Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Arlong wasn't in an agreement with the marines, he was bribing one specific high-ranking one. And I thought East Blue was considered the weakest sea, I don't remember anything said about it being the most peaceful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

RatHat posted:

Arlong wasn't in an agreement with the marines, he was bribing one specific high-ranking one. And I thought East Blue was considered the weakest sea, I don't remember anything said about it being the most peaceful?

Well, by that I mean since Nezumi was presumably reporting something to someone, Arlong wasn't going to be stopped anytime soon.

I remember someone in the manga/anime making that quip, that East Blue is called the "weakest" sea and what that really means is it's the one where the Marines have the tightest grip. Strong World, maybe?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Akainu was completely willing to vaporize a subordinate. In One Piece that pretty much guarantees him to be grade-A evil.

I think that's exactly what I mean. We're reading One Piece so we follow the adventures of Luffy and the other pirates. If we were to follow the adventures of John Doe and holy poo poo his entire island and everything he knew and loved were killed by loving PIRATES then I think we'd agree that someone like Akainu was a necessary evil.

I definitely don't think Akainu is corrupt or that the World Government are only interested in keeping themselves in power. Akainu is loyal but he is driven to protect the status quo. He disobeys government orders to ensure that future threats, such as Luffy, are neutralised. The World Government, in the same way, seem driven to peace and stability. A 'evil' pirate like Arlong who has a steady and stable relationship with the Marines despite persecuting civilians is accepted as a necessary evil while a 'good' pirate like Luffy becomes public enemy number one because, while he doesn't kill civilians, he disrupts the World Government and has definitely done more harm than good to the world.

At it's heart, One Piece is always going to be a adventure story for 12 year old boys so things are going to be quite black and white but that doesn't mean the morally grey areas aren't there.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Thoren posted:

The Marines are trying to maintain peace over an entire planet as well as maintain the position of the world government. They're stretched pretty thin as it is. Governments aren't singular entities, they're institutions composed of individuals. One Piece highlights the grey position of governments well.

Is killing pregnant women because they might be carrying the child of a criminal or blowing up an island because some scholars wanted to study history really a grey area kind of thing? If the government didn't do any of that then the One Piece world would be absolutely no worse off.

Kegslayer posted:

I think that's exactly what I mean. We're reading One Piece so we follow the adventures of Luffy and the other pirates. If we were to follow the adventures of John Doe and holy poo poo his entire island and everything he knew and loved were killed by loving PIRATES then I think we'd agree that someone like Akainu was a necessary evil.

What about John Doe who had his island and everything he knew destroyed by the government for no reason? I don't think "necessary evil" is applicable to most of what Akainu's done.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
One Piece 703 - Mangapanda

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
That Lucy character seems like a real contender.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
But! Isn't Lucy a WOMAN'S NAME?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
A bit disappointed that it wasn't translated as Rucy.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think not one women on Dressrosa has any idea how to handle relationships.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 27, 2013

BlackArtistik
Feb 19, 2011

Ahahaha,
"Luffy, you can go all out, but don't let them know who you really are."
"Got it."
"What is your name then?"
"Lu-"

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

The more I see it, the more I want to see Zoro dressed up like this in a 70s buddy cop movie.

I can't imagine Oda doing a full on tournament arc, but am I the only one who keeps on thinking Luffy looks a bit like Master Roshi with that beard and this is just one big excuse for a Dragonball parody?

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008
Toy soldier for next crewmate, it's happening.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
That would be redundant, Franky is already basically a giant action figure.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Robviously posted:

I can't imagine Oda doing a full on tournament arc, but am I the only one who keeps on thinking Luffy looks a bit like Master Roshi with that beard and this is just one big excuse for a Dragonball parody?

Nope! That was my exact thought at the end of the chapter. They both even entered a tournament in disguise. No way that's an accident.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Robviously posted:

The more I see it, the more I want to see Zoro dressed up like this in a 70s buddy cop movie.

I never thought about that, but if Luffy can't use his devil fruit abilities....I can't wait!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I know the Japanese love their number puns, so is there some significance or pun to "Lucy's" entrance number of 556? The only thing I can think of is either Go-Go-Ku or Go-Go-Ro

bondster
May 6, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

I know the Japanese love their number puns, so is there some significance or pun to "Lucy's" entrance number of 556? The only thing I can think of is either Go-Go-Ku or Go-Go-Ro

Well if you want to stretch it to mean something Go-Go-Ro could mean something like Gomu Gomu No?

Also I'm getting some heavy Dragonball vibes from this tournament :allears:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

A tournament arc with all the main characters would have been a great way to establish what all the Strawhats are now capable of post-timeskip, but I feel like Oda is above that kind of storytelling.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
This is the first chapter in a while that put a stupid grin on my face.

Lucy is my favorite new character.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So, this is going to end with Lucy winning and then asking Fujitora to give the Fire Fruit to Coby, isn't it?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

A tournament arc with all the main characters would have been a great way to establish what all the Strawhats are now capable of post-timeskip, but I feel like Oda is above that kind of storytelling.

Luffy was the only one who signed up for the tournament though and since he's not suppose to reveal himself, I think the tournament arc will be about him using his powers creatively as oppose to the crew doing their own thing.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Kegslayer posted:

Luffy was the only one who signed up for the tournament though and since he's not suppose to reveal himself, I think the tournament arc will be about him using his powers creatively as oppose to the crew doing their own thing.

Yeah, I kind of like the idea behind that. Luffy can't use his powers or has to be really odd about using them, which will make for an interesting set of early fights for the arc. While the rest of the stuff happens.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

bondster posted:

The button up shirt, beard, sunglasses and shorts with Luffy's lankiness and hat covering his hair makes him look a lot like Roshi. Now he's entered a tournament under a disguise. If this chapter isn't a direct Dragonball reference I don't know what is.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Brace yourselves, the Mangastream's Translation is up

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Guyver posted:

If this chapter isn't a direct Dragonball reference I don't know what is.
It might very well be. Look at the shirt Nami's got on in the color spread...

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Kegslayer posted:

You know you're talking about Luffy, right? He'll probably use his powers on his very first opponent.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Guyver posted:

The button up shirt, beard, sunglasses and shorts with Luffy's lankiness and hat covering his hair makes him look a lot like Roshi. Now he's entered a tournament under a disguise. If this chapter isn't a direct Dragonball reference I don't know what is.

I'd say so!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Liar posted:

You know you're talking about Luffy, right? He'll probably use his powers on his very first opponent.

He is a romantic though, He wouldn't go all out right away. The worse thing I can see him do is using the Emperor's Haki at first and then get excited by the first Mystery opponent who doesn't pass out. Kinda Gokuesque in a way.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

bondster posted:

Well if you want to stretch it to mean something Go-Go-Ro could mean something like Gomu Gomu No?

So, you're looking for number puns and getting Dragonball vibes but not going with go-go-ku?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Aw man. I was looking forward to more of the Sanji and Zoro show, but it looks like it might not be so.

Xelkelvos posted:

There's also Go-Go-Mu (using an older reading of 6), so it's probably a reference to his fruit if anything like the other guy said.

e: ^^^ Hey, a pun that works in two ways is even better!

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this
http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/70419981/20

The guy in the middle right panel, chopping a punch bag - Bald with 6 dots on his head? Krillin reference or what?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Unknownone posted:

http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/70419981/20

The guy in the middle right panel, chopping a punch bag - Bald with 6 dots on his head? Krillin reference or what?

That's an actual thing between shaolin(?) monks.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Liar posted:

If the guy who just got chumped by Lucy was the monthly winner of the tournament 51 times I wouldn't expect Luffy will have to try very hard frankly. I doubt this is going to last more than a chapter or two before someone interrupts it. Hell, if that guy is anything to go by I expect Lucy to just tell everyone to take him on at once just to get it out of the way before Doflamingo catches on to what's happening and things get serious. Honestly, I'm kind of shocked anyone can have that kind of muscles are everything, tiney man must be weak in a setting with guys who look like Zoro but can chuck around houses effortlessly.

Out of interest, are any of the folks who swore that Luffy would hold no attachment to the fruit actually disappointed in some way by his reaction? There seemed to be a good few folks sure of how he'd react over the last few weeks, so I'm interested to know.

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this

Petiso posted:

That's an actual thing between shaolin(?) monks.

I did not know that. Huh. Learned something.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Luffy instantly offering the fruit to Franky was priceless. This arc is amazing so far. I hope LIGHTNING SOLIDER OF RAGE joins the crew. Franky can fix his leg and give him some neat weapons and gadgets, then they can combine and create a new Battle Franky mecha~! I loving love mechas.

I knew the moment they mentioned the women stab dudes that Sanji would get wrangled into it but I never expected him to be part of a murder plot. Zoro is going to stumble upon the Smile Factory and find out the fairies make the Smile.

Also did anyone else notice the lack of Robin and Sanji in the cover spread? I was very upset about this but Oda used The Police lyrics so it's kinda okay.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

These beards are killing me in every chapter.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

tsob posted:

Out of interest, are any of the folks who swore that Luffy would hold no attachment to the fruit actually disappointed in some way by his reaction? There seemed to be a good few folks sure of how he'd react over the last few weeks, so I'm interested to know.

I'm definitely surprised and not surprised at the same time. I honestly expected Luffy to have no concern at all, but even still he's expressing only concern in a stranger having it. I doubt he really cares who eats it so long as it's someone he knows.

But I'm still hoping the fruit ends up in the mouth of one of Blackbeard's crew, just so we get Zoro cutting fire.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mountain Lightning posted:

Luffy instantly offering the fruit to Franky was priceless. This arc is amazing so far. I hope LIGHTNING SOLIDER OF RAGE joins the crew. Franky can fix his leg and give him some neat weapons and gadgets, then they can combine and create a new Battle Franky mecha~! I loving love mechas.

I knew the moment they mentioned the women stab dudes that Sanji would get wrangled into it but I never expected him to be part of a murder plot. Zoro is going to stumble upon the Smile Factory and find out the fairies make the Smile.

Also did anyone else notice the lack of Robin and Sanji in the cover spread? I was very upset about this but Oda used The Police lyrics so it's kinda okay.
Franky was missing too! Which was very disappointing, but I still loved the spread. Oda's are always so drat fun.

Luffy offering the fruit to Franky made me so happy. I knew he would care about it, it's his brother's fruit after all, but I'm glad that he's the kind of person who would rather happily hand it off to any of his friends rather than keep it as a keepsake or something.

Definitely loving everything about this arc though! I like Violet's design too, I wonder who it is she wants to kill? Could be another person out for Doflamingo's blood, I don't see it being anyone non-important.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Liar posted:

But I'm still hoping the fruit ends up in the mouth of one of Blackbeard's crew, just so we get Zoro cutting fire.

Well he's already mentioned having an interest in learning the skill so he's going to end up cutting elements regardless. It's not like that's the only way someone can have a fire generating ability after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
All that talk of Lucy after the mangapanda link made me expect the dancer Sanji fell for at the beginning of the chapter to be named Lucy, but no. No, the truth was far greater than I expected. :allears: I can't think of any way the next few chapters won't end up amazing, with the setup we have going right now.

• Locked thread