Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
DrArlissLoveless
Mar 7, 2013

The white tiger seems to misbehave a bit and grab onto the trainer's forearm in a seemingly playful manner. I'm a bit torn here. Though I think that my immediate knee-jerk reaction to a tiger biting my forearm would be the same, I'm also not an experienced animal trainer. There must be some sort of protocol for dealing with this sort of behavior. I feel like negative reinforcement isn't the way to go with an unpredictable wild animal as dangerous as a tiger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvPmgk-mMHk

What do you think?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

How is punching an animal because it bit you negative reinforcement?

Lt. Chips
Feb 29, 2008

"No, mom loves me more!"
Either way, Archie will NEVER be impressed.

You put a bigass cat in water. If I know cats, they don't like water. What did you expect would happen Six Flags guy?

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

Because the OP doesn't know what "negative reinforcement" means?

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.

I assume that people who work with big cats get into that line of work because they love big cats, so he probably had a good reason for punching that big cat.

best friend massage
Sep 12, 2010

3 Tablets Daily posted:

Because the OP doesn't know what "negative reinforcement" means?

That's not negative reinforcement, that's punishment. Negative reinforcement is defined as the removal or avoidance of a negative condition that may occur.

Also, if a big cat bit me I'd probably slap it around too.

Pope Mobile
Nov 12, 2006

I guess Jesus would ride a Harley.

I see he gratuated from the Cesar Millan school of animal training.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man

He survived getting bit by a tiger so he probably did something right

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

It's really too difficult to tell from the video what sort of danger the trainer was in. It's a big cat and if it put his arm in it's mouth, then I could see why it may be defense.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

I wouldn't get in a tiger cage to begin with, but it seems like that dude is fanning the flames. I know when I swat my cat for getting too aggressive, she just comes back with a vengeance. And you can't just toss a tiger into your backyard to let it cool off.

That theme park is a shithole. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of animal abuse going on there.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Why is there a tiger at six flags?

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

Hard to see but it looked like the tiger was still holding his arm in its mouth whilst he was punching. What else was he supposed to do? Ask it nicely to let go?

Khanstant posted:

Why is there a tiger at six flags?

Some office monkey hosed up the order for tigerfish.

every
Apr 24, 2008

err

He shouldn't've punched that tiger.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

WastedJoker posted:

You're supposed to pet the Tiger and say, "Now kitty, don't do that"

Pope Mobile
Nov 12, 2006

I guess Jesus would ride a Harley.

A Sloth posted:

Hard to see but it looked like the tiger was still holding his arm in its mouth whilst he was punching. What else was he supposed to do? Ask it nicely to let go?

It's a cat. Anything short of playing dead will only make it worse.

Toriori
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Yeah, I doubt they let any idiot wander in and work with an animal like a tiger. The guy is probably trained to work with animals, what else was he supposed to do? I suppose the best damage control would have been to come out, and explain why he hit the animal (s/he had my arm in their mouth and to avoid escalation I need to hit somewhere sensitive to stun them and get free).

fyodor
May 27, 2004

friggin awesome

Clip is 10 years old apparently and the trainer was fired.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

To be fair we didn't see what the tiger did before he was punched in the face.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I'm no expert but surely trying to box a Cat's ears, especially a big one, is a recipe for disaster. The video is pretty short, so the full extent of the incident isn't clear but it's a bad idea to go for a midday dip with a tiger anyway. Is this a thing? I know trainers swim with Dolphins at Seaworld and such, but Tigers!?

Obese FYAD Reject
Aug 18, 2004

soul calibur screenshot

FizFashizzle posted:

To be fair we didn't see what the tiger did before he was punched in the face.

I bet he just wouldn't jump through the flaming hoop so he had to go to the timeout pool.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

fantastic

In my experience, there are times when it is advisable that you punch a tiger in the head.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

Looks like in the full video he was splashing water at the tiger. The tiger should have punched him... or it tried to. I can't see poo poo at this low res.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

I can't really speak for the video, because it's too short to tell us, well, basically anything at all.

But let's not forget that that didn't hurt the tiger. He can weigh up to 600 pounds and crush your bones with his teeth. That felt like nothing.

My girlfriend is a veterinarian, and I've seen her punch a young horse as hard as she could when it latched on to her, not because she was angry or "revengeful" or anything stupid as poo poo like that. It's because that's what it takes for a horse to really feel anything, because they are so much stronger and denser than us. It was a correction, similar to another horse lightly biting the young horse back, saying "Hey that's not okay."

Morally Inept
Mar 5, 2012

by XyloJW

I think a boot to the head would have been better.

Derkinstacker
Dec 30, 2008

It's a big cat, I'm sure a few punches on the nose wouldn't hurt him too much, considering in the wild they hunt things that would probably deal more damage in their death throes.
I can't tell from the video, but if it just suddenly attacked him, even if this wasn't the correct way to deal with it, I'm sure instinctively most people would try to fight it off in a similar fashion, especially if it's by surprise and you don't have time to think of the proper way to deal with the situation(I don't think acting dead has the same effect on tigers as it does bears).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

tighten up tone down tuen thuen

fyodor posted:

Can we get some s in the OP?

DrArlissLoveless
Mar 7, 2013

Civil posted:

I wouldn't get in a tiger cage to begin with, but it seems like that dude is fanning the flames. I know when I swat my cat for getting too aggressive, she just comes back with a vengeance. And you can't just toss a tiger into your backyard to let it cool off.

That theme park is a shithole. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of animal abuse going on there.

This was my initial point though I suppose I could have articulated it better. I simply meant that the tiger would (in the future) respond to the aggression with more aggression.

Splatmaster
Aug 1, 2007

I re-watched the video several times and it looks to me the tiger was reacting to the splashing of water. I'm almost certain that water in the tank is chlorinated or brominated, and it made the tiger's eyes sting and or burn- the motion of the trainer's arms/hands may have been connected to the burning, so it's response was to stop the blurry arms from splashing by chomping.

It's what tigers do.

The trainer is definitely punching the cat, but as others have mentioned it most likely didn't harm the cat, just got it's attention. It was also done in conjunction with verbally stating "no!" several times, I'm pretty sure a tiger instinctively flaps it's ears back when swimming around in water, so the trainer may have guessed the tiger wasn't going to actually hear him. I didn't get the indication the trainer sounded afraid or in a panic, but the crowd's reaction seemed to indicate it was getting scary.

The trainer is an idiot for splashing water in a swimming tiger's face.

FAT CURES MUSCLES
Jun 2, 2011

You're supposed to punch sharks in the eyes when they attack to make them go away, so I imagine a tiger is no different.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

"I'm sure a urethra could accommodate a 11.5 mm object, but it wouldn't get in there easily; it would take some cooperation from the insertee."

Splatmaster posted:

I re-watched the video several times and it looks to me the tiger was reacting to the splashing of water. I'm almost certain that water in the tank is chlorinated or brominated, and it made the tiger's eyes sting and or burn- the motion of the trainer's arms/hands may have been connected to the burning, so it's response was to stop the blurry arms from splashing by chomping.

It's what tigers do.

The trainer is definitely punching the cat, but as others have mentioned it most likely didn't harm the cat, just got it's attention. It was also done in conjunction with verbally stating "no!" several times, I'm pretty sure a tiger instinctively flaps it's ears back when swimming around in water, so the trainer may have guessed the tiger wasn't going to actually hear him. I didn't get the indication the trainer sounded afraid or in a panic, but the crowd's reaction seemed to indicate it was getting scary.

The trainer is an idiot for splashing water in a swimming tiger's face.

Thanks for your in-depth analysis of a 10 year old non event. Not to mention this was reported over a week ago.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-co...-punching-video

Splatmaster
Aug 1, 2007

Captain Backslap posted:

Thanks for your in-depth analysis of a 10 year old non event.

Any time.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

a sense of growing unease...

A Sloth posted:

Looks like in the full video he was splashing water at the tiger. The tiger should have punched him... or it tried to. I can't see poo poo at this low res.

"That was an old show we no longer do -- the Tiger Splash Attack -- where the trainers were in there with them," she said. "If you look at the video, you can see it's the old tiger exhibit, no longer used as a show venue."

You can't do the Tiger Splash Attack without splashing the tiger.

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.

Or without attacking it, I'd say.

wa27
Jan 14, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

My girlfriend is a veterinarian, and I've seen her punch a young horse as hard as she could when it latched on to her, not because she was angry or "revengeful" or anything stupid as poo poo like that. It's because that's what it takes for a horse to really feel anything, because they are so much stronger and denser than us. It was a correction, similar to another horse lightly biting the young horse back, saying "Hey that's not okay."

Did she knock it out like Mongo?

voltron lion force
Sep 15, 2010

Why are you making a thread every time you watch a youtube video?

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

Costello Jello posted:

I can't really speak for the video, because it's too short to tell us, well, basically anything at all.

But let's not forget that that didn't hurt the tiger. He can weigh up to 600 pounds and crush your bones with his teeth. That felt like nothing.

hey there veterinarian girlfriend buddy! Mine has a strong policy with animal training. Given the proper queues and training she's spent thousands of hours working with animals and doing behavior training. Its amazing to see the work she does with animals that have no respect for alphas. Commands it like a boss.

That being said, her policy has always been "I'll ask them to do something, then tell them to do something, and then make them do something" in regards to behavior correction. She'll ask the dog not to get into the garbage.. then she'll get increase the tone and volume for round two and if they still don't respond, she'll escalate appropriately.

This trainer, while fired for this, was probably fired because patrons saw him hit the tiger, not because he actually hit the animal. The trainer and the tiger both know their queues for "drop it" "release" and whathaveyou. If the animal wasn't releasing it, the trainer escalated appropriately.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

fyodor posted:

'"It's a video from over 10 years ago that resurfaced," park spokeswoman Nancy Chan said. "That trainer was terminated because he wasn't acting inside our protocols. We don't condone the behavior depicted in the video, whatsoever."'

Nice job racing to GBS with this fresh, hot news OP. I hope your popularity soars!

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

slightpirate posted:

This trainer, while fired for this, was probably fired because patrons saw him hit the tiger, not because he actually hit the animal. The trainer and the tiger both know their queues for "drop it" "release" and whathaveyou. If the animal wasn't releasing it, the trainer escalated appropriately.

Except the zoo fired the trainer for not following "our protocols." If you read the link, the zoo repeatedly affirms, while injury of trainers etc. is not acceptable, neither is punching of the animals...

Sorry, I'm not pro- nor anti-zoo, and a lot of the zoos around CA are absolutely loving horrible. Others are exemplary. The best conclusion for this sort of post is:

"Sometimes posters are unaware of what they're really posting, and sometimes they knowingly post things they know look like something they're really not to further some agenda," Stewart said.

"People assume things when they see things on the Internet," he said.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

General Bullshit Six Flags trainer punches a White Tiger in the face twice after it bit him - DID YOU GET THAT ON VIDEO?

If a tiger was biting me, punching it twice is the least I am going to do. I'd likely poo poo myself, piss myself then get eaten, not keep my cool and get the tiger off my arm like that guy did.

Nice sensationalist thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

I really hope I never find myself in the situation where I have to decide, "Do I need to punch this tiger? Is punching this tiger the thing to do right now?"

«3 »