Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
PAXEast sold out. Amazon pre-orders are sold out. Sounds like they are doing well with DW book sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Has anyone done psionic combat in dungeon world? Like a freeform mental assault where you imagine your a dragon and breath fire, then the other guy imagines he turns into a stone wall to avoid the fire breath, etc. That's how mental combat was portrayed in Dark Sun novels but the actual D&D system could never hope to match it. But it should work fine in DW.

Something like...

When you make a mental assault on another mind, use Hack And Slash with +INT.
When you engage in mental combat, your WIS bonus is your mental Armor.
Damage in mental combat is real, be careful!
Other basic moves remain the same; Defy Danger uses your brain's muscle memory if you mentally dodge a mental attack.

Maybe get the Shapeshifter move from Druid as a mental-only thing with +INT. Or just literally say 'you can do anything you can imagine, and may use any class move in mental combat'. But I would want to keep it simple.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Already available in the US via Amazon but not currently shipping worldwide (this is a glitch they're trying to fix). After that, they don't have a specific distribution channel for outside the US so it will be up to your local FLGSes to sort themselves out.

Got mine from amazon today in the mail. :black101:

Awww yeah! It's nice.

With size comparison:

ritorix fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 28, 2013

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
http://www.amazon.com/Dungeon-World-Roleplaying-Game/dp/0988639408/

Currently sold out.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

CitizenKeen posted:

How do Characters Die?
Okay, I get the "be a fan of the characters" bit. But when I combine that piece of advice with all the insight on altering combat on the fly, I'm curious as to how you know when it's time to kill a PC.

A scenario: A Fighter's got 2 HP left. The ogre's fist is coming down, and the fighter throws up his shield (or jumps out of the way, or whatever), and rolls. A 4. You could take away their resources, smashing his shield with the ogre's fist. Or you could do damage, rolling d10+1 (or whatever) and probably killing the fighter.

In this scenario, it's really up to the GM whether the player is down a shield or down a character, correct?

Fulfilling Bonds
Just so I'm clear, if my players feel their characters' bonds are all still relevant, and they played them to the hilt during the adventure, because they haven't been "resolved," they don't get XP, correct?

Hardest of the Core Classes
Of the nine core classes, which are the hardest for new players to wrap their minds around? I'm going to be starting a campaign with four players, so even if I get rid of one or two, that means that the last player to pick will still get to pick from at least four classes, so I was thinking of removing some "trouble" classes.

Character death is in the GM's hands most of the time, but the players have a lot of control too. They decide what their character does, which triggers moves that could more easily put them in danger (Hack&Slash 7-9) or leave the GM room for a softer move. If a fighter with 2HP left insists on Hack&Slash he is really risking death. Either way you might want to give him a Debility or something less permanent than death. Most monsters have non-damaging moves too; aboleths can do their 'invade a mind' instead of a tentacle attack for damage in response to a 7-9 Hack&Slash. As for when you should actually kill them? You will know.

If the characters played up all the bonds, they probably did fulfill one. If they have a bond like "Ragnar is great in battle" and it turned out that yep, he was pretty great, then the new bond could be "Ragnar is my sworn Shield Brother, I will never betray him." Old bonds evolve, relationships strengthen or weaken.

Druid is the hardest core class. Shapeshifting is a purely imaginative thing and uses Hold which is hard for a newbie/D&D player to get. Plus it takes GM input on all the animal moves. Once a player wraps his head around the class they are pretty fun.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I was looking into going to Gen Con this year, maybe running some Dungeon World. If anyone else wants to run it there, they pointed me to http://www.indiegamesexplosion.org/2013/01/29/games-on-demand-gen-con-2013/ http://www.indiegamesexplosion.org/contact-us/

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The warlock playbook has this rule if their minion dies: 'If it dies or is otherwise unavailable,
it summons itself to your side on the next sunset, alive and unharmed'. Something along those lines would work for the ranger as well. The companion could literally die and another shows up, or it just recovers. Depends on the fiction. If the ranger literally sacrifices his animal so the party can escape something nasty, yeah, it's dead. Other than an exceptional circumstance like that, I wouldn't just outright kill it.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Has anyone run this at a convention? I might volunteer to run it at GenCon this year in the games on demand area, looking for any practical tips, which playbooks you would bring, etc.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Bucnasti posted:

I haven't actually tried this yet but I was planning to start a game by asking each player what one thing they want to be able to do and then letting them chose from playbooks that do that thing really well.
You want to hit things? Here's the fighter, the improved fighter, the giant and the...
You want to cast spells? Here's the wizard, the mage, the warlock and the...

Yeah I'm planning to run some DW at a convention and wondering which playbooks to bring. I might narrow it down to twelve or so, enough for a group of 6 to have a bit of choice. So many good options that I wonder if I should even include some of the base classes like Wizard.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Ok this is a :siren: Dungeon World emergency!

Apparently I'm running a goon game at Gencon. If you want in, see the Gencon thread (friday at 9pm). What playbooks should I print? No more than like 10. We have new players so no crazy-complicated classes.

So far I'm thinking:
fighter/rogue/ranger/druid/paladin from core. Skipping bard/cleric/wizard.
Non-core: mage/psion/barbarian. What else? Anything I should really bring?

This is really last minute and I'm packing and stressing out.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Never had much luck with it in play really, Arcane Art is the culprit. Skipping the cleric/wizard because Vancian, replacing with mage/medic.

Ok I'll bring the Slayer, Artificer, and the Medic too which I forgot about. Thanks!

Good thing about DW is I can throw it together like this last-minute and still be confident it will go just fine.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 14, 2013

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I knew it would be a good game when I asked "how will I recognize you all in the crowd?" and the answer was "look for the guys in the luchador masks".

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
DW just won an Ennie for Best Rules. Well-deserved.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Ran the second goon dungeon World game at gencon tonight. I could do this forever. Chaos.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Yeah well it's been a long night. Played D&D for 8 hours, GM'd Goongeon World for 4 hours, drank for at least 2hours. Ugh. But I'm back at the hotel now so here you go.

Same module as last time. Class this time were barbarian, ranger, druid, psion and artificer.

The module I run is a one-shot gimmick. At the end of the dungeon is a minotaur who has been cursed by the gods. Whoever kills him becomes him. There is always a minotaur.

Add this to a secret bunch of pacts with Death Himself from Last Breath bargains ("give me a soul you are bonded with, and I'll let you stay alive"), and it leads to a hilarious cascade failure TPK at the end every time. No one wants to piss off Death, and no one really wants to be the final minotaur, but given the choice, well...every single time I have ever run this, there has only been one survivor: the last minotaur. It makes for a hilarious end to a one-shot con game.

Majority of the craziness came from the druid this time. Term of the night was "surprise bear". As in, surprise, that little bird that was on your shoulder is now a gigantic bear.

It was only actually a surprise the first time. Each other time led to tragedy.

He finally died when he (as a squirrel) ran up the escape chimney as the ranger tried to escape too. The minotaur (the psion at this point, artificer and barbarian were dead) was waiting at the bottom to kill whoever fell. Squirrel turned into Surprise Bear, got stuck in the tiny chimney, and ranger managed to grab a hold of his fur so he didn't fall and die.

Which means the druid didn't fulfill his bargain with Death yet. Kill someone close to you, or die. So he turned into a hummingbird. Ranger failed to catch him, Minotaur failed to chop the ranger, so ranger killed the minotaur by stabbing him in the skull as he fell. We are now on Minotaur #4.

The druid is feeling the heat because if he doesn't kill this last remaining guy, Death will take his soul. So he turns from Hummingbird back into Surprise Bear, falls down the hole, rolls a 6 and instead of crushing the newly-forming minotaur, he is gored to death on the horns.

Winner: Ranger.

We also had an elven barbarian who died perhaps the most imaginable metal :black101: death possible. Earlier in the dungeon, a kraken entangled him in tentacles and tried to swallow him whole. He rammed his sword down his mouth, killing it as it fell into a lake. Drowning and buried under several tons of dead kraken, he tried to saw his way through the body of the beast and emerge from the back, Sharknado-style. The rolls went badly and he perished. Death gave him the same offer and he told Death to go gently caress himself. He wrote "Most Metal Death Ever" in big letters across the character sheet and bid us farewell for the night.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Mage and druid for sure. Artificer too. I like the open-ended playbooks like those that allow for max destruction (by the GM, when things go wrong). Just read the druid shape shift faq in the OP.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 19, 2013

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"I went out and bought a copy the next day" is the best GM compliment.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

TheLawinator posted:

This sounds absolutely fantastic. Could I get some of your notes for the Heart of the Minotaur stuff?

Notes? Besides the one page of Heart of the Minotaur, there aren't any!

Offhand the only rooms I use from it are the entry, pool (fill with tentacle monster of choice), the trap, the temple, spider boat and lair at the end. Depending on how much time you have, start them off in town and send them towards the lair to rescue someone or whatever.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

PerniciousKnid posted:

Like so many people, I ran my group through the Heart of the Minotaur, and with my group's bard being such a terrible person, things took their natural course and he's now a minotaur. My initial thought was, "you walked up to a prostrate beast begging for mercy and stabbed him in the throat for money, gently caress you sir!" But later I tried to think of creative ways to keep him around in a way that is fun, but also has consequences, without making him the focus of the game. Maybe something like a cursed minotaur racial move, where he can hulk out but has to pass a death check after.

Does anybody have good stories about cursed characters and how it played out?

Nope, I've run it several times now and every game turns into a failure cascade as the new minotaur goes into a bloodrage, gets killed by someone else, then another, repeat until party wipe. Just as intended.

Of course I've only run it as a one shot.

I've never seen someone actually show mercy to halt the curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Tonight's gencon dw game involved an epic battle with crabopotamus. Watch out for those tentacle eyes.