Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Some sorta Chiv update, coming in at 1.2 GB...And no servers are showing up. Great loving patch :thumbsup:

edit: I lied, 1 server shows up....a Dev Testing Duel server

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az
Dec 2, 2005

Looks like it is this http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12343

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Nah, that's from the 24th, it says right there it's part of the beta client. There's still no changelog for today's patch.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Well I'm assuming last weeks beta patch is todays actual patch so vOv

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Improvements/Additions/Tweaks

-After being deflected from hitting walls/ground/environment, you're now unable to parry until you return to idle. An exception is made for destructible objects, such as the cage locks on Citadel or walls protecting the royal family on Darkforest.
-You can no longer follow up with a combo if you're struck while in release.
-Fists and Piercing/Blunt weapons now explode heads properly.
-Fists now use normal weapon tracers and deal appropriate hitbox damage, making them more precise to hit with and less forgiving - you can now duck and sidestep punches properly. Let the tavern brawls truly begin!
-Further improvements to block detection, eliminating some more edge cases of attacks going through parry boxes when a player's block was properly aimed.
-Blocked the use of certain mildly exploitable UE3 console commands.
-Shield toggle is now consistent between all weapons - either pressing 3 or the number of the weapon (I.E. 1 for primaries 2 for secondaries) will toggle the shield, where previously the behavior varied with some weapons.
-Mute commands now mute text as well as voice.
-Perspective lock and free camera now only apply to living and dead players respectively, not spectators.

Bugfixes

-Fixed flinch sometimes causing "ghost" attack animations to play rather than the flinch animation.
-Fixed a bug/exploit causing players without stamina to be able to daze others who weren't out of stamina.
-Fixed server browser issues introduced in Patch 1.
-Fixed flinch not applying to dazed players.
-Fixed an issue causing siege weapons to appear to fly into the air when a player enters one and jumps.
-Fixed a bug causing catapults to fire point blank when double clicking.
-Fixed players who join spectator still being displayed as being on the team they were previously on.
-Fixed blood particles from dismembered limbs spawning incorrectly.
-Fixed an issue causing players to spawn with the wrong loadout when switching from a team, to spectator, and then to the opposing team.
-Fixed being able to sprint with a bow or crossbow ready to fire.
-Fixed being unable to sprint with throwing weapons and the sling ready to fire.
-Fixed the missing return button from weapon select.
-Fixed both arrow types being displayed as bodkins in weapon select.
-Fixed being unable to throw a torch while sprinting.
-Fixed spectating players who are using a ballista forcing the ballista to rotate.
-Fixed being unable to queue javelin throws.
-Fixed spawning with a random weapon equipped.
-Fixed a case where the setname command wasn't being blocked properly.

Map Changes

Citadel:

-Added awnings to first mason spawn to prevent archers from firing at the ballistae.
-Removed collision from damage states on the locks that were registering player strikes.
-Removed Balista after completion of first objective
-Minor spawn tweaks on final objective for attackers
-(Sound)Made malric must not fall/attack the throne room commander vo attacthed to end of statue fall, was previoused bugged and starting when sale cage pens came down

Hillside:

-Trebuchet 3 message should display correctly now.(Was showing trebuchet 4)

Stoneshill:

-Multiple collision and stuck spot fixes
-Fixed an exploit spot for archers in which they could hide inside the gatehouse mesh.
-Fixed a spot near the mason spawn where players could get on top of the rocks and were hard to access.
-Smoothed over the landscape in areas.
-Moved the ammo crate to the front of the Throne Room to reduce archer nesting around the king.
-Patched up some mesh holes/overlaps

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

-Fixed being able to sprint with a bow or crossbow ready to fire.

:sigh:

Sprinting while constantly laughing with an heavy crossbow was the most fun I've had in this game in a long time.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I see nothing but good things in those patch notes. Hopefully the hitting the ground thing applies to Vanguards whiffing overheads with a polearm.

Hell, even if it doesn't, they should be able to be flinched with reasonable consistency without obliterating you with another overheads immediately afterwards.

E: being able to cause ballistae to rotate by spectating the player using it sounds absolutely hilarious and I'm disappointed that I didn't get to dick around with it at all.

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 30, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

-Fists and Piercing/Blunt weapons now explode heads properly.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Fists exploding heads makes me think an arcade mode with expanded hitboxes and more limb removal would be hilariously over the top. Have more condensed spawns and faster respawns and it would be funny as hell.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Didn't fists and blunt weapons already explode heads? Does that mean that they're finally displayed in the killfeed properly?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Running around backwards at lightspeed is officially the best thing.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Robot Randy posted:

Running around backwards at lightspeed is officially the best thing.

Expect them to patch that out and still not fix veteran helmets or the trebuchet 3 slash 4 announcements.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

dog nougat posted:

Expect them to patch that out and still not fix veteran helmets or the trebuchet 3 slash 4 announcements.

Didn't they already fix those? I distinctly remember having my vet helmets, and seeing the trebuchet name fix in the latest patch notes.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Elth posted:

Didn't they already fix those? I distinctly remember having my vet helmets, and seeing the trebuchet name fix in the latest patch notes.

The helmets are fixed as far as I know, but despite the latest patch notes I still see treb 3 display as treb 4 in the log when destroyed.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Elth posted:

They broke again.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
This game is buggy, often laggy, bringing up the menu cuts my framerate in half, most weapons are useless, and the inclusion of archers is one of the most mind-bogglingly awful examples of game design I have ever seen. It is also amazingly fun and, when everything works right, is probably the best freeform swordfighting game ever made (your tastes may vary in regards to Jedi Academy et. al. - personally, I like the more "realistic" (lol) lack of bunnyhopping).

It is also the only "twitch" type of game I've ever become actually good at. Reading over the complaints from the last few pages, it seems that some of you might just need to get better at the game, no offense intended.

First, vanguards are in no way overpowered. Sure, new and bad players flock to it in FFA and similar modes because LMB spam + long range is the easiest way to deal with the chaos those modes generate, but the fact that they can often get free 2+ kills by just charging in swinging is offset by the fact that they also die instantly (and more importantly, randomly) from the other idiots doing to same thing. A knight or teleporter staying away from the densest part of the fight is more than able to end up with far more kills and far less deaths by leveraging their superior 1v1 power than a windmilling vanguard.

And by superior 1v1 power, I mean vastly superior. Speaking as someone who plays primarily knights, if you are not able to effortlessly carve up >99% of vanguards you meet 1v1, then its time to pick up your Norse sword and get practicing. Practice your footwork, your parries (vanguard 2h weapons are amazingly easy to parry), your footwork, and if you have extra time your footwork. In fact vanguards are so mediocre 1v1 that they're the only class that you have an above-nil chance of taking on 1v2.

Second, feints. Yes, they are very powerful and correct application of them is key to winning fights. What most people don't realize about feints, however, is that if you're frequently falling victim to feints, then you've actually already lost a much more fundamental battle: the distance battle.

Distance. Distance and the control thereof is the most important aspect of this game. If you want a one-word way to get better at the game, its "distance". Don't bother with feint-parries, lookdown overhead, mouse dragging, or any other gimmicks. Instead, pay attention to the range at which people successfully use feint against you, and you'll find that it all happens at extreme close range (unless you're terrible, sorry). I could write paragraphs upon paragraphs about the interplay between distance, weapon range, weapon speed, feint timing, backpedalling speed versus run speed, etc. But, basically if you feint-attack from long distance you'll get counterattacked, so the only way to reliably do it is from short range (unless you're terrible, sorry again). That means you can only really be feinted if your opponent's footwork was better than yours.

As to the pace of the game and the changes brought about by patches, I can't say I've been playing since early enough in the game's timeline to really comment on that. I can say though that if you want a fast-paced game, go knight, switch to your secondary (I recommend Norse sword), and don't use your shield (its a worse than useless crutch against all but archers, maybe the better teleporters). That playstyle requires excellent reflexes and situational awareness, and above all its fast. Nothing is more thrilling than a norse-vs-norse duel between two good knights.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Bump for free weekend and 66% off sale. It's still pretty fun.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/219640/

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

For those of you coming into the thread looking for RAD TIPS or because it's the free weekend, the biggest advice I can give is to not take this game seriously. Play to win, of course, but just have fun with it rather than stressing about teammates and bugs. It's buggy as hell but it compensates by being so over-the-top and (in some ways) unique that you'll still have a blast if you just focus on what makes it good.

Which is difficult to do when people are swinging through your blocks, but whatever. Try.

VVVVV
E. If we're doing legit tips, I'd also add that it's better to outrange an attack than to block it. If you just keep blocking attacks then they can wail on you repeatedly until you mess up, then you're done. Instead, move back to get out of the range of the swing, and while he's still on the winddown get in his face and attack. Think of it less as boxing and more like fencing; get close then back away.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 24, 2013

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
There are a few things that may give you an advantage but not all servers allow them.

The biggest is there's a fourth third person camera that you can activate in the console (and have to re-activate each time you go to a new map): devbehindview 1. It is an actual third person view instead of an over the shoulder thing. Combining that with FOV 120 makes it much easier to see what is coming.

Other things are just scream and do more than left click. Also use the alternate swings when appropriate. They are very useful.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So picked this up tonight. Played about 4 hours and have to say I really enjoy it. Theres some things here and there that frustrate me but I'm not sure if its the game or my lack of skills. Definetly looking for some people to run around mashing c with.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/znorps

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

People spend half the game crying in chat about team kills its hilarious. :qq:

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I don't think I've played a game as frustratingly broken as this. Joining servers is such a massive chore - the server list rarely populates, and I'm unable to join 9 out of 10 servers for no reason at all - but the game itself is so much fun. I like playing it, but hate everything else about it? :shrug: I hope it's a problem with the free weekend - if it is, that's the only way I'll shell out money to buy the game.

edit: As an addendum: I spent a couple of hours playing with friends and hollllyy crap this game is sooo much funnn. God, so much fun. Now if only the server browser would work for me.

Qwo fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 24, 2013

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Qwo posted:

I don't think I've played a game as frustratingly broken as this. Joining servers is such a massive chore - the server list rarely populates, and I'm unable to join 9 out of 10 servers for no reason at all - but the game itself is so much fun. I like playing it, but hate everything else about it? :shrug: I hope it's a problem with the free weekend - if it is, that's the only way I'll shell out money to buy the game.

edit: As an addendum: I spent a couple of hours playing with friends and hollllyy crap this game is sooo much funnn. God, so much fun. Now if only the server browser would work for me.

Here's a semi-official server browser that launches from desktop instead of in game. I used it when a patch broke the in game one and it works pretty well. http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=10664

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

RBX posted:

Yeah, its pretty funny. How can you not expect team kills? Its a game where your swing travels through anyone in a wide arc, and passes through as many bodies as there are in front of it. This makes the game awesome as I have skewered 3 people at once on my spear before, and ahve chopped 3 heads off are once with a charging swing of my zweihander. It's impossible to avoid tking completely, and I only bother apologising if it was a real mistake, not some MAA who dodges into my overhead and gets annhilated.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, picked this up and am loving shooting other Archers with Crossbows (and slow-moving Knights in the face when they try and "rush" me). Also a big fan of spears! Earlier in the thread everyone seemed to be saying they were garbage, but the extra range over the Halberd was really noticable and lets me poke Knights and Men at Arms to death a lot. The big swing sort of sucks though, because it is super loving slow. Nothing feels better than running in screaming and doing a leap attack into some ~*1337 Sn1pah*~ guy trying to pick off people while paying no attention to his surroundings.

Also fun is running around with a saber, rushing straight at a Vanguard, then turning to the side right as he starts to leap and just running past him swinging wildly. You can catch people really far off to the sides with swings with short swords while doing "drive-by" stabbings. Plus just parrying away and trying to get people to TK each other to get to you by sidestepping, then killing the last guy standing is hilarious.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, its pretty funny. How can you not expect team kills?

Because fighting someone and having a level 4 teammate who is behind you repeatedly stab you in the back of the head before running off to die uselessly is incredibly annoying. I usually call people out on really bad TKs and if they ignore me I just kill them to get their attention.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

RBX posted:

Saying something like this is still the number one loving way to get a flame war going in a server. Insulting one person in particular for whining about teamkills is pretty much a guarantee to get him pissed off and spewing stupid crap for the rest of the map, but making more general statements like the above will occasionally set the entire server arguing. It's just magical to complete a difficult objective like Darkforest's Kill The Royal Family while people are bitching about teamkilling and whether or not it is inseparable from the game at large.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

I had to pick this up after having a great Last Man Standing round whereas I was the last one alive on my team ran out into the open with the last knight on the enemy team. We trade taunts then brought out the fisticuffs to settle the victor. Some people truly have a man's honor in videogames. He fought well, I shall name a daughter after him.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Jymmybob posted:

Here's a semi-official server browser that launches from desktop instead of in game. I used it when a patch broke the in game one and it works pretty well. http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=10664

I bought this this weekend and this is not working at all. 100% of my attempts to join a game result in 'Please wait while the game loads' or a ?INT?Error.Whatever? type message. Any workarounds at all or should I just pester steam for a refund? The game is entirely unplayable for me.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Great Beer posted:

I bought this this weekend and this is not working at all. 100% of my attempts to join a game result in 'Please wait while the game loads' or a ?INT?Error.Whatever? type message. Any workarounds at all or should I just pester steam for a refund? The game is entirely unplayable for me.
There are no workarounds.

At least none of them worked for me.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I picked it this during the weekend sale since I enjoyed it so much and it was 8 euros. I've managed to get good enough to finish as the MVP 90% of the time. I used to play all the classes, but now I'm mostly sticking to Vanguard. My high skill strategy for winning is the following:

1. Pick the Claymore
2. Forget the other weapons, you won't need them
3. Sprint towards enemy(s)
3. Move to their right side so that you'll pass them and use the alternative horizontal strike to initiate the fight. People rarely manage to block it right because it comes from an awkward angle to them. So far the only thing that counters it reliably is a long range stab.
4. Proceed to spam alternative strike. Also, every time you begin the attack, turn your character so that the enemy soldier is on the side your attack launches from. The attack comes out much faster this way.
5. Mix up your poo poo with stabs, overheads and feints when needed. Try to be aggressive rather than defensive. Your attacks are hard to punish.
6. If you're up against multiple enemies, don't fret! Just try to avoid getting surrounded, spam that horizontal strike and try to keep them at the very edge of the claymore's range. They will all just try to stab you and will get interrupted. Or they'll just kill each other.
7. If you feel like being extra pro, duck whenever someone uses a horizontal strike or a stab that you can't block, it might miss if you do. It becomes a reflex pretty quickly.
8. Finish as MVP
9. Say "easy"

The things that get me the most (in the order of threat) are my own teammates, archers, feints, men-at-arms with short weapons and really long weapons. I should probably try to get better at seeing through feints, but there really isn't much time to react.

That sideways passing horizontal strike thing is really cool to pull off. Sometimes you'll just outright decapitate the guy and you don't even have to look at him. You just hear the sound and see your name on the scoreboard.

Mechanical mandible
Aug 4, 2007

Shorter version of that: Pick archer, muller everybody with the cudgel then proceed to act smug.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Minorkos posted:

I picked it this during the weekend sale since I enjoyed it so much and it was 8 euros. I've managed to get good enough to finish as the MVP 90% of the time. I used to play all the classes, but now I'm mostly sticking to Vanguard. My high skill strategy for winning is the following:

1. Pick the Claymore
2. Forget the other weapons, you won't need them
3. Sprint towards enemy(s)
3. Move to their right side so that you'll pass them and use the alternative horizontal strike to initiate the fight. People rarely manage to block it right because it comes from an awkward angle to them. So far the only thing that counters it reliably is a long range stab.
4. Proceed to spam alternative strike. Also, every time you begin the attack, turn your character so that the enemy soldier is on the side your attack launches from. The attack comes out much faster this way.
5. Mix up your poo poo with stabs, overheads and feints when needed. Try to be aggressive rather than defensive. Your attacks are hard to punish.
6. If you're up against multiple enemies, don't fret! Just try to avoid getting surrounded,
spam that horizontal strike and try to keep them at the very edge of the claymore's range. They will all just try to stab you and will get interrupted. Or they'll just kill each other.
7. If you feel like being extra pro, duck whenever someone uses a horizontal strike or a stab that you can't block, it might miss if you do. It becomes a reflex pretty quickly.
8. Finish as MVP
9. Say "easy"

I trimmed the guide down a bit, should still have the same results :v:.

I've been using the HWS a lot recently, and it destroys. It's extremely quick, about as long as the flanged mace, and still 3 shots knights despite the reduction in damage. I can't ever seem to parry properly with it though.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hello? Anyone in there?

^ The Claymore is nearly identical to the Longsword / Sword of War, so he'd do even better if he went Knight to be honest.

RBX posted:

It's weird, nearly every server I go into has people just go "Sorry for that TK", "NP". The only rage I've seen tends to involve archers. :v:

Great Beer posted:

Are you trying to join a server through your steam friendslist? That only works when the game isn't already running for some reason, so try exiting the game first.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Robot Randy posted:

I've been using the HWS a lot recently, and it destroys. It's extremely quick, about as long as the flanged mace, and still 3 shots knights despite the reduction in damage. I can't ever seem to parry properly with it though.

I never had much luck with it, but I should try it again. I found that going into fights already in progress, you won't be able to 1 shot injured people in the back of the head as often (which was my biggest issue with it).

Also, cross post from the griefing thread I guess:

I was playing Last Team Standing and apparently one guy in particular did not take kindly to the fact that I was wiping the floor with his entire team. I don't know if this counts as griefing, since I literally just played well, but I was almost crying with laughter as he just stood still and typed for a couple minutes straight while I continued to play normally. A couple other people chimed in and laughed at him, but I was giggling at how many people wanted to kick me.

I rushed to start fraps and take screenshots. I'm sorry for the lovely screenshots but just read through the logs and chat, this is approximately chronological order. I think I missed some of the chat because the map changed :(

My end-game score was 30-2, I was 30-1 until I tried to punch a guy with a spear to death out of boredom.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Exodee posted:

^ The Claymore is nearly identical to the Longsword / Sword of War, so he'd do even better if he went Knight to be honest.

I haven't played that much Knight to be honest, but whenever I do, I just feel too slow. A large part of how I play Vanguard is using my movespeed to kite, lunge and escape, and a knight just can't do that as well. I just like the kind of berserking the Vanguard can do. Once you get into a good groove, you can just swing your weapon around like a maniac while also running around super fast. Enemies will find it very hard to block and attack since your poo poo is so hard to read. I had a guy say I was speedhacking once.

A ton of people are just used to the whole "I attack and you block, now you attack and I block" that they just don't know how to deal with someone just recklessly swinging away. It's especially hard to block your attacks when you're constantly turning around, thus changing the correct time for them to block.

Anyway, does the charge attack feel pretty useless to anyone else? Here are the only situations I use it in:

1. Taking out an archer who hasn't fired his shot yet. You can't be interrupted and you become harder to hit while in the animation.
2. Taking out groups of enemies who haven't noticed me yet.

Using it in any other situation kinda sucks because it's easy to block and it leaves you way open if you miss. So I just use horizontal strike or stab instead. Much more reliable and harder to punish.

edit: vvv Also, I remember this one time in FFA when I was dueling a knight, and I heard the distinctive charge attack war cry from behind me. I immediately turned 180 degrees and blocked, and it turns out there was indeed a vanguard attacking me. I blocked his poo poo and then promptly died to the knight I was fighting. Even if you catch someone off-guard, it still sucks.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 28, 2013

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hello? Anyone in there?

Vanguards aren't all that much faster than Knights, especially when the chasing mechanic comes into play. (if you have an enemy in your sights and he's close enough, you'll get a fairly noticeable speed buff) Although I suppose the slight edge in mobility and might come in handy if you're mostly hitting and running (and thus not facing your opponent as much).

And yeah, the charge attack is nearly always suicide unless you managed to catch an enemy off-guard. And even then it's usually better just to two-hit-kill them.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Exodee posted:

And yeah, the charge attack is always awesome with fists

fixed that for ye.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Exodee posted:

Vanguards aren't all that much faster than Knights, especially when the chasing mechanic comes into play. (if you have an enemy in your sights and he's close enough, you'll get a fairly noticeable speed buff) Although I suppose the slight edge in mobility and might come in handy if you're mostly hitting and running (and thus not facing your opponent as much).

In my experience (take it with a grain of salt, I'm not a good player), vanguards have noticeably better footwork than knights (because they're more agile), and footwork is a very large component of combat.

Slappy Moose posted:

Also, cross post from the griefing thread I guess:

Given his username is "chronic butthurt" maybe it was a gimmick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Somehow I manage to get a lot of kills with the Vanguard's second axe offhand, nobody expects a van to swing that fast since most people just use the main weapon, so it tends to interrupt and stunlock them.

Knight seems slightly underpowered to me, the shield needs to be harder to hit past. I haven't really played with 2h much lately though.

Archer is really, really fun when you finally become good at it.

• Locked thread