Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Silver2195 posted:

You've forgotten Starrk.

Right here. Kubo, bring this fucker back right here. If there is anyone who could have legitimately been turned by the power of friendship it's this guy and I want him and Shunsui to be lazy drinking buddies forever. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
He should have been around to get into a gun battle with the robot guy. :(

(Also, bring back the robot guy, we didn't even find out what his letter stood for.)

chumbler posted:

I want Bambi to go out on a less lovely note at least. Not that she was at all a sympathetic or deep character, considering the extent of her characterization is "hosed a dude and then murdered him when she was done", but what's going on currently is a little hard to watch.

Yeah, at the moment her fate of being murdered, mutilated, and still consciously suffering is more along the lines of something I'd wish only on certain Game of Thrones characters.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Oh god this fight is gonna end like Mayuri's other science fight isn't it? Jizzelle's gonna splash Nemu with zombie blood and Mayuri is gonna be like, "CHECKMATE, bitch :sun:" and pull out some anti Quincy poison that brutally takes her out.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

chumbler posted:

I want Bambi to go out on a less lovely note at least. Not that she was at all a sympathetic or deep character, considering the extent of her characterization is "hosed a dude and then murdered him when she was done", but what's going on currently is a little hard to watch.

The gently caress are you talking about? She got the anime equivalent of a viking funeral. Getting almost completely destroyed by the most :black101: thing to ever happen in Bleach.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Syrant posted:

loving Pokébombs.

The instant they saw them I actually said, "Pokéballs?" aloud.

Regarding Ulquiorra coming back, I highly doubt it, because he turned into dust and blew away. Resurrecting a guy who had his upper half blasted off is one thing, but bringing literal dust back to life seems like it's beyond even Mayuri's abilities. Only Orihime could do such a thing and I don't think she's powerful enough to recreate a guy like Ulquiorra. Her powers are limited by her reiatsu, and she had a hell of a time even healing a wound inflicted by Ulquiorra (That, and it was super-monster resurreccion Ichigo that killed him, whose reiatsu is even more vast than Ulquiorra's).

I'd have mixed feelings about him coming back. On the plus side, he's one of my favorite characters and I love his design, so it'd be cool to see more of thim. On the other hand, someone obsessed with and even embodying nihility turning to nothing is a very fitting and complete story for him, and coming back to life could sort of ruin the character unless there was a drat good reason that he was able to come back.

Still, one of my two favorite Arrancar coming back ain't bad, even if he is almost certainly going to be killed gruesomely yet again in the near future. If Giselle or her pets don't kill him, Mayuri will probably sacrifice/blow him up or something.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Fhate posted:

The instant they saw them I actually said, "Pokéballs?" aloud.

Regarding Ulquiorra coming back, I highly doubt it, because he turned into dust and blew away. Resurrecting a guy who had his upper half blasted off is one thing, but bringing literal dust back to life seems like it's beyond even Mayuri's abilities. Only Orihime could do such a thing and I don't think she's powerful enough to recreate a guy like Ulquiorra. Her powers are limited by her reiatsu, and she had a hell of a time even healing a wound inflicted by Ulquiorra (That, and it was super-monster resurreccion Ichigo that killed him, whose reiatsu is even more vast than Ulquiorra's).

I thought her powers were actually related to her emotions, which is why she can't use the cutting attack well.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Postal Parcel posted:

I thought her powers were actually related to her emotions, which is why she can't use the cutting attack well.

There's a point in the Hueco Mundo arc where Ulquiorra has stabbed Ichigo through the heart and he's basically dead, and she has severe difficulty healing the wound because of the powerful reiatsu that caused it, or something to that effect. She was able to heal it eventually, though, so maybe if she was in HM for a very long time (kind of like she just was actually :stare:) she could bring Ulqiorra back, but who knows?

Her powers are definitely limited by reiatsu though, given that literally every other power in the series is, and that if her powers weren't she could do things like reject Aizen/Ywach or bring literally anyone ever back to life at any time (her brother, for instance). Her shields and attacks clearly reflect her "power level", too, (e.g. her shields can't block attacks that are sufficiently strong and her attacks don't hurt opponents who are much stronger than her) so I would think her heals wouldn't be any different

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Oh god this fight is gonna end like Mayuri's other science fight isn't it? Jizzelle's gonna splash Nemu with zombie blood and Mayuri is gonna be like, "CHECKMATE, bitch :sun:" and pull out some anti Quincy poison that brutally takes her out.

I hope not, the conclusion to his fight with Szayel was dumb. The speech about what being a scientist means and the stab that lasted for like a thousand years or whatever was pretty cool, but everything leading up to it was pretty drat stupid.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Arrancar should have better opponents than the cannon fodder. This fight should be zombies vs. Ganju and the fullbringer crew.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Think we're really going to spend the next 4-6 months going over every single Quincy/Shinigami fight?

I'm kind of itching to see Ywach vs Squad 0 guy.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Thoren posted:

Think we're really going to spend the next 4-6 months going over every single Quincy/Shinigami fight?

After Giselle dies there are still those other 7 Quincy, and then there are still 3 stern ritter that haven't even been shown yet plus that Aizen lookalike stern ritter. So probably longer than that.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

slev posted:

After Giselle dies there are still those other 7 Quincy, and then there are still 3 stern ritter that haven't even been shown yet plus that Aizen lookalike stern ritter. So probably longer than that.

Heal Kenpachi and he can go back to skewering 3 Sternritters a chapter.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Bacontotem posted:

Heal Kenpachi and he can go back to skewering 3 Sternritters a chapter.

Oh, hey, yeah. Orihime totally should heal Kenpachi.

...Nah, let's shoot her up to the king's realm with Ichigo where she won't be able to do anything instead.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Maybe Unohana can heal him...:cry:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

CubanMissile posted:

Maybe Unohana can heal him...:cry:

Unohana's dead and she's never coming back :colbert:

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
She'll never truly be dead as long as Kenpachi keeps killing people.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CubanMissile posted:

Arrancar should have better opponents than the cannon fodder. This fight should be zombies vs. Ganju and the fullbringer crew.

I just realized where they're going to turn up. Urahara just pulled a spirit cannon out his rear end and directly referenced the Shiba cannon, which is where we last saw the stupid fullbringer ghosts if I'm not mistaken.

Squad 0 gets chumped and then Bach's attack is blocked by the ghost fullbringers.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

This doesn't make any goddamn sense. These things aren't people, they are a collection of thousands of souls that should have been sent to heaven or hell after they were killed

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Terror Sweat posted:

This doesn't make any goddamn sense. These things aren't people, they are a collection of thousands of souls that should have been sent to heaven or hell after they were killed

They're in heaven right now. Hell's got to really suck rear end.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

They're in heaven right now. Hell's got to really suck rear end.

I always saw Soul Society as more of a purgatory, with the city inside the Soul King's palace (if I recall correctly) being the actual heaven equivalent.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
For being a collection of souls they seem to be able to have siblings too.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

Those thousands of souls are toast. It goes:

Hollow---(mass devouring)-->Strong Hollow---->Mutual devouring with other strong hollows----->Gillian(Menos stage 1)---(If one of the souls in the Gillian is powerful enough to dominate the others)--->Adjuchas(Menos stage 2)----(eats a shitton of other hollows or menos)-->Vasto Lorde(Menos stage 3)

In the anime filler it had souls eaten by hollows being redeemed, but in the manga/canon sections of the anime, this is not the case. Souls devoured by hollows are gone. It's only the soul of the hollow that gets redeemed if a zanpakuto "kills" them.

As for arrancar, normally, menos have to keep devouring others in order to maintain their level of "evolution" or they can regress back to previous stages. Even then, all the other thousands of souls that composed the original menos body have basically been dominated and enslaved at that point. The dominant personality gets stronger and stronger each time it devours other hollows or menos, and the other souls that comprise it can only hope to regain influence if the dominant one fails to consume enough prey and regresses to the Gillian stage.

However, if a menos becomes an arrancar, in addition to regaining a large degree of their reason/sanity, their evolution ceases and they can no longer go up or down the ladder. At that point they're basically a new being, and the souls that composed them before are basically gone. This is why in the Hell movie/manga preview chapter you see Aaroniero and Szayel Aporro as themselves in Hell. All those other hollows/humans/menos they consumed before transforming into arrancar are history.

I'd link to a chapter where this is all explained but it's explained over a very long time in many different chapters and in some cases stated indirectly.

Fhate fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 25, 2014

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It's mentioned in one of Grimmjow's flashback chapters, for one example. He reaching the limit of strength for his current stage, so his underlings willingly let Grimmjow consume parts of them, so that he could continue to evolve, even though it would stop them from progressing.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

SgtSteel91 posted:

Unohana's dead and she's never coming back :colbert:

Until Mayuri gets involved.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Syrant posted:

Until Mayuri gets involved.

She's overcoming the balance of souls right now in order to help Kenny. It'll be like that one scene from Conan the Barbarian, and then Kenny will get up and cut down motherfuckers with renewed vigor.

Emery
Feb 8, 2012

Fhate posted:

I'd link to a chapter where this is all explained but it's explained over a very long time in many different chapters and in some cases stated indirectly.

I'd love to see where this came from, because I've been under the impression that while Arrancar have an individual persona that's dominant, the souls inside it are sort of just trapped, the same as in previous forms, and that becoming an Arrancar just makes them stable and unable to backslide into something else. This is just my theory, but I think that was why it was so important for SS to take care of Hollows while they're still not evolved, because not only do they become super strong and hard to kill, but also because killing an Arrancar releases potentially millions of souls into the cycle again at once, which can throw off the balance. It's also why SS never really went after Arrancar, because they acted as a sort of unwitting backup if poo poo got too real on earth and they needed to suddenly replenish the souls in the cycle on a massive scale.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

Emery posted:

I'd love to see where this came from, because I've been under the impression that while Arrancar have an individual persona that's dominant, the souls inside it are sort of just trapped, the same as in previous forms, and that becoming an Arrancar just makes them stable and unable to backslide into something else. This is just my theory, but I think that was why it was so important for SS to take care of Hollows while they're still not evolved, because not only do they become super strong and hard to kill, but also because killing an Arrancar releases potentially millions of souls into the cycle again at once, which can throw off the balance. It's also why SS never really went after Arrancar, because they acted as a sort of unwitting backup if poo poo got too real on earth and they needed to suddenly replenish the souls in the cycle on a massive scale.

The souls definitely don't get released. Szayel Aporro and Arroniero appearing in Hell exactly as they were (including abilities and power levels) confirms that, and a bunch of other stuff strongly implies that such is the case.

But yeah, at least as I've read it, hollows never really "trap" souls at any point. When they're standard hollows, they straight up eat them, exactly like one animal eating another, and when strong hollows "merge" into a gillian-class menos, it's sort of a bizarre, cannibalistic merging in which they're all trying to devour each other and collapse into one being. After that point its mind just slowly evolves from a buzzing cacophony in which the only common note is "eat people" into something resembling a personality and eventually even sanity, but it certainly seems to me that the many souls composing it are effectively cells in its body by then. I don't think menos and/or arrancar constantly feel or hear thousands of dissonant voices inside of them screaming to be free, nor does it seem like they're soul balloons that pop when they die, else resurrecting an arrancar should be utterly impossible (when it has been shown by Orihime and now Mayuri to be quite doable) and the arrancar persona should vanish upon their destruction (when Szayel and Arroniero show that they don't).

Some of that is just my interpretation, though. I think there's a lot of support for it in the manga, but hey, I'm not kubo, so if you just plain disagree with me, that's A-OK.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Fhate posted:

The souls definitely don't get released. Szayel Aporro and Arroniero appearing in Hell exactly as they were (including abilities and power levels) confirms that, and a bunch of other stuff strongly implies that such is the case.

This was from one of the movies, which aren't really canon.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lohli posted:

This was from one of the movies, which aren't really canon.

Syazel wasn't in the movie only in a special manga chapter which kubo did himself.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I misremembered then, I was thinking of the promo episode and the promo chapter, neither of which I'd consider canon either.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't want to live in a world where double hell isn't canon.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

How long has it been since weve seen a non arrancar hollow?

Theve just stopped existing.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

That chapter with Szayel is called Imaginary Chapter 1 so I don't think Kubo considers it canon. But then again all those negative chapters and both 00 chapters are considered canon so who knows.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Remember that little kid shinigami that Ichigo saved from a bunch of hollows at the start of this arc? Neither does Kubo.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

I think that would be the one that pretty much just dissolved when Aizen turned up in Karakura Town.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

slev posted:

That chapter with Szayel is called Imaginary Chapter 1 so I don't think Kubo considers it canon. But then again all those negative chapters and both 00 chapters are considered canon so who knows.

I've never seen the imaginary chapters or the negative chapters or whatever. Are they up and translated somewhere?

slev posted:

Remember that little kid shinigami that Ichigo saved from a bunch of hollows at the start of this arc? Neither does Kubo.

Kubo remembers. That was the spirit king testing him out or something :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Does White count?

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Fhqwhgads posted:

I've never seen the imaginary chapters or the negative chapters or whatever. Are they up and translated somewhere?

All of them are translated and up if you want to look around for them. The most important ones are probably the pendulum chapters.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

slev posted:

All of them are translated and up if you want to look around for them. The most important ones are probably the pendulum chapters.

I thought TBTP was part of the regular series, I didn't think those were called "negative" chapters. I've read those. I guess I just need to find the imaginary chapters.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Fhqwhgads posted:

I thought TBTP was part of the regular series, I didn't think those were called "negative" chapters. I've read those. I guess I just need to find the imaginary chapters.

It is, but Kubo gave them negative chapter numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Beef Waifu posted:

Does White count?

Not so much hollow as mad ghost science experiment.

• Locked thread