Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
Wait, so Nick Oliveri is back on board to some extent? What happened there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I like how in that video the camera sweeps back over a sea of thousands of people, the band a few tiny dots on the horizon, and then somewhere you hear someone shout MEXICOLAAAAAAA!!!

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
I didn't think I could be any more excited but that song is incredible. I can't wait to hear the studio recording.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Wait, so Nick Oliveri is back on board to some extent? What happened there?
There's a photo of him singing backup with Brody and Alain. Based on what I've read, that may be the extent of it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wait Wait Wait.

We know there is only one test for a QOTSA drummer. And this is it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71bZk2K224Q

I think he actually captures the groovy feel of Dave's original recording better than Joey. :spergin:

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
Apparently Josh is one mean pool shark.

I love pool and Josh Homme, so naturally this is the greatest Facebook cover photo I've ever had. Not sad at all :colbert:

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I thought Joey was a fine drummer, but never found a proper groove, and his fills felt rushed and sloppy. Jon Theodore, who was in a band I never liked, actually nails all of the drum parts. It's pretty cool to hear the band sounds so tight again.

That said, I'm cautious about the new record. I felt the last three releases (I'm including Them Crooked Vultures here) had some great tracks but ultimately fell apart as albums. They all had three or four filler songs that were a chore to sit through. Josh needs to calm down on the falsetto, cut the filler, and lose a bit of the swagger he employs to hide melody.

If I am sounding harsh about the these records, I do love certain aspects of them. 'Suture Up Your Future' and 'River in the Road' are two of my favourite Queens of the Stone Age songs, so it isn't like he has fallen off as a song writer. Hell, it took me three years to realise how amazing 'The Blood is Love' was, so maybe I am just bad at picking them. That said, I really struggle to sit through 'Elephants', 'Caligulove'(that pun is ugh, too), 'Battery Acid', 'Someone's in the Wolf' and 'You've Got a Killer Scene There, Man'.

Please Josh, I would rather a short album than an album with filler. Please, be brutal with your editing. I'm curious about your rotating drummer scheme for this record, so my interest is there.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Besson posted:

I thought Joey was a fine drummer, but never found a proper groove, and his fills felt rushed and sloppy. Jon Theodore, who was in a band I never liked, actually nails all of the drum parts. It's pretty cool to hear the band sounds so tight again.

That said, I'm cautious about the new record. I felt the last three releases (I'm including Them Crooked Vultures here) had some great tracks but ultimately fell apart as albums. They all had three or four filler songs that were a chore to sit through. Josh needs to calm down on the falsetto, cut the filler, and lose a bit of the swagger he employs to hide melody.

If I am sounding harsh about the these records, I do love certain aspects of them. 'Suture Up Your Future' and 'River in the Road' are two of my favourite Queens of the Stone Age songs, so it isn't like he has fallen off as a song writer. Hell, it took me three years to realise how amazing 'The Blood is Love' was, so maybe I am just bad at picking them. That said, I really struggle to sit through 'Elephants', 'Caligulove'(that pun is ugh, too), 'Battery Acid', 'Someone's in the Wolf' and 'You've Got a Killer Scene There, Man'.

Please Josh, I would rather a short album than an album with filler. Please, be brutal with your editing. I'm curious about your rotating drummer scheme for this record, so my interest is there.

This is interesting. Suture and River are my least favourite songs, at least from Era Vulgaris, and with opinions I've heard/read over the past few years I feel like the majority of fans would at least half agree. Battery Acid is probably my second favourite song from that album (first being Misfit Love, jeez what a song). Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just fascinating. I do agree with Killer Scene, though.

Then again, the majority of my friends aren't huge fans, so I dunno. I could be way off. I'm rambling.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Lullabies to Paralyze and Era Vulgaris are my two favourite QOTSA albums by far. And I really enjoyed Them Crooked Vultures. I started listening to QOTSA when "No-One Knows" was their big single, and while the early albums are good, I just don't return to them very much. I probably listen to the debut and Rated R once each for every 10 times I listen to Songs, Lullabies and Era.

Am I bad QOTSA fan?

(Also I agree about Misfit Love, that's a killer song and my absolute favourite by the band)

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Without getting all PYF, I would argue that Rated R is probably their best record. It's so weird, so strange, but it always manages to hit a sweet spot between melody and noise. There isn't a bad song on it, and every track has its own, weird personality. Josh's melodies are strong, there is some great lead guitar in there, and it never treads water like a lot of later era Homme work does. A lot of people love Songs for the Deaf, and they should it's a really great record, but I think Queens do it best when they do it weird, and they have never been weirder than on Rated R. Having a guitar solo fade in and out, having a pop song with the strange country clang guitar sound, a weird Rain Song homage, and a collapsing horn section to close the record makes this my favourite Queens record by far.

Also, Misfit Love is good, but I would argue that it really takes a life of its own when it is played live. Jesus, that build up is incredible.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Besson posted:

Joey sucks the momentum out of so, so many songs. Particularly Into the Hollow and Turnin' on the screws. The former has a flat pattern that never takes off and the latter is brought to a near stop at the end of each bar. I would love to hear that whole album with another drummer.

I will say his lurching style works well on Make it witchu.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 2, 2013

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Besson posted:

Also, Misfit Love is good, but I would argue that it really takes a life of its own when it is played live. Jesus, that build up is incredible.

Totally right. This is my favourite recording. Josh looks out of his mind but it just sounds great. I've heard it live twice and its been my favourite song both times. And one of those setlists had The Bronze, so, you know.

You can tell they just love jamming to it. I've seen them all say in multiple instances it's pretty much their favourite song to play nowadays. Prior to Like Clockwork at least.

Tychtrip fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 2, 2013

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

tomm posted:

Totally right. This is my favourite recording. Josh looks out of his mind but it just sounds great. I've heard it live twice and its been my favourite song both times. And one of those setlists had The Bronze, so, you know.

You can tell they just love jamming to it. I've seen them all say in multiple instances it's pretty much their favourite song to play nowadays. Prior to Like Clockwork at least.

I knew that link would be the Henry Rollins show version. Pretty much the best version.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Misfit Love is good, but to me it's an example of a song that sounds more like Desert Sessions or TCV than QOTSA. It's hard to describe why. I think it's something to do with the guitar sound.

echronorian posted:

Joey sucks the momentum out of so, so many songs. Particularly Into the Hollow and Turnin' on the screws.

Into the Hollow is a song that I would honestly like to hear completely re-recorded. Again, it's hard to say exactly why, but I've just always felt like the sound of it completely betrays the songwriting. It sounds like some alternate mix you'd find on the maxi-single.

I'm also convinced it'd sound amazing with Lanegan on vocals, but maybe I'm just dreaming.

Bruce Snare
Feb 7, 2013

Besson posted:

Interesting. Someone's in the Wolf is one of my all-time favorites of QOTSA and I love the 4 others examples of songs you don't like!

I think the new track sounds loving boss and I can't wait to hear the new album :)

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
They're about 4 songs into their set in Argentine right now, click to listen!

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
Here is My God Is The Sun (audio only) from tonight's gig in Argentina.

I think the mix seems a bit better. There'll probably be a video up by the time anyone reads this as it was streamed.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
My day has been listening to that song on repeat. It's been a good day. So stoked for the new album.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZaUz7a3kAo

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

For a second I thought they had a new song called "Pepsi Music Argentina". The sequel to Mexicola :v:

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
I have never ever listened to QOTSA before, somehow I've avoided them for the past 15 (?) years. I have listened to Them Crooked Vultures and quite enjoy that. Would it be best to start with Rated R since it seems to be getting high praise in this thread?

Thanks

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Songs for the Deaf and Rated R, definitely

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Polegrinder posted:

I have never ever listened to QOTSA before, somehow I've avoided them for the past 15 (?) years. I have listened to Them Crooked Vultures and quite enjoy that. Would it be best to start with Rated R since it seems to be getting high praise in this thread?

Thanks

I think Rated R might be their most solid album all around and this is a good way to go. If you like the really rock-driven songs a lot, I'd suggest you check out their "S/T" album after that.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I think any of them are a fine place to start, I listened to Lullabies to Paralyze first and it's still my favorite.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I think Songs for the Deaf is pretty much the perfect album. I could listen to that album every day and never get tired of hearing it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Step 1: Listen to Rated R on mushrooms and have S/T ready to play next, followed immediately by Kyuss' Blues For The Red Sun and Welcome to Sky Valley to ride the rest of that trip out.
Step 2: Listen to SFTD the next day.
Step 3: Listen to LTP only after you've made a some really terrible mistakes in life.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
SFTD hooked me instantly and I've only gotten to love it more and more. Might as well start there.

I doubt any of their albums will turn you off, though.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Sir Lemming posted:

SFTD hooked me instantly and I've only gotten to love it more and more. Might as well start there.

I doubt any of their albums will turn you off, though.

Agreed, as soon as that scream came in on Millionaire and everything dropped in the first time I heard it I was hooked on the band. I'd definitely start there.

Also I love that new song. It's well and truly amazing, and I know that the studio version is gonna own bones.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
They have all the albums on Spotify, so I am listening to them now. Lullabies is where I am starting and I like it. I did skip around a few songs on SFTD and Rated R and like those too, I will give them a proper listen after Lullabies.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I love the 1-2 punch of Lullaby/Medication on "Lullabies to Paralyze" - perfect way to start an album.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I always thought "I'm a Designer" sucked the air out of a great album. Was that just me?

dead56k
Sep 23, 2009

the seduction of america's youth

Handen posted:

Step 1: Listen to Rated R on mushrooms and have S/T ready to play next, followed immediately by Kyuss' Blues For The Red Sun and Welcome to Sky Valley to ride the rest of that trip out.
Step 2: Listen to SFTD the next day.
Step 3: Listen to LTP only after you've made a some really terrible mistakes in life.

exactly

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

LordPants posted:

I always thought "I'm a Designer" sucked the air out of a great album. Was that just me?

Nah, I agree. Never really cared much for that song.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

LordPants posted:

Nope, I love that song, probably in my top three off Era Vulgaris- I'm pretty much the exact opposite of that person further up the page, "Suture Up Your Future" and "River in the Road" are almost always skips for me, and I dig all the songs that they listed disliking.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

LordPants posted:

It's one of those very rare songs for me where I love the lyrics and story more than the music. At least once a week I'll find myself talking to myself: "I'm high class, I'm a whore -- actually both. Basically I'm a pro!".

I was a little surprised that of all of the songs on the album, that's the one that most remixers gravitated toward.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

loving great recording of one of their recent shows: http://youtu.be/jZaUz7a3kAo

Great setlist, great sound, too. Josh actually sounds fairly different here--maybe it's age or strain but it definitely sounds a bit like he morphs the delivery, especially in "Sick Sick Sick." Either way, I still dig it, always loved his vocal style.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Cheesus posted:

It's one of those very rare songs for me where I love the lyrics and story more than the music. At least once a week I'll find myself talking to myself: "I'm high class, I'm a whore -- actually both. Basically I'm a pro!".

I was a little surprised that of all of the songs on the album, that's the one that most remixers gravitated toward.

"You're insulted, you can't be bought or sold. Translation: Offer too low!"

Suture Up Your Future had to grow on me but I really like it now, and River in the Road is one of my favorites. My least favorite on Era Vulgaris is probably Run, Pig, Run- it's not really bad or anything, but Long Slow Goodbye and I Think I Lost My Headache are such amazing last tracks for their respective albums that it just seems weak in comparison.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Cheesus posted:

It's all a matter of what songs they're given the multitracks for, I'm sure.

River In The Road is definitely one of my favorites from the album. Really brought back that creepy desert vibe.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I love I'm Designer, not exactly the usual Queens style but I like the lyrics and the fractured parts that make up the whole of the music. Plus it's a great contrast when the sung parts kick in. And there's also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qb1yPVBrN4

I linked the higher quality version but the other has the better description: "I guess this is the video for I'm Designer."

Oh while I'm posting videos, everyone's seen this right? I could never get into Misfit Love until I saw this, the album version always seemed to drag a bit but this has a ton of energy and I could listen to them riff forever :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYw0KhwXdAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Nikaer Drekin posted:

"You're insulted, you can't be bought or sold. Translation: Offer too low!"

It's just like diamonds, in poo poo

I love I'm Designer.

baka kaba posted:

Oh while I'm posting videos, everyone's seen this right? I could never get into Misfit Love until I saw this, the album version always seemed to drag a bit but this has a ton of energy and I could listen to them riff forever :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYw0KhwXdAY

Was posted earlier but is great enough to be posted more than once. It's definitely better live.

• Locked thread