reaper.

Society: Undead have little "society" of which to speak. They often conquer and occupy the towns and cities of other races. Some Undead are needed to do basic work to maintain the housing and buildings in these cities, but most Undead exist only to destroy everything else around them and expand the numbers and reach of their people.

Combat: Already dead, the Undead have little to fear. They can be destroyed most often by brute force, but most are immune to the effects of poison and fear and are highly resistant to lightning, fire and cold. Slow moving and expendable, Undead often resort to victory by numbers. Expecting such tactics, many a town has been surprised and overrun by more powerful Wraiths or by swift-moving Demons, Hellhounds, and Werewolves.

Note: Werewolves are not in this game, though there's a mod that restores them. The Trumps of Doom are something we'll hear about in the timeline and have no relevance to the campaign.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pierzak posted:

Speaking of cut content, what about the Siege Kettle?

If you're referring to the Freezer, it's also present in the Warlock's Rule Set mod.

In total, the cut units are:

Werewolf (cut Undead unit)
Silver Dragon (cut Human unit)
Ghost (cut neutral monster)
Necromancer (cut Undead unit)
Freezer (cut Builder's Guild unit)
Sargon (cut neutral unit - believed to be an early version of the Syron)

And for anyone who's interested, the entire Age of Wonders series is now available on gog.com

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bloodly posted:

I wonder if that gem really did have power in it, though?

We'll see it again in the Keeper campaign's High Men ending.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Taerkar posted:

The Humans sniping Meandor near the start made it a bit easier, but going into that scenario as the Highmen makes it rather easy to wipe out the undead.

It also really helps having the Humans, period. The High Men version of the Valley of Wonders is by far the easiest. Everyone else has to contend with the Humans as well as the High Men, and the High Men are are very strong against the Undead specifically.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Burn them all

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Time to start the Age of Wonders timeline. The manual includes a lengthy timeline of the events leading up to this game, that every subsequent game in the series completely ignores. It's an interesting read, setting up all the players and powers of Age of Wonders, and also mentions almost all of the independent scenarios you can play outside the campaign.

It begins 1216 years before the start of the game...

0 LIR: (Lord Inioch's Reign) Inioch is crowned Emperor of the Elven Kingdom and his father retires to Evermor. He is the undisputed supreme monarch over the Blessed Continent. From the Verdant Court in the Valley of Wonders, Inioch's word is law.

800 LIR: A new race called the High Men appear before the Verdant Court. Inioch hides the official communications between the Verdant Court and the High Men, keeping their requests to himself. Instead, Inioch forms a political coalition among all the races of reason to promote peace with the new comers, assigning many scholars to lead the effort. They are called the Keepers. The Keepers, grossly ill-informed of High Men intentions, satiate the strange newcomers with their intentions of peace.

801 LIR: The High Men leave to work in their 'garden.'

870 LIR: Inioch announces his wife's pregnancy. The Verdant Kingdom rejoices for the duration of the pregnancy.

878 LIR: After 8 years of pregnancy, Inioch's wife gives birth to Meandor, but the celebrations are cut short. Inioch's first wife, Julia, dies in childbirth. Her body is taken to Evermor. The celebration of the new heir's birth is overshadowed by the obligation to mourn the loss of the Elven Queen.

898 LIR: The minimal period of mourning expires, and Inioch marries Elwyn the following day. Meandor, still only a child, resents Elwyn and finds the haste of their marriage an insult to his mother.

961 LIR: Inioch announces that Queen Elwyn is pregnant. Inioch justifies the new child's conception by claiming the child will replace his first wife among the Elven population. Factions led by Meandor in the Verdant Court refuse to celebrate the child's coming.

962 LIR: Vessels appear on the horizon, and some island nations issue complaints about the migration of an uncouth race called Humans. After overwhelming many of these islands, the first Human explorers continue on to the Blessed Continent, following after retreating ships.

965 LIR: The first Humans reach the Valley of Wonders and form a small colony. The Keepers insist they be allowed to come and instruct the Dwarven Sentinels to open the Valley passageways to all.

Next time: Things fall apart.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Summon mermaid!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

I imagine it would have hurt more if you'd done it the other way around?

Yes. Most Azrac units have Fire Resistance built in, and most Frostling units have Cold Resistance built on. There are exceptions (Azrac elephants, for example, I believe lack fire resistance), but all of the actual racial units, and most of their allies/monsters tend to share those perks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

Weird that the Highmen start off at war with everyone.

Or maybe that's vice-versa, in which case it's less surprising.

Spoilers for the Keeper campaign. The High Men and Keepers oppose each other. The Keepers want to preserve the world as it currently exist. The High Men want to purge and remake the world for the humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Taerkar posted:

Spend those points! After this we'll be starting on Age of Wonders 2.

No Keeper campaign? I like it a lot more than the Cult campaign, to be honest, and it has an interesting story of its own.

Well, that and I just don't like 2 and its expansion.

• Locked thread