Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

thefakenews posted:

Honestly, it was basically a thought experiment around trying to make DW moves that capture some of the mechanics of Dark Souls, so the bonfire and NPC stuff was included more as a nod to the games than because I think they would be great in play. I think if there was more than one player the bonfire stuff could work out pretty messily. It might work out as a one on one thing, but I'm not into that sort of play so I doubt I'll ever test it.

I think maybe there's something interesting in the stamina/combat moves if I think a little deeper though.

I suppose you could always try and represent jolly cooperation with a move for summoning someone else to your world. But beyond that there isn't much co-op within the Dark Souls games. It's very much a lone person verses a lot of horrible poo poo looking to kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
I ran DW Dark Souls as a drop-in drop-out PUG type thing I want to say a few summers ago. Did the split screen thing, people had their own solo stuff to deal with or they could White Phantom it up. Lurkers liked it because they could just chill in someone else's party while everyone else went crazy posting back and forth. They got to touch one another's bloodstains and laugh, get made fun of by NPCs for being fukkin casuls, and feel real sad when they failed to protect their summoner. It was great. I absolutely would not run it anyway but PbP.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Arashiofordo3 posted:

I suppose you could always try and represent jolly cooperation with a move for summoning someone else to your world. But beyond that there isn't much co-op within the Dark Souls games. It's very much a lone person verses a lot of horrible poo poo looking to kill you.

My second play through of DS2 was co-op with a friend. The vast majority of that game can be co-oped. The original Dark Souls, not so much.

Ultimately, a lot of what makes Dark Souls what it is can't be captured in normal tabletop gaming. You can capture some of the tone and style, but not a lot of the mechanics.

Edit:

Revised version of the rules:

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 26, 2016

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Looking at moving a campaign into DW, but a big part of it is that we're in charge of a small faction (We're moving from REIGN). Are there any good supplements out there for "campaign table" moves so to speak? Looked through the OP and the Homestead rules, which seemed like they might have something worth cribbing, are behind archives :<

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Fenarisk posted:

The Homestead
This playbook is shared by the group, or an elected leader, and represents the players' home, base of operations, or safe haven between adventures.

Fill in the following:

*Our town is well known for _____
*Our town's main export is ______
*Our town may seem quiet, but a lingering secret is _______ (GM picks one in addition, in secret)
*Our town would be lost without the guidance of ________
*Our town prospers thanks to ________

Moves

Prosperity For All!
When you attempt to improve the town through morale, resources, or a show of adventuring investment by way of festivals, events, or tournaments roll +CHA.

The Best Defense...
When you attempt to rally guards, hire on men at arms, or fortify the town in defense of any current or future threats, roll +CHA.

Never Built in a Day
When you attempt to grow the town's size, population, trade capacity or forge new alliances by way of diplomacy and safety roll +CHA.

These Lands Will Be Mine
When you attempt to annex new lands, invade held territories or act on a show of strength against rivals to increase the standing of your town, roll +STR.

Knife-Edge Diplomacy
When talks of peace go wrong, or when outright acts of defiance or violence would be best kept to the shadows, roll +INT.

Compendium Holdings:
*Fortress (When you succeed against an enemy attack and prosper in the aftermath...)
*Retreat (When you take travelers and sages in with open arms...)
*Merchant City (When you provide lodgings for traveling merchants or open up a new trade route...)
*Refuge (When you willingly take in those of less than honorable mention or of shady dealings...)

Here you go, I went and quoted them for you.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
So I posted to last month's chat thread about running a game for people who have never pretended to be elves before and even though everyone was shouting about Gamma World, I decided to run Dungeon World.
And then there was a snag!

fool_of_sound posted:

Don't run Dungeon World unless you're familiar with actually making its combat exciting, which is more difficult that it should be.
This seems to be the place to ask, so what did they mean? What should I be on the lookout for with regards to the combat? It's gonna be my first time running a game of dungeon world so anything would be helpful.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Dungeon World in general, and especially combat, functions best when the players always have clear prompts to react to. Never say 'there's goblins, what do you do?' always put the players on the spot. 'Goblins are throwing a shitton of nasty daggers at your buddy Frank, what do you do?' The players need to always be in situations where it's clear what the serious penalty for inaction will be.

Also, read the Dungeon World Guide.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tendales posted:

Dungeon World in general, and especially combat, functions best when the players always have clear prompts to react to. Never say 'there's goblins, what do you do?' always put the players on the spot. 'Goblins are throwing a shitton of nasty daggers at your buddy Frank, what do you do?' The players need to always be in situations where it's clear what the serious penalty for inaction will be.

Also, read the Dungeon World Guide.

This, plus the dude you quoted has beef with "storygames" iirc.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I think it's legitimate to say that if you think lots of dice rolling for result is exciting, like a game is craps, Dungeon World isn't the best at scratching your itch. In other games you just say, "we're hitting each other" and roll the dice a lot.

I find it hard to come up with enough interesting prompts to get through a combat in DW, but I'd also say it's usually more interesting even when done at a mediocre level.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I ran DW as a daddy+daughter game for some friends, and for the most part it was cool and fun, but I also struggled a bit. The dads were both former D&D players and the girls were both around ten, which meant that everyone expected that there would be an orderly sequence of turns. That can work but it doesn't work nearly as well as a more cinematic approach would, especially because it's not always clear what constituted a turn. The ranger who always wanted to stay out of range and volley would end up taking turns that were nothing more than "I hit, -1 ammo, 4 damage." The older players, more confident, would want to do daring stuff that often required multiple rolls, and then the kids would be frustrated that they were only rolling once while the adults got to roll over and over again. If I had it to do over again, I'd have sat them down and watched the New York battle in The Avengers. "See how the camera follows one hero for a bit, then changes to a different hero, but it's still all the same fight? That's how combat works. One person takes a turn and does some cool stuff, and then someone else takes center stage, and it's my job to decide when that happens. When it's not your turn, just listen and imagine you were watching the fight on the big screen."

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
That's a really cool idea. I've wondered about doing something like that as well, because my players also keep thinking in 'turns' but I hadn't thought of a good movie scene to convey the flow in DW combat. The scene you mention sounds perfect. On the other hand, perhaps just telling the players to "enjoy the show" while another player is doing something might go a long way, combined with trying to give the ranged people on the back line some more trouble like getting flanked, getting charged by fast movers, or taking away their ranged options somehow.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Yes, one of the problems we've been having with combat in our games is how static the scene can feel if the GM isn't continually pushing to keep things moving. It's vital to keep thinking about what characters' and monsters' attacks are doing in the fiction as well as just what they mean in system terms.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

The GM needs to make lots and lots of "soft moves" all of the time, and in addition to that make "hard moves" when people fail or the threatening "soft moves" snowball. Players' getting caught in a loop is a kind of "whenever everyone looks to you to see what happens," which as you know means the GM must make a move. If you're having trouble coming up with things on the fly, prepare more. Flesh out any skeletons: that's why the GMing principles include "name every person," "draw maps, leave blanks" and "give every monster life." There's no 'gold star' for completely improvising a great game, and preparation really helps with stress, especially when but even if it isn't your first time. Resist the urge to foist the description of the world or situation on your players.

Telling the players to be fans of one another's characters, be good spectators when it isn't their turn, and then build upon and around the fiction the others and the GM have created when it is their turn: those are all great ideas whether the players are familiar with other RPGs or not. Saying there are no 'turns' is a little disingenuous: what that means is there's no initiative that determines whether you're in combat or dictates the turn order. Having a bunch of players interrupting or otherwise talking over one another is lovely: one principle I would add is "being a good spectator means letting people finish unless they ask for suggestions."

I have a verbose block of principles for that which I've started making a part of my introductory spiel before I get into the game. Sort of like a ritual thing to get people in the right state of mind.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

slydingdoor posted:

I have a verbose block of principles for that which I've started making a part of my introductory spiel before I get into the game. Sort of like a ritual thing to get people in the right state of mind.

Do you have these written out in a format that you could share? This sounds like it could be pretty helpful to some people, and at least a great insight into others' GMing for others.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
It's strange because I've had the same experience with DW mentioned here, where it feels like more of a struggle to keep things flowing with GM moves, especially in combat. But when I think about it, I'm doing the same thing when I'm MCing other PbtA games. In fact, I don't think I'm doing any less work. It just feels smoother.

I suspect it has to do with the fact that, ultimately, DW's genre is D&D, so it has baked into it the expectation of discrete actions and turn-taking. So everyone at the table is defaulting to that expectation (which is reasonable in the genre) which makes things feel choppy.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of the Guide...

A while ago someone pointed out that some of the advice is a little outdated based on our current understanding of "PbtA technology". Things like the difference between a hard move and a soft move, and...one or two other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

With the new edition of AW coming out, I was thinking that it might be a good idea to update the Guide to a generic PbtA thing. I haven't talked to scrape in ages, but I know he considered us "co-owners" even though he did the majority of the writing, so I don't know how practical doing this would be.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Blasphemeral posted:

Do you have these written out in a format that you could share? This sounds like it could be pretty helpful to some people, and at least a great insight into others' GMing for others.

quote:

Before everything else: some ground rules on how we're gonna play, that I will enforce as best I can.

loving Participate: If you're gonna write/talk you must read/listen, playing this game is about conversing in it and about it. A player shouldn't be the only fan of their character, you all be one another's fans too. Converse with everyone about what you like and where you'd like things to go not just in character but out of character too especially during breaks when it won't necessarily interrupt the flow.

No Lone Wolfing: related to the one above, your characters can still disagree and do stuff the others don't want because tension in a story is good, but don't fully go solo unless you want to roll up a new character, which is totally fine, and might even be awesome. Whatever your characters do should always end up in service to the goal that the whole group shares, of characters and players, before any other goal. If this ever gets called into question you better have a good answer, no "wait for it." More often than not it's one of those "if you have to ask" situations, and you should come back and regroup a little because you're probably derailing the game.

Participation over Principles: just because this is a [genre] game doesn't mean anyone gets to police other people's contributions for not being [motifs] enough, or fitting in with the lore or mechanics of the actual [media/source] or irl history or fencing techniques or simulationism or anything like that. This is fiction. People are gonna write/talk about what they like, what they're interested in, what they're enthusiastic about. So just get on board and roll with it.

Safety: sort of an addendum to the last one. If anyone wants to put anything off limits because it makes them feel unsafe or uneasy, they get to say so at any time and boom, it's off limits, edited out or replaced, no questions asked unless they're solicited. This is a game about the trails and costs of the lives of a party of adventurers. For instance [give a personal example of what you don't want to read/hear about at them moment or maybe in the future], and sometimes I don't want to read/hear or watch anything with that while I'm playing a game for fun. If anyone says the words, that takes priority over anyone else's interests or the perfect symbolism or whatever. Tell me about it in private if you want. It's a game, games are supposed to be fun. Everyone's got the right to feel safe.

Talking Stick: before you start your turn, make sure you aren't straight up negating or destroying what's anyone's established in the fiction without that person's express permission. No writing/saying "Nah what's actually true is what I want." What the people before you have established is their contribution, they have sole control over it even when their turn's over. You and I have to build on top of or around it, by saying stuff like "but this also happens", "then this happens," or "it has a bigger effect than anticipated." People are gonna be real reluctant to turn over the Talking Stick if they think their contribution's just gonna get trampled. That said whenever you aren't sure you're triggering a move that rolls dice, ask, especially me. Sometimes you are, sometimes you're not, usually I tell you what move it'd trigger, implicitly ask "are you sure?" and give you a chance to reconsider, or to roll the dice, see the results and go from there instead of narrating far past the point where randomness "seeds" the fiction.

Asking for and giving help: sometimes you're holding the Talking Stick and you draw a blank. That's okay, you can ask other players for help without giving away the Talking Stick, you still have final say on how things happen. Put your own spin on the help, take it, leave it, whatever. Helpers: no matter how good your idea is, don't blurt it out until your help is solicited or the person with the Talking Stick is done with it. If you want to run with that great idea, you sure can when you have the Talking Stick.
(You can replace Talking Stick with Turns or Turn-taking. To be honest it's part of my leveraging my native american heritage to guilt people into following the principles I lay out.)

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

slydingdoor posted:

(You can replace Talking Stick with Turns or Turn-taking. To be honest it's part of my leveraging my native american heritage to guilt people into following the principles I lay out.)

These are real good. I've been trying to run a game with some friends of mine and I'm have a really hard time with some of them, even seasoned RPG veterans.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

thefakenews posted:

My second play through of DS2 was co-op with a friend. The vast majority of that game can be co-oped. The original Dark Souls, not so much.

Ultimately, a lot of what makes Dark Souls what it is can't be captured in normal tabletop gaming. You can capture some of the tone and style, but not a lot of the mechanics.

Edit:

Revised version of the rules:

Would it be rude to ask if you could upload that as a pdf, if possible? I'm sorry if it is. It's just closer to how I normally keep documents like that.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Covok posted:

Would it be rude to ask if you could upload that as a pdf, if possible? I'm sorry if it is. It's just closer to how I normally keep documents like that.

The latest revision of the basic moves, plus my attempt at converting magic.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

You are doing the lord's work, thefakenews. You've inspired a non-goon friend of mine who's always been super hesitant about roleplaying but loves dark souls to want to try and run a game of Dungeon Souls.

I'll keep the thread posted if anything comes of it.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Fumbles posted:

You are doing the lord's work, thefakenews. You've inspired a non-goon friend of mine who's always been super hesitant about roleplaying but loves dark souls to want to try and run a game of Dungeon Souls.

I'll keep the thread posted if anything comes of it.

Awesome! One thing to watch out for, I haven't addressed how the new combat moves interact with any class moves that refer to Hack & Slash. Some of them can probably be changed so that they work when you use any combat move. Some of them might just have to be avoided. To work fully, I think Souls World would need custom play books. I might think about that at some stage, but I'm busy working on my 17th Century monsters hunters PbtA game at the moment.

Also, I mentioned it in the Torchbearer thread, but any Souls fans should check out Brendan Conway's Cold Ruins of Last Life when it is released. I have a backer PDF and it is a great setting book for a Dark Souls inspired Dungeon World campaign. It's by the same author of Last Days of Anglekite if that means anything to anyone (which it should).

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I made some Soulsborne houserules for a DW PbP game here that have some altered classes and such.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

I have a few thoughts that I'd like to share:

-I feel humanity, as implemented, may actually a bit anti-Dark Souls. Dark Souls is about dying and dying and dying again until you quit or win, but humanity, as implemented, basically gives Dungeon World a lives system. Now, I understand that, in tabletop gaming, there needs to be some sort of penalty, but there should be some implication that humanity can be regained. As a quest item: something to drive play forward.
-Thinking it over, ultimately, the rigid class system of Dungeon World might always hold this hack back. Now, perfect emulation may actually be terrible, but it's worth considering some alterations to make the class system more rigid. After all, in Dark Souls, class only decided your starting point and you can grow into any character from there. There is a gimp to trying to move to something later, of course. Perhaps, make it so that someone can take a move from another playbook at every level up instead of one of their own moves. This would, of course, mean multiclass dabbler and the like are invalidated. Might not work out the best in play and I may be focusing too much on emulation and not enough on what makes PbtA work. Worth considering, I feel.
-Some MC/Adventure advice that suggests smaller and split parties might hit the DS tone better. All of the participants in alternate paths only joining when summoned. Brings new meaning for the MC move "split them up." Might be best as a suggestion, though, and mostly regulated to pbp.
-The INT requirement on spell atunnement t just rubs me the wrong way. Could just be and I'm only one voice, but somehow I feel a level+2 system might be more balanced between playbooks.
-I worry, a bit, if the whole spell system might be a bit against the ethos of pbta. That isn't a problem, necessarily. People who don't mind and want a more DS experience will enjoy it and those who don't like that type of play don't need to use the hack,. However, a lot of overly gamely stuff causes weird things in play with this engine. It's not something I'd change yet, but something I would definitely press in questions when trying to get feedback on it.
-I know this is likely more a matter of "I haven't gotten to it yet" but the MC section will definitely need a re-write to fit the new setting. Some more biting and cruel moves. The MC section tends to be overlooked when adjusting PbtA, but it's a great source of changing the flow and feel of a title.
-I like how you changed Evasive Fighting and Defy Danger. Before, it was confusing to know when to use which.

Overall, I'm hopeful for it and like the idea of it, but these parts seem like they can be issues. Ultimately, I'm just one voice, I'm not an expert on DW or PbtA, and I've never used these rules in play, but it's something to consider.

Edit: You might want to go the extra mile and consider doing some altered classes to fit into the hack's design. If nothing else, if you change the magic system, the cleric and wizard can't stay as is.

Edit Edit: Oh, you get Humanity back from leveling up. That could work, but maybe something that can also be obtained as a question item to drive play? Just a thought. Feels less important with that, but I question which works better for Dark Souls, ya know?

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 9, 2016

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Covok posted:

I have a few thoughts that I'd like to share:

-I feel humanity, as implemented, may actually a bit anti-Dark Souls. Dark Souls is about dying and dying and dying again until you quit or win, but humanity, as implemented, basically gives Dungeon World a lives system. Now, I understand that, in tabletop gaming, there needs to be some sort of penalty, but there should be some implication that humanity can be regained. As a quest item: something to drive play forward.

As you note below, there is a built in way to regain humanity, but using it as a reward might also work. I haven't actually played this hack (and never really intended too - I wrote it as a thought experiment really) so I haven't given a lot of thought to stuff like GM moves and rewards etc. While it is a departure from Dark Souls, I didn't want resurrection to be totally open ended because I'm not certain that works all that well in a tabletop game.

An alternative might be that you can alway resurrect and you spend humanity to pay off a loss of max HP/debilities.

For reference the death move in Cold Ruins of Last Life looks like this:

The Dead Awakening

When you lose your last hp in Lastlife, you die, falling where you stand. As long as your body is not utterly destroyed, the strange mists of Lastlife will converge on you and carry your body to the last place you rested. You will come back to yourself, but the circumstances may be dangerous. Roll 2d6. On a hit, you’re restored with half of your maximum hit points. On a 7-9, pick one from below.
• Permanently lose 1 bond.
• Permanently mark a debility.
• Permanently cross off both one Radiance and one Memory improvement; you can never take those advancements.
On a miss, you are restored with one hit point; pick one from the list, and know that the mists have revealed your vulnerability to something dangerous that now hunts you.

If PCs ever lose all of their bonds or permanently mark off every debility, they become the mindless undead.

quote:

-Thinking it over, ultimately, the rigid class system of Dungeon World might always hold this hack back. Now, perfect emulation may actually be terrible, but it's worth considering some alterations to make the class system more rigid. After all, in Dark Souls, class only decided your starting point and you can grow into any character from there. There is a gimp to trying to move to something later, of course. Perhaps, make it so that someone can take a move from another playbook at every level up instead of one of their own moves. This would, of course, mean multiclass dabbler and the like are invalidated. Might not work out the best in play and I may be focusing too much on emulation and not enough on what makes PbtA work. Worth considering, I feel.

I think I said previously, a proper hack needs its own playbooks. I would likely make a small number to represent some of the starting archetypes (i.e pyromancer, knight, wanderer). My feeling is they should be relatively interchangeable, which goes totally against the PbtA ethos, but I'm not totally convinced it can't work.

quote:

-Some MC/Adventure advice that suggests smaller and split parties might hit the DS tone better. All of the participants in alternate paths only joining when summoned. Brings new meaning for the MC move "split them up." Might be best as a suggestion, though, and mostly regulated to pbp.

Again, I haven't given much thought to MC advice because I never really intended to use the hack or make much of it. Definitely this is all important stuff for making a fully functional hack.

quote:

-The INT requirement on spell atunnement t just rubs me the wrong way. Could just be and I'm only one voice, but somehow I feel a level+2 system might be more balanced between playbooks.
-I worry, a bit, if the whole spell system might be a bit against the ethos of pbta. That isn't a problem, necessarily. People who don't mind and want a more DS experience will enjoy it and those who don't like that type of play don't need to use the hack,. However, a lot of overly gamely stuff causes weird things in play with this engine. It's not something I'd change yet, but something I would definitely press in questions when trying to get feedback on it.

Yeah, I went back and forth on the INT requirement. Ultimately I went with it because in the Souls games attunement is governed by a stat, and you have to invest in it. I wrote the magic system with the idea that the hack needs it own playbooks, none of which would have other methods of spell casting. It is my intention that the magic system would replace spell casting classes entirely. Basically, having a lot of spells would then be a build choice, as it is in Dark Souls.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Is there a good Illusionist class? I didn't see one listed in the OP, and the core wizard has hardly any illusion spells beyond Prestidigitation, which explicitly can't fool anyone.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Is there a good Illusionist class? I didn't see one listed in the OP, and the core wizard has hardly any illusion spells beyond Prestidigitation, which explicitly can't fool anyone.

I personally like gnome7's Masked Mage playbook. It can create illusions and do tricky things with masks and stuff!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I actually get to play a one shot instead of running one this week, and I'm leaning toward wizard. Does anyone have cool ideas for places of power to inspire me?

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

PerniciousKnid posted:

I actually get to play a one shot instead of running one this week, and I'm leaning toward wizard. Does anyone have cool ideas for places of power to inspire me?

The tower of the vanished artificer-lich Deyra Jarh.
The ancient menhir where humans and elves first met in peace.
The antiquated spire that marks the skyline of the bustling city of Karamorran.
The Wellspring of Coruscating Light.
The place where the shattered moon's remnants landed.
The tomb-library of the dead god of secrets.
The place where the bones of the first dragon are scattered.
The ash desert that marks where the first demon set foot in the world.
The hidden caves of the long-extinct ice dwarves.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Places of power don't just have to be a place. They can be places in time as well.

The Lunar Vergence, a moment every 10000 years, when all five moons are full.

The 7th hour of the 7th day of the 7th anniversary of great Lich's apotheosis.

A temple during the vernal equinox, when the veil between worlds is thinnest.

The sacred stones of the elderwoods, as the noonday sun first touches them.

Amongst the ironwood trees during the first lightning strikes of a maelstrom.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
So, all the first session advice is to just hand them the sheets and explain how to play this and do some world building. That's great, especially for someone like me who doesn't get fronts.
What are some good things to jam out on the first sessions?

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Ominous Jazz posted:

So, all the first session advice is to just hand them the sheets and explain how to play this and do some world building. That's great, especially for someone like me who doesn't get fronts.
What are some good things to jam out on the first sessions?

Make a really easy simple threat but let them riff on motivations and stuff. A orc tribe, elven bandits, a bog standard necromancer. And then ask the players why those dudes are there or whatever and go jazz from there.

/edit and don't forget the real dungeon world classic, "What is an Elf?"

Jintor fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 19, 2016

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Jintor posted:

"A miserable pile of sparkles."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

potatocubed posted:

"A miserable pile of sparkles."

An arboreal race of fascists waging a never ending war of extermination against races they see as "lesser" eg. Everyone.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Error 404 posted:

An arboreal race of fascists waging a never ending war of extermination against races they see as "lesser" eg. Everyone.

Something we haven't quite gotten around to killing yet.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
What are elves if not orcs who have ascended to purity?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I'm working on layout for the PDF of Lands of the Dead, including my scruffy artwork. Comments, suggestions, and criticism are invited.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4w2ZvCSYT6AMlVUbU4zdDdRdk0

Google Doc here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-tO8mux58YHCpX7wGGDnnv9siL58w4yN-v2M8C3lBmQ

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Jintor posted:

Make a really easy simple threat but let them riff on motivations and stuff. A orc tribe, elven bandits, a bog standard necromancer. And then ask the players why those dudes are there or whatever and go jazz from there.

In addition to this, I find it helps engage players the most when you start them in immediate danger. After you finish the setup the group doesn't start wandering around in the woods looking for orcs, they just tripped the perimeter alarms of the camp and two orcish scouts are pointing their drawn bows at you, what do you do? No, Derek, don't look at your sheet, what do you do?

I also like to ask the players a couple of questions about the immediate situation, such as "Derek, how did you screw up and trigger the alarm?"

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 20, 2016

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

madadric posted:

I'm working on layout for the PDF of Lands of the Dead, including my scruffy artwork. Comments, suggestions, and criticism are invited.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4w2ZvCSYT6AMlVUbU4zdDdRdk0

Google Doc here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-tO8mux58YHCpX7wGGDnnv9siL58w4yN-v2M8C3lBmQ

I'm not a huge fan of the red headings, when everything else is mostly black on white, but that's personal taste.

On a more technical level, I would increase the size of the margins quite a bit. Particularly with a single column layout, I think it would look better. Take a look at the layout of Dungeon World or Fate Core in terms of single column layout with generous margins. I would also take a look at your leading (the spacing between the lines of text), I suspect if the spacing was a little larger you would improve readability.

Also, there seem to be a lot of irregular/unnecessary line breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Error 404 posted:

This is basically what dryads are in the setting I'm running, except also with a totally hypocritical shamanic state religion, where they claim to live in peace and harmony with all the spirits of the forest but actually just live in harmony with the ones who are on-board with Operation Exterminate All Lesser Life Forms, and exile or isolate the others. Also, their idea of living in harmony with a spirit is telling it "use your cool magical powers the way we tell you, and we'll give you a nice gilded cage to live in, 'kay?"