Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Mulderman posted:

That was so goddamn stupid. Just make the guy really REALLY weak against air or spirit particles or something.
This is just Gremmy 2.0 A completely BS overpowered ability, that gets beaten because the user is a loving idiot.
Sunglasses guy continues to be pretty awesome though. I kinda like how all the 0 Squad contribute a bit to this fight.

He might be able to make substances toxic, not make a person weak to a substance. So if he did that it might affect everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I really found myself cheering for the Quincy there, they just looked so interesting and Squad Zero needs to eat some casualities already.

Oh well.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
So even JoJo was worthless in the end. His hinted specialness compared to the other useless mooks amounted to a forgettable speedbump.

This is more painful to watch than the 2008 Detroit Lions. :cripes:

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
The most Bleach fight in recent history. Guy loses 100% because he described his powers smugly. Had he just stayed quiet Nimura would have handily died with no problems. Deceiving the audience with close freeze frames and bold text when characters learn horrifying details about their supposed demise only to have a handy backup plan that reveals they were never in any danger and they knew it.

End this poo poo already so I have one less thing to read every week.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's all a setup to show they have a zombie cure.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Kenpachi already revealed at the beginning of this arc that the quincy all love talking long enough for you to shish kabob them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The best part is that the previous chapter made it seem like lips aizen survived the sword that isn't made of silly putty because he had some special power. Nope! He didn't die when cut because he didn't die when cut.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Serious Frolicking posted:

The best part is that the previous chapter made it seem like lips aizen survived the sword that isn't made of silly putty because he had some special power. Nope! He didn't die when cut because he didn't die when cut.

He was 35μg short of the LD50 for extra-sharp sword.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Still loving everyone's bewilderment at A loving SWORD?! being effective. This guy should just cut YWACH down right here.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tonfa posted:

Still loving everyone's bewilderment at A loving SWORD?! being effective. This guy should just cut YWACH down right here.

Th-they're never effective! They're just barely better than kido!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Swords are just embodiments of the characters spiritual power, after all.

Uh, except when they're tools created and graded by a spirit blacksmith who could make them all faceless one-hit-kill monsters if he wasn't worried about going out of business.

The business that, uh, that he doesn't get any kind of payment for.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Teamwork? Woah. First they start using swords. Then they start helping each other during battles. These squad zero guys are breaking all the rules.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Wittgen posted:

Teamwork? Woah. First they start using swords. Then they start helping each other during battles. These squad zero guys are breaking all the rules.

They're an unstoppable force by virtue of not being total morons.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Advice posted:

The most Bleach fight in recent history. Guy loses 100% because he described his powers smugly. Had he just stayed quiet Nimura would have handily died with no problems. Deceiving the audience with close freeze frames and bold text when characters learn horrifying details about their supposed demise only to have a handy backup plan that reveals they were never in any danger and they knew it.

End this poo poo already so I have one less thing to read every week.

I actually liked that, because the squad zero guy even said "Thanks for the explanation." I laughed a bit at that.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It's somewhat fitting that if you are a shinigami who actually knows what the gently caress you are doing, you are kicked out of the club. Mayuri's constant smug loving around is the only thing that keeps him in the loser patrol, I swear.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Nilbop posted:

Swords are just embodiments of the characters spiritual power, after all.

Uh, except when they're tools created and graded by a spirit blacksmith who could make them all faceless one-hit-kill monsters if he wasn't worried about going out of business.

The business that, uh, that he doesn't get any kind of payment for.

To be fair, it's so sharp that it cuts through anything like butter. If you had anything but perfect control you'd end up cutting yourself. Plus it has to be carried in a huge backpack of jelly.

Like he explicitly called that out as why it's a failure, you can't carry it around, it's unfeasible to ever use. The 'put any blacksmith out of business' part was something people call a joke.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Mayuri was telling Ishida about how much quincy ramble on and talk too much and end up losing because of it way back in the soul society rescue arc, so Kubo is just being consistent.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

To be fair, it's so sharp that it cuts through anything like butter. If you had anything but perfect control you'd end up cutting yourself. Plus it has to be carried in a huge backpack of jelly.

Like he explicitly called that out as why it's a failure, you can't carry it around, it's unfeasible to ever use. The 'put any blacksmith out of business' part was something people call a joke.

Any high level bleach character is capable of cutting any other high level bleach character in half, unless there's a huge reiatsu gap. Making the sword super sharp doesn't really make much of a difference.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Prison Warden posted:

It's somewhat fitting that if you are a shinigami who actually knows what the gently caress you are doing, you are kicked out of the club. Mayuri's constant smug loving around is the only thing that keeps him in the loser patrol, I swear.

Loser patrol? Mayuri has only ever lost to Ishida. In fact, Mayuri was the first captain to lose to a quincy. He was years ahead of his time.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I haven't read the new chapter yet, but I'm getting a very bad feeling that we won't be returning to Mayuri's Crazy Ghost Science Fun Time in Soul Society for a while.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Again, the "Domination" dude without his face shown almost certainly survived having a sword shoved through his head somehow and probably is manipulating the whole fight or something.

Unless Kubo is pressed for time and realized he didn't have time to give the guy a fight.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

This all just seems like a set up for Yhwach's right hand guy to use his balance power. I like to imagine it's going to do something really stupid like force the royal guard to play on the Quincy team.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

slev posted:

This all just seems like a set up for Yhwach's right hand guy to use his balance power. I like to imagine it's going to do something really stupid like force the royal guard to play on the Quincy team.
Balance? If it's something like that it'll be a Jojo-ish power where it's like

"Well, Teams have to be balanced. Since you've killed like all but 2-3 of us and there's like 6 of you, my power instakills half of you."

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

They're an unstoppable force by virtue of not being total morons.

So many bleach fights have involved people deciding that they were going to have a one on one fight and asking their allies to stay out of it, only for them to either get chumped or to end up just barely scraping through it alive. It's strange that it's a new and refreshing thing to see people who actually work together to overcome something.

Has there been any other time in bleach where people have worked as a team?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

lohli posted:

So many bleach fights have involved people deciding that they were going to have a one on one fight and asking their allies to stay out of it, only for them to either get chumped or to end up just barely scraping through it alive. It's strange that it's a new and refreshing thing to see people who actually work together to overcome something.

Has there been any other time in bleach where people have worked as a team?
I thought Yoruichi, uh Ichigo's dad, and Urahara triple-teamed Aizen?

I mean they lost but w/e

slev
Apr 6, 2009

The captains teamed up pretty well to stab Hinamori

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Haja holy poo poo I just noticed Div 0 are Actually Teaming Up. Im Too used to lone wolf battles for me to notice.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Unless Kubo is pressed for time

The series has had that feeling since not long after the hiatus ended. It seems to be increasing in terseness at an exponential rate.

I only wish there were some way to confirm the all but certain feeling I have that he's being forced to wrap it up due to tanking ratings. I imagine that's something that polite Japanese society just won't allow for. I could be totally wrong (In which case by all means, someone correct me) but I get the impression that say, an American artist that gets gypped out of doing things their way is a lot more likely to speak out about how they were totally screwed by the system than a Japanese one.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Zogundar posted:

The series has had that feeling since not long after the hiatus ended. It seems to be increasing in terseness at an exponential rate.

I only wish there were some way to confirm the all but certain feeling I have that he's being forced to wrap it up due to tanking ratings. I imagine that's something that polite Japanese society just won't allow for. I could be totally wrong (In which case by all means, someone correct me) but I get the impression that say, an American artist that gets gypped out of doing things their way is a lot more likely to speak out about how they were totally screwed by the system than a Japanese one.

It's kind of bad form to talk about the internal workings of corporate politics in Japan and America. Even if it's fair criticism, you'd hate to burn any bridges unless you really, really got hosed over and wouldn't want to work with them again anyway. Pretty sure Kubo wants his work published in Shonen Jump forever.

I'm sure Kubo is being given adequate time to finish poo poo. Even if Bleach has fallen far from what it once was, it's still reasonably popular. Kubo might just be ready to wash his hands of the whole thing, and I couldn't blame him.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Fabricated posted:

Balance? If it's something like that it'll be a Jojo-ish power where it's like

"Well, Teams have to be balanced. Since you've killed like all but 2-3 of us and there's like 6 of you, my power instakills half of you."

I'm sure it's something like "because 90% of our forces have been getting steamrollered, the battle is pretty much entirely in your favour, by tipping the scales to my sside, I now get ten billion times more powerful" or something. I know it's Kubo, but I HAVE to beleive that Yhwch's grand strategy of "send all of our weak-rear end minions into the woodchipper" is part of some actual grand plan and not just loving idiocy.

Also, where is Ishida right now? Didn't he go with Ichigo's weird uncle's group?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zogundar posted:

It's really weird, it feels kinda rushed, but at the same time the regular pacing back during the Hueco Mundo arc was glacial, and the hiatus that you're talking about was more than a year ago. If they're trying to rush him to the ending, they're not doing a very good job.

Bleach still has bad ratings, but they're not as bad as they were during the Fullbring arc. It's staying just ahead of stuff that's actually getting canceled, at least. It seems to me that editorial talked to him about wrapping it up and made him take that hiatus to plan it out, but then he's been under less pressure since then because none of the new series are actually staying around to replace him. And if Bakuman is to be believed (the only semi-reliable source for internal Shonen Jump gossip) then Kubo has a notoriously lenient editor, so he just does whatever he wants unless something severe happens. Like, for example, Bleach's anime getting canceled, which is what really spurred the hiatus in the first place. It doesn't have an anime to get canceled anymore, so unless it seriously tanks in the ratings again, it's just gonna keep going for as long as possible.

As far as him getting screwed financially, while he's not making Oda money, Bleach is still really popular in America. I'm sure he's doing just fine.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Prison Warden posted:

I'm sure it's something like "because 90% of our forces have been getting steamrollered, the battle is pretty much entirely in your favour, by tipping the scales to my sside, I now get ten billion times more powerful" or something. I know it's Kubo, but I HAVE to beleive that Yhwch's grand strategy of "send all of our weak-rear end minions into the woodchipper" is part of some actual grand plan and not just loving idiocy.

Also, where is Ishida right now? Didn't he go with Ichigo's weird uncle's group?
Every Quincy that dies makes Ywach (I imagine this is supposed to really be Yahweh?) stronger if you go back and read his origin. He's some sort of weird mutant that is utterly helpless on his own, but everyone that touches him gets some sort of fantastic power/ability/luck, but it shortens the life span of weaker people, and anyone who dies after receiving his "boon" has all of their power go back to him which lets him basically move/see/feel/etc.

He's been doing this for a long time, and his strongest soldiers are getting killed off, and each of their powers is going back to him. Basically this whole thing is an elaborate suicide attack for everyone else. If they beat the shinigami and do whatever the gently caress they wanna do to the soul king the hard way it's gravy.

If all of his forces get wiped out, well, he's pretty much a god at that point and he cleans up himself. Which is what is going to happen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He will clean up, then Ichigo will start showing off and pull a few random powerups out of his rear end. Urahara may well pop in to actually end it, though.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Kubo talks about nothing but Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest on twitter, so maybe he just wants to end Bleach so he can play those all day.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

slev posted:

Kubo talks about nothing but Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest on twitter, so maybe he just wants to end Bleach so he can play those all day.

gently caress, I'll hunt some gigginox with Kubo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zexerous posted:

gently caress, I'll hunt some gigginox with Kubo.

His character will no doubt be far more fashionable and good looking than yours.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

chumbler posted:

His character will no doubt be far more fashionable and good looking than yours.

He'll have the best looking mixed sets I imagine.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Begemot posted:

Like, for example, Bleach's anime getting canceled, which is what really spurred the hiatus in the first place. It doesn't have an anime to get canceled anymore, so unless it seriously tanks in the ratings again, it's just gonna keep going for as long as possible.

For some reason I either never knew or completely forgot that even happened.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The newest volume of Bleach came out recently, and it was the number one or two top selling comic, I believe. It was probably a slow week, but I don't think Bleach is doing truly awful. It's probably just doing badly enough that Kubo can cancel it and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I'm really curious to see how they'll stop Ywach when he uses the most powerful Bankai in the Bleachverse.

Plot device, perhaps?

• Locked thread