Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Picture it!

What are "card battle anime?"
What it says in the title, anime about battles between two (or more) people playing a card game. The anime are firmly tongue-in-cheek, while at the same time taking themselves deadly serious. The fate of the very world depends on the main character being better at card games than the bad guy!

What are a few examples of anime covered in the thread?

Yu-Gi-Oh!

Your Move!

Overview: Probably the most well-known of the card game "franchises," and the one that arguably started it all, Yu-Gi-Oh! is the story of a young boy, Yugi, who completes a puzzle and summons the Ancient Egyptian Spirit housed within.

Trivia: Yu-Gi-Oh! didn't start out as a card battle manga, but when the author of the manga introduced the game, it became so popular that it eventually overtook the original plan, and the rest is history.

The Card Game: Not even the characters know the rules. I play it and I have no idea.

Watch Online: See the dub of the original series at Hulu. Hulu also has the first three seasons of GX, the entirety of most of 5Ds, and ZEXAL. ZEXAL, and reruns of the original show, can be found on the CW's saturday morning Vortexx block in America.

I'm a fan of the original, GX, and 5Ds, not so much ZEXAL.

Duel Masters

Who's the kid with the spiky hair?

Overview: Shori Kirifuda is a master of Kaijudo, a card game craze that is taking the world by storm! One day, he vanishes, and his son Shobu sets out in his purple shirt (It's the color of royalty!!) to master Kaijudo to one day reunite with his father. An affectionate parody of the more serious Yu-Gi-Oh!

Trivia: While the original had its humor, the dub of Duel Masters was a gag dub written by the writers, taking the Samurai Pizza Cats approach to the dub. There are a lot more jokes in the dub, and they even released a US-based season that does not follow the manga the anime is based on.

Watch Online: Does not appear to be a legal way to watch the show, which is a shame. There is a sequel series, Kaijudo: Rise of the Duel Masters, airing on The Hub. I have not seen that so I have no recommendation on that.

Cardfight! Vanguard

Stand up, my avatar!

Overview: In a world overrun by card games, one card game stands out above the rest: Vanguard! The story follows a young boy, Aichi Sendou, as he learns the ins and outs of the card game. The JAM Project theme song sets the tone for this cheerful foray into the world of card games.

Trivia: The first two seasons, Cardfight! Vanguard and Cardfight! Vanguard Asia Circuit, have themes by JAM Project. I don't know much about the show, so any other trivia would be welcome.

Watch Online: Crunchcyroll has the entirety of both Season 1 and Season 2, and is simulcasting Season 3, Saturdays at 9:30 PM EDT.

There are other card battle anime, but those three have derivatives airing right now. Do not feel required to talk about those three franchises; they're just the three I associate with this genre, for better or worse.

Now go and teach people about the Sengoku Era with your cards!

Senerio fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

musouka
Apr 24, 2009
I recently got done rewatching YGO: Duel Monsters (aka, the original) with a friend. The first half holds up as a pretty solid shounen series with a likable main cast (three of which are the only ones that ever get to do anything, but, well, shounen anime) and then the second half is a painful slow-motion trainwreck of horribly-paced filler and a barely-going-through-the-motions adaptation of the last manga arc. It manages to briefly pull itself up for a decent four episode finale, but that's about all the latter portion has going for it.

GX sort of had the opposite problem, as it took more than a hundred episodes to do something interesting in a way that DIDN'T break your brain.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The title for this thread should read: "Somehow I have been injured by playing a children's card game!" :v:

If you haven't checked it out yet, look for "Yu Gi Oh Abridged", a series of parodic dub-overs by a guy named LittleKuriboh. It's hilarious!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Funny thing: Kaijudo started with a manga which originally was going to just be Magic based. Wizards of the Coast offered to just make a new game for them and so Duel Masters was born. For some reason the game has an English title in Japan and a Japanese title in the US.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All I remember from Duel Masters is that it was pretty funny and basically Abridged before Abridged was a thing. I should watch it again.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
I unironically enjoyed the DK and Battle City arcs of the original YGO and the Fortune Cup and Dark Signer arcs of 5D's. With GX it was the opposite, though I didn't like as much. They really wouldn't put Judai out of the spotlight at all. Zexal I gave up after twenty episodes. It just didn't have the charming cheesiness and a dumb (even by shonen standards) protagonist.

Another fun fact about YGO (that everybody knows but it's worth mentioning anyway) is that it had an entirely separate series created by Toei that animates the first few volumes of the manga (aka when the story was about different games other than cards) and has some nightmarish poor animation. Often incorrectly referred to as Season 0 even though NAS had no involvement in the project.

DrSunshine posted:

If you haven't checked it out yet, look for "Yu Gi Oh Abridged", a series of parodic dub-overs by a guy named LittleKuriboh. It's hilarious!

Eh, I think TAS was great for a while but after season 1 it got weak and started relying more on pop culture jokes than actually making fun of the series. Then again I haven't actually watched it since 2008 so it may have improved.

musouka posted:

GX sort of had the opposite problem, as it took more than a hundred episodes to do something interesting in a way that DIDN'T break your brain.

Have you checked out the GX manga? I haven't read past the first volume but I heard from friends that it's way better than the anime.

Also has Vanguard gotten any better? I stopped watching it about 30 episodes in because the tournament arcs bored me to death.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
There's a really cool plot around episode 40-51, where Kai royally screws up and this is the result (spoilers, obviously).

"No, Sendou Aichi, you have only gotten weaker."

Besides that, yeah, it's mostly tournaments. It's a card battle anime devoted to pushing merch.

It's not a great show, but it'll scratch that card game itch better than ZEXAL.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
From what I heard, the first season of Yugioh where they summon 3000 atk monsters for free is far more fair than what the actual game does nowadays. It's pretty crazy.

musouka
Apr 24, 2009

planetarial posted:

Eh, I think TAS was great for a while but after season 1 it got weak and started relying more on pop culture jokes than actually making fun of the series. Then again I haven't actually watched it since 2008 so it may have improved.

The problem is that after Duelist Kingdom, the show started making more sense, and there was less to pick on aside from "lol card games" which, while funny, can't really sustain a joke indefinitely. That's why it gradually shifted into more sitcom-ish humor, which is hit-or-miss because not all the new personalities LK gave the characters are particularly funny. (See: Tea)

On the other hand, Kaiba is always hilarious in TAS because there's been no change in his personality.

quote:

Have you checked out the GX manga? I haven't read past the first volume but I heard from friends that it's way better than the anime.

I've read most of the GX manga, and, to be honest, it's only really "compelling" as a contrast to the show. Without the original anime to serve as a comparison, it's just a very standard shounen manga with a super-duper fanfic premise. (The main villain is ANOTHER SURVIVOR OF KUL ELNA!11!!. It's like I'm really reading fanfic by a seven year old boy!)

When I say it's interesting in contrast, it's mainly because, in the GX manga, the characters are actually good people, as opposed to the collection of creeps they are in the anime. (Minus Manjoume, who is a great person in both versions.) So it's interesting just by virtue of seeing a Judai without his weird sociopathic tendencies and a Shou who is a standard sidekick character instead of the limpet attached to Judai because then he can take partial credit for his actions through proximity.

To be fair, I liked most of the decks better in the manga, for what it's worth.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The opening for the dub of 5Ds really gets stuck in your head. Also, I was under the impression that the last season of 5Ds was never dubbed in English. Which might be just as well, as the first half of the series was much stronger than the latter half. (Seriously, Aki was all set up to be the third main duelist and then Crow comes along :argh:)

I actually really liked the last arc of the original Yu-Gi-Oh!, when they were in past-Egypt. Something about Kaiba getting lots of character development. :unsmith: Duelist Kingdom and Battle City were still the best though.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I stopped watching the 5Ds dub after Crow appeared, so it may not. I didn't really look at the pages beyond the GX dub which I knew was incomplete. I'll update the OP.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I really like 5D's "serious" theme, even if it does get out of hand and kind of silly with the whole signer thing, though I haven't finished it yet.
GX just seemed kind of dumb with there being an entire school based on playing a children card game, so I didn't watch a lot of it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh yeah, gently caress Crow. Worst character in the show. At least it still had Jack Atlas after he showed up. :kamina:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I will openly admit to loving the Doma Saga in the original Yugioh series if only for the fact that Pharaoh Yugi actually gets his rear end legit handed to him in a duel and spends half the arc flipping out on people completely against character due to losing Yugi's soul. Of course, the best part is when he freaks out on the train against Insector Haga birthing the DRAW MONSUTAA KAADO! meme in the process.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Some day they will make a Magic the Gathering anime and I sincerely hope they don't use the manga version of the Planeswalkers's character designs ugh

==MANGA==>

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They'd make the goblins all anime too, wouldn't they. :(

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Oh the plus side Jace is already a colossal anime so their job is already done with him.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
A Magic the Gathering anime/manga should just be competitive story arcs loosely based on real tournament events. The best arc would be a tie between "Black Summer" with every match featuring Necropotence decks and/or Stasis decks, or the story of ProsBloom dominating the scene and allegations of Mike Long being a cheater.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
YGO dub I saw first in my formative years and the voices stuck with me, but the subtitled version comes off as darker and more "serious" so I kinda sorta prefer it over the dub but on a razor edge basis, Dan Green will always be Yugi to me.

Same thing with GX where the dub was just so hilarious that I stuck with it when I could, but also somewhat preferred the sub for when I need something more straight up. Point is I watch them both subbed and dubbed whenever I feel like it for perspective.

Never got into 5D's or Zaxxel as I was rather attached to the original cast and had other stuff to watch.

I would love the hell out of a straight up Magic The Gathering anime, though I would might prefer to see a "mix" of Planeswalker story versus real life tournament arcs. Maybe a thing where our protagonist is a struggling player who gets pulled across dimensions into the actual multiverse where all of that Planeswalker stuff happens and his character growth there is reflected in his skill power and deck whenever he visits back to the real world.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

I would love the hell out of a straight up Magic The Gathering anime, though I would might prefer to see a "mix" of Planeswalker story versus real life tournament arcs. Maybe a thing where our protagonist is a struggling player who gets pulled across dimensions into the actual multiverse where all of that Planeswalker stuff happens and his character growth there is reflected in his skill power and deck whenever he visits back to the real world.

Please no, no no no no no

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Tom Chanpheng gets sucked into the universe of Magic: The Gathering. Armed with only his 1996 World Championship Deck, he must face challenging foes one after another, while still beating himself up over the fact that his deck still does not have Adakar Wastes, making his Sleight of Hands still useless.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Zorak posted:

What is it about the MTG setting that at its core allows it to differentiate itself meaningfully from other High Fantasy works?

Likewise what is there to the idea of adapting in some form or another the maybe real life interpretation of the card game got to hold itself up by, to distinguish itself from the other pre-existing card game anime?

I am not sure what is it about either possibility that would make adapting MTG "work" in such a way that if you were to make it about any other card game make it "not" work. To clarify, I feel that if the above two work just as well if it were about any other card game than that undercuts the idea that there's something to be gained by making an adaption of MTG.

I mean sure, either is probably entertaining and cool but will it have a shelf life?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

What is it about the MTG setting that at its core allows it to differentiate itself meaningfully from other High Fantasy works?

Similar to how Star Wars is a fantasy story in the trappings of a science fiction setting, Magic: the Gathering is a science fiction story in the trappings of a fantasy setting. So it's completely divergent from "high fantasy" settings. Each block is typically a new setting in and of itself: a unique "plane" of existence that Planeswalkers (the players, as well as some primary characters in the MTG story) end up getting messed up in the happenings of. So they run the gamut of all possible variations they can approach fantasy settings from, and do it through Magic's "magic is science, sort of" lens.

In fact, there's not that many settings we've been to of late that are even vaguely high fantasy. Recently we've gone to:
1) A city world ruled by Eastern-European themed guilds divided along the mana groupings, which is both full of lots of technology and magic-science simultaneously. The guilds include: a Sphinx-ruled group of magical legislators and prosecutors, a communistic group of nature-worshippers that function as naturalists and holy order, a bunch of recyclers and bugs who make up the underclass and also the undead, what would happen if Satan led the Insane Clown Posse, a super-brilliant dragon running an order of research scientists who handle the technology of the city and blow much of it up, a bunch of naturalists who decided that the best way for nature in a world that's entirely a city to survive is if they give them a helping hand so now we've got fuckin Shark Crabs and block-sized oozes, a bunch of dudes who decided they hate the city so much and now are punching building in half (helps that they're lead by a Cyclops giant who is pissed), an angel-led cop militia who are busy arresting EVERYBODY, the ghost mafia/bankers who have built an entire religion around greed and debt, and of course a clandestine group of spies and assassins that get along mostly by pulling things out of people's minds. poo poo goes down from their interactions.
2) A horror world where the dead is constantly rising in zombie hordes, the dead that aren't coming back as zombies are coming back as ghosts, vampires are tearing the poo poo out of people, and werewolves are also getting in on that poo poo. Oh, also demons. Of course demons. Mad science and horror tropes galore, it's more of a 1500s-horror-in-Europe type feel, humanity barely holding on through the power of religious faith, a faith that is weakening since their object of worship, an ultimately powerful angel, recently disappeaered
3) An artificial world mostly made of metal which had the misfortune to become infected with Phyrexia, the old bad guys of the Magic setting which is basically killing everything and turning them into the zombie-horror-borg. Spoilers: the good guys lose BAD
4) An adventure world of mysteries and treasures ala-Indiana Jones and D&D dungeons, but where the world is itself constantly in flux and kills people. Oh, turns out horrible Lovecraftian beasts that consume planes were sealed in it, and some morons managed to set them loose. Oops.

So very little of it is "high fantasy" beyond there being 1. wizards, 2. elves, and 3. magic. I don't think the game has been in a very overtly high-fantasy setting for years now, and even then the games have always featured a LOT of golems/robots shooting lasers.

e:
here for example is a recent ELF WIZARD who uses MAGIC

science rules

Zorak fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 22, 2013

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Sigh. Ravnica. I regret quitting while that block was new. :allears:

I am always amused that the ridiculous luck involved in card game animes doesn't make the characters freak out (more) about cheating/deck stacking. (Even though I know the behindthescenes answer is because the writers need to show off deck/card abilities to keep it interesting). And yet somehow, every duel seems to move slow as hell even despite everyone having ridiculously good hands.

I'm kinda interested in watching some of the newer Yugioh seasons. My old roommate used to watch GX or something on his computer, but I don't really remember. Is it worth starting from the beginning episodes or are there any episodes in the middle someone could recommend?

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

booksnake posted:

I'm kinda interested in watching some of the newer Yugioh seasons. My old roommate used to watch GX or something on his computer, but I don't really remember. Is it worth starting from the beginning episodes or are there any episodes in the middle someone could recommend?

Personally I recommend jumping into 5D's. GX starts out really boring and takes a while to get good. But I suppose if your really want to you can start with episode 105 (which is a recap of the stuff you've skipped) and work your way from there, but you might get lost on who's who and whatnot. Meanwhile 5D's starts out good and strong from the getgo, just make sure not to watch anything beyond episode 64. Don't worry about missing out on callbacks/references because the only significant one is Ushio who appeared in the original series anyway.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zorak posted:

I could not agree harder with this. The "real world regular person" getting pulled into a mystical world of magic and kingdoms is the absolute worst plot device.

How did Pokemon get into the card game business? I remember that being bigger then MtG for a few years early on.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

pentyne posted:

I could not agree harder with this. The "real world regular person" getting pulled into a mystical world of magic and kingdoms is the absolute worst plot device.

Despite all the lore and stuff, I am pretty sure that Magic would not work as an anime. For one thing, the point of the card battle anime is to sell merch, and all of the nerds who would watch it already play that game.

quote:

How did Pokemon get into the card game business? I remember that being bigger then MtG for a few years early on.

I liked the card game. The video game was good too. I like games with unique scoring systems like that and Vanguard.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

pentyne posted:

They paid Wizards to make the game for them until they decided to start doing it in house.

Senerio posted:

Despite all the lore and stuff, I am pretty sure that Magic would not work as an anime. For one thing, the point of the card battle anime is to sell merch, and all of the nerds who would watch it already play that game.

Stuff in a setting can push merch though. Gundam shows don't have to actually be about the models themselves in order to convince people to buy models of the robots :ssh:

musouka
Apr 24, 2009

booksnake posted:

GX gets good (imo) because it finally realizes it has a lead that's sort of a terrible person and decides to sincerely explore that. In order for that to work, you sort of have to sit through the hundred episodes of Judai being creepily gung-ho about duels where he or his friends could die miserable deaths, for context. I've tried to show people parts of the third season because they don't want to sit through the rest of it, and it's pretty much always fallen flat.

If you have a sense of humor, the first two seasons aren't that hard to watch. The show loves to poke fun at itself and the concept, with stuff like ancient mountain top dojos for card games and a guy that is part dinosaur because they used a fossil instead of a bone when he broke his leg.

But if that sounds less fun and more unwatchable, I'd just watch 5Ds.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

pentyne posted:

I remember the Pokemon TCG getting so big that the Pope back then had to tell Italy to chill the gently caress out and say the cards aren't the work of the devil.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

musouka posted:

GX gets good (imo) because it finally realizes it has a lead that's sort of a terrible person and decides to sincerely explore that. In order for that to work, you sort of have to sit through the hundred episodes of Judai being creepily gung-ho about duels where he or his friends could die miserable deaths, for context. I've tried to show people parts of the third season because they don't want to sit through the rest of it, and it's pretty much always fallen flat.

If you have a sense of humor, the first two seasons aren't that hard to watch. The show loves to poke fun at itself and the concept, with stuff like ancient mountain top dojos for card games and a guy that is part dinosaur because they used a fossil instead of a bone when he broke his leg.

But if that sounds less fun and more unwatchable, I'd just watch 5Ds.

I would say GX is definitely worth a watch because it is literally loving insane. They also run out of card game ideas at one point and have the majority of a season basically be Digimon.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

musouka posted:

a guy that is part dinosaur because they used a fossil instead of a bone when he broke his leg.

Say what? Magical children's card games are fine, but that's just silly.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Say what? Magical children's card games are fine, but that's just silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kSoivzl-GI it's about dumb as it sounds. At one point he literally turns into a dinosaur and gets off to space.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
High Fantasy might be the wrong word to use but I'll get to that in a minute, I (admittedly somewhat arbitrarily) define magic and thus fantasy simply as any system that is used by the characters to progress the plot that is not reasonably consistent with scientific theory as we know it and is lacking in "naturalism". I don't know if there's a better word to describe but I'll prop up some examples.

Isaac Asimov explained it pretty good in one of his Popular Science Anthologies where he felt the difference lies through a particularly nifty analogy he used:

quote:

The celestial speed limit, that of light, has been a particular annoyance to science-fiction writers because it has seriously limited the scope of their stories. The nearest star, Alpha Centauri, is 25 trillion miles away. At the speed of light, it would take 4.3 years to go from Earth to Alpha Centauri, and another 4.3 years to come back.

Special Relativity's speed limit means, there, that a minimum of 8.6 years must pass on Earth before anything can make a round trip to the nearest star. A minimum of 600 years must pass before anything can get to the Pole Star and back. A minimum of 150,000 years must pass before anything can get to the other end of the Galaxy and back. A minimum of 5 million years before anything can get to the Andromeda Galaxy and back.

Taking these minimum time lapses into account would make any science-fiction story involving interstellar travel extraordinarily complicated. Science-fiction writers who wished to avoid these complications would find themselves confined to the Solar system only. What can be done?

To begin with, science-fiction writers might ignore the whole thing and pretend there is no limit. That however, is not real science fiction. It is just fairy tales.

A much more common science fictional device is to imagine an object leaving our universe altogether. To see what this means, let's consider a simple analogy. Suppose that a person must struggle along on foot across very difficult country-mountainous and full of cliffs, declivities, torrential rivers, and so on. He might well argue that it was completely impossible to travel more than two miles a day. If he has so long concentrated on surface travel as to consider that the only form of progress conceivable, he might well come to imagine the speed limit of two miles a day to represent a natural law and an ultimate limit under all circumstances.

But what if he travels through the air--not necessarily in a powered device such as a jet plane or rocket--but in something as simple as a balloon? He can then easily cover two miles in an hour or less, regardless of how broken and difficult the ground beneath him is.In getting into a balloon, he moved outside our "universe" to which his fancied ultimate, speed limit applied. Or, speaking in dimensions, he derived a speed limit for two-dimensional travel along a surface, but it did not apply to travel in three dimensions by way of a balloon.

What I feel this means is, the difference between what is science-fiction and what is fantasy is predicated on whether the "natural" limits imposed by universal laws are being ignored with a handwave (magic; no matter how systemized while indistinguishable from science, is still not science) or taken into consideration with clever work-arounds that at least have a logical or philosophical basis if not strictly speaking a scientific one. Which is why I don't consider MTG to be overall a science-fiction story with the trappings of fantasy, though its individual settings could well be.

My mistake was using "High Fantasy" as a short hand because that even in High Fantasy settings like Forgotten Realms like to jump across genre lines and does have analogues to your examples (except maybe (1)). High Fantasy I would agree is likely misleading to apply to Magic the Gathering as a whole as it implies certain things that kinda don't apply but modern High Fantasy settings I guess have been starting to resemble Magic's setting more and more.

Thinking on it I would state what distinguishes Magic the gathering from other fantasy fiction is its scope. While Forgotten Realms and other High Fantasy settings have the Great Wheel Cosmology and so on the stories never really wring every advantage of it, they are like procedural generated instances that you visit one spot of and aren't "real" like the other set pieces that define the setting are. MTG I think goes to the greater effort to make the different planes seem real and set pieces in of themselves.

So if they made an anime, if they could get that across (and maybe need more than 50 episodes to do?) then I think making it a purely MTG background setting type adaption could work out.

quote:

The "real world regular person" getting pulled into a mystical world of magic and kingdoms is the absolute worst plot device.

Now and Then, Here and There; Erfworld, Persona, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Alice in Wonderland, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, Caroline, OSC's Enchantment, The Wizard of Oz, Spirited Away and to a lesser degree if we drop "real world regular person", Samurai Jack. I'm certain there are worse plot devices. I'm not particularly fond of the 'refusal of the call' riggamarol portion of the Hero's Journey myself.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Zorak posted:

I don't think the game has been in a very overtly high-fantasy setting for years now, and even then the games have always featured a LOT of golems/robots shooting lasers.

I ought to point out that the game has had mechs in an older set. The art here is from back in 2000.

musouka
Apr 24, 2009

Worldwide Panther posted:

I would say GX is definitely worth a watch because it is literally loving insane.

Case in point:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Last night, I found out that the official youtube channel for Cardfight Vanguard, linked here, has been releasing the dub. They're up to 89, which is the middle of the Asia Circuit.

I watched the first four episodes dubbed, and I like the voices so far. I'm going to skip to episode 41, the beginning of the PsyQUALIA Aichi arc to see if the voice actors grew into their roles.

If you were turned off by the tournament arc style of the series, watch episodes 41-50 because I really liked them.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I was hoping that this thread would be about the Precious Memories card game, where different expansions feature characters from different moe anime, including Squid Girl, K-On!, Yuru Yuri, Girls und Panzer, and many others.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

planetarial posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kSoivzl-GI it's about dumb as it sounds. At one point he literally turns into a dinosaur and gets off to space.

No! That's... that's not how anything works! Not even children's card games work like that! :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I agree that the second half of 5ds was filled with some terrible slice of life episodes. Some of them were cool though, there was one where Jack went off to rescue a cop from a gang, and when the gang, against all precedent, didn't give up when their leader lost a duel he beat them all up. Jack is a man's man.

Major 5ds spoilersAlso I thought Z-One was a cool villian, and the whole thing about Yusei doing the over-top accel synchro was 100% feel-good shounen cheese. And the Rua being the 6th signer thing was much better written then Crow getting a mark because he was kinda-involved (or something, I'm not sure. It was weird.).

• Locked thread