Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
So a cheaper Show and Tell? I want to see the card that gives me more libraries.

quote:

Instant - Arcane (blue)
each player may put up to X cards from hand onto the battlefield, where X is the number of libraries you control

Converted mana cost: 2

Best green card ever. Card Draw, Removal, and mana refund!

quote:

Instant - Arcane (green)
draw a card and destroy target creature with flying and add one mana of any colour to your mana pool

Converted mana cost: 1

Sol Land

quote:

Land
T: add 3 to your mana pool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Enchantment (blue)
you may cast instant or sorcery spells as though they had flash
--Every whispered rock may minimise
For his tiger embiggens even the whispered sack
– Nemesis

Converted mana cost: 6

Kind of a real card!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
So whlle waiting for a build to unfuck itself I whipped up a quick ruby script that generates sets out of cards from this site and exports to Cockatrice--which I'm not posting right now because it'd make it straight into the Coding Horrors thread without a lot of refactoring. Unfortunately, apparently Cockatrice was taken down when I wasn't looking (I haven't actually paid any attention to magic for a long while thanks to Netrunner). How am I going to test this script? Is there even any point to releasing it? Are people still playing on unofficially hosted servers?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

http://play.woogerworks.com/

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I really want this to update with the newer mechanics and keywords so it can generate a card that morphs, flips, and transforms.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

What are even the rules of that? Like, if a card is flipped, transforms, and transforms back, does it stay flipped?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, as a proof of concept here's a 247-card "Core Set" with some randomly generated cards. I make no claims about mana curve, color distribution, or basic sanity (though considering the presence of a land that taps itself and another land for six mana, I'm not sure if a mana curve would be relevant). There are a shitload of bugs--from a cursory glance, there are creatures with no cost (treat em as 0 I guess), planeswalkers have no card type, and mana symbols/tap symbols not showing up. It's still "playable", or at least the reason it's not playable has nothing to do with the XML being poorly formatted.

Tomorrow, I will fix the bugs, implement some sort of balancing for color/curve, and maybe clean up this horror before releasing it.

To try it out, download the cards.xml and point Cockatrice at it. If you guys notice anything else please tell me.

FAKEDIT: so I apparently can't attach XML to a post. so: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48477477/cards.xml

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
A card I can't wait to get on the field:

quote:

Artifact Creature - Myr (1/3, artifact)
If you would gain life, instead each player gains that much life
your opponents may cast spells without paying their mana cost

Hey. Hey you. Gimme dem creatures.

quote:

Instant - Generated (red)
clash with an opponent. If you win, up to six target creatures get +3/+0 until end of turn and gain control of those creatures (This effect doesn't end)
Draw a card.
--Her name attacks greater than the hugest summer never
Whilst just one hose guesses better than the best rat never
– Nephikitty

Converted mana cost: 3

hito fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 27, 2013

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

hito posted:

A card I can't wait to get on the field:

quote:

Artifact Creature - Myr (1/3, artifact)
If you would gain life, instead each player gains that much life
your opponents may cast spells without paying their mana cost

This would be badass for Zedruu EDH.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
I tried making mockups of the cards in Shenafu's card creator (http://www.shenafu.com/magic/cc.php). Everything is as it was in the card generator, except for the color weight in the mana cost and the name (randomly created here) with images taken from Wikimedia. Turns out they're even more hilarious when translated to visual form.

Best devour creature?

Power creep? What power creep?

All-star in every deck.

Ignore that stupidly expensive first ability. The last one is why you want to play this. Also cheap tutoring. And permanent tapping. And library tapping. That could actually work - you can't draw from or search a tapped library? Too much flexibility on a one-drop, I'm glad they nerfed the token-generating side of it.

:psyduck:

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

Just put a few of my favorites turned into card form

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

RicochetD20 posted:

Just put a few of my favorites turned into card form

The next logical step is to make a cube.

Pangalin
Aug 11, 2007

Grown men are talking.

Tardigrade posted:

the name (randomly created here

This is fantastic, thanks.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Unflippable, and when you flip it it dies immediately. Perfect.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How many layers of recursion can this generator do? I love seeing a card with a threshold ability that gives another card an ability that gives all other creatures an activated ability, and so forth.

Edit: like this monstrosity:

quote:

Instant (blue)

Choose one: attach target Equipment to target nonmulticoloured creature. Gain control of that Equipment until end of turn; or two target lands gain ''Threshold - If you have seven or more cards in your graveyard, As long as any player controls a Swamp, All Birds can't be blocked except by Faeries'' until end of turn; or the next time you would draw a card this turn, you may pay WUBRG. If you don't, instead target Merfolk gains ''2: return up to one target nonbasic lands to their owner's hand'' until end of turn; or exchange control of target land you control and target permanent of the same type target opponent controls

Entwine X white mana, where X is the number of basic land types among lands an opponent controls

quote:

Creature - Human Soldier (3/1, white)

Threshold - If you have seven or more cards in your graveyard, Reinforce 3 - X white mana, where X is the number of poison counters you have

Whenever ~this~ blocks a creature, target opponent may Tap an untapped library he or she controls. If that player does, put a destiny counter on target permanent

GW: target creature with a destiny counter on it gains ''2WWWU: put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield'' and ''4WWWUBRG: put a 1/1 black Cleric creature token onto the battlefield'' and ''Sacrifice a Cleric: ~this~ deals 1 damage to target attacking or blocking creature for each card in your hand'' until end of turn

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 28, 2013

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Would a card similar to this be at all playable/useful? It was in a magic dream I had a few weeks ago and I suddenly remembered it for some reason* Maybe make it an instant? Or double shock instead?

*I am a nerd

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Laopooh posted:

Would a card similar to this be at all playable/useful? It was in a magic dream I had a few weeks ago and I suddenly remembered it for some reason* Maybe make it an instant? Or double shock instead?

*I am a nerd

That card effectively already exists. Your version is just worded differently and a bit less expensive.

e: I guess it combos differently with some other effects like Storm, but the principle is the same.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 28, 2013

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
With that templating, I'm pretty sure it does infinity damage. So, it's very different than just Arc Lightning for one less.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Laopooh posted:

*I am a nerd

It would have to be worded as "If you cast this from your hand, you may copy this spell twice and choose new targets for the copies" otherwise it's an instant win. That's also too complicated for an Arc Lightning effect, although they might want to use that to make it more complicated as an excuse to print the effect as a pushed RR rare.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
:catstare:

quote:

Enchantment - Aura (white and green)
Enchant enchantment
Whenever enchanted enchantment is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, put a money counter on ~this~
Pay 1 life, Discard a card, remove a money counter from ~this~: add U to your mana pool for each card type among permanents you control (The card types are artifact, creature, enchantment, instant, land, planeswalker, sorcery and tribal)
spells and activated abilities that aren't mana abilities cost your opponents up to 2 less to cast
4, Discard a card: put a warp counter on target artifact
Each artifact with a warp counter on it is white
G, Pay 3 life: add 2(G/W)(G/W) to your mana pool
Enchanted enchantment gains ''When ~this~ is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may pay W. If you don't, put a money counter on target permanent'' and ''Sacrifice a creature with evoke, Sacrifice ~this~: put a money counter on target land'' and ''Sacrifice a nonbasic land: put a money counter on target artifact'' and ''Discard a card, Pay 4 life: regenerate each enchantment with a money counter on it'' and ''W: each creature with a money counter on it is white (This effect doesn't end)'' and ''Each creature with a money counter on it gains Sacrifice ~this~, Tap an untapped Bird you control, T: add two mana of any one colour to your mana pool'' and ''Tap an untapped library you control, Discard a card: target creature with a money counter on it can't attack until end of turn'' and ''4G: put two charge counters on target permanent with a money counter on it'' and ''Pay 1 life: regenerate target permanent with a money counter on it'' and ''Each creature with a money counter on it gets +4/+4'' and ''Discard a card, Tap an untapped multicoloured enchantment you control: target permanent with a money counter on it is white until end of turn''
--A single wren made of dreams boasts greater than the whispered goose
– Odin, the false

Converted mana cost: 4
E: For when you're absolutely sure you need to destroy *all* creatures.

quote:

Itani Lekelleph
Planeswalker - Itani (black, Loyalty 4)
+1: target opponent gets 2 poison counters
-4: destroy all creatures
-6: destroy all creatures

Chaotic Neutral fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 28, 2013

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

quote:

Sorcery (green)
target opponent may search his or her library for a land card, reveal it, and put it into its owner's graveyard. If that player does, that player shuffles that library afterwards.
--Every wisest quicksand can wall off
Although his surprise interferes faster than the bravest lion
– Unattributed

Is there absolutely any situation in which this has any use at all? Redirect it onto yourself somehow if you've looked at the top of your deck and see garbage so you can shuffle?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

Is there absolutely any situation in which this has any use at all? Redirect it onto yourself somehow if you've looked at the top of your deck and see garbage so you can shuffle?

Nope. It can't be redirected, because you'll never be a legal target for "target opponent," and it doesn't even affect your opponent, because they can fail to find a land.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

quote:

Instant (white)
Choose one: regenerate all blue creatures; or put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token onto the battlefield

Converted mana cost: 7
What is the token supposed to do? Act as consolation price if you are somehow forced to play this with no blue creatures?

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Well, template nerds, in my dream I was battling a blue mage (I know) and it let me play around his counterspells. That's why I thought it would be boss ><;

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
In the off case anyone thinks it'd actually be funny to play with these cards on Cockatrice, here's the code I used to generate a cards.xml file. You'll need to have Ruby installed on your machine and know how to use it. If that's not you and you actually care, tell me and I'll throw up a lovely GUI on some free web host.

https://gist.github.com/Berlioz/5267024

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

I like to call this one "Sporting Chance."

quote:

Instant (white)
all black creatures get +3/+2 until end of turn

Hope you've got a basic land that can do a trick:

quote:

Tribal Land - Myr
~this~ enters the battlefield tapped.
Pay 3 life, T, sacrifice ~this~: each player may search his or her library for up to two basic land cards and put them into hand. Each player who searched his or her library this way shuffles it.
3G, T: add 2 to your mana pool. Spend this mana only on activated abilities from a basic land source.

Paying 6 life to deal 6 damage to every player, including yourself. An efficient method of suicide!

quote:

Artifact
T, Pay 2 life: ~this~ deals 6 damage to target creature
4, Pay 2 life: ~this~ gains ''Pay 4 life: ~this~ deals 6 damage to each player. If a creature damaged this way would be put into a graveyard this turn, exile it instead'' until end of turn
3BB: put a 1/2 Golem artifact creature token onto the battlefield
G, sacrifice four Golems: ~this~ gains protection from blue until end of turn

Ain't gonna lie, I love this mental image.

quote:

Creature - Kithkin Samurai (2/2, white)
bushido 7
~this~ can block an additional creature
-- When provoked, The greatest alarm can defeat
– Kuri, the elder

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

quote:

Land
~this~ enters the battlefield tapped.
T: add 1 to your mana pool. Spend this mana only on spells.
Colorless land that comes into play tapped is OP, nerf it.

quote:

Enchantment (green)
Whenever you cast a land spell, destroy target land

Ok, yeah, this is reason enough to nerf all lands.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Laopooh posted:

Well, template nerds, in my dream I was battling a blue mage (I know) and it let me play around his counterspells. That's why I thought it would be boss ><;

It doesn't actually do that, since the spell is copied when it resolves. You'd have to word it like storm.

quote:

~ deals one damage to target creature or player.
When you cast ~, put two copies of it onto the stack. You may choose new targets for the copies.

This has the added benefit of not doing infinity damage.

Asehujiko posted:

Good thing that there's no such thing as a "land spell"

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

It's literally useless because you don't cast lands, you play them.

e: goddamnit

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Dr. Stab posted:

Good thing that there's no such thing as a "land spell"

They should print this enchantment anyway, just to have a billion clueless Magic nerds tripping over their feet.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Speaking of enchantments,

quote:

Legendary Enchantment (red)
1R, Discard a card: ~this~ deals 4 damage to each of two target creatures or players

This is just tons of fun. Appropriate flavour text too.

quote:

Instant - Generated (red)
~this~ deals 1 damage to each of two target creatures or players. When a creature damaged this way is put into a graveyard from the battlefield this turn, return it to the battlefield under your control and ~this~ deals 4 damage to those creatures
--His scale kills even the mightiest linen and kills bigger than the hugest bomb
– Scuri Fligoorap, Night Cleric

Edit: Welp.

quote:

Ratiralonen Llasi
Planeswalker - Ratiralonen (red, Loyalty 6)
+1: destroy target artifact. It can't be regenerated.
-2: destroy target land
-7: all creatures with toughness 4 or more get +1/+0 until end of turn

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

quote:

Enchantment (blue)
Sacrifice ~this~, Sacrifice a land: return target Plains to its owner's hand
Pay 3 life, Tap an untapped land you control: attach target Aura to target attacking equipped creature with power 4. Gain control of that Aura (This effect doesn't end). When that creature is dealt damage this turn, flip ~this~.
- - - - -
Legendary Creature - Bird (3/7, blue)
Flying
All nonbasic lands are Forest lands in addition to their other types
Tap an untapped basic land you control: untap target nonbasic land and gain control of that permanent until end of turn
All untapped lands are Swamp lands in addition to their other types

I love how exactlingly specific but technically possible the flip requirements are.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

What does assembling a contraption even mean? It keeps showing up.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
http://magiccards.info/fut/en/121.html

The short answer is "nothing". The medium answer is "A Contraption is a kind of artifact. It's not currently defined what assembling one means, and it probably won't ever be."

The long answer is the medium answer, only in a bigger font.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

quote:

Fecen Lathitun
Planeswalker - Fecen (black, Loyalty 2)
+2: destroy all creatures
-4: two target Zombies are black until end of turn
-6: regenerate target Zombie

Finally, a way to make Zombies black!

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
What a choice!

quote:

Sorcery (black)
Choose one: you lose 1 life for each card type among permanents an opponent controls (The card types are artifact, creature, enchantment, instant, land, planeswalker, sorcery and tribal); or you sacrifice a library. target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn for each poison counter you have

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I found the You Make The Card result!

quote:

Enchantment (red)
R: any number of target multicoloured creatures get +3/-3 until end of turn
When ~this~ enters the battlefield, put a improbability counter on target creature
Each creature with a improbability counter on it gains ''2BRGR: put a 1/1 red Elemental creature token onto the battlefield'' and ''1RRR: put four 7/1 red Dragon creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield'' and ''1RRRR: put a 1/1 red Goblin creature token onto the battlefield'' and ''Sacrifice ~this~: put a 1/1 black Goblin creature token onto the battlefield'' and ''Sacrifice ~this~: put two 1/1 black Goblin creature tokens onto the battlefield'' and ''Sacrifice a creature, sacrifice any number of Goblins: that many artifacts gain protection from sorcery spells until end of turn'' and ''Sacrifice a Goblin: destroy target land''
activated abilities that aren't mana abilities cost your opponents an additional ''Tap an untapped permanent you control'' to cast
If you would lose life, instead target creature gets +4/+0 until end of turn
Hellbent - If you have no cards in hand, Pay 3 life: You and target opponent each untap and gain control of up to three target creatures the other controls until end of turn. They gain haste until end of turn.

Two mana for an enchantment that stops you from losing life and gives you 28 flying power for 1RRR? Sure sounds like a user-made card.

E: I think more than the patently ridiculous cards, I'm impressed by the ability of this thing to stumble across cards with flavor and synergistic abilities every once in a blue moon. Besides the base mana cost, this card actually seems cool:

quote:

Creature - Human Druid (1/1, green)
1G, Sacrifice a land: regenerate two target creatures
3G: you reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a land card, put that card into hand, and shuffle the rest into your library.

Converted mana cost: 5

Nibble fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 5, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think this topic could use a bump so we can talk about cards for the You Make The Card event.

Here's the idea I'm running with right now. I love the poo poo out of Heartless Summoning so I'm riffing off of it a little bit.

Soul Generation:
2B
Exile 2 creature cards from a graveyard: until end of turn, creature spells you play cost one less to cast. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.

Would it be too broken if I tacked on a discard or sacrifice effect? Is there any way to fit that into the card in a way that adds flavour?

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

^^^I like that the card is as simple as it is.

code:
Whenever a player discards a card, that player loses 1 life and draws two cards.
Each player's maximum handsize is 2.
Does this work such that if you discard 2 cards during cleanup, you then draw 4?

The worst submarine fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

quote:

Enchantment (black)
any player may cast Generated spells with converted mana cost X or less, where X is the number of creatures on the battlefield by paying ''X'' rather than paying their mana cost
1, Sacrifice a Snake: exchange control of target legendary red enchantment you control and target permanent of the same type target opponent controls
Sacrifice ~this~: put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token onto the battlefield
Discard a card, sacrifice any number of Spirits: that many permanents gain ''Tap an untapped library you control: put a doom counter on target enchantment'' and ''2, Discard a card: regenerate target artifact with a doom counter on it'' until end of turn

quote:

Enchantment (black)
All permanents are black
3B: all colourless creatures get -3/-3 until end of turn
BB: gain control of target permanent until end of turn
Sacrifice a untapped Vampire: clash with an opponent. If you win, clash with an opponent. If you win, ~this~ deals 3 damage to target creature or player. When a creature damaged this way is put into a graveyard from the battlefield this turn, return it to the battlefield under your control
--His fan kills a pen yet is mightier than even the greatest yard
– Alex

Seem like perfectly good things for ymtc.

• Locked thread