Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
Great OP :)

One note on the White Knight hero: he has 15% armor, as far as I can tell the one stat that sets him apart from a normal dude wearing the same gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
Also, playing with organized teams is just fun.

Pubbie tears still taste best, though. Not sure why.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

The most recent comment I got in the EU was a guy mentioning how he doesn't see many of us in Europe and then trying to add me as a friend :-)

Yeah, that was me. :D Haven't been active in the thread for a while. Good to see new people in the EU GOON clan!

mahazuhul fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 2, 2013

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
Yeah, EU is pretty rough right now. Even if you manage to get in, there's pretty severe server-side lag.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006

I'll just leave this here. Use the NT4 silencer if you use fancy rear end graphics and / or can't stand muzzle flash (I can't control recoil without that dakka, don't know why).

Edit: occurred to me that I should provide some evidence of this machine's effectiveness. Here's a result from a match before I put on the good stock.

mahazuhul fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 21, 2013

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006

Xenaero posted:

This thing is ruthless.

It resulted in utter domination at all ranges.

Also in addition to the talk above, AR is much easier to handle with recoil, while the AK has the potential to be built for more specific roles like accuracy or damage. AK's kick is a little too high for me, personally.

Dat 666 recoil proves that thing is evil.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006

SwitchbladeKult posted:

AK works best when you have the ability to scope in and drop some fire at them from range. The AR is best if you are medium to close range and just want to lay down some fire while moving quickly. They are two completely different styles.

The medium armor build I normally do helmet of choice, Breakguard chest, and Colossus legs. Popular helmet choices are FoxCat to put you at 224 or the Sniper to put you at 210. All of these builds give you 4 slots. The heavy 250 build is FoxCat or Slant helmets, Impact CQT or Warzone chests, and the Diamondback legs. 4 slots as well.

Funny, I like the AK's hipfire but can't stand that bumpy recoil when I ADS.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
I forget, do HRV blackout bubbles hide respawn beacons from HRV?

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
I've decided to try and record some gameplay to show a friend how I play BLR. My laptop's not quite up to the task, but whatevs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bDJw0DeqeA

I'd describe the build and everything, but that's in the video. I'll probably do more (this video pisses me off because I did badly), would anyone in the thread be interested in me posting them here?

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
A new hero has been released. Her name's Crusher, and she's available through 1000GP chance packs, like Ghost.

Let's have a look, shall we?

That looks like a regular heavy Fox Cat build (laaaazy, Zombie) but she has a few neat stat differences.

237HP, 21% armor, and 8.3 HRV recharge. Nice. Very nice. Apparently HRV recharge isn't linked to armor after all.

She comes with the Health Injector as her tactical gear, Frag and EMP grenades, and her depot item is ammo refill. That might sound dumb, but it means you free up a slot of your own.

Primary:

Decent AR, nothing fancy, but it's a good, capable weapon.

Secondary:

Speedbuild shotty with a drum magazine. Why the hell, but whatever. Again, decent, not great.

Basically, if you're low level and like to gamble: get this hero. She's too good. As far as I know, this is the best tank in the game statwise; the heal injector and free depot slot are just icing on the cake. Basically she's made of expensive, good items, some of which aren't available until pretty late in the game.

Results:

EDIT: also, her taunt is a pelvic thrust. Yes.

mahazuhul fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 19, 2013

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
I don't know. I got her in my first try though, bought 10 chance packs at once.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
More reason to get Crusher (I feel like her pimp at this point): with her 21% armor, 3 50 damage AR headshots do exactly 237 damage to her, same as her health. So with a health+ tag, you'd survive that. She's resilient like that. I also use the anti explosive patch for more tankiness. It's fun being a hard bitch to kill.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
The only thing they should give the hardsuit pilot heroes is unique hardsuit camos. Something funky.

I still wouldn't use them, but it would at least give them something.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
I've been having quite some success sniping using a lower FOV. I do recommend you try it if you mostly use a BAR or AMR.

I've set the FOV (regular old XFOV) to 74, and use the 6x scope on my BAR. It's lovely. It's really narrow, it feels claustrophobic at first, and you (appear to) move slow as molasses, but it makes heads so much easier to hit, because everything seems zoomed in a lot more.

I only got the idea after trying max YFOV and finding it hard to hit heads at long range. Also, you know how using a high YFOV makes it easier to control recoil? Yeah, this does the opposite. Automatics bounce all over the place.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006

Lima posted:

Mahzra, take a look at this topic.

I GOT MY OWN HACK THREAD I'VE NEVER BEEN SO PROUD

:D

Jeez. Better start bodyshotting people again.

EDIT: told you that FOV thing works.

EDIT 2: my BAR accuracy stat is at like 42% and I've never reset stats, for what it's worth.

mahazuhul fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 1, 2013

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
Sniping video I've recorded, for anyone interested. Using a speedbuildish BAR (Silverwood sniper barrel, dual mount stock) on Containment on US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKcO0Iw0LXQ

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006

SwitchbladeKult posted:

That video really makes me want to perm the 6x scope. Your FOV doesn't look that different from mine and I'm sitting at 90.

I'm used to playing on a lot larger screen (32" as opposed to this 15" laptop) to it helps just enough for me, I guess.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006

SwitchbladeKult posted:

This should not allowed on KOTH:

Because this happened:

I'd have replaced the tomahawk with shuriken, if you're going that route. Team gets on node, stun team, blow up team.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
Ran into a hacker earlier today (FKBLRBlackList was his oh so subtle name) and tried to record him on Helodeck. In his wisdom though, he had picked an incendiary BPFA to hack with, so he kept dying. He just couldn't kill people fast enough, aimbot or no. That is probably the worst weapon to hack with. :D

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Obnoxious whining is a staple of F2P forums.

In lighter news, I went 12/4 in my first match back so I'm happy. I'd like to say that I'm a good player but everyone else on the server was REALLY inept.

I don't know, if you're good at other FPS games, you'll probably do well in BLR. HRV just makes everything more tactical. Improve your awareness (get a Hunter helmet to improve your HRV recharge and take your HP to 205) and you'll be destroying people in no time. Using HRV well is key in this game.

I probably went like 2-22 in my first game, due to having practically no multiplayer FPS experience at all. I was that derpy lvl1 charging into battle courageously holding LMB all the way.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006

Xenaero posted:

I have everything low or off except for Texture quality, and my rig runs things pretty well, but whatever they did to the U3 engine, its got leaks and fps sinks all over the place.

Yeah, this. The game runs at about 60fps on my laptop, except for Evac (steam) and Trench (dust) and I have to restart it every 4 matches or so because it starts stuttering. And that's with everything set to Low/Off.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
Not to toot my own horn :toot:, but I'm starting to feel bad sniping on Safehold.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
I can't stand Metro. It's a spawnrape explosions twitchfest. To each their own! :D

EDIT: to deal with snipers on Safehold, use the underground tunnels to your advantage. Nobody seems to. My best score on Safehold is 40-something, with a HAR, just traveling from one side to the other, catching people by surprise. I think most of the kills I got in that game were people who had just spawned and just ran out into the open. For some reason people rush to the great wide open area in the middle or the balconies, which are absolute death-zones if there are decent snipers on the other team.

Think like a sniper, then do what you'd hate.

mahazuhul fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 20, 2013

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006

Lima posted:

Just spent 50K gp on Crusher and Ghost chancepacks, 25 each, - nada :mad:
Oh well. I got a BAR reciever if anyone's missing one. Sent

e: Barricade mk II preview!
- Transparent
- Cannot be deployed
- Does less bash damage but has a short stun
- You can run while having it in your hands
- Shows your emblem on the front

I'm just getting it cause I like the look of it. That and I love my emblem.

EDIT: I spent over a ton in GP on Ghost and have yet to get him. Chance packs are bullshit. I'll keep trying though.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
So yeah, people are enjoying free heroes. All Deacon all the time. I wish they'd randomly give some people the premium skin for some variety.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006

Lima posted:

The next patch might increase the levelcap, so it could be worth it to hoard a bunch of xp tokens from OS.

We can only hope. Anyone on US have Sark as a friend? His level determines our max level. As in, he will never reach max level because they'll raise it just before he gets there.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
This gear / weapon combo is fun.

This gear set (fa-bu-lous)

This weapon (awww, so cute!)

VROOOOOOM!!

Once you get used to the recoil of the shrill muzzle with the folding stock, it really doesn't matter much which barrel you use with them. Go for damage or weight I guess, spread should be fine either way.

For ARs I usually go with a magnum revolver with the 3x elotech scope as a secondary, to get those semi-precision shots when you need them. On Offshore, it helped out with people looking out of windows.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Building ARs for speed is bad because all their speed modifiers are halved, up or down. I.e. heavy parts are lighter and light parts are heavier. A speed-build AK will be a lot faster than the equivalent AR. (As a matter of fact, I happen to build the M4X with the exact parts you showed, only with a light mag and the red dot sight).

True, but I don't like the recoil on AKs. M4X is alright, but feels crippled at medium range, and I don't like the recoil on that either.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
I've got the Robot Voice pack, as have many others. Apparently it only works in first person. I've not heard anyone else's robot voice and they can't hear mine.

Shame, cause it talks about as much as Seananners. Pretty good taunts too.

EDIT:

Have some guns.

Assault rifle:

This is probably the "best" AR you can build now. That move spread is ridiculous. Use an Express mag if the Light mag reloads too slowly for you, at the cost of a little spread.

Quickscope BAR:

Built for scope-in time and rate of fire at the cost of damage and a little spread.

Heavy duty BAR:

180 damage, 80 fire rate, 0.30s scope-in with a 6x scope. Bam.

mahazuhul fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 10, 2013

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Has anyone noticed a problem with hit-reg since the patch? I’ve noticed it mostly because I’ve been using the CR so much. It feels sloppier than normal. Maybe it’s me.

You're not the first to mention that and I've had a few weird hitreg issues myself. I don't know what's going on.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
The 2JF combo is also great for ADS-ing (it is an accuracy build after all) if you can control the recoil. On AR and SMG it's not too bad, but the AK and M4X jump around quite a bit. Tapfire for the win.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
Sometimes, rounded numbers in this game just amuse me.

Have a build that has the exact same stats as the default AR with a Light mag, that just reloads faster. Also has a silencer, if you're into those.

Default AR with Light magazine and Speed+ tag

My build with Express magazine and Speed+ tag

I just like finding weapons that are straight upgrades (however insignificant) in some way over weapons that have basically the same stats. There's mathematics to exploit here, people.

mahazuhul fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 28, 2013

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah, the default AR actually has a little over 50 damage, because a damage tag will bring it to 51, but if you're not using a damage tag then you're effectively wasting build 'points'. I expect that your build stays at 50 even with the tag, and you've traded the extra damage for the -0.025 speed of the Express mag.

On that note, I don't recognise that tag you are using off-hand but if it's an accuracy, recoil, or running speed tag, immediately switch to a damage tag and you should be able to rearrange pieces around for another straight upgrade (although you might not be able to keep a silencer).

Yeah, damage tag does nothing on this. I switched the receiver to a BAR and noticed the damage dropped to 178. There's that rounding in action, I guess. I just found it amusing. Someone was using a silencer on a default AR because they liked silencers, and that irked me enough to want to build a default-AR-stat build that has one. The reload speed is just a bonus.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

So that $1k + 100k ZEN tournament has been expanded from 32 to 64 teams.

Anybody interested in seeing how far we can take a five-person GOON team? It's 5v5 DOM, best of 3, single elimination (so maximum six rounds), with strong restrictions on gear. The tournament happens this Saturday. I know, I'm not exactly giddy about those rules either, but it's still a nice change of pace.

I'm in.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
Testing those rules. BAR players are hosed, unless they're very loving good at the game. Main culprits being no weapontag (so 5 rounds standard mag is all you get) and the light pistol secondary.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006

Maddot_66 posted:

Wait, they're letting AKs into this? I might have to join you guys...

Yup, but you might want to test-drive a default AK for a bit.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006

Bobcats posted:

Those rules make the game nothing like how it plays for everyone else. It may as well be a heavy pistol tournament.

An idea I've been tossing around in my head is to allow EVERYTHING IN THE GAME - but only one per team. So a 5 man team gets to pick items from the full collection of receivers, tactical gear, armor, etc, weapon parts excluded, but they'd have to balance their teams best they can with the limited number of items available. Heroes would be allowed, but only with their default weapons and gear.

There are of course two major problems with this: one is that not everyone has access to all items due to level constrictions, another is that it'd be a royal pain in the rear end to make sure everybody followed the rules without some in-game way to verify quickly before the match starts. Shame, because I don't see how else you could even remotely hope to balance competitive play and still have the players be able to use anything and everything.

Some have tried to run no-rules scrims, but of course those turned out in nade/tomahawk/shuriken fests where everyone ran pretty much the same armor setup with the defacto weapons.

BLR: customizable, depots, hardsuits, heroes, lots of variety
Competitive BLR: no customization, no depots, no heroes, no variety

That's just wrong.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
This:

is starting to piss me off. This is an extreme example though.

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
Settings > Account (yeah) > chatfilter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahazuhul
Feb 15, 2006
I just like to admire people's cursing creativity.

• Locked thread