Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Covok posted:

What are the best DW supplements?

In addition to those already mentioned, I like Freebooters and the Frontier, the Chaos Worlds books from Magpie Games (Last Days of Anglekite, Cold Ruins of Lastlife and Green Law of Varkith), Grim World and The Planarch Codex stuff (Dark Heart of the Dreamer and If On a Wintry Plane a Freebooter).

Last Days of Angelkite is a pretty cool weird fantasy campaign setting, where a ton of background is presented through fronts. Also has some cool magic items, monsters and compendium classes. I haven't run the setting straight, but I've stolen from it for several games.

Cold Ruins of Lastlife is straight up Dark Souls for Dungeon World, right down to coming back to life at bonfires.

Green Law of Varkith is all about setting up a guild run by the player characters, and has some cool rules for adding a Guild turn where you take action against other guilds in an abstract kind of way, and let's the GM handle conflict between NPC guilds. I'm using a magic item from it in a current DW campaign - a staff that lets you remove the entire internal system of a creature and potentially switch it with another creature - had a whole session driven by the players using it on each other, originally to escape a magic trap and later out of spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I've gotten a couple friends back into tabletop and so far DW has proved to be perfect for fast and simple adventure poo poo. One of them is a foppish Captain who pioneered the pocket snuff technique, so the other, a Collector with a collection of horrible monstrous creatures and their by-products, stepped it up by entering fights with pocket centipedes.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
It's a bit of a bummer that it seems like Sage LaTorra and Adam Koebel are done with Dungeon World; I'd love to see a concerted undertaking to do a full-on new edition that helps to implement all of the design improvements that have surfaced in the ensuing years. It's still a lot of fun, but compared to newer material it shows its shortcomings a bit more threadbare these days.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Would it be fair say that you could kind of consider Fellowship a DW 2.0? I've not managed to play it yet but it's got Rulebookheavily's RAC playbooks repurposed for half the classes. It seems that a lot of the improvements people seem to be bringing up are reflected in it.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Would it be fair say that you could kind of consider Fellowship a DW 2.0? I've not managed to play it yet but it's got Rulebookheavily's RAC playbooks repurposed for half the classes. It seems that a lot of the improvements people seem to be bringing up are reflected in it.
While it's definitely replaced DW as my go-to fantasy RPG, I'm really not sure if I'd go that far. Fellowship has a lot of assumptions built into it about what PCs are doing and session/scene pacing and so on. Possibly even more than DW itself (which tends to hide its assumptions). And those assumptions are very different and make for significantly different games IMO.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I think that one of the playtest versions of Fellowship could be considered a DW 1.5 or 2.0, back when it was a DW hack instead of its own game. I respect that Gnome kept developing the game to the point that he was happy with his vision, but the playtest version I played was actually a very different game and one that I enjoyed just as much. It'd be cool if he released it into the wild.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Doodmons posted:

I think that one of the playtest versions of Fellowship could be considered a DW 1.5 or 2.0, back when it was a DW hack instead of its own game. I respect that Gnome kept developing the game to the point that he was happy with his vision, but the playtest version I played was actually a very different game and one that I enjoyed just as much. It'd be cool if he released it into the wild.

Seconding this, I didn't play the playtest versions but I heard they were very different as DW hacks. Fellowship is good but I'd love to see these versions.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
The party jumped through a portal that I was having enemies spawn through, so now the Realm of Ash is a thing and everyone is exploring it. Didn't plan for that at all, but it's been great so far.

Running with this idea, I thought it would be fun to have the different realms created/controlled by different deities. If a someone decides to devote themselves to one in particular, then they can gain a compendium class for that realm. I've never made one of these before, so any feedback would be appriciated:
Compendium Class - The Ashtouched.

I'm a bit worried that the moves are all really long-winded, as this compendium class is close to two pages by itself. Thoughts?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What's people's preferred Fighter replacement?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

TWO FIGHTERS

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
I'm partial to gnome7's one. I'd link it but I'm on my phone right now!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I'm partial to my improved one but that's just my opinion :unsmith:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Evil Mastermind posted:

What's people's preferred Fighter replacement?

My favs are GimpInBlack's Gladiator and my Dashing Hero, but the Survivor from Inverse World is pretty good too. Honestly I prefer replacing the entire lineup of default playbooks with a curated set of expansion playbooks.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

gnome7 posted:

My favs are GimpInBlack's Gladiator and my Dashing Hero, but the Survivor from Inverse World is pretty good too. Honestly I prefer replacing the entire lineup of default playbooks with a curated set of expansion playbooks.

You might as well just re-write the whole system while you're at it!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Just bought Dashing Hero - Looks like a lot of fun. What else have you made?

Oh it's all in the OP.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 1, 2016

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Dashing Hero is the best playbook.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

ShineDog posted:

Just bought Dashing Hero - Looks like a lot of fun. What else have you made?

Oh it's all in the OP.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?keywords=Dungeon+World&manufacturers_id=4996&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=

There's my catalog of dungeon world things. The Dashing Hero and The Witch are probably my best individual playbooks, and I am very proud of the entire pile of Inverse World playbooks. The Mage playbooks are solid but in retrospect a fair bit stronger than most others - they work with each other or with some other high powered type playbooks like the Grim World ones, but they just get to do a lot more things than the core books do. And the Alternate Playbook set is nice because the Artificer is really cool. Priest and Templar are solid Cleric and Paladin replacements also, but don't use The Mage in that set. It's very very overpowered.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I can definitely confirm the Artificer and Clock Mage as being a big pile of fun; I had both of them in an earlier game I ran and they worked very well. They're a fair bit more complex than the core classes, though, so you will want to make sure a player who takes them is already familiar with how Dungeon World works.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Has anyone tried the Therianthrope and Beastmaster playbooks on DTRPG? They say they're by "Awful Good Games", which suggests a connection to someone here, but they don't have the standard playbook format and they're not in the OP's recommended classes. Are they "avoid" material, or any good? I can't get enough from the preview to fully make up my mind.

On another note, is there any recommendations for alternate druids or shapeshifters?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

If I remember right the guy behind that is a rabid Alt-right gamergate person. I had bought some of his stuff before I found that out and I don't like how the playbooks are put together appearance-wise, but I haven't looked at them recent enough to remember if they're actually competently written.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Oh hey, that guy. The guy that got really mad about how Inverse World totally ripped off his original setting that no one heard of and decided to make playbooks with all the same names as gnome7's to confuse the market. From what I remember, his playbooks are about what you'd expect from playbooks made entirely out of spite.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 5, 2016

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

D_W posted:

If I remember right the guy behind that is a rabid Alt-right gamergate person. I had bought some of his stuff before I found that out and I don't like how the playbooks are put together appearance-wise, but I haven't looked at them recent enough to remember if they're actually competently written.

I know nothing about the content of his work, but last time I checked that guy was definitely an alt-right gamergater.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Blasphemeral posted:

Has anyone tried the Therianthrope and Beastmaster playbooks on DTRPG? They say they're by "Awful Good Games", which suggests a connection to someone here, but they don't have the standard playbook format and they're not in the OP's recommended classes. Are they "avoid" material, or any good? I can't get enough from the preview to fully make up my mind.

On another note, is there any recommendations for alternate druids or shapeshifters?

That connection would be me. I was in the original 4E D&D game that was the prototype for David Guyll's Sundered World setting. I also did some preliminary conceptual work on it, though I can't claim credit for anything that wound up in the final product. I haven't seen those playbooks though, so I can't speak to how close to the mark it hits for you.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

That connection would be me...

...I haven't seen those playbooks though, so I can't speak to how close to the mark it hits for you.

Ah, alright. All the same, it's interesting to see how the DW homebrew community all ties together. Like every other community, it's got all kinds of weird rivalries, inspired-bys and met-onces.

potatocubed posted:

I know nothing about the content of his work, but last time I checked that guy was definitely an alt-right gamergater.

Ugh, alrighty then.

Any other playbook recommendations for druid/shapeshifter types? I've still got the time to homebrew one if I can't find anything, but it'd be cool to use something that's been vetted by the thread ("threatted?").

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 5, 2016

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Can anyone recommend me a complete, good, replacement set? Like, 6-8 nice classes covering the basics to take to a thing? I've got kind of analysis paralysis from the OP.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

ShineDog posted:

Can anyone recommend me a complete, good, replacement set? Like, 6-8 nice classes covering the basics to take to a thing? I've got kind of analysis paralysis from the OP.

The Inverse World classes are a really nice set that cover a lot of basics as well as doing some other weird and interesting stuff. I might also add in the Witch, which I think fits well with the IW classes and is just pretty cool.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

ShineDog posted:

How close to the originals do you want to be? Are you just looking for a "hit all the traditional archetype bases" set, that's got something mage-like, something rogue-like, something cleric-like, etc... or do you want them to be similar in some fashion to the original books' play style/feel?

Or do you not care and just want 6-8 playbooks that play nice?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

ShineDog posted:

Blasphemeral posted:

How close to the originals do you want to be? Are you just looking for a "hit all the traditional archetype bases" set, that's got something mage-like, something rogue-like, something cleric-like, etc... or do you want them to be similar in some fashion to the original books' play style/feel?

Or do you not care and just want 6-8 playbooks that play nice?

If you want them to more closely resemble the original playbooks, there's a whole set(?) of "Improved" versions out there. I never felt like they changed very much, but some people really like them.

If you're looking for more interesting options, though, here's a set that I like:

Barbarian analogue: The Brute

Monk analogue: The Initiate

Rogue analogue: The Dashing Hero (it's more Errol Flynn swashbuckler, Zorro-type than shadow-skulking poisoner, though).

Paladin analogue: The Gallant (:siren: shameless plug :siren:)

Cleric analogue: The Lantern from Inverse World

Wizard analogue: The Witch

Fighter or Ranger analogue: The Slayer (less platemail-tank or nature's defender and more limb-severing monster hunter)
Some people might recommend The Gladiator, but it's so combat focused that the player might get bored when not in combat, and that one steps on The Brute's toes a bit with grand-standing and I like The Brute as a Barbarian more than The Gladiator as a Fighter, but YMMV.

Instead of the Bard, you could take: The Artificer or Inverse World's The Collector (I like The Maestro, but it's a bit too powerful and too wizard-reflavored-as-art)

The Psion is good.

Druid analogue: I haven't found one. No one I've played with has wanted to play a druid, yet. Hence my querying the thread, above.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 6, 2016

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The only shapeshifter type playbook I've seen is Dungeon Planet's The Mutant, which gains and loses monster moves as it mutates. It's a very clever playbook, but I don't like that its core move is literally just "when you use a mutant ability, roll Defy Danger to see if it works properly." But I'd say its a good baseline to look at, if you're thinking of making your own.

Grim World's The Channeler and The Shaman are also fairly good classes that fit within the giant idea-space that is "Druids." The Channeler is an elementalist who can use their element at will, and also become/summon elementals to their whims. And the Shaman is the best spell-list class I've seen, as its spells are specifically a list of totems it can bind, and each totem can be destroyed for a benefit, and you can have three totems at a time. What's particularly cool about this Shaman is that they don't need to be the one to break the totem, just the one to make it - you can give your totems to your allies to pull out in a pinch, and I think that's cool.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Gonna also throw out a plug for Unzelaous' Metamorph char sheet for tried and true shapeshifting fun.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

Gonna also throw out a plug for Unzelaous' Metamorph char sheet for tried and true shapeshifting fun.

Yeah, I think I looked at that one, and it's too Otherworldly Horror / Formless Abomination for what I'm looking for. It's definitely a cool playbook, just not what I mean when I say "shape shifter".

gnome7 posted:

The only shapeshifter type playbook I've seen is Dungeon Planet's The Mutant, which gains and loses monster moves as it mutates. It's a very clever playbook, but I don't like that its core move is literally just "when you use a mutant ability, roll Defy Danger to see if it works properly." But I'd say its a good baseline to look at, if you're thinking of making your own.

Grim World's The Channeler and The Shaman are also fairly good classes that fit within the giant idea-space that is "Druids." The Channeler is an elementalist who can use their element at will, and also become/summon elementals to their whims. And the Shaman is the best spell-list class I've seen, as its spells are specifically a list of totems it can bind, and each totem can be destroyed for a benefit, and you can have three totems at a time. What's particularly cool about this Shaman is that they don't need to be the one to break the totem, just the one to make it - you can give your totems to your allies to pull out in a pinch, and I think that's cool.

Those sound pretty cool. I'll have to check them out. Believe it or not, I've not actually looked at Grim World. Maybe I should.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 6, 2016

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

gnome7 posted:

Isn't that sort of true for the core Druid as well? I mean, the move doesn't actually specify it, but in my game (with only other core classes, no Wizard) I usually add some 'bad stuff happens' on a bad shapeshift roll, on top of the reduced hold. I don't think I'm alone in this, core Druid is very powerful otherwise.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

theroachman posted:

Isn't that sort of true for the core Druid as well? I mean, the move doesn't actually specify it, but in my game (with only other core classes, no Wizard) I usually add some 'bad stuff happens' on a bad shapeshift roll, on top of the reduced hold. I don't think I'm alone in this, core Druid is very powerful otherwise.
Not really. By the rules, when a druid does one of the moves that the GM tells them is associated with their animal form, they spend the hold and it just happens (within the constraints of the fiction).

It is powerful, but it's also fairly limited to the whims of the GM.

On the other hand, I think it's a terribly written playbook. It's core mechanic doesn't work like anything else in the game, and GM moves aren't meant to be used by players.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I meant the actual 2D6+WIS roll to change into an animal that arguably lives in the Druids home land. It can't really fail as even on a 6- they change shape and hold 1.

I usually add some other (semi-) interesting stuff like 'You are particularly distracted today. Your leather chest armor fails to change shape with you. Your desert eagle form is trapped inside and it would take about a minute to extract yourself from it. Oh and -1 armor until you can put it back on, of course.'

theroachman fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 8, 2016

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

As far as shapeshifting goes, I have what I thought was an interesting core move for a chimeric sort of shifter from a class for that setting book I might finish one of these decades. If you want to cobble something together with it, go nuts:

quote:

Ascended Form
You are a living record of the trials you have overcome, and are capable of manifesting your victories on your very body. When you assume your ascended form, roll +wis. On a 10+, gain 3 aspects. On a 7-9, gain 2 aspects. On a miss, gain 2 aspects, but there is some flaw or imperfection in your form; mark a debility.

You may spend an aspect to take the associated move; when you do, you lose that aspect.

When you have no aspects, you revert to your natural form. The transformation is exhausting, and you can’t attempt it again until you have rested.
Wings: You can fly. When you spend this aspect, immediately move somewhere in near range safely.
Carapace: You have +1 armor. When you spend this aspect, immediately negate all damage from a single strike.
Third Eye: You cannot be ambushed or taken by surprise. When you spend this aspect, ask the GM one question about a living creature you can see.
Venomous Quills: Anything that damages you from within close range takes 3 damage. When you spend this aspect, a living creature within near range is wracked with pain or delirium.
Razor Claws: Your unarmed attacks pierce 2 armor. When you spend this aspect, destroy an inanimate object within hand range.
Prehensile Tail: You can grab or strike anything within reach range. When you spend this aspect, you immediately regain stable footing (including standing up, if necessary).
Sensitive Ears: You can hear anything in near range as if you were right next to it, including through obstacles or walls. When you spend this aspect, immediately pinpoint the location of anything within near range.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
That seems like an easy way to streamline the druid. You take on that many aspects of a form, and can spend them as you choose. Perhaps an expanded list would help.

When I am on the spot trying to come up with animal form moves I often choke and can't come up with anything both cool and useful.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
My caution would be that any one of those aspects seems equivalent in power to a custom/class playbook move, so giving 3 of them for the price of 1 move would be very cheap. The playbook should probably start with no other custom moves and/or have some negative moves built in (and not allow taking Ascended Form through multiclassing).

Another way to power it down would be to make it 2 on a 10+, 1 on a 7-, and then add a custom move that gives 1 extra aspect whenever you use Ascended Form. Hell, maybe even make them lock in their choices and then gain flexibility (more aspects) via moves.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Blasphemeral posted:

(I like The Maestro, but it's a bit too powerful and too wizard-reflavored-as-art)

I never actually "finished" that class, or rather, never playtested it and made adjustments. Which parts of it could be toned down in your opinion?

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Blind Azathoth posted:

The Inverse World classes are a really nice set that cover a lot of basics as well as doing some other weird and interesting stuff. I might also add in the Witch, which I think fits well with the IW classes and is just pretty cool.

Just want to second this. I ran a really long DW campaign with the Inverse Playbooks and they were great.

I've also never seen DW players get as excited for their moves as some of the ones from the Lantern, the Golem, and the Survivor. In particular, the advanced moves are great about letting players do something new and different instead of a numerical bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Speaking of, how do you even get the Inverse World playbooks? I bought it on DriveThruRPG yesterday, and the download just included a PDF of the book, and a PDF of the cover. No separate playbooks, and the copies inside the book are absolutely not formatted to be printed off and used.