Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

So while the forums were down, BLR on PS4 updated and left beta. While the new menus and maps are cool, I cannot recommend this game. To anybody. It is a pay to win hellhole.

For whatever reason, Zombie Studios has decided to do away with the f2p system that brought them a lot of success in favor of a system that offers no incentive to not pay for each and every one of your items. Although all the attachments are available at level 1, most recivers are locked behind levels, and each attachment you buy doesn't cross over to other receivers like it does in the PC version. What the hell.

On top of that there are a TON of levels. I think on PC the level cap is 40 or so, and the highest unlock I saw was 75, to use anything without paying for it you'll have to grind a LOT. And when most games involve getting paired up with folks without much gear, you'll experience nothing but getting beat by folks who pay for all their stuff, explosive tomahawks, stun shurikens, the works. All the while flaunting their Mr. Moneybags titles. It is disgusting and not fun at all.

The real kicker is that it IS technically possible to perm items with GP in the PS4 version, but you first have to buy a "membership card" or some bullshit for $5 and that was the breaking point for me when I was checking it out. It all feels incredibly shortsighted.

:rip: Blacklight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
I try this out after being gone almost a year, only to find that my pings are unbearable to play on the us servers (around 1000), but are fine on europe, what the gently caress? Was there some bug that they are working on?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Ive been playing on PS4. I had spent I think 20 bucks on the game in beta, so I got like 4k back in zcash, 500 of which went into the prime membership.

I enjoy the heck out of it, and after a couple upgraded im sitting on 2.5k zcash for right now. The latency in some rounds is a bit much though, but it's a heck of a lot of fun.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

What are the new PS4 maps like?

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

Haven't checked it out fully but the new map I've seen is this small circle with a roof in the middle. Desert environment. There are more corners and rooms in there but overall it felt like a very small map.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Maddot_66 posted:

I try this out after being gone almost a year, only to find that my pings are unbearable to play on the us servers (around 1000), but are fine on europe, what the gently caress? Was there some bug that they are working on?
If you're on the PC, just ignore the ping line; it's actually complete bullshit. Once you're in the game it'll show as normal.

PWE has known about this issue for a while now, but apparently doesn't give a poo poo about fixing anything. I think Zombie Studios is slowly going insane from being stuck with such a lovely publisher/gatekeeper.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
Is this prime membership thing permanent or for like a week or some poo poo?

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

I tried looking around and it looks to be permenant. There also is apparently a rotation of items that can be bought permanently with gp without the membership. Does the game ever communicate this? Of course not.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007

Do we still have a mumble for this? address in OP doesn't seem to work.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I haven't played either the PC or PS4 version since January, did they really remove the ability to perma buy weapons, mods and equipment with GP?

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

Ularg posted:

I haven't played either the PC or PS4 version since January, did they really remove the ability to perma buy weapons, mods and equipment with GP?

On the PS4 version GP perming was not a thing until recently, now it's only on a rotation of items, or for every item you would think it would apply to if you toss Zombie 5bux. I don't think they removed GP permming on PC.

I'm not exactly the biggest fan of this policy, but the game has an actual population on PS4, likely due to not needing PS+ to play multiplayer. When I last saw the PC version there was only enough people on to play TDM and to be honest, I need an objective to play for that isn't just "shoot the mans in the faces" and since my GPU has died I have no real way to check the PC version and see if it's got a player population that has less skill then "lock on and headshot from across the map".

Since I can't check the PC version I saved a video of my first game with a new weapon I haven't seen before: the Compound Bow. Also featuring: pubbies who cannot hack for the life of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAL6yxTKjLg

I also grabbed a video of me playing what looks to me like a new map for the PS4 version as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D9B5_of4s0

A clan system was promised when beta ended but that apparently got delayed, go figure.

I just want Destiny to come out already. :v:

Azzanadra fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 28, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Yea, the game is still alright and thank god they updated the PS4 interface. But I find their business model kind of confusing. So if I buy at least $5 worth of ZombiBux that unlocks the ability to perm a large majority of items with GP? Otherwise the items you can perm go through a league of legends style rotation?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

I saw the PS4 version now has a compound bow primary weapon, is that in the PC version too?

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

Ularg posted:

Yea, the game is still alright and thank god they updated the PS4 interface. But I find their business model kind of confusing. So if I buy at least $5 worth of ZombiBux that unlocks the ability to perm a large majority of items with GP? Otherwise the items you can perm go through a league of legends style rotation?

There's a 500 Z-coin "Blacklight Prime Membership Card" that allows you to perm stuff that you would want to perm and that's how you need to toss them 5bux but other then that yes you got how the PS4 version do.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

gibbed posted:

I saw the PS4 version now has a compound bow primary weapon, is that in the PC version too?

No patch has been released yet (it's supposedly in QA), so no.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh poo poo is the bow fun?

One hit kill?

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

It's fun, but not exactly effective. when firing from the hip you do 180 damage maximum, and I think when you aim and draw the bow fully you can do 240 damage. There doesn't seem to be much dropoff when fully drawn, but there is travel time, right now there is no way to modify the weapon in any way, and the iron sight it comes with is pretty hard to use when pubbies are acting like spastics. Or to see if you're hitting the drat :argh:SIDE RAILINGS:argh:

One weird glitch I'm having with it is that sometimes the bow will just...not fire. I'll line em up and release and it'll just...act like I didn't fire it.

Overall it's pretty fun to use but if anybody on the other team is even halfway competent you'll end up being a burden to the team.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

I'm loving the PS4 version. You can PM me if you want my build. The reason there aren't any good guides is that experimenting with your weapon build is your singular advantage you have over your opponents. Wouldn't want to help the competition. Also, I love it when people use the bow. It means I'm not going to take any damage while I shoot them in the face. In over 1,000 kills, I've never seen anyone use a bow well. I saw a good sniper using the AMR, once. That guy was a unicorn.

My last match: http://pic.twitter.com/Zr87ZJrrAR
Favorite weapon stats: http://pic.twitter.com/VxO9EePWFR
Some hate mail: http://pic.twitter.com/0VCwIjczHx

A little kill streak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_CchksZaB0

Proper use of the Toxic Grenade and Holo-Decoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaWTSBTcRHM

IRSmurf fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 5, 2014

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Sup guys! I heard you got a bow now. When is that hitting PC? I might jump back in for some bow-mans!

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

Having not played Crysis 3, the Bow is the best video game bow I've used. Suck it Skyrim.

Also the spawns in Deathmatch (FFA) are a tad bit on the chaotic side. But seeing as how all team games are "Me and people who won't/can't play the objective vs. everybody who plays the objective and pays for their gear", I pretty much have play DM until the clan system comes online and we can organize goon groups (the one or two of us that play this game :v:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoWl3DHgFzE

Or the spawns are on the exploitative side...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKEZDGp814k

I almost feel sorry for him. He sent me a message saying "Could you not".

e: oh yeah I also discovered that the BAR was un-nerfed in the PS4 version, but it kept the whole lower recoil=higher ROF thing. 200 damage 0 spread reigns supreme! :getin:

Azzanadra fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 9, 2014

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
Wow, those DM spawns really are bullshit.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

Heavy Assault Rifle is best rifle. See proof below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU6NxNdv9R4

Azzanadra posted:

Also the spawns in Deathmatch (FFA) are a tad bit on the chaotic side. But seeing as how all team games are "Me and people who won't/can't play the objective vs. everybody who plays the objective and pays for their gear", I pretty much have play DM until the clan system comes online and we can organize goon groups (the one or two of us that play this game :v:)

I can't stand FFA. It's far too chaotic for me on these small maps. I play TDM exclusively. Since buying the Heavy Assault Rifle, I have a 2.21 KDR that is rising steadily. If you have PlayStation Plus and you buy the $25 + 10% bonus zcoin pack, you can catch up to me after a couple days.

I've earned 17240 GP in 161 matches. Ask yourself if it's worth playing more than 200 matches farming GP in order to buy your armor, or if you'd prefer spending $8 to buy it. If you're willing to spend cash in the game, I recommend buying items in this order:
1) Heavy Assault Rifle and a Heart Knuckles tag (250 + 100 = $3.50)
2) [LEGS] Overmatch Diamondback.2 ($2.50)
3) [CHEST] Guardian WarmongerL1 ($2.50)
4) [HELMET] Overmatch R-12 BattleAxe ($3)
5) Blacklight Prime Membership ($5) (And then use GP to permabuy Nexus Extended Range Muzzle, EMI Infrared Scope 3x, V2 Folding Stock, Vulcan STD-04XL HAR (magazine), Frontier Compensator Barrel)
6) Proximity Mine ($4)
7) Infrared Protection Gear ($4)
8) Toxic Grenade ($4)

Equip the standard grenade and the above gear. Don't bother buying a weapon slot. You'll get one for free, soon enough. And you'll probably only use the Heavy Assault Rifle.

IRSmurf fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 10, 2014

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
Anybody still playing this? Got a good PC recently I've never really played a competitive shooter before.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Anybody still playing this? Got a good PC recently I've never really played a competitive shooter before.

all the servers are super laggy on PC now. Not really sure what happened but last time I loaded it up there weren't many people playing on East Coast servers.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Merica posted:

all the servers are super laggy on PC now. Not really sure what happened but last time I loaded it up there weren't many people playing on East Coast servers.

The 1000ms lag is a display bug but yeah, the servers have always been poopy.

It is probably the best f2p shooter but there haven't been any proper content for what feels like a year. Zombie appearently have a PC patch ready but it seems like PWE is unwilling to invest resources into deploying it.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
In terms of the actual game, currently there are rotating weekly missions. It turns out these aren't actually new missions, but the same missions we've had, but the designated weekly missions have slightly better mission chance packs with a chance for Bronze Onslaught packs and certain non-designated missions just can't be completed for that week.

Also the Australian servers shut down Monday; AU players are still on the US data cluster and have to play on US servers now.

Lima posted:

The 1000ms lag is a display bug but yeah, the servers have always been poopy.

It is probably the best f2p shooter but there haven't been any proper content for what feels like a year. Zombie appearently have a PC patch ready but it seems like PWE is unwilling to invest resources into deploying it.

Apparently the story with the patch is that Zombie's PC patch is supposed to convert the PC game to the state of the PS4 version, including the cash shop methods (such as the $5 pass to GP perm anything). This includes things like having to purchase gun parts individually for each receiver and heroes only being skins for your armor and not having unique stats. Nodes are removed as well.

Since this would require PWE to figure out how to convert every user's account and all their ZEN stuff over to a different system (such as, what receiver gets all the attachments you own), this is a bit of an undertaking. PWE hasn't responded to Zombie with how they're going to do that, as Zombie dumped the patch in their laps after several months of no activity on the PC front.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
So, basically, this game is...(sunglasses)...a zombie.

YEAAAAAAAHHHHH

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

40 Proof Listerine posted:

In terms of the actual game, currently there are rotating weekly missions. It turns out these aren't actually new missions, but the same missions we've had, but the designated weekly missions have slightly better mission chance packs with a chance for Bronze Onslaught packs and certain non-designated missions just can't be completed for that week.

Also the Australian servers shut down Monday; AU players are still on the US data cluster and have to play on US servers now.

Apparently the story with the patch is that Zombie's PC patch is supposed to convert the PC game to the state of the PS4 version, including the cash shop methods (such as the $5 pass to GP perm anything). This includes things like having to purchase gun parts individually for each receiver and heroes only being skins for your armor and not having unique stats. Nodes are removed as well.

Since this would require PWE to figure out how to convert every user's account and all their ZEN stuff over to a different system (such as, what receiver gets all the attachments you own), this is a bit of an undertaking. PWE hasn't responded to Zombie with how they're going to do that, as Zombie dumped the patch in their laps after several months of no activity on the PC front.

They need to figure it out. I miss shootmans.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

40 Proof Listerine posted:

So they're patching it to make it less fun to play? Is that right?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
I uploaded all of my BLR screenshots. Most of them are from the winner's podium. Many GOONs make an appearance. I hope you enjoy. I miss you BLR.

http://imgur.com/a/filoF

"Hackuzations" :dukedog:

"man, these goons"

Dem bugs

Shhh

"switch is a c***"

MLP fan fiction

Edit #*: I'll link direct to some of my favorites as I find them. I might be at this for a few days. 150 of them to look through.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 29, 2014

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

So many good times :keke:

The best was always the pubbies' reaction to goonantics!

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007

Man, those memories :allears: We should get a goon get together one of these days, get on Mumble, poo poo up pub matches, wreck face. Would be a hell of a lot of fun.

Geschwafel
May 10, 2006

Frank sent me.
Yes! I miss BLR too. Have there been any big changes since I haven't been around? (I'm LargeMargin). I don't remember the last time I played, but I'd totally be down to rock some more matches.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007

Geschwafel posted:

Yes! I miss BLR too. Have there been any big changes since I haven't been around? (I'm LargeMargin). I don't remember the last time I played, but I'd totally be down to rock some more matches.

What are we waiting for then? Let's get an interest check going and see what days work best for the most goons.

:siren: :siren: :siren: OFFICAL GOON INTEREST CHECK :siren: :siren: :siren:

It's time to put our AK470s where our mouths are. Post up here if you're interested in reliving some good old times with fellow goons being accused of hacking by other whiny manchildren on the interwebs.

Tell us what day(s) work best for you so that we can come to a gooncensus as to when we can do this.

Also, last I checked the mumble wasn't working so we might need to get a server for that. I suppose worse comes to worse we can use the PS2 goon mumble.

As for me, I can do just about any night as long as I know ahead of time that it is happening. Thursdays are a bit hard to do though.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I finally got a working account a few days ago after wanting to play this game for like two years. I'm in Asia (GMT+9) but the BLR servers here are completely ghost-town dead.
I've been playing on US servers with actually manageable ping, so I'm usually online late nights/early mornings US time.

Geschwafel
May 10, 2006

Frank sent me.
I'm on pretty much all the time, been playing a lot of CSGO lately. Add me Steam-wise at LargeMargin and we'll play. Do we have a steam group? Those are useful because of the Group Chat, if you hangout in there we can see who all is playing.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I recently loaded this up after a really long absence - I think I haven't played since, like, February? March? Maybe May at the latest. And my gear and everything is all gone! My PWE account obviously still works, since I was able to log right back in, but it made me create a new character. It's possible that I was sent an account de-activation e-mail, but I keep most of my games stuff at an alt address so it's not cluttering up my main one, so if I did, I would have skimmed right past it.

Anybody have any suggestions to see if I can fix this? I'd love to get in on a regular goon night. Five minutes of playing is really all about it took to convince that I still have a soft spot for this game, even if literally nothing has changed since I last played. I was pretty far along too, like, level 44, with a ton of stuff permed, including the community helmets.

Seriously, if PWE and Zombie put in even a fraction of the attention that other games get, this would still be in my top 5 games for sure.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I recently loaded this up after a really long absence - I think I haven't played since, like, February? March? Maybe May at the latest. And my gear and everything is all gone! My PWE account obviously still works, since I was able to log right back in, but it made me create a new character. It's possible that I was sent an account de-activation e-mail, but I keep most of my games stuff at an alt address so it's not cluttering up my main one, so if I did, I would have skimmed right past it.

Anybody have any suggestions to see if I can fix this? I'd love to get in on a regular goon night. Five minutes of playing is really all about it took to convince that I still have a soft spot for this game, even if literally nothing has changed since I last played. I was pretty far along too, like, level 44, with a ton of stuff permed, including the community helmets.

Seriously, if PWE and Zombie put in even a fraction of the attention that other games get, this would still be in my top 5 games for sure.

You might have logged into the EU server instead of the US one (or vice versa if you played on EU before). At least that's the usual way of that happening.

I'd like a goon reunion to be in the weekends if possible.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Lima posted:

You might have logged into the EU server instead of the US one (or vice versa if you played on EU before). At least that's the usual way of that happening.

I'd like a goon reunion to be in the weekends if possible.

See, that's why the first thing tech support asks you is "Is it turned on?" It's been so long I totally forgot that there even was an EU server. Logged back on to US and everything is all good now. Thanks for that. A little part of me was so sad when I thought I had lost everything.

The steam group is a good idea for organizing things week to week, that should happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

The steam group is a good idea for organizing things week to week, that should happen.

Do we even have a steam group?

• Locked thread