Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Lizard-Wizard, Water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I like that little blurb about how the most powerful Tigrans hurl firebolts when that's only done by Fire Cats, one of the weakest units in the entire game, IMO. They got a little better in SM, but not much.

Still one of my favorite AOW races, though. Tiger Master spam all day every day.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Shadow Magic Halfings are vastly improved over AoW2 Halfins, aka "The race where everything is slow and garbage except Leprechauns." It's true that their stealth gimmick is useless in single player, though.

Like seriously, I remember being so frustrated with Water Phase that I managed to break out charts proving to myself that every halfing unit was objectively worse then every other equivalent unit except for the Leprechauns and maybe slingers. Being a slow-rear end race on maps with water and difficult terrain everywhere just made it worse.

Pretty sure I would just hole up in cities and use water summons to explore until I had high tier units every time I played it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Glazius posted:

Are Halfling units, like, cheaper or something to make up for their decreased power?

Like everyone else said, no there's not really any trade-off for Halfling units being slow and fragile and bad at fighting in this game. They just straight up blow chunks.

Shadow Magic made halflings good again by buffing the poo poo out of them. The low tier fighting units got their recruitment cost cut down to almost nothing, most units gained concealment, Rogues got mega-buffed, the entire race went from resist 6 to resist 10, Sheriffs got pistols, ect.

A lot of races got way more fun to play in Shadow Magic but for Halflings the difference is night and day.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

So Leprechauns just bolt everything to death and never get hit?

That's about it!

Not only that, but they have:

Regen: Heal back to full health every turn out of combat.
Concealment: Invisible on the campaign map.
Swimming: Can Cross Water
Sabotage: Massive damage vs siege weapons, unlimited use.
Phase: Can teleport once in combat. Walls are useless.

Leprechauns are tiny avatars of concentrated bullshit to try and deal with. They're the one unit no one forgets after playing this game.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
It's really more a multiplayer thing. The AI isn't smart enough to mass Leprechauns or use them properly. Even then I wouldn't say they're the strongest thing in the game, just infuriating.

quote:

Although I usually buff my troops a lot, so that might help a bit.

Funnily enough, they can also dispel buffs. :) I don't think I've ever had cause to use it, though.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Glazius posted:

How does this game treat carryover between campaign missions? Do you just keep everything?

More or less. You keep your items, heroes, and researched spells/skills between missions, but every time you enter a new elemental cycle, you start over from scratch. It's more like a list of 3 mission mini-campaigns then one large over-arching one. Until the last mission, but that's a thing.

quote:

Welcome back! If the next level is the one I'm remembering, gently caress it mightily.

Pretty sure that's the mission that made me rage so hard I had to vent by creating detailed charts and graphs documenting exactly how hosed Halflings were against Goblins in vanilla AoW2. Well, the first time. There's a trick to making the mission more manageable...I think.

madmac fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 3, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
The evolution of the entire Age of Wonders series could probably be summarized as "Massively nerfed Heroes. Still Bulldozers of Destruction."

I couldn't imagine playing it any other way. :)

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I agree, actually. Even though Shadow Magic had massively improved mechanics and balancing I could never get into the campaign as much as I did Vanilla AoW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I always liked the Life campaign too, for a lot of reasons. The missions are all pretty fun and straightforward, and Life Magic by itself is a pretty noticeable change of pace from the regular old Elemental Spheres. Elves are also just a fun race to play around with, not nearly as slow or frustrating as playing Halflings before Leprechauns come out.

• Locked thread