Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Regarding the move Holy Fury, what's the Divine Guidance cleric move being referred to? I didn't see that one when I looked, though I could just be tired.

The "Death" drive seems kinda disproportionately risky compared to the other two, but maybe that's the point.

Other than that, I think it looks really cool. A friend of mine will probably want to give it a look when his metamorph hits lvl 10.

Sade posted:

displacer beast.

Regardless of what stat it represents, displacer beasts are cool and you'd be cool for making a playbook for them, Prokosch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

GimpInBlack posted:

It's quite possible I hosed up the name.

Nah you right, just derped and didn't see it.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Looselybased posted:

Are there any good classes/moves that would give a PC a step up in sneaking around? I have a guy who is using "The Survivor" from Inverse World and after playing a few sessions his dude has developed into a pseudo-batman. Looking at the thief class from Dungeon World, it seems to be more about trap detecting and escape. He wants something that would give him a leg up on hiding in the shadows and bursting out and scaring/punching baddies.

Hrm, I've been tinkering with a Ninja variant that can be super sneaky for a game I'm in. Granted I'm likely treading old ground, but I looked at a couple of the Assassins and NinjaDebugger's old WIP Ninja a while back and they didn't really fit with the character I had in mind, so I stripped the Ninja down to the Ninjutsu mechanic and started from there.

It's mostly done but still needs peers to sanity-check it and make sure it's not too strong/weak. I'll put what I've got in a google doc later today when I get home.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Okay, so I've got this Ninja variant I've been tinkering with for a bit for myself and my friends to play and would like some more eyes to PEACH it. Apologies for the formatting, plan on cleaning it up once the build is more final.

Basically, I took NinjaDebugger's Ninja (really liked idea of Ninjutsu resource management) and stripped it down to the Ninjutsu mechanic, then built up the rest based on what I wanted out of a Ninja. I haven't had a chance to mess with it in actual play, so I'm hopeful some of you will know better as to whether or not it's too strong/weak compared to other classes.

The idea is that the class is a glass cannon (base 4 hp, d10 damage +potential bonus), but can go toe-to-toe with things via the Ninja Evasion move. So as long as you have some Ninjutsu, you should be hard to hit, but if you do get hit, it hurts. You need your Ninjutsu for your other abilities too, so my hope is that there are some interesting decision points regarding the timing of attacks & moves. My fear is that Ninjutsu becomes too stressed/pulled in too many directions that it's too difficult to utilize your abilities well.

Some other concerns I have are:

1) Is Level 1 too harsh on the Ninja's survivability?

2) Do the 3 specializations all have appeal? Does something stick out as clearly better/have better support from the advanced moves?

3) Gear. The current set seems okay, but maybe it feels bland/could be spiced up.

4) Mind Over Matter/Go Ninja Go. The first version of MoM assumed the player would be cycling through their Ninjutsu to fuel their moves, but with GNG theoretically they could sit on 6 armor until they roll 6-. Maybe that's okay, since they're betting a lot on not rolling 6-, but it just struck me as something that had abuse potential. MoM v2 might curb this, but then the player might be too conservative with their Ninjutsu just to maintain their 2-3 armor.

Anyway, that's all I got for now, so any feedback y'all got would be appreciated.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Appreciate you taking the time to look through everything, will work on it more/rework it when I get the chance. A lot of what you said is stuff I kinda felt/saw coming but needed to hear from another source; thanks again!

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Question: what do people normally do when they decide to do the Change Class thing at level 11? Do they start leveling as though they were lvl 1 again? Stop leveling? Keep leveling to 12 and beyond? Never done it before and it doesn't really seem as clear as the other two options.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Mr. Prokosch posted:

New Monster Playbook!: Displacer Beast

This looks pcool; will try it out when my ranger hits 11, I love stealth. Sorry I can't offer more criticism, still kinda new to DW so it's hard for me to judge anything without playing around with it. Concealment looks like a better handling of stealth than anything I ever tinkered with though, so I'm pretty psyched.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

Is there a playbook based around having two PCs? You know, the buddy cop shtick. I vaguely remember somebody working on such a thing once upon a time. It may have been named "The Twins".

The Noble sorta has that on the go, don't know if that's what you had in mind though.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Spincut posted:

The Conduit...FF job system
Would really like to see this happen, it's a cool idea.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Maybe just give him a couple multiclass moves? Like, wizard for spells/invisibility and paladin for that +2d4 damage thing (reflavored to something more assassin-y).

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Im slightly more hesitent by the marking experiance move. I could see that being abused quite easily. After all, if you're a genius every mind is a lesser mind.

It's functionally the same as the wizard's "Know-It-All," shouldn't be a big deal. It's not like fast leveling is especially game-breaking anyway.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

Working on a thing. Based off a Boxer, Martial Artist, or any other Sports Fight Man. I like personal, class-specific currencies, and combo systems in games, so that's what the class is based around. Advanced moves, whenever they happen, will be mostly based around helping you gain Combo Points, giving you more stuff to do with your combo points, expanding your Signature Move, and helping you find dudes to punch for money.

Also, punchey guys are my favorite types of fighters.

E: also totally stole the Assassin "Contract Killer" thing because it's neat

I'd set the damage die to at least d8 by default and find something else for Momentum to do, because based on starting moves this guy looks like a worse Fighter. I too am a fan of little resource pools, and this could be something cool, but right now all it has that the default fighter doesn't (mechanically speaking) is Prize Fighting.

Maybe instead of having combo accumulate as you Hack & Slash, you roll to hold Combo when you fight/engage something and spend it to do things. Iunno, my concern with it in the current form is that you might not get to actually Hack & Slash enough in a given combat to use all the moves tied to Combo, or if you do it'd take a while when instead it'd be more fun to just have a bunch of abilities you can chain together on the fly.

In that case, maybe turn Signature Move into the list of things you can roll/spend Combo on, and then Momentum becomes another hold that affects Sig Move. Example: when you succeed on a Signature Move roll, gain 1 Momentum. When you roll Signature Move, add your Momentum to the roll. If you miss a Signature Move roll or are otherwise disrupted, lose all held Momentum.

From here you can have advanced moves that play off of these resource pools, Momentum-based ones making you better the more/longer you fight and Combo-based ones adding to your options when fighting.

Just spitballin', but I do think it needs a bit more otherwise it's strictly worse mechanically than a Fighter who says his weapon is his fists.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
That's some good lookin' stuff Cheap Shot, keep it up.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Radio Talmudist posted:

Out of curiosity, do any of you take D&D settings/adventures and play them in DW? I wonder how that process is like given that the players are so involved in world-building.

We borrow poo poo from wherever. If people want to play in Eberron or whatever using DW it's super easy. And then make up poo poo about it/add to it. Same as what we did with settings when we played D&D. I don't usually end up playing with people who go "Wait, that's now how [setting] is supposed to be!" anyway, 'cause my friends & I don't really give a poo poo.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Harrow posted:

1. Was it a dick move to turn the Fae's success back on her? I knew that if everything happened the way she wanted it to, the whole thing would end right there, and that seemed like way too much power to put into an illusion. So I let the shaman "interpret" it. But she rolled a 12--it should have been a success, even though it ended up as a failure.

Kind of a dick move, yeah. Don't let her invalidate the whole goblin horde/shaman, but it probably should've generated enough confusion in the ranks to give the party some kind of opening (probably to retreat out of the cave, but maybe turn it into a thing where the party is basically in a contest with the shaman over control of the horde). Maybe there are some goblins who want to usurp the shaman and see this as a chance to do so, thanks to the Witch's odd behavior (idk if the whole tribe is in on the ruse or if it's just the shaman's game). Maybe someone notices a side-passage they can duck into and retreat through.

There's lots of outs to this, just needs you or your players to get a little creative.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Handgun Phonics posted:

Is there a better version of the Ranger's Blot out the Sun? Maybe something that gives +area for 1 ammo spent instead of extra individual targets at 1 ammo each? As-is, it's a little expensive for what it does unless you absolutely need to hit exactly two enemies across the room.

The one I like comes from a compendium class:

Adventures on Dungeon Planet posted:

Sharpshooter

When you launch an offensive volley against your foes, you may
expend an ammo to choose one of these options:
  • Area Effect: With a flurry of shots, or one explosive round,
    you deal damage to multiple foes.
  • Called Shot: This attack ignores armour.
  • Concentrated Fire: You deal +1d6 damage.
  • Disarm: You shoot a weapon or other object right out of your
    foe’s hands.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Whybird posted:

This is a terrible idea.

Sounds neat to me. I mean my group is already pretty flexible about multiclassing & compendium class stuff and swapping out moves we don't want/use with ones we do, so this seems kinda interesting at least.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Found what looks to be a playtest version from a year ago; basically has a handful of Archetypes (Warrior, Magician, Rogue, etc.) and specialties in each archetype (so for Rogue, you'd have Assassin, Thief, Poisoner, etc.). Each spec has one or two starting moves tied to it plus a few 2-5 & 6-10; you pick 3 specs and change your stats (damage/hp/load) based on some rules it gives if you grabbed specs from different archetypes.

Idk if linking the pdf would be :filez: but it's the easiest thing to google.

e: beat, but yeah, it looks pcool.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

RSIxidor posted:

You pick an archetype and then a specialty that gives you stuff?
Sounds a bit 5th-ed-dnd-ey to me.

Not quite. In 5e, you pick Rogue and there's a base set of "Rogue" things you get as you level, and then you pick Assassin/Thief/Shittywizard and get things related to those.

The Class Warfare thing uses Rogue as an umbrella term; it gives your damage die, hp, load, gear & such, but this is more like a template (you don't get any moves by default). Then you pick 3 specs which further modify or add to the base template (like raise your damage die) and give you your starting moves, additional gear options, and so on.

Example: You make a Rogue, and pick Assassin, Thief, and Poisoner as your 3 backgrounds/specs/whatever you want to call them. Assassin gives you Backstab, Thief gives you both Tools and Tricks of the Trade, Poisoner gives you...well, Poisoner, plus your poisons. Each of those 3 then has their own small lists of 2-5 and 6-10 moves that together make up your advanced move list.

Honestly it reads like a codified way of saying "just take whatever moves you want" since it's so flexible, at least in the playtest doc. The degree to which you can mix & match different Archetypes is limited a little, but really I can't imagine it being a big deal to bend or ignore parts of these rules.

Really I think it ends up being most useful as a large, organized collection of moves.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Maybe try it as a compendium class that anyone can buy into first if you're mostly concerned about the one move, and see how it plays out. Personally, it sounds really really strong and a creative player could probably break a game over their knee with it.

e: a thought; maybe attach something like Commune + a hold mechanic to the move.

Like, when you spend an hour contemplating the secrets of the universe, hold 3. Then when you use Rewrite reality, spend one hold and roll. That way you have a really strong out to a lot of things, but it can't be used at the drop of a hat.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 2, 2014

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Let the players either come up with a way to reduce/nullify her time powers, or give them access (via a quest or something) to a mcguffin that reduces/nullifies her time powers. Either that or introduce some kind of limit on what she can do/how often she can do it. If you're basing it off the clock mage there's not a lot the party'll be able to do against something that can alternate between stopping time and effectively teleporting around at will (even if she somehow has trouble actually fighting/hurting the party, those abilities make her really tough to pin down/catch), unless there's already something fiction-wise that limits how often she can do that.

Also if the players come up with something clever to play off some character flaw of hers (sounds like she has some issues if she's going around eradicating people from the timeline), go with that, sometimes it's cool to undermine something that should be all-powerful. For a direct confrontation/fight though, probably need to throw them a bone if they don't come up with their own.

Personally I like Tollymain's idea on how to limit her abilites. Make her use of that magic drain her in some way, like she's using her own "time" to fuel these magics and the more she uses the older/more feeble she becomes. Plus it introduces the idea that perhaps she's not just been erasing people, but also stealing their time to regenerate herself/her powers. Yeah, there's a lot you can play with there.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Tollymain posted:

My idea is based less off her using her lifespan to power her magic (though that works just as well) and more that using Time Magic in a straight fight is like using a sledgehammer as a lecturer's pointer :v:

Yeah I was just taking your thing in another direction.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Manofmanusernames posted:

I have a question about turns. I'm gming a campaign and I know the rules there are no turn and every thing is supost to flow like a conversation and all that jazz. But its seems to some players are more vocal then others so this has lead them to getting most of the spotlight while the less vocal ones get skipped. Would it be so terrible if I implemented a loose turn system where we just go clockwise around the table or something?

I was going to try some kind of popcorn init thing, but our group ended up adapting a nice "Player -> DM -> Player" thing that worked about the same anyway. Basically when someone says they do a thing, dm adjudicates/describes what he needs to, then turns the spotlight on whoever (maybe the same player, usually someone else).

e: to be more specific, say Zormak the Barbarian rushes in to attack the minotaur. He rolls an 8 on defy danger, manages to leap above and avoid the giant centipedes but oh no! As he lands, the minotaur is bearing his axe down upon Zormak and he has no time to react! Janice the Elf Wizard, what do you do!?

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 6, 2014

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
What we've been doing basically boils down to winging it, but the couple times PCs have been at odds in my group has boiled down to "Have one guy do a move, and the other Interfere, and then let the fiction play out with various DM moves thrown in as the dice roll".

So like, if one guy (Jake) was throwing another off a cliff (Alan): Jake rolls...idk Str to toss him, Alan rolls Interfere. Both rolls end up 7-9, so Jake succeeds in throwing Alan off the cliff...but Alan manages to pull Jake over with him.

Idk if that's "right" or what but it's pretty close to the stuff that's been happening in my games, dunno if that helps.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

GladRagKraken posted:

Is there something I'm missing here that helps this make more sense?

It just seemed like he wanted to add some depth to character building/customization while leaving the rest of DW (races/spells/alignment/etc.) unchanged. Like, trying to make his book mesh with the core book as well as possible. Don't think it's that odd.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Got bored in class last week and started on a Dragon class for y'all to PEACH. Kinda want to use it now when I rotate out of being my group's gm. Sorta derivative of this so credit where it's due.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Could probably put that in the Look actually. Will write that down at some point.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

RSIxidor posted:

Clarify in Breath Weapon that +Str is for Mighty and +Cha is for Cunning. It's easy to see that as intended, but the plain English doesn't say it.

Added a clearer version of that last sentence, will look at it again later.

RSIxidor posted:

Might also want to state what's possible in Mortal Guise...You might also just leave it up to the GM in a game.

That's kinda what I was going for, just let the fiction dictate what makes sense for when moves trigger. No wings/ability to fly? Probably no Aerial Ace...but if you do have wings large enough for it in your guise, well, that sets you up for being easily noticed which can be its own problem. Or maybe you're an Asian dragon that flies around with no wings in the first place (didn't think about that to be honest). Breath Weapon? Why not, describe how. Aura? Maybe, how does yours work? Is it a mental, magical thing or is your dragon shape so overpowering/imposing that it causes awe/fear?

Thanks for the feedback!

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

GEExCEE posted:

I have online spreadsheet-type character sheets for every character but the druid. I couldn't find a template for him. Is there anything out there, or do I have to make my own?

The second post of the thread has some google sheets for different classes (druid here).

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Could the player describe what they're doing (i.e. punch the dragon in the face) and the GM roll whatever to make that happen?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ScaerCroe posted:

Would DW be the game for us?

If you're expecting structured combat (i.e. turn-based tactics) then maybe not, but otherwise I've used DW for everything my group used D&D for. Whole thing plays out basically like a conversation, really smooth and keeps people engaged. Highly recommend.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Only thing I notice that I hadn't commented on before is the overlap between Man Behind the Monster and the Channeling trait. They work different but in the end do the same thing.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Remind him to take Unnatural Ally later on for a swarm of dire bees.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Doodmons posted:

Hey, he's not wrong about the Paladin. Yeesh that playbook is head and shoulders above any other corebook ones in power level, and many fan ones. Quest, I Am The Law, Exterminatus, Bloody Aegis. All really really powerful. And what does the Fighter get? +1d8 damage.

Idk, I don't think Paladin is that bad, balance-wise. Fighter gets 2 multiclass moves to poach whatever from wherever. Pally can get cleric spells but at that point its stats are being stretched between Str or Dex for H&S, Con for Defend, Wis for spellcasting and Cha for I Am The Law. Exterminatus ends up being a negative if the target disengages, and the debilities from Bloody Aegis can be more hindering than the damage it mitigates.

As far as damage output goes, Pally gets potentially 1d10 + 1d4 (Magic Weapon from cleric) + 2d4 (Exterminatus) + 1d8 (Holy Smite) = 17-18 damage on average. Yeah, that hurts.

Fighter can do that too; 1d10 + 1d4 (multiclass Cleric) + 2d4 (multiclass Pally) + 1d8 (Bloodthirsty). Fighter then has access to Blacksmith, Evil Eye, and Through Death's Eyes. Armor Mastery/Perfection does the same thing as Bloody Aegis with a different drawback, and you can always buy/steal/otherwise procure new armor after the quest/mission/job is done (or perhaps even during said mission).

Druid, Bard, Wizard, and Cleric are also all really powerful. Thief is the only class I feel is really desperate for some more power in its move list.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

How is Dungeon World for DMs?

I loved the player side of 4e but would never try to dm it because of the prep involved, at least for me to comfortable doing it.

I took over dming our DW campaign after we finished an arc and the other guy expressed interest in playing; it's so goddamn easy to pull monsters/traps/whatever out of your rear end that any effort I do put in is just spent making maps for that cool dungeon idea or putting together ideas for story hooks instead of monster stat blocks/traps/terrain design/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I made these monster playbooks a while ago and I noticed they weren't in the OP. I planned on writing an adventure supplement with them but never got around to it. I'm still pretty proud of the design, especially the Horde, and I'd be happy to see them put up.

Djinn DTRPG Link
Pixie DTRPG
Observer DTRPG
Horde DTRPG
ShadowCat DTRPG
Ogre DTRPG

I've been using the shadowcat/displacer beast one, it's been a lot of fun; Concealment/No Image are everything I wanted in a stealth class. Horde looked neat but haven't had a chance to try it really.