Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
So I've just finished running the second session of what is turning out to be an incredibly fun Dungeon World campaign. Thus far I've run both sessions with literally zero prep and have got fantastic stories out of both, mostly by working with the players and having really awesome solutions and flavours to relatively generic situations. I'm going to have to start writing up fronts and grim portents and things because I think we've managed to uncover a plot by another adventurer to steal a wizard's artifact.

I have a fair few people playing fan-made classes and they're working out absolutely brilliantly. I can fully endorse the Gladiator as the player who's playing him is very much a 'kill all sons of bitches' type of player and the Gladiator seems purpose designed to be a maximum risk, maximum damage, minimum safety sort of class. He's been having a ton of fun mincing people with the Impaler and spending Arsenal left and right to go "nah, I kill that motherfucker, I've got some spare spring knives here somewhere". I need to buy the Dashing Hero as my player is close to levelling up and I need a full advance list. He had a great time doing ridiculous theatrics on his horse in a swamp and pulling people in and out of danger. I think his crowning moment was pulling the plate armoured Paladin into a tree, then backflipping back onto the horse he'd just jumped off just in time to see the Paladin fall into the water as the branch he was standing on broke under the weight. Also, can you hurry up and finish Inverse World? I've got someone playing a Lantern and they really want to see the rest of the advances. The Lantern was really awesome as a class. The girl who's playing it is normally quite defensive and passive and started out using her powers mostly to shield herself but then got more confident and started putting herself in danger to shield others and starting to laser bad guys instead. We decided early on that the Paladin also followed the Sun God the Lantern was patroned by, and I like to think she was following his example because he spent the entire time valiantly defending the rest of the party with his shield.

It was such a good feeling as a guy - who is a hardcore DnD player - left my house going "That system is loving awesome, I love it." and when someone else said "It's like DnD except you go 'right, I'm being hosed here, how do I get out of this?' rather than just rolling parry or whatever"

So yeah, a fantastic bunch of players, an awesome session, very little stress having to remember rules or look things up - I only occasionally had to glance at the Basic Rules, the equipment list or ask to see someone's sheet to see what one of their moves did - so no paging through massive rulebooks; and all without any prep on my part. Dungeon World is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I'm going to show that Improved Bard to my Bard player and ask what she thinks. I like it, and I'm totally up for her using it if she prefers. I'd be interested to see this Improved Thief, I couldn't find it on the Dungeon World G+ group. I'm actually sorta disappointed that nobody is playing a Fighter. The Fighter's blurb description is the most :black101: of them all and especially with Improved Fighter 2.0 has access to some really awesome moves.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

gnome7 posted:

Aw man, I am super happy to hear that, especially about The Lantern and Dashing Hero! They have been a blast to write, and I am glad they have been playing well, too. Unfortunately, Inverse World will still be a bit with production things, BUT the playbooks are mostly done, and The Lantern specifically is entirely done. Since yesterday's Inverse World preview is super late for Reasons, and also I don't want to hold up your campaign with something as stupid as "production schedules," have a first look at The Lantern! All advances included.

Personal request: Please do not share this outside of this subforum for the moment.

Oh, wow! Thanks! Looks like I've got some stuff to show my Lantern player :D - some of those advances look loving awesome.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

gnome7 posted:

Finally time for this week's Inverse World preview! This week in Inverse World Technology, we're sharing The Walker with you. Spoilers: It is the best class yet. Parkour and ninja wall walking is the name of the game.

So can I just preorder Inverse World now, or what?

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

PublicOpinion posted:

Looking at the Shaman, it would sort of work, but it'd need to be rejiggered to focus on the Shadows instead of ghosts, and so would sort of overlap with a reskinned Druid. My idea for the Tower and related cosmologies is that the souls of the dead very quickly get consumed by the world unless you make specific ritual preparations before the person actually dies--this was actually the basis for my Monster Ecology things, which mostly all have "Dead person gets eaten by world -> to protect itself, the world spits out the bad parts of their soul as a monster" theme.

And "several seconds" does sound like a better timeframe; I went with "a minute" since "a moment" seemed to short.

How about "a dangerously long moment" - it makes it much more apparent that you're going to be going "aaaaahhhhh gently caress, come on, clear already" while bullets whiz around you.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I was idly thinking of a Solid Snake class and I vaguely came up with something I call The Operative. I'm not sure it has enough oomph to be a full class but it could be an interesting compendium maybe.

Key Ideas:
You don't need to consume rations, but if you do, you heal 1d4 HP (in MGS, food heals)
You only start the game with halfling pipeleaf
Its core move would be called something like How Useful and would be about finding useful items in the field
In the spirit of CQC, the Operative wouldn't need weapons to Hack and Slash and would have Initiate-like disarms, throws, arm locks etc
The Operative would be really good at sneaking.

Some ideas for moves I came up with.

How Useful
When you need a useful mundane item in the field roll +WIS. On a 10+ how convenient, you find one nearby. On a 7-9 there's a complication. It's in a locked box, somebody's guarding it, it's not quite what you wanted, you'll have to take a risk to nab it. On a miss, an enemy's got it and might use it against you.

Tactical Espionage
You are a master of stealth, you can remain unseen and unheard when you want to. Mundane sneaking is no problem for you. When you want to sneak somewhere that nobody should be able to roll +WIS. On a 10+ you're there, and nobody's the wiser. On a 7-9 you have a choice, you're caught out in the open but currently unseen or you made it where you wanted to go but you've aroused suspicion. On a miss, the alarm's been raised.

Close Quarters Combat
You are extremely well trained in unarmed combat and your body is a weapon with the Hand and Silent tags. In lieu of attempting lethal takedowns with Hack and Slash, you may roll +STR to attempt Close Quarters Combat maneuvers. On a 10+ pick two, on a 7-9 pick one, on a miss, the enemy turns your move back on you.
- You have the enemy in a joint lock, they are unable to move without extreme pain
- You have disarmed them
- With a quick throw or trip, you have rendered your enemy prone
- You avoided taking a blow in the process

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I had the pleasure of playing the Cultist in last night's DW game and can confirm that it is The Best Class(TM). He does seem to be a walking derailroad though, what with the ability to summon up Cthulhu, or Imhotep, make mobs unite and fight for you and do all manner of unspeakable things with dark rituals. I was playing a Horror and had an amazing time roleplaying that my human skin disguise was really poo poo and tentacles and stuff would slip out whenever I laughed or anything (which was a lot - you gotta cackle maniacally in this line of work) I alternated between getting people fired from the inn we were staying at so that I could sacrifice them, proselytizing to the masses and starting small riots (often aimed at me), explaining the dark truth to shopkeepers so I could calmly take items without paying while they wailed and tore their hair out and sniping at the party Fae who was pretty drat sure I wasn't human.

It was a blast. I can thoroughly recommend the Cultist. The Fae owns bones too, the guy playing it was definitely having fun racking up boons by causing magical mayhem.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Dirty Job posted:

What do you guys think of the goon-made Dark Sun Gladiator's ability to spend an arsenal and automatically set his damage to max? I'm beginning to think I should house rule it, considering he keeps routinely one-shotting npcs.

I've noticed it does seem to be reaaally good. The Gladiator in my game has literally never used arsenal for anything else, which leads me to believe it's strictly the best option. I like the b[2d10] houserule though.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Bigup DJ posted:

So I was talking to one of my players the other day and he raised a good point about the +messy tag: all weapons are 'messy'. What exactly can a weapon with the +messy tag do that one without it can't? If a weapon is "particularly messy", it should be clear in the fiction - bone-crunching teeth, barbed horns, white-hot flame. As is, I think the +messy tag inhibits the fiction.

I've always treated messy as "fictionally it does a lot more than just cut you" like it does brutal, bone cracking, armour shattering blows. It peels off armour plates, snaps swords, cracks bones. My players love getting messy and forceful because forceful is "he goes flying away, probably into something. You can stamp on his head now if you want" and messy is "nevermind the damage, each blow fucks them up really good"

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I forget who it was who originally wrote The Meteor, Lichadore Supreme but I actually got to use him! I had a ridiculous amount of fun and the players loved it, even though the Lantern resolutely stayed out of the fight and the Thief spent more time trying to wrestle the microphone away from the commentator. The strength draining effect made my Golem player very sad, but it did force him to try other things than "just tackle the fucker" - the fact that a) the Golem cannot be moved if he does not want to be and b) if the Golem gets you in a pin, you cannot get out of it meant that the fight was a little more frantic than I'd originally envisioned. There were plenty of uses of Tensor's Floating Disc to get the Meteor off the mat so the 3-count didn't count, a bunch more mook lichadores showing up to call out the rest of the party and cause mayhem, a large pile of furniture and miscellaneous weapons for the rest of the party to throw in the ring, that sort of thing. There was a lovely moment where the party was ganging up on Meteor so he threw the Dragon Mage into the audience. The Dragon Mage activated his wings and flew back in. The commentator was like "I'm not sure if that's legal or not but it was definitely impressive enough that I'm not gonna check the rulebook!"

The Golem managed to pin Meteor for the 3-count in the end, even though he was on 0 strength. Meteor graciously gave him the title belt and said that he had better come back to defend it next year. The belt gives +1 to any attempts to nonlethally pin an opponent because I am bad at thinking up magic items (any better ideas?). In addition, the Golem requested that Meteor teach him his signature move, Cage of Force (a big ol' bear hug). He did, suitably impressed by the Golem. We now have an otherwise emotionless golem who pretty much channels the Meteor in any fight. "CAAAAAAAGE OF FOOOOORRRRCCEE!! is rapidly becoming a catchphrase in my group.

Some comments on some custom playbooks:

The City Thief is way better than the regular thief but I am straight up not a fan of Avoid the Light. It's a very faithful recreation of what happens in Thief but I don't like that it makes the Thief uncatchable without a roll. Particularly that you vanish and become uncatchable once you get more than a couple of feet away from them. I mean, yes, enemies might have darkvision or be carrying a light source, but I feel it's too strong for it's intended purpose.

On a similar note, the Walker is absolutely crazy once you get Spider's Leap. Death from Above is incredibly powerful (an insta knock enemy unconscious move is too powerful without a caveat that it only works on mooks) but once you gain the ability to just do it all the time, every time, the Walker stops using Hack and Slash and just kidnaps and knocks people unconscious all the time. Or, if he doesn't want to do that, it's just a way of making sure every single attack triggers Brutal Strike. Additionally, while Nobody Looks Up is very nice, the Hidden Cities background really needs the "if you're above their line of sight clause" because the way it's written our Walker got to use it in a six-foot tunnel and was invisible to somebody directly in front of him.

The Survivor needs a rethink because Survive and Dead Man Walking has a high chance of making you indestructible, as far as I can tell. Get into combat, take arbitrarily high amounts of damage - let's say hundreds - which you soak as Pain. Combat finishes, you brace for the wave of pain to hit, get 7-9 on Survive and take a debility. Like, I get that not dying is the survivor's gimmick but the way those two moves pan out they might as well read "Become invincible for 6 combats without healing"

For the Golem, we had the slightly unusual experience that it seems like Immovable Object actually means that the Golem has a magic intertial dampener. I am not sure if this is intentional or whether Immovable Object is supposed to represent the Golem planting his feet and refusing to budge, but basically I feel that when a giant tentacle monster wraps a tentacle round your waist and lifts you, Immovable Object shouldn't happen. I feel like the trigger should read something like "When you plant your feet and brace against an incoming attack" rather than simply when an enemy tries to move you.

Don't get me wrong, I love these playbooks, but there's these slight oddities in wording here and there that I'm not sure are intentional. There's nothing that won't be fixed with a sanity clause or a rewording and (with the possible exception of Spider's Leap and Dead Man Walking) these are all really cool moves.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Overemotional Robot posted:

Also remember that fiction comes first. If the tentacles would lift the Golem off the ground, it happens.

If, narratively, you're in a six foot tunnel in front of a guy and they would see him, then they see him.

All you have to do is just say the move doesn't trigger because ~reason~

Obviously you want to be fair about this and you shouldn't find a reason for it to happen all the time. I would also suggest letting the players know before they try to trigger the move, "the tentacles are so big on this thing that there's no way you're keeping your feet on the ground. What do you do?"

This is a particular argument I have with a friend of mine. From my perspective, yeah, fiction comes first and no, motherfucker, you're directly in front of that guy's face it doesn't matter that you're standing upside down on the ceiling of course he can see you. From my friend's point of view, the whole point of *World is that fiction comes first until it hits the rules. As the book says, the rules are only there to interject when something they cover happens in the conversation. If you're going to ignore the rules, you're not playing the game. So when the rules say that yep, I'm invisible if I'm standing on the ceiling then by god that's what happens. I do actually sort of agree with him. If you're going to start adjudicating when and when not to apply the moves based on something other than when the rules say you should, you are very clearly missing the point. To do it, do it. The problem is when the trigger doesn't match what the fiction says should really be happening.

To come up with a vague example, imagine a 6-10 move for the Fighter called Counterattack that reads "When an enemy does damage to you, you may do your class damage to them." which thematically represents you getting a counterattack in. It's a really poo poo move, but bear with me. Let's say that a naked unarmed Fighter with this move is shot from 500 metres away by a bowman. By the rules as written, he may now do his class damage to that bowman. Nevermind that he can't do anything to him, that's what the rules say.
The solution to this problem would be to change the trigger of the move to read "When an enemy does damage to you and you respond with a swift counterattack". Now the move does what it is supposed to do without the weird edge cases.

Arguably I'm completely missing the point of Dungeon World, and maybe I am, but I feel like the triggers for moves should be very carefully worded indeed - particularly if you do not want a move to be treated like a magic spell, they should always be triggered by the character doing something in the fiction rather than as a reaction to something happening to them. In most cases, I'd consider a move like the Golem's Immovable Object to be poorly worded simply because the trigger doesn't start with "When you..."

tl;dr It would be nice if you didn't have to adjudicate whether the situation "counts" when the rules say a move triggers.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Bigup DJ posted:

Edit: The other Pirate World backgrounds don't really have an 'Advancement Move' - all they say is that you gain your background moves "as appropriate" - but I think you could implement them without constraining the fiction. You could even get rid of XP altogether and have Advancement Moves for playbooks! Something like this: "The Fighter: When you triumph over a hated foe in single combat, level up." You could even have Advancement Moves for individual moves if you really wanted, but that would be a bit fiddly. Basically you'd just take Drive-Alignment moves and tweak them so they happen less often. Some examples:

• "When everyone's relying on you to succeed, level up."
• "When you con everyone and get away scot-free, level up."
• "When you bargain away another piece of your soul, level up."
• "When you bring peace and prosperity to a community, level up."

Rogue Trader Apocalypse has an advancement mechanic similar to this where every playbook has their Keys which when fulfilled, everyone gets xp and you get +1 forward. At the end of the session you erase any checked off keys and write new ones. It's 5 xp to level up.
Examples:

Arch-Militant:
- Defeat a mighty adversary
- Fight alongside a new ally
- Celebrate a glorious victory
- Wield a new, dangerous weapon
- Stand strong in defense of another.

Archivist:
- Explore a forgotten tomb-world
- Capture an exotic specimen alive
- Acquire an ancient relic
- Take action against a thief
- Prevent something valuable from being destroyed

It's a nice system. I'm thinking of doing something similar for my PBtA hack.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

gnome7 posted:

:argh: Those jerks show me up at every opportunity, don't they? How dare they have so much talent and such a great and dependable artist! :argh:

Inverse World PDF draft is going out Monday. This is not up for further delay, it is a fact.

( If it is not clear, I do not dislike the Grim World folks at all, I am just frustrated at myself )

You gotta be kidding me.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
For the Shapeshifting thing, you could steal heavily from Blood and Smoke's "turn into animals" power but make it, mechanically, very similar to the Druid's shapeshift.

When you warp your own flesh to take the form of an animal you have consumed roll +Wis. On a 10+ gain 3 hold, on a 7-9 gain 2 hold on a 6- gain 1 hold anyway but when you spend it, there is a complication stemming from your animal instincts. To gain an animal form you must have consumed the beast — killing it by feeding from it. You can only take on the form of predatory animals, carrion-eaters, plague-carrying beasts, and parasites. You may 'store' up to 3 forms but only one can be active at once. You must slumber for a full day to change which animal form you have.

When you transform, the MC will give you some new moves based on what animal you transform into. Spend your hold 1-for-1 to activate these moves - no roll is necessary, they just happen.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
As a caveat I've actually never been in a game with a Druid in it so I have somewhat limited input here. What I do know is that the Druid's Shapeshifter move is probably the most polarising move in the core playbooks in that there are tons of people going "I legit do not get how this move works - there's so much work involved and I do not know why it was made like this" and tons of people saying that once you get it, it's one of the coolest and most thematic moves the core playbooks have. From some of the explanations in this thread, it seems like once the MC "gets" it, he can really help to differentiate between different animal forms by giving them all cool moves to activate.

As far as I can tell, the Shapeshift move is there to give the Druid a store of cool magical powers which he can change up a bit beforehand - although exactly what he gets is up to the MC. It's Vancian Magic that trades precision for flexibility. You're not 100% sure what you'll get, but you can always just change shape to get a new loadout. What exactly is it you want the Shapeshift move to do? Because there are probably a dozen different, equally viable, ways to model "changes shape into an animal". Just off the top of my head, you could simply model it as a "you are a different size and look like an animal and can move like an animal". You could give armor and bonus damage. You could make them pick from a list of modifications, like armor or claws or poison. You could do it like the Druid and dump some of the work on the MC for added flexibility.

The main thing to work out is what do you want the Vampire to be doing with his animal forms?

On another note, if you're worried that having multiple sources of hold could be too complex, I'd be careful about making having a pool of Blood a core thing then - a bunch of moves give you persistent hold.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

gnome7 posted:

So today I was productive, and I finished the Winter and Dragon Mage playbooks. You can check out a preview of the finished playbooks here.

I am trying out a different method of making my previews. Hopefully it's even more maddening than just seeing the move titles was. As soon as I finish the cover art I am working on, I'll post these for sale on DTRPG.

Thoughts and questions:

Dragon Mage:

- The Hardened Scales draconic transformation gives you 2 Armor and +2 Armor vs fire. Is it intentional that if you're wearing Full Plate or other sources of 3 armor, you get no additional normal armor? Because that's how it should be, and it should possibly be specified.

- I'm not sure I like Rags to Riches. It's really fun but it does sort of defeat the entire point of the weight management rules - a large part of any dungeon crawl - by letting you bypass any thinking about weight and value. Additionally, "full market value" does open up some exploits with banker's drafts and so on. I've been running it as material value and that seems a lot safer.

- For the Death Move I feel like the trigger for when your draconic form collapses should be "when all your enemies lie dead before you". Otherwise you could hang around as a dragon for quite some time.

Winter Mage:

- 2x as much health seems powerful. Particularly if you can wear armor and stack it with some other bullshit defense powers. If I were you, I'd remove the Winter Mage's ability to multiclass. Some of the Survivor, Paladin, Templar and other classes based around "not dying" moves would be ludicrous with this. Lovely mechanic, though.

- Winter Wonderland needs a serious reword. Any structure? Specificially specifying that you can make Castles instantly? Yeah, wow, no way. There needs to be some serious size and complexity restrictions on this. Even with that restriction, 1-Chill to finish instantly is pretty much not a restriction at all; could be an idea to make finishing instantly a roll with a chance of problems. Or a pick from a list thing, for what you're willing to risk to finish quickly. Even with all that, I've never been a fan of moves that let you completely bypass any challenges based around difficult terrain. If the Winter Mage can just bridge any gap, make a staircase up to any height or down any chasm, that kinda severely reduces the number of challenges I can throw at my players that aren't "The Winter Mage spends a Chill".

- Cold-Hearted: Thematically very nice, mechanically I'm not sure I like it. It's very dicks.

- The Gear choices are awesome. More of this and less "12 gold and some adventuring gear" please, playbook authors.

- I really do not like this Death Move at all. I get the Koschei the Deathless vibe you're going for, but the move really doesn't work like this. Say your Winter Mage dies, reveals he has removed his heart and hidden it half a world away trapped inside a glacier. Now, the Winter Mage's continued survival is literally up to GM fiat. Either he never dies, and can jug on out forever or he can literally die at any moment because the GM said that an enemy found his heart and destroyed it. It takes the character's survival right out of his hands. The third option, that he receives word somebody is looking for his heart, would be a nice plot hook but could totally derail a game, which is not what a Death Move is supposed to do. If there was a requirement that the heart had to remain within a hundred metres of him or he died, so that he has his heart in a box and there's a lot of juggling the box and trying to keep it safe in combat that could be cool, but mainly I feel like Death Moves should be more of a "get to crack off an apocalyptically powerful move just once" than what this is.

- Permafrost could use a "specify one thing that you know for certain does melt your ice" clause. Or some sort of "this is not Dragonfire-proof" only-under-normal-conditions clause. Otherwise, indestructo-armor forever!

Wow, that seemed like a lot of complaining. I will specify that there's a lot of stuff in both playbooks that look extremely fun and that a couple of my players tried an earlier preview of Dragon Mage and loved it. It's just that Winter Mage in particular had a lot of eyebrow raising stuff even from an initial readthrough. These really need more playtesting and sanity checking before going up on DTRPG I think.
Also the power creep in third party playbooks is getting kinda crazy now. I'm somebody who likes playing the Fighter because having a big loving sword and being a murderhobo is cool, but things like someone else having 4 armor and nearly 2x my health from character gen is crazy. And the Dragon Mage's flying, counterspelling, scale armor and 3-piercing clawsing, fire breathing self does show me up a bit as well.

Like I say, I'm trying not to be all negativity. These are exceptionally cool playbook ideas and I will definitely buy the bundle once all the Mages are out (and probably run a Wizard Academy game) but honestly they don't feel ready for release.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
If your players are willing to make stuff up that sounds like a great start. My group does a lot of one-shots so I'm a big fan of starting in media res so we don't have to go through the rigmarole of getting the party together and doing intro meet n greet stuff all the time. My last session was Inverse World and I started the party off on a maintenance platform underneath a giant chain between two island cities in the fog. I told them the plan was to get on board an airship, the Praestantia. Then I asked the Captain if this was his plan or if someone had put him up to it. He said that the city authorities had Shanghai'd him into making sure that the Praestantia never docked on the island. His ship was an opulent merchant ship and he didn't want to risk it in open combat against a ship of unknown capabilities just because somebody ordered him to. Hence the "jump onto it from above as it passes over" plan. I asked the party how they got through the border fort and onto the chain in the first place. Turns out the Captain and his crew are actually relatively well respected in the city and the guards happily just let them through. When I asked them who they most didn't want to catch them doing this, they mentioned a rival ship of theirs. When I asked them how they expected to be able to time the jump, one of them had a mechanical watch.

I'm slowly deciding that I like to skip all the less interesting planning and prelude parts of Dungeon World capers, start at the most entertaining bit and just ask how they managed to do the preamble. You get really weird answers sometimes that make things more interesting.

Also, best failed Spout Lore of the session led to me saying "Unfortunately Sky Barnacles aren't that fond of rum."

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Actually, you don't get to Last Breath if your body is pulped, disintegrated, sucked into Hell, etc. Any form of damage from which you couldn't reasonably recover doesn't let you roll LB.

I thought the fluff for Last Breath was that you were actually outwitting Death himself, so no matter how hosed up your body is when Death can't take you, turns out it wasn't that bad.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'm curious if anyone has worked on a 40k hack for Dungeon World or anything close to that. Last time I attempted with my group to learn any of the Fantasy Flight 40k stuff, we were put off by the poor design of the manual, and I thought, "What if the mechanics were the least important part of the game?"

Rogue Trader Apocalypse

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
When my players pick weapons with Hand, I straight up tell them that fighting people with Close or Reach is gonna be quite difficult, but those guys are loving dead if you can get under their guard. Generally this is something like a Defy Danger STR, CON or DEX to get under their guard depending on how they do it, and then just deal damage because you're half a foot away from the guy stabbing him the gently caress up with a shiv while his long spear is no good. For particularly badass enemies you still have to Hack and Slash because they'll dance away, start punching you or pull a shortsword. Having a weapon you can conceal on your person and that isn't a big, bulky thing that can get stuck on things is straight-up useful in a bunch of places as well. It's the tradeoff for needing to close to attack.

Vice versa if the players pick a Reach weapon. Enjoy your ability to Hack and Slash without fear of trading harm for harm on a 7-9 if the enemy have Hand or Close weapons and you're keeping them at bay. If they get in close, drop your weapon or you're loving dead.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Mimir posted:

What was that Apocalypse World class where you played as the gestalt hivemind with a race of "drones" that you could send out?

Macaluso. I wanted to kitbash that into the Cultist to play a sort of Cthuloid hivemind cult.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

gnome7 posted:

The Mage Bundle is finally live! Sorry for the wait.

What happened to the Horizon mage? I was looking forward to Gandalf.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I was thinking about the Core classes and how they do work really, really well for what they're intended - which is OD&D dungeon crawls, which not everybody likes or plays. Would it be worth an attempt to "3.5ify" the core classes to make them work better for Eberron style sweeping adventures and generally up power them across the board? I tend to find that if I offer every playbook I own, the Grim World and Inverse World ones along with things like the Mage and the Dashing Hero tend to overshadow any core class, because they're meant to be larger-than-life heroes while the cores are meant to be dungeon robbers.

As a vague concept:

Fighter: Change it from "guy with quite good sword" to "guy with a motherfucking Excalibur" who either is the charismatic leader of men with a fort and a small army or the baddest Ronin-type you've ever seen.

Thief: More like the City Thief or Assassin. Has a den of thieves, black market connections, the ability to source anything and get aid in unlikely places. Parkour, better stealth, better gadgets.

Ranger: Legolas or Aragorn, straight out. Sniping people with a bow, identifying monsters perfectly and Spouting Lore about their weaknesses, doing the Wingfoot thing where you can push your party to take a Perilous Journey at a sprint. Is either stupidly well travelled or has some loose organisation backing him up.

Druid: Radagast the Brown. More Wizard-like Ritual stuff to do with Ley Lines and places of power. Can talk to plants and animals and command them to do his bidding. Can scry and even teleport around the forests. Has a circle of druids to back him up.

Bard: Either a Skald or a more Dashing Hero style duellist. Sonic based attacks and support magic, illusions, swordplay, a bunch of social moves. Gets lodging, preferential treatment, opportunities and pay just for being himself.

Wizard: Gandalf. Switch away from Vancian casting to a more mana based one. When you run dry on mana you can either burn spells for mana, scour yourself or the environment, drink elixirs or deal with other alchemical ingredients. Rather than a spell list, has the Ritual move, a "shooting people in the head with magic" move and a "create your own spell from these effects" move, which you add to as you level up. Make a big distinction between cantrips which don't cost mana and spells which do.

Cleric: Righteous crusader of the gods. Either has a whole religion or a cult backing him up or is the lone crusader of a forgotten god. Miracles and deity-assisted beatdowns as well as more Inquisitorial or Cultist-like stuff. Think Hocus from ApocWorld. Some sort of "favor of the gods" hold mechanic rather than Vancian.

Paladin: Taking a Liesmith lesson here and having Paladin be an Arthurian Knight thing. Either a lone champion of a cause or of a god or you have some patron - church or king - backing you up. More of a defensive fighter than the Fighter, who is about wrecking things, the Paladin is about inspiring the people and inspiring terror in enemies. Access to miracles - either from a god or from some other source.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

Sorry if it was unclear. I meant something like "your nice 10+ result is like your buddy's 7-9 while your 7-9... Well, it still partially worked, but there's still some small extra catch to make it slightly worse than your buddy's 7-9". It being some extra cost or whatever also makes the passive moves somewhat scale with the roll.

You get your buddy's 7-9 but the GM also makes a move? Or the classic 'you are put in a spot'?

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I still feel like crutching on "fiction comes first" excuses some sloppy mechanics in many of the playbooks that lead to the rules saying that a retarded situation should be happening when sensibility and the fiction says otherwise. A good case can be made that since the rules are literally just there to call the shots when the fiction doesn't tell you what happens, they should be ignored very rarely and only with a really good excuse.

As much as I like them, the Inverse World classes are some of the worst for this and if I'm not running a gonzo game I ask people not to use them. Playbooks like the Survivor, Golem and Walker are literal superheroes and having them in a party with a corebook class is a recipe for sadness. I'm very tempted to write up an effortpost about the IW classes and ask gnome7 if he's sure some of it is supposed to say what it does - but it would be difficult without sounding like a whiny whiner.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Hugoon Chavez posted:

edit: is there a Darkness world out there already?

Urban Shadows. It was so much "WoD World" that I believe someone modified the playbooks to be literally Requiem vamps, Awakening mages and Forsaken werewolves and stuff. It looks pretty good, but I haven't had a chance to run it yet. It's got an inbuilt "you go evil" mechanic as well, for all your world of darkness needs.

Or if you're running Hunter, just play Monster of the Week. It's literally Hunter.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I'll be completely honest, a brief skim led me to believe that an actual Tarot deck was required. Which is fine by me, I've got a few lying around the place. It seemed a lot cooler to actually be using the Tarot deck out of character.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

gnome7 posted:

And that's 5! I hope all of you can send me feedback.

If you end up doing a second round of playtesting, I'd like to put my name down. I gave my group blueballs when I got in on the second draft AW:Dark Ages playtest which hasn't appeared yet. For background, we've played a shitload of Inverse World, Apocalypse World, Dungeon World and a few other hacks like Shadowfist, RT:A and STASI so if you're looking to see how Fellowship plays with groups new to PBtA, we're probably not it.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
The Grim World playbooks all have some sort of cool mechanical gimmick attached, which are kind of cool and do make them all feel distinct, but I never thought that they were especially well handled. The playbooks don't seem to quite do what I want them to do. For example, the Necromancer can basically only have one zombie out at a time and while admittedly that zombie can become pretty pimp after a few advances, the inability for The Necromancer to have a zombie horde is pretty unforgivable. Also, the Templar gets an ability that knocks back everything within Reach which is Evil. The Templar is allowed to be Evil. The guy playing the Templar when I ran GW used it to send himself flying into second storey windows.

I dunno, it's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but it never really caught me the same way Inverse World did.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Apocalypse World: Dark Age has rather good settlement management rules. It's in playtest now on lumpley.com

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
My cheat is usually either kill a number of scrubs equal to the damage rolled or, if they're fighting opponents worth a drat, they deal full damage to the first one and the second one parries or dodges now that the blade has slowed. If they're using grenades or something then yeah, apply damage to all.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

From my understanding of the system, Dungeon World should work better with fewer players compared to other RPGs. Is that the case? I'm wondering because I might be running a pretty impromptu DW session today that might have only two players. Does anyone have experience with running the game with a low number of players?

I've run DW with only 2 players. I actually mildly prefer it, because it's less for me to keep track of and there's less downtime for the players while I deal with somebody else. They effectively get the spotlight 100% of the time.

It was Inverse World with a Collector and a Mechanic and they stole an awful lot of anti-gravity crystal from somebody else's mining operation.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Probably the best game I was ever in was a Fighter, Barbarian, Initiate, Gladiator and I think a Dragon Mage. Basically we were all bulldozer combat machines and thusly solved all our problems with extreme preemptive violence.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Johnstone Metzger is at it again, this time releasing a point-buy system for DW where you can just buy abilities from any class.

And I mean any class. Johnstone's gone around to get permission to include moves from third party playbooks.

It's, uh...

It's big.

Johnstone Mentzger's crack pipe must be hot to the loving touch

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Could I get someone to give me some clarification on the Jury-Rig move from the Artificer?

'When you quickly fix, repurpose, or fabricate a device on the spot' Does this mean that the character is capable of making the devices themselves and are assumed to have all the needed parts on them? Or do characters need to go hunting for scrap and the like?

Oh, also if I took it as a multi-class move for something without charge as a class mechanic would it still be considered selectable or would I need to modify the move's third option?

Whenever that's come up, I ask the Artificer how he's making that gadget and he's responded "By using the enormous bag of scrap and tools that I obviously have on me" and we've run with it. If they were like naked and in chains, I'd probably tell him he needed to go find some tools and raw material but it's probably safe to assume The Artificer is equipped for gadget building.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

The Supreme Court posted:

Those moves are great! There's also the Grim World necromancer, but I feel it's missing something.

Here's a screenshot of my necromancer compendium class/ Background It uses Pirate World's Hirelings mechanics, which also include controllable zombies (Hungry Dead) and skeletons (Long Dead). If you like the sound of it, I can post up the Hireling Rules when I'm not on mobile.

Considering that's from Pirate World, an advanced move that changes the trigger to "When you call the dead from the cold earth or cold ocean" could be cool and flavourful.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Arashiofordo3 posted:

So then if I took 'Jury-Rig', I would also get the 'Gadget Belt' move as well as that is where the charge mechanic comes from? Wow, two for the price of one. I like it. Though if I'm completely getting that wrong someone feel free to correct me.

There's a note at the bottom of the Artificer that specifically says you get Gadget Belt with 1 Gadget if you take Field Test, so I would say that no, you don't get Gadget Belt as well if you take Jury Rig and since you have no Charge to give you can never take that option unless you later take Field Test or Gadget Belt.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
In the game I'm running at the moment, I've gone out of my way to let my players know that sometimes I am determinedly trying to kill them, particularly during boss fights or such. It's a fine line to both 'be a fan of the characters' and 'think dangerously' and I find I tend to stray more towards being a fan and not making things dangerous enough. Every now and again, shaking things up by having them come across something waaaay dangerous and they have to scramble to survive has given me some very positive feedback. The Dwarf also got something cool from his brush with Death and now the Orc is determined to die in combat and negotiate with Death as well.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

ScaerCroe posted:

I am a complete noob to pen and paper RPGs, as are my friends, but we are thinking of trying one out. Lots of Google Searches to the effect of "Best Beginner RPGs" have turned up Dungeon World, D&D 5th, and Dragon Age. My group is not the type of player to sit down for 12 hours at a time, but rather a group that might have fun for 4 hours or so on a Saturday. Would DW be the game for us?

Do you enjoy the idea of making characters inside of ten minutes, having lots of player input into the world, the plot and what's going on around them and rules-light, heavy on improvisation funtimes? If so, Dungeon World is probably the game for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

This might be the wrong thread to ask, but are there any good fantasy games in the Dungeon World genre that are less beholden to D&D tropes?

Inverse World, Pirate World and Grim World are all settings for Dungeon World that do their best to shed D&D tropes. I haven't played any Grim World or Pirate World, but have both played and run quite a bit of Inverse World and it is really good, with a heavy emphasis on exploring the world and investigating cool things rather than killing monsters and getting phat loot. I'm currently playtesting Fellowship for Gnome and can confirm that it is loving awesome and a very different feel to D&D.

Dark Ages is more of a medieval fantasy Viking simulator than a straight fantasy D&D-alike, for better or for worse. There's a heavy emphasis on settlement management, societies, law and relationships (not necessarily romantic - hating someone's guts is still a relationship) between NPCs, PCs and other PCs. Combat is loving brutal and if you don't get healed before the seasons turn, damage is permanent. Magic is freeform and extremely cool. There's meant to be a lot of time passing in your game, and you and your family/warband/blood brothers/community can do downtime actions. It's really cool and very different.

Doodmons fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 16, 2014