Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Namagem posted:

Creature - Goblin Rogue (2/1, red and blue)
Pay 5 life: put four 1/1 red and blue Wizard creature tokens onto the battlefield
Sacrifice two Wizards: copy target activated ability from a red creature source and you may choose new targets for the copy
Converted mana cost: 1

Izzet Suicide Mage finder? Cool ability, but it would probably be about 1 or 2 CMC higher.

This is a bit better than just needing a higher CMC. It's literally a one card infinite wizard combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Creature - Vampire (1/2, black)
Flying
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, put a warp counter on target permanent
Each creature with a warp counter on it gets -3/-3

Converted mana cost: 2

Creature - Zombie (2/1, black)
As long as ~this~ is untapped, All permanents are black
At the beginning of each opponent's end step, clash with an opponent. If you win, each opponent loses 4 life and you gain that much life

Converted mana cost: 3

Land
1, T: add BBB to your mana pool
T: add R to your mana pool. Spend this mana only on spells and activated abilities.
When ~this~ is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, target player may return a creature card from his or her graveyard to hand
T: any number of target Wizards get -1/-1 until end of turn for each card in your hand

A vampire that murders/weakens things every turn, a Zombie that steals life just by existing and the Land of Dark Rituals with some extra abilities that nobody cares about. Well maybe if they're fighting Wizards, then it removes things just as hard as the Vampire.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

quote:

Creature - Dragon (1/1, red and white)
Flying
Tap an untapped permanent you control: ~this~ deals 3 damage to target player
Threshold - If you have seven or more cards in your graveyard, All Wizards gain provoke
Split second
--Even the greatest parent may flee
– Sceecheish Droushoomug, Priest of the Rock, Novice Member of the Forbidden Creek

Three cost 1/1 dragon that taps creatures to lightning bolt and gives wizards provoke on threshold.

Even the greatest parent may flee.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Creature - Beast (1/2, green)
shroud
At the beginning of your upkeep, target player may pay X blue mana, where X is the number of Clerics an opponent controls. If that player doesn't, you may put any number of cards from hand onto the battlefield
you may cast artifact spells without paying their mana cost

Oh hey, the strongest card ever printed

Land
Discard a card, Discard a card, T: add B to your mana pool for each card in your graveyard
Sacrifice ~this~, Tap an untapped creature you control, T: add two mana of any one colour to your mana pool

This is actually a sweet card idea and could be fixed:

Magic Graveyard
Land
Magic Graveyard comes into play tapped.
Discard a card, Tap: Add B to your mana pool for each creature card in your graveyard.

or

Overgrown Graveyard
Land
T: Exile any number of creature cards from your graveyard. For each creature exiled this way, add G to your mana pool.

The easiest choice you'll ever make:

Tribal Sorcery - Cleric (black)
Choose one: you reveal the top seven cards of your library. you put all creature cards from among them into play, and put the rest on top of your library in any order and each opponent loses 4 life and you gain that much life; or destroy target Cleric

Converted mana cost: 4

factorialite fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 3, 2013

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

quote:

Land
T: add R to your mana pool
T: add R to your mana pool
-- When sleepy, A single man is greater than even the arithmetic
But her governor kills better than the best heart
– Folk Song (Trad.)
Mountain-Mountain dual land. Too OP, needs nerf.

quote:

Sorcery - Generated (red)
~this~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player
--The best dust sings
– Trothe Freiti, Silver Guardian

Much more balanced :downs:

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

biosterous posted:

Much more balanced :downs:

Unyaro Dust Sting

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

quote:

Sorcery (red)
Choose one: destroy any number of target lands. They can't be regenerated.; or destroy target artifact
--only the confused cap sings the dinner yet amuses more beautifully than the confused dust
– Folk Song (Trad.)

Such strategic depth in which mode to choose on this one.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

quote:

Land
~this~ enters the battlefield tapped.
T: add 1 to your mana pool
Whenever you tap a land for mana, you may put two cards from hand onto the battlefield
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay 3. If you do, you reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature card, put that card into hand, and put the rest on top of your library in any order
The most powerful land.

quote:

Enchantment (white)
Threshold - If you have seven or more cards in your graveyard, Convoke
--Her owl transcends the grandest children
– Odin

And something that does nothing at all!

quote:

Instant (black)
you lose 2 life

These ones my favourite. I don't think I'll ever stop laughing at these.

(especially since I know that someone, somewhere, would find a way to make it part of some crazy-strong combo)

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

quote:

Creature - Spirit (2/2, black)
All creatures gain ''Whenever an opponent sacrifices a Spirit, target opponent reveals cards from the top of his or her library until that player reveals a card, puts that card into hand, and puts the rest into his or her graveyard''
T: Assemble a Contraption
--The proper cave can crush the most awesome calendar
– Dichee, Druid of the Ancient Citadel

This would be pretty amazing in an Aristocrats deck.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

quote:

Creature - Vampire (2/3, black)
Flying
Whenever one or more creatures are dealt damage, target opponent may Pay 2 life. If that player doesn't, target creature gets -1/-4 until end of turn and that creature can't block until end of turn

Converted mana cost: 7

If it wasn't so expensive, this actually wouldn't be that bad of an ability. Clunky, though, and the 'can't block' is basically useless.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Mr. Peepers posted:

This would be pretty amazing in an Aristocrats deck.

That's a really goddamned wordy way to write "All creatures gain "Whenever an opponent sacrifices a Spirit, target opponent draws a card.""

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

quote:

Artifact
4: all permanents gain ''protection from instant or sorcery spells'' until end of turn
Pay 3 life: target enchantment gains ''2WW: put a leak counter on target enchantment'' and ''GG: tap each land with a leak counter on it'' (This effect doesn't end)

Nooo my mana is leaking :saddowns:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

quote:

Creature - Human Rogue (2/2, black)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a doom counter on target permanent
B: target creature with a doom counter on it gets -1/-1 until end of turn
--Every best hall rallies to just one bomb
– Nephikitty

Absurd. It can doom manlands and kill them if activated.

This card is genuinely sweet. And costs 1 :downs:

quote:

Instant (black)
You and target opponent each untap and gain control of all creatures with deathtouch the other controls (This effect doesn't end).
--The cherries can minimise
– Nephikitty

Here are my deathtouchers and here are yours.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Land
~this~ enters the battlefield tapped.
Pay 3 life, T, sacrifice ~this~: each player may search his or her library for up to four land cards and put them into hand. Each player who searched his or her library this way shuffles it.
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, draw three cards
Whenever ~this~ is tapped for mana, ~this~ gains ''When ~this~ is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, put a leak counter on target permanent'' and ''W: attach an Equipment in play to each creature with a leak counter on it. (Control of that Equipment doesn't change.)'' until end of turn

The first ability seems a bit useless since the other guy gets it too, the second one is plain OP and the third one flat out doesn't work because you can't actually tap it for mana.

Enchantment (black)
B: each opponent gets 2 poison counters
When ~this~ leaves the battlefield, up to one target green permanents gain protection from instant spells until end of turn
--His lettuce gathers more than the most awesome pail
– Odin

Play it in turn 4, turn 5 gets somebody 10 poison counters.

Instant (blue)
you may tap or untap all permanents
--Her toe lives faster than even the aspirational mitten
– Unknown

Converted mana cost: 6

Can this untap lands that were tapped to pay it's cost?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Swiss army dwarf

quote:

Creature - Dwarf Shaman (3/1, red)
When ~this~ is exiled, you may Tap an untapped permanent you control. If you don't, target creature with total power and toughness 3 or more gets +1/-1 until end of turn for each card in your graveyard
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, up to one target nontoken creatures with power 4 get +3/-1 until end of turn
All creatures with power 3 or more gain wither
1: put a improbability counter on target creature
Each creature with a improbability counter on it gets +3/-3
Each creature with a improbability counter on it gets +3/-3
If an opponent would be dealt damage, an opponent may pay X, where X is the number of poison counters you have. If that player doesn't, instead two target artifact creatures get +1/-1 until end of turn for each card in your graveyard
1: ~this~ can't be blocked by more than one creature until end of turn
first strike
R: put a speed counter on target permanent
Tap an untapped Swamp you control: put a speed counter on target land
T, Discard a enchantment card: each permanent with a speed counter on it gains ''protection from white'' until end of turn
2, Sacrifice a white creature: you reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a sorcery card, put that card into hand, and shuffle the rest into your library.
T: ~this~ gets +3/-3 until end of turn
RR: ~this~ deals 6 damage to target creature or player

I think it'd have to be physically longer than a regular card to fit everything, but I'd run it in a boros deck.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cactrot posted:

Swiss army dwarf

I think it'd have to be physically longer than a regular card to fit everything, but I'd run it in a boros deck.

It's worse than it looks because your opponent can pay 0 to not take damage for as long as he's out. "Your opponents can't lose life. 1: target creature gets +6/-6" for R would still be pretty bonkers though.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

cheetah7071 posted:

It's worse than it looks because your opponent can pay 0 to not take damage for as long as he's out. "Your opponents can't lose life. 1: target creature gets +6/-6" for R would still be pretty bonkers though.

It doesn't say if you pay it you prevent the damage. Just that if you don't pay it you can do something to artifacts.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Vomik posted:

It doesn't say if you pay it you prevent the damage. Just that if you don't pay it you can do something to artifacts.

It's phrased as a replacement effect--doing the stuff with artifacts replaces the damage. Of course, the ability doesn't actually function as written, because replacement effects are static abilities, wich never go on the stack, and it targets, meaning it must go on the stack, so that's just my best guess at what it's "supposed" to do.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

quote:

Woodland Garrison
Tribal Instant - Warrior (green)
Choose one: any number of target Warriors get +4/+1 until end of turn; or up to five target Elves get +2/+2 until end of turn

Converted mana cost: 6

With a couple lower CMC, this would be almost playable.

quote:

Tenets of the Guard
Artifact
When ~this~ leaves the battlefield, target white creature gets -2/+2 until end of turn
When ~this~ is returned to its owner's hand, you may pay B. If you do, target creature gains Exalted until end of turn

This actually works for a black-white exalted deck as a defense buffer (which exalted needs), and as an exalted granter. The only issue is you need a way to return it to your hand for it to be at all useful.

quote:

Sorcery (green)
put a +1/+1 counter on two target creatures with reach and distribute up to one +1/+1 counter on those creatures
--His city educates more swiftly than the whispered cable
Whilst his action collapses the wisest kiss
– Blinsoschoo Shoquep, King of the Eternal City

Sorcery speed 2 CMC that gives one creature two counters, and another one, assuming you have creatures with reach.

quote:

Sorcery (blue)
Flashback X red mana, where X is the number of basic land types among lands you control
target creature with flying can't be blocked except by tapped red creatures (This effect doesn't end) and that creature gets -4/-0 until end of turn

1 CMC to make a flier unblockable but -4 power. I don't think that's a terrible tradeoff for 1 CMC unblockable.

quote:

Land
T: add 2 to your mana pool
Aww, poo poo.

quote:

Instant (white)
clash with an opponent. If you win, ~this~ deals 3 damage to target attacking or blocking creature

This is... actually almost printable, if not for the weird-card-tax that Clashing cards have.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

quote:

Tribal Land - Insect
T: add 2 to your mana pool
Tap an untapped permanent you control, T: add 3 to your mana pool
Whenever ~this~ becomes tapped, add two mana of any one colour to your mana pool
Whenever ~this~ becomes tapped, add 2 to your mana pool

Move over, workshop.

quote:

Creature - Human Samurai (2/1, white)
bushido 6
~this~ can block an additional creature
Sacrifice ~this~: put a 2/2 white Cleric creature token onto the battlefield
Discard a creature card: put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token onto the battlefield
Sacrifice ~this~: put a 1/1 white Cleric creature token onto the battlefield
Sacrifice a permanent, sacrifice a Cleric: ~this~ deals 1 damage divided as you choose among any number of target attacking or blocking creatures
Sacrifice a Cleric: ~this~ deals 2 damage to target attacking or blocking white creature and destroy target artifact

A cleaner voice of resurgence.

Artificial Idiocy fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 4, 2013

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

quote:

Creature - Human Wizard (1/1, blue)
All white creatures are blue
Sacrifice a Swamp: put a 1/1 blue Bird creature token with flying onto the battlefield
T, sacrifice any number of Birds: return up to that many target black creatures to their owner's hand

It's like some kind of incompetent voodoo practitioner.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Based on the new Bestow mechanic

Creature Name 1B
Enchantment Creature - Spirit
Bestow 2R
Enchanted creature gets +2/+1 and can't block
~ can't block
2/1

e: Bestow cost changed

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 4, 2013

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Creature Name 1B
Bestow 3B
~ can't block
2/1

This seems more like a red card to me. The body itself makes sense as a black creature, but the aura aspect is more of a red effect for sure. I do like how it presents the options of playing an aggressive 2 drop, a buff aura, or removing a blocker. If I designed this card, I'd make the bestow cost red instead, but it's not too much of a stretch as is. Pretty sure Wizards would never print an off-color bestow cost though, because COMPLEXITY. If they made this card it would probably be all red.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

This seems more like a red card to me. The body itself makes sense as a black creature, but the aura aspect is more of a red effect for sure. I do like how it presents the options of playing an aggressive 2 drop, a buff aura, or removing a blocker. If I designed this card, I'd make the bestow cost red instead, but it's not too much of a stretch as is. Pretty sure Wizards would never print an off-color bestow cost though, because COMPLEXITY. If they made this card it would probably be all red.

I'll do an off-color Bestow because gently caress it. I think you're right though. Red and Black sort of share 'can't block' in the color pie. I think this could be flavored with the Theros Returned city more known for their envy of the living.

e: Then again, Crippling Blight exists.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I'll do an off-color Bestow because gently caress it. I think you're right though. Red and Black sort of share 'can't block' in the color pie. I think this could be flavored with the Theros Returned city more known for their envy of the living.

e: Then again, Crippling Blight exists.

It's not that the can't block part is particularly out of flavor for black. Crippling Blight makes sense for black because it's making the creature weak and unable to keep up with attacking creatures. This effect, i.e. a buff aura that also makes the creature unable to block, has only ever been done twice, both on red cards (Maniacal Rage and Undying Rage). It evokes an incredible hulk-like transformation where the creature is so pumped up and pissed off that it won't listen to you if you tell it to block anything, which is red as heck.

I honestly think you could justify doing it in any combination of red and/or black based on the flavor, but I think making the bestow cost red makes more sense within the color pie 'traditions'.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Creature Name 1B
Bestow 2R
~ can't block
2/1

e: Bestow cost changed

Based on this and Crippling Blight (And the fact that I like the idea of a creature printed as -1/-1:

Creature Name B
Bestow 1B
Enchanted creature gets -1/-1 and can't block.
~ can't block

If ~ is a creature, it gains +2/+2 until end of turn.
-1/-1

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Creature - Human Wizard (2/2, blue)
When ~this~ leaves the battlefield, counter target spell or ability
Discard a card: draw a card

Instant (black)
you reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a card, put that card into hand, and exile the rest.
-- When sleepy, Even the fiercest shoe made of stone can flee
– Molain Iloada, Knight of the Grove

I love how this thing either makes the most broken cards or the most useless cards.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Death of Rats posted:

Based on this and Crippling Blight (And the fact that I like the idea of a creature printed as -1/-1:

Creature Name B
Bestow 1B
~ can't block

-1/-1

Dark Prophecy turns this card into half a Sign in Blood. Also free fodder for Scavenging Ooze.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Death of Rats posted:

Creature Name B
Bestow 1B
~ can't block

-1/-1

There's a couple issues with this. First, the guy will die before his trigger resolves (or even goes on the stack, for that matter). Second, if the state trigger does manage to resolve with the guy still around (with anthems to bring his toughness up, for example), it will trigger again right away, and keep triggering unless you can kill him or make him not a creature.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Because Theros flavor is awesome:

Return From The Underworld 4B
Sorcery
Put target creature card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. That creature has no name.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Dr. Stab posted:

There's a couple issues with this. First, the guy will die before his trigger resolves (or even goes on the stack, for that matter). Second, if the state trigger does manage to resolve with the guy still around (with anthems to bring his toughness up, for example), it will trigger again right away, and keep triggering unless you can kill him or make him not a creature.

I meant to take out "until end of turn"; it's a relic from when I was imagining it as a red creature/black bestow with haste and -1/-1. In it's current state it would be templated more like:

Creature Name R
Haste, ~ can't block
If ~ is a creature, sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.
Bestow 1B
Enchanted creature gains haste, -1/-1 and can't block.
1/1

Or black, without haste/sacrifice:

Creature Name B
~ can't block
Bestow 1B
1/1

But that loses the fun of a -1/-1 creature.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Pretty sure Wizards would never print an off-color bestow cost though, because COMPLEXITY. If they made this card it would probably be all red.

Aww, but I love off-color ability cycles. Bestow is pretty tricky though, since you have to come up with a mechanic that fits both colors but works better as a creature in one and an aura in the other. Like maybe a 1/1 White soldier with Exalted that bestows for black mana.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 5, 2013

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

HitTheTargets posted:

Aww, but I love off-color ability cycles. Bestow is pretty tricky though, since you have to come up with a mechanic that fits both colors but works better as a creature in one and an aura in the other. Like maybe a 1/1 White soldier with Exalted that bestows for black mana.

Make it the other way round - white for the bestow cost (helping out altruistically) and black for the creature cost (deciding to fight for itself).

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Hmm, probably. I came up with that off the cuff, thinking that black would want to beef up a big sac outlet, while white would want a chump blocker with an upside during the attack step.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
A while ago I thought it might be interesting to try making two-mana versions of all the Lorwyn plainswalkers. Here's what I came up with:

Ajani WW
Plainswalker - Ajani
+1 Creatures you control get +1/+1 until your next upkeep.
-2 Creatures you control gain indestructible and lifelink until your next upkeep.
-4 You get an emblem with “Creatures you control get +1/+1.”
starting loyalty 2

Jace UU
Plainswalker - Jace
+2 Look at target player’s hand.
-2 Return target nonland permanent to its owner’s hand.
-4 Name a nonland card. You get an emblem with “The named card can’t be cast as long as you control a Jace plainswalker.”
starting loyalty 1

Liliana BB
Plainswalker - Liliana
+2 Sacrifice a creature. If you do, draw a card.
-1 Search your library for a card with the same name as a creature card in your graveyard and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
-7 Return all creature cards from your graveyard to the battlefield.
starting loyalty 1

Chandra RR
Plainswalker - Chandra
+1 Chandra deals 2 damage to each player.
-1 Chandra deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
-5 Put 10 1/1 red Elemental creature tokens onto the battlefield and you get an emblem with “Creatures you control have haste.”
starting loyalty 2

Garruk GG
Plainswalker - Garruk
0 Add G to your mana pool.
0 Put a 1/1 green Squirrel creature token onto the battlefield.
-X Target creature gains +X/+X and gains trample until end of turn.
starting loyalty 4

It turned out that it was pretty interesting, so I recommend other people try it as well. Things I currently want to fix with these: Ajani's ultimate is really boring, I'm not sure how to word Jace's emblem so it works with any Jace, and I still need to think of fancy titles for them.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 9, 2013

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Just have it be "control a Jace?"

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I think "control a Jace Planeswalker" would be the appropriate formatting.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think that Jace ultimate shouldn't use an emblem. For it to work the way I think you mean it to, it would have to be worded like "Name a nonland card. You get an emblem with 'The named card can't be cast.'" Or something like that. It's hard to get it to work. The way you have it worded makes it seem like you have an emblem with an activated ability that you can use repeatedly to just name every card in your opponent's deck.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Entropic posted:

I think that Jace ultimate shouldn't use an emblem. For it to work the way I think you mean it to, it would have to be worded like "Name a nonland card. You get an emblem with 'The named card can't be cast.'" Or something like that. It's hard to get it to work. The way you have it worded makes it seem like you have an emblem with an activated ability that you can use repeatedly to just name every card in your opponent's deck.

I basically just stole the wording from meddling mage. Looking at it again, it looks like it should have a "as this comes into play" component, but maybe your suggestion works better.

e: Which works best between adding "As this enters play," "As this enters the command zone," and just moving the naming out of the emblem?

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Actually, the biggest issue I have is Lili's +2 needing an additional cost. You're essentially going to be sacking all your creatures as soon as you play them just to plus your plus guy, so that you can get back the creatures you sacked. I don't know what your intent is, but it'd read better to me as "+2: Draw a card. If it's a creature card, discard it."

Also I can't imagine Gary making Squirrels instead of Beasts unless he's still just a kid. So embrace the Watchmen Babies aspect of this and make their fancy titles "Jace, Teacher's Pet" and "Ajani, Hall Monitor."

• Locked thread