Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I searched for Dungeon World on Amazon and didn't turn up this game. Anyone have a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I bought a PDF from DriveThru already. I'm looking for a hard copy now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I owe Dungeon World a debt about now. I cribbed the "success with a cost" concept into my PbP Fate Core game. It's power rangers themed, and I decided that when Morphing Under Fire, rolling Will will always lead to a successful morph, but if you fail the check, some manner of consequence results.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I grew tired of the default array, so whenever I make a new Dungeon World character, I roll my stats.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a tool to create class playbooks/character sheets that look like the ones from the corebook? I really like the monster creation utility on the official site and would love one for characters.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Overemotional Robot posted:

Going to teach and run my very first game of DW tomorrow night and am kind of nervous about messing it up. Any tips from vets in here? I've read the ones in the OP and that's generally stuff I'd do anyway. Should I just make a really bare-bones scenario and just let the gameplay lead us in the story from there? I'm excited, but I don't want to screw up GMing this and have them hate the system or something.

It's already been said, but I'll post it again so you know we're serious. The phrase "What do you do?" is your best friend.

Tip 2 is: Whatever batshit crazy things your players come up with, roll with it. My GM let me get away with using the Wizard cantrip that lets you make things glow in different colors to turn my staff into a literal disco/rave stick. And then use that as background ambiance for an epic dance-off with a goblin king.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Overemotional Robot posted:

^^^^Hahaha, oh my gosh that's awesome.

The worst part is that the goblin king had the appearance of the one from The Hobbit film....with the costume of the one from Labyrinth.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone made playbooks for the 6 original Final Fantasy classes? I suppose Fighter and Thief are already covered by the Fighter and Rogue books, but I think it'd be fun to run a DW game with a Fighter, Thief, Black Belt, White Mage, Black Mage, and Red Mage.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

sentrygun posted:

The Initiate fits pretty well for the Black Belt, but even then you could just use a Fighter with their fists as their Signature weapon. Other than that, Cleric, Wizard, and Bard cover the three mages just fine. The Priest and Mage exist if you don't like Vancian casting, but the original FF had Vancian casting anyways so it fits better if you just stick to the two spell list classes.

Classes designed specifically to be the three mages probably wouldn't be different enough from the existing spellbooks to really make a brand new class out of.

I suppose you're right. I was just looking for a little bit more support for enforcing "healing and status spells only" and "offensive spells only" for the White and Black mages, but that won't be a huge problem as long as players are on board with the concept.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AlphaDog posted:

I'll just buy the PDF from drivethru.

If IPR would take a bank transfer or credit card, I'd happily pay for the book and shipping since I'm quite used to awful local prices and shipping charges. Expecting everyone who wants a hardcopy to have paypal is dumb as hell though.

PayPal is kinda the standard for online business that's too small to make a direct set-up with the credit card companies. Getting upset about PayPal required is akin to getting upset that your TV requires alternating current.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My FLGS is apparently incapable of ordering a copy. Is there anyone I should put them in contact with?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Namechat has compelled me to reveal that my current Wizard character is named Roland Biggerstaff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is Indie Press Revolution the only place to get a hardcopy of Dungeon World? I'm not paying almost half the price of the book over again in shipping...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RSIxidor posted:

How have you guys handled playing one-shots?

For instance, stuff that would come up in the end session move, could it occur earlier on to give a benefit?

For instance, if a bond were resolved in the middle of the session? Or if you defeat a notable monster at some point?

Just wondering how others have handled this.

Our group just plays out the end session rules-as-written and we all hang on to our character sheets. The next time someone wants to play Dungeon World we drag out the same characters again. A series of one-shots, more or less.

I guess if you're planning to literally just play with that group/with those characters once and only once, you might as well just skip the whole thing though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I at one point heard that Dungeon World was going to be sold through Amazon.com, is this still a thing that will happen? IPR is out of hardcopies and even if they had one, $11 for shipping is outrageous.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rocket Ace posted:

Or you pull in some tragic irony. A prophecy around the character: "No blade made by a living smith shall kill him" ruh roh

Not Dungeon World, but my group did get to recreate the "I am no man" reveal from Return of the King at one point in a tabletop session.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I was about to buy the print+PDF bundle over on IPR, and the store page said there were 690-ish available, but when I added to cart and went to check out, I was told it was a pre-order. I thought physical copies were released ages ago?

And whatever happened to being able to order off Amazon? (hopefully with Prime shipping so it doesn't cost me half again the cover price of the book)

Is there any decent way to get a print copy of Dungeon World at the moment?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So if they're out of books...where are those 690 copies that IPR claims to have available? And will the second printing be available on Amazon?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

gnome7 posted:

I agree! I also had a bunch of comments on the update post about it with some good advice. This looks much better/more professional now:

Now that is a sexy cover. I'm kinda regretting digital only at this point, but seeing as I've yet to find a physical copy of Dungeon World itself yet, I'm not too put out about it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just ran a one-shot of Dungeon World with precisely zero prep time. My housemate (fellow goon Krysmphoenix) needed a break from homework so I suggested an RPG.

Highlights included: Our burly butch Elf fighter lady having to dance with a dire-bear to recruit it into the party, a giant flaming tortoise being attacked by spider parasites, and a collection of multicolored imps with toxic smoke-blood attacking an inn.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I like the "yes you turn into a bear, but it's not Smokey sized, it's more...Boo Boo sized". Or pull an Animorphs "you do that thing you said, but then you spend a few minutes wrestling with the animal's natural instincts"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Harrow posted:

How much detail is too much detail when making a Dungeon World setting?

I admit, this is somewhat painful for me. I tend to be Mr. Detailed Setting, a big ol' list of gods and a page-long dissertation on the nature of magic and the difference between what a wizard does and what a sorcerer and druid and ranger and everyone else does, and recent history and all that kind of thing. But really, that seems like missing the point for Dungeon World.

But how far is too far? As a player, would you feel stifled if a setting had basic guidelines for what magic "is" in the setting? Or a list of commonly-worshiped gods (with the caveat that you can always make up a new one) and a note that nobody knows for sure if the gods are real? A general tech level statement, even if it's just an example of "here's how airship engines work in this setting, you can extrapolate from here for other tech?"

Or am I missing the point if we don't just go in with a blank slate?

A lot of it is gonna hinge on what your players want to do. Some groups love asking questions and adding their own ideas to a setting, others prefer to explore a concept that's already laid out.

I've found a good way to have a happy medium is to do all that setting work that you're fond of, but don't present it to your players up front. Weave bits of it into your descriptions as you go, give the information as its relevant. That way, if your players come up with something cool that they want to use, they won't feel like they're overriding some aspect of the world that was already "set".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've been kicking around an idea in the back of my brain for a couple days now and just wanted to see if anyone more experienced with Dungeon World than I am could think of a reason I shouldn't waste my time. I've been trying for a while now to come up with a good RP system for Super Sentai or other Tokusatsu games. I suddenly had the idea of making TokuWorld. Make some playbooks for the various archetypes on a standard sentai team "The Red; leader, fire based powers, frontman, etc" "The Blue; calm and collected, second-in-command, tactical thinker" and so forth. Does this have any promise to it?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My gaming group doesn't tend to play Dungeon World as an extended campaign, rather we just run various one-shots with all new characters and we trade off GMing roles. As such, I'm getting a little tired of always printing off new playbooks all the time and was trying to come up with a way to make them reusable. Does anyone have any experience with using dry/wet erase markers on a laminated sheet? It sounds like it would be an awesome and cheap way to do it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Supreme Court posted:

You could use stickers and post-it notes, given the DW playsheets don't actually need that much info on them! I'm specifically making space in the third page of my classes to write stuff down; I'll release a generic blank page you could use to keep track of info and just reprint that one page instead of the whole booklet. I'll try and put together a low-ink version too, to save on printer ink!

Pirate World has some bloody awesome news, I'll tell you guys later tonight :)

Hey cool. I'd love to see a generic sheet for stuff like Bonds and alignment choices. I could run off all the playbooks on nice sturdy card stock or just have them laminated and then have a whole little pile of "write your specific poo poo here" sheets.

Also, can't wait for more Pirate news!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Teonis posted:

I am a backer for some of these books, but will Inverse/Grim/Pirate World ever be available in online or brick-and-mortar stores; physical or otherwise? I am not able to afford the Physical Tier on any of the kick starters, but I want the books. Right now I've only backed enough to get the playbooks. I love reading all the new DW content, I'm just broke...

If I recall correctly, Grim World had a short window of post-Kickstarter preorders for physical books that ended shortly after halloween, but that was it. Can't speak for the other two.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Oh yeah, turns out Mounted Combat is out too. Surprise! (Get it in the IW bundle, it's a swell deal.)

I had just as much fun reading the quotes in the margins as I did reading the actual supplement. Good job on this one!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm possibly going to be running a game of dungeon world tonight for a group who's primarily been playing 4e D&D. This'll be my first time not playing in a group that hasn't had some exposure to the game before, any tips? Or should I just make sure to stress that the fiction is how they want it, not what's in the sourcebooks?

Rulebook Heavily posted:

For people interested in Mounted Combat, is there any interest for a Print on Demand edition? I was going to release the full text of the supplement on it paying for itself for free online and only then do the PoD thing, but that seems too far off now. Interest has actually been pretty low altogether with almost no discussion or word by mouth that I've seen, so I thought I'd gauge some reactions.

(If you want to look at it before deciding anything the PbP recruit for it that was linked earlier in the thread has the doc in the OP.)

I'd be casually interested. RPGs are about the only thing left that I prefer in dead-tree format (mostly due to all the back and forth flipping that comes with them) so having a hard copy of mounted combat would be great.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sade posted:

I reread the first session section of the GMing chapter anytime I'm about to start a new DW game, especially if I am running it for people who haven't played it before. 4e to DW isn't too difficult a transition; remember to drop them into a dangerous situation at the start instead of being like "you are at an inn" or something, have a vague idea of what you want to do but leave room for the players to elaborate on the setting, and never just let them be like "I hack and slash the goblin." Let "cool, what do you do?" be your mantra.

Sounds like a plan. I've only been playing with these guys for a few weeks, but they all seem like they'll be down with having narrative input in the game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well, the game I ran tonight went very well! Since everyone playing was a fairly experienced RPer, I went ahead and just printed out all the playbooks for Dungeon World, Inverse World, and Grim World, tossed them all on the table and said "You guys pick ones that look interesting while I do a tiny bit of prep here". Interestingly enough, all 3 players went with Inverse World choices.

I had a little trouble with one player looking down at the Basic move list and saying things like "Hmmm, I should defy danger...but I need to do it with my +2 INT." He got the hint when I said "no no, tell me what your character DOES, and then we'll interpret that into a move"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone made a Toku-protagonist playbook? I would think something based off Kamen Rider would probably work better than Super Sentai, but I'd love to have a spandex-clad hero of some kind pop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Babe Magnet posted:

I was thinking about doing a podcast for the games I run but I think we swear at each other too much.

iTunes has an explicit tag for Podcasts