Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

|Ziggy| posted:

What? Rushed? Are we reading the same manga?

I think some of the fights feel like they could have been drawn out a little, but that's because we have 4+ pages of intense staring. I wouldn't say anything in Bleach is rushed though.

It may not feel rushed because Kubo's pacing is so slow that things happen at a geological timescale, but when you break it down into actual events that occur not much happened. Thats why it may take you an hour and a half to digest a volume of One Piece or something but you can blaze through an entire Bleach volume in like ten minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Pooptimus Prime posted:

I do sometimes wish we could get a version of Bleach that didn't even have the mortal players. That chain of fights guarding the pillars (Kira, Hisagi, Yumichika, Ikkaku) was one of the most enjoyable streak of chapters/episodes for me. I just really like the different zanpakuto concepts and the idea of getting to see more of that and Soul Society operations/life rather than endless asspull powerups for Ichigo would be far more appealing to me.

I loved the fact that Kira turns out to be a stone cold badass and Hisagi hates his zanpakutou. It's a lot of character development from characters who were, for the most part, pretty bland and boring characters. The fights themselves were definitely memorable (or scarring, in the case of Coolhourn :gonk: ).

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

The fights with the pillars were sweet as hell. After the very first time we saw Kira's shikai we knew something was particularly off because that shape is meant for massive carnage, and seeing him implement it a few hundred chapters later was totally worth the wait. Gin's shikai is basically a gun. As a captain and vice captain team, they were basically a couple of executioners. Gangster as gently caress.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Around what chapters was that whole 4 pillar defense? I really want to read that poo poo again now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Vicissitude posted:

I loved the fact that Kira turns out to be a stone cold badass and Hisagi hates his zanpakutou. It's a lot of character development from characters who were, for the most part, pretty bland and boring characters. The fights themselves were definitely memorable (or scarring, in the case of Coolhourn :gonk: ).

Hisagi is one of the best jokes Kubo has ever written. A sword ghost from the land of sword ghosts, where every ghost has a sword and knows how to use it. And he hates his shikai because it is sharp, which makes it deadly.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

tsob posted:

Chad's fights have become so rushed you literally can't even see them anymore.

To be fair, Ryuuken and the rest of the Quincies almost certainly don't know about those guys.

I dunno about that. The Vandenreich DEFINITELY know about Ishida, considering Opie mentioned him (saying it was "impossible" that his arrows were stronger than Ishida's, which is :catstare: enough on its own), and the way Ishida was so dodgy about going to Hueco Mundo in the first place...

I mean I'm sure Ishida and Ryuken aren't evil, but I think they might know something here. if they didn't, and it was just like "here we have two good Quincy who have no idea about all these a-hole nazi quincy", those two would've shown up by now to be all "Who the gently caress are these guys!?"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

VJeff posted:

I dunno about that. The Vandenreich DEFINITELY know about Ishida, considering Opie mentioned him (saying it was "impossible" that his arrows were stronger than Ishida's, which is :catstare: enough on its own), and the way Ishida was so dodgy about going to Hueco Mundo in the first place...

I mean I'm sure Ishida and Ryuken aren't evil, but I think they might know something here. if they didn't, and it was just like "here we have two good Quincy who have no idea about all these a-hole nazi quincy", those two would've shown up by now to be all "Who the gently caress are these guys!?"

Every one has crazy relatives they dont talk about.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I'm hoping we see a discussion between Ishida's grandpa and YWACH.

Ryuuken called himself "The Last Quincy", and yet in the flashback there's an organized, aristocratic society of them. God drat, Soul Society, how many loving genocides does it take to get rid of these fuckers.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Danzou posted:

Ryuuken called himself "The Last Quincy", and yet in the flashback there's an organized, aristocratic society of them. God drat, Soul Society, how many loving genocides does it take to get rid of these fuckers.

From what we now know he most likely was referring to being the last Pure Quincy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is also entirely possible that Kubo hadn't thought up the ghost nazis when he wrote that part. This isn't really a matter of Kubo being a hack; changing a story as it goes along is how serial fiction works.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MadHat posted:

From what we now know he most likely was referring to being the last Pure Quincy.

Especially considering that it now looks like Ishida isn't a pure Quincy, that'd make sense.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MadHat posted:

And yet given how YWACH is from around when the SS were just a gang of murderous thugs, it's likely he (and the Sternreitters) are pureblooded.

Danzou posted:

I'm still thinking that there's some weird shenanigans going on with the Vandenreich being around, mainly due to the strange time limit YWACH has.

Oh, and the weird thing about Uryuu being conceived as an evil Aizen, that probably had something to do with Aizen originally being a good guy, until Kubo killed him off and decided to make him the villain.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Bleach 532

Thoren
May 28, 2008
She... she's everything Orihime should have become.

:eng99:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Please call him white.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Well that was surprisingly awesome. It makes sense that Ichigo's mom is a badass.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
:stare:

Ichigo's mom owns.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Holy gently caress. I feel like manga has conditioned me to automatically assume Masaki had just used some kind of Quincy spiritron mastery fuckery and absorbed the Hollow. But no. She had to be all loving badass.

God drat, and the woman that adopted her into her family was riding her rear end about not putting her full efforts into learning the Quincy arts?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

:heysexy:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I guess this is how Aizen and Urahara also get tied up into knowing what was the secret behind Ichigo.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Also, it was mentioned in the last thread, but wasn't white the originally planned name for Bleach? Because that's kind of a cool reference if I remember that correctly.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Flashbacks have somehow been the best part of Bleach. Really enjoyed this chapter.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang

VJeff posted:

Aizen Face.

There it is right there. That facial expression sums it all up. He's plotting the whole manga, right there. Don't underestimate that face, he just saw Ichigo's whole life flash before his eyes.

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

How does Tousen know what color is?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Lyrai posted:

A keen sense of smell.

Comedy Jew
May 30, 2003
i managed to have my account for 3 full years before getting banned.

Lyrai posted:

The same way he uses spirit computers...I'm guessing the Japanese have some strange stereotypes about black people that can explain this.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Tousen uses his hair to sense color.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lyrai posted:

Bear in mind, he called it the complete opposite of what it is. :v:

Serous
Jul 31, 2010
God, they should have canceled the anime soon, seeing the rise in quality after they did.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Why would White bite her on the shoulder if he had a free hit? That seems pretty dumb.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
This is clearly an advanced technique Masaki is using, it comes right out of Zaraki's guide to hitting poo poo you can't see or keep up with.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Oh. Oh my. :allears:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

RatHat posted:

Why would White bite her on the shoulder if he had a free hit? That seems pretty dumb.
Haha. Should I use my arm made of sword, or should I bite with my dumb teeth.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Bisse posted:

Haha. Should I use my arm made of sword, or should I bite with my dumb teeth.

Masaki used an advanced Quincy technique to force White to bite her like that. I'll hear no explanations that suggest Masaki being awesome in this scene is silly :colbert:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Syrant posted:

This is clearly an advanced technique Masaki is using, it comes right out of Zaraki's guide to hitting poo poo you can't see or keep up with.

Ichigo did the same thing against Grand Fisher. :allears:

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang

VJeff posted:

Ichigo did the same thing against Grand Fisher. :allears:

Don't forget Yama did the same against Aizen. Clearly a high level technique.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ah gently caress, thanks to Aizen, we probably won't see Isshin's bankai :(

It's cool though, because Masaki is just so badass.:swoon:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Now I understand why Masaki got killed by Grand Fisher. She was too badass for the main story :black101:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

To me, it looked like the thing stabbed her in the neck. Which is pretty much going for a free hit in my book.

Also that Aizen face. :magical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendoza
Jul 31, 2006
Him
If that thing has the soul of a shingami then which shinigami? Kaien?

• Locked thread