Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Holy poo poo that's a great OP. Thanks, Nihil. Also I'm active (Fuzzlewhack) but I'm not around as often as I used to be.

Fun game with lots to try. But, really, there is only one option:

THE GOON WALL :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Dezztroy posted:

I'm crazy and just bought the gold bundle pack thing. It seems I can only use it on one character.

I assume most goons play on the US server? Is ping a big deal in this game, playing on the US server from Europe?

Most are on US, yes, but there's a decent spread across both US and EU.

A goon from Amsterdam used to play with me on the US East Coast servers all the time, and his latency was good enough that he regularly hit the top-three on his team. Really, though, it depends entirely on where you are in the EU as the connections from Point A to Point B can vary wildly in complexity from one region to the next, so take that anecdote as you will!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I finally hit 36 the other night and had all those sweet options opened up to me as a result. With my new-found love of the TSMG, I decided to try a lighter build coupled with the HRV Cloak.

It's hard to tell how much it actually helps, but I felt like I was doing a pretty decent job ambushing people. It was easier to get around behind folks because they couldn't see me but for maybe a brief moment on HRV since I pretty much always had the HRV cloak activated. I did, however, see people taking notice of the loud radar-pinging noise the pack makes when you're cloaked, which generally only let them get a few shots off before they were dead.

I'd originally thought the HRV Cloak would be a bit unwieldy but I think it actually works better than the regular cloak. It's ready to go as soon as the match starts, and to activate it, you whip out the remote (tactical gear key), hold down the button for a few seconds, and off you go. You can even carry/fire your weapon while it's activated and counting down. I assume as soon as it's activated you're invisible on HRV but I have no real way of telling.

Anyone else given it a try yet?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Apparently the HRV Cloak does NOT make an audible pinging noise. It seems that noise is only heard by the user.

So I'm now in love because it's way easier to ambush people with this thing on my back.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

You will unlock a second loadout slot for free at level 10 or so. Otherwise, you have to purchase the rest with real money. Personally, I rarely switch guns mid-game so having two loadout slots is already overkill.

If the premade AK (or any other gun) works for you, keep renting it! It'll be the most cost-efficient way to use a gun other than the default starting one. Later on when you have a decent pool of GP saved up you can start looking at parts to fit whatever role you're trying to fill, starting with a scope as that's probably the most important part.

Also be aware that you can't customize premade guns, just the receivers on which the premades are based.

Definitely grab a shotgun as your secondary for close-quarters. If you can aim well, it'll treat you well.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

I love how often you zoom in just to get a face-full of wall textures.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Xenaero posted:

I feel like this is a dumb question but you never know...Do the female models actually have smaller hitboxes?

Technically, no, but since they appear visually slimmer they may as well have different hitboxes.

The effect of overcompensation is stronger than I think Zombie gives credit.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
You know, I'm surprised that they didn't leave the Gold/Silver/Bronze packs open until some time after April 15th.

No doubt there would have been more than a few suckers who would have bought into it after getting tax returns (probably me).

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Azzanadra and I made music videos today.

But then things got a little weird. Um.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

SwitchbladeKult posted:

How did it get activated?

Items out of MCPs are always auto-activated, sadly.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Artificer posted:

Ah, in that case. :effort: I'll just play the game instead of hopping like a loon with a grenade in my hand, then.

That... is the game?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Well, today's a good day to poopsock some GP since they seemed to have turned the bonus back on. I guess that bonus-GP-before-maintenance thing someone suggested is a Real Thing.

Also welcome to the clan, Lunchboxx. You've already killed me plenty. :v:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Any confirmation on what "most items" means?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Yeah, this doesn't make much sense from a good will standpoint. A big draw of this game is the experimentation and the daily rentals were cheap enough that you could rent a whole bunch of things at once and earn back your GP with a few hours play time.

Unless there were some significant price drops on the longer-term rentals, it's just going to make it harder to experiment.

The free receivers are nice, but Gun Barbies is better, dammit.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's nice that I can run the game now on low graphics, but there actually is a downside. While it may be easier to see cloaked people, HRV has less definition on the geometry so unless I know where every object is in a room I will run into poo poo I cannot see in HRV. Ironic.

I thought that's how it was supposed to work. Can you actually see geometry with higher graphics settings?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Is it just me or does this game look better than retribution?

It really kinda does.

I like that last rooftop map they played on. They should throw that in Retribution.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

SwitchbladeKult posted:

As cool as new maps would be I'm tired of them adding new content instead of hunting down critical performance problems.

That doesn't attract new :10bux:, though.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
The bullet points from the post, also weekend shenanigans:

quote:

I know you'd like specifics, so here are the details:
-1 day attachments will be available for ZEN. The average 1-day price will be lower -- when I was looking over the Product Manager's shoulder, they were 11-25 ZEN each, most in the teens.
-3 day attachments will be available for GP. These will be about 2x as expensive as the old 1-day GP options were, making them about 300-500GP. There won't be any 3-day ZEN prices.
-There won't be any change to magazines.
-All receivers will have their rental prices -- both for ZEN and GP -- removed.
-All receivers will have a perm GP price.

I want to thank you all for your feedback, I and the Blacklight team appreciate it. And to give you guys a head-start on the changes coming next week, we're running a massive bonus weekend -- double GP, double XP, and double CP.

Start time: 6 PM PDT, 4/19
End time: 11:59 PM PDT, 4/21

Also it looks like you got a mention in the news post, Nihil:

quote:

In addition, we'll be adding some temporary premades to the starter pack -- many thanks to kelmomas0 for that idea.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Mauser posted:

Any suggestions as far as using this? Am I doing it wrong? I generally have at least 2:1 kdr and top the charts a lot.

If blasting people away in close-quarters with it works for you, then you're doing it right!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Goons! :argh:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Lima posted:

Send a mail and friendrequest to the inviters listed in the second post.

To add to this, bear in mind you have to be online at the same time as one of the folks who can invite you to the GOON clan (which is dumb).

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Artificer posted:

Edit x2: VVVV Done! I am a bad though. I'll have to practice more and see what I can learn from the veterans and players who are better at twitch shooters than I am.

Don't worry, Switchbladekult is pretty bad, too. :iceburn:

(I'm even worse. :ssh:)

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Jigoku San posted:

plus like 5 katanas and other stuff.

Hop on a pure Metro server and swim in the pubbie tears. Something about running around with your Hanzo Steel and the GOON clan tag incites rage in the masses.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Artificer posted:

Can Katanas damage hardsuits? Because that is some Metal Gear Raiden poo poo.

Yes. SwitchbladeKult unsheathed his blade one game and proclaimed to us in Mumble, "this is an horrible idea and will never work," and then proceeded to chop my suit to bits with me still in it.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Artificer posted:

There is. At least a couple hundred packs, but boy howdy do the servers get hammered. They disappear very quickly.

There are usually a few thousand, not hundred. All the other reward packs from Raptr had lots of keys remaining for weeks after they activated.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
For those curious: there were about 5000 packs for each one to start. I doubt it'll be difficult to get your own.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

gibbed posted:

Oh yeah, looks like the weekly weapon pack gets updated to whatever the current weapon of the week is, so you won't be stashing hundreds of each weapon.

Nuts. :v:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Azzanadra posted:

So apparently you MUST run the dumbass desktop program? gently caress you too Raptr I use steam.

Run it once, then uninstall it.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Artificer posted:

Just curious, but I'm guessing that all the high level guys like Switch and the rest of the goons in the level 30+ party plays BL:R as their main source of video game entertainment? No EVE, no WoW, no Planetside 2, etc. etc.?

I shoot mens in-game so that I don't shoot them in real life. :cop:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

garth ferengi posted:

If it's EU, I'll take it. Name is moderatepudding.

Dammit, moderatepudding, come back to US so I can once again bitch about how I can't go toe-to-toe with you. I really miss those days. :(

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Mauser posted:

Does anyone know if the weapon swap times are variable/based on the gun you're switching too?

I can confirm that pulling out the Shotgun takes longer than the handguns, and throwing a weapon-swap-speed tag on your primary makes pulling out the shotgun much faster.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Artificer posted:

And being on the receiving end of a 4-GOON curbstomping is not terribly fun. :v:

What to do in this situation: single out the goons in groups and take them and only them out before you die. Bonus points for style.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Lima posted:

Ooh we got a hacking impersonator!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4l5vkAtGNY

Who made someone mad recently? :v:

This is the best thing I've seen in a while.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Skyscraper posted:

I actually saw that too and just assumed he was one of us who didn't post in the thread. Is he actually in g00n or some kind of letter game like that?

He's not in GOON, no. He just set up his name to look like it. Instead of just yiffybrony, it's yiffybrony|GOON.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Artificer posted:

The Frag does 400 damage over 10 meters, and the HE does 500 damage over 6.5 meters. Why is the HE considered better? Both numbers are higher than the health pool of any player.

The damage drop-off from the center of the blast is pretty significant. With a tighter blast-radius, you get a smaller drop-off. Coupled with the higher damage output of the HE grenade, and you tend to do more damage with it, if not outright kill someone.

Generally, your grenades are either going to be used to simply flush someone out of an area without really damaging them, or they're going to kill them before they can react. In my experience, there's very little in-between.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Artificer posted:

Okay, if I wanted to go for a 250 health build because I am a bad and am bad at exploiting soft stats like speed because I am incapable of thinking tactically and flanking, what sort of armor bits should I be looking at? I still want a 4 tactical slot build if possible. HRV recharge would be the icing on top, of course.

You can only achieve 250 HP with the second- and third-last body pieces (the heavy ones), the Diamondback legs, and either the Slant (lower HRV recharge, higher armor) or Fox+Cat (higher HRV recharge, lower armor) helmet. There might be a 248-hp build that you can toss in an HP+ weapon tag with but I wouldn't know what it is.

Personally I roll with:
-Third-last body
-Colossus legs
-Hunter helmet

I think this gets me 240 HP and serves me well enough as a heavy build.

All of the above configurations will give you four slots.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Something I've noticed while using the AK470 with an extended mag: if I reload before expending the entire magazine, the reload animation is shorter than if the magazine was empty. Specifically, with at least one bullet left, when reloading, my character attaches a new magazine but does not cock the gun.

If you think about it, that last bullet would already be sitting in the chamber and so the gun wouldn't need to be cocked. Kind of a nice touch. I want to check if it works with other guns now.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Artificer posted:

It does with every gun.

:allears: What a nice touch.

I suppose that along with quick-reload mags also explains why some people are able to reload so goddamn fast sometimes.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Specto posted:

Also, they added more missions. copy/pasted from the site:

Devoted Agent (Part 2): Kill 70 enemies. Prize is two Mission Chance Packs. (Daily)

Winner!: 10 Wins: Get 10 wins in any game modes. Prize is a 1,000 GP token. (Daily)

Consolation Prize: Lose 30 games. Prize is a Mission Chance Pack. (Daily)

Behind Enemy Lines: Get 3 flag captures in 3 hours. Prize is a 500 GP token

Wow, these are pretty generous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

GOON stomp! Winning 10 matches took entirely too long. Maddot :argh:

• Locked thread