Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Androc posted:

Do you like dungeon world? Do you like playing dungeon world? Have I got a thread for you!

I'd go for this, but it's IRC. Being a Euro-goon with shifting work shifts I can't really commit. Hope you have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That's an absurd amount of work - you'd be much better off just using DW playbooks directly.
In addition to this, some of the 3rd party playbooks might work well for pulp too with some light refluffing. The Medic, Dashing Hero and Artificer for example would probably work great.

It's a bummer that you're not into the Inverse World stuff, because most of those seem pretty pulpy too. For example the Captain seems like it's tailor made for a Spirit of the Century game.

coeranys
Aug 25, 2003

They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again.

ImpactVector posted:

In addition to this, some of the 3rd party playbooks might work well for pulp too with some light refluffing. The Medic, Dashing Hero and Artificer for example would probably work great.

It's a bummer that you're not into the Inverse World stuff, because most of those seem pretty pulpy too. For example the Captain seems like it's tailor made for a Spirit of the Century game.

I may end up using some of those things as well, I just don't want to use all of it, so I'm cobbling together a bunch of different stuff to match up more closely with what I need. Additionally, I haven't found creating things to be that time consuming, at least not when compared to something like developing a full set of Burning Wheel Lifepaths or things like that.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

ImpactVector posted:

The Survivor seems like a good fit to the setting as well.

Even the robot one could work if zany old school sci-fi robots are allowed.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
I am preparing to run a game in the Dark Sun setting and have come up with a couple custom moves for common situations. Any critique would be appreciated.

Disguise the Arcane
Agents of the Sorcerer-Kings tolerate no arcane magic besides that granted by their master. The common people of Athas fear and hate the trademark of their oppressors and the ruiner of the land.

When you cast arcane magic and attempt to disguise the source of your power, roll +CHA. On a 10+ everyone present who does not already know your true nature is fooled. They think you are using The Way or elemental magic. On a 7-9 onlookers are mostly fooled but choose one:
*Someone recognizes your power and reports you to a Templar, a local authority, or the Veiled Alliance.
*A witness becomes angry or violent about your spellcasting.
*You are forced to reduce the power or scope of your spell.

Psionic Combat
In Dark Sun when a psion makes a mental attack it is manifested as a battle in a mutable mental landscape. The combatants change their form and the environment around them as they attempt to defeat their foe.

When you have been mentally assaulted with The Way describe your counterattack and roll +WIS. On a 10+ choose one or choose two but open yourself up to an enemy attack. On a 7-9 choose one and you expose yourself to an enemy attack.

*Your opponent's physical form reacts as though it is suffering your mental attack.
*The force of your attack stuns your opponent for a moment.
*Your opponent is distracted briefly, allowing you to act for a short time in the physical world.
*You break away from the mental combat. The backlash stuns you for a moment.
*If you are a psion, deal your damage.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

coeranys posted:

So, my (rather large at 7 players) Monday night game is moving away from 4e for various reasons, one of which is that everyone wants to sort of play a Pulpy 1930s Land of the Lost/Hollow Earth style game. I don't particularly enjoy the Inverse World stuff, so I've just talked to my players about what they would like to play, and am creating custom(ish) classes for them. To that end, does anyone know of a Pulpy/Spirit of the Century style DW hack (or even just playbooks) I could mine for ideas on Advanced Moves, etc.?

I wanted to try a Victorian sci-fi series of playbooks a while back, and got something written for six different playbooks. You might be able to pull something useful out of them, but the project got put on hold when I moved, so they all are in pretty bad need of editing and playtesting.

These three are full first drafts. Not done, but have all their advanced moves.
The Gentleman
The Chemist
The Simulacrum

These are all pretty incomplete.
The Poet
The Rascal
The Occultist (I'm especially unsure about this one so far)

I was actually thinking about a Hollow Earth setting for these books, I'd be really interested to hear how it goes.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Androc posted:

Do you like dungeon world? Do you like playing dungeon world? Have I got a thread for you!

I'm in. I'd like to experience this game on the non-DMing side for once.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Alright, so the convention is over, and the three Dungeon World games I ran were pretty awesome. All game's had the same setup: You've all been jailed by the Duke of Gobertham. The rest of it I filled in by asking the players questions in character creation ("Why have you been jailed?", "What is the Duke's problem?" and "What is the great secret you know about the Duke?") Highlights from the three games include:

• First game: the Duke is trying to summon a great evil that will envelop the world in darkness and destroy it. The players arrive just in time to prevent the ritual taking place. I'd given the Elf Fighter a sidekick in the form of James, another of the Duke's prisoners, with Warrior +2. The Elf Fighter went on to challenge the Duke into combat, but also described that James was circling the Duke, ready to stab him with his sword. Player rolls a 7-9 on Hack and Slash meaning that he deals damage, but the Duke makes a counterattack targeting James. The great thing is, the +2 to damage granted by James was just enough to take the Duke down, but James is also killed in the process. The player narrates James stabbing the Duke in the side, the Duke retaliating by sticking his knife in James' gut, wounding him mortally, and as the Duke resumes his evil guy narration the Fighter's player describes his character sticking his sword through the Duke's neck. That was definitely the greatest narration of a Hack and Slash move, start to finish, I'd seen.
  • Also, in his death throes, James gave his final words. James was the coolest NPC, and all of his characterization came from the players.
  • Character creation, second game: I've established that the PCs have been jailed by the Duke of Gobertham and ask the Fighter's player what his beef with the Duke is. The player shouts "He's my good-for-nothing son! He usurped me from the criminal empire I'd worked so hard to build and used the money I'd made to buy himself a title!"
  • Second game, Human Wizard casts a spell. She'd previously described her character as having crazy eyes, always pointing in different directions except for when she was focused on reading. I do the old "What does she actually do when she casts a spell?" After a bit of consideration she declared that while casting spells her eyes actually became crazy focused as she muttered the incantations under her breath. The player remarked that she'd never actually had to think about stuff like that.
  • Also, second game, the players find out that the evil Duke who had previously jailed them is breeding giant rabbits using a magical mutagen to sell their oversized furs to dwarves for an insane profit. While the Duke is making their bad guy speech, the Ranger gets tired and declares, right out of nowhere, that he's shooting the Duke in the head. After I'd stopped laughing I just say "Okay, he's too distracted by his theatrics to pay you any mind. Go ahead and make the called shot." Ranger nails it, sending the Duke flying into a vat of said magical mutagen. He arises from the vat as pretty much a magically mutated Incredible Hulk.
  • The Elf Druid, who had been a technical pacifist until now, flies into a rage at the sight of the wanton animal cruelty, turning into a bear in order to wrestle the now mutated Duke. The Bard provides magical support by using Metal Hurlant which he'd just picked up, and it works, deafening the Hulk and distracting it for long enough for the bear Druid to get him in a full nelson. Unfortunately, the sound causes the cavern to start caving in.
  • As everyone decides that it's time to get the hell out of dodge the Druid breaks his hold on the Hulk in order to run away. As the Hulk makes one final effort to grab the Druid, the Ranger jumps in to defend, getting crushed by the Hulk's huge hand almost immediately. The Ranger provides a distraction to the group so they can get away, but dies...
  • Death appears in front of the Ranger, offering the Ranger "Your life in exchange for a life in my service." Effectively, the Ranger will thus become one of Death's reapers. The Ranger accepts the deal. As the Ranger emerges from the debris of the now collapsed castle without a scratch on him Death appears once again, saying "Now, you hold your end of the bargain." The Ranger simply gives Death his pet bird (named "Bird") and says "You did say a life in your service, not my life." Bird becomes the first Bird to become one of Death's servants as the Ranger walks away, but not before Death gives him one last bony finger.
  • Third game: the Duke, once again, is established as having dealings with demonic forces, but this time his demonic patron is more of a sly devil than a world-destroying menace trying to get out. The players run into the Duke's pet, a giant hell hound, and the Bard asks me (using his Bardic Lore) what it's weak point is. "They like to have their tummies rubbed." The Paladin uses I Am The Law and shouts "In the name of all that is good and holy, I demand you, demonic cur, to SIT!" As the hell hound sits, the Dwarf Fighter slides under the huge dog made of shadow and flame, starts rubbing its belly, and its demeanor suddenly turns into that of a huge playful puppy. As the players leave the hell hound behind the somber and dour dwarf is actually masking tears, because in that brief encounter he grew quite fond of the doggy.
  • During the final epic battle against the Duke the Bard takes a dagger to the gut, killing him. Player rolls a 6 on their Last Breath, but after the fight is over I give him one last moment to say his goodbyes. There's a very touching scene with him and the Paladin, the Bard asking if he'd done good and having the Paladin promise that they would sing of his deeds.
  • While all this is going on the Thief, somewhat separated from the rest of the party, hears a whisper from the darkness. It turns out to be the Duke's demonic patron, who now is missing a business partner and makes the Thief an offer she can't refuse: the demon will use his pull in the afterlife to get the Bard back, in exchange for a future service from the Thief, the terms of which will be determined at a later time. The Thief accepts on the condition that the demon adopt the now orphaned hell hound. :3: Bard comes back to life, the Dwarf who had thought him soft now considers him the toughest motherfucker in the World, and there's another touching scene with the Bard and the Paladin.
  • In the epilogue, the Dwarf and Thief go on to found a kennel dedicated to giving orphaned hell hounds a new home.

I might take a break from running this game for a while: as fun as the three games this weekend were, if I don't get a bit of variety in games in my life I might quickly burn out on Dungeon World. Still, it was a great weekend, and a lot of great fun was had.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 28, 2014

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I want a puppy hellhound. They sound adorable! :kimchi:

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm toying with an idea. Looks like I might be able to continue my loose DW campaign after a long while not playing (anything).

The thing is, one of the players wants to bring his GF, who has zero experience in RPGs. Which makes me giddy because teaching DW to someone completely new must be like being raised by wolves and then eating pizza as your first human meal.

The campaign left off when the two players found an idol in a creepy cave. Now, what I'm thinking, is that the idol connects to the plane of nightmares, which is a big part of my world. So, they get sucked into it, and meet the other 2 new players there, who were caught by the idol some time ago.

That said, I want to go a bit crazy here and give them a move so they wrestle control from the plane of nightmares with their minds, and change the land around them, invoke stuff, and whatever. I want to make this very powerful, but dangerous.

When you try to impose your mind in the plane of nightmares, say what your mind conjures and roll +WIS. On a 10+, choose one. on a 7-9, choose two.

You pass out.
Your subconscious mind can't stop thinking about what could go wrong. You invoke your mind's worst fear for the situation at hand.
You attract the atention of any Nightmare in the area.
You are sucked deeper into the nightmare world. Your body changes to reflect this.
Your mind explodes in a chilling scream that does 1d4 damage to every non nightmare entity in the area close to you.

Just my first thoughts, not very good but kinda the way I want this to work right now. Any ideas for making this more fun?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Apart from generally tweaking the presented options, I think it'd work better as a "choose X things that are guaranteed not to happen" kind of move. It's a small difference, but it gives the "toying with fire" feel to the whole thing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ratpick posted:

Alright, so the convention is over, and the three Dungeon World games I ran were pretty awesome. All game's had the same setup: You've all been jailed by the Duke of Gobertham. The rest of it I filled in by asking the players questions in character creation ("Why have you been jailed?", "What is the Duke's problem?" and "What is the great secret you know about the Duke?") Highlights from the three games include:

• First game: the Duke is trying to summon a great evil that will envelop the world in darkness and destroy it. The players arrive just in time to prevent the ritual taking place. I'd given the Elf Fighter a sidekick in the form of James, another of the Duke's prisoners, with Warrior +2. The Elf Fighter went on to challenge the Duke into combat, but also described that James was circling the Duke, ready to stab him with his sword. Player rolls a 7-9 on Hack and Slash meaning that he deals damage, but the Duke makes a counterattack targeting James. The great thing is, the +2 to damage granted by James was just enough to take the Duke down, but James is also killed in the process. The player narrates James stabbing the Duke in the side, the Duke retaliating by sticking his knife in James' gut, wounding him mortally, and as the Duke resumes his evil guy narration the Fighter's player describes his character sticking his sword through the Duke's neck. That was definitely the greatest narration of a Hack and Slash move, start to finish, I'd seen.
  • Also, in his death throes, James gave his final words. James was the coolest NPC, and all of his characterization came from the players.
  • Character creation, second game: I've established that the PCs have been jailed by the Duke of Gobertham and ask the Fighter's player what his beef with the Duke is. The player shouts "He's my good-for-nothing son! He usurped me from the criminal empire I'd worked so hard to build and used the money I'd made to buy himself a title!"
  • Second game, Human Wizard casts a spell. She'd previously described her character as having crazy eyes, always pointing in different directions except for when she was focused on reading. I do the old "What does she actually do when she casts a spell?" After a bit of consideration she declared that while casting spells her eyes actually became crazy focused as she muttered the incantations under her breath. The player remarked that she'd never actually had to think about stuff like that.
  • Also, second game, the players find out that the evil Duke who had previously jailed them is breeding giant rabbits using a magical mutagen to sell their oversized furs to dwarves for an insane profit. While the Duke is making their bad guy speech, the Ranger gets tired and declares, right out of nowhere, that he's shooting the Duke in the head. After I'd stopped laughing I just say "Okay, he's too distracted by his theatrics to pay you any mind. Go ahead and make the called shot." Ranger nails it, sending the Duke flying into a vat of said magical mutagen. He arises from the vat as pretty much a magically mutated Incredible Hulk.
  • The Elf Druid, who had been a technical pacifist until now, flies into a rage at the sight of the wanton animal cruelty, turning into a bear in order to wrestle the now mutated Duke. The Bard provides magical support by using Metal Hurlant which he'd just picked up, and it works, deafening the Hulk and distracting it for long enough for the bear Druid to get him in a full nelson. Unfortunately, the sound causes the cavern to start caving in.
  • As everyone decides that it's time to get the hell out of dodge the Druid breaks his hold on the Hulk in order to run away. As the Hulk makes one final effort to grab the Druid, the Ranger jumps in to defend, getting crushed by the Hulk's huge hand almost immediately. The Ranger provides a distraction to the group so they can get away, but dies...
  • Death appears in front of the Ranger, offering the Ranger "Your life in exchange for a life in my service." Effectively, the Ranger will thus become one of Death's reapers. The Ranger accepts the deal. As the Ranger emerges from the debris of the now collapsed castle without a scratch on him Death appears once again, saying "Now, you hold your end of the bargain." The Ranger simply gives Death his pet bird (named "Bird") and says "You did say a life in your service, not my life." Bird becomes the first Bird to become one of Death's servants as the Ranger walks away, but not before Death gives him one last bony finger.
  • Third game: the Duke, once again, is established as having dealings with demonic forces, but this time his demonic patron is more of a sly devil than a world-destroying menace trying to get out. The players run into the Duke's pet, a giant hell hound, and the Bard asks me (using his Bardic Lore) what it's weak point is. "They like to have their tummies rubbed." The Paladin uses I Am The Law and shouts "In the name of all that is good and holy, I demand you, demonic cur, to SIT!" As the hell hound sits, the Dwarf Fighter slides under the huge dog made of shadow and flame, starts rubbing its belly, and its demeanor suddenly turns into that of a huge playful puppy. As the players leave the hell hound behind the somber and dour dwarf is actually masking tears, because in that brief encounter he grew quite fond of the doggy.
  • During the final epic battle against the Duke the Bard takes a dagger to the gut, killing him. Player rolls a 6 on their Last Breath, but after the fight is over I give him one last moment to say his goodbyes. There's a very touching scene with him and the Paladin, the Bard asking if he'd done good and having the Paladin promise that they would sing of his deeds.
  • While all this is going on the Thief, somewhat separated from the rest of the party, hears a whisper from the darkness. It turns out to be the Duke's demonic patron, who now is missing a business partner and makes the Thief an offer she can't refuse: the demon will use his pull in the afterlife to get the Bard back, in exchange for a future service from the Thief, the terms of which will be determined at a later time. The Thief accepts on the condition that the demon adopt the now orphaned hell hound. :3: Bard comes back to life, the Dwarf who had thought him soft now considers him the toughest motherfucker in the World, and there's another touching scene with the Bard and the Paladin.
  • In the epilogue, the Dwarf and Thief go on to found a kennel dedicated to giving orphaned hell hounds a new home.

I might take a break from running this game for a while: as fun as the three games this weekend were, if I don't get a bit of variety in games in my life I might quickly burn out on Dungeon World. Still, it was a great weekend, and a lot of great fun was had.

:allears: Dungeon World as she is meant to be played.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ratpick posted:

[*]Death appears in front of the Ranger, offering the Ranger "Your life in exchange for a life in my service." Effectively, the Ranger will thus become one of Death's reapers. The Ranger accepts the deal. As the Ranger emerges from the debris of the now collapsed castle without a scratch on him Death appears once again, saying "Now, you hold your end of the bargain." The Ranger simply gives Death his pet bird (named "Bird") and says "You did say a life in your service, not my life." Bird becomes the first Bird to become one of Death's servants as the Ranger walks away, but not before Death gives him one last bony finger.

excellent

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's not super detailed, but here's some good advice on how to write adventures for DW: http://redboxvancouver.wordpress.com/2014/07/28/writing-dungeon-world-adventures-some-tips/

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Some spoilers for the next Dungeon World thing I am doing: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ePKUhH5i1yl2ySxTXPSXID1NRA2JHC_5pzA0YGmhDAQ/edit

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

LoTR adventure? :v:

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's not super detailed, but here's some good advice on how to write adventures for DW: http://redboxvancouver.wordpress.com/2014/07/28/writing-dungeon-world-adventures-some-tips/

Man I really want to buy his adventures but they're too expensive. If he did a bundle deal I would be all over it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Inverse World physical books are now for sale: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/128281/Inverse-World--A-Dungeon-World-Supplement

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

This is grand new. Grand!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

It's finally happening for me at the end of August...running the Eberron setting for my group in dungeon world :getin:

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
If anyone's interested, you can get a new class book called the Immolator when you join a donation drive.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.

slydingdoor posted:

If anyone's interested, you can get a new class book called the Immolator when you join a donation drive.

I can only say that class name as if it were in all-caps, while throwing up the horns and hearing a metal riff in my head.

:black101: THE IMMOLATOR :black101:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slydingdoor posted:

literally judging a book by its cover, but that sounds like a rather narrow concept

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

slydingdoor posted:

Does anyone know who wrote it? Is this a new playbook from Sage & Adam?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

gnome7 posted:

That's been my assumption based on how they've been talking about it.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

@Dungeon_World posted:

Join us in supporting @CodeLiberation and get our new playbook, the Immolator, over a month before anyone else: http://dungeon-world.com/give/
I assume Sage and Adam.

Tollymain posted:

literally judging a book by its cover, but that sounds like a rather narrow concept
Actually the moves draw from various fire themes. Here's a starter move trigger: "When you gaze intensely into someone eyes, you may ask their player “what fuels the flames of your desire?”"

Here's some advanced moves: Sick Burn (insult move), Burning Bridges (sacrifice bonds to be reborn), Moth to the Flame (tempt a weak mind with your inner fire).

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

gnome7 posted:

Adam just mentioned it in his "being everything else" stream with Steven Lumpkin, it's a new class Adam and Sage wrote.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I can't wait to see what you and Mikan write in mine. :allears:

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

slydingdoor posted:

I assume Sage and Adam.

Actually the moves draw from various fire themes. Here's a starter move trigger: "When you gaze intensely into someone eyes, you may ask their player “what fuels the flames of your desire?”"

Here's some advanced moves: Sick Burn (insult move), Burning Bridges (sacrifice bonds to be reborn), Moth to the Flame (tempt a weak mind with your inner fire).

The class still uses the Alignment/Race setup, but I guess this keeps it in theme with other books by the guys.
You fight unarmed and unarmored, just your fire, but combined with your starting moves, you can create any fire/flame weapon you want and when you take damage, you trigger a move that can possibly soak damage or increase your own. There are some other neat tricks too that reference different ways of using fire, like the above mentioned move, I don't want to spoil them all. The class blends pyromania, warlocks, and seer/prophetic traits that make it a wider themed class than just "burn, baby, burn."

The cause is a fantastically awesome one, so toss a dollar or more at them and check it out yourself. You will also be supporting women's equality in the gaming industry, something that is sadly nonexistent at this time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I've been considering trying out the creation of two playbooks and am wondering if there are ones already like them. The first is The Grenadier. Anarchist with a penchant for explosives, chemist with a taste for gunpowder, madman who just wants to watch things go boom.

The other is The Pacifist. It represents the type of character that doesn't want any trouble, but might have to dish it out if they need to. Maybe like a drunken master or a spinach eating sailor or a reluctant hero

Example Grenadier Starting Moves:
Building Bombs
When you have a spare hour or two and the necessary equipment, you can craft a batch of explosives. Choose two different tags, name the explosives and add a batch of it (default range Near, 3 Ammo) to your inventory.
Tags:
Damaging (Damage: 1d6), Incendiary, Forceful, Shrapnel (2 Piercing), Concussive (Damage: 1d6, Stunning), Blinding, Obscuring, Large (Range: Reach, +1 Damage), Small (+1 Ammo, -1 Damage)

Bombardier (Dex)
When you throw a bomb at a target, spend an ammo from the batch you're using and roll +DEX. On a 7+, your target and everything near the target are affected by the effects of the blast. On a 7-9, choose 1:
Your explosive's effects didn't do as planned. The GM will tell you how.
The effects of the blast hinder you or your allies in some way. Choose you or an ally to take -1 ongoing until you or they rest.
The blast wasn't as effective as planned. Choose one tag that is not used in the explosive.

Example Grenadier Additional Moves:
I'm Da Bomb
When using your explosives as Leverage in parley, take +1 Ongoing while dealing with them.

Anarchist's Cookbook
When using Building Bombs, add these tags to the list of available tags:
Tags:
Noxious, Corrosive, Sticky, Massive (-1 Ammo, +1d4 Damage), Loaded (choose a substance to fill the bomb with), Extinguishing, Cryonic, Voltaic, Ectoplasmic, Arcane

Additionally, when throwing a bomb with Bombardier, on a 12+, you may apply a bomb's tag an additional time on the target.

Example Pacifist Starting Moves
Do No Harm
When taking any action that might knowingly harm an individual, take -1 to that action.

My Favorite Thing
Choose a favorite activity that can be done alone (example: playing paddle-ball, drinking alcohol). Whenever you are interrupted while doing this activity, take +1 Forward on your next attack against whoever interrupted you and deal an additional +1 damage to them.

Secret Weapon
Choose a food or drink. Whenever you consume one portion of the chosen food or drink, take +1 Ongoing and your damage die becomes 1d8 for a few minutes.

Don't Want Any Trouble
Whenever you or something you defend are being attacked, take +1 Ongoing to prevent you or whatever you are defending from being harmed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Evil Mastermind posted:

I can't wait to see what you and Mikan write in mine. :allears:

Same, "We'll write random poo poo in your book" is a great pledge level.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Same, "We'll write random poo poo in your book" is a great pledge level.

Is the original Artificer from the OP the latest available? Just wondering since I have a player that wants to play one in an upcoming Eberron game.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Example Pacifist Starting Moves

Don't have a ton of time to type right now, but on a first glance all of these moves look to be +1's to various things which tends to be frowned upon around here. Because they're all numerical upgrades it doesn't really feel like they interface with the fiction all that much and they lack flavor. I'd recommend taking a look at some of the different playbooks that are in the OP for some inspiration on how to create moves that more directly allow the player to change the fiction of the game and that do a good job of conveying the identity of the playbook. In particular, I think the Survivor from Inverse World hits on some similar tropes as this class and it might be good to check it out.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Fenarisk posted:

Is the original Artificer from the OP the latest available? Just wondering since I have a player that wants to play one in an upcoming Eberron game.

Yes, it is.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

MagnesiumB posted:

Don't have a ton of time to type right now, but on a first glance all of these moves look to be +1's to various things which tends to be frowned upon around here. Because they're all numerical upgrades it doesn't really feel like they interface with the fiction all that much and they lack flavor. I'd recommend taking a look at some of the different playbooks that are in the OP for some inspiration on how to create moves that more directly allow the player to change the fiction of the game and that do a good job of conveying the identity of the playbook. In particular, I think the Survivor from Inverse World hits on some similar tropes as this class and it might be good to check it out.

I made a Pacifist for laughs a while ago. The concept is that you try to resist causing harm until you have no other choice.

The Pacifist

When the horror of fighting has become too much, and you swear to lay down your arms and do no violence again in your life, you may choose the following move the next time you level up:

In the name of Peace
You have a new stat: Peace. Peace starts at 0, but can be raised to +3 or lowered to -3. Each time you roll +Peace, reduce the Peace stat after you have resolved the move.

The Other Cheek
When you suffer harm without violently resisting,increase Peace by 1.

Open Palm
When you peacefully stand firm to defend a place, person, or ideal in the face of violence or opposition, roll+Peace. *On a 10+, your resolve causes the aggressor to back off. *On a 7-9, they hesitate, or look for support from subordinates or superiors, the GM will tell you how.

When you have In the Name of the Peace, the following moves count as class moves for you, and you may choose from them when you level up:

Voice of Reason
When you speak passionately for finding a peaceful resolution to a tense, charged situation, roll+Peace. *On a 10+, your words help them find common ground and you may be able to help them come to a resolution. *On a 7-9, Your words need some action or sacrifice to give them enough meaning - the GM will tell you what.

Saint’s Solace
When you provide solace and tranquility to the troubled and downtrodden, gain 2 Peace.

Breaking Point
When you break your vow of nonviolence and attack someone because the injustice of their actions is too great to bear, Chose an aggressor, you kill them, or utterly strike them down within your power and leave them defeated and broken. Then roll+Peace. *On a 10+, your faith in your beliefs and yourself is shaken to it’s core, set your Peace to -3. In addition, you are now known as an oathbreaker wherever you go. *On a 7-9, your actions are understandable, but shake your belief in your cause, reduce your Peace by 1. *On a 6-, you justify your actions as there being no other alternative, in this circumstance at least.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I recently started playing around with the idea of a compendium class about temporally paying stat points to empower summoned minions/ghosts/entities/whatever you want to flavour it as. Sort of a sacrifice power for power concept. I'm thinking a curse of some kind wherein you're strength is drained by some kind of haunting spectre, but you've learned to turn it to your advantage. The more you use it the weaker you become, but the minions are powerful and capable of achieving a lot.

I think it could lead to an interesting risk/reward playstyle, with the spent stat points restored on a full rest, and a small amount given back from a short rest. My only concern is that it could be quite fiddly to keep track off unless you pay into a pool of power or something.

Still working on the mechanics of it but I want to know what you guys think of the consept

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Sounds a bit like The Bonded.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Baby Babbeh posted:

Sounds a bit like The Bonded.

Which I also made. :v:

It still feels weird when people point to my work. It's almost as if people think it is good or something. :3:

I find I work around similar concepts often. Looking for alternative ways to implement them. The Bonded works around a constant companion and a build up of power through advanced moves. The risks are more immediate and less long term. You might take a big chunk of damage or grow a second head that breaths butterflies but oh look your pal is now super buff! This is more about a debilitating curse, slowly draining your stats point by point. It wastes you away, but within that is a great deal of potential power. Sort of like Greek Furies, but you can point them at someone else for a bit if you give up a bit of your charisma or intelligence or something.

I just want to see if it's something the thread feels is implementable within a game (due to needing to track what stat is at what) or if it is a stupid idea that should be buried and set on fire.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 4, 2014

EscortMission
Mar 4, 2009

Come with me
if you want to live.
Oh is it time to share our cool pacifist guy ideas? This is what I came up with after binge-watching Trigun and thought "Wow Vash the Stampede is a really cool guy." :3:

The Peacemaker posted:

HP: 8+Constitution | Damage: -

Drive
[ ] Diplomacy – Resolve a hostile situation without bloodshed.
[ ] Self-sacrifice – Put yourself in danger to help somebody who cannot help themselves.
[ ] Charity – Give of yourself without expectation of reward.

Background
Given Up The Sword: Add the following option to Peacekeeper – "You hit your enemy in a nonlethal area, stunning them."
Hippocratic Oath: You are always considered a healer for the purposes of recovery. When you use bandages, they heal 7+1d6 HP instead of 7.
Well-Meaning Klutz: If you roll 7-9 on Hack and Slash, you accidentally cause collateral damage instead of taking damage.

Starting Moves
Peacekeeper: When you would deal your damage, choose one of the following instead.
+One of your allies can take advantage of the distraction, taking +1 Forward.
+You do something disruptive to your opponent, interrupting their attack.

I Come In Peace: When you approach an opponent without a weapon or violent intent, you have time to speak to them without them attacking you. If anyone, on any side, expresses violent intent, the fragile peace is broken and they will attack.

Break the Cycle: When you spare an opponent, your conviction and mercy will inspire NPCs to also spare them. They may not like it, and might not forgive those who you have spared, but your belief has moved them.

2-5 Advanced Moves
[ ] Doctor Without Borders: When you Make Camp, you also heal 1d8 HP to or remove a debility from your allies.

[ ] [ ] [ ] Bloodstained Hands: Name an opponent that you have spared with Break the Cycle. They have been moved by your conviction, and now wander the world looking for redemption for their actions. If you cross paths with them, they will treat you as an ally. (You may take this Advance up to three times, and it applies to a different opponent each time.)

[ ] Friend To All Creatures: You have a special way with animals, and as long as you talk to them calmly and without aggression, they will not attack you or your allies unless provoked.

[ ] Good Will Toward Men Smash: Add the following option to Peacekeeper – "You smash your opponent backward as if from the Forceful tag."

[ ] Can't We Talk About This?: You take +1 forward when making Parley and Defy Danger (Charisma) rolls.

[ ] Battosai: When you are filled with outrage by an opponent's inhuman actions, add the following to Peacemaker's Strike.
+You shatter their defenses, reducing their armor by 2. If they have no armor remaining, in your blind rage, you leave them unable to hurt anyone ever again. Describe how you make sure of this.

6-10 Advanced Moves
[ ] Unlikely Allies: When you need help most, one of your opponents you named with Bloodstained Hands will arrive in the nick of time to provide assistance.

[ ] The Weight of the World: Instead of taking damage, you can take a disability you do not already have.

Part of the problem I had putting this together was that there's not a whole lot of game crunch left after you take out combat. You have to make sure noncombat is just as interesting as combat, which is admittedly pretty easy in Dungeon World, but still takes some extra design space that I had a hard time carving out.

I dunno I think there are some cool moves in there (I like Break the Cycle and Bloodstained Hands a lot) but I kind of gave up after a while, especially after realizing that Peacemaker's Strike is less "don't hurt people" and "make it really easy for my friends to hurt people". Maybe it would work better as a compendium class than a base class?

madadric posted:

Cool pacifist stuff

Or maybe there IS enough in here to make a base class. Open Palm is basically what I actually wanted Peacemaker's Strike to do, except less sit-in and more hitting a guy with a bokken.

EscortMission fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
If you're looking for a 'sucks up pain and then violently lashes out when it's too much' mechanic, I would create a class with a d4 damage die and moves that revolve around avoiding enemy attacks, distracting or confusing the enemy, and helping allies out of a spot. Those moves let the class gain Peace as a side effect. When the class attacks, they must spend their accumulated Peace, and can roll +Peace to get things like Forceful on the attack.