Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh Larian. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5MIin2iBf0

quote:

Win an airbrushed Dragon Commander Cooler Master case in our ranked Dragons competition!

Reach the top of the closed beta leader boards by August 5th (that's monday) GMT 12:00 and you'll make all of your friends jealous. If you don' have a beta key yet, you can get on if you preorder on Steam or on the Larian Vault -
https://www.larianvault.com/

Good luck!!!

First Prize: A Dragon Commander airbrushed Coolermaster case, optionally also signed by the team.

Second Prize: An English/French/whatever Boxed copy of Divinity: Dragon Commander signed by the entire team, plus one of the very last Divinity Anthology Boxes in existence also signed by the entire team.

Third Prize: An English/French/whatever Boxed copy of Divinity: Dragon Commander signed by the entire team.

Alas, my game versus humans is too terrible for me to qualify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The leader boards seem to consist of six people so far. Is that right? Those are some pretty good odds, maybe I should compete despite not being very good at multiplayer strategy games.

Edit: one of them is Octaaf. Come on, that's not fair.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Another patch has dropped. This is the home stretch. Preloading of the full game will probably start on Monday, when the keys for the Preorders/Kickstarter are sent out.

Swen posted:

I'm a bit late with the changelist but here it is. There'll be one more on monday I think and then we're good to go for release - finally ! smile

Changelist 1.0.173.9727

- Fixed issue where cards could be interchanged in the prepare battle stage, causing a desync
- Fixed a lot of crashes concerning poly-morphed units
- Fixed positioning of tool-tips in strategy phase
- Added new sound-banks
- Fixed issue where sounds of dragon fireballs suddenly disappear
- Fixed crash where everybody retreats from battle
- Huge performance update for strategy AI
- Added new game cursor
- Bombs are no longer target-able with skills
- Fixed filtering on cards in card menu
- Prepare battle UI shows your current gold amount now
- Leaderboards will correctly refresh now
- Allow scrolling for friend leaderboards
- Tooltips show correct cooldown now
- Fixed desync concerning dragon combat
- Fixed rare crash with infantry in kamikaze mode
- Russian / Polish / Korean keyboards work now in the game
- Fixed saving of advanced settings in MP advanced options
- Fixed several stability and performance issues

Have fun & good luck on the leaderboards!

One change in a recent patch: The Devastator's Movement Points on the strategy map have been increased from 1 to 2.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 3, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I have tweaked the OP, replacing a bunch of outdated images and old information. I should have done that weeks ago, not 2 days before release. Oh well.

Apparently pre-loading of the game - if you ordered through Steam is now possible. Can someone check? I pre-ordered through the Kickstarter.

Not Female
Sep 17, 2006
What the name implies.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Apparently pre-loading of the game - if you ordered through Steam is now possible. Can someone check? I pre-ordered through the Kickstarter.

Yup, pre-loading through Steam right now. Download clocks in at 9.7 GB.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Hope they get the Steam keys out to the people who did the Vault preorders soon, in that case. My internet is terrible and it'd be nice to have it ready by the time the game is available.

e: Larian just got their first review of the game, from...IGN Russia. :ussr:

Google Translate posted:

Dragon Commander - a rare example of an organic alloy of various genres. Diplomacy, dialogue, plenty of choice, a large-scale strategy and tactical battles raging - Here are all the best that typically offers PC-game design. This game is really building confidence Larian, and along with it - and hope that the following parts of the Divinity all will be well.

Here's the review itself, though yes, it is in Russian.

They liked the characters and the interactions a lot but their one complaint with the story was:

quote:

Frustrating is that, despite the non-linearity of the campaign, the outcome of history, as warned in all interviews Sven Vincke, strictly spelled out in advance. Important events at the end of each course are shown as funny headlines in the local newspaper, but with so many kinds of elections Dragon Commander would not prevent the epilogue in the spirit of Fallout.

quote:

Full game includes the movement of figures on the global map, and RTS-scale battles, but it was a duel of cruise missile commanders with knapsacks on their backs Dragon Commander is isolated from conventional network strategies.
Dragons Cruise missiles with jetpacks knapsacks!

In the end, they gave it a 9.0, so :woop:

Djeser fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 4, 2013

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Really excited for this game. Also I'd like to say to Stabbey that if it wasn't for your LP's I'd never have even known of this series and now Larian is one of my favorite game devs. Thanks for all your hard work in doing those and showing what great games they make!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Russian IGN gave this 9/10. Admittedly, it's IGN, but still.

http://ru.ign.com/review/3884/review-dragon-commander

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I think I'll make this post the one where I collect various reviews. I will also be doing a review of my own. In the meantime, here is the launch trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvnLAimI9PQ

33 (37) Reviews, Average rating: 8.13 / 10

Reviews:
  • IGN - Russia (Russian) - 9 / 10

quote:

Dragon Commander – редкий пример органичного сплава самых разных жанров. Дипломатия, диалоги, богатый выбор, масштабная стратегия и свирепые тактические бои – здесь собрано все лучшее, что обычно предлагает PC-геймдизайн. Такая игра действительно укрепляет веру в Larian, а вместе с ней – и надежду на то, что со следующими частями Divinity все будет хорошо.
  • Games.on.net - Recommended (No Numerical score)

quote:

Dragon Commander is a hearty strategy title that’s both entertaining and challenging. The RPG elements could be a tad better, but ultimately they serve their purpose well by engaging you in the ‘why’ of your bid for world domination, although the single-player doesn’t have much replay value to it. The tactical battles are quick and intense, and they allow you to beat the odds if you’re caught out. The only problem is, you can only fight one battle yourself so choose wisely.
  • The Controller Online - 8 / 10

quote:

Divinity: Dragon Commander does a great job of mixing styles to create a fresh new take on the strategy game. Purists may feel it doesn’t go deep enough in any one area, but its different layers come together to make for an ultimately fun and complete game. If you’re looking for a truly different strategy game, be sure to grab Dragon Commander.
  • Entertainment Buddah - 8.5 / 10

quote:

Divinity: Dragon Commander deserves serious praise for its ability to create a game that blends three distinct genres in a meaningful and well-realized way. Thanks largely in part due to expert writing, balancing, and finely tuned wit, Dragon Commander soars above the competition.
  • Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

quote:

Cramming all of these drastically different elements into a single experience is pretty impressive on its own. But even more impressive is that they all work really well, and that there really isn’t much skimping on any of the three fronts.
  • Softpedia - 9 / 10

quote:

Divinity: Dragon Commander is a great title in what seems to become a good year for strategy games. Every piece of the experience works as intended and the mix of grand strategy, tactical battles, card use and resource management creates a huge number of potential paths to success and almost infinite replayability. The only real problem with Divinity: Dragon Commander is that it requires a bit of time to learn the most interesting and effective strategies and will then tie up even more of a gamer’s time with its obvious quality.
  • 6aming.com - 3.75 / 5

quote:

Divinity: Dragon Commander is enjoyable to say the least. The few minor quirks and issues could be easily overlooked by some, while others may find them to be major problems. A dry story line is saved by brilliant characters and gameplay that will no doubt have a dedicated following surrounding it. If you are looking for something different that will last you for some time, I would give Divinity: Dragon Commander a chance.
  • The Quest Gaming Network - 9 / 10

quote:

In the end, Divinity: Dragon Commander is a well made game, though at times can a little frustrating on the RTS map. Once you learn the basics of the game, the rest falls into place. This is not a game where you can simply pick up and play, you really need to plan your moves, thinking a few turns ahead to get the upper hand. With the choices in the campaign, there is some replay value, but you’ll spend most of your time in skirmishes and multiplayer. Few negatives make this game a must buy for any strategy fan, and one I know I will be playing for a while to come.
  • Cram Gaming (With video review) - 8.5 / 10

quote:

As a game, for non RTS fans, there’s something fun and quite accessible here – although requiring a bit more attention than your typical action game. On easier settings it’s quite possible to tear up the opposing forces with the dragon and ignore most of the tactical elements. On tougher settings, the RTS approach comes into its own with the dragon being used as additional force to boost the army rather than an instant win mechanic. There’s a neat balance of gameplay styles which makes Divinity Dragon Commander stand out. If you are an RTS fan, then this is well worth checking out as there’s lots to do and a cool game on offer here that will keep you entertained to the end of days.
  • Haas Gaming - 7.5 / 10

quote:

The Extraordinaire:
    -- Good Aesthetics/Personality
    -- Dragon Combat feels good
    -- Conquest and Politics Great
    The Extraordinarily Bad:
    -- Small unit building pool
    -- Map Layout Limiting
    -- Unpredictable Auto-resolve
  • Games Radar - 4 / 5

quote:

Dragon Commander is fun, challenging, and filled with decisions to make. You’ll experience a little bit of everything from choosing a wife to deciding whether your army could benefit from having zeppelin bombers. Every individual component works so well that you might even wish the game would have focused more on a specific area or genre. This doesn’t hurt the game, but like its aerial controls, it leaves you wanting more. Still, Dragon Commander manages to combine all of its different gameplay elements and delivers one cohesive experience that's highly worth playing.
  • Lens of Truth - 9 / 10

quote:

I could harp on Divinity’s little problems – a lack luster story, lip syncing issues – all day, but none of those are anywhere near large enough to take away from the fact that at its core, Dragon Commander is an insanely unique and fun game to play. Pick it up for the multiplayer alone, everything else is just frosting. Oh, and did I mention? JETPACK DRAGONS.
  • Only SP.com - 6 / 10

quote:

Overall I’m left rather disappointed by my experiences with this game. I really wanted to like it, as it’s one of the only RTS games I’ve seen recently, but the RTS element was so fundamentally flawed that I ended up just auto calculating almost the entire campaign. It was good for a single play through, but for the little amount of entertainment time that offers, the $40 price tag is rather steep. Dragon Commander definitely isn’t the genre reviving game I was hoping for.
  • Indie Statik - Recommended (No Numerical score)

quote:

There’s no doubt that there’s room for growth and improvement here, and perhaps even an expansion pack or two, but Dragon Commander pulls off the seemingly impossible anyway. While the gameplay in the final product is a little more pedestrian and down-to-earth than the high-flying concepts put forward in the earliest preview trailers, all the core elements are enjoyable by themselves, but are interwoven well enough as to result in a truly coherent whole.
  • The Escapist - 3 / 5

quote:

Bottom Line: Divinity: Dragon Commander has a unique setting and interesting characters, but its real time and turn based strategy elements don't hold up to its narrative aspects.

Recommendation: If you're looking for a strategy title that features a heavy emphasis on character interaction and a more relaxed approach to the gameplay of the genre, Dragon Commander may be a good fit, but for those looking for something more in-depth may want to look elsewhere
  • Game Modo - Recommended (No Numerical score)

quote:

I can almost certainly say that you will never get bored of this if you’re a fan of strategy. Even as a strategy at core this as a lot to offer both to newcomers and long-term fans of the genre. From the great take on politics to the character development of your generals and wife. The turn based strategy of the map, with the use of cards, to the real time strategy of the battles. Everything has combined to make an exquisite package and I unashamedly say that I’m now a fan.

What makes this possibly the most important game I’ve seen or played this year is pure ambition. A twist from a RPG franchise, already a risk on it’s own, it has almost three separate games in one and does them all on a grand scale while offering great detail, visuals, writing and sound throughout. All of this was made on the budget of a single, modest sized, studio with no outside investment.
  • BeefJack.com - Recommended (No Numerical score)

quote:

Divinity: Dragon Commander has had an uncommon amount of care paid to its presentation – with pleasant audio and mostly pretty visuals, strong vocal work, extensive customisation, countless modifiers and political intrigue aplenty – all crammed into a campaign that can touch twenty hours, even without the random skirmishes and multiplayer. It’s a shame, then, that the RTS battles themselves aren’t just embellished – but saved – with the inclusion of your playable dragon character. There’s more than enough here for this not to matter, though, and for all Divinity: Dragon Commander’s surprises, perhaps the most welcome is the game’s worthiness of a place within your strategy back catalogue.
  • PCG Media - 93 / 100

quote:

I cannot deny, however, that whilst Dragon Commander can be laughed at for its ‘Dragons with jetpacks’ marketing theme it adopted through no fault of its own, it has to be lauded for completely surpassing the expectations of those who heard about it in its early stages. Each of the three major components fit neatly together, and they’re all fantastic in their own right. It works. It really, really works – and because it works, it’s possibly the most unique title I’ve played in a long while that hasn’t skimped on polish, visuals, or quality. It has everything, and it’s done everything well.
  • Darkstation.com - 4.5 / 5

quote:

My biggest worry with Dragon Commander was that it would feel too disjointed by having so many different components of gameplay, but I didn’t feel like that was the case for most of the campaign. Very few games manage to combine genres while doing justice to them, so it’s impressive that Larian was able to do so with genres synonymous with depth. Divinity: Dragon Commander is an excellently written and polished blend of action, RPG, and strategy that delivers on each front without feeling disjointed or glaringly weak in any one area. It’s a game in which each component meshes together well as a whole package, and the end result is a fantastic genre mixing title that is both entertaining and thoughtfully constructed.
  • Playonix - 4.5 / 5

quote:

If you are already interested in turn-based games like the Civilization series then Divinity: Dragon Commander brings a faster-paced military-oriented game that offers more variety in achieving a combat victory as well as narrative that has humorous characters and, while not spectacular, gives something for the player to think about.
  • Gamestar (German) - 81 / 100

quote:

Grafisch brennt Dragon Commander dabei ein nettes Effektfeuerwerk ab, die Einheiten und Landschaften könnten aber detaillierter sein. Umso gelungener sind dafür die Räumlichkeiten der »Raven«, die in wunderbar stimmigem Fantasy-Steampunk erstrahlen. Dazu gesellt sich ein bombastischer Soundtrack, der von angespannten Verhandlungen bis zu explosiven Schlachten jeden Moment passend untermalt.
  • Ariablarg.tv - 7.5 / 10

quote:

Some aspects of Divinity: Dragon Commander suffer from Larian’s over-ambition. Any of the elements would do well in a combination of two or three, sacrificing just a bit of content for polish in other areas of presentation. Dragon Commander tries to be more than a little bit of everything, and in the end dulls some of the gleaming potential the game’s many layers have on their own. However, the multi-tiered assault on the senses and brain meats of the player make for an experience that’s more immersive than a lot of other modern game offerings and really makes you feel like you’re in the thick of things. Check out Divinity: Dragon Commander if you’re willing to lose yourself in an off-beat fantasy world for a bit and can forgive a game that ends up being okay at a lot of things rather than polishing a small handful of features.

Or if you can even begin to fathom how cool it is to be a dragon with a jet pack.
  • Financial Post - 8 / 10

quote:

Regardless, I know that as a casual fan (if not a full-blown enthusiast) of all the genres in Dragon Commander‘s mix I came away having a blast.
  • GameRant.com - Recommended (No Numerical score)

quote:

Divinity: Dragon Commander definitely shouldn’t be missed for fans of real-time strategy, excelling at the art of tense and exciting battles where planning and in-depth knowledge of available resources is essential. If you were only really interested in the story and RPG elements then the game will most likely leave you feeling a little dissatisfied, but you can always blow up some zeppelins and then fly away into the sunset to cheer yourself up.
  • PC Games N - 8 / 10

quote:

Though the diverse phases of turn-based, real-time and political shenanigans all compete for attention, Larian Studios has managed to tie them altogether into interlocking systems rather than leaving them as intriguing, yet disparate elements. There’s a lack of focus, and the turn-based portion of Dragon Commander could have benefited from a greater level of fleshing out, but the whole experience remains highly entertaining from start to finish. Rather than merely being a silly break from Larian’s action RPGs, this is one of the studio’s strongest titles. And let us not forget, it features dragons with jetpacks, and that’s just wonderful.
  • IGN Review Commentary Video - 7.8 / 10

quote:

As I floated high in the sky, surveying the land while my vast hordes of soldiers marched uncontested towards my foe's final citadel, the occasional control woes and frayed edges I encountered along the way didn't seem quite as glaring as they initially had. For whatever else Dragon Commander is, it's also a game that puts big issues on the main stage, then lets us reap the rewards and shoulder the consequences of their decisions without moral judgment. For that reason alone, it's worth a look.
  • Monster Vine - 4 / 5

quote:

Divinity: Dragon Commander doesn’t do anything game changing and it feels a bit of a jack of all trades sort of game, but everything it does it does well and it’s a complete blast to play.
  • Pixel Judge - 4 / 5, 4.5 / 5, 4 / 5 ( 4.17 / 5 )

quote:

In conclusion, I shouldn't like this game. I shouldn't encourage such shoddy game mechanics, nor should I approve of style over substance to such a degree. Yet I cannot help but have so much drat fun playing Dragon Commander. Allowing you not only to play as a dragon, but also role-play as a dragon results in an enormous amount of chaotic immersion, a strange mix between incredulous excitement and story-driven urges. The various choices you make throughout the game are sometimes silly, sometimes serious, but as you play more, you begin to become thoroughly invested in them, creating an image of the emperor you wish to be - whether or not you succeed in your goal. Ultimately, it is a question of personal taste, as with all games but even more so in this case. Are you able to stomach slightly dated graphics and unpolished gameplay for an interesting premise and exciting setting? Are you a fan of Funtasy and Steampunk? Ask yourself these questions, and if the answer is affirmative to both - then your choice will be a no-brainer. This is an excellently fun romp, an entertaining adventure that will keep a smile on your face as you vomit fire onto airship-flying imps.
  • inc gamers.com (Inc Gamers Video playthrough) - 8 / 10

quote:

Despite the difficulties associated with embarking on such a genre-hopping title, Larian has created a unique, engrossing combination of strategy, political choice and rapid battlefield command. That they’ve managed to produce something able to compete with the Civilizations and Total Wars of this world on the budget of a much smaller studio makes this game something of a minor miracle. Amidst the wealth of strategic options available to PC players this year, Dragon Commander should not be overlooked.
  • Edge Online - 7 / 10

quote:

It’s very silly, Dragon Commander. It’s a game in which you legislate on universal healthcare and fair trade before beating your scaled, leathery wings across a battlefield. But it hangs together because its distinct strands feed into one another just enough, even if that relationship is as crude as a dialogue tree leading to you gaining a stat-altering card that you can play during the campaign phase. Decisions have consequences in Dragon Commander, and that’s something any budding leader, dragon or not, needs to know.
  • Dealspwn - 8 / 10 (Editor's Choice!)

quote:

The Short Version: Dragon Commander is, for me, this year's Dragon's Dogma: title that's not afraid to be enterprising and cross boundaries. It's a glorious, hulking leviathan of a game. Bits of it are a little scuffed, but somehow Larian have managed to create a chaotic sort of cohesion. A game that's both silly and yet thought-provoking, a little inconsistent yet wildly ambitious, Dragon Commander is guaranteed to leave you with a big smile on your face.
  • Gamespot - 8 / 10

quote:

Divinity: Dragon Commander is a gem. The flaws are overshadowed by the role playing, the politics, the humor, and of course, the dragon in a jetpack. You may not have ever dreamed of a grand strategy game in which the generals are steampunk dragons, and you can marry a skeleton. Thankfully, someone at Larian did, and the end result is a lot of fun.
  • Destructoid - 7.5 / 10

quote:

Divinity: Dragon Commander is a prime example of a game being bigger than the sum of its parts. The RTS elements are a bit rough, but at least it's possible to control a dragon with a freaking jetpack to blow stuff up, while the boardgame-esque territory map requires players to think of the big picture. Talking to the colorful cast of NPCs aboard the Raven in between turns in single-player was easily one of my favorite non-dragon parts of the game and really highlights the writing and wit that the Divinity series has come to be known for. The tutorial needs a lot of work and the game isn't very friendly to colorblind players, but Divinity: Dragon Commander will certainly unleash the dragon strategist in all of us.
  • Angry Joe - 7 / 10 (plus Bad rear end Seal of Approval)

quote:

What you'll like...
    -Unique & Interesting Blend of RPG, Strategy & Action Mechanics.
    -Branching Personality Storylines.
    -Fun Politics & Policy Making Decisions
    -Fantastic Voice Acting
    -You are a Dragon w/ a JETPACK

What you'll HATE...
    -RTS Element not up to par with competition
    -Uninspired Unit Designs
    -MUST ZERG RUSH or LOSE.
    -Learning Curve w/ Poor Tutorial.
    -No Climactic Battle.
    -Chapter 3 Tech Balancing Issues.
  • PC Powerplay Australia - 8 / 10

quote:

As a piece of entertainment, Dragon Commander is a great success. It’s endearing and, at times, laugh out loud funny. But it goes beyond its slick presentation to provide a truly inventive game. Its elements work to produce a whole that is greater than the sum of their parts and is certainly one of the freshest strategy games out there.
  • Anything Geek Reviewed - 8.8 / 10

quote:

Not only does the game tell a story well, it has a great story to tell in a world full of wonderful things to discover. I’ve often found the Divinity games to be undervalued due to bugs or lack of publicity, but in the end, the developers of this game know what they have. A hidden gem amongst the many dull copy cats out in the world.
  • Game Industry News - 10 / 10

quote:

Taken as a complete package, Divinity Dragon Commander is one of the best titles I've ever played. There is really something for everyone here. For example, a skilled political operator might be able to use their silver tongue to keep things rolling along and let the generals handle the battles, even though they will run into situations where there are no totally good choices. A well-rounded player will probably get the most out of this one, though it will be a hard road no matter what. That's not a bad thing, but be ready to be sorely challenged.
  • Critical Indy Gamer - 9 / 10

quote:

Divinity: Dragon Commander is a game that seems like a recipe for failure, bringing in too many genres and ideas to the table. Seems like it, but it is not. Dragon Commander skilfully mixes everything in just the right way that the game borne of it is a wonder to behold. Not only has it been made in a way that it works, it’s also simple to boot. No poring over endless amount of information, Dragon Commander delivers everything to you concisely without excess. Most importantly of all, you’re a god-drat dragon with a jetpack!
  • [url=][/url] -

quote:

• [url=][/url] -

quote:

Metacritic - Divinity: Dragon Commander

10 * 1 (10)
9.3 * 1 (9.3)
9.0 * 7 (63)
8.8 * 1 (8.8)
8.5 * 2 (17)
8.3 * 1 (8.3)
8.1 * 1 (8.1)
8.0 * 10 (80)
7.8 * 1 (7.8)
7.5 * 4 (30)
7.0 * 2 (14)
6.0 * 2 (12)
33 (268.3)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 8, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'm probably writing my review this evening - it's definitely a good game, and one I'd happily recommend. That said, the sky is the limit for a sequel (literally) as the final product ended up falling short of the lofty Homeworld-esque vistas of the very earliest tech demos for the game. The game is a little more down-to-earth and trad-RTS'ish than I'd have liked, but that's not really a bad thing, just not personally what I was hoping for.

Really glad to see positive reviews across the board, though. Good work, Larian!

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 5, 2013

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Keys are now available at the Larian Vault, for those waiting.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GOG isn't letting me redeem my code because it apparently expired on July 4th 2014. That doesn't seem quite right. Should I just wait until tomorrow?

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to
I've got some questions before I drop 40 bucks on a game I hadn't heard of last week:

How often do you make political decisions (like, how many decisions in a ratio to how many battles you fight), and how big of any impact do they have? Is it easy/feasible to repair wounded relations?

When some of those reviews mention how replayable they find the game, what kind of elements offer substantive change? Do different factions/combinations thereof offer more than access to different units/tech (if that, I haven't really been paying attention, I seriously found out about this game two days ago)?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

I've got some questions before I drop 40 bucks on a game I hadn't heard of last week:

How often do you make political decisions (like, how many decisions in a ratio to how many battles you fight), and how big of any impact do they have? Is it easy/feasible to repair wounded relations?

Political decisions come once every turn or two, and they usually directly reward you with a bonus card or perk from whatever faction you most directly pleased with your decision, and a slight favour shift with that race, and against whoever was opposed to the decision. You can (and probably should) patch things up with a race you've upset, and it can be very difficult to progress if you've ended up alienating a race that's dominant in a region that you want to expand into, as their opinion of you acts as a multiplier on the value of that territory, along with how many troops it'll provide you in combat, how much gold it produces, etc.

If you follow your heart/personal ideology consistently, you'll probably end up with the unwavering support of a couple of races, while rendering large chunks of the map effectively worthless, meaning that your strategy will have to adjust to favouring large-scale naval assaults against enemy capitols, rather than working your way across the land. Sometimes such decisions come directly from your generals, like one of your female generals demanding gender-equal pay. Go along with it and she'll have better stats in combat (you can only personally fight one battle a turn, and any others need to be assigned to generals) but at a larger cost in gold.

With each playthrough, your choice of queen results in a side-story dedicated to her, plus a whole bunch of secondary political issues related to her race. Given how much it can effect your progression on the campaign map, it does lend it quite a bit of replay value.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

When some of those reviews mention how replayable they find the game, what kind of elements offer substantive change? Do different factions/combinations thereof offer more than access to different units/tech (if that, I haven't really been paying attention, I seriously found out about this game two days ago)?

There are three types of decisions to make: Council decisions, General Decisions, and Queen decisions. All of them tend to have political implications, but I think only the Council decisions directly affect your popularity with the races. EDIT: Almost all decisions affect the popularity of one or more races, but only the council ones affect all 5 races. You usually make one decision each turn, sometimes more than one, and in rare cases, no decisions come up on a turn. I'm like 39 turns in and I think I've only seen like 2 or 3 times when there was NO decision to be made (after the tutorial chapter, that is). The ratio is pretty close to 1 Decision: 1 Battle. Aside from the first chapter, the decisions you are presented with are random. I loaded an autosave from the start of Chapter 3 and was presented with a different thing than happened the first time I played that turn.

You won't be able to please all factions all the time, I think, but taking a Queen from a faction you're less aligned with will help mitigate some of the effects of policies they don't like. Most adjustments from decisions are +/- 5, +/- 10 at most, and there's so many that it's not hard to turn things around a bit. There's also a spoilerish way to adjust your faction status as well.

The tech is the same, 13 base units no special units, but they each have 3 upgrades, and you can choose to research units and upgrades in different orders, or use a different Dragon type, which will affect your playstyle. Of course, the way the strategy map battles play out also alters how the campaign goes. There's a "Custom Campaign mode" that it like single-player, but it strips out the first and last chapter and lets you choose the campaign map the game plays out on. The rest is there: You choose a Dragon, a Princess and a map, and get to work. The political decisions and interactions with queen and generals are still in that Custom Campaign mode. I think the story-based spoilerish thing is not.

Faction arcs aren't actually labelled as such, it's actually not possible to tell the difference between a faction arc and regular decision, except that faction arc decisions only show up when your popularity with a race is high enough. I think that you can have more than one faction arc going at a time if your approval with different races also gets into higher ranges, I'm not sure because I might have prematurely ended one by turning down the first decision.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 12, 2013

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
I really appreciate the responses. I like games that give you political choices to make that impact gameplay, so I think I'll look further into it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm pre-loading the game right now. I had actually never heard of the concept of pre-loading before, and since it's taking a really long time I assume it's not simply synonymous with 'early download'.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

I'm pre-loading the game right now. I had actually never heard of the concept of pre-loading before, and since it's taking a really long time I assume it's not simply synonymous with 'early download'.

No, that's basically what it is. It's an early download of most of the game files. However, I think Steam adds some extra encryption during the download.

EDIT: \/ And saving strain on Steam's servers.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 5, 2013

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Yeah, all it is saving you time for when the game actually releases.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

I really appreciate the responses. I like games that give you political choices to make that impact gameplay, so I think I'll look further into it.

Then you'll like this, because the decisions have a definite effect on gameplay. Approving of conscription lowers morale, but gives a permanent discount on unit production costs. Approving of universal healthcare improves morale, but costs you gold each turn.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Then you'll like this, because the decisions have a definite effect on gameplay. Approving of conscription lowers morale, but gives a permanent discount on unit production costs. Approving of universal healthcare improves morale, but costs you gold each turn.

Universal health care? So the thread title referencing troll abortions isn't entirely a joke? Huh. So it's not just military decisions you make, it's policy? That's pretty interesting.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Universal health care? So the thread title referencing troll abortions isn't entirely a joke? Huh. So it's not just military decisions you make, it's policy? That's pretty interesting.

Yeah, you have to choose many political choices, with each race having different views.

Elves are socialists/liberals
Undead are religious fundies. ( execute the gays, mandatory prayer )
Lizards are justice/law orientated I guess?
Dwarves are fygm libertarians/capitalists.
Imps are social anarchists.

If let's say your dragon is 100% pro gay marriage/legal abortions/recreational drug use/health care, the Elves/Lizards will love you, but the Undead/Dwarves will loathe you.

You also have to take into account Princesses/Queens. Each one has an arc that pits them against their country. The Undead one wants to live again, which is obviously a nono for the fundie Undead. So this opens an arc where you can side with your wife against her nation, or her nation against her for more/less popularity points.

So for example, you could be a hippie liberal communist dragon, marry the Undead Princess, then side with the Undead and tell her she should remain Undead. That should mean the Undead are not furious with you all the time for your "deviant ways".

Then there is also Generals, each has different viewpoints and may or may not agree with you. One for example is a staunch feminist, and believes women's rights need to happen now. If you agree with her, she'll be a strong general, if not, she'll work against you. Other generals might find the idea of a woman in charge to be demeaning, and may like you less.

And all this determines the army you'll be bringing into the RTS game, and the way the story goes.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Will the beta just convert to a full release? Don't really want to download the whole game again.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, you have to choose many political choices, with each race having different views.

Elves are socialists/liberals
Undead are religious fundies. ( execute the gays, mandatory prayer )
Lizards are justice/law orientated I guess?
Dwarves are fygm libertarians/capitalists.
Imps are social anarchists.

If let's say your dragon is 100% pro gay marriage/legal abortions/recreational drug use/health care, the Elves/Lizards will love you, but the Undead/Dwarves will loathe you.

You also have to take into account Princesses/Queens. Each one has an arc that pits them against their country. The Undead one wants to live again, which is obviously a nono for the fundie Undead. So this opens an arc where you can side with your wife against her nation, or her nation against her for more/less popularity points.

So for example, you could be a hippie liberal communist dragon, marry the Undead Princess, then side with the Undead and tell her she should remain Undead. That should mean the Undead are not furious with you all the time for your "deviant ways".

Then there is also Generals, each has different viewpoints and may or may not agree with you. One for example is a staunch feminist, and believes women's rights need to happen now. If you agree with her, she'll be a strong general, if not, she'll work against you. Other generals might find the idea of a woman in charge to be demeaning, and may like you less.

And all this determines the army you'll be bringing into the RTS game, and the way the story goes.

...I need to double check the specs on my graphics card.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I like the generals characterizations, but I will be fair and add in a couple negatives. The Generals don't seem to be as fully implemented as Larian would have liked.

They're always in the bar, but unless they have a request or a reaction to a previous request, all they have to say is their opinion on how the war's going, and those lines get repetitive over 30+ turns. You can also ask them about their opinions on the other Generals, but those never change from their initial appearance, even if the general's attitudes do change with regards to each other. The decisions also can sometimes adjust General's stats, but over many many decisions, I've only seen the stats change 3 times, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Also, once you reach the end of your Queen's character arc, it seems that she only has two lines that she alternates.

adamarama posted:

Will the beta just convert to a full release? Don't really want to download the whole game again.

No, you have to download the whole game again. Larian might keep the beta around to test other patches before they go live, though.

...I need to double check the specs on my graphics card.

If this is helpful, My specs are just barely above minimum, and I can run the game in full resolution at max settings with a bit of slowdown - and even then only on rare occasions.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 5, 2013

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

adamarama posted:

No, but they may use the beta app later on for beta patches.

If you want to, you could keep the beta around and hope that Steam will check and validate the files that are there and keep you from having to download them, but when Steam does preloading, it downloads the game separately as an encrypted file that doesn't unlock and install until the game releases. So having the beta won't help you if you want to preload.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rookersh posted:

One for example is a staunch feminist, and believes women's rights need to happen now. If you agree with her, she'll be a strong general, if not, she'll work against you. Other generals might find the idea of a woman in charge to be demeaning, and may like you less.

Oh it's more than that. She believes females are superior in every way to their male counterparts. She's a wonderful character because she makes it hard to push for true equality.

EDIT: \/ That's kind of what I meant. She does bring up good points sometimes as well. That's the part I hope Larian gets right with most of these characters. They all need to present fairly logical cases for the whole decisions bit to work correctly.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 5, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Mokinokaro posted:

Oh it's more than that. She believes females are superior in every way to their male counterparts. She's a wonderful character because she makes it hard to push for true equality.

Her first impression is the roughest. The great part is that despite her abrasiveness, she does raise very good points, and I found myself agreeing with her positions most of the time - up until she wanted me to sack half the male officers and replace them with female officers because the male officers were not doing a good enough job keeping their troops in line and not raping so many women.. I declined her request, insisting on having officers on the basis of merit, not a flat gender quota. She didn't take it well.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Preordered at the 11th hour, god drat you. Hope its good.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

And here's my review of the SP side of the game.

I opted out of the multiplayer pre-release stuff because they're making massive balance changes right up to the wire and no RTS survives its first encounter with online reality. Give that a few days and I'll dig into it.

Short version: It's good. Doesn't quite live up to the lofty goals the game set itself in its own teaser trailers, but they've clearly made huge sweeping changes to the design over the past 12 months - the fact that it's a coherent, solid and fun hybrid after all that is almost miraculous in itself.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Ugggh, it's not unlocking til 3am EDT? Goddamit, I was hoping to play a bit before I went to bed.

EDIT: It's unlocked on Steam, and I really need to find a way to fix my insomnia because jesus christ, this is not okay.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 6, 2013

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
You can choose the desired color of your units in the singleplayer campaign. I have been wanting this feature for goddamn years. Such a tiny thing but makes me look on this much more positively.

edit: Also, it seems that the manual spoils some plot elements. Might want to avoid reading the intro in it.

ParanoidInc fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 6, 2013

halwain
May 31, 2011
So what actually is in the imperial dragon dlc, is it worth it for that dragons on earth map ?

How long (roughly) is the single player campaign?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

What ever happened to the keys for the eastern dragon skin?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

halwain posted:

So what actually is in the imperial dragon dlc, is it worth it for that dragons on earth map ?

I did a playthrough without touching an RTS battle after the prologue and it took around 8 hours. Depending on how many fights you personally oversee this is going to be a pretty meaty game.

It also has a lot of replay value. I want to go back and stock up on dragon passives then partake in every possible battle myself. Your choice of wife makes a fairly significant difference in terms of the political situations you'll encounter, and from my limited testing it seems that the on-ship events are randomized to a degree - or at least the order in which they appear.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Oh man I completely forgot that I pre-ordered this game. I checked to see if I could buy it and download it today while I was at work and hey, it's already there. :v: Now all I need to do is wait 8 and a half hours and I can actually play it!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Just as a reminder, put spoilerish parts of the main story (i.e. Act III) into spoiler tags.

Congratulations to Larian, #1 on Steam's Top Sellers.

halwain posted:

Imperial Edition Features:
  • Golden Dragon skin
  • Dragons on Earth Campaign Map
  • Digital Soundtrack
  • Behind-the-Scenes documentary
  • Dragon Commander’s best kept secret: an overview of all the choices and consequences in the game (you’ll be amazed)

The Dragons on Earth map is something like 120 countries big. You'll want to use saved games to complete that one.

The single player campaign is supposed to be about 10-20 hours for a difficulty that is suited for you (still challenging). I had something like 150 hours in the beta, and am pretty experienced with the game and it was about 12 hours for me on a difficulty that was NOT suited for me (Medium was not challenging enough, except for a few parts in the third act), so this is one of Larian's underestimates. It'll probably be harder and take longer once I up the difficulty a notch.

There are also 4 princesses, 4 Generals with their own branching storylines, that you will want to see, but you don't have to replay the same story if you want, you can do a custom campaign and see most of that stuff with a princess of your choice on a campaign map of your own choosing.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wasn't there a way to slow down time to give commands in single player?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

DrManiac posted:

Wasn't there a way to slow down time to give commands in single player?

I think the +/- keys should allow you to adjust the game speed in single-player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there any persistence between campaigns or are they all strictly separate?

• Locked thread