Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Isn't combat teleportation a trick psychic melee types often use? The psychic warrior seems to already focus heavily on mobility so why not go the whole hog. Combat precognition is another thing that would be really cool and appropriate. Autohypnosis to ignore wounds and debilities or to stimulate self regeneration or to otherwise push beyond human capabilities? Rending spacetime with a weapon? Punching souls out of their bodies?

Just tossing some random ideas out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Okasvi posted:

Isn't combat teleportation a trick psychic melee types often use? The psychic warrior seems to already focus heavily on mobility so why not go the whole hog. Combat precognition is another thing that would be really cool and appropriate. Autohypnosis to ignore wounds and debilities or to stimulate self regeneration or to otherwise push beyond human capabilities? Rending spacetime with a weapon? Punching souls out of their bodies?

Just tossing some random ideas out there.

I like all of these ideas, make some moves for these.

I agree with Lemon that it should probably be a d8/8HP class. I also don't really like the name Psychic Warrior, it is terrible. Soulknife or Soulblade wouldn't be bad, especially with their coolest move letting them alter range tags and produce weapons from nothing if unarmed.

I feel like you should remove "you take an unexpected route or path of action" from Perfection in Form. More options on that move actually weakens it, since you pick only a couple options and the implication is you can't do an option you didn't pick. "an unexpected route or path" seems like it would be the fiction behind some of the other options - let the "how did you do it" come about in play.

I really don't like Enlightened Strike as a move. It is a +WIS Hack & Slash, with a slight edge over Hack & Slash with the choices. It just strikes me as kind of mediocre. Maybe a change in trigger and terms would help:

Enlightened Strike rewrite posted:

When you deal your damage in melee combat, you may roll +WIS. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one, but you leave yourself open - choose one for them to use on you. On a 6-, the GM chooses one to use on you:
You create an advantage or expose a weakness, +1 forward to you or an ally acting on it
You redirect their attention or movement to your advantage
You impress or dismay your opponent
You take hold of something they have or want

Enlightened Shot would only need to read, then, "You may use Enlightened Strike when you deal damage in ranged combat."

Soul Shatter/Soul Sever are boring, as has been mentioned. Mostly, they have the distinct downside of not being cool psychic things. A +damage move could work, but it'd work a lot better if it was weird and psychic-y. "When you deal damage to someone you've touched, skin to skin or with an act of kindness or cruelty, deal +1d4 damage." for instance. Or maybe, since it's about shattering souls, "When you deal damage to someone who is dismayed, demoralized, or otherwise not at their best, deal +1d4 damage."

I like the flight moves and assume they exist in part because of the sky dancer.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't been working on it lately but I renewed my work on Dungeon World Mounts. Today, I have written many mount tags.

Space: put "Space" in front of this mount's name (such as Space Whale). It now exists in and can travel through space. It is up to the DM to decide how they subsist, how fast they can go and whether they can land on planets, as well as whether the characters can breathe in space and how.

Robot: put “Robot” in front of this mount’s name (such as Robot Unicorn). It is now a mechanical mount which requires no food but may need maintenance and fuel. It does not heal naturally, but it also does not tire.

Undead: put “Undead” in front of this mount’s name (such as Undead Raptor). It is now undead, which means it does not tire, needs no food and is fearless. It may cause some people to recoil from you in fear due to its unnatural state, making them distrust you. It does not heal naturally, and if it has flesh it probably smells bad.

Giant: put “Giant” in front of this mount’s name (such as Giant Spider). This tag is only appropriate for mounts of Medium size or below. It is now an exceptionally large variant of its species or make. Choose a size from Large, Huge, Gigantic or Gargantuan and apply it to the mount.

These are not exclusive, by the way. You can have all of them.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

One of my players wants a very Indiana jones styled character, just without the whip. Any cool move ideas?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

One of my players wants a very Indiana jones styled character, just without the whip. Any cool move ideas?

What are the things Indiana Jones does, aside from being a dick, being afraid of snakes and somehow surviving all the traps? I can't really think of anything that wouldn't just be a Thief.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Lemon Curdistan posted:

What are the things Indiana Jones does, aside from being a dick, being afraid of snakes and somehow surviving all the traps? I can't really think of anything that wouldn't just be a Thief.

Or Dashing Hero.

I just wrote up this move last night for Inverse World, it could fit with your Indiana Jones:

Hangman's Noose Whip Tricks
When you throw a rope or grappling hook at use a whip to catch something in Near or Far Reach range, the rope or hook whip will always catch exactly where you wanted it to. It will never come loose unless you allow it or the rope is cut.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

gnome7 posted:

I like all of these ideas, make some moves for these.

And yes, the Sky Dancer was a definite influence on how I wrote the PW's flight moves. You do some drat good stuff.

Thanks for the tips--especially with Enlightened Strike, which I wasn't feeling other than "they need something funky to do in combat." Working on some new and improved moves as we speak!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TombsGrave I really like the ideas of the Fury and the Poultergeist, can't wait to see them!

Also, I cannot think of any way to improve my as yet un-named CC, so I'm taking suggestions for the name. I thought of something like Fateweaver or Talewalker, but does anybody have something a little less nounverb-y?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Fenarisk posted:

gnome7 posted:

Or Dashing Hero.

I just wrote up this move last night for Inverse World, it could fit with your Indiana Jones:

Hangman's Noose Whip Tricks
When you throw a rope or grappling hook at use a whip to catch something in Near or Far Reach range, the rope or hook whip will always catch exactly where you wanted it to. It will never come loose unless you allow it or the rope is cut.

Wow, you really are addicted to writing new moves, aren't you? :v:

I had a Thief player who did a lot of Indiana Jones inspired stuff. The only custom move he really wanted was a "Good" alignment move about returning things to their rightful owners. It belongs in a museum, after all.

I also found out that Flexible Morals is pretty key to Indiana Jones. He makes a lot of bluffs and threats about not caring about hostages etc. to conceal his intentions.

I also gave him a crossbow, just on the off chance of dicking him over when he couldn't reload it between Cairo Swordsmen. Other than that just play the game, Indiana Jones is a great inspiration for a character.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Thanks, I might mix dashing hero and thief in his playbook.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TombsGrave posted:

While I've mainly been enjoying the hell out of Fiasco lately, I've also been prodding at that psionics-handbook-for-DW idea. Here's what I have so far of the Psychic Warrior.

Okay, let's go.

The Soulknife

Stats: as mentioned, drop them to 8+Constitution HP/d8 damage.

Alignment: Neutral seems harder to do than the other two, and is also more passive. Chaotic/Good are fine (except that your Good is the same as my Lawful Fighter :v:). That said, Good/Neutral/Chaotic is a boring vanilla alignment triumvirate, and also doesn't seem to fit the concept of "dude who makes weapons out of his mind" too well. Lawful/Neutral/Evil seems like it would work better (discipline/self-improvement/hunger for power).

Perfection in Form: name doesn't really seem to fit? Also, on a more pedestrian level, too much intro text! The trigger is enough to convey what happens. Also also: "swiftly, stealthily or both" doesn't really need to be there. Like gnome said, "take an unexpected route" doesn't work too well, but I feel it would still need a fourth option to keep the 10+ = 50% of choices ratio. Also, take a look at Mors Rattus' Initiate since it has a similar move.

Sharp Thoughts: seems weird to have "when you draw a weapon." Just change it so the fiction is one of creating a weapon out of mental energy. Mechanics-wise, I'd go with Hand/Close/Near so you can have psychic throwing knives. End condition needs to be something like "until you break concentration."

Enlightened Strike: is really bad for the reasons gnome mentioned. I am not too fond of gnome's suggestion because triggering a rolling move on dealing damage means you're rolling to hit, rolling damage, then rolling your second move in one single bout, with no room for the "conversation" to switch to the other players. Also, none of gnome's options bar the redirect one feel particularly flavourful or fitting to the psychic warrior concept.

The class could probably do with a fourth move, one that's social/investigative.

Crowd Control: "you can easily attack multiple enemies when in combat" == "deal your damage multiple times instead of one." That is pretty drat powerful. Take that out, make it a more narrative move that makes it so being surrounded by enemies doesn't penalise you.

Enlightened Shot: see Enlightened Strike.

Multiclass Dabbler: not a fan of Dabbler/Initiate as they're hella bland. Instead, make it a MC move like the Shaman's or make it Worldly from gnome's playbooks. The former would make more sense since there's an obvious affinity between the Soulknife and the Psion, and maybe the Soulknife and Fighter.

Soul Shatter: bad, as previously mentioned. gnome's suggestion of "when you deal damage to someone who is dismayed, demoralized, or otherwise not at their best, deal +1d4 damage" is neat.

Defying Gravity: is ridiculously powerful and invalidates ground travel. It also doesn't fit the class, since I don't remember the PsyWar being Superman. I'd keep the name and make it something like a short-ranged teleport when you roll 12+ on Defy Danger+Dex.

There should be a 6-10 teleportation move called Folding the Earth that builds on this.

Battle Meditation: seems alright? I like the concept but +2 is just bland, though.

Tandem Strike: cool concept, whether it works or not will be down to the revamped on Enlightened.

Razor-Sharp Thoughts: just counting as magic weapons capable of wounding ghosts/werewolves/etc. is a good enough benefit for an advanced move.

You should make a second advanced move for the tag stuff, and instead of giving all three it should give +1 range tag.

Soul Sever: see Soul Shatter.

Leave the Earth Behind: see Defying Gravity.

The thing with the Sky Dancer's flying is that Inverse World isn't the same setting as Dungeon World; it's a setting in which flying is the default transport option. Adding flying to DW, especially unlimited flying, breaks DW.

For additional move ideas, Okasvi's suggestions are good.

edit: you know, I'd honestly ditch Enlightened Strike for the "12+ on DD+Dex = teleport a short distance" move as a starting move. Fourth move can still be social/perception.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 6, 2013

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The thing with the Sky Dancer's flying is that Inverse World isn't the same setting as Dungeon World; it's a setting in which flying is the default transport option. Adding flying to DW, especially unlimited flying, breaks DW.

Well, the bigger problem is that I still designed the Sky Dancer around working in a normal dungeon world context. The class flies, yes, but flying anywhere provokes a roll. There might be something waiting for you, or your landing is a crash, or it takes a while to get there - flying is not risk free even in the class built around flying everywhere. Defying Gravity doesn't have a roll involved. I'd recommend looking at The Witch's Broomstick move for a "flying in a class that doesn't have it as their Main Thing" move. However, I think the Drider's Jumping Spider racial option would probably work a lot better for the flavor you want.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

Tollymain posted:

TombsGrave I really like the ideas of the Fury and the Poultergeist, can't wait to see them!

Also, I cannot think of any way to improve my as yet un-named CC, so I'm taking suggestions for the name. I thought of something like Fateweaver or Talewalker, but does anybody have something a little less nounverb-y?
A few thoughts:

The Fury
The Fated
The Master of Strings
The Weaver
The Traveler
The Seer
The Spinner
The Norn
The Chanced

Edit:
Dur, that one wouldn't work based on TG's Fury. Mea culpa:
The Ordained
The Inevitable
The Constance
The Balance

Shamblercow fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 6, 2013

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...
My best advice for the Psychic Warrior is to just think, conceptually, about what you want it to do, then have a look at other playbooks that do that. If it's more of a monk thing, as stated, have a look at the Initiate. If it's more of a Jedi thing, have a look at Pheylorn's Star Wars World AW hack, there's some good move ideas in there. Right now it feels a little conceptually fuzzy, which (trust me, I know, I'm working on multiple playbooks now) will lead you to come up with moves like "does 1d4 extra damage."

That Rough Beast fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 6, 2013

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

I think I'm the only person in this thread who prefers "Psychic Warrior" to "Soulknife," and that weirds me out a bit.

Here's the Psychic Hitting Things Guy Name To Be Determined with some updated and removed moves! A couple moves are suggestions from forumsgoer Zemyla. It seems that I can no longer put words together coherently, so I'll get back to workin' on it tomorrow.

And thanks for the link, That Rough Beast! I'll look it over and do some more thinking 'til I get what I want out of it more in shape. The thread has been a great help so far!

TombsGrave fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 6, 2013

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Enlightened Shot refers to a move that doesn't exist anymore. Was it renamed, or should it just not be there?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I actually think the name Psychic Warrior is fine. To me, if you call something a Soulknife then I'm pretty much going to expect it to be all about making a mindblade around your hand and psychic shanking people.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I think "Psychic Warrior" has a neat B-movie appeal.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

sentrygun posted:

Enlightened Shot refers to a move that doesn't exist anymore. Was it renamed, or should it just not be there?

Should not be there. Another thing I missed.

You can tell it's been a busy day, can't you. Gonna fix the pastebin and the link.

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

gnome7 posted:

Soul Shatter/Soul Sever are boring, as has been mentioned. Mostly, they have the distinct downside of not being cool psychic things. A +damage move could work, but it'd work a lot better if it was weird and psychic-y. "When you deal damage to someone you've touched, skin to skin or with an act of kindness or cruelty, deal +1d4 damage." for instance. Or maybe, since it's about shattering souls, "When you deal damage to someone who is dismayed, demoralized, or otherwise not at their best, deal +1d4 damage."

I like the flight moves and assume they exist in part because of the sky dancer.

How about something like, When you touch someone, skin to skin, you gain one hold, or roll and get one or thtee hold... Assuming you incorporate hold in different moves, it could be very versatile.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'd love to see something different or original for a name. Like, this class teleports around a bunch, but "teleport" is a strange construction for a fantasy world, so how about calling it jaunting and naming the class The Jaunt?

Or we could delve into stranger mythological sources of teleportation, like the fact that this amazing article exists, which gives us a teleportation move name of "folding the earth" and links us to concepts like Keramat and the practicioners thereof, Awliyaa'.

For another source of inspiration, we can go to a term that will sound somewhat familiar to people, Kefitzat Haderech, which literally translates as "contracting the path".

Or we can go Full D&D for familiarity's sake, whichever. :v:

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

TombsGrave posted:

I think I'm the only person in this thread who prefers "Psychic Warrior" to "Soulknife," and that weirds me out a bit.

Not really. I don't think Psychic Warrior is fabulous or anything, but I prefer generic to just straight up using the name of an esoteric D&D class. I can put up with it for the iconic classes, but it feels weird for something like this.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

TombsGrave posted:

Here's the Psychic Hitting Things Guy Name To Be Determined with some updated and removed moves! A couple moves are suggestions from forumsgoer Zemyla. It seems that I can no longer put words together coherently, so I'll get back to workin' on it tomorrow.

And thanks for the link, That Rough Beast! I'll look it over and do some more thinking 'til I get what I want out of it more in shape. The thread has been a great help so far!

Sharp Thoughts is missing a sentence in there. "You create a bladed weapon with those range tags" or "your mind becomes a weapon with those range tags" or something. And, personally, I think it'd be cool if it also gave the Messy tag, since slicing through dudes with your mind sounds about what I'd expect from a psychic warrior. So maybe a final version like this:

Sharp Thoughts posted:

When you enter a warrior's trance, choose two range tags: hand, close, or near. You create a bladed weapon of mental energy with those tags and the Messy tag. The weapon persists until you cease concentration or something breaks it.

Slipstream Step needs a bit of rewording. With the way it's currently worded, it sounds like you only get to use the move when you get that 10+ on Defy Danger from Ether Step. Rewrite:

Slipstream Step posted:

When you take a step behind reality, choose a spot within Near range and roll+Wis. *On a 10+, both. *On a 7-9, choose one. *On a 6-, the teleport went wrong--you're exposed to danger or partially stuck in an object.
You don't draw attention to yourself.
You show up in exactly the chosen spot.

I am not sure Soulforged Blade is a meaningful advance. What does being magical get your blade? I think a lot of GMs would already consider it magical, as it was. Consider modeling it after the Psion's move that improves their telekinesis, which gives you some tags and you choose one to perma-add to the move. Elemental (Fire)/(Ice)/(Electric), Piercing 2, and Forceful would be a good set of options.

My Dreams are Visions and Biofeedback Trance are both cool and original, I like them a lot.

Is War Titan permanent, or something you can turn on and off? I was assuming the latter, but upon re-reading the move, I am not really sure anymore.

I'd remove the +2 forward option Warrior's Precognition. +2 forward is a really big boost. Choosing between +1 forward, +1d4 damage forward, or +1d4 armor forward is a good enough set of choices. Battle Meditation's damage/armor bonuses should be +1d6 instead of +1d8 - the move is already very flexible, being fully on par with the biggest damage boosts in the game is a bit much, I think.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
N-n-n-necro'ing, sorta!

gnome7 posted:

So I made another thing. That thing is The Witch. Heavily inspired Harry Potter, Kiki's Delivery Service, Marisa Kirisame, and probably every other witch in the past 15 years of fantasy media, this class flies on a broom, brews up potions, and shoots magic at things, only sometimes in that order. Also you can beat people up with a broomstick made of lightning by level 2. I'll be putting this on DTRPG once I get art and give it a couple editing runs. Feedback is definitely appreciated in the meantime!

Alice and Kirisame in the names list, but no Patchouli or Hijiri? For shame, sir!

On a more serious note, I'm guessing the elemental tag from Witch's Craft doesn't count towards the amount of tags you get to choose from for Black Magic, right? Just wanted to be clear on the wording.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

InfiniteJesters posted:

On a more serious note, I'm guessing the elemental tag from Witch's Craft doesn't count towards the amount of tags you get to choose from for Black Magic, right? Just wanted to be clear on the wording.

It does count. It's one of the things you can select from, thus you have to use one of your choices to select it.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

TombsGrave posted:

I have a bit more time now, so some more in-depth comments on the revision if you want them. As usual, if I don't comment on it I think it's good:

Transcendent Agility is getting closer, and I -think- get the feel you want for it. That said, I can't see why you'd ever pick "you leave no trace of your passage" on a 7-9 roll. You might or might not need to get where you're going quickly, but "You evade detection" seems like a really, really obvious choice, since it's kind of the functional result of leaving no trace of your passage. This might be working as intended, but might work better replacing "you leave no trace of your passage" with another choice. Maybe: "Your positioning allows for an additional and unexpected opportunity."? That might be divorced too much from the fiction, but is worth thinking about. I'm kind of picturing this as more of a "dancing across the treetops" kind of move than an infiltration move, so my interpretation might be off.

Is Ether Step intended to be a teleporting dodge, a utility movement ability, or both? Can your guy consciously think: "I want to teleport" and try it, or does it have to be the result of some other action (dodging a blow, climbing a rope, etc.)? There's a lot of ways to Defy Danger with Dex, after all. What will the fiction look like if your guy decides to teleport and gets a 7-9? Can or should the fiction support a guy who can only teleport when doing strange acrobatic moves?

This may just be me, but I'd consider tweaking the trigger to make it its own move instead of triggering off Defy Dex. The most elegant action would be to can it and replace it with a slightly modified version of Slipstream Step. I believe this may in fact be explicitly contradictory to advice you got earlier, so have fun with that one.

With Warrior's Precognition, I agree with gnome7: there's no move anywhere in the game that gives +2 anything on its own and I think there's a sound reason for that. Why not have the move give you a choice between the usual +1 forward and the two alternate options?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

InfiniteJesters posted:

N-n-n-necro'ing, sorta!

Alice and Kirisame in the names list, but no Patchouli or Hijiri? For shame, sir!

Yeah, sentrygun has it right. The tag you get from Witch's Craft is merely added to the list of options. Not every Black Magic spell a Wicked Witch casts is a fireball, just the ones you want to set people on fire with.

Also, as for names, I try not to pull too many from the same source if I can help it. There are a lot of good witch names to pull from.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
For the name of this psychic warrior class - maybe use psi or paranormal instead? Like psi knight for a simple one.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PublicOpinion posted:

I think "Psychic Warrior" has a neat B-movie appeal.

Calling it "Psychic Warrior" is roughly the same thing as making a gish and then choosing to call it "Magic Fighter" instead of "Spellsword" or something cool. If you absolutely want to stick to it, at least call it Psionic Warrior.

The "Psion" is a purely D&D class name, as is the Soulknife, so it would make sense to have a trio of psionic classes called Psion/Soulknife/Ardent.

e; if you want to reinforce the fighty teleporting angle "Jaunt" is a great name. You could have Psion/Jaunt/Fury or something.

The Soulknife/Jaunt/Psionic Warrior v2

Transcendent Agility: still doesn't need "swiftly, stealthily or both." "When you perform gravity-defying acrobatics to get where you need to go, roll+Wis" is more than enough. It's still a better version of Ability of Lightness but I guess that's not a problem in itself since the class has a different concept.

Sharp Thoughts: gnome's said everything there was to say. Not entirely sure I like the trigger he proposed, since "enter a warrior's trance" is nebulous in terms of how long it takes (instant? A few instants of mental preparation? Several moments of physical prep? etc.). I personally prefer defining a time unit in these kinds of triggers (i.e. "when you take a few instants to enter a warrior's trance"). Alternately, consider reusing the Battlemind's Stance trigger: "When you set your mind and body to combat." That is more flavourful and to me implies near-instantaneousness.

Ether Step: why on a 10+? Extra effects are normally on a 12+. If you absolutely don't want to have a 12+ for some reason, consider phrasing it like this instead:

quote:

When you Defy Danger with +Dex and roll 10+, you do so by teleporting a very short distance.
That makes it a fictional move. No additional rules needed, but this still lets the PsiWar do stuff that other classes can't.

Still needs a fourth starting move of the social or investigative kind. Probably the latter, since you've got a dude sharpening his mind to be good in combat.

Crowd Control: needs a wording pass but fine.

Multiclass Dabbler: like I said in the previous post, ditch it and use a Friend of the Land style MC move.

Slipstream Step: is this meant to be used as part of Ether Step? Either way, I'd suggest going with gnome's suggestion except the trigger should be "when you close your eyes and step back into the space behind reality, you can teleport up to Near distance" because it's way cooler.

Warrior's Precognition: still suffers from being too mechanically-oriented (+1s are boring!). Also, the final option should be "take +1d4 armour forward" (but honestly, just make it +1 armour, rolling for temporary armour is weird).

My Dreams Are Visions: not sure I like the name, but I like the move.

Biofeedback Trance: neat.

Soul-Forged Blade: yep, but consider phrasing it differently, like "your weaponised thoughts can harm even the toughest or most intangible creatures."

War Titan: interesting, but needs an end condition. Doesn't really need the last sentence, the fiction takes care of that.

Transcendent Strike: "choose two range tags from this list instead" since the list is bigger than the default one.

Biofeedback Circle: sure. Maybe up it to d8?

Battle Meditation: see my comments on Warrior's Precognition.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 6, 2013

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

So I wake up this morning sneezing and the phrase "Slipstream Warrior" sort of... dislodges and pops into my mind.

It's got to be a sign.

Here's (LAST EDIT: Newer version posted ahead, go ahead and check that one out instead) the Slipstream Warrior! This comment's still relevant tough:

You Don't Belong In This World may be a 6-10 move, I'm not sure. While otherworldly/spirit creatures may be uncommon enemies, purely by having a slipstream warrior in the party one might expect to find 'em more often. Particularly with that Scent the Void thing! It's a little more powerful than Peer Through the Veil, but it's also more narrow, so maybe it balances out.

Gonna come back to this this afternoon/evening sometime and see what else comes to mind. And next time the moves are gonna be in alphabetical order because that's starting to bug me.

TombsGrave fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 6, 2013

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

TombsGrave posted:

So I wake up this morning sneezing and the phrase "Slipstream Warrior" sort of... dislodges and pops into my mind.

It's got to be a sign.

Here's the Slipstream Warrior, version whatever! A couple new moves, a couple old ones gone. I think she's starting to take shape, gents! Especially since I can see the sell text in my head now.

You Don't Belong In This World may be a 6-10 move, I'm not sure. While otherworldly/spirit creatures may be uncommon enemies, purely by having a slipstream warrior in the party one might expect to find 'em more often. Particularly with that Scent the Void thing! It's a little more powerful than Peer Through the Veil, but it's also more narrow, so maybe it balances out.

Gonna come back to this this afternoon/evening sometime and see what else comes to mind. And next time the moves are gonna be in alphabetical order because that's starting to bug me.

EDIT: Suddenly not feeling that "or let the GM choose one" on Cloud Somersault. Maybe if it were a more mischief-filled list.
EDIT 2: Cloud Somersault now reads "choose one" on 10+ and "choose two" on 7-9! Needed to mull it over a bit, and it seems like the kind of thing that's inherently kind of hazardous. "Step back, I'm going to be tumbling end over end at high speed for several minutes, in the drat air."

What about prefixing "Psi" or "Psy" to a bunch of words. Psyblade. Psystorm. Psyker. Psipuncher.

The name is exactly the opportunity to say something about your class and who they are. Not only the mechanical and skillset role they bring to the game, but the sort of person they are and the sort or stories the make. What sort of stories will players be telling with your Mindslugger, and what moves can you make to help them tell those stories?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Talebound.

Because walking the path of a story binds you as much as it empowers you.

Link

I think I'm done with this one too. I'm no Gnome7 but woo I'm making things :saddowns:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gnome7 posted:

Sharp Thoughts is missing a sentence in there. "You create a bladed weapon with those range tags" or "your mind becomes a weapon with those range tags" or something. And, personally, I think it'd be cool if it also gave the Messy tag, since slicing through dudes with your mind sounds about what I'd expect from a psychic warrior. So maybe a final version like this:

Doesn't the Messy tag mean you have less control over your attack / can accidentally hit other people? Doesn't seem like the sort of thing a psychic assault would entail, but that's me.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Captain Foo posted:

Doesn't the Messy tag mean you have less control over your attack / can accidentally hit other people? Doesn't seem like the sort of thing a psychic assault would entail, but that's me.
You're probably thinking of Dangerous.

Dangerous: It’s easy to get in trouble with it. If you interact with it without proper precautions the GM may freely invoke the consequences of your foolish actions.

Messy: It does damage in a particularly destructive way, ripping people and things apart.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

slydingdoor posted:

You're probably thinking of Dangerous.

Dangerous: It’s easy to get in trouble with it. If you interact with it without proper precautions the GM may freely invoke the consequences of your foolish actions.

Messy: It does damage in a particularly destructive way, ripping people and things apart.

Oh, I am much more familiar with the Apocalypse World tags.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there a tool to create class playbooks/character sheets that look like the ones from the corebook? I really like the monster creation utility on the official site and would love one for characters.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Tollymain posted:

The Talebound.

Because walking the path of a story binds you as much as it empowers you.

Link

I think I'm done with this one too. I'm no Gnome7 but woo I'm making things :saddowns:

I think you need to be a little more specific with Defy Danger in Pulpy Dialog--I presume you mean "rolled a 10+" on Defy Danger. Likewise, "A Million To One" may be ludicrously powerful, and I'm not sure how one might resolve it without basically spending 1-plot to skip over giant swathes of plot and encounter.

This is an amazing idea, though, and I wholeheartedly support it.

Speaking of making things, I've already done some trimming and reworking with the Slipstream Warrior. I went ahead and made Slipstream Step a starting move and moved Slipstream Dodge to Advanced. I also removed the mobility move, since while the Slipstream Warrior does get some general psychic effects, the whole wuxia thing wasn't really showing up in any of their other moves.

The non-wuxia focus may also lead to different alignment effects, now that I think about it. But more when I've the time.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think maybe I need to add a GM's note indicating that Plot is a very powerful resource and should require similarly huge efforts of the player in order to be gained. I did edit the Pulpy Dialogue thing though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I just wanted to remind people how fantastic the following blog post is: http://rocketpropelledgame.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/marx-monsters-burning-city.html

e;

[20:32:08] <+foxxbot> LemonCurdistan, 8 9 19

The City lurks within an immense dark cavern beneath the surface of the world. As far as everyone knows, it's all that's left - Topside was long ago Unmade, and the City is all that's left of reality.

[20:33:07] <+foxxbot> LemonCurdistan, 9 6 4

The City is populated by myconids, kzintihumanoid lions (called litorians) and a very small number of fomorians. The litorians (originally honour-bound warrior types) were refugees from Topside who built the City; the fomorians and myconids just happened to live here originally. No one really bothers the myconids since all they need to survive is some fresh mud, and the fomorians are all vampiric power-brokers; it's the common litorians who have it roughest, even though there's a lot of them (like, hundreds of millions).

[20:33:45] <+foxxbot> LemonCurdistan, 1 6 7

A powerful spirit of law slumbers in the ground the City is built on, which is doubtless why the generals who have appointed themselves supreme rulers in this time of crisis can stay in power unchallenged. The litorian generals work more or less hand-in-hand with the fomorian vampires to keep each other in power.

[20:34:48] <+foxxbot> LemonCurdistan, 2 7 8

Thanks to those same fomorian vampires, the City has made great advances in the necromantic arts: the bodies of the dead can be returned to life to labour unceasingly, and (for the right price) one's mind can be transferred from one body to another (don't ask where the receiving body is from). The generals and nobles have stayed in power for longer than anyone can remember by frequently changing bodies. Anyone who turns to crime or sedition is conscripted into the City's armies and sent Topside. According to the Generals, they're fighting the Unmakers to keep them from ever reaching the City, but no one's ever come back...

[20:36:23] <+foxxbot> LemonCurdistan, 2 3

In the poorer neighbourhoods, street toughs have ended up organising into impromptu anarchist co-operatives - everyone takes care of each other, since everyone is so drat poor. The City Watch doesn't normally bother with the poorer districts, but every now and then there's a fresh round of articles in the press accusing them of harbouring revolutionaries, and the Watch comes a-raiding.

[20:37:15] <+foxxbot> LemonCurdistan, 7 1

The Watch is mostly made up of remote-controlled undead - they don't feel fear, pity or remorse, they can't be bribed, and they don't tire or falter. If they've come to take you away, you're done for - especially since one of the few ways to eke out a living is to rat out on your neighbours.

The City doesn't sound like a very nice place. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Has anyone come with any more poisons for the thief beyond the four in the book?