Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Bring on the storm!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Let us show them strength and cunning. We shall be a Dark Elf Brawler.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm just going to add my sphere vote, since I voted before I saw the additional clause: 2 air, 1 death

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Northern Route.

Enslave!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Coolguye posted:

What's so bad about the caverns? Usually I slaughter both leaders in about a week of arrival and it's game tape solved.

Do not meddle with bandwagoning Goons, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
1 Sneaky Bastard :human being: - 62 points
3 Veteran Wolf Riders :black101::black101::black101: - 84 points
1 Goblin Shaman :okpos: - 26 points
1 Magical Axe :dota101: - 85 points
43 Gold :20bux::20bux::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames: - 43 points

Watching Halflings burn :supaburn: - priceless.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
1 Sneaky Bastard :human being: - 212 points
2 Goblin Wolf Riders :black101::black101: - 56 points
1 Goblin Shaman :okpos: - 26 points
1 Magical Axe :dota101: - 85 points
1 Magical Helm :mil101: - 40 points
1 Demon :devil: - 105 points
1 Gold :retrogames: - 1 point

Complaints :commissar: - denied

You'll probably notice the distinct lack of Orcs in this list. gently caress 'em, let's chum up with Lizards :feelsgood:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Water x2

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Taerkar posted:

Okay... I just won this mission in 12 turns. Do you guys want to see this, or would you rather me play it out in a more difficult manner?

For bonus points, guess which one unit I lost the entire mission:

Gorthak
Orc Warlord
Goblin Wolf Rider (Either)
Goblin Shaman
Lizard Archer
Lizard Swordsman

Gorthak?

Unless it's him, keep the short version. It fits our "hero".

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Take the Human Chevalier.

I don't care about the rest.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
So, I bought the game on GOG, and ran into 'cosmagic surgery' in my first skirmish game. It's a funny little Easter Egg.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Azktor.

The conquered lands need a viceroy, and Gorthak is up for the job.

Leave the cavalry with him as an honor guard (negative vote for mounted units), take the rogue, the assassin, the turtlepult, and use the remaining points however you see fit.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Siding with the Undead means helping a devouring force of darkness to cleanse the land of all life. Last time I checked, Vhendor was quite fond of his own life. We'd also be bowing to our former liege, despite telling the Cult of Storms to go gently caress themselves. Not to mention that we'd become a tool of Death instead of the other way around.

The rather unfortunately named Highmen, on the other hand, might just be what we need. Sure, we might lie on the opposite sides of that pretentious good/evil scale, but they're the best hammer available for dealing with a skull-shaped nail. Since they refuse to deal with us in person, they can't fully control our actions, which means that we can further our own agenda as we fight on. Besides, they sound like that silly sort that actually follows up on the promises they make, so if power is a part of our deal with them, we're certainly going to get it.

Since Gorthak was with us since the beginning, he should certainly follow us 'till the end. We should also bring along that dwarf Thomac. We're going to be dealing with a lot of "good" *spits* races from now on, and having a trusted lieutenant capable of quelling their doubts in our cause should prove valuable. Also, he smashes city walls with his hammer.

We need to learn more about Death magic, our future "allies" are too afraid to use it, and too desperate to complain about us using it. The irony of having them fight alongside a necromancer would be delicious.
Wind magic... Yes, the time has finally come to master it. Just like the flow of wind is shaped by the earth, so have our actions been shaped by those we followed. But wind is not a servant. It changes the land, it shapes the deserts, it crumbles the mountains. One day, there will be nothing left but the plains and the winds. And just like the wind subverts and tricks and deceives and conquers the world, so shall we, in the end.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I still think that we should have taken death. :mad:
It's not a major difference in gameplay, but think of the irony. And the delicious, delicious death-nodes.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Farewell Ghortak, you were a great pal. We're taking the other two heroes instead.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Taerkar posted:

Incarnates with access to Syrons

Just Incarnates. They're hard to use right, but if you get some skill with them, they're the most broken unit in the game.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Page-schmage. Nothing can get past Atam. Up and Atam, Atam.

I found an interesting use for level 1 spellcasting on combat oriented heroes (other than self-buffing). If you have a top tier blast spell, you can have them slowly charge up over the following 20-30 turns and once you are ready for the decisive battle, have all of them cast the blast at once. It's utterly devastating, if mana intensive.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Up and Atam, Atam. :downs:
Bring the elite Ranger and the lightning shield too.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Both heroes
200 gold
1 mana crystal

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
OK, I'll change my vote.

:orks101:

And the Titan

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The 3 Stooges and the Astra

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
There goes Meandor, his meandering ways failing to save him from those he sought to annihilate.

Mobility combined with some sort of ability that helps avoid combat is incredibly powerful in this game. Just for fun, I played a campaign with my secondary hero built in such a way that she had 45-ish movement, swimming, wall-climbing, concealment, and could cast the movement buff from the earth magic school. So many maps are over within 10 turns simply because I can decapitate the enemy before the conflict escalates. Essentially, what this air-barge did, but better.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cythereal posted:

gently caress these things. Leprechauns are quite possibly the most goddamn annoying units in the entire game. They don't do much damage, but they're a bitch and a half to take out, especially in numbers.

Also, they're one of the few gimmicky units that the AI can use properly. Trying to take out what seems like a vulnerable detachment of halfling swordsmen only to run into 3-4 of those guys, particularly if they can get you next turn even if you run away, is a nice way to ruin your gaming day.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Dwarfs only have 1 allied unit (giants), their other units are their foot troops, cavalry and machines. Firstborn are just cranky old dorfs made of magma.
Goblins have 2 units that aren't goblins, goblin made or goblin ridden - the Troll and the Karrag, and the Karrag's purpose is essentially to be a huge warhound. So they only have 1 ally.
Azraks and Lizardmen... They use a variety of beasts naturally found in their respective biomes so I'm not quite sure what to count them as.
And the Orcs have both slaves and allies: kobolds and dragons.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Time travelling Vhendor - Best Vhendor.

Bring Gorthak and his 2 wolf riders. Spend the other points as you see fit.

As far as the spheres go... Hm...
The Humans must burn. The Humans must burn. The Humans must burn. The Humans must BURN!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
To be honest, halflings have the best T1 units in the game, although I'm pretty sure it's not going to help them here.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ah, it's time travelling Gorthak, not Vhendor. Intriguing. Well, still voting for bringing Gorthak, the bog shield, and the remaining rider.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Bog shield
Ze pack
How much does the Ring of Protection cost?

B
Yeah, we're not going to exterminate all the humans, we're going to leave them a message that they'll never forget - That they are insignificant compared to Vhendor and that they'll never rule their own kingdom in these lands ever again.

edit: Oh, take that ring as well, then.
vvvvvvvvvvvvv

my dad fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 16, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Shadowmorn posted:

Woah, i voted for "Let them live until we burn them all in the valley of wonders.", just sayin'. :colbert:

Heh, now i really want you to do that. Get to the valley of wonders level and set out to raze every city and structure to the ground but that strikes me as an incredibly dickish move since you'd end up with, what, 3 cities and a handful of structures? :v:

Actually, I played the final mission in a similar way. All except for 1 human city which I converted to dark elves and used as my main base of operations. People who played the game probably know which one I'm talking about.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Taerkar posted:

It's a perfectly viable tactic If you have a certain Death spell

A very, very viable tactic for any mission, in fact.

Are you going to be doing a quick Cult->Undead playthrough or are you going to do the Keeper campaigns after this one?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Never not bring Gorthak. Take the bog shield and er... whatever the other goons vote for.

This mission is something special. The first time I played it, I lost a significant part of my force while taking the human capitol, and then the Azrac doomtrain showed up. :gonk:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
That map is sooo much easier if you have a hero who can swim.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Go with the Dark Elves, and keep Gorthak with you till the end. Leave the path of the damned to the wretched Keepers.

edit: Also, the humans must burn. (2xfire)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Pierzak posted:

gently caress sequels, they aren't worth it. Finish this game properly.

Storywise, yeah, at least the Wizard's Throne (Haven't played the other one)
There are some interesting changes in the gameplay, though.

edit: But the priority here is in keeping the LP interesting to Taerkar. So let's not overextend the time he's going to spend on AoW1.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Taerkar posted:

I'm going to try something a bit different for this mission. I'm going to play 7 days at a time and make weekly (in game time hopefully) updates.

Sounds good to me.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Isn't fire halo supposed to let you walk on lava?

As far as the vote goes...
Don't destroy the teleport, but try to take out the undead as soon as possible.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Why would we be so cruel to deny the dead a chance to have vengeance? Let them kill!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
He's one of our true kin. Spare him, of course.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Taerkar posted:

No real vote right now, though I suppose I'm open to any suggestions as to what you'd like to see for the rest of this map. Any units?

A very special one that might turn those 'holy' woods into something more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Shadowmorn posted:

Are Incarnates in AOW1? Can they possess heroes?

Yes and yes. :unsmigghh:.

• Locked thread