Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
enmity seems a bit harsh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

enmity seems a bit harsh

Perhaps disdain may be a better word?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe distrust?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Apathy?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Loathing?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I had pictured it as the robot you're commanding realising, after finishing off, realising it's been conned.

Maybe instead, choose 1:
* It follows the spirit as well as the word of your instruction
* It doesn't realise you're not its true master.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I took some stuff you guys said and went with this:

The Lost Arm
A glittering, golden arm, once belonging to a powerful automaton hero. His spirit lives on through the crystal inside and whispers to you. When you encounter a piece of the Old World, lay your hand upon it and roll+int. On a 7-9, you absorb the memories of the lost world. Ask the GM something about the thing you found. On a 10+, you revive the creation and bring it under your control. On a 6 or below, the creation breaks or goes haywire in some interesting way, tell your GM how.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I took some stuff you guys said and went with this:

The Lost Arm
A glittering, golden arm, once belonging to a powerful automaton hero. His spirit lives on through the crystal inside and whispers to you. When you encounter a piece of the Old World, lay your hand upon it and roll+int. On a 7-9, you absorb the memories of the lost world. Ask the GM something about the thing you found. On a 10+, you revive the creation and bring it under your control. On a 6 or below, the creation breaks or goes haywire in some interesting way, tell your GM how.
On a 6-, you have to spend time in detox.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Harrow posted:

Inkscape it is, then! This'll be a fun adventure.

What's the name of the font most DW playbooks use?

Most DW playbooks use Minion Pro, which is hiding in the Adobe Reader programs directory.

Headings are Newcomen for the original playbooks but that's a pay-for font; many third-party playbooks substitute Copperplate Gothic.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

What do you guys think of this magic item I came up with? Anything I should change?
Voltaic Gauntlet of Kalak
worn, bound, 1 weight
When you channel your life force into the gauntlet, take 1d4 damage (ignores armor) and roll+CON. On a 10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose one anyway, but the effect is weakened, uncontrolled, or not quite what you wanted.

*The gauntlet functions a weapon with the tags hand, element (electric), and messy for the rest of the scene. Additionally, any conductive weapon you hold in the gauntlet for the duration of the scene gains the element (electric) tag.
*An electrical device is powered as long as you are touching it with the gauntlet.
*A conductive object or creature within reach is struck by a bolt of electricity, dealing class damage with the element (electric) and messy tags.
*A dying creature you are touching with the gauntlet is either revived, at least temporarily, or in the case of a PC, are granted a +1 to their Last Breath roll.

Astro Ambulance fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 22, 2014

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013

Harrow posted:

I'm sure this comes up pretty regularly, but: does anyone know of any good examples of Dungeon World games that have been recorded and put on YouTube or whatever? I want to up my GMing game, especially when it comes to making combat more interesting and dramatic, but unfortunately most of the advice I've gotten has been more abstract than I'm capable of turning into actual GMing improvements.

Some videogames people I know started Friends at the Table recently if you want a more ongoing one.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Astro Ambulance posted:

What do you guys think of this magic item I came up with? Anything I should change?
Voltaic Gauntlet of Kalak
worn, bound, 1 weight
When you channel your life force into the gauntlet, sacrifice any number of HP and roll +that number. On a 10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose one anyway, but the effect is weakened, uncontrolled, or not quite what you wanted.

*The gauntlet functions a weapon with the tags hand, element (electric), and messy for the rest of the scene. Attacks with the gauntlet deal bonus damage equal to half the HP sacrificed, rounded down.
*An electrical device is powered for a while.
*A conductive object or creature within reach is struck by a bolt of lightning, dealing class damage plus the HP sacrificed, with the element (electric) and messy tags.
*A dying creature you are touching with the gauntlet is either revived at least temporarily, or in the case of a PC, are granted a +(number of HP sacrificed) to their Last Breath roll.

Made your thing more awesome. If they really want to spend half a dozen HP, let 'em.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 26, 2014

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

NinjaDebugger posted:

Made your thing more awesome. If they really want to spend half a dozen HP, let 'em.

Thanks, this is way more awesome.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Time to make a character that uses that who's sole purpose is to punch things so hard it kills us both

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I'll be GMing a game for a few friends for the first time soonish, and I decided to run Inverse World because DW's structure makes it look quite appealing to an unsure, newbie GM (and IW is just plain cooler than core DW). I just have one question about the Mechanic's "Let Me See That" Move: How liberally can the words "something interesting" be taken? I understand the design intent is to let you know things about machines, artifacts and other objects, but could you take it farther to ask questions about places, dead bodies or even living beings?

Also, I don't really... "Get" Multiclass moves. Like, they say "Choose the move as if you were one level lower", but I don't see any moves that are directly affected by your level aside from the core vancian spellcasting stuff, so it seems this only actually matters at levels 2 and 6? It feels like I'm missing something.
This seems even stranger for the IW "X Dabbler" moves. They're phrased to encourage you to stick to one niche or theme, but it seems that all that happens if you don't is that your choice will have to wait for another level, which doesn't seem very effective. What am I not seeing?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Terry van Feleday posted:

I'll be GMing a game for a few friends for the first time soonish, and I decided to run Inverse World because DW's structure makes it look quite appealing to an unsure, newbie GM (and IW is just plain cooler than core DW). I just have one question about the Mechanic's "Let Me See That" Move: How liberally can the words "something interesting" be taken? I understand the design intent is to let you know things about machines, artifacts and other objects, but could you take it farther to ask questions about places, dead bodies or even living beings?

In the Inverse World session we did for six feats under, our mechanic knew nothing about machines. She kept using Let Me See That on enemies, corpses, trees, everything except for machinery and devices.

quote:

Also, I don't really... "Get" Multiclass moves. Like, they say "Choose the move as if you were one level lower", but I don't see any moves that are directly affected by your level aside from the core vancian spellcasting stuff, so it seems this only actually matters at levels 2 and 6? It feels like I'm missing something.
This seems even stranger for the IW "X Dabbler" moves. They're phrased to encourage you to stick to one niche or theme, but it seems that all that happens if you don't is that your choice will have to wait for another level, which doesn't seem very effective. What am I not seeing?

Nah, you got it in one on the multiclass moves. It literally only matters at level 2 and level 6 unless you're picking wizard spellcasting moves, in which case you are always one level lower for spellcasting purposes. It's a weird bit of balancing to make you pick more of your own moves before picking other class's moves, but without actually limiting you in any significant or meaningful way. The real balance to multiclass moves is that most classes only have 2 of them, and powerful/narrowly focused classes might have less, while open-ended classes (like the Bard and Dashing Hero) will have more.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!
This seems like the typical case of an old school RPG veteran who doesn't get Dungeon World: http://mythcreants.com/blog/dungeon-world-is-a-game-to-skip/

zarathud fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 28, 2014

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

zarathud posted:

This seems like the typical case of an old school RPG veteran who doesn't get Dungeon World: http://mythcreants.com/blog/dungeon-world-is-a-game-to-skip/

Hey, he's not wrong about the Paladin. Yeesh that playbook is head and shoulders above any other corebook ones in power level, and many fan ones. Quest, I Am The Law, Exterminatus, Bloody Aegis. All really really powerful. And what does the Fighter get? +1d8 damage.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Doodmons posted:

Hey, he's not wrong about the Paladin. Yeesh that playbook is head and shoulders above any other corebook ones in power level, and many fan ones. Quest, I Am The Law, Exterminatus, Bloody Aegis. All really really powerful. And what does the Fighter get? +1d8 damage.

Idk, I don't think Paladin is that bad, balance-wise. Fighter gets 2 multiclass moves to poach whatever from wherever. Pally can get cleric spells but at that point its stats are being stretched between Str or Dex for H&S, Con for Defend, Wis for spellcasting and Cha for I Am The Law. Exterminatus ends up being a negative if the target disengages, and the debilities from Bloody Aegis can be more hindering than the damage it mitigates.

As far as damage output goes, Pally gets potentially 1d10 + 1d4 (Magic Weapon from cleric) + 2d4 (Exterminatus) + 1d8 (Holy Smite) = 17-18 damage on average. Yeah, that hurts.

Fighter can do that too; 1d10 + 1d4 (multiclass Cleric) + 2d4 (multiclass Pally) + 1d8 (Bloodthirsty). Fighter then has access to Blacksmith, Evil Eye, and Through Death's Eyes. Armor Mastery/Perfection does the same thing as Bloody Aegis with a different drawback, and you can always buy/steal/otherwise procure new armor after the quest/mission/job is done (or perhaps even during said mission).

Druid, Bard, Wizard, and Cleric are also all really powerful. Thief is the only class I feel is really desperate for some more power in its move list.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Doodmons posted:

Yes, the Paladin is really good at killing things and not dying.

But if you can't come up with a way to challenge somebody who's only immune to one thing, you need to watch some more Superman cartoons.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Harrow posted:

I'm sure this comes up pretty regularly, but: does anyone know of any good examples of Dungeon World games that have been recorded and put on YouTube or whatever? I want to up my GMing game, especially when it comes to making combat more interesting and dramatic, but unfortunately most of the advice I've gotten has been more abstract than I'm capable of turning into actual GMing improvements.

Misscliks had a game of Dungeon World GMed by Dungeon World co-creator Adam Koebel.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
My little brother has been watching a lot of the show Wild Kratts on PBS, and let me tell you, it's actually a really great resource if you're playing a Druid. The basic premise is that these two zoologists run around rescuing animals. They wear these suits called Creature Power suits that let them take special animal powers, and generally the episode has them using about three of these powers from one animal. Basically the show gives you a huge grab bag of monster moves you can grab for a Druid's wild shape, and it's surprisingly useful.

It's also not the worst edutainment show for small children around, though it is far from the best.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Ha, my three-year-old watches this and I had never even thought of that. Awesome catch!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

zarathud posted:

It's hard to take someone seriously when they call DW's character creation restrictive.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Elderbean posted:

It's hard to take someone seriously when they call DW's character creation restrictive.

If you follow EXACTLY what's on the sheet without embellishing, and don't use custom classes (or use very narrow-concept classes), it could feel that way I suppose.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Elderbean posted:

Yeah? My first thought when skimimng through the DW book was "you don't get heaps of character options". Then I, you know, read and understood the book. I can see how you'd make the mistake at a glance, or if you'd tried to read only the rules parts and skipped all the "how to Dungeon World" bits.

That guy's read the book (and apparently played the game) without understanding what he's read. I mean, he manages to complain that there's no explanation of what advantages a Reach weapon offers

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 3, 2015

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

zarathud posted:

I wanted to read this and see what he is bitching about, but he alludes to his own articles via hyperlink constantly, like he is some credible source worth quoting. What a superego. Besides that, it looks like he went into the book wanting to dislike it. Like someone way hyping it up to him and they accidentally offended some material he though was good, so he went into it with a jaded outlook.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Teonis posted:

Like someone way hyping it up to him and they accidentally offended some material he though was good, so he went into it with a jaded outlook.

EditionWars.txt, basically. Like that exact situation seems to be square one of all that kind of stuff

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does anyone have a link to a good one shot adventure? I'm introducing some people to Dungeon World and I want something that's fun and not poo poo like something I would probably come up with.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The Indigo Galleon is a pretty good starting adventure - you can find it on the Dungeon World website. I think there are some others available there too.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

That guy's read the book (and apparently played the game) without understanding what he's read. I mean, he manages to complain that there's no explanation of what advantages a Reach weapon offers

I did a writeup for 13th Age a few weeks back on standardizing weapon damages, and importing tags from dungeon world. Didn't get much feedback, but what I did went completely over one guy's head on G+.

Myrmidongs posted:

Awkward: It drops damage die down a step in close-quarters situations (D10 becomes D8, etc)

quote:

Awkward - as "close quarter situations" isn't defined in 13th Age, you might want to adjust this somehow

He complained about that, but not about Reach. I mean, I even made it explicit what negative effect it might have, but apparently that isn't enough.

Myrmidongs fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 3, 2015

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Myrmidongs posted:

I did a writeup for 13th Age a few weeks back on standardizing weapon damages, and importing tags from dungeon world. Didn't get much feedback, but what I did went completely over one guy's head on G+.

He complained about that, but not about Reach. I mean, I even made it explicit what negative effect it might have, but apparently that isn't enough.

The thing that amazes me about the guy commenting on DW's Reach is that it actually is defined in the book as "allows you to attack out to this range" or something similar.

I haven't read 13th Age anywhere near thoroughly, but I guess you're using plain English when you say "close-quarters situations" and the 13th Age rules don't have anything that sounds kinda similar (eg, range categories like near/far) that he thought you were adding a new section to? e: I'm not defending the guy, it sounds like he totally missed the whole point, just wondering if "close quarters" sounds similar to something that already exists in the game.

I guess I need to add "actually read 13th Age" to my list of stuff to do this year, since it keeps coming up.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 3, 2015

protomexican
May 1, 2009
A while back somebody posted a link to a blog where a guy DM'ed dungeon world for his elementary school students. Does anybody still have that link? I remember the blogging really good.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
That would be Dungeon Elementary, most likely.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

AlphaDog posted:

The thing that amazes me about the guy commenting on DW's Reach is that it actually is defined in the book as "allows you to attack out to this range" or something similar.

I haven't read 13th Age anywhere near thoroughly, but I guess you're using plain English when you say "close-quarters situations" and the 13th Age rules don't have anything that sounds kinda similar (eg, range categories like near/far) that he thought you were adding a new section to? e: I'm not defending the guy, it sounds like he totally missed the whole point, just wondering if "close quarters" sounds similar to something that already exists in the game.

I guess I need to add "actually read 13th Age" to my list of stuff to do this year, since it keeps coming up.

Actually, Close Quarters is already a term in 13th Age. It's a keyword for spells. If a spell is Close Quarters, then you can use it while engaged with an enemy without triggering an opportunity attack. If a spell is not, then casting it while next to an enemy is dangerous.

So having something trigger an effect while you are in close quarters is actually 100% covered within the rules, even without using plain terms english. That said, a melee weapon that deals less damage in close quarters doesn't really work well by that definition, unless it is also Reach or something so you can bash people with it while not being engaged with them.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

gnome7 posted:

Actually, Close Quarters is already a term in 13th Age. It's a keyword for spells. If a spell is Close Quarters, then you can use it while engaged with an enemy without triggering an opportunity attack. If a spell is not, then casting it while next to an enemy is dangerous.

So having something trigger an effect while you are in close quarters is actually 100% covered within the rules, even without using plain terms english. That said, a melee weapon that deals less damage in close quarters doesn't really work well by that definition, unless it is also Reach or something so you can bash people with it while not being engaged with them.

I dunno I just sort of assumed people could figure it out on their own without having to break it down into explicit 5-foot radius stuff. That and there is already a small section in the 13A book which already basically says GMs should be free to penalize huge weapons in tight spaces. Again, though I just never figured anyone would care about the semantics of "close quarters vs tight spaces" let alone read that and not understand.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Len posted:

Does anyone have a link to a good one shot adventure? I'm introducing some people to Dungeon World and I want something that's fun and not poo poo like something I would probably come up with.

Some other resources you can peruse:

FMG's Dungeon Starters

Adventures from Joe Banner

Running Tight 4-Hour Dungeon World One-Shots With Zero Preparation

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Okay Dungeon World nerdos, I need you to sell me on this system because I think this is what I need, I'm just not sure.

How is Dungeon World for DMs?

I was always a huge loving fan of D&D 4e. About a year and a half ago, I got together a group and I DM'ed a campaign over the following year. It was always fun for them, but after a while it became a bit of a chore for me as DM. I spent more time juggling numbers than actively enjoying the moment to moment and I had to spend hours upon hours preparing for every time the group met. Drawing maps, preparing character tokens, excessively planning every encounter and so forth. poo poo took a lot of time and piles of rules as my group enjoyed sticking to rules rather than flying by the seat of their pants (not that it was a bad thing, they were super rule sticklers, just we always had rulebooks around to check things).

Well, recently my wife and I moved for her school and one of her classmates approached me about D&D. He had played D&D many years ago but doesn't remember anything about it, he just wants to do some fantasy tabletop gaming basically and asked if I would DM some stuff. I don't want the chore associated with D&D 4e, so I remember someone telling me a while back that Dungeon World is a lot more free flowing and adaptable.

If this is true, I would love to run a similar campaign to the one I had with my prior group with this new group we're forming. How easy/hard would it be to apply something like that to Dungeon World? How rules lite is it? I'd much rather spend a lot more time having character interactions than two hours combat encounters split up between ten minutes of roleplaying.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm on my phone, so I can't really articulate why, and I'm sure someone else will roll in and explain in more detail, but DW is basically perfect for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We did the Indigo Galleon last night with me and four players. Two of the players had played a Dungeon World back in 2012 and some D&D, one has only played like 3 D&D 3.5 games, and the last had never played any tabletop RPG before.

Everyone picked up on how to play within ten minutes and by the end of 3 hours even the person who had never played before wanted to play again. I would call that a success.