Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man I had no idea this game was so great. I was pitched this game as 'oh this is kinda like old D&D but updated' and my reaction was 'so either it's a retroclone in which case no thanks, or I could just play D&D 4th edition'. I picked it up on a whim on Drivethru and I know my group is gonna just love this, this is the most storyful of storygames I've seen in a while and that rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That looks right up my group's alley, gnome. I'll pass the link on to them, I know a couple will be as into this concept as me and back.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mikan posted:

What Gnome isn't explicitly saying, but totally means, is that Inverse World is perfect for tabletop Final Fantasy 6.

This is literally how I pitched it to my group.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea in my group it's always been the second example. It's a great way to make worldbuilding a group experience, players can obviously enjoy a premade world just fine but when you let them toss in their own flavor it helps everyone feel involved in the story.

You say your thing, then roll, then the GM either says 'yep that's right' or 'well you're half right' or whatever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I fuckin love that giant just chilling out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PublicOpinion posted:

Yesssss now I'll be able to finally play this guy

You mean

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't know if Grim World is for sale to non-backers or not but it's an absolute must buy, even if you don't dig the whole dark and gritty aspect of it just the base mechanics listed in it are really good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gnome7 posted:

Inverse World PDF draft is going out Monday. This is not up for further delay, it is a fact.

( If it is not clear, I do not dislike the Grim World folks at all, I am just frustrated at myself )

Best weekend/early week. My group is gonna be frozen for days trying to decide between the two.

Until we decide to just merge them like idiots.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the best tips for new GMs here I can think of is to remember 7-9 rolls aren't 'you succeed not as cool' but more 'you succeed BUT...'. That's what, in my experience, usually keeps the story flowing in a smooth way. At the same time, though, you shouldn't be trying to gently caress them,t he complications should be interesting, not just complicating. Sure for things like hack and slash sometimes you can't do much more than 'you hit but leave yourself open' but be sure to add in things that add interesting options for characters to deal with to keep things fresh.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Just got Mounted Combat, it's great, it has basically any mount you'd need done pretty well, everything gets a unique move or two to make it feel different. A boar rider is different than a sandworm rider and everything seems, on paper, balanced well.

Also I've said it before but get Inverse World, it's a delight.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Reason posted:

How is pirate world coming along? I was really looking forward to it, but it doesn't seem like there has been an update on the website in a while, but I might be looking in the wrong place.

Just got a backer update yesterday or the day before where he basically said he's been swamped with things and understands he's very behind but still plans on getting books out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Supreme Court posted:

Yeah! I didn't get the project finished before my Uni exams, which was a total pain. My exams are done and I've deliberately not picked anything else up, so I'm basically working full-time on Pirate World now. Hope to have it finished soon.

I'm glad to hear you're back working on it, and I'm also glad you weren't insane/stupid enough to prioritize 'pirate RPG' over 'university exams', so just in general well done.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Both mages are great but I gotta say Winter Mage is pretty awesome.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Any good playbooks for playing a pixie/fairy/some other tiny magical nature creature? My dude in the campaign I'm running just bit it and we're deep in fae country, figure it could be fun to dust off an old favorite concept of 'tiny barbarian' from my Hackmaster days.

My other option is to just use the barbarian book of course but I wanna be all sparkles and fairy dust while I chop limbs off.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Evil Mastermind posted:

I can't wait to see what you and Mikan write in mine. :allears:

Same, "We'll write random poo poo in your book" is a great pledge level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Doodmons posted:

Just because one of my players pointed it out to me and now I can't unsee it - why does the Overlord only have one foot?

She has minions to carry her?