Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

A SPECIAL UNICORN posted:

This is what I meant :v:

When that fight went into Wyle E Coyote "Super Genius" mode it was brilliant way to show how loving ridiculous each ninja wizard was in terms of power. I shall not hear otherwise. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL
Alright, I concede a difference of opinion. I found it offputting, is all :shobon:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

This is what I meant :v:

What are inbetweens? I mean, you can take a single frame from just about anything actiony and it'll look awkward. I'd much rather have that than have 22 minutes of static mouthflaps and characters who are meant to be super fast kung fu practicioners, well beyond any human ability moving so slow that I could walk up and punch them in the face. I think that director was the same guy who did the Valley of The End, which is why the artstyle is similar, and that was one of the best fights in the anime. I think he also did One Piece movie 6 though that may have been a different dude and I'm misremembering.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Alright, I concede a difference of opinion. I found it offputting, is all :shobon:

It's not a difference of opinion. We're just explaining to you the difference between art style and animation.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
It still looks like poo poo in motion though. I love good animation and I understand the need for off model inbetweens to make things look more fluid and exciting but if you watch that episode you realize that almost nothing is on model. Fluidity of motion is only good if you also have the skills to actually draw, which it seemed like no one did when animating that episode.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Ryaomon posted:

It still looks like poo poo in motion though. I love good animation and I understand the need for off model inbetweens to make things look more fluid and exciting but if you watch that episode you realize that almost nothing is on model. Fluidity of motion is only good if you also have the skills to actually draw, which it seemed like no one did when animating that episode

Huh. Wow, okay that actually does look like garbage.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I always assumed it was intentionally ridiculous. A tribute to Looney Tunes, maybe?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Someone was playing Sonic CD before they decided to do that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I always assumed it was intentionally ridiculous. A tribute to Looney Tunes, maybe?

Why would an important, completely serious fight in an anime about fighting be intentionally ridiculous?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Why would an important, completely serious fight in an anime about fighting be intentionally ridiculous?

I don't know, but that's the only way I can interpret it. A lot of the scene strikes me as the sort of thing it would actually be easier to do "correctly". Pain's Road Runner propeller legs look pretty deliberate, for example.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I thought that fight, and especially the Naruto Sasuke one from the end of Pt 1, looked great.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
If you pull scenes like that out of context it does look pretty ridiculous. As a whole, though, the fight is impressive to watch from an animation standpoint. It's something like two hours long of just fluid animation and is often pulled far quite back, which makes it harder to add detail.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Thoren posted:

If you pull scenes like that out of context it does look pretty ridiculous. As a whole, though, the fight is impressive to watch from an animation standpoint. It's something like two hours long of just fluid animation and is often pulled far quite back, which makes it harder to add detail.

Could you please put those goalposts back where you found them after you're done?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Silver2195 posted:

I don't know, but that's the only way I can interpret it. A lot of the scene strikes me as the sort of thing it would actually be easier to do "correctly". Pain's Road Runner propeller legs look pretty deliberate, for example.

This is pretty much my take on it. For whatever reason, the animators decided to go the extra mile to do things Looney Tunes style. The end result looks silly as hell, but drat if it wasn't well-animated.

Anyways, this is the manga thread, so further discussion should probably go to the anime thread. I'm sure it could use the attention. :v:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 1, 2013

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Wrist Watch posted:

Could you please put those goalposts back where you found them after you're done?

I don't follow.

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

Thoren posted:

It's not a difference of opinion. We're just explaining to you the difference between art style and animation.

Fair enough, duly noted :)

I loved that Sasuke Naruto fight, but not this one. It was just too out of place to me.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I liked the animation style and felt it served as a good way to visually show the viewer that this was a clash of titans, but showing them move in an otherworldly and "unhuman" way. It would otherwise be hard to represent their "on another level"ness because of the nature of all the muscle wizards in naruto, so by changing their depiction like this it really works.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I got the impression the style of that episode was that way because Naruto has literally just lost his mind by giving in to a demon of hatred and that it reflected the fact he was in a berserker status.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hah, Mangahelpers changed the name of their Naruto board to "The Adventures of Hashirama's DNA" for April Fools. Bleach is Whitener

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The latest movie has been subbed from the Korean release.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hint: the art director for that sequence was a guy who the studios bring in occasionally to do auteur poo poo because all the animation staff love his rear end and it's much more fluid than the typical style.

See: the dream episode of Aquarion etc

If it's not the same guy, it's someone with a similar style brought on for the similar reasons.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://www.mangapanda.com/naruto/626

e: Flashbacks are over it seems

Kild fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 3, 2013

Caros
May 14, 2008

You.... Goddamnit I was just coming to post that! Why won't you let me be happy!?

Caeruleas
Mar 5, 2007
This too shall pass
Boy I sure do hope that Sasuke doesn't do anything irrational and silly.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I bet Minato will take up flashbacks as well since a big point of contention was Obito telling Sasuke that he didn't sick the 9 tails on Konoha

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
"I killed my friend, for the sake of the village... for the sake of the village... the village."

This town is a part of us all. A part of us all. A part of us all.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I really want to go out on a limb here and say that he did in fact kill him, and Tobirama created Edo Tensei just to bring him back to life.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Scyantific posted:

I really want to go out on a limb here and say that he did in fact kill him, and Tobirama created Edo Tensei just to bring him back to life.

He later aged and died, and edo tensei brought him back at his prime. So no. Also, why the heck would Tobirama of all people resurrect Madara?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Obviously, that was a blood clone.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Ryaomon posted:

It still looks like poo poo in motion though. I love good animation and I understand the need for off model inbetweens to make things look more fluid and exciting but if you watch that episode you realize that almost nothing is on model. Fluidity of motion is only good if you also have the skills to actually draw, which it seemed like no one did when animating that episode.

This looks like something made as a Flash animation, not an actual release. That is really loving ugly.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
But Fluid Animation! Yeah, I thought it was terrible too.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Not only was the animation poo poo piled on more poo poo, but it contradicted the actual plot of the fight

If Pain could take being crushed by a giant rock boulder, how the hell could a simple rasengan to the stomach take him down?

EDIT:

Prison Warden posted:

Sasuke probably needs to go to prison.

Seriously...

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 3, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

http://mangastream.com/read/naruto/32913786/1

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

seizure later posted:

This looks like something made as a Flash animation, not an actual release. That is really loving ugly.

It definitely doesn't fit the Naruto style at all, but it isn't badly animated or even drawn that poorly.

And Flash animation is based on tweening objects so everything typically looks super stiff, this looks nothing like that (although you might have seen Flash animations that are this fluid but that is more of a case of using Flash to compile and output rather than using the bulk of Flash's tools).

It "looks like poo poo" mostly because using weird putty faced animation during a serious fight in a shonen anime is a weird stylistic choice, but I would also agree with Prison Warden that it beats implied animation through moving a still shot or having a motion blur background or whatever tired cost saving techniques they usually use.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Art, Animation, Time

Pick 2.

Hint: For weekly shonen episodes time is always picked.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Huh, mangastream's translation is so much more coherent.

I liked this chapter, Hashirama basically answered the question from Madara in the last chapter: he would kill even his brother to preserve the village.

But this is a pretty dark turn for Hashirama, akin to Madara's turn even. I wonder if it's part of what lead to his early death.

Also interesting is how the other villages were formed on Konoha's model and that they had intended to be peaceful too. I wonder how things messed up and devolved into the next great ninja war between the villages.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 3, 2013

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

ChronoReverse posted:

Also interesting is how the other villages were formed on Konoha's model and that they had intended to be peaceful too. I wonder how things messed up and devolved into the next great ninja war between the villages.

Probably Tobirama's fault.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

WhiffleballDude posted:

lol yeah, it does seem a lot of things were his fault.

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008

WhiffleballDude posted:

Yeah, going forward, any distrust and strife between people, I'm going to assume is Tobirama's fault until proven otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

seizure later posted:

These were the worst (although all very deliberately silly) moments of an amazingly entertaining episode. Unfortunately most people can't look past the art in these scenes to appreciate the episode as a whole.

I think part of why they went with the silly art in the top one in particular is because Pain's dialogue at the time is loving terrible. It's the "My pain is greater than yours!" moment, which is a total 5 year old kid line. Doesn't surprise me someone wanted to take the piss out of it a bit.

• Locked thread