Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
The way I saw it was that the Noble could easily be a squishy person guarded by a big tough knight (though you could just as easily change it depending on your stat allocation). I kind of feel like the Assistant should get a specific HP value apart from the Noble so that you can decide how bulky or squishy each of them is, but I don't think putting them at 1/3rd their HP is the answer. If you want disposable characters, make them hirelings. If you want to make a whole new special kind of sheet for them, at least make it so that they can take a hit. If the Noble+Assistant total HP pool was the problem, maybe add a way for the Noble to shift some of their HP over to their buddy?

With someone who's prone to exploding in a flurry of gibs, I feel like I'd be stupid to make my assistant a frontliner instead of some utility class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

It's Lemon's class. If you want to give it Multiclass dabbler, that's fine, but this thread has been 30% "you didn't put a move in there, how dare you?" / "I didn't think it'd fit."

I didn't really mean for it to come across that way. It's fine if he wants to specifically make a dedicated class for a tribal shaman. I was just pointing out that there are archetypes of civilized shamans available, in case he wants to expand the class towards that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

sentrygun posted:

A while ago I came up with the idea of a Ranger who uses hexes and curses instead of a bow and arrows and controls undead as their companion. This NecroRanger would totally favor Wizard and Mage and stuff, but a typical Ranger that people think of wouldn't.

Then assuming you went with this favoured class idea, you would change the favoured class list in the same way you would have to modify or write custom moves to represent the hexes and the undead companion. :confused:

sentrygun posted:

The ability for some of the core classes to borrow from only certain other classes all make sense just based on what the moves the other class(es) have do, where this idea of a 'primal' Shaman kind of misses that and just focuses on how the author sees the class' fluff.

Everything starts and ends with the fiction, so "how the author sees the class' fiction" is pretty much a justification for every class having the moveset and the restrictions they have. I am fairly certain the Thief wasn't given zero multiclass moves because Sage and Adam were afraid a Thief with a Signature Weapon or the ability to Cast Spells would break the game's balance in half.

sentrygun posted:

I'd be just as likely to make a Shaman whose spirits are actually just the electricity in machines, being able to command the 'spirits' of machinery and basically be a technomancer. It works perfectly with the class's mechanics, but that's not 'primal' in the slightest.

The Shaman's "spirits" are explicitly ghosts, so that interpretation isn't part of the class as-intended, much like how the NecroRanger isn't part of the Ranger's intended concept. It's a cool concept, but requires you to change the fiction behind the Shaman, and thus modify some moves, exactly like it would for any other concept in the game not wholly covered by a class.

sentrygun posted:

As far as I see it, I think advanced moves that let you borrow from specific (core) classes should exist if the moves those characters have compliment the moves of the class at hand.

Both in terms of fiction and mechanically, yes. Arguably, fiction alone (i.e. cases where the fiction of class B is a good match for class A, but none of the moves immediately synergise with class A's in ways that are mechanically interesting) is enough of a justification. Dungeon World is not the kind of game where mechanical synergy alone should justify your multiclass restrictions.

edit:

Okasvi posted:

Full disclosure. I might be talking out of my rear end since most of this comes from manga and other Asian pop culture + Wikipedia and I don't have the appropriate background in cultural research, so take all of the following with a grain of salt. But I was under the impression that Asia has a long tradition of organised shamanistic religion, and a bunch of old empires, which resulted into a bunch of civilized spiritualists. Like the japanese onmyoji or the chinese wu, for example.

No, gently caress, I haven't got any actual knowledge in this either - 95% of my inspiration for the class was cribbed from the Malazan Book of the Fallen (the author is a real anthropologist so I'm in the clear, right? :v:) and the other 5% from common conceptions of shamans. I am in no way an expert on actual real-life shamans, but much like how the other DW classes aren't remotely like their historical inspiration, the Shaman is meant to be "here is how shamans are portrayed in Western fantasy fiction" rather than "here is how real shamans are."

Golden Bee posted:

It's Lemon's class. If you want to give it Multiclass dabbler, that's fine, but this thread has been 30% "you didn't put a move in there, how dare you?" / "I didn't think it'd fit."

Yeah - as much as I like talking about this, I don't think it's particularly fair of me to be eating up the thread like this. Sorry.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 26, 2013

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

sentrygun posted:

Noble+Assistant HP pool

I think this is the solution right here. Something like this, perhaps:

Noble HP buffed to 10 + Constitution

When The Noble or The Assistant take damage, they subtract this damage from The Noble's HP. When The Noble has less than half HP, either The Assistant or The Noble is unable to continue. When The Noble falls to or below 0 HP, the other is also unable to continue, and set your HP to 1. The next time The Noble or The Assistant takes damage, whichever one took damage rolls their Last Breath.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Okasvi posted:

I think he was going for eastern shamanism.

Full disclosure. I might be talking out of my rear end since most of this comes from manga and other Asian pop culture + Wikipedia and I don't have the appropriate background in cultural research, so take all of the following with a grain of salt. But I was under the impression that Asia has a long tradition of organised shamanistic religion, and a bunch of old empires, which resulted into a bunch of civilized spiritualists. Like the japanese onmyoji or the chinese wu, for example.

So you're basically skipping half of the world's shamans by focusing on the european/native american version of shamanism.

Can't there be city rangers and city druids too? People good at surviving in an urban environment? Caretaker of wild dogs and rats and cockroaches?

That being said, I think wu fits the trappings of a naturalistic and primal spirit talker that LC was going for. Onmyoji are more diviners and geomancers than shaman. The original (Siberian) word shaman was pulled to mean a person who talks with spirits.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Then assuming you went with this favoured class idea, you would change the favoured class list in the same way you would have to modify or write custom moves to represent the hexes and the undead companion. :confused:

Speaking as a very nervous person, there's a certain thing about the actual mechanics that makes it seem like they shouldn't be changed. Like, that NecroRanger? He still rolls 2d6+Wis to follow a trail of clues left behind by passing creatures, even if he's siccing a hungry ghost on his quarry instead of looking meaningfully at tracks. But rangers being better at learning Druid and Cleric moves, that's a rule. The designer must have had a good reason for that, right? Maybe it breaks if I take a Fighter move at that level? I'll just leave it be, just to be safe.

What I'm saying is, if you say somewhere that they're just suggestions and if your Shaman spent his whole life working as a noble's Speaker Of The Dead so you think Bard would fit better than Ranger it won't break, weird neurotic people like me would probably feel better making nonstandard interpretations of playbooks.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I don't like the idea in the first place and wouldn't have it personally, but I wouldn't have to change anything on the sheet for the reflavored moves besides call my gear different things if I wanted to. I suppose it was a more extreme example, but my point is that while classes have their specific 'thing' they do, they're kinda vague with how they do it outside of what their gear's called on the sheet.

quote:

Everything starts and ends with the fiction, so "how the author sees the class' fiction" is pretty much a justification for every class having the moveset and the restrictions they have. I am fairly certain the Thief wasn't given zero multiclass moves because Sage and Adam were afraid a Thief with a Signature Weapon or the ability to Cast Spells would break the game's balance in half.

I never said anything about balance. In my mind, the Thief doesn't have any multiclass moves because they kind of made Dabbler a Bard (jack of all trades) and Fighter (bonus feats in old D&D) thing, and they didn't think any of the moves from the other classes complemented the Thief well. Maybe they had different or more specific reasons for it though. I don't like the idea of handing out Dabbler to a bunch of classes because I like people having their own thing they're cool at rather than stepping on other people's feet to do their cool things too.

quote:

The Shaman's "spirits" are explicitly ghosts, so that interpretation isn't part of the class as-intended, much like how the NecroRanger isn't part of the Ranger's intended concept. It's a cool concept, but requires you to change the fiction behind the Shaman, and thus modify some moves, exactly like it would for any other concept in the game not wholly covered by a class.

Understandable, and obviously it's just a thing players do once they get their hands on it. Again, my primary point here is that I don't think restricted multiclassing is by design a 'theme' thing, and is largely mechanical. You then have to justify fictionally why you can do this cool thing you cribbed from another class and how you do it, but then the book says you do that for every move you learn so it's kind of the norm.

Ultimately, yeah, you can totally do whatever you want, whether author or player. I just find it weird to set in stone a 'favored classes' idea when it's so easily open to interpretation. Hell, looking at the book version of my Shaman purchase the whole introduction thing just kind of talks about death. You're the dude between the dead and the living, and that's your cool thing. I can call it the Technomancer and say I'm the bridge between machine and flesh, but that's just a goofy thing I made up as a player.

There's definitely flavor for the inspirations you mentioned throughout the moves, but ultimately to the person who gets it and reads it this cool dude sheet says I'm a Shaman and tells me about how I do cool things with spirits and stuff. If I match that in my head with something completely different, that's because I have a different interpretation of it than the author did due to the fact that the author didn't give me an intensely detailed blueprint. This is a good thing!

But yeah, that's a lot of words for me to basically say "I don't really like favored classes because I like taking classes and driving them off a cliff from where they're originally intended". I don't really like multiclassing at all and much prefer recent "take a rulebook nobody else is using" stuff, but that's just me. :shobon:

gnome7 posted:

Noble HP buffed to 10 + Constitution

When The Noble or The Assistant take damage, they subtract this damage from The Noble's HP. When The Noble has less than half HP, either The Assistant or The Noble is unable to continue. When The Noble falls to or below 0 HP, the other is also unable to continue, and set your HP to 1. The next time The Noble or The Assistant takes damage, whichever one took damage rolls their Last Breath.

I like this a lot more. Gets around the problem of the Noble getting an unfair amount of HP to play with while still letting me play a goofy princess protected by a big bulky knight and having the princess faint when she sees the knight get injured, while granting plenty of room for bulky noble/squishy assistant and everything in between.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

jonthegm posted:

Can't there be city rangers and city druids too? People good at surviving in an urban environment? Caretaker of wild dogs and rats and cockroaches?

That being said, I think wu fits the trappings of a naturalistic and primal spirit talker that LC was going for. Onmyoji are more diviners and geomancers than shaman. The original (Siberian) word shaman was pulled to mean a person who talks with spirits.

I was mostly working from the earlier multiclassing discussion. My point was more that, at least in pop culture, eastern shamanism and eastern sorcery tend to mix together a lot and said mixed spiritualists tend to be courtiers and other civilized, religious or government officials. And as such it would be thematically appropriate for an individual shaman character that was drawing from those sources to be able to multiclass into wizard and cleric without penalties in addition to ranger and druid.

My purpose wasn't to tell him to change the focus of the class or it's moves themselves.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 26, 2013

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

sentrygun posted:

I like this a lot more. Gets around the problem of the Noble getting an unfair amount of HP to play with while still letting me play a goofy princess protected by a big bulky knight and having the princess faint when she sees the knight get injured, while granting plenty of room for bulky noble/squishy assistant and everything in between.

The Noble, again.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

sentrygun posted:

Hell, looking at the book version of my Shaman purchase the whole introduction thing just kind of talks about death. You're the dude between the dead and the living, and that's your cool thing.

Yes, that's still the case. We're talking about the reason why the Shaman's MC move favours two classes - it's not a link that the entire class has. Like I said, the nature angle comes from shamans being typically a fixture of tribal societies, from the medicine woman archetype and from the overlap with the Druid's nature spirits angle. All of this only affects the two MC moves.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

So me and 2/3 of my players are moving away in a few weeks so I decided to kick our campaign into high gear and try to reach a satisfying conclusion before we're forced to quit. I had previously set up a worldwide conflict among the Elves (who have demonstrated some rather unsavory practices re: orc lobotomies), a high druid Green Dragon who controls an orc horde, the existing Human Empire, and a race of Apes that would come to power in the future and lose a war against the Elves (according to a time-traveling ape from the future, at least). I went into the last session intending to deus ex machina a few levels onto the PCs, a result of the meddling of a trickster god, but I decided to offer them a choice among personal power (levels), magical artifacts, or - and this is where I'm tripped up - Quantum Leap powers (I ended up giving them the levels too because I wanted them to have at least one Advanced Move before we were done).

Things almost immediately went off-rails, with the party traveling all the way back to the dawn of man (the point where humans came to power and apes were forced into the jungles) and establishing themselves as gods by killing an entire species of giant, carnivorous goats. We probably only have 2 or 3 more sessions before they get to the end of this and I want to do it right.

Can you guys help me come up with a DW move to represent this nonsense?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
When you try to change the future, take -1 ongoing to any further attempts to change the future and roll +stat. On a 10+, hold 2, otherwise hold 1. On a 6- the GM holds 2, on a 7-11 the GM holds 1, on a 12+ you were a real careful bastard, weren't you?

Spend hold based on the stat that rolled it, 1-for-1, to:

STRENGTH:

- destroy some structure so that it never existed
- win a battle that was otherwise lost

DEXTERITY:

- build a structure where it never existed before
- create or bypass an impenetrable lock or puzzle

CONSTITUTION:

- a people bear a burden that would otherwise break them
- a structure stands that was doomed to fall

INTELLIGENCE:

- spread an idea before its time, or quash an idea in its time
- create or unwork a devastatingly intricate spell

WISDOM:

- destroy a lie, replace it with the truth
- though a great calamity happens, keep death from following in its wake

CHARISMA:

- spread a lie regardless of the truth
- guide a nation through its leaders to some end

Glazius fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 27, 2013

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
On a 6-, the future refused to change...

You may want something about art. Also, for Charisma, perhaps not just guiding leaders, but convincing anyone to take a particular path other than the one they were destined to choose. Seemingly unimportant people rise to influence history all the time.

Something like:

CHARISMA
- convince someone to chose a path not taken

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
Here's a companion move for actually traveling through time.

Time travel
When you travel through time describe how you travel, and what time you intend to appear. Roll +int.

On a 10+ choose 1

On a 7-9 choose 2

On a miss, the GM chooses 3.

-Something you did had unexpected consequences in the future
-Your meddling has been noticed by the caretaker of time
-You don't arrive exactly when you wanted to
-You knowledge of historical events was misinformed
-Another time traveler is actively working against you
-Your ability to time travel is disabled, until you complete a task. The GM will tell you what.

wrl
Sep 17, 2004
omg<3kittens
Lets talk Druid Animal moves for shapeshifting. Here's what the book says:

When you call upon the spirits to change your shape, roll+Wis. ✴On a 10+ hold 3. ✴On a 7–9 hold 2. ✴On a miss hold 1 in addition to whatever the GM says.
You may take on the physical form of any species whose essence you have studied or who lives in your land: you and your possessions meld into a perfect copy of the species’ form. You have any innate abilities and weaknesses of the form: claws, wings, gills, breathing water instead of air. You still use your normal stats but some moves may be harder to trigger—a housecat will find it hard to do battle with an ogre. The GM will also tell you one or more moves associated with your new form. Spend 1 hold to make that move. Once you’re out of hold, you return to your natural form. At any time, you may spend all your hold and revert to your natural form.

Animal moves just say what the animal naturally does, like “call the pack,” “trample them,” or “escape to the air.” When you spend your hold your natural instinct kicks in and that move happens. If you spend hold to escape to the air, that’s it—you’re away and on the wing.

First of all asking the GM to come up with moves can be tough, especially with PbP where you may be looking to perform that move in the same post. Secondly there are some questions here, Should these moves require rolling ever? Can they/should they be as powerful as standard class moves? What if the GM doesn't give me the move I intended?

I have a system in mind that essentially uses tags to describe animals, and each tag grants a specific move/benefit. Thoughts?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

wrl posted:

First of all asking the GM to come up with moves can be tough, especially with PbP where you may be looking to perform that move in the same post. Secondly there are some questions here, Should these moves require rolling ever? Can they/should they be as powerful as standard class moves? What if the GM doesn't give me the move I intended?

I have a system in mind that essentially uses tags to describe animals, and each tag grants a specific move/benefit. Thoughts?

I've been playing an Initiate with Shapeshift as a Multiclass move in the PbP "Looking for Petryloch". So far, it's been working out great. The moves the GM gave me were interesting, and didn't need a roll, but I also use the occasional Hack & Slash as said animal or a Discern Realities.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Druid stuff has come up multiple times before, so here's a condensed version of how it works RAW:

wrl posted:

First of all asking the GM to come up with moves can be tough, especially with PbP where you may be looking to perform that move in the same post.

Monster moves are incredibly easy to come up with; they're a single-sentence action description like "drag them off to your lair," not a full-blown player move.

wrl posted:

Secondly there are some questions here, Should these moves require rolling ever? Can they/should they be as powerful as standard class moves? What if the GM doesn't give me the move I intended?

No, they do not ever require rolling. You spend hold and they happen, just like a monster just makes their monster moves happen.

They are monster moves, not player moves, so they behave exactly like every other monster move in terms of power. If you change into a giant snake that has the "swallow them whole" move, you swallow an enemy whole when you spend your hold to use that move. Yes, that makes the Druid powerful.

You're turning into monsters, so if you "intended" to have a move you're presumably turning into something from the back of the book, at which point your DM should just give you the monster stat card rather than coming out with a whole new set of monster moves just for you. Keep in mind that "flying" or "breathe underwater" is not a monster move; it's a thing you can do naturally as part of your form. If you turned into a giant snake with the intent of swallowing something whole and the DM doesn't give you a "swallow them whole" move, behave like an adult, talk to your DM and tell them what you were trying to accomplish by turning into whatever you turned into.

e; a couple of posts I wrote on this same subject in the old thread:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Regarding the Druid: dodging with hold is absolutely something he should be allowed to do... if it's one of the moves his animal form gets. He doesn't get to spend hold to just do anything, he spends hold to trigger a move, and if he's not turning into something with an entry in the DW book you're the one who writes those moves.

Does it make sense for something like a panther to be able to effortlessly dodge a trained warrior's sword? If yes, then the Druid can spend hold to dodge. I'd say it doesn't make much sense - if he were turning into a blink dog or something small and lithe, sure.

The other thing to remember is that once he's spent his hold he shifts back into a human. If he wants to roll again, he's shapeshifting back into animal form - all this takes time and is an excellent excuse to deal damage to him (without a roll to Defy Danger, since he's so focused on shapeshifting), or threaten an ally or something he cares about and tell him "you can save them/it but you need to stop shapeshifting to act NOW!"

Lemon Curdistan posted:

on the topic of Druids turning into animals:

A Move is not just something that a creature can do, it's something that is special or unique to that type of creature. Every animal can attack you; attacking is not a Move, it's just a thing the Druid can do in that animal form by rolling just like they would normally.

If you want to make animal Moves for the Druid, remember this:

What thing can this animal do that few or no others can?

Flying isn't a Move, but "outpace any land-based creature" on a cheetah would be a Move. Attacking isn't a Move, but "poison them with your stinger" is a Move that a scorpion would get. Seeing things isn't a Move, but "see dangers way before they can see you" would be a Move for an eagle.

You would still roll H&S or DD in animal form except for when one of your monster moves would let you bypass the roll.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 27, 2013

wrl
Sep 17, 2004
omg<3kittens

Wahad posted:

I've been playing an Initiate with Shapeshift as a Multiclass move in the PbP "Looking for Petryloch". So far, it's been working out great. The moves the GM gave me were interesting, and didn't need a roll, but I also use the occasional Hack & Slash as said animal or a Discern Realities.

Coincidentally I just wrote up an app with an identical setup (initiate with shapeshifter), although an entirely different background. I guess I feel like there may be times when your GM doesn't give you the move you were hoping for and you end up slowing things down by discussing specifics.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The Druid stuff has come up multiple times before, so here's a condensed version of how it works RAW:

Monster moves are incredibly easy to come up with; they're a single-sentence action description like "drag them off to your lair," not a full-blown player move.

No, they do not ever require rolling. You spend hold and they happen, just like a monster just makes their monster moves happen.

They are monster moves, not player moves, so they behave exactly like every other monster move in terms of power. If you change into a giant snake that has the "swallow them whole" move, you swallow an enemy whole when you spend your hold to use that move. Yes, that makes the Druid powerful.

You're turning into monsters, so if you "intended" to have a move you're presumably turning into something from the back of the book, at which point your DM should just give you the monster stat card rather than coming out with a whole new set of monster moves just for you. Keep in mind that "flying" or "breathe underwater" is not a monster move; it's a thing you can do naturally as part of your form. If you turned into a giant snake with the intent of swallowing something whole and the DM doesn't give you a "swallow them whole" move, behave like an adult, talk to your DM and tell them what you were trying to accomplish by turning into whatever you turned into.

I guess what I'm saying is that most animals aren't listed as monsters in the book, so it may be worth putting together a list of moves that an animal could have access to.

wrl fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 27, 2013

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

wrl posted:

They do not require rolling themselves, that's what the hold generation roll was for. Using them does not guarantee your safety. If you decide to transform into a behemoth and crash through a wall of spikes, you're gonna wreck the poo poo outta that wall of spikes but you're also going to take damage for running facefirst into a wall of spikes. When you say as powerful as standard class moves', it is a standard class move. Crazy poo poo like Shapeshift is what Dungeon World PCs are capable of.

As for generating moves, it depends on the GM. The pbp I'm playing a Druid in lets me just come up with whatever as I do them, so long as it makes sense. If I transform into a sandworm, I can do sandworm things. If I try to pretend like sandworms are really good at debating ethics that's not a valid move and I'm going to have to Defy CHA just like anyone else without a valid move for that. If I ram my head into a wall to break it down or tunnel through it then that's totally happening, but it doesn't guarantee the cave we're in doesn't start collapsing.

I think the big issue people seem to have with handling Shapeshifter is that, once they find out the moves are just supposed to work when you spend the hold, they get a misconception that it's like you're always rolling valid 10s and you never get a downside to what you do, which isn't the case. If anything, all it means is that the move is purely fictional and we don't have to bother rolling dice to do them so long as the Druid has hold. Whether blowing up an entire city block is useful or not depends on the story at hand.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
If you are aiming to do a specific thing with your new animal form, why not just indicate so when you're naming the animal.

For instance, my Druid player regularly says things like:

"I shapeshift into the Hoss Eagle of the Great Plains, known for swooping from the skies and crushing the spine of large prey."
or
"I shapeshift into the Craghide Buffalo of the Great Plains, with rocky bone protrusions along its shoulders and spines."

That makes it pretty clear to the GM what you're intending to do next.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

wrl posted:

I guess what I'm saying is that most animals aren't listed as monsters in the book, so it may be worth putting together a list of moves that an animal could have access to.

Mundane animals generally aren't listed - but then, why turn into a mundane animal when you can turn into something much more interesting?

That said, a bunch of codex-made monster cards for standard animals (wolf, eagle, bear, etc.) would probably be a useful thing to do. I'll have a think.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Mundane animals generally aren't listed - but then, why turn into a mundane animal when you can turn into something much more interesting?

That said, a bunch of codex-made monster cards for standard animals (wolf, eagle, bear, etc.) would probably be a useful thing to do. I'll have a think.

Hey turning into a big gently caress-off bear is pretty interesting.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Since this question just seems to keep coming up, over and over, I am going to put out a request to the thread: someone please make up an effort-post about how, exactly, by RAW and Sage's clarifications, the Druid's shapechange move works, and I will put it in the OP. Lemon's post up above is roughly what I am looking for, just cleaned up a bit. I will do it myself in a day or two if no one else does, but I have a lot on my plate right now.

wrl posted:

Also bonus points if you add a nice list of animals and animal moves.

wrl
Sep 17, 2004
omg<3kittens
I guess I feel like it should be up to the player to decide what move(s) he wants, and up to the GM to decide what benefit/hindrance that move incurs.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I've noticed that players have special moves, but most of these moves are tied to class and occasionally a class/race type (Dwarf fighters and drinking). Is there anything that ties moves to, say, a character?

I guess what I'm asking if there's like a general pool of moves that any class could take.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

TalonDemonKing posted:

I've noticed that players have special moves, but most of these moves are tied to class and occasionally a class/race type (Dwarf fighters and drinking). Is there anything that ties moves to, say, a character?

I guess what I'm asking if there's like a general pool of moves that any class could take.

Yep, those would be the Basic and Special moves everyone gets. Outside of that, you could look into Compendium Classes as a level up choice which gives you a kind of mini-class. Otherwise, people are supposed to have their own special things to do so there's not some generic level up move pool.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
For on-the-fly animal moves, I like:
-What the player wants to do
-Another cool thing
-Something less useful, but thematic.

Eagle:
Swoop and squawk
Eat Prey
Regurgitate for young.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Glazius posted:

When you try to change the future, take -1 ongoing to any further attempts to change the future and roll +stat. On a 10+, hold 2, otherwise hold 1. On a 6- the GM holds 2, on a 7-11 the GM holds 1, on a 12+ you were a real careful bastard, weren't you?

Spend hold based on the stat that rolled it, 1-for-1, to:

STRENGTH:

- destroy some structure so that it never existed
- win a battle that was otherwise lost

DEXTERITY:

- build a structure where it never existed before
- create or bypass an impenetrable lock or puzzle

CONSTITUTION:

- a people bear a burden that would otherwise break them
- a structure stands that was doomed to fall

INTELLIGENCE:

- spread an idea before its time, or quash an idea in its time
- create or unwork a devastatingly intricate spell

WISDOM:

- destroy a lie, replace it with the truth
- though a great calamity happens, keep death from following in its wake

CHARISMA:

- spread a lie regardless of the truth
- guide a nation through its leaders to some end

madadric posted:

Here's a companion move for actually traveling through time.

Time travel
When you travel through time describe how you travel, and what time you intend to appear. Roll +int.

On a 10+ choose 1

On a 7-9 choose 2

On a miss, the GM chooses 3.

-Something you did had unexpected consequences in the future
-Your meddling has been noticed by the caretaker of time
-You don't arrive exactly when you wanted to
-You knowledge of historical events was misinformed
-Another time traveler is actively working against you
-Your ability to time travel is disabled, until you complete a task. The GM will tell you what.

Thanks, guys! I will definitely work something with these. Like I said, the players caught me waaaaay off guard, and we strayed so far off the beaten path that I wasn't happy with my ability to improvise. Giving some structure to this insane power should keep things on track toward a satisfying resolution, instead of a bunch of frankly insane vignettes.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Hey Gnome7, mind adding this link to the compendium class section of the first post? It goes to the JJBA dealies I made the other day.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yG-tP2eBzNdyHul--t8vRbKnjNApypRLwRSW7bXEpOA/edit?usp=sharing

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Golden Bee posted:

For on-the-fly animal moves, I like:
-What the player wants to do
-Another cool thing
-Something less useful, but thematic.

Eagle:
Swoop and squawk
Eat Prey
Regurgitate for young.

Shouldn't the order be reversed on those?

:getin:

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
I have finished a working draft of a Necromancer class:

quote:

Power is easy, as long as you can pay the price. And for this kind of power, you’ve long been comfortable with the price. It’s not like those other magicks the mages practice... it’s faster, easier, stronger... it gives you power now, not later, and without all that dreary studying. You’ve traded your good name for control over the power of death and undeath, you’ve traded your friends for the embrace of the moon, and you’ve traded your love of life for the cold embrace of Death Incarnate. Power is easy, because you’ve paid the price. The only trick is knowing what to do with all that power...

I was hoping you all would be good enough to give me your opinions. What works, what doesn't?

Also, Gnome7, could you put the Hardened Convict in the class post? Comments are welcome on this class too. Thanks!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Shamblercow posted:

I was hoping you all would be good enough to give me your opinions. What works, what doesn't?

Also, Gnome7, could you put the Hardened Convict in the class post? Comments are welcome on this class too. Thanks!

I'm not a class maker, but isn't the armor value of armor usually equal to its weight? It seems mean to make a low strength class drag around a pound of extra robes.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
Good catch! Yeah, I need to reference the class kits to make that work better. I don't have my book with me, but I'll adjust those options a little tonight.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Shamblercow posted:

The scythe and shovel should probably be reach, not near. Near is a shortbow.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

djw175 posted:

I'm not a class maker, but isn't the armor value of armor usually equal to its weight? It seems mean to make a low strength class drag around a pound of extra robes.

Higher armor values tend to have an extra weight and the clumsy tag attached to make them particularly unwieldy, but if you've got 2 or 3 armor as a choice you're probably a big strong fighter guy and not a wizard with the choice between robes or leather armor. I also kind of like the idea of making the 0 armor choice have something special, even if it's just like a bag of books or healing potions. It's not a thing the core classes do though, so if you're trying to make them more like those then just a plain 0 armor choice is fine.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

Shamblercow posted:

Here's my suggestions for the Necromancer. It's a neat idea, but there's a lot of stuff I, at least, would consider changing. I hope you find these suggestions helpful and that they at least give you an idea of what you'd like the class to do. In general, if I don't mention it here, I think it works fine.

I'd tweak the verbiage on the 10+ result for Thrall Seeker so it reads "The thrall executes your instructions to the best of its ability." If it just "attempts" it, it sounds more like a 7-9 result. I get what you're going for, just a minor quibble.

It may be me, but I don't understand Lend Me Your Strength very well - the triggers are pretty wordy and esoteric. Plus, it's problematic that you can screw an ally over with this but can't use it on an enemy - does it require the consent of the target? If so, make that explicit. Plus, how big is it? What is it intended to do? Why does breaking it kind of gently caress you up even if you roll a 10+? It just reads as a kind of weird power to me, and not really iconic to the Necromancer. All things to consider, though you may have already.

The Good and Neutral alignment moves seem like they should be switched to me.

Phylactery is cool conceptually, definitely keep it in some form. That said, I'm struggling to figure it out. You're a thrall? So you give a three word command to yourself? Do you have to roll +Con to do anything? Can you get revived from an undead state?

When your class damage is d4, Corpse Explosion is a pretty useful, but not broken ability. If someone takes it with multiclass dabbler, it can be a hell of a lot more powerful. You might consider just making it a flat d4, and perhaps include a move to upgrade it later.

Bloodhound has an unclear trigger. How far away does it work? What do you have to do to "channel necrotic energy"?

I'm really not fond of the choices on Healer's Poison or From the Brink which allow you to choose to do damage to an ally. It's one thing if the GM does it, it's kind of a dick move if the player constantly is. So, either you'll do it and people will be annoyed, or you won't do it, in which case, why have it? If it's going to be there, make it the GM's choice.

Possession has a very unclear trigger. Crossing the streams is kind of a mess too. With both of these moves, I'm not sure exactly how they're triggered or what the fiction should look like. Remember, simplify, simplify.

Death Knell seems really good and potentially overpowered to me.

Death is a Disease needs to be re-written. There are no turns in Dungeon World.

I Bring a Mighty Bounty, My Liege is another move that needs a more elegant trigger. Like, try this instead: "When you deliberately shatter your phylactery..." The earlier issues with Phylactery also apply to this move.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
So I finally got around to turning the Spellslinger into a PDF and uploading it to DTRPG, and it's just gotten certified and opened for sale!

The free Google docs version linked in the content post will stay up indefinately, and Declan Feeney can still share his PFD version that I OK'd a few months ago, but if you'd like to purchase the pretty PDF version then I'd be very grateful. This is the first thing I've released in any official capacity, and I'd just like to thank the thread, #badwrongfun, everyone that contributed and helped me with moves, everyone that's played the slinger, and the G+ community.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

gnome7 posted:

INVERSE WORLD

Okay, I've been kinda tracking this so far because it sounds really cool, but now all this talk about Survivors and CalamitiesCataclysms has me thinking of Bastion in a *World system and frankly that's just too awesome to not call out as awesome. :colbert:

Also, since we have this fancy new thread, I might as well use this chance to post this description here since I am pretty sure I never put it up on SA before, just on G+.

quote:

The Marksman
An introduction? Feh! As if your talents require an introduction? There's no need for you to wear out your tongue singing your own praises--about the towering beasts you've reduced to whimpering pincushions, about the countless contests you've effortlessly sweeped, about the fair hearts you've won with your dashing good looks and undeniable charm. Why introduce a hero whose reputation precedes them?

Sure, maybe the Rogue managed to walk away from your last adventure with his pockets a little heavier than everyone else. So the Fighter took home an extra trophy skull or two. Who cares if the Paladin gained favor with his god, or the Bard was inspired to write a new verse? You've won the greatest reward of all--and you earned it, too. Because when you walk through the cheering crowds of that village after a long battle, holding your head high and grinning ear to ear, you don't need to tell people what you're so proud of. No. They can see it for themselves.

You're the greatest Marksman who ever lived, that's why, and any hapless chump who wants to claim otherwise can meet you on the archery range.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7LpRmY3Gig5MFRLWGFGSWpLT1E/edit?hl=en&forcehl=1
(Character Sheet Template by JJ Lanza, invaluable design assistance provided by the Dungeon World G+ and Something Awful communities)

Also, for the record, The Marksman doesn't have any multiclass moves NOT because he/she shouldn't, but because multiclassing as-implemented in DW is a boring and anti-fun mess and as far as I'm concerned should be houseruled by your table into something less restrictive anyway. Go with whatever MC rules you want for 'em.
Also because I ran out of space for moves.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I'm going to stop posting in the thread that I added things to the megapost, and just say hey I am adding things to the megapost every single day there is stuff to add. If something isn't there within a day or so of getting posted in here, feel free to yell at me.

ElegantFugue posted:

Okay, I've been kinda tracking this so far because it sounds really cool, but now all this talk about Survivors and CalamitiesCataclysms has me thinking of Bastion in a *World system and frankly that's just too awesome to not call out as awesome. :colbert:

I want you to know that any Bastion references there may or may not be in Survivor advance moves are entirely and completely because of this post.

vvvvvvv the other possible name for the setting is WORLDCRUST but Mikan kept pushing Inverse World so that is what we're sticking with, it seems. Worldcrust will just have to be a place.

That place is the sky made of rocks.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Honestly, kind of disappointed that Inverse World doesn't have anything to do with Slayers. Animeeee