Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

The worst submarine posted:

^^^I like that the card is as simple as it is.

code:
Whenever a player discards a card, that player loses 1 life and draws two cards.
Each player's maximum handsize is 2.
Does this work such that if you discard 2 cards during cleanup, you then draw 4?

Yes, and then there's another cleanup step, which will trigger another round of discard/draw, etc., etc., etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011
code:
~mk1
BBB
Enchantment

Opponent pays 1 life when they tap a non basic land.
Opponent may pay (5) to exile ~mk1.
When ~mk1 enters the battlefield, exile it if you control a permanent called ~mk1.
I just wanted something to screw with all those dual lands.

code:
Fetid Waters
B
Enchantment

Pay 4 life : discard hand and draw X cards where X is the number of cards you discarded.
You may play a land from your graveyard, that land is a swamp in addition to its other types.
This is like a mulligan in a card. Also dredge.

edit: I came up with this on my own. No silly card generator business.

RADmadness fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 16, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Cruelty of Mind

1B - Enchantment.

You can't win the game and your opponent's can't lose the game.

At the beginning of your draw step, draw an extra card.

The flavour of it is the enchantment makes you smarter and more sadistic. You gain more knowledge, but you don't want your opponent to die anymore so you can torment them.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 16, 2013

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Please critique my first rough draft:

Autophagy I
Enchantment
As ~ enters the battlefield, each player chooses 1 card in his or her hand and discards the rest.
Each player skips their draw step.
Pay 1 life, discard a card: Draw 2 cards. Any player may play this ability any time they could play a sorcery.
If a player would gain life, sacrifice ~ instead.

Autophagy II
Enchantment
As ~ enters the battlefield, each player chooses 1 card in his or her hand and discards the rest
Pay 2 life, discard 2 cards: Draw 3 cards. Any player may play this ability any time they could play a sorcery.
During your upkeep, each player loses life equal to the number of cards in his or her hand.
If a player would gain life, sacrifice ~ instead.

Autophagy III
Enchantment
Pay 1 life, discard a card: add B to your mana pool.
BB, Pay 2 life: Draw a card.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Cruelty of Mind

1B - Enchantment.

You can't win the game and your opponent's can't lose the game.

At the beginning of your draw step, draw an extra card.

The flavour of it is the enchantment makes you smarter and more sadistic. You gain more knowledge, but you don't want your opponent to die anymore so you can torment them.

On the one hand, an extra card per turn is ballfuckingly good, but it's also really hard for you to get rid of since it's an enchantment. I'd still probably bump the cost up.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

yaoi prophet posted:

On the one hand, an extra card per turn is ballfuckingly good, but it's also really hard for you to get rid of since it's an enchantment. I'd still probably bump the cost up.

This is true for monoblack, but as long as RTR block is in standard 3-color decks are the norm. Any deck that runs this will have no issue getting rid of it. They just won't use a black spell to do it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

This is true for monoblack, but as long as RTR block is in standard 3-color decks are the norm. Any deck that runs this will have no issue getting rid of it. They just won't use a black spell to do it.

This was the card I submitted, and I bumped the cost up to BB to make it less splashable.
This card's not likely to see print in Theros block anyways.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

yaoi prophet posted:

I say the card's reasonable, and it would be balanced if it caused a point of lifeloss. Abyssal Persecutor cost 4 mana for a creature that's worth 5.5 mana at mythic, with a similar "you can't win" clause. Rare Phyrexian Arena effects are currently costed at 3.5 mana, so this design is pretty close to balanced, and at mythic it could exist without the lifeloss. Is there any indication whether this year's YMTC will be rare or mythic?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Chamale posted:

I say the card's reasonable, and it would be balanced if it caused a point of lifeloss. Abyssal Persecutor cost 4 mana for a creature that's worth 5.5 mana at mythic, with a similar "you can't win" clause. Rare Phyrexian Arena effects are currently costed at 3.5 mana, so this design is pretty close to balanced, and at mythic it could exist without the lifeloss. Is there any indication whether this year's YMTC will be rare or mythic?

That's not how rarity is supposed to work.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Silver2195 posted:

That's not how rarity is supposed to work.

You're right, that's not how rarity is supposed to work.

Somehow, that's how rarity works.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Here's my submission:

Psychic Thumbscrews

A progressively more expensive, but more sadistic ratcheting down of hand size.

When ~ enters the battlefield, put one counter on it.

Opponent's maximum hand size is reduced by X where X is the number of counters on ~.

BX: Add a counter to ~. Only {B} may be used to pay X.

Something like this could be really powerful in choking out a control deck but I doubt you could put together the mana fast enough to make it worthwhile against aggro. Thus it's perfect for Wizards and I will win the contest.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
That's actually is pretty close to my suggestion, though I left out the name and mana cost because I figured those would be decided upon later.

"Veyrall's Idea posted:

Each opponent's maximum hand size is reduced by one. At the beginning of your upkeep, ~ deals damage to each player equal to seven minus their maximum hand size.

The only problem is that two or more of them on board becomes lethal faster than I'd intended.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Here's my submission:

Psychic Thumbscrews

A progressively more expensive, but more sadistic ratcheting down of hand size.

When ~ enters the battlefield, put one counter on it.

Opponent's maximum hand size is reduced by X where X is the number of counters on ~.

BX: Add a counter to ~. Only {B} may be used to pay X.

Something like this could be really powerful in choking out a control deck but I doubt you could put together the mana fast enough to make it worthwhile against aggro. Thus it's perfect for Wizards and I will win the contest.

Adding a counter should probably be sorcery speed. Otherwise you can stack activations so you can pay six for counters 2, 3, and 4 all at once - I wouldn't call that broken, but definitely seems unintended.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Good point. I reckon development will catch it on the off chance they like this, though.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

So here was my submission for YMTC, yet another riff on Cabal Therapy.

Group Therapy 1BB
When ~ enters the battlefield, put two 1/1 black Advisor creature tokens onto the battlefield.
1B, sacrifice a creature: Name a nonland card. Target player reveals his or her hand and discards all cards with that name.

fe: I was originally gonna have it make one token and have an activated Peek ability, but it seems like it works better with two tokens and no Peek.

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 17, 2013

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013

quote:

Land
Sacrifice ~this~, T: add B to your mana pool
Whenever you discard a card, destroy target nonSpirit creature and draw three cards, then discard four cards
I actually really like this.

quote:

Legendary Enchantment (green)
3GG: put a speed counter on ~this~
Remove a speed counter from ~this~: target untapped blue creature gets +4/+2 until end of turn
3G: put a warp counter on target creature
3G: each permanent with a warp counter on it gains ''All creatures with reach get +6/+7'' (This effect doesn't end)
4G, Sacrifice a library: regenerate target nontoken creature

Converted mana cost: 5
Okay that warp effect is interesting. Bit of a clusterfuck though.

quote:

Sorcery (red)
Affinity for Wizards
target player reveals cards from the top of his or her library until that player reveals a sorcery card, puts that card into hand, and exiles the rest.

Converted mana cost: 1

Huh. Affinity for a tribe. That's a pretty neat concept. Might want to RAISE THE MANA COST THOUGH.

quote:

Creature - Giant Wizard (1/3, red)
All permanents gain ''Sacrifice ~this~: attach target Equipment to target black creature. (Control of that Equipment doesn't change.)''

Converted mana cost: 4
I think this is my favorite effect so far.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

So here was my submission for YMTC, yet another riff on Cabal Therapy.

Group Therapy 1BB
When ~ enters the battlefield, put two 1/1 black Advisor creature tokens onto the battlefield.
1B, sacrifice a creature: Name a nonland card. Target player reveals his or her hand and discards all cards with that name.

fe: I was originally gonna have it make one token and have an activated Peek ability, but it seems like it works better with two tokens and no Peek.

So it's instant speed discard, token generation, and a sac outlet all in one? That seems a little overpowered.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

So it's instant speed discard, token generation, and a sac outlet all in one? That seems a little overpowered.

Dur, I meant to put a sorcery-speed only rider at the end of the second ability. There's no way they'd print instant speed Therapies on a stick, of course:v:

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Reposting my YMTC submission over here:

Waste Spiral
All opponents play with the top card of their library revealed.
Discard a card: Target opponent puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard.

So what do you guys think? Too good/bad/blue?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Eeevil posted:

Waste Spiral
Discard a card: Target opponent puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard.

It's sorta neat, but it's pretty bad because you lose card advantage by getting rid of a card from your hand to get the top card of their deck off. If you did it so both players played with it revealed it might have some neat utility. Or something else. It's a cool idea though, just need to figure out how to eliminate that card advantage issue.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If you could repeatedly fateseal someone without any loss of card advantage, that would be wicked broken.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you could repeatedly fateseal someone without any loss of card advantage, that would be wicked broken.

I'm not saying make it cantrip or anything, just that it's not worth a card from your hand to take the top card from your opponent's deck.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Even if it's just "exile the top of your deck to exile the top of theirs" the moment you get ahead you probably just win.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Eeevil posted:

Waste Spiral

This strikes me as a "griefer Timmy" card. Having said that, controlling your opponent's draws like that it is probably powerful enough that I can imagine this being a legitimate constructed-playable card at the right mana cost, either as a sideboard card against combo decks or as part of a weird combo-control deck (though I don't claim to be a very good player). I agree that the loss of card advantage is what keeps it from being broken. As it is, it's still likely to get rejected for being "unfun," probably with good reason. In other words, I don't think it's too good or too bad, but it might be too mean. I can also conceivably see it being rejected for being too blue, but probably not; narrowly targeted forms of milling are black, after all, and I think revealing the top cards of libraries is black in this context for the same reason that the Peek aspect of cards like Duress doesn't make them blue.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 17, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Submitted something like this:

quote:

Any Means Necessary
Pay 2 life: Make 1/1 creature token
Sac 2 creatures: Draw a card
Discard your hand: [big effect (I suggested taking an extra turn)]. Play this ability only if you have seven or more cards in hand.

I wanted to create a black Trading Post (I said as much in the concept section), i.e. a toolbox that lets you swap value around, with some ultimate tradeoff to give it a more black feel. Broken if you have any method of generating a lot of creatures, so maybe upping the cost of the second ability to 3 or 4?

Was also going to submit this, probably also broken-

quote:

Dark Calling
During your upkeep, you may put a pact counter on ~. If you do, you lose X life and put a X/X Demon token into play, where X is the number of pact counters on ~.

Bitterblossom was good, right? :v: Maybe it'd be more balanced if the counter addition (and thus life payment) were mandatory, since black doesn't really have a way of getting rid of its own enchantments and it could quickly get large enough to kill you if you can't use its token to kill your opponent first.

I have not actually played Magic in several years and it probably shows in this post!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 17, 2013

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I think the card is fine as it currently is. Or, at least, doesn't need to be increased in power. Fatesealing is a deceptively powerful effect. I don't think it's a blue effect. Not every control card is blue. Discard based denial is pretty black. This just does it in a way that avoids the complete shutdown that comes with repeatable discard effects.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

quote:

Human Logger
1W
Tap ~, Sacrifice a Forest, search your library for a Plains and put in into play. Shuffle your deck afterwards.
2/1
Basically a dude who cuts down forests to make plains. Haven't played M:TG in ages, no idea how insanely OP/UP this is.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I like that. It's very white and it's a reasonable effect, sort of like a Knight of the Reliquary that you could print at uncommon. Very flavorful too.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
My attempt at the Izzet/Boros and Selesnya/Orzhov split card we're missing.

Back // Forth

Back 1UR
Sorcery
Tap all creatures target player controls.

Forth 2RW
Sorcery
After your first combat phase this turn, untap all creatures you control. After this combat phase, there is an additional combat phase.

Give // Take

Give GW
Instant
Each player populates.

Take 1BW
Instant
Each opponent loses 1 life for each creature on the battlefield. You gain all life lost this way.

factorialite fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 17, 2013

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

JerryLee posted:

I like that. It's very white and it's a reasonable effect, sort of like a Knight of the Reliquary that you could print at uncommon. Very flavorful too.

Yeah, it's a knight of the reliquary but less nuts. You'd use him for the ramp and landfall instead of also the tutoring and eventual beater.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Here's a card I just brainstormed:

quote:

Terracon
Cost: (4)
Artifact
Sacrifice a creature, (T): Terracon gains a charge counter.
Sacrifice a land, (T): Terracon gains two charge counters.
Remove 10 charge counters from Terracon: Transform Terracon.
If Terracon would gain charge counters from any source but Terracon, you take 2 damage per charge counter gained this way.
----------
Dei Terra
Legendary Land
(T) Add two mana of any combination of colors to your mana pool
(T) Add three mana of any one color to your mana pool
(B),(G),(R),(U),(W), (T), Sacrifice Dei Terra: Put a colorless Mana Font artifact token into play that has "Indestructible; You may play creatures, artifacts, and enchantments from your hand without paying their mana costs."

Edit: For fun, here's some random-generated cards.

quote:

Legendary Creature - Human Rogue (1/2, black)
At the beginning of each opponent's precombat main phase, target player may Sacrifice a creature with power 3 or more. If that player doesn't, destroy target nonblack creature
--Nature pauses even one activity and understands louder than even the skilled creature
– Bremime the Sharp, Elect Rebel of the Order of the Silent Grove

quote:

Legendary Artifact Creature - Golem Warrior (3/1, artifact)
flying

Converted mana cost: 3
Apparently, flying is enough to make a Golem legendary.

quote:

Sorcery (blue)
target library is a artifact in addition to its other types until end of turn
--His cannon covers more impressively than even the bravest bed would
Although her giraffe can defeat the most beautiful twig
– Folk Song (Trad.)

Uh.

quote:

Artifact
Threshold - If you have seven or more cards in your graveyard, All tapped creatures with flying become Wizards
Imprint — When ~this~ enters the battlefield, you may exile target nontoken nonland red permanent. (The exiled card is imprinted on this artifact.)
Tap an untapped nonred permanent you control, Sacrifice ~this~: the imprinted card's converted mana cost green enchantments gain protection from unblocked tapped Elves until end of turn
I think the generator broke, you guys.

quote:

Land
3, T: add two mana of any one colour to your mana pool
T: add U to your mana pool
Have nothing but islands? Need another color really badly? This is your land!

quote:

Sorcery (blue)
draw a card

Converted mana cost: 2
Simple enough.

quote:

Instant - Arcane (red)
~this~ deals 1 damage divided as you choose among any number of target players

I guess this would be worth a onedrop slot in an arcane/storm deck.

quote:

Creature - Treefolk Shaman (3/1, green)
RGW: Return target land card from your graveyard to hand

Huh, this could actually be pretty cool for an RBW deck.

quote:

Instant (blue)
any number of target artifacts gain ''Whenever a spell is countered, draw three cards, then discard four cards'' until end of turn

Converted mana cost: 2
This opens up an interesting scenario; is your hand bad enough that you use it on your own artifact, or your enemies, to lower his hand size (to 0 if he's running an artifact deck.)

Namagem fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 20, 2013

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I had a design idea. It's a bit like Vanguard, but the cards don't modify hand size or life totals and are generally weaker. The idea is to choose one emblem that provides a nice effect for certain kinds of player. A few examples:

Feroz's Fan
Homelands spells cost (1) less to cast.

Collector Neglector
Rare spells cost (1) more to cast.

Memory Adapt
If a spell would put cards into an opponent's graveyard from their library, it puts that many cards plus two into that player's graveyard instead.

Anyone else have suggestions for this? I could take either a design or a kind of casual deck that needs a boost. I'm trying to figure out a good, simple way to reward someone for using lots of cards by the same artist.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Virtuoso's Easel
Spells you control have Affinity for Artists (This spell costs (1) less to cast for each permanent you control that shares an artist with it.)

Might be too powerful, but anyone with a deck built to abuse it is already going to be limited in card selection.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
The Timmy: non-creature spells you control gain the supertype tribal and the subtype of one creature type chosen when The Timmy enters play.

The Johnny: Choose two colors. The mana cost of spells costing one of those two colors costs either of those two instead.

The Spike: Numbers in the text box of spells and creatures you control are one higher.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If they were going to print another one-off Storm card in a limited or throwback set, what would this need to cost:

{Drawing Storm}
Instant
Play only during an opponent's turn.
Draw a card.
Storm

I'm thinking it could get away with being 1UU, but it might need to be 3U or 2UU.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
We're never seeing another Storm card outside of silver-bordered land while Maro still draws breath.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Entropic posted:

We're never seeing another Storm card outside of silver-bordered land while Maro still draws breath.

I think we know the solution then. :black101:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
At the very least, we'll never see another storm card with an effect that wins you the game on its own if duplicated enough, and drawing your deck basically does that.

If they ever revisit storm, they'll limit to things that don't actually want to combo off to a storm count of 20 and won't instantly win you the game if they do.

I could see stuff like

Locust Storm 3B
Instant
Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature. Storm.

...but there's not a huge amount of design space left when you take out anything that can combo for an instant win. No power-boosting, no token making, no card draw, no direct damage (maaaaaybe if it's restricted to creatures, since the combos with things like Stuffy Doll are a lot harder to pull off).

The problem with storm is that it really wants to be a Johnny mechanic where you can build around it for a combo win, but as soon as you actually it do that it becomes way too powerful.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You don't think "Draw a card" can be balanced with "Play only during an opponent's turn? Given that it prevents you from chaining together Infernal Tutors, free mana rocks, Ponder/Preordain/Probe, etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Toshimo posted:

You don't think "Draw a card" can be balanced with "Play only during an opponent's turn? Given that it prevents you from chaining together Infernal Tutors, free mana rocks, Ponder/Preordain/Probe, etc.?

People would just use Leyline of Anticipation/Vedalken Orrery :colbert:

• Locked thread