Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Jesus, I listened to that song seven times today. Sounds great, right up there with some of my favorite QOTSA material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Besson posted:

I thought Joey was a fine drummer, but never found a proper groove, and his fills felt rushed and sloppy. Jon Theodore, who was in a band I never liked, actually nails all of the drum parts. It's pretty cool to hear the band sounds so tight again.

Joey sucks the momentum out of so, so many songs. Particularly Into the Hollow and Turnin' on the screws. The former has a flat pattern that never takes off and the latter is brought to a near stop at the end of each bar. I would love to hear that whole album with another drummer.

I will say his lurching style works well on Make it witchu.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 2, 2013

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I like knowing there are 9 new QOTSA songs that I'll be hearing soon. No need to spill all the beans.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I really like QOTSA gentle tracks like make it witchu and Auto Pilot. I think it's lovely to review things against your expectations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

I saw that review, too. It was from the Rekords Rekords forum. I'm not gonna let it damper my excitement because that forum is a loving garbage dump full of cynical retards who want SftD part 2 over and over.

See this bugs me because anyone who thinks this does not understand how music is written. You can't just mentally leap back to where you were years ago, it's not like pulling a book off the shelf and jumping to page 100.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Handen posted:

Squamish Valley Music Fest, eh? Too bad the rest of the lineup is literally the shittiest thing I have ever seen.

I see a lot of good on that lineup, not quite as many name drop artists as Coachella but still. Gogol Bordello, Macklemore, Scratch Bastid, The Heavy, those plus Queens is a pretty awesome lineup. Sometimes the groups you've never heard of will floor you, too!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

whatis posted:

This is insanely loving good. The music, the video...all of it.

Anyone else getting somewhat of a Radiohead vibe from the song itself? The melodic parts and lyrics sound like they'd fit right in on OK Computer

I've always felt that Josh is a huge fan. Definitely getting that vibe here.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Guess I'm in the minority, each song released has been better than the last for me. Can't wait to hear the studio versions.

Listening again, they're not playing very tightly but it's new material so..

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 9, 2013

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I didn't realize it was a live recording until the clapping at the end. What a great song/performance.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Like everyone has been saying, Josh Homme is slowly morphing into Rock n' Roll Thom Yorke and it could not be sweeter.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I love all of these songs so, so much. It all sounds fresh and inspired especially next to Era Vulgaris. I am so stupid stoked for this album.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
his hair :gonk:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Is this files talk if I'm preordered? Because I want to professional my love for this album. It just screams classic to me. HOMMES is like a new age Clapton.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Fairweather Friends is not particularly remarkable to me either. Otherwise the album is incredible. I've had it on loop since yesterday and I'm still finding new things I like about it. I've always been a huge fan of Mosquito Song and wished there was more QOTSA like that; this may be as close as they come to doing that and if so, well loving done.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I noticed it too. Also on the second buildup theres a really, really high pitch guitar screech that I wish was quieter as it kills the poo poo out of my ears. It's far louder than the rest of the mix.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm surprised about the feelings on Vampire. Lyrically and sonically it's one of my favorites.

I had a near death experience where I was struck by a truck on a bicycle a few years ago, and subsequently went through a breakup during my bed ridden recovery. My employer also found a way to sneakishly lay me off while I laid uncomfortably in a bed for nearly three months. This album captures everything I felt at that time in my life to a T. The feeling of isolation as your friends lose interest or kind of forget, the odd questions your Oxy'd brain begins asking, the excitement about recovering and hitting the scene hard.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 18, 2013

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Is that NPR video like really, really quiet? I have my speaker maxed for it which I've never done before. Every volume control on my computer is maxed!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Fun Times! posted:

Love the album, wish Smooth Sailing was on Youtube so I could send it to people. After this tour we should get more Them Crooked Vultures, no? :dance:

You could link them to the live version from the NPR show. Here's a direct link. http://youtu.be/Nb6Ol7usq5g?t=1h7m17s

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

How is that Josh is just so full of riffs, and lyrics, and oozes sex and sexuality and is basically a 6'4" rock god?

To be fair, a lot of songs were lifted from Desert Sessions, or otherwise retooled and expanded from sections of those tracks.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 24, 2013

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
quote is not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Can you just state what QOTSA that's supposed to sound like?

• Locked thread