Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

LP97S posted:

[Tell] Is there any groups or congresspersons who are advocating for a more comprehensive UHC such as Medicare

A public option did pass in the original in the original House bill, and almost in the Senate, so I would say the answer is yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Invisible Handjob posted:

So Medicaid qualification will be income based only? My fiancee and I have a pretty large savings we managed to accrue before, but now we both work pretty menial part time jobs making poo poo money. We should still qualify despite any savings or assets right?

Another question though is, do you live in a state that is expanding it?
http://www.advisory.com/Daily-Briefing/2012/11/09/MedicaidMap

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

De Nomolos posted:

Some of the states participating are surprises (North Dakota, Arizona, Florida, and Michigan are all entirely GOP controlled), but none of the states not participating are that surprising (though blue states with current conservative GOP majorities like Pennsylvania and Wisconsin are on there).

I actually don't find them that surprising, I'm more shocked at the rest though. I figured most states would buckle after realizing the ACA was here to stay. It's going to leave those states, especially more blue states like Wisconsin and Pennsylvania where the act is more popular in an awkward electoral position since they'll get to campaign on "Every other state got to have their uninsured rate fall numerous points in the course of a few months because of Medicaid, and us? Meh." Plus, the main reason I assume Brewer and such expanded Medicaid even if they don't actually care about helping poor people, that sweet, sweet federal money coming in,

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

I think a few things lost some funding during budget battles, but nothing massive or anything. A tax on medical devices I think was repealed(or still in the process), but repealing it has a lot of Democratic support. In a roudnabout way they did in terms of the SCOTUS ruling saying Medicaid expansion was optional.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

BiohazrD posted:

So what are your options once you hit 26? Hope you get a full time job? Or would you be eligible for Medicare?

Exchanges, Medicaid if your income is 133% or below the poverty level(I don't know the exact number, but it's around $15,000 something I think for a single person) and your state has expanded Medicaid, or hope your employer provides insurance. Medicare with exceptions(mainly renal failure I think) is still just for old people.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

esquilax posted:

If you don't make enough money for the government to give you money, you're probably stuck with no insurance.

Takes money to make money folks :v:

On the subject of Medicaid and the states, here's a nifty map of where the states currently stand.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Specifically it's where each state's governor stands on the issue, which usually means where the state itself stands, but Missouri seems to be the odd child out. The map on the site itself though does in fact list whether or not a state is running its own exchanges
http://www.advisory.com/Daily-Briefing/2012/11/09/MedicaidMap

e: beaten
Although, it appears partial Medicaid expansion is not quite dead in MO
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...4d5a914c97.html
However, the feds have said they will not pay higher reimbursement unless states go to the full expansion.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Part of the original numbers I believe also assumed in a sane world every state would expand Medicaid.

America does not live in a sane world.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Some Medicaid news, as well as news between the battle between Arizona and Florida for obnoxious states. Many were shocked when noted voldemort stand-in and governor, Rick Scott in Florida embraced Medicaid expansion. Thankfully, the Florida legislature made sure Rick Scott will never do anything good in his term as governor and voted down the expansion. Many where also shocked when governor Brewer in Arizona also supported Medicaid expansion. Even more shocking, it just passed the state Senate

http://www.azcentral.com/news/politics/articles/20130516ariz-senate-moves-forward-medicaid-eligibility-expansion.html

However, Republicans hold a slightly larger majority in the House, and its getting a more frosty reception there. If you live in Arizona, you should probably start lobbying your state house like hell.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

I have some Medicaid news. Arizona, you might be getting some health care soon. Apparently Jan Brewer's "gently caress you I'm not signing anything until you expand Medicaid" plan is beginning to work

http://www.svherald.com/content/news/2013/06/04/354342

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Dystram posted:

It's likely to avoid giving the GOP talking-point fodder for 2014. That's just about the only point I can see.

Also, I know a lot here hate the ACA, and wish we would go single-payer - I do too - but I'm curious as to how anyone could think it would've lasted more than 5 seconds in the insane electorate we have, and the mostly conservative SCOTUS. I'm actually curious about this. It's not meant to be a condescending line of inquiry.

A majority of the population supported the public option in polls and once it was actually implemented so would more people probably. As for the court, I remember during oral arguments one of the conservative justices making the point the mandate problem of making people buy private insurance could've just not existed had there been a public option.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Question! If your employer offers health care insurance, can you buy insurance on the exchanges paying for it fully out of pocket?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Ceiling fan posted:

You also have the opportunity to try to prove your employer is a piece of poo poo who won't offer decent healthcare.

:allears: This is exactly why the person I know might do it. Although her employer insurance actually isn't bad and she's going to spend thousands of dollars to prove some kind of point, but whatever floats her boat.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Something I noticed, the exchange sites are a .com instead of a .gov. It's a minor thing, but I think it plays into the public's perception of the ACA and what the government is actually doing for them.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

BexGu posted:

Which exchange sites are you seeing as .com instead of .gov? Everything I've seen has been through https://www.healthcare.gov/

I guess it's actually different by what government site. I had only looked at my state's site and two others, not the feds.
http://www.accesshealthct.com/
http://www.coveroregon.com/
http://www.connectforhealthco.com/

But now I looked up Washington and they're going with .org
http://www.wahbexchange.org/

Most of the states defaulting to the federal .gov exchanges are deep red though, so that's cool at least.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

For starters, in New York, the rates in fact went down

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/07/17/heres-why-health-insurance-premiums-are-tumbling-in-new-york/

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

miscellaneous14 posted:

It's not really any different from the government healthcare information site, but TurboTax also has an interactive guide to finding out what you'll end up paying for a plan based on your age, state, income, etc. For me it says I'll be covered by the state so my cost would apparently be $0, though I'm not sure what sort of plan that would cover and if it means I don't have to pay anything in order to get healthcare.

If it says no costs it probably means you or you and your family qualify for Medicaid.(unless your state is run by assholes who didn't expand it)

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Von Sloneker posted:

The OP makes several references to people being "excluded" from the mandate if their income is too low. Is this the case? I can't seem to find anything anywhere about exclusions. Or, say, what about people with no income? I'm trying to figure out what happens to the unemployed who happen to be in states that hate Obama choose not to expand Medicaid. All signs point to imminent fuckery.

If a bronze(or maybe silver, but I think bronze) plan on the exchanges would cost 8% or more of your income out of pocket, you're not covered by the mandate and won't be fined.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

You know I really hope there's not a death spiral with the exchanges. $100-170 in extra spending a month might motivate healthy 20 somethings to 30 somethings who make between $20k-30k a year(i.e. the people needed to make it work) decide just to pay the smaller fine.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

martyrdumb posted:

Is there a calculator where I can figure out if I'm eligible for a subsidy? My employer-provided coverage won't be changing, but I only make 27k and I'm paying $180 a month in premiums out-of-pocket. It feels like a lot of money, but I'm not sure if I'm eligible to get it reduced.

I wish I could buy on the exchange because I looked, and it would be cheaper. But as I understand it, that isn't an option.

You're probably not eligible. Kaiser Family says if your employer insurance would cost more than 9.5% out of pocket for you then you might be eligible for subsides for the exchanges.
http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

Crosspost:
Even (D)Mike McIntyre of NC's 7th district voted with the "loyal opposition" to defund the PPACA. If you are in NC, tell him how you feel about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/29/politics/shutdown-showdown/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

"Two Democrats broke rank and voted for the Obamacare delay: Mike McIntyre of North Carolina, and Jim Matheson of Iowa."

http://www.legistorm.com/office_district/365/Douglas_Carmichael_McIntyre.html

Zip code 28411 works http://mcintyreforms.house.gov/contact/

Find a street address here http://www.9digitzipcodes.com/Wilmington-North-Carolina-NC-28411/15dde34dae2ce0c3.html

His district has a R+11 partisan ranking, can you blame him for voting against it?

e: How exactly do the subsidies work? They're portrayed as tax credits, so what happens, do you pay all the costs at first and then you get the subsidy money back in your tax return?

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 29, 2013

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Orange_Lazarus posted:

The problem is this is kinda coming from my co-worker who I know wastes a lot of his money on fast food, gambling, drinking, etc every month. When I think back to when I was single ($20,000 a year and squeezing by with a smoking addiction every month) I get the impression a lot of the people complaining would rather waste their money than get HC.

Yeah, and a lot of people may want to just pay the cheaper fine. I hope it doesn't happen, but, it seems like it might. $100-140 a month is a decent chunk of extra spending(on something they won't use that much if they're healthy) for someone making say $23k a year.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

gohuskies posted:

So far Washington, Minnesota and Maryland have all taken down their exchange websites until later today or tomorrow for technical difficulties. The District of Columbia exchange also apparently now doesn't think they'll be able to calculate anyone's subsidy until November. I'm sure nearly everyone must be having massive technical issues.

Yup, Connecticut's isn't working either. Thankfully the news today is entirely about the shutdown and not the problems with Obamacare.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

The governor's facebook page in my state said 373 people signed up on the exchanges as of an hour ago. That's not bad, if you averaged 200 a day for 3 months(and open enrollment is 6 months), that'd be 18,000 individuals and families just in CT alone in 3 months. And daily signups will probably increase as days go on in the short term.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

There's some data out of the CT exchanges, it appears the death spiral has so far been averted

quote:

CT Exchange Makes Progress In Signing Up Young Adults

While the Access Health CT exchange has only been open for eight days, CEO Kevin Counihan said he’s encouraged by some of the early demographic information of the policyholders buying plans.

So far there have been 1,017 policies sold, but there’s no information at the moment to say how many people those plans would cover.

Of the 1,017 policies, 26 percent have chosen gold plans, 49 percent have selected silver, 21 percent have selected bronze and four percent have chosen catastrophic plans only offered to adults under age 30.

“One of the interesting things we’re pleased to see is that from an age distribution perspective 29 percent are below 35,” Counihan said. “We’re all interested in making sure the risk pool is as balanced as it can be. This is a very good start to that.”

In order for the concept of the exchanges to work and drive down costs for older and possibly sicker populations is for young people to participate and pay monthly premiums even though it’s unlikely they will need to use many services.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

So I guess "policies sold" means "we're not giving out stats on new Medicaid enrollees"? Because I'd think that'd be a huge chunk of the younger people completing the process, but the story doesn't mention Medicaid enrollment at all.

Why would new Medicaid enrollees be omitted from the story altogether? Is Connecticut one of the states that rejected expansion?

No, in fact, we were the first state the other year to start general Medicaid expansion(the income limit was lifted to around $960 a month I think for all childless adults and we had had a state run insurance buy in insurance program that covered some poor previously). I'm assuming it's omitting the data because probably because there's no threat of a death spiral with Medicaid prices since it's near free and probably most people of all age demographics eligible for it will sign up. There was question though on whether healthy young people would sign up for insurance they'd have to pay for.

Although it's not all roses for the Medicaid program in CT. After it became clear the extra people would, you know, cost money, the state tried to axe 13,000 people from it early this year until the expansion kicked in. The feds said no. So instead they're also going this route

quote:

Malloy is proposing to lower the Medicaid income threshold for low-income families from 185 percent of the poverty line to under 133 percent. That policy would eliminate 40,000 residents from Medicaid rolls, about three times as many people who would have been impacted by the original plan.

Starting in January 2014, these families would be required to buy health insurance from the state’s health care exchange system, a change which would cost a three-person family an additional $750 to $2,000 per year, McNichol said.

If this second proposal goes through, the state will save approximately $66 million in the two-year budget period starting on July 1.
e:
Speaking of Medicaid, New Hampshire looks set to expand it, with a caveat however
http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/NH-Medicaid-commission-votes-to-expand-program-4877336.php

quote:

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A special panel considering whether New Hampshire should expand its Medicaid program to poor adults voted Tuesday to recommend doing so, but with a catch.

The board voted 8-1 to recommend that the Legislature meet in special session this fall and authorize the expansion beginning Jan. 1. The expansion could only take place, however, if a requirement is also put in place that poor adults with jobs participate in a program where the state pays to keep them on their employer's private insurance plan if it's more cost-effective than Medicaid.

Making that program mandatory would require a federal waiver.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 9, 2013

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

reagan posted:

I saw that North Dakota actually decided to expand Medicaid. Am I going to fall into that as a 26 year old single student with no children?

If your income(I think it's gross income, not net) is below $16,000 a year, then yes.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

So has like anyone period been able to sign up on the federal exchanges? My state's has gone more or less okay, but every story from the feds is basically a horror story.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

CT has released some numbers for the first two weeks of its exchanges

http://www.ctmirror.org/story/2013/10/17/access-health-data-shows-early-obamacare-customers-are-older-and-choosing-anthem

quote:

Most of the early customers were ages 55 to 64, and, among enrollees under 35, the majority will get Medicaid coverage. Two-thirds of those signing up for private insurance chose plans offered by the state’s largest insurer, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, and small businesses have lagged behind individuals in signing up, with only 11 submitting applications so far, according to data presented to the marketplace’s board Thursday.

The data was the most comprehensive presented so far, and according to CEO Kevin Counihan, is more than federal officials wanted states to release.

Unlike Connecticut, which chose to develop and run its own marketplace known as a health insurance exchange, 36 states have exchanges that are run fully or in part by the federal government. The federal government has faced criticism for its handling of those exchanges, including not reporting how many people have enrolled so far.

“Technically speaking, we’re releasing more information to the board today than CMS would typically want us to do,” Counihan said, referring to the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

According to the data from Connecticut’s exchange, known as Access Health CT, 10,768 applications were started between Oct. 1 and Oct. 15, and just over one in five -- 2,372 -- were completed. Because some applications cover families, the number of total people signed up is larger than the number of applications.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

^^^ Is HUSKY an acronym for something?

To my knowledge no, so I don't know why the programs aren't just spelled out as Husky.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

Healthcare for Uninsured Kids and Youth (Connecticut) per http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/HUSKY

Which makes no loving sense, where does the "S" come in?

Ah, so it does stand for something, even if they didn't really get it right.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 17, 2013

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

reagan posted:

How accurate is the KFF subsidy calculator? It says I fall into the Medicaid group. What do I do next?

Apply for Medicaid, assuming your state was one of the states that expanded it. I think you can do it through the exchanges(at least you can through the CT one), but, if the exchanges are still all haywire, you can always just go down to your nearest Department of Social Services office and fill out an application the old fashion way.

e: The calculator for Medicaid should be pretty accurate, it's 138% of the poverty level across the board.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 18, 2013

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

An unintended consequence of PPACA's enactment during lovely economic times: the so-called death spiral might happen anyway, because so many younger people are broke enough to qualify for Medicaid, while those most anxious to enroll in the private plans in the exchanges are the older and sicker.

Many people will be better off under expanded Medicaid, anyway, than under some of the narrowed networks that the Exchanges carry. I'm delighted that so many people are taking advantage of the best thing about PPACA; over half of Washington state's Exchange applicants are new Medicaid enrollees.

It's a bit early to be making any assumption on the final demographics. One to thing to note though is people who qualify for Medicaid are going to instantly sign up probably, there's no cost and there's only one Medicaid option. Other people though are probably going to take more time on deciding on a plan.(or possibly also think if they enroll now they'll have to pay for October and November and not get coverage out of it)

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

BarkingSquirrel posted:

I haven't even been able to see my eligibility results on healthcare.gov for nearly two weeks. When I click to view my eligibility results, it opens up a completely blank page containing the word null in the address bar. I'm poor as gently caress. I'm on track to make less than 7k for the entire year. I can't afford a plan I can't get a subsidy on and I can't even see what I can get a subsidy on.

One hundred million dollars. What a loving joke.

If your state expanded medicaid, you'll get that. If not, you're hosed since there are no subsidies for below 100% of the poverty line.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

Wouldn't this lead to a rush of people from outside the state moving to Vermont for the health care?

No, 85% of the country has health care, Obamacare will make it 90-95%(the high end assuming all states will expanded Medicaid within a few years). On top of it, you can't just move to Vermont. If you do with no plans, you become jobless, at which point you'd be eligible for Medicaid. On top of it, the people most likely not to have health care are going to be the people least likely to be able to afford moving to Vermont. People with more options aren't going to move to Vermont because they don't want to move huge distances to a rural state.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Obama is giving his speech on the website problems right now for those interested.
e: and a woman behind him almost fell. Also calling health care a right for all.

And on the note of exchanges, CT's got a thumbs up, as well as Rhode Island.

quote:

Connecticut’s health insurance exchange received high grades from an independent firm for its quick health plan comparisons.

HealthPocket, an independent firm that analyzes and compares health insurance plans across the country, found that Connecticut’s exchange, called Access Health CT, was able to produce a plan comparison on its website within four steps — the fewest among states with their own exchange. The state with the most steps required to compare plans was Minnesota, which requires 18 steps.

Rhode Island’s did well too. It was able to produce plan comparisons within six steps.

The 36 states using the federal exchange at healthcare.gov require “nearly four times as many steps to produce a health plan comparison page,” according to the report released Friday.

Connecticut seems to be ahead of its counterparts in other states. Maryland, Nevada, New York, Washington D.C., and Vermont did not allow consumers to anonymously compare plans, while Hawaii doesn’t even have plan comparison capabilities yet.

“Like all states, Connecticut is focused on making the shopping and enrollment process as simple and transparent as possible,” Access Health CT CEO Kevin Counihan said in a statement. “We have more to do, but we are off to a good start.”

There are an estimated 344,000 uninsured in Connecticut — representing about 9 percent of the state’s overall population. In the first two weeks, more than 143,000 individuals visited the website and more than 12,900 called the hotline where the average call last for about 10 minutes.

“One of the challenges with online shopping is that more steps increase the risk of website visitors abandoning the shopping process,” an analyst from HealthPocket wrote in the report. “The most successful ecommerce web sites such as Amazon.com minimize the number of steps from the home page to product comparisons. On Amazon’s website, a consumer can shop for products in as little as two steps. However, it should be noted that the exchanges have a consumer incentive that Amazon does not: Failure to enroll in health insurance can result in a tax penalty.”

Counihan, who worked for the Connector in Massachusetts, has said it’s been his experience that an individual will contact the exchange or visit the website 18 times before they actually sign up.

Aside from some first day website hiccups, Connecticut’’s exchange has exceeded early expectations even though the number of completed applications was under 4,000 as of Oct. 15.

Of the 3,847 individuals who signed up for coverage, 1,857 qualified for Medicaid, 1,897 signed up for plans with one of the three private insurance carriers, and 93 qualified for the Children’s Health Insurance Plan. Of the individuals who signed up with private carriers, 772 won’t receive a subsidy and 1,125 will receive a federal subsidy to lower their monthly premium.

In the small business marketplace there were 11 applications representing 47 individuals who finished the application process.

But not all the information has been handed over to the carriers yet, so these individuals who completed the application aren’t technically enrolled in their plan.

Of those who have enrolled in Connecticut’s exchange, about 51 percent have chosen a silver plan, 20 percent have selected a bronze plan, and 26 percent have selected a gold plan. About 3 percent have selected catastrophic plans, which are offered to individuals under the age of 30 who might not want to pay a high monthly premium because it’s unlikely they will need much medical care.

Those enrolling in Connecticut’s exchange also have tended to be older thus far. Nearly 400 individuals ages 55-64 who enrolled in the exchange between Oct. 1 and Oct. 15 qualified for Medicaid because their income was at or below 138 percent of the federal poverty level, and nearly 600 in that same age group have signed up for plans with one of the three private insurance carriers.

There is no information yet about enrollment statistics for the 36 states participating in the federal exchange.

According to the Seattle Times, the health exchange in Washington has enrolled about 25,000 residents while an additional 37,000 people have completed the application process to enroll but have not submitted their first payment.

Washington has a population of 6.8 million residents, which is about twice the population of the state of Connecticut.

In Kentucky, which has a population of about 4.38 million residents, 15,480 individuals have enrolled through the exchange, according to their exchange’s website.

Kentucky has more than 640,000 uninsured citizens, which is about 15 percent of the state’s population. About half will qualify for Medicaid and half will be able to purchase private plans on the exchange.

I have to say Washington's numbers don't seem too bad, either do Kentucky's.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 21, 2013

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

computer parts posted:

300,000 lose health plans in Florida but there are comparable plans with better coverage to replace them.

Yeah but this isn't probably how people getting those notices are going to see it. At this point you have more people getting "We're cancelling your coverage because of Obamacare" than have managed to sign up for Obamacare so far after 3 weeks.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

tadashi posted:

The problem with the previous "super majority" was mostly dealing with Lieberman, I think? He still held quite a bit of sway between the conservative democrats and moderate republicans.

Not just Lieberman, Bacchus as well, and documents released after the fact showed the White House was willing to drop the public option if insurance companies agreed not to sink piles of cash into advertising against the law to kill it from ever happening.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

In Medicaid news, Governor Kasich has apparently found a way around the legislature and Ohio will now be the 25th state to expanded Medicaid.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/22/us/medicaid-expansion-is-set-for-ohioans.html?_r=0

quote:

COLUMBUS, Ohio — As a Republican chairman of the House Budget Committee in the 1990s, John R. Kasich wielded a ferocious budget ax. On Monday, as Ohio’s governor, Mr. Kasich defied his party’s majorities in the state legislature to push through a multibillion dollar expansion of Medicaid under President Obama’s health care law.

By a 5-2 vote, an obscure committee, the Controlling Board, which normally oversees relatively small adjustments to the state budget, accepted $2.5 billion in extra Medicaid funds from the federal government. The money, recently approved by Medicaid administrators in Washington, will provide coverage for 275,000 Ohioans who have not been eligible for the program, the Kasich administration said.

The vote was an extraordinary — and possibly illegal, critics in Mr. Kasich’s own party said — end run by the governor around the General Assembly. Mr. Kasich, who initially declared himself an opponent of the Affordable Care Act and who has declined to set up a state online health insurance marketplace, has argued all year that his sense of Christian compassion, not to mention cool economic practicality, favored extending Medicaid to poor adults and those with disabilities who do not currently qualify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Beamed posted:

I figure this is the place to ask if anywhere: I heard rumblings that Snyder wasn't going to be a douche and will expand Medicaid eligibility in Michigan. Is that the case?

Snyder wanted to, the Republican controlled legislature says no though.
e: actually no, it appears the expansion was signed into law last month. Although Republicans in the legislature also delayed implementation until March or April of next year. It also comes with some caveats

quote:

The "Healthy Michigan" plan, as the governor calls it, will require many new Medicaid recipients to pay income-based premiums that can be reduced through healthy lifestyle choices or increased if they choose to stay on Medicaid for more than four years.

The reforms will require two waivers from the Obama administration -- one up front and another a few years from now. Michigan could still "opt out" of the expansion if the federal government denies either waiver or if long-term costs exceed early year general fund savings, which the Senate Fiscal Agency expects will happen in 2027-28.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 24, 2013

• Locked thread