Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Be wary of straight up replacing a move like Hack and Slash with a better version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That's from Apocworld, actually. Injury rolls do the same thing, representing that having more of something is actually detrimental to your continued good health.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

PublicOpinion posted:

The difference for me there is that the wizard can choose not to reshape reality, and the druid can choose to be a guy with weird growths on his head, but the giant can never not be giant. I'm less worried about the giant doing things beyond the capabilities of the other characters, and more about not being able to do the things every other character can.

The obvious solution would be an Apache Chief class.

e: When you Speak your Sacred Phrase to grow, roll +con

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 29, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I think it's the difference between playing a dude that's huge, and a dude that's XYBER HUGE.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You can totally be an Elf thief, just take whatever racial move fits your duder.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It might be an interesting exercise to relabel all the racial moves as Backgrounds like the Inverse World playbooks and come up with names for them.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Look, I said it was a quiet in and out, how was I to know Renraku would have a Cyber-Zombie demonstration the next floor down? - Johnson Troll-slayer.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The new emphasis really clears the class up, but for the purpose of the Bushido move does one's drive need to align with the chosen Bushido virtue? I can see arguments for and against.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yes, except they think that every other beholder is a Doombot.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Only one person has to in theory (Technically no one, but surely someone in your group is gonna bust the minotaur.)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You should just take that image out, friendo.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Replace his race move with a Minotaur move then go buck wild. The original Minotaur was apparently really stealthy in the Labyrinth.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Needs an advance called Fremdschamen that gives you hold or some effect when your fellow party members roll a 6-.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Doodmons posted:

Rogue Trader Apocalypse has an advancement mechanic similar to this where every playbook has their Keys which when fulfilled, everyone gets xp and you get +1 forward. At the end of the session you erase any checked off keys and write new ones. It's 5 xp to level up.
Examples:

Arch-Militant:
- Defeat a mighty adversary
- Fight alongside a new ally
- Celebrate a glorious victory
- Wield a new, dangerous weapon
- Stand strong in defense of another.

Archivist:
- Explore a forgotten tomb-world
- Capture an exotic specimen alive
- Acquire an ancient relic
- Take action against a thief
- Prevent something valuable from being destroyed

It's a nice system. I'm thinking of doing something similar for my PBtA hack.

Keys own and I'm surprised I didn't think about using them in PBtA games before.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Go read some ongoing games in The Game Room to get a feel for how it goes! There's plenty of Dungeon World games active there.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Any of them with the words Dungeon and World in the title.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Kai Tave posted:

Well as I mentioned at the tail end of my post there are repair kits, which for 35 coin can no-fooling repair up to 2 points of stress. Which makes the "Captain's Share" move seem kind of strange since it's 50 coin to fix a single stress.

Hey so moving away from picking nits with Inverse World for a moment, you know what's always a great idea? Making homebrew for games you haven't yet had a chance to play. That always works out super-great, which is why I decided to go ahead and start work on a new playbook.

Someone, I can't remember who it was, asked if there was a Vampire playbook for Dungeon World. Well, there's a Vampire compendium class that Okasvi did but a quick search through the index shows that nobody has posted a full-fledged L1-10 Vampire playbook, so I thought I'd go ahead and give it a shot bearing in mind a lot of the feedback I got from my first attempt to make a playbook and also after reading over Inverse World several several times and soaking it all in.

Here is my extremely rough first draft of the core playbook and its starting moves that god willing I actually remembered to set to public access this time. One of the big inspirations for this playbook was the Golem which I'm sure shows in the way the Aspects are set up.

Shun the Light is basically a placeholder for now, something I stuck down there to get it out of my head and on paper, but I'm not super-sold on the idea of a move that's basically a penalty with no real way to use it to your advantage. For the moment I'm in need of sleep so it's going up as-is. I could always simply discard it entirely, but even if Dracula could walk around in the daylight it didn't leave him at his best and I'd like to find a non-lovely way to say "hey vampires, you should probably not be out in the daylight if you can help it."

It was one of the people in the X-Crawl Dungeon World thread in The Game Room, because they wanted to app the most 90's Vampire.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
First kneejerk thing: 7-9, not 6-9.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Krysmphoenix posted:

My only complaint is it seems like that several moves refer to the Wanderer's hidden enemy, without really having a place to define who that enemy is.

A super easy way to bring the enemy into focus is replace your Race moves with Enemy moves. Choose between things like A Darkness Across The Land, A Potent Empire, and A Great Force Of Light And Good (because nobody ever said the Wanderer was the good guy, or that all good guys are good together). Obviously gaining the notice of a creeping shadow is different than tripping across an Imperial Patrol.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Gnome7 is making a bunch of them. Chufty Cold Mage is my personal favorite so far.

EDIT: On the other hand, I might start working on something of that stripe. HERO OF THE BEACH: When you Summon your Hero Halo to impress or intimidate, roll +STR...

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 31, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I, personally, am in love with that Valor move and all the advances for it. I agree with Krysmphoenix that you may want to distinguish hold a bit better, because you can build yourself into having three or four different flavours of hold at once.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Humility is great because unlike other damage boosting moves it's not taking +1dwhatever to your damage, you're giving it to another character. There's a lot more thought that goes into that.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You ever play Path of Neo?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I was in a game where the Princess's helpers were an insect colony that lived in her skin. Gritty is relative.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Is Pirate World available to non-backers yet?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Does the Pennspiration give you +1 against poor or disadvantaged targets?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Hey, where are you guys watching God of Cooking? It streaming anywhere?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I don't know what's better, that fabulously coiffed Alpaca or the fact you ride the giant dog sidesaddle.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Your backgrounds are a bit dull. Just getting +1 to a move is a bit unevocative.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Just want to throw out God Botherer for Fenarisk's new Cleric. If he doesn't take it, I'll be forced to make it a playbook myself.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Outlander, for maximum pulp.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Deltasquid posted:

I'll look at the FFX video and your Bonded tomorrow, I promise! Then I'll make sure my playbook slams with the best.

Throw in some multi-class moves so I can be a B-Baller/Edgy Designer for maximum Wakka.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I feel like the B-Baller needs at least one move that adds options or mitigates the dangers of The Verboten Jams, probably a 6-10 move.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Considering canonical Ripple Training involved things like multi-day pillar climbs and learning to breathe by inhaling for ten minutes followed by exhaling for twenty it's pretty much a clear case of a +Con situation.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Pretty sure shadow is one of the three Rainlord "races" already.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well, if it's a social interaction you better be severing the memory of you stabbing them. Which won't get you much because you only get one thing to sever.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

PerniciousKnid posted:

This might be the wrong thread to ask, but are there any good fantasy games in the Dungeon World genre that are less beholden to D&D tropes?

Play Inverse World.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Apathy?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Play against type and be super loving excited about the oncoming Machine Age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Fenarisk posted:

I really want to do a hack that's more about amassing resources and advancement towards a long term goal with disposable, hopeless adventurers after playing Darkest Dungeon a bunch. Could be a lot of fun with simple disposable playbooks.

I'm guessing it would need a more complex "goal" playbook for the whole group or facets of the goal for each player, like a "guild" playbook or "settlement" playbook.

Aspects of the settlements themselves are playbooks, the actual adventurers either hireling complicated or even spendable hold for settlement moves.