Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!

Mega Comrade posted:

Patch notes 1/2.

Thanks for posting the patch notes, Mega Comrade. I unfortunately was working when the whole patch process was happening that day.

They all seem like great fixes, especially to Citadel. I usually just leave the server if Citadel shows up.

Speaking of Citadel, the other day I was coaching a friend of mine on playing Chivalry, and of course that awful map came up on the server's rotation and we were both Agatha. I did my normal MaA song and dance while my buddy went Archer. Poor guy didn't get a single kill the whole time, except near the end. He managed to headshot the Mason king Ulfric for the killing blow to win the match. I'm kicking myself for not getting a screenshot. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Is it just me being lucky or does the alternate overhead with twohanders catch people off-guard really often? Because I've been using it quite a lot and it seems like oftentimes enemies either won't see it coming or will block too early.

And are any of you guys using the alternate attacks a lot to begin with? I always kinda tended to forget about them before, but now I bound them to the Q and E keys for easy access and have had some pretty good success with them. The slight downside is that I'll keep chopping at ammo boxes and torch piles and stuff until I get used to R being my use key now. :v:

Shylock
Feb 10, 2011

IMPETUOUS BOY!
Left click - right side sideswing
Thumb button 1 - left side sideswing
Thumb button 2 - stab
Mouse wheel up - overhead
Mouse wheel down - alt overhead
Rightclick - block/feint/whatever

Because gently caress keyboard.

Also drunken brawls are god drat amazing.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
There's a button you can hold to pull off the alternate attacks, I think it's left alt by default. Whatever it is I remapped it to one of my side mouse buttons, so I just have to hold that and scroll down for alternate overheads or whatever. I find it easier to manage than trying to find three suitable buttons to bind to the extra attacks. The different speeds and angles can catch people out though, and some attacks like the alternate LMB swings going left-to-right instead of right-to-left make it easier to get around shields.

Speaking of overheads I've seen a few more people than usual using them while facing the ground. I don't know if there's an actual increase in people doing it but it's a pretty dull exploit to be using. That and the issues of vanguards hitting people who are standing behind them could probably reduced by making weapons do less damage during their wind up animation. Hope they fix firepots soon, MAAs still don't seem to get credited with an assist for using them, game only acknowledges them if they cause a kill.

Mega Comrade posted:

-Fixed CTF flags in LTS variation of Ruins.

Those fuckers, running around with the flag in LTS was the best part :(.

az
Dec 2, 2005

If you drag downwards while overheading it reaches the hitbox faster :wotwot:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

az posted:

If you drag downwards while overheading it reaches the hitbox faster :wotwot:

On pretty much all of the large weapons it causes them to connect instantly. Said weapons are also the ones that kill MaA and Archers in one overhead.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Robot Randy posted:

On pretty much all of the large weapons it causes them to connect instantly. Said weapons are also the ones that kill MaA and Archers in one overhead.

Yeah, the buffed damage of the Zweihander and Bardiche is all kind of bullshit. It doesn't even have to hit you in the head to kill you, an overhead chest shot will too. The only way to survive is if it hits your legs.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Roobanguy posted:

Yeah, the buffed damage of the Zweihander and Bardiche is all kind of bullshit. It doesn't even have to hit you in the head to kill you, an overhead chest shot will too. The only way to survive is if it hits your legs.

Did they seriously buff the vanguard in the patch? What the gently caress kind of drug are the developers smoking? Or are they just lighting whole computers and cars and poo poo on fire and inhaling everything at this point?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Slappy Moose posted:

Did they seriously buff the vanguard in the patch? What the gently caress kind of drug are the developers smoking? Or are they just lighting whole computers and cars and poo poo on fire and inhaling everything at this point?

No, they're just reading their own forums.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I've definitely been one-shotted from full health by a Vanguard multiple times while playing Archer within the last hour and none of them were decapitations, so it's definitely possible :shrug:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
C'mon guys, didn't you know that a 2-handed sword makes you into some sort of berserker that can slay all foes at a whim. :jerkbag:

Seriously though. Wtf, are they actively trying to ruin the game so its only played by no-skill shitlords?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I've definitely been one-shotted from full health by a Vanguard multiple times while playing Archer within the last hour and none of them were decapitations, so it's definitely possible :shrug:

This was possible with the zweihander for a long time, it's nothing new. The only weapons they changed damage values for were daggers. They also changed the damage types for a few things, but not swords.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

To be fair, Archers kind of have to be one-shottable by huge weapons.

If they aren't, there's no justification for Heavy Crossbow or Heavy Javelin's high power. Particularly Heavy Javelin, which can work quite well point blank.

Vanguard has absolutely no business being made any stronger though, it is already the best class overall. I know I'm going to be the odd one out here, but I seriously don't think Knight is very good in comparison. Their armor slowing them down is quite the detriment; the extra defense it offers is not worth the speed hit.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 31, 2013

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Tallgeese posted:

I know I'm going to be the odd one out here, but I seriously don't think Knight is very good in comparison. Their armor slowing them down is quite the detriment; the extra defense it offers is not worth the speed hit.
I don't think you're the odd man out at all. I pretty much wreck knights whenever I play vanguard, unless they are just astoundingly good or I'm fighting more than 3 of them and I'm alone. They are just so loving slow that I can pretty much poke them down at long range, and they can't escape because they move so slow.

Tallgeese posted:

To be fair, Archers kind of have to be one-shottable by huge weapons.

Too bad MAAs, the most difficult class to play, also get one-shotted by the simplest class. And, thanks to the lovely block mechanics and the fact that it's possible for a vanguard to just jump and look down to make his attack go through most blocks and connect instantly, vanguards can literally insta-kill MAAs with two button presses.

Great job Torn Banner, A+ game design :thumbsup:

az
Dec 2, 2005

I would volunteer to help them with design for free because there is a fundamentally good game there, it's just muddled up with questionable design choices and oversights that, if fixed, would make it a proper great game.

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

:qq: Freedom :qq:

az posted:

I would volunteer to help them with design for free because there is a fundamentally good game there, it's just muddled up with questionable design choices and oversights that, if fixed, would make it a proper great game.

Every time I play the game it seems to get worse.

They should just roll back a couple of patches. :colbert:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Admiral Snuggles posted:

Every time I play the game it seems to get worse.

They should just roll back a couple of patches. :colbert:

Only if Treb 3 stays gone.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Slappy Moose posted:

I don't think you're the odd man out at all. I pretty much wreck knights whenever I play vanguard, unless they are just astoundingly good or I'm fighting more than 3 of them and I'm alone. They are just so loving slow that I can pretty much poke them down at long range, and they can't escape because they move so slow.

Knights aren't any slower than vanguards though. They have a pretty similar range of fast/slow weapons. Yesterday I did a bunch of duels as a knight going sword of war/norse sword. Actually I just used the norse sword with no shield 80% of the time, and won most of my matches against similarly ranked guys, playing all different classes and loadouts. Knight/Norse is a good combo - your weapon speed is now as fast as an MAA, and instead of a dodge you have a ton of health. No reach, but that's useful against vanguards - if you're letting a vanguard keep reach on you, you're probably going to die.

It's the same reason why I usually grab my war axe when I'm playing VG and I see another one coming at me.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

I'm so gonna bully you!

If anything, vanguards are weaker knights. Knights are only slightly slower overall compared to vanguards, especially when the chasing mechanic kicks in. (In terms of unreal-engine speed units, vanguards have a base speed of 190 against the knight's 180.) On the other hand, the extra hit(s) knights can take does make a huge difference, and they use less stamina when blocking to boot.

Literally the only thing vanguards have over knights is more reach on most weapons. Granted, this does make them easier to hit with when facing inexperienced players, but you have a definite disadvantage when facing an equally skilled knight, since it's rather easy to close the distance anyway. Oh, they also have a gimmicky charge mechanic I suppose, but using it is suicide most of the time.

Edit: Not that I think vanguards should be buffed or anything, but they definitely need some tweaking in order to give them more of an unique role.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 31, 2013

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
Vanguards are decent for big battles, but in 1 vs 1 altercations I rarely lose to a Vanguard when I'm using a sword+shield combo.

By the way, is anyone else getting insane latency since the last patch hit?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Exodee posted:

Literally the only thing vanguards have over knights is more reach on most weapons. Granted, this does make them easier to hit with when facing inexperienced players, but you have a definite disadvantage when facing an equally skilled knight, since it's rather easy to close the distance anyway. Oh, they also have a gimmicky charge mechanic I suppose, but using it is suicide most of the time.
By the way, don't Vanguards also have a crazy attack arc whenever they swing a two-handed sword?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

I'm so gonna bully you!

Only with the zweihander, but its slow slashes are really easy to read anyway. (mouse-dragging notwithstanding) Meanwhile, the claymore is very similar to the longsword and sword-of-war but on a more fragile class, while the greatsword sits in between the two but doesn't do anything all that well.

treestump
Dec 20, 2004
what was David Coverdale to do?
Regular Vanguard with Claymore and Hatchet checking in. Claymore for killing idiots of all classes, Hatchet for fighting good archers/maa/1-hander knights. I find my playstyle tends to annoy a lot of people, but it works. Doing the dance with the Claymore tricks so many players that I tend to forget how to fight people who actually watch what I'm doing and react accordingly.

Vanguard could definitely lose the charge attack. I wouldn't even care if they got a replacement ability, just removing that charge would be ++ in my book.

Alternate attacks do catch a lot of people off guard, myself included, but I find it easier to deal with than someone who makes intelligent use of body position to vary their swing speed.

Shylock
Feb 10, 2011

IMPETUOUS BOY!
Faking a charge can be an advantage though.. People are used to the fact that a charge can be easily blocked/dodged and dont really put much attention to it. Running up to someone then doing a jump stab can put a lot of people off-guard and pass above most of the shields unless they're doing a strictly upwards block.

Electric Slug
Oct 30, 2011
Charges are the best if you have a maul. You just set up an overhand while they charge and their head explodes in the ensuring mess. Also, I've discovered a newfound love for the double axe. Theres just something meaty about the look of it, and the fact that its a short range weapon actually makes it really good for citadel and fighting MAAs

az
Dec 2, 2005

Game is listing most servers up to four five SIX times in a row now, my browser reads like I have double vision. Good job :allears:

edit: Screenshot got some weird sepia filter going on.

az fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 2, 2013

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

Vanguard has absolutely no business being made any stronger though, it is already the best class overall. I know I'm going to be the odd one out here, but I seriously don't think Knight is very good in comparison. Their armor slowing them down is quite the detriment; the extra defense it offers is not worth the speed hit.

Vanguards are push-button-to-win in ffa in enclosed areas like the arena, but I almost never use them for dueling for the reasons posted above.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

radintorov posted:

By the way, don't Vanguards also have a crazy attack arc whenever they swing a two-handed sword?

Yes. Their swords will hit you before the actual animation model touches your model, and they can hit people in a 360 degree arc around them for full damage. It's incredibly annoying and lovely, and makes an otherwise fairly balanced weapon complete bullshit (especially when like 50% of all players use it).

The latest patch, at least, made it a bit easier to block intuitively. Though sprinting around in circles and swinging left-to-right is still the most efficient way to use the loving two handed swords, unfortunately.

az
Dec 2, 2005

What do you guys think about playing in 3rd person mode?

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
I found it useful when starting out to get a better sense of weapon ranges and what's happening around me. Once you see how wide you swing to the sides you'll quickly learn to stick to stabs and overheads when fighting close to teammates. Blocking can be a bit trickier though and the 3rd person crosshair is really bad for projectiles, have to overaim to get anything on target. I tend to stick with 1st person now.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

az posted:

Game is listing most servers up to four five SIX times in a row now, my browser reads like I have double vision. Good job :allears:

edit: Screenshot got some weird sepia filter going on.

I'm able to fix this by changing the sort order.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

az posted:

What do you guys think about playing in 3rd person mode?

I find it's a good way to practice with weapons when I've switched load outs / classes. You get a good feel for range and speed. Then after a few minutes I'll get frustrated by all the parries I'm missing and switch into first.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I picked this up a few days ago at a friend's suggestion (because it was $8.50) and played the tutorial really early in the morning, tried to find a decent server to play on but they were all empty at the time. Anyway, interested in giving this more of a shot, add me?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/caldrax

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

caldrax posted:

I picked this up a few days ago at a friend's suggestion (because it was $8.50) and played the tutorial really early in the morning, tried to find a decent server to play on but they were all empty at the time. Anyway, interested in giving this more of a shot, add me?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/caldrax

All the servers empty? Maybe your server browser was bugged , I don't think I've even seen under a page of full servers. For an indie game this is pretty popular at all times of the day.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Sorry, rather, all the servers I could get a good ping on were empty. I joined one server and it was low gravity and I didn't want my first game to be low gravity, so I stopped looking. I did see a few full servers but they were at like 300+ latency.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The server browser isn't particularly reliable when it comes to ping, I've joined 400+ ping servers before and once I'd joined it was around 100. It's worth trying these servers.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I don't know why but the game just feels less fluid now. I've not really paid attention to the patch notes so I might just be going crazy.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

NoneSuch posted:

I don't know why but the game just feels less fluid now. I've not really paid attention to the patch notes so I might just be going crazy.

I thought they hosed this up in the patch before last (the one in like late-February/early-March or whatever). It feels a little bit better to me since the most recent patch.

But yes I agree, combat has become far more clunky and unintuitive than before.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Slappy Moose posted:

I thought they hosed this up in the patch before last (the one in like late-February/early-March or whatever). It feels a little bit better to me since the most recent patch.

But yes I agree, combat has become far more clunky and unintuitive than before.

You know, at first I thought you were vastly over exaggerating how terrible the game had become, though I hadn't played since around the January patch.

I started playing again and I'm just amazed at how unplayable the game is now. I used to have so much fun running around chopping heads but now everything just feels wrong. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Elth posted:

You know, at first I thought you were vastly over exaggerating how terrible the game had become, though I hadn't played since around the January patch.

I started playing again and I'm just amazed at how unplayable the game is now. I used to have so much fun running around chopping heads but now everything just feels wrong. :smith:

Agreed. There's very littele incentive to play anything other than a vanguard, unless you want to piss people off as an archer. I did have some fun last night mashing f10 and engaging guys only to explode into pieces in front of them.

Edit: I've been having a lot of instances of my attacks clearly not hitting when they easily should've, that and random combos when I only use a single attack.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 5, 2013

• Locked thread