Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
When you try to change the future, take -1 ongoing to any further attempts to change the future and roll +stat. On a 10+, hold 2, otherwise hold 1. On a 6- the GM holds 2, on a 7-11 the GM holds 1, on a 12+ you were a real careful bastard, weren't you?

Spend hold based on the stat that rolled it, 1-for-1, to:

STRENGTH:

- destroy some structure so that it never existed
- win a battle that was otherwise lost

DEXTERITY:

- build a structure where it never existed before
- create or bypass an impenetrable lock or puzzle

CONSTITUTION:

- a people bear a burden that would otherwise break them
- a structure stands that was doomed to fall

INTELLIGENCE:

- spread an idea before its time, or quash an idea in its time
- create or unwork a devastatingly intricate spell

WISDOM:

- destroy a lie, replace it with the truth
- though a great calamity happens, keep death from following in its wake

CHARISMA:

- spread a lie regardless of the truth
- guide a nation through its leaders to some end

Glazius fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

gnome7 posted:

Anyway, more importantly, Improved Bard. I rewrote Arcane Art in a way a sane person might understand, and I replaced Bardic Lore. Old Bardic Lore: A move that sometimes lets you get free info about a specific topic that you had to pick during character creation. New Bardic Lore: Spout Lore all day erry day, come up with legends about everything you come across, and get mechanically rewarded for being an exposition machine by Truth to Power.

I changed the advances slightly, but for the most part everything it had was already really good. I changed some of the +maths moves into something more interesting, and made Metal Hurlant +CHA like every other musical move is, but generally everything on that end is the same as normal bard.

I would move on to write Improved Thief now but Lemon's City Thief has basically got it covered. You should put that somewhere I can link it in the content post, G+ is not a sane place to store things.

I kind of don't like that you can just roll a 7-9 on Arcane Art and be all "oh well, nothing happens!" But everything else looks alright.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dungeon World is pretty great for taking internet D&D arguments and extracting kernels of amazing.

When you encounter something your signature weapon cannot harm, but strike a killing blow on it anyway, you may take the following move on level up.

Exhaustive Arsenal: You have an exhaustive arsenal. This counts as 6-weight, including your signature weapon.

When you find yourself in need of a weapon, you may draw your signature weapon from your arsenal or search your arsenal for the right tool for the job and select its tags as if you were creating a new signature weapon.

In addition, roll +wis. You may spend any amount of Preparation on this roll. On a 10+, pick 1, on a 7-9 pick 2, on a 6- pick 2 in addition to what the GM tells you.

- it's awkward to use, take -1 ongoing to Hack and Slash or Volley while wielding it
- it's blunted or weak, deal -1d4 damage while using it
- it's fragile or limited in use

After you take Exhaustive Arsenal, you may take any of the following moves on level up.

The Perfect Tool For The Job: When you search your arsenal for the right tool for the job, pick 1 fewer negative element. On a 12+, you may instead pick 1 additional enhancement for the weapon.

Loaded For Bear: You may buy specialty equipment for your arsenal. A unit of specialty equipment costs 50 coin and has 1 weight. When you search your arsenal for the right tool for the job, you may expend as many units of specialty equipment as you wish to add +1 to the roll per unit spent.

Seeker of Banes: Add this enhancement to the list of enhancements you choose for weapons from your exhaustive arsenal: on a hit, this weapon will impress, dismay, or frighten a specific creature type.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 20, 2013

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So there was apparently a panel at Pax East where the Dungeon World guys made up monsters and classes and stuff LIVE ON STAGE, but I can't find a recording of it anywhere. Anyone have a link to a podcast/video?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Rulebook Heavily posted:

When you hack and slash a foe while riding a spider and down them, you may choose to let your foe live but have them be poisoned to unconsciousness and cocooned by your spider.

I've basically been allowing this in my party unless people are using messy/forceful weapons - the "take prisoners at 0 HP" thing, anyway. In fact it's kind of a consideration for them - if you want prisoners, don't send the barbarian their way. Am I doing it wrong?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

sentrygun posted:

More importantly, why are enemies that you've forced back able to hit you? You're busting through a wall like the Kool-Aid man and sending them all on their asses, but they can hit you back?

The more generic "you put yourself in a spot" would work well here. Maybe they've got archer backup. Maybe you get too close to the edge of the cliff you just pushed them off. Maybe some smartass was hiding in the rafters and jumped onto your back with a dagger.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ThermonuclearTom posted:

Tonights session was my favourite session ever.

Yeah, that sounds pretty amazing. Running an escape from a giant spider god just off the cuff is one of the things Dungeon World excels at.

Pretty much every session of Dungeon World is my favorite session ever. Let me share.

So I'm taking advantage of drivethrurpg putting increasing numbers of PDFs of old D&D modules to get some adventure seeds. That got beautiful tonight.

The party had just finished taking out a couple of werewolves and driving off the pack of wolves they commanded, and were searching the ruined shrine they'd holed up in for loot. The werewolves had tried to pull the entire place down on them, and I was planning to use that in case they honked a roll somewhere, but failure wasn't in the cards. Then the bard asks "what should I be on the lookout for"?

You know what old D&D modules tend to excel at? Just dropping a bunch of dudes to fight down in a place without any real idea of how they'd come there in the first place. The werewolves had no backstory, so I decided to give them one.

I asked the dwarven paladin of a sky-guardian god what you would do to hide things from the god, and incorporated that answer into the revealing mechanism for a secret compartment in one of the shrine walls. Inside is a moon-shaped sickle held fast with gold ties, and bearing some old, dried blood. This is where the werewolves came from, though I don't say it explicitly - two orcs who walked into the shrine one day, found the sickle by sheer dumb luck, and cut themselves trying to get it free.

I ask if anybody wants to try to work it free, and the bard goes for it, rolling a partial success on the Defy Danger. Well, she's not instant-turned, but sleep is going to be interesting. Too late to be preventive, she spouts lore, gets a hit, and remembers a song about a hero who kept his lycanthropy at bay by sleeping ringed around with a ribbon embroidered with prayers to the sun. (She's multiclassed into Mage and taken Sun as her focus.)

The first night goes by, and she rolls a partial not to get turned. I describe a dream about wolves calling her to the mountains, but she can't move to answer them.

Before bedding down for the second night, she uses Sun magery to create her own solar ribbon, and decides the spell is going to have unintended side effects. So the next "don't get turned" roll is d6+d8 and I'm thinking something like the original Barbarian model here, where if the d8 comes up higher even on a success things get interesting.

drat if the d8 doesn't come up an 8.

So when the wolf comes for her in her dream, she lassoes it with the solar ribbon and rides it around for a bit. And now her human racial move is gone, replaced with some Planarch Codex-style heritage moves, and I'm wondering what else I can do with a solar werewolf.

Dungeon World owns.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 28, 2013

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Blasphemeral posted:

Thanks for reading, everybody! It was a great time. I'd love to hear your responses, and I'll pass them along to the party!

Have you had the chance to run another session since then?

Just curious.

It seems like your players had a lot of fun being clever. Did they think they were putting one over on you? Were they actually? And how did you feel about that?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

gnome7 posted:

Another playbook update for Inverse World. The Golem and The Collector are on their second drafts now, and I am much happier with where both of them are sitting. For those of you who have access to them, feel free to throw feedback at my face.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The Barbarian just got its final release, and can be found on this page: http://www.dungeon-world.com/the-kickstarter-treasure-trove/

Oh god dammit. And I just printed this stuff up to run at Origins. Ah well, another buck and a walk to the print shop never killed anybody.

(Stop by Indie Games on Demand if you're there, I'm running morning sessions and I have Planarch Heroes, a DW Planarch Codex joint with a whole raft of reskinned playbooks.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I just had a bolt of lightning about what shapeshifter (well, what heritage, and therefore by extension, what shapeshifter) moves are really doing.

You know how every move has like bold text representing its fictional trigger? "When you attack an enemy in melee", "when you destroy an obstacle with pure strength", "when you release a spell you've prepared".

You know how some moves make you roll and some moves don't?

When you use a shapeshifter/heritage move, you are engaging the fictional trigger and leaving the DM to write the rest. Which includes the rider "if there's doubt, roll some dice".

Maybe I'm conflating two things that shouldn't be put together there, or maybe I'm just way off base, but it seems to make sense.

Also!

Gamerofthegame posted:

So!

I intend to try and play a game of DW with some e-friends and I am doing a bit of research in the matter, but I am a little confused. The free copy claims to have been updated last in April, this year, but is this actually the most up to date? A pdf copy I saw some time ago from a friend didn't have things like rations and the like. I am a little shy on buying the game based on what might just be a one-shot and shier to get other people to buy it for just this, too, so;

What's the difference between the free rules and the print and PDF version?

The current print and PDF rules are the free rules, plus a bunch of examples of play and similar advice. You are not missing any rules with that gazetteer link, but you might be missing something that could help you understand them better.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 16, 2013

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ratpick posted:

I'm actually not sure. There was a huge Druid FAQ in the previous thread (and there's a link to it in the OP) which should clear things up, but the way I've understood it the moves granted by shapeshifter/heritage are more like GM moves than player moves, so when you use hold on them the exact thing that the move says it does happens with whatever mechanical consequences as appropriate in the fiction.

Now, a character that has shapeshifted into, say, a crocodile will be able to use the crocodile's "attack an unsuspecting victim" (to borrow from the crocodilian, which is basically just a big croc) by using hold provided the fiction is right for that given move (i.e. the victim is unsuspecting because the Druid turned croc is submerged in water). In that case, it happens and the Druid deals damage. After that the Druid couldn't keep spamming hold to deal damage because the fictional requirements of the move would no longer be in place, and they'd have to Hack and Slash normally to attack a foe. The Druid could use hold to trigger the "Hold something tight in its jaws" move following said attack, and again, it would just happen. However, if the creature were of a particularly strong bent, holding it in the Druid's jaws could trigger Defy Danger, the danger being "the creature struggles lose." But the Druid would've still been able to hold the creature in its jaws for a while, probably preventing said monster from making any monster moves before it started struggling.

So, yeah. Moves gained via Shapeshifter kind of just happen and their appropriate mechanical effects take place. In general I think that asking players to roll for moves triggered by using hold is bad form, because the player has already rolled to gain said hold, and in a game where failing a roll can have terrible (if interesting) consequences you don't want to make your players roll too many times for the same thing.

So: any move actually possessed by the animal form taken by the Druid (of which there are usually only two or three) just happens as long as the fiction is appropriate (and sometimes other moves, like Defy Danger, need to be made to set up an animal move), and for anything outside the animal's moves the player still needs to roll as appropriate.

But that's just the thing. Taken just as its direct implications, "attack an unsuspecting victim" is a terrible shapeshifter move. The Druid can do that even when he's not shapeshifted, do full damage, and not even have to roll anything! There are quite a few PC moves that may as well start with "when you attack an unsuspecting victim" and give you a choice between just dealing your damage or rolling +something to gamble for a greater effect.

The real shapeshifter move there, if you're thinking about it, would be like (when you) "hide yourself in the river" (nothing can find you without touching you), or (when you) "leap from water to surprise them" (deal your damage or roll +wis: on a hit deal your damage, on a 10+ also deal +1d6 damage or grab them in your jaws).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Androc posted:

So, I need some thread advice on something. For the past several weeks, I've been working on a Dungeon World setting dealing with multi-planar adventures. When completed, the first half will largely consist of about 5-7 sample planes organized like this, along with basic rules for traveling the planes and plane creation (work in progress). In other words, a setting that you can basically just drop a game into and have adventures. The second half would deal with the concept of a 'planeswalker campaign' specifically, calling out planeswalkers themselves as a discrete group with unique abilities and global concerns. They may or may not be immortal, and one thing I specifically want to write is a thematic guide to their antagonists with multiple possible interpretations and approaches.

I guess my concern is, is all of this still too similar to dark heart of the dreamer or is it something people would be interested in?

Dark Heart of the Dreamer is about Dis as a big ol' melting pot. You visit weird places and such, but all of them are either part of Dis or will immanently become one. Looking at the planes as individual places with their own idiosyncrasies is a different enough philosophical approach to warrant its own module, and the teaser got me interested.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Hey, Mounted Combat is coming out! Eventually.

I'm all for things that expand play or options, but not necessarily classes or CCs. They're the most obvious, but they're not a set of rules for rulership, a set of rules for mass combat, or a set of exploration rules resembling an old school hexcrawl. There's no Great Game (ala Weapons of the Gods) out yet. These kinds of things are way more effort than a class in some ways, but I think they have potential. And I'm not just saying that because I'm planning like three of them already.

I've bashed together some rules for wilderness exploration, drawing on the Planarch Codex for inspiration. The wilderness is a dungeon without quite so many walls, if you want to treat it that way.

When you travel through the wilderness to explore it, you make progress at half speed. Assign party members to roles as though you were undertaking a perilous journey, but roll +wis at the beginning of each day.

On a 10+, the trailblazer lets the party explore a sufficient area while still maintaining full travel speed. On a 7-9, the party moves at half-speed and doesn't get turned around or caught in dangerous terrain. On a 6-, I'm sure you can imagine.

On a 10+, the quartermaster can forage sufficient supplies from the wilderness so the party doesn't need to consume a ration that day. On a 7-9 the party consumes one ration as normal but doesn't lose any to spoilage, wildlife, or mishap. On a 6-, well well.

In addition to the usual rules for surprise, on a 10+, the scout can ask the GM what, roughly, lies in two directions of their choice. On a 7-9 they get one direction and the GM picks a direction. On a 6- the GM picks a direction, in addition to the GM move.

But what's in the wilderness, anyway? (cribbing from Planarch Codex here)

The GM should think of 2-5 rough themes for the wilderness, depending on the size of it and how much they'd like the PCs to explore. Write down each theme with a countdown track from 6-12 boxes. For the northern mountain wastes of the frost giants, the GM may decide on cold (10), brutality (12), majesty (8), and distant thunder (6). For each day's travel, roll +nothing for each theme. On a 7-9, its strength is 1; on a 10-11, it's 2; and on a 12+ it's 3. As long as you have that many boxes left in the countdown, mark them off; when you're out of boxes, the theme no longer occurs. If a die lands off the table or in an unreadable position, there's some weird interloper in the area. (Alternately, if you're using an online roller or something, if you get the exact same roll for any two themes, there's an interloper.)

If you want things to group up a little bit, consider this: on a 7-9, take +1 forward to the next roll for a theme. On a 10+, take +1 ongoing until you roll a 12+. On a 12+, you've found the source of this theme. Treat further rolls of 12+ as a 10.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ratpick posted:

Yeah, "attack an unsuspecting enemy" was a pretty stupid example. I was tired.

"Attack an unsuspecting enemy" is a perfectly good monster move! It does several important things:
  • It informs the GM's fiction by giving him an example of something this monster, specifically, does - waiting in ambush.
  • It ties into several GM soft moves like 'put someone in a spot' or 'reveal an unwelcome truth' - as you inch across the narrow bridge a crocodile vaults from the river, jaws flashing!
  • It offers an excuse for a hard move - as you're wrapped up inspecting the great temple door for traps, a crocodile lunges from its hiding place in the moat and clamps down on your leg, take d8 damage!
But when you just turn it into a move to give a player to spend Shapeshifter hold on, it kind of loses its luster, because players can already set themselves up to attack an unsuspecting enemy. Turning it into "hide in the river" gives the player a unique fictional advantage; turning the resolution into a Backstab-style move offers more punch than what the player can do already. Either can work! Just keep in mind that a monster move is built to flow into a GM move, not a player outcome, and may need some tweaking.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Elderbean posted:

Some questions...

-How do you guys generally handle Discern Reality? Whenever my players use it I sometimes have trouble answering all of their questions.

-How do traps/location moves usually work? Most players don't have trapsense, so do I just hint that something might be wrong and wait for them to act?

-When it comes to bluff/deceit, do you just assume success most of the time or make that Defy Danger +Cha?

When it comes to Discern Realities, keep in mind that no response is also a response.

"What happened here recently" should have an answer most of the time, even if it's not necessarily a useful one.

"What is about to happen", if you can't think of anything pending in this particular location, is okay to deflect. "You can't pick up on anything waiting for you. You can take your own initiative." And they get +1 forward to do that because they're what's about to happen. Kind of a consolation prize, maybe.

"What should I be on the lookout for", if you don't have any pending dangers, it's fine to say so. Just keep in mind that when your PCs are rolling to make moves, you've got to bring something down on their heads when they miss. Especially nonintrusive ones like Spout Lore and Discern Realities. Even if there's nothing waiting to happen, try to always have something dangerous about the dungeon. "The architecture is old and crumbling", "you can't see the extent of the dwarven machinery", "the overhead canopy is awfully dense", "the air is thick with magical potential". But if it's really totally safe? +1 forward because they don't have to worry.

"What here is useful or valuable to me", well, make sure you know what they want to do when they're asking Discern Realities. Is there something here that could help them do that? If not, "there isn't anything here that could help you. You may want to press on" is just fine, because again, +1 forward. You are what is about to happen.

"Who's really in control here" has an easy null answer - for right now, you are!

"What here is not what it appears to be" has the same sort of null answer as "what is useful or valuable" - "there's nothing more involved here - you can move on".

Don't be too quick to go to null answers, since they can compromise your agenda or your principles. If something here is not what it appears to be, isn't that fantastic? Doesn't it fill the PC's lives with adventure? And if you're thinking dangerously there's always something to be on the lookout for.

If you have trouble coming up with answers, ask the player what they're doing to carefully investigate the person, place, and/or thing. What are you doing to work out what isn't what it appears to be? How are you trying to work out who's in control? What are you trying to accomplish that you're looking for useful things to help?

Definitely hint at something being off in the surroundings for a trap. But even if the PCs spring a trap, as long as they didn't do so by rolling a miss on an attempt to evade the trap, just put them in a spot. A brace of knives fly from a hidden slot - what are you doing? Slots on the walls open up and a foul purple gas begins to trickle into the room - what are you doing? The floor beneath you suddenly opens up - what are you doing?

Bluffs, well. Sometimes, just note them down. If there's nothing you have to gain by challenging the PCs or having NPCs doubt them, just go along. But otherwise, definitely defy danger +cha, with the obvious danger being "you're made" - or if you want to flip the script, buy into the bluff wholeheartedly and the danger is "you agree to doing something that you can't possibly manage".

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Someone's probably wrote this idea out already, but humor me.

When you defeat a large monster while mounted on, clinging to, or otherwise riding it, you may take this move at level up:

Monster Climber

When you latch on to a monster and begin climbing it, roll +Str. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a 6-, hold 1, in addition to whatever the GM says. Spend your hold, 1-for-1, on the following options:
  • You brace yourself securely to attack or resist being thrown off
  • You move to a vulnerable spot; your attacks gain +2 piercing while you have hold
  • You open the monster up to or divert the monster away from an ally, giving them +1 forward.
When you run out of hold, you may dismount the monster safely if it was remotely possible. You may also safely dismount by spending all your hold at any time.

After you have taken Monster Climber, you may take any of the following moves at level up.

No, THAT Way

When you are climbing a monster and try to redirect its attack or movement, roll +Str. On a 7-9, pick two of the following options:
  • The monster does some of what you want
  • The monster doesn't do some of what it wants
  • You don't have to dismount immediately
On a 10+, you can pick all three, or double up on one of the first two so that the monster does all of what you want or none of what it wants.

Like A Monster, But Better-Smelling

Your monster-climbing moves apply to any constructed vehicle you can latch onto and climb.

Like A Monster, But Not Trying To Kill Me

When riding on a friendly creature trained to bear riders, take +1 ongoing until you dismount.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 20, 2013

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

EscortMission posted:

Alright, I have a confession. :ohdear:

I've been running this game for something like four months, and I have no idea how a front works. I've pored over everything I can get my hands on and something is just not clicking.

Can somebody explain this to me like I'm a grandma?

A front is a dude or a bunch of dudes that wants a thing. Generally a bad thing. This thing is the front's impending doom. Maybe there's a thieves' guild who wants to take over a town. Maybe there's a rogue magician who's doing crazy experiments that will blanket the earth in demons. Maybe there's a gargoyle lairing near a peasant village that's going to kill a couple villagers and a bunch of sheep. All of these things are fronts.

If the PCs don't do anything, the front's impending doom is going to come to pass. But along the way to that impending doom are grim portents - signs visible to the PCs that something is going wrong. A bunch of toughs shake down a merchant for protection money. A water demon bursts out of a well in the town square and starts wreaking havoc. Three sheep are found dead. That kind of thing.

Introduce grim portents at your leisure, when the PCs stop for downtime or if it would make sense as a consequence when they honk a move.

Fronts also often have custom moves associated with them, either narratively linked to the threat (and available to you as a GM move) or handling something the PCs do to confront them as a special case. These moves are not grim portents in their own right, though they can lead to them. The thieves' guild runs recon on the PCs as a threat. The rogue magician learns the true name of a demon too powerful for him to control. The gargoyle scars a shepherd who was trying to protect the sheep.

Ultimately, a front is there to help with your bookkeeping, and provide a context for the moves you're making against the PCs.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

EscortMission posted:

So, lemme try to make an example, to see if I'm doing this 100% right.

If I'm going to run something based fairly closely on Die Hard, Hans Gruber and his men are the main Front.

Their Impending Doom is "Break into the basement vault, take the money, and escape scot-free."

Various grim portents might include "The douchebag yuppie coworker tries negotiating with the terrorists," "the giant german guy Karl shows up with breaking people in half on his mind," and "the power is turned off, unlocking the final lock on the vault." I'm not super sure on the last one, but the general idea is "these are used to break up the monotony when things need to start getting worse," right?

Various custom moves might be "Send a goon to investigate," "Display command over the building's security systems," or "Announce that a hostage will be executed in the next sixty seconds unless a demand is met." They are kind of long move names, but they represent things that can be done fairly frequently in response to the party's actions.

Is this about right or am I off base still?

The Impending Doom is the absolute last thing that happens: "get away scot-free with the money". "Break into the vault" is more along the lines of one of the portents. Probably the last one before the doom hits. But other than that, I think you've got it. If your players aren't on this board, you might want to post a current or past Front for feedback.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So here's a link to the draft version of some playbooks and setup books I made to run Dungeon World at the Indie Games on Demand event at Origins two weeks ago.

The con's theme this year was "Heroes", and this is basically a mostly skin-deep reskin of existing playbooks to replace fantasy references with comic book references, and very occasionally tweak a few more things. The scenario, when I got to run it, was basically this particular setup, with individual setup moves prior to that scenario one, in landscape-format booklets that are meant to be folded around a playbook sheet.

All the playbooks have slots for Heritage Moves, because heroes often add a bunch of idiosyncratic tweaks to the archetype.

This folder contains:

Hero Moves: The basic moves reskinned. Very little on the back page has changed, but the most basic moves have largely been renamed.
The Beacon: Originally the Paladin. My inspiration was "Wonder Woman". A figure from a better world than this one who tries to point the way.
The Brute: Originally the Barbarian. The inspiration should be obvious. Draws strength from anger, often with lots of fallout.
The Commander: Originally the Captain, from Inverse World. If you want to play Nick Fury on the helicarrier, this is your class.
The Dark Knight: Lemon Curdistan's City Thief, because I couldn't really make Batman use poison. (Also I was trying to come up with an explanation for every playbook as a different version of Batman, but that's neither here nor there.)
The Field Marshal: gnome7's Improved Bard, flavored to be more warlordy and less musical. Think Captain America or Cyclops, a hero who can scrap a mean scrap but in companywide crossovers gets the spotlight moments by giving good orders.
The Lightbearer: Originally the Lantern, from Inverse World, because the Nova Corps is also totally a thing you guys.
The Shapechanger: Originally the Druid. Probably needs a little more reflavoring because Bwana Beast totally fits all the Druid's schticks but Beast Boy and Chameleon Boy not so much.
The Showboat: gnome7's Dashing Hero. Spidey, or Wally West's Flash, or Crackerjack if you want to get all Astro City about things. Equal parts luck, patter, and genuine skill.
The Slinger: ElegantFugue's Marksman. Because Green Arrow and Hawkeye didn't really have animal companions.
The Strange Visitor: Originally the Barbarian. No, that's not a typo, and you shouldn't let the table play him and the Brute together. Powered by heroic drives, but living in a world of cardboard.
The Tinkerer: gnome7's Artificer. Hank Pym, the second Blue Beetle, or Brave and the Bold Batman with a giant utility belt.
The Wall-Crawler: Originally the Walker, from Inverse World. More of a Superior Spider-Man than the original, or Daredevil in his darker moments, or Arkham Asylum (the game) Batman.
The War Machine: Originally the Mechanic, from Inverse World. A hero whose powered armor goes above and beyond the utility belt's level of importance. Iron Man, or perhaps Batman Beyond.
The Weaponmaster: gnome7's Improved Fighter. Iron Fist, Karate Kid, perhaps Thor if you want to make the hammer a big deal.
The Winged: Originally the Sky Dancer, from Inverse World. Because even if everybody on the team flies, there's always one hero whose entire deal is that they can fly.
The Wonder-Worker: gnome7's Mage. Doctor Strange, Dr. Fate, Iceman, Susan Storm. Superheroes don't Vancian cast.

This needs a pass for cleanup, to make sure all the move triggers are bolded properly, to tweak the formatting on the Strange Visitor and Brute because I had to paste in new moves at literally the last second, and to provide a sheet with the scenario move and a brief introduction to how Dungeon World works down to character creation, and then it'll be con-ready for anybody to pick up and play.

Had a single glorious 4-hour session with a bunch of GMs who needed a break on Saturday night. Been meaning to write it up for the experiences thread.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like Maybe You've Heard Of Me? because it offers a non-shooty thing for the Slinger to do. It's important to have variety in your basic moves.

Though replacing it like you'd suggested does take him out of the Showboat's baliwick and into his own observation-y thing.

I'm thinking, on a hit, you learn how you could gain leverage over the other party. On a 7-9, pick one: it's something you have on you right now, or they don't realize you were prying. On a 10+, both.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fenarisk posted:

Realistic question for those running this or playing this...how often do your players use the class moves in relation to just doing mostly defy danger/base moves using the general die mechanic? How much is coming up with shared fiction/quick gameplay using the most basic rolls without specific class things tied in?

Going by what other people said, you could well play the game with nothing but the basic moves, but one of the GM moves is "offer an opportunity that fits a class's abilities" and it's there for a reason: everyone likes to have their spotlight time, you know? The fighter breaks things and does weapon tricks, the paladin heals people and Is The Law, the rogue searches for traps and backstabs. It really depends on the adventure, the class, and what needs to be done.

I will say that most of the really memorable moments from the sessions I've run involve players using their class moves in some way, rather than a basic move.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Welcome to Dungeon World, where you make poo poo up and it is glorious. Good to hear your players are having fun with it!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

InfiniteJesters posted:

So after reading some of the latest updates in F&F I want to run Tomb of Horrors in Dungeon World just to see what it would be like.

(And also to see if my friends would ever speak to me again). :v:

Take along a Thief and a Ranger with an animal companion trained to search, and you could probably chump the place. Dungeon World is a lot friendlier about providing information to PCs who ask the right questions.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Trollhawke posted:

So I've had a tenative go at writing a new class on Dungeon World, based in part on the Lord class from fire emblem, working well with hirelings.

As a close to first draft, It's likely pretty far from being and is missing 3 6-10 moves, but I am still looking for criticism and such nontheless. I originally had it in mind of being a cha/dex character, but admittedly the dex aspect is kind of lacking. I will most likely make changes based on you guys think needs to be done.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

The Collector does something where your "race move" determines what you roll for a stat that a lot of other moves use. I might be tempted to say that many of your moves as an Heir roll +HONOR and Warlord, Bureaucrat, and Magus all assign different stats to it.

Also, that thing where it looks like you can choose another starting move, but your "race move" winds up determining it? I'd say just let you choose. You can easily get multiple good stats in Dungeon World.

The "child of royalty" move could stand to be clarified a bit. Once per session you pick one of those options and mark all the boxes next to it, then when you satisfy your alignment or Royalty obligation you can clear one of the boxes, and you can't use an option until it's all clear. Right? How many boxes can you clear per session?

For the "be a Protector, Adept, or Priest" move there's no "in lieu of your actual action" thing in Dungeon World. There is no taking turns; you go when the plot says. What's the intention there?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Trollhawke posted:

Thanks for picking up on this. The intent is that you can mark each box individually, so if you wanted houses for the night, no questions asked, you'd mark the "housing for the night" once and "no questions asked" once. Assuming most players fulfil alignment once per session, that should provide 2 refills per session. Would it help if the last sentence read as

"Mark each box in order to use your resources for the following:" ?

Alright, so the intent is that you can only hit each track once per session, but some tracks have more give to them than others?

quote:

The intent is that, in the time it would take for an average 'turn' in another game, you choose to sacrifice your action in order to help someone with their action. In terms of translating it, I might either go with something like "with a moment's notice, you can..."(to represent saccing your action to help someone with lower initiative) or "However, it whil take a moment to stop assisting your ally"
any suggestions?

Handgun Phonics posted:

Wouldn't they just be replacing the "Aid or interfere" move?

Oh, that's a good idea! Instead of granting a normal aid/interfere result on a success, you can act as a Protector/Adept/Priest.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Handgun Phonics posted:

What's a good rule of thumb for damage from the environment? For example, damage from a boulder trap rolling over someone, or flunking a jump between two rooftops. Or for that matter, managing to drop a dungeon ceiling on a dragon. I feel like I'm a lot more likely to screw it up when I have to start producing actual numbers out my rear end, instead of just situations.

From the "Harm and Healing" section, page 21:
  • It threatens bruises and scrapes at worst: d4 damage
  • It's likely to spill some blood, but nothing horrendous: d6 damage
  • It might break some bones: d8 damage
  • It's likely to kill a common person: d10 damage
Add "take the best of 2" or "take the worst of 2" if the person doing it is particularly skilled or unskilled. For glancing blows, consider worst of 2 or taking off 1d4/1d6 damage.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Handgun Phonics posted:

Are there currently any Dugneon World classes that focus on- or at least are capable of- temporarily enchanting weapons? Like turning a sword into a flaming sword, or making electric arrows, or the like.

The Fighter can graft any enchantment onto his signature weapon if he takes Blacksmith, but that's not exactly temporary, is it? You're thinking more like anointing the blade and it catches fire for one combat or something?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Figured I'd share the AAR for that Planarch Heroes hack I listed upthread.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

unzealous posted:

Do you want to play a ridiculous pastiche of 80's action heroes who tend to make things blow up and benefit greatly from narrative causality? Do you want a sweet rear end gun loaded down with tactical options? Do you want to look at a mostly complete class that's still missing a few moves because those last few always seem to take the longest? Then you should check out...
The Maverick!

+2 or +3 to a roll, on top of a stat bonus, is kind of huge. I'd consider taking a different tack with it, like making the base move like the Mage's Cast a Spell (choose two downsides on 7-9, one on 10+), and pattern the advances after Prodigy (no downside on 12+) and Archmage (one less downside).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
In my head, the dividing line between Ritual and Cast a Spell is the difference between completely solving a problem and creating an advantage/disadvantage.

Also! Question came up on RPG.net but nobody really weighed in - how do you deal with the intersection of armor and spending hold on Defend to take half damage? I subtract armor from the damage and then cut what remains in half, but I'm not sure what the order of operations should be.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's a pretty keen markup. How much of this is prep, how much is AAR?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Teonis posted:

I do it the other way around, since defending is more than just your armor, you are actively trying to deflect that damage. I half the incoming damage first, then any damage that gets past your defense still has to strike your armor, so then I subtract armor last. logically why would you want your armor value divided in half just becasue you are defending. After all, someone in plate armor who defends is going to block more blows than someone in leather or without armor.

Well, I'm just thinking there are characters who can potentially have 6 armor all the time (plate + shield + paladin/fighter advanced moves), and doing it half-before-armor makes them pretty much invincible.

QuantumNinja posted:

That's 100% prep. The fifth session became two sessions (it's really long). The AARs would be notable longer, I think, because so much happened around those scenes (like chasing Imp #2 through the wizard school, or deciding to fight the Nightwings in the belfry itself in the keep).

Dang. That is way more prep than I generally bother with, but it's good to know you can run DW without it going to waste.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

TheLawinator posted:

So, I'm running some more one-shot sessions, and I'm wondering how you guys come up with monster stats on the fly. Moves and such I'm fine with, but how do you balance health and damage?

Page 224-225 (or this) aren't doin' it for you?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Harrow posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but it may actually come up in a game I'm running.

Where do you usually draw the line between Cast a Spell and Ritual for the Mage? Both are really open-ended, and I think the point is that Ritual takes over when a spell is too big for Cast a Spell. I'd really appreciate examples of spells that should be one or the other, though, if anyone has any.

In terms of scale? Cast a Spell can allay a consequence, or create an opening for someone else to solve a problem. If you're trying to clear something up all in one go, it needs the time and consequences of a Ritual.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Lucky Raccoon posted:

So this is sort of a general GM question I guess. I have a really great and creative group, but I have one player who gets very discouraged every time I make a tough move and try and challenge her to adapt. She shuts down. For context she's a very new player who is running a thief and has found herself on her own, so I can't just switch to another player while she sorts out what she does/wants to do. Does anyone have experience with this kind of player and/or advice on building a new player's confidence in story game? I'm on the cusp of losing this player, but they always show genuine excitement about the game up until actual play.

Why's she going off alone? Can't anybody from the party go with her?

I mean, that's sounding pretty worst-case-scenario as it lies - somebody new generally benefits from having somebody else in there and dealing with the same things she's dealing with.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

petrol blue posted:

I've not, pretty much all I've seen is the different class-sheets and a cheat-sheet. It says good things about the game that it already has the idea in it. Does it usually end up batshit-insane?

People often wind up failing outright or taking compromises on rolls. How insane things wind up depends largely on how important those rolls are to things not being insane.

And also how willing the DM is to go insane. Dungeon World's mechanics are generic enough that they can hold on even when the plot train derails into crazytown.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fenarisk posted:

I almost forgot, in the morass of playbooks and compendium classes flooding the market, how cool magic items are in DW.

Yeah, I pulled Next's magic item generation system out when I wanted to gen a couple of things, and since it doesn't actually produce a magic item at the end as much as a bunch of descriptors, it worked pretty well.

quote:

The Torrent Spear is a pitted bronze pole topped by a sharpened hunk of red coral with strange absorptive powers. It functions as a normal spear. When you dip the Torrent Spear into or coat the Torrent Spear with one waterskin's worth of liquid, it absorbs it into the red coral and is charged. It can only hold 1 charge and takes some time and concentration to refill.

When you unleash a bolt of liquid from the Torrent Spear, pick a target within Near range and volley as normal - this attack gains the forceful tag. If you opt to expend ammo on a 7-9, you expend the charge.

When you unleash a wave of liquid from the Torrent Spear, you expend the water charge. Choose one enemy from targets in Reach range and roll +Str. On a 10+, choose 2, on a 7-9, choose 1.
  • you deal class damage to your chosen target and push it away
  • you push all other targets away
  • you open up your chosen target to an ally, giving them +1 forward against it.

quote:

The Clamor Shield is a beaten brass disc marked with musical notes in a forgotten and possibly diabolic notation scheme. It's uncomfortable to be too close to it when something hits it hard enough to make it ring, but you can use it as a shield and keep it muffled.

When you stand in defense and brandish the Clamor Shield, you always open up the attacker to an ally when you spend hold, in addition to whatever else you choose.

When you grit your teeth and beat your weapon against the Clamor Shield anyway, roll +con. On a hit, everything in melee with you (Close range) is momentarily disturbed - your allies take +1 forward against them. On a 10+, you manage to shake off the stun before anything else can take advantage of it.

And my players honked their Spout Lore roll to identify both of them, so I bribed them with XP to treat the first one as a staff that turned water into healing energy if you pointed it at yourself, and the second one as a shield that helped you maneuver in battle if you beat it with your weapon.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Boing posted:

Has anyone played with time travel mechanics in DW? I want my players to find a steampunk time machine or something, and it really deserves having its own move, but I'm stuck for how to make it interesting. I guess you could roll +Int to operate the machine and see if you go in the direction you want to go, how accurate you are, etc., but that doesn't really work in an exploration context (since if you're exploring you don't much care about where you're going anyway), and it doesn't much work in a targeted time travel context (since the story would depend on the players getting to where they need to get to). An interesting mechanic would be something like "On a 10+, hold 3, on a 7-9 hold 1, use hold to describe one important way in which things have changed, or have stayed the same", but it doesn't really make sense to roll for that. Any ideas?

There was a discussion about something like this around five months ago.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Machai posted:

My friends and I just started playing DW for the first time last night. I choose The Mage class and I have a few questions about how some of its spell casting works.

*Cast A Spell has a consequence where I take -1 ongoing to INT until I have time to clear my head. Can I stack this from multiple spells casts?

Next level (3) I will have 18 intelligence which gives me +3 INT. With a stun debility and a -1 ongoing from spell casting I would have +1 to Cast A Spell so in most cases I would never have less than +1. This would seem to make the Spell Focus bonus to aligned spells (aligned spells can not have less than a +1 bonus) mostly useless as I would still have at least +1 at all times. If I could stack the -1 ongoing consequence, if I cast a lot of spells in a short time I could get a big -n ongoing to spell casting for unaligned spells while still having a +1 to aligned spells, forcing me to choose my spells more wisely.

-1 ongoing always stacks with itself, yeah.

quote:

*My spell focus is The Tower which is opposed to using magic to escape or flee. During our session we were attacked by some guys in a moving castle and had to run away or be overwhelmed by guards. We were in a desert so as we were running I cast a spell to create a mirage of empty desert around my group. Is this spell opposed to my focus? My argument for the spell is that we were already running away and my spell was not directly aiding or causing us to be running away but instead it was protecting us from harm which is an aligned element to my spell focus. If I had instead tried to teleport us away or make us run faster that would be directly enabling or causing us to flee and I would be unable to cast that spell.

I'd call that opposed, actually. It's not so much the intent of the spell as the intent of the caster. Like, if you're The Dragon and you want to breathe out a welding torch to stick an iron golem back together? Doesn't matter that the flame would be harmful to most things, you're still mending/repairing, and that's opposed to your focus.

quote:

*Cast A Spell VS Black Magic- I do not have the Black Magic ability and thus can not cast spells to inflict pain unless I use the Black Magic option of Counterspell. At one point in the session I was being swallowed by a monster and Cast A Spell to make my stick wand grow a bunch of thorns down into the monster's throat. I rolled 7-9 and one of the consequences was "Your spell affects either much more or much less than you wanted it to." The GM had the thorns grow way too much and caused the monster to explode and damage me and one of my allies. Would things like this be considered directly inflicting pain? I am not throwing fire or lightning at a creature, I am merely causing my stick to grow pointy thorns while it just so happens to be inside of a monster.

You can't Cast A Spell with the intent to do direct damage, but if the GM interprets one of the downsides of your spell as damaging yourself or others, that's legit.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
When you resolve a bond with somebody, the next time you help them out you can just give them an extra d6 to roll (they keep the top two).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Also we had a short in-game period of time to save to world, so part of the tension was running out of rations before we made it to the end of the mission. What is to stop you from getting normal equipment, then spending the rest of your money on rations up to your carry load? How many rations do players typically carry?

Or do you not bother keeping track of things like rations and ammo?

Well, first you have to get money, then you have to get somewhere to buy rations (your first session is assumed to take place in the middle of something exciting), then you can't pick up anything else without taking kind of a severe penalty. And I hope your DM gives you interesting things to pick up.

In my experience, how many rations you carry depends mostly on how far you're willing to travel. When you settle in to rest and consume a ration, you have to go to sleep to heal up, and it's entirely within the realm of possibility for the GM to say that doom's going to get a lot more impending while you sleep.