Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Who was the last interesting character introduced anyway? There's been a couple of fun characters like Squad Zero, Mask and As Nodt, but I don't think i'd call them interesting. Same with the fullbringers, for interesting you'd have to go back to the Espada or something. Starrk had some sort of depth from what I remember.

Sword Guy blew my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd actually say Riruka was a pretty interesting character since she was the only Fullbringer besides Ginjo who had some sort of third dimension to them.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Tonfa posted:

Sword Guy blew my mind

I also loved his fight before it got retconned.

"Oh poo poo, he's using the sword like a sword! How do we counter this?!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Beef Waifu posted:

I'd actually say Riruka was a pretty interesting character since she was the only Fullbringer besides Ginjo who had some sort of third dimension to them.

What kind of broken person do you have to be where a character not being a flat,, cardboard cutout of a person qualifies them as "interesting".

A Bleach fan I think.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Prison Warden posted:

What kind of broken person do you have to be where a character not being a flat,, cardboard cutout of a person qualifies them as "interesting".

A Bleach fan I think.

Well it's not just that. She had a neat power, was the only member of the team who actively seemed like she was trying to be a good person even after they got their power ups, and she defected from Ginjo for whatever personal reason. I know I always was interested in what her whole deal was beyond like "I got mad when the guy I liked was a mean jerk to me." Same with GInjo who's a foil to Ichigo in multiple ways and I was interested in learning more about exactly what he did that earned him the ire of Soul Society and how he actually acts, there's a lot more to him beyond being a smug rear end villain, but due to how the Fullbringer arc turned out it just kinda gets dropped. I mean he's gonna come back at some point so that'll be answered probably, but those two I would say I was invested in until like the arc was really bad.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
WTH rooting for a BAD guy in bleach??? I rooted for orihime in the ulquiorra vs ichigo too. Like soul society is full of thugs with swords and mad scientists. The line between good and evil is so purposefully blurred in the story, what's your point?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Voted Worst Mom posted:

WTH rooting for a BAD guy in bleach??? I rooted for orihime in the ulquiorra vs ichigo too. Like soul society is full of thugs with swords and mad scientists. The line between good and evil is so purposefully blurred in the story, what's your point?

I rooted for Orihime because I thought she might do something other than cry about Ichigo.
I was wrong.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Are they really being purposefully blurred? At some point i'm sure they were but now I don't know. When's the last time Mayuri's gleeful torture of War Prisoner's was ever brought up? This seems like it'd be the arc to do it. Outside of the very beginning of this arc have the Soul Reaper's mostly successful genocide of the quincy even been acknowledged? It feels like Kubo is moving away from that and i've got no idea why because this is the arc to capitalise on it. It didn't just start this arc either, Mayuri's Mad Science and lack of Ethics became a joke in Hueco Mundo, and I don't think the fact that Yamamoto was all up for Quincy Genocide and Rukia's execution was ever remembered following the SS arc. And Kubo hasn't really done anything to make the Quincy's smpathetic although the Soul Reapers did attempt to commit genocide against them, it's such a missed opportunity.

Also, I too was rooting for Orihime in that fight because she had gotten lots of focus and screentime suggesting that she was going to do something. Then she didn't do anything and it was bad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
At the start of this arc, Mayuri murdered a bunch of people in rukongai. Yamamoto got mad because he didn't ask permission first. Then there is how Mayuri enslaved a bunch of arrancar and undead captains. Mayuri remains far more villainous than the supposed villains.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is nothing villainous about a man who shines like the sun.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

At the start of this arc, Mayuri murdered a bunch of people in rukongai. Yamamoto got mad because he didn't ask permission first. Then there is how Mayuri enslaved a bunch of arrancar and undead captains. Mayuri remains far more villainous than the supposed villains.

Wait, poo poo. I forgot about that or at least confused it with the Quincy's doing something similar. I should re-read the beginning of this arc because I only have good memories starting at around Part 2 of the Quincy invasion, and the beginning was a lot better. But the arrancar enslavement hardly counts because it was portrayed as a joke.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 20, 2014

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
the last interesting character introduced before Squad Zero was somewhere in the Huecco Mundo area. Who it was probably depends but that was the last time actual characters were introduced in Bleach. As Nodt isn't a character. As Nodt was a set piece to chump out Byakuya to show how tough the Quincy are before Byakuya came back and declared that, actually, the Quincy wren't even threatening at all and he didn't need to deal with him leading up to Rukia's Bankai. You can tell this because As Nodt doesn't actually have history. What do we know? He was a bedridden dude about to die and Ywach went 'you got the power now'.

Compare to Starrk or Grimmjow. Starrk got backstory about being so powerful he could never have friends, so he actually made one out of his own soul so he'd never be alone, but it turns out even that didn't work, and the first person who could ever approach him was Aizen. In only a few pages Starrk actually has a backstory, and part of it is the barely referenced part that even with the Hoagi and everything, the second most powerful Espada in Aizen's armor was a normal, non-Hoagi'd Arrancarnar. It shows why Starrk followed Aizen and why Aizen picked Starrk.Because Aizen could survive being near him, and because Starrk was amazingly strong.

Grimmjow's whole story about his buddies who he fought with, who he ate a piece of to avoid them reverting, because they realized they were holding him back and they wanted him to go further, gave you an insight into the character and explained why he was so rageful against Shinigami after the first encounter, because they murdered his friends.

As Nodt followed Ywach because 'here's some power'. That's about it. Why was he sick? Why did Ywach choose him? Who knows.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Are they really being purposefully blurred? At some point i'm sure they were but now I don't know. When's the last time Mayuri's gleeful torture of War Prisoner's was ever brought up? This seems like it'd be the arc to do it. Outside of the very beginning of this arc have the Soul Reaper's mostly successful genocide of the quincy even been acknowledged?

Well, Ishida mentioned he was fine with it, and thought the shinigami were justified.

That sorta sealed off any arc potential.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The only real character development in Bleach happens in flashbacks, and a flashback almost always means the character is about to die.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Bleach is the only shounen I can think of where he flashbacks are generally better than the main story.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Well, Ishida mentioned he was fine with it, and thought the shinigami were justified.

That sorta sealed off any arc potential.

What the? Are you sure this happened?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The_Frag_Man posted:

What the? Are you sure this happened?

Yeah, early on.

Still pissed about his grandfather, but he seems to put the blame solely on Mayuri's glowing shoulders.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, early on.

Still pissed about his grandfather, but he seems to put the blame solely on Mayuri's glowing shoulders.

Ishida's granpa was loving wimpy for a quincy apparently. 5 Hollows was all it took?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Stallion Cabana posted:

Ishida's granpa was loving wimpy for a quincy apparently. 5 Hollows was all it took?

He was also 80 years old at the time. Like, the Captain Commander is a ghost and, therefore, can have an old body without any of the downsides. The same can't be said for Ishida's grandpa.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

Probably Mayuri-modded hollows.

After all, they didn't eat grandpa's ghost.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

It's going to turn out Ishida's granpa is Hashbrowns de-aged.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Stallion Cabana posted:

And Squad Zero used to deal with Menos or something.

Bleach has the weirdest power scaling issues of all shonen. Well other than Naruto's bizarre "our generation is overcome by their generation who will then be WAIT NOPE turns out Madara and Hashirama were stronger than WAIT NOPE literal sons of god all current ninjas are poo poo tier"

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Spiderdrake posted:

And Squad Zero used to deal with Menos or something.

Bleach has the weirdest power scaling issues of all shonen. Well other than Naruto's bizarre "our generation is overcome by their generation who will then be WAIT NOPE turns out Madara and Hashirama were stronger than WAIT NOPE literal sons of god all current ninjas are poo poo tier"

It's not the right thread but the new generation over coming the last wasn't really talking solely in the terms of powerlevels in naruto.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Bacontotem posted:

It's going to turn out Ishida's granpa is Hashbrowns de-aged.

Haha, I'm backing this dude, it's entirely possible.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
No chapter this week I assume?

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
He's busy drawing the holiday special where we see Ywach's back story - he had a son who was born in a poor part of rukongai and killed on the sokyoku

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rynder posted:

He's busy drawing the holiday special where we see Ywach's back story - he had a son who was born in a poor part of rukongai and killed on the sokyoku

For a second I thought you said yamamoto and was all "That's way too interesting for kubo to do".

Bleach is kind of disappointing.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Bleach is kind of disappointing.

New thread title?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I am dreading the inevitable Ywach flashback.

I guess it could be cool if Ywach was born into the Holy Roman Empire or something but it'll probably be some dumb poo poo let's be real.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://www.mangapanda.com/bleach/611

my father...

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Well, at least he's not dead.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I hope Orihime does something useful like kick her powers into overdrive and revert Yhwach to a crippled baby. It could happen, she hasn't explained her powers to him like a dumbass yet.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Can we call the Soul King "Chrysalis Aizen" ?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Is Ywach saying the soul king is his father or is the soul king opening his eyes and saying my father?

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
Oh hey the Soul King died, does that mean that Ichigo failed his mission? That's cool, time to wrap up this manga with the villain winning.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Wow Squad Zero really blow, four of them got jobbed off screen without even showing off their bankai. But at least Monk guy isn't dead :)

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Wow Squad Zero really blow, four of them got jobbed off screen without even showing off their bankai. But at least Monk guy isn't dead :)

I guess Kubo had one of those weeks where he just wanted to be done with this poo poo already.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Tonfa posted:

I guess Kubo had one of those weeks where he just wanted to be done with this poo poo already.

Thank god for that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Stuff is finally happening again, oh my god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Wow does Kubo have a history of daddy issues???

Also

BlitzBlast posted:

Stuff is finally happening again, oh my god.

Don't get your hopes up, now we're gonna have 100 chapters of YWACH's "Zero Squad" fighting Ichigo's friends.

• Locked thread