Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Does anyone have some tips as a GM for when players constantly roll 7-9? I haven't GM'd a game for a looooong time, and I started running short of how to make combat a lot more interesting. Also, I suppose, how to make interesting encounters period - situations that are more than "Welp theres a goblin and hes rushing at you, what do you do?". We are all former D&D players who haven't played in a long time, so our first reactions are "Well I guess I attack them".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

That guy's read the book (and apparently played the game) without understanding what he's read. I mean, he manages to complain that there's no explanation of what advantages a Reach weapon offers

I did a writeup for 13th Age a few weeks back on standardizing weapon damages, and importing tags from dungeon world. Didn't get much feedback, but what I did went completely over one guy's head on G+.

Myrmidongs posted:

Awkward: It drops damage die down a step in close-quarters situations (D10 becomes D8, etc)

quote:

Awkward - as "close quarter situations" isn't defined in 13th Age, you might want to adjust this somehow

He complained about that, but not about Reach. I mean, I even made it explicit what negative effect it might have, but apparently that isn't enough.

Myrmidongs fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 3, 2015

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

gnome7 posted:

Actually, Close Quarters is already a term in 13th Age. It's a keyword for spells. If a spell is Close Quarters, then you can use it while engaged with an enemy without triggering an opportunity attack. If a spell is not, then casting it while next to an enemy is dangerous.

So having something trigger an effect while you are in close quarters is actually 100% covered within the rules, even without using plain terms english. That said, a melee weapon that deals less damage in close quarters doesn't really work well by that definition, unless it is also Reach or something so you can bash people with it while not being engaged with them.

I dunno I just sort of assumed people could figure it out on their own without having to break it down into explicit 5-foot radius stuff. That and there is already a small section in the 13A book which already basically says GMs should be free to penalize huge weapons in tight spaces. Again, though I just never figured anyone would care about the semantics of "close quarters vs tight spaces" let alone read that and not understand.