Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

People would just use Leyline of Anticipation/Vedalken Orrery :colbert:

I don't see that as an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Toshimo posted:

You don't think "Draw a card" can be balanced with "Play only during an opponent's turn? Given that it prevents you from chaining together Infernal Tutors, free mana rocks, Ponder/Preordain/Probe, etc.?

Stop poking the poop man, trying to figure out what elaborate set of conditions lets you make storm that doesn't break the game just to make storm that doesn't break the game is a waste of everyone's time.

WhitemageofDOOM fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 17, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

We're never seeing another Storm card outside of silver-bordered land while Maro still draws breath.

Flusterstorm exists, though.

And is really good.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
"Splice onto arcane
Storm"

Now that's a card.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
"Destroy all creatures.
Storm"

That would be the most hilarious wrath.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

It has a bit of interaction with regeneration/undying/persist since you'd have to keep paying the regeneration cost and the undying/persist creatures would actually die.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Too wordy now, but I like this planeswalker design I came up because since it limits itself to the turn of the game and can be supported if you want to ramp.

Mepfis, Growth 2GG
Planeswalker - Mepfis
Place loyalty counters that would go on Mepfis on lands you control instead up to one counter for each land.

+2: 2 lands you control with a loyalty counter gain the ability: "T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool"
-X: Up to X lands you control with a loyalty counter gain the ability: "When this land is tapped for mana, add one additional mana of any color to your mana pool"
-7: Put an emblem into play that says, "Creatures you control gain +X/+X where X is the amount of all loyalty counters on lands in play."

Starting Loyalty - 3

Think the Ultimate, Starting, and loyalty pumper is interesting because if Mepfis nails and keeps every pump, he'll kill himself making the emblem useless until another Mephis comes into play or make the player want to not ultimate yet.

edit: Forgot to add, there needs to be a clause saying that you cannot put more than one counter per land you control. Any extra counters made are just lost. Doubling Season would still make this crazy though, but that card makes everything crazy.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

EVIR Gibson posted:

Mepfis, Growth 2GG
Planeswalker - Mepfis
Place loyalty counters that would go on Mepfis on lands you control instead up to one counter for each land.

-7: Put an emblem into play that says, "Creatures you control gain +X/+X where X is the amount of all loyalty counters on lands in play."

Starting Loyalty - 3

I'm confused, how does he ever get to 7?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
So he comes in, puts 3 loyalty counters on your lands, and then dies?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you want his loyalty to be dependent on the number of lands you have, just give him text like "~ can't have more loyalty counters than the number of lands you control".

What you have there is a confusing mess of memory issues and rules text that doesn't actually do what you want it to.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Entropic posted:

If you want his loyalty to be dependent on the number of lands you have, just give him text like "~ can't have more loyalty counters than the number of lands you control".

What you have there is a confusing mess of memory issues and rules text that doesn't actually do what you want it to.

Incidentally, this means that if he has 6 loyalty counters and you have 7 lands, you can't activate his +2, since placing loyalty counters on a planeswalker is a cost. Which might not be what you want.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I think the best way to represent that design is to make it not a planeswalker. Make it an enchantment or an artifact.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 19, 2013

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dr. Stab posted:

I think the best way to represent that design is to make it not a planeswalker. Make it an enchantment or an artifact.

I want a dude that goes around the planes just spreading his roots.

The +2 problem can be fixed. This is a rough concept and it's really messy, but there is some sentence out there that can make it work.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Maybe ditch the passive ability and use something like "+2: Move up to 2 loyalty counters from Mepfis to basic lands with no loyalty counters." Don't know how to word it so that they get the mana fixing without making the ability a million words long though. Would that be permanent or just for the turn you use this ability?

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

EVIR Gibson posted:

The +2 problem can be fixed. This is a rough concept and it's really messy, but there is some sentence out there that can make it work.

Maybe "whenever you place a loyalty counter on Mepfis, put a __ counter on a land you control." You could also put a "you may" at the start of the original sentence, but putting loyalty counters on non-planeswalkers is weird. It seems like it would work fine without putting counters on things in the first place, honestly.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

EVIR Gibson posted:

The problem isn't with his +2, the problem is with the replacement effect.

to magic-ify what you put:

"If a loyalty counter would be put on ~, put a loyalty counter on a land you control without a loyalty counter on it instead"

This means that he comes in without any loyalty counters on him, and dies instantly.

To get it to work the way you want, you have to say "~ doesn't die from having 0 loyalty" and "if a loyalty counter would be removed from ~, you may instead remove a loyalty counter from a land you control" and also "you may remove loyalty counters from lands you control instead in order to pay costs for loyalty abilities of ~"

There's just no way to describe what you want it to do succinctly.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Also what's the flavor of it? He's putting loyalty counters on lands and his ultimate is +X/+X to creatures? It would make more sense for lands to become creatures or something.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
That design is trying to force an idea that doesn't add any fun gameplay for the sake of some nebulous flavour. It's a bad design that should go back to the drawing board.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Entropic posted:

That design is trying to force an idea that doesn't add any fun gameplay for the sake of some nebulous flavour. It's a bad design that should go back to the drawing board.

To sum up you are saying I am bad and I should feel bad. Thanks! :)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

EVIR Gibson posted:

To sum up you are saying I am bad and I should feel bad. Thanks! :)

Actually he directly said the design is bad. You should learn to separate criticism of ideas from criticism of yourself if you want to improve on it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Had a pretty weird idea, not sure if it is good or not, but I kinda like the idea of cycling red instants and sorceries.

Destructive loop
Enchantment
2RR

If you would draw a card from your library, instead draw a random instant or sorcery from your graveyard
If an instant or sorcery would go to the graveyard, exile it instead.
If you would draw a card and there are no instants or sorceries in your graveyard, you do not draw a card.
~ may not be the target of abilities or effects that you control.

Basically my thinking is, you cast a bunch of burn spells and exhaust your hand, then play this and draw them again from your graveyard. If you don't kill them with the cards available to you already, you are effectively locked out from drawing any more cards and probably just die.

Dunno if it really fits red or not, and flashback kinda makes this whole idea redundant.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Vomik posted:

Actually he directly said the design is bad. You should learn to separate criticism of ideas from criticism of yourself if you want to improve on it.

Truthfully, if he suggested how it could possibly work or suggest it would take too much text instead of just using phrases like "doesn't add any fun" or "nebulous flavour", I would have taken it better.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
He more or less said that he didn't have a way to fix it. He identified what he thought was wrong with it, and while he was blunt, that doesn't mean that you should take it personally.

Personally, I like the mechanical feel of putting counters on permanents, and then removing counters from those permanents in order to give bonuses to permanents with counters on them. Reminds me of Saproling Burst.

Like, maybe an artifact with

Lands you control with growth counters on them have "{t}: add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
{t}: put a growth counters on up to two target lands you control.
{3}, {t} remove 3 growth counter from a lands you control: Whenever a land you control with a growth counter on it is tapped for mana this turn, add one mana of any color to your mana pool

Cactrot posted:

Had a pretty weird idea, not sure if it is good or not, but I kinda like the idea of cycling red instants and sorceries.

Destructive loop
Enchantment
2RR

If you would draw a card from your library, instead draw a random instant or sorcery from your graveyard
If you would draw a card and there are no instants or sorceries in your graveyard, you do not draw a card.

Basically my thinking is, you cast a bunch of burn spells and exhaust your hand, then play this and draw them again from your graveyard. If you don't kill them with the cards available to you already, you are effectively locked out from drawing any more cards and probably just die.

Dunno if it really fits red or not, and flashback kinda makes this whole idea redundant.

The effect is pretty marginal. There's nothing really guaranteeing that a random instant or sorcery in your graveyard is better than a random card off the top of your deck. Also, you don't need the 3rd ability, it's implied from the first.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Cactrot posted:

Destructive loop
Enchantment
2RR

If you could pick the instant/sorcery that was coming back, this would instantly go from "Meh" to "Game Ender" in all formats that support a Mono-R burn strategy. It feels like this card is trying to be "Snapcaster Mage in Enchantment form" anyway, so why not just give it Snapcaster's ability?

Destructive loop
Enchantment
2RR

If you would draw a card from your library, instead target instant or sorcery card in your graveyard gains flashback until end of turn. The flashback cost is equal to its mana cost. (You may cast that card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it. If there are no Instant or Sorcery cards in your graveyard, you do not draw a card.)
~ may not be the target of spells or abilities you control.

It would combo well with Browbeat - either your opponent takes 5 damage or you get to send even more burn their way.

GOO PUNCH!!
Oct 28, 2010
The more I look at designs spit out by the random card generator, the more I am convinced it had a central role in the creation of the Legends expansion.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Zonekeeper posted:

If you could pick the instant/sorcery that was coming back, this would instantly go from "Meh" to "Game Ender" in all formats that support a Mono-R burn strategy. It feels like this card is trying to be "Snapcaster Mage in Enchantment form" anyway, so why not just give it Snapcaster's ability?

Destructive loop
Enchantment
2RR

If you would draw a card from your library, instead target instant or sorcery card in your graveyard gains flashback until end of turn. The flashback cost is equal to its mana cost. (You may cast that card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it. If there are no Instant or Sorcery cards in your graveyard, you do not draw a card.)
~ may not be the target of spells or abilities you control.

It would combo well with Browbeat - either your opponent takes 5 damage or you get to send even more burn their way.

It is very snapcastery, but the main intent was to create an effect where the player can say "okay, I've played this, that and the other, if I can do X damage in Y turns with these I've won, otherwise I lose" there are huge downsides, because any counterspells, lifegain or discard can lose the game for you. But I really like the idea of winning a game by committing to an all-or-nothing strategy. It wasn't meant to be a game ender, which is why the cards are drawn randomly.
Ans as it is right now, it can still be gotten rid of by things that wipe enchantments, I couldn't figure out a good way to keep it on the battlefield without making it excessively wordy with "When ~ is exiled or put into a graveyard, return it to the battlefield" even though that does exactly what I want.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There's nothing about the design of that card that requires it to be impossible to remove. It doesn't generate advantage, and there isn't really a way to abuse it.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

There's nothing about the design of that card that requires it to be impossible to remove. It doesn't generate advantage, and there isn't really a way to abuse it.

Thinking about it, you're right. Red doesn't have much draw, so any abuse is going to be limited. All it really does is endure you topdeck a spell every turn after you play it. At least Tibalt isn't COMPLETELY useless with this on the field. :v:

Since you're going to be limited to your cards in hand after playing it, perhaps an activated ability like

1R, discard a card: Draw a card.

could be put on it. Your hand won't get any bigger after this drops (and likely wasn't big prior to playing it anyway), so you'll get a short-term boost out of it at least.

IGotMine
Feb 12, 2009

Cactrot posted:

It is very snapcastery, but the main intent was to create an effect where the player can say "okay, I've played this, that and the other, if I can do X damage in Y turns with these I've won, otherwise I lose" there are huge downsides, because any counterspells, lifegain or discard can lose the game for you. But I really like the idea of winning a game by committing to an all-or-nothing strategy. It wasn't meant to be a game ender, which is why the cards are drawn randomly.
Ans as it is right now, it can still be gotten rid of by things that wipe enchantments, I couldn't figure out a good way to keep it on the battlefield without making it excessively wordy with "When ~ is exiled or put into a graveyard, return it to the battlefield" even though that does exactly what I want.

Yeah but when was the last time sorting your graveyard into separate piles and constantly shuffling it so you can pick one randomly actually fun in a game? Like, it works better on paper (or in MTGO/MWS/Cockatrice) than it would with actual cards.

Of course, if you can pick the instant/sorcery suddenly you're looking at a potentially awful, game-breaking card depending on the environment. Of course, I do definitely like the flavor I'm just not sure how to tweak the card to make that come through better and actually make it a bit better balanced.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Randomly generated gem:

quote:

Creature - Human Shaman (1/1, green)
your opponents may cast spells without paying their mana cost
--Nature kills a magic and impresses more daintily than even the most stalwart gate
Though just one kiss can defeat the aspirational wrist
– Lachit, Sharp Rebel

Converted mana cost: 1

I see no downsides to this :colbert:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Play it. Donate it. Of course, they will probably kill you before your donate resolves.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
I enjoyed this one.

quote:

Creature - Goblin Wizard (2/3, red)
first strike
first strike
first strike
--Just one hot surprises the most beautiful rabbit
– Eglia Espleene the Conniving

Converted mana cost: 6

Just in case you didn't get it the first time.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Carados posted:

I enjoyed this one.

Just in case you didn't get it the first time.

Third strike: fight for the future.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Third strike: fight for the future.

Triple strike: this creature deals triple strike damage, double strike damage, and regular damage.
or
Triple strike: if this creature deals damage to an opponent, then, at the start of the next game with that opponent, he or she takes damage equal to the damage dealt.

quote:

Creature - Insect (1/2, green)
shroud
Pay 3 life: draw five cards
you may cast spells by paying ''4GGG'' rather than paying their mana cost

Converted mana cost: 7
What a bizarre creature.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Nonbasic hosers

The Hills Have Teeth 1R
Enchantment
Whenever a nonbasic land enters the battlefield, that land's controller loses X life, where X is the number of nonbasic lands in play.

Expanding Horizons G
Enchantment
Whenever an opponent plays a nonbasic land, put a discovery counter no Expanding Horizons.
Remove a counter from Expanding Horizons: you may put a land into play tapped.

Field Duty W
Enchantment
Nonbasic lands gain "this land does not untap. During the untap phase, you may pay 1. If you do, untap this land."

Spoiled Bounties 1BB
Enchantment
Creatures gain -X/-X, where X is the number on nonbasic lands that creature's controller owns.

Stranger Tides 1U
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card if your opponent controls a nonbasic land.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Tardigrade posted:

Creature - Insect (1/2, green)
shroud
Pay 3 life: draw five cards
you may cast spells by paying ''4GGG'' rather than paying their mana cost

What a bizarre creature.

Bizarrely enough, that's one of the strongest creatures ever printed.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

factorialite posted:

Bizarrely enough, that's one of the strongest creatures ever printed.

Except for the 7CMC

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Griselbrand costs 7. That didn't stop him. Also, this guy is in the color of cheating guys into play.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Entropic posted:

Except for the 7CMC

Nah, you cheat it in and basically win on the spot. It's like Griselbrand except better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dr. Stab posted:

Griselbrand costs 7. That didn't stop him. Also, this guy is in the color of cheating guys into play.

But yeah, instant Necropotence at 3/5 the price would be worth cheating into play.

The random generator unsurprisingly seems to spit out mostly "useless" or "broken", often on the same card, with little in between.

quote:

Instant (green)
add G to your mana pool
--His scene flees even the whispered locket and competes better than the best rain ever will
– Azul

quote:

Land
T: add 2 to your mana pool

Entropic fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 24, 2013

• Locked thread