Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Just rescuing a bunch of my stuff from the old thread.

Misc Compendium Classes & Moves
Vampire
The Immortal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, it's not. The concept of some class being inherently closer to other classes is not a D&Dism, especially not when used to drive a fictional identity. Why does the Shaman have the Ranger and Druid as "favoured classes?" Because they're all "primal" archetypes that are close to nature; it makes sense in terms of the fiction for any given Shaman to have a predilection for having an animal companion or being able to turn into a bear, and it also makes sense mechanically because of the overlap between these classes (e.g. the Druid's talking-to-things moves).

Why do you see shaman as just a "primal" archetype? It has the same root in the real world wise-men and spiritual leaders as the cleric and the wizard. They're all about using their knowledge of hidden things and wisdom of the ancients to solve problems and guide others. The only differences they have are whether the lore is passed down with oral tradition or writings and what magic powers they have and those are flexible aspects and rife for reskinning and thematic remixing.

For example, you could just as easily have a civilized shaman of a decadent empire, who communes with their dead predecessors and uses obscure sorcery and necromancy to work their magic. That would have much more in common with a wizard or a cleric than druid or a ranger.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Okay, that part probably has to do with D&D a bit. :v:

More seriously: because the Shaman concept I had in mind when I wrote the class is lifted from fantasy sources where the shaman is:

1) predominantly from tribal cultures that spurn urban environments;
2) part medicine man (of the natural, plant medicine type);
3) has a strong connection to animals (able to shapeshift/summon animals).

You're completely right that you can have civilised shamans and warrior shamans and sneaky shamans and shamans who also worship a deity and every other kind of shaman you want, hence the MC moves being rewritten.

No, but I'm not entirely sure what L5R has to do with anything?

I think he was going for eastern shamanism.

Full disclosure. I might be talking out of my rear end since most of this comes from manga and other Asian pop culture + Wikipedia and I don't have the appropriate background in cultural research, so take all of the following with a grain of salt. But I was under the impression that Asia has a long tradition of organised shamanistic religion, and a bunch of old empires, which resulted into a bunch of civilized spiritualists. Like the japanese onmyoji or the chinese wu, for example.

So you're basically skipping half of the world's shamans by focusing on the european/native american version of shamanism.

Edit: I mean, my earlier example was basically just generic orientalist shaman, based on said pop culture impressions.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 26, 2013

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

It's Lemon's class. If you want to give it Multiclass dabbler, that's fine, but this thread has been 30% "you didn't put a move in there, how dare you?" / "I didn't think it'd fit."

I didn't really mean for it to come across that way. It's fine if he wants to specifically make a dedicated class for a tribal shaman. I was just pointing out that there are archetypes of civilized shamans available, in case he wants to expand the class towards that.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

jonthegm posted:

Can't there be city rangers and city druids too? People good at surviving in an urban environment? Caretaker of wild dogs and rats and cockroaches?

That being said, I think wu fits the trappings of a naturalistic and primal spirit talker that LC was going for. Onmyoji are more diviners and geomancers than shaman. The original (Siberian) word shaman was pulled to mean a person who talks with spirits.

I was mostly working from the earlier multiclassing discussion. My point was more that, at least in pop culture, eastern shamanism and eastern sorcery tend to mix together a lot and said mixed spiritualists tend to be courtiers and other civilized, religious or government officials. And as such it would be thematically appropriate for an individual shaman character that was drawing from those sources to be able to multiclass into wizard and cleric without penalties in addition to ranger and druid.

My purpose wasn't to tell him to change the focus of the class or it's moves themselves.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 26, 2013

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Okay, this should work: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B30fzv28XdrYb0taaGZuVzNhcFk/edit

The Shaman 2.0 character sheet is now available for general downloading. You can thank Gnome7 for putting up with my constant nitpicking and creating the sheet. Please download for best viewing, as gdoc fucks with fonts.

Please let me know if you spot any typos or any instances of words being spelt correctlythe British way instead of the American way.

While this might have been the case in the old version too and I just didn't notice it back then, I just noticed that "A plague on both your houses" seems a bit weak when compared to the name of the move. I mean the move is fine otherwise, but with a name like that I'd expect it to, you know, be able to bring misfortune to the target's whole household and extended family, instead of just them alone.

I'd change the 10+ result or add a 12+ result to add a version that extends the curse to the extended family and/or household.

Edit: I mean that move name just screams to be made into the shaman equivalent of the 9th level cleric spells "storm of vengeance" or "plague".

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 1, 2013

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Okay, several conversations with PixelScum and others have lead me to realise that I'm not overly fond of the D&D 3-18 stats in DW, and I've been giving getting rid of them some thought.

The long and short of it is that getting rid of stats and keeping just the mods breaks:

1) The rate at which your stat mods increase.

2) HP.

If you want to read poorly-written word vomit you can go here where I spell out my thought process, but essentially:

• Instead of getting a new stat point every level, you get to bump up a stat mod every even level (2, 4, 6, 8, 10).

• Instead of each class adding Constitution to a base HP number, HP is fixed and determined by guesstimating what a typical member of a given class would normally put into Constitution.

The HP fix is janky as all hell but gives the following list of HP values:

Seemingly completely arbitrary but based on my guesstimates:
Bard 18 HP; Cleric 21 HP; Druid 19 HP; Fighter 26 HP; Paladin 23 HP; Ranger 21 HP; Thief 18 HP; Wizard 16 HP; Shaman 21 HP.

Rounded to the nearest multiple of five (I like this less because it makes HP differences between classes even smaller):
Bard 20 HP; Cleric 20 HP; Druid 20 HP; Fighter 25 HP; Paladin 25 HP (poor Fighter, there goes your very slight toughness advantage); Thief 20 HP; Wizard 15 HP; Shaman 20 HP.

Alternatively, rounded to the nearest multiple of three would probably work as a compromise between those two options.

Ultimately, I think the whole exercise basically shows that trying to get rid of the stats in this way is pretty pointless. PixelScum is working on a tag-based approach which will probably work much better.

On an unrelated note, gnome, if you're still updating the Improved Fighter, why doesn't Signature Weapon have "Bow and Arrows/Rope Dart" as a look option and "Near" as a range option and why can't I be an awesome bow-using Fighter?

I don't like the suggested HP fix, it breaks the ability to create nonstandard character concepts like front line melee wizards. I know that every Dungeon World wizard I'm ever gonna make is going to start at 15 constitution and boost it to 18 if they ever make it to 10th level. But then again I just unreasonably love the constitution stat because it can make any class tough as hell, allows you to take hits for the rest of the party and allows you to bypass class damage restrictions at high levels when fighting defensively.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Isn't combat teleportation a trick psychic melee types often use? The psychic warrior seems to already focus heavily on mobility so why not go the whole hog. Combat precognition is another thing that would be really cool and appropriate. Autohypnosis to ignore wounds and debilities or to stimulate self regeneration or to otherwise push beyond human capabilities? Rending spacetime with a weapon? Punching souls out of their bodies?

Just tossing some random ideas out there.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Wahad posted:

Thanks to the advice from everybody who provided it, here is the very first draft of my custom class idea: the Zealot! Inspired by the Avenger from D&D 4E and the Inquisitor from Pathfinder, this guy is less concerned with saving or protecting the weak and more about bringing divine retribution to enemies. Feedback is encouraged heartily.

The Zealot v1

The rapier is nice choice for a weapon, but swap the bow for a flintlock pistol or at least some type of crossbow, so you can pretend to be Solomon Kane or a Warhammer fantasy witch-hunter. Also make sure that the look lists include a puritan hat and a trenchcoat when you get around to them.

Edit: Whoops. I noticed that it's choose one weapon, not get both. The point that crossbows/flintlocks seem like a more flavorful choice for this type of class still stands though.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 9, 2013

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Is the board tapped out on Dungeon World Play By Post games? The two games I was in died couple of weeks ago due to GM real life stuff and there haven't been new recruitment posts in the recruitment megathread since.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I always thought that the 4e executioner's ability to stow the corpse of their victim into a shadowy extradimensional space to hide evidence or prove the client that the job is done was a pretty cool ability.

Something like:

Shadow Coffin

When you open a small container that you took a few hours to ritualistically prepare, the nearest dead body is transformed into shadowy mist and sealed inside. You can retrieve the corpse, in the condition it was when sealed, by breaking the container.

Edit: Or make it the nearest dead or unconscious body, if you wanted your assassin to be able to kidnap people as well.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 30, 2013

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I've just started replaying Arx Fatalis for the n:th time. Which led me to take a new look at my scholar class and I realized that the whole class is a mess.

It started it's life as a compendium class inspired by the Arx Fatalis rune magic, but I ended up trying to turn it into a full class when there wasn't enough material there for that. Which led to it's current form as unholy mix of a dwarven runepriest, faux asian court scholar, the strategist and just plain wizard. There just isn't any kind of focus there.

In addition I ended up having writer's block regarding the scholar's starting texts, since I had no idea where to begin constructing something that was concise, had a balanced mixture of words to cast with and was generic enough to slot into any game while being flavorful enough to be inspiring.

So I decided to turn it back into a compendium class that consists only of the moves related to it's spellcasting mechanic like it used to be. This also allows for the new compendium class's starting text to be tied to the individual game's setting and plot, since the compendium class is entered by deciphering an in-game text of power. (Also I can be lazy and not have to come up with interesting and balanced texts of power from scratch.)

So here's the new Runecaster. I'm not likely to do anything more with the scholar.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Ever since I realized that Dungeon World would work perfectly well if you only used the Basic and Special moves and dropped Class and Advanced moves completely, I've had an idea bouncing around my head for a minimal generalist class that would focus only on using Basic and Special moves and could be slotted in to replace any character archetype. Of course, just making a blank character sheet without class or advanced moves would be underpowered, so I tried to focus on moves that would enhance the existing moveset.

Here's what I have thus far.

The Fortune Hunter revolves around generating fortune in various ways, which can then be used to boost anything you do with Basic and Special moves or you can use Mummer's Legerdemain to represent both magical and martial special moves by allowing you to ignore stuff that would prevent you from triggering Basic and Special moves.

It has only a single advanced move by design that you can take repeatedly to broaden your ability to generate fortune. But otherwise it would be recommended to head towards compendium classes instead if you want more from your level-ups.

The class is designed to be a fire and forget type class that is completely shaped by how you play them instead of what advanced moves you pick.

Thoughts? It's still missing the Names, Looks, Alignments and other non core features other than stats and gear.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I've been reading the thread kind of sporadically lately, but I noticed that I didn't get any feedback on the Fortune Hunter I posted a few pages back.

I've worked on it a bit more and added the drives and backgrounds to it and would like to know what you think.

The idea behind the class was to make something minimalistic that you could just start playing and shape into any kind of character as you go.

I have a bad habit derived from playing computer RPG:s to plan out all my characters beforehand since I don't want to end up missing out on some cool ability because I ran out of levelups, though I care less about numerical optimization. And I've noticed that I take that habit to any RPG, even one as simple to advance in as Dungeon World. This class was kind of created as a reaction to my frustration with having to deal with choosing advanced moves every levelup and trying to choose the right base class to fit whatever concept I had in mind.

That's why it's class moves are flexible and based on generating Fortune to use on improving the results of basic moves or ignoring their restrictions. And why it only has a single advanced move that can be taken repeatedly to broaden their ability to generate Fortune.

As a bonus the class has a lot of room to branch off into compendium classes, since that single advanced move isn't all that necessary to the functioning of the class.

Here's the link again.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
The differences in the backgrounds were supposed to come from the narrative benefits other than the ability to live off of your social class. The commoners have that generic "aid" part that can be pretty much anything that they can do and doesn't force them to risk their lives. The merchants have the ability to scout out lucrative business opportunities, that's why it says "at least a modest living", it was meant to indicate that you may be able to get something more if you capitalize on local opportunities. And the nobles have that gossip part that could be pretty handy if you want to play the intrigue game.

The ability to make a living was supposed to be just a flavorful side benefit that would tell you how your character would spend their downtime if they had nothing else to do, not the main portion of the background. Though maybe the wording focuses on the making a living part too much.

Or is that still too similiar?

I also kind of deliberately avoided giving the class a multiclass move, since it would tempt me to plan out and cherrypick moves from other classes, though the part about not being able to pick moves from any classes already in play might combat that somewhat, so I can probably add that in.

Edit: Also, the class is literally meant to be Generic Adventurer: The Class. I wanted to make something that you could use to fit whatever oddball concept you made up or if you just wanted something that you could fire and forget and not have to deal with after character creation.

For something flavorful, there are all the rest of classes available.

It's meant to be a feature that the only thing differentiating a magician from a warrior is what you describe your equipment as looking like and what you spend your fortune on.

Edit2: Also, also, Mummer's legerdemain is what you're meant to use if you want to do cool stuff that's not covered by the basic moves. Want to blast someone with magic, use mummer's legerdemain to ignore the fact that you don't have a ranged weapon and volley away. Want to be a master swordsman, use mummer's legerdemain to ignore the fact that your sword isn't sharp enough to cut dragon scales and use hack and slash. It's meant to cover any spell or special technique you can think of by allowing you to reduce them down to a basic move if you're willing to spend enough fortune to ignore all the obstacles in your way.

The class is basically meant to be what you make of it. You are what you do and so on.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 28, 2013

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

gnome7 posted:

I actually rather like this. A couple things, though: The Backgrounds don't seem different enough. The Commoner one gives you a place to stay and food. The Merchant one gives you... money to live off of, and only to live off of. The Noble one gives you hospitality and gossip as long as you don't piss anyone off. All of them only give you a place to stay, and that's really boring. Suggestions:

Merchant: You were born to a family of merchants or artisans and learned how to deal and bargain. When you roll Parley and get a 10+ result, gain 1-Fortune.

Noble: You were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, and fortune falls in your lap. At the beginning of each session, gain 1-Fortune.

Also, I want to suggest one more Advanced move:

Worldly
Gain one move from any playbook no one else is currently using. You cannot gain a move from a playbook you've already gained a move from using this move. You can take this advance multiple times.

EDIT: Also, on Lucky Streak, I would change the last one to "Upgrade a miss result of a Basic or Special move to a 7-9 result. You do not mark XP for this."

After looking at them again after a good night's sleep, these are all really good ideas and I implemented them all in the end. Though I made the merchant background trigger on supply too in addition to parley. The reason why I was hesitating with the backgrounds is that I usually like to make them follow an unified mechanical theme while differentiating them with how they are triggered or relate to the fiction. Which is the reason that I they all turned out a bit similar.

Edit:

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Honestly, I don't think you made a generic class, but it's still really cool so read the rest of what I say.

If you want to see a generic class, see the Freebooter (which I would link right now if I had any clue where I downloaded it from). All the moves are basically guidelines for making decent moves. I probably won't ever play it because there's too many cool classes to play already, but it works for what it does. Your Fortune Hunter can do any concept, as long as it's The Person Who Has Just What We Need. Doesn't matter if they have it because they're lucky or made pacts with dozens of spirits or have a briefcase of toys from the boys back in the Agency or are just that good, they are competent and have tricks up their sleeve.

Because the class does have a flavor, it just mixes well with just about any concept you'd have.

Also. This was the result of my other design goal of "minimal chargen". I've actually seen the freebooter before myself. But I wanted to make something that was both generic and able to grow into any kind of character flexibly without having to deal with choosing character build options.

The whole idea of the class was based around the concept that the character can have the abilities that the player thinks it's appropriate for them to have and they can freely change or add to those abilities as the character develops in play.

And when your goals boil down to "do everything" and "no character build options", you have to limit the "do everything part" a lot so you don't end up with a DnD godwizard.

That's why I made the reliable ways to regenerate fortune to either require money and downtime or buying them from the GM at a disadvantageous exchange rate of narrative power (misfortune is a lot more powerful resource than fortune since it's pretty much a blank check for the GM).

It's also why mummer's legerdemain is worded as "an obstacle" instead of "obstacles". So if you really want to do the impossible, you need to spend a lot of fortune to ignore a lot of obstacles, which requires either a lot of money and downtime, which are mostly under GM control, or giving the GM a lot of blank checks.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 29, 2013

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I finished up The Fortune Hunter. I added a name list cribbed from some random list of famous adventurers that I found on Google, filled out the looks and rewrote the equipment section to be a bit more flavorful. Also added Armored to the advanced moves, so if you want to wear heavy armor, you don't have spend worldly on a boring move and lock yourself out of more interesting class moves.

What do you think?

E: I just realized it's still missing bonds, I'll fill those up later.

E2: Also added Makeshift shield to encourage the player to treat their equipment as disposable. Hopefully between that and Vice, charity and superstition, there's a good incentive to begin every adventure broke and with different gear than last time, Conan style.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 18, 2013

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Handgun Phonics posted:

It's a bit odd that there's no gear choices, just a fixed starting set. It'd be more interesting to have some choices- a broken sword, a sling and some stones you found by the road, a makeshift staff, the knife someone left stuck in your gut- that sort of thing maybe?

Also, it feels like they don't have any moves that don't tie directly into gaining or losing fortune.

The lack of moves other than the fortune related ones is intentional. The class is meant to rely on basic and special moves for everything. The fortune moves are there to boost those moves, since a class with no moves whatsoever would be underpowered. That is also the reason for the lack of advanced moves. It's meant to be a kind of blank slate character that is defined by what you choose to do and spend your fortune on, instead of what moves you pick.

When I made this I was kind of frustrated with the fact that most classes had so many cool advanced moves that I had a hard time picking which ones I wanted and that there wasn't any room for compendium classes once I was done choosing which 9 I really wanted. And since I realized that most moves are actually pretty pointless, since you can do pretty much everything with just defy danger if you can justify it in the fiction, I decided to make a class that focuses on just making the most out of the moves that everyone has and has a mechanic to boost them to make up for the lack of class moves.

The ideas for weapon options sound good though.

E: Added more weapon options and the bonds.

E2: Combined the redundant dagger option and the ranged weapon option into a set of poorly balanced throwing knives.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jul 19, 2013

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Handgun Phonics posted:

While you can do everything without having a playbook, it's comparatively boring. It'd be more interesting if some of your abilities- such as your improvised shield- didn't cost fortune.

Makeshift Shield costs fortune to stop you becoming invulnerable by constantly filling your inventory with random junk picked up from the floor. Mummer's Legerdemain costs fortune because you can do pretty much anything with it by buying away all the obstacles that stop you from doing it via a basic or an special move. And Lucky Streak costs fortune because it's an all around boost to all basic and special moves and would be overpowered if it didn't cost something. Charm of Borrowed Luck and Vice, Charity and Superstition are there to give you ways to buy fortune if your real life luck isn't up to snuff.

The whole point of the class was to be kind of a fire and forget class that requires minimal chargen and focuses on improving the basic and special moves. The character is meant to be defined by what the player is spending their fortune on. If the player wants to do something not covered by the basic and special moves, they can either poach it from some other class with Worldly or use Mummer's Legerdemain to force it into being covered by the basic and special moves. I wrote it for myself because I'd much rather just roll Defy Danger (appropriate stat) than deal with choosing which class and which moves I want.

Honestly I like World of Dungeons more than Dungeon World, but my only current trad gaming is the PbP:s on this forum and Dungeon World seems to be more common here. I wanted to write a generic adventurer class that I could play in those situations where I can't be bothered to deal with my computer RPG born obsession to plan out a max level character build before the game even starts.

Also I spent some time making a Google Spreadsheet character sheet for the class.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Since I made that Google Spreadsheet character sheet for the Fortune Hunter, I decided to make a similar sheet for the Augur too.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I guess I'll toss up a death move for the Augur too.

The Final Fortune
You foresaw this moment long ago, the moment of your death is at hand. As your end approaches, the veil before your mind’s eye parts completely and you finally see everything that makes the universe tick. You have enough time during these final moments of clarity to reveal a great truth or prophesy to your allies, set in motion a chain of events that can greatly alter the world or unfailingly perform a single task with complete perfection.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I did some tweaking on the Augur.

I replaced the boring racial moves with more interesting versions, replaced the staff in the weapons list with a crystal pendulum that's mostly the same but not two-handed (and cooler) and removed the damage over time limitation on reversed healing items in malpractice, since it's a 6-10 move and a reversed healing potion is probably not overpowered at that level even though it's still straight up 10 damage poison/flask.

E: Also removed the rapier from the weapons and added the precise tag to the dagger. Now both of the augur's weapon options are repurposed fortunetelling tools and they should be roughly comparable to each other, with the pendulum's longer reach countered by the dagger's multiple tags.

Link's here

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 22, 2013

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

gnome7 posted:

You didn't include the Death Move you literally just wrote? Put that in there, dude.

I didn't really know where to put it. Is it an optional starting move or an advanced one or what. Where are they on the grim world playbooks?

E: Added it in in it's own section for now.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
In case anyone wants to know, I did another very minor tweak to the Augur. The painkillers you can make with apothecary now read "Painkillers (+2 armor forward or +1 forward when Defying Danger to resist pain, whichever happens first)" instead of making you choose one or the other at the moment of consumption. I thought it would be weird if you say chose the armor bonus and ended up resisting pain before taking damage or other way around. Now it always applies to the first situation after consumption where it would be useful.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I added a couple more advanced moves to the Fortune Hunter. While the point of the class is to rely on the basic and special moves available to every class as much as possible, I thought that ending up with 9-10 habits if you don't care about multiclassing could make a character a bit scattershot roleplaying wise, so I added the Driven and Social Chameleon moves. All they do is allow you to pick up the drives/backgrounds you didn't choose at character creation.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I used the open office template that was posted earlier to make a complete playbook for the augur. I also did some tweaking to some of the wording while I was at it, though the only major revisions are replacing the vanilla multiclass moves with slightly more flavorful ones. The PDF is here.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Does anyone have a link to a list of the spell names that appear in the actual dying earth books? I wrote this compendium class a few months ago inspired by what I've read of the dying earth books thus far. I left it unfinished, since I wanted to base the spell lists on primary sources, didn't feel like going through my dying earth omnibus page by page and couldn't find a list of the official spells. Everything I googled up was either a spell name generator or other original content.

E: I could just generate a bunch of spell names easily and pick the most interesting words from them, but that seems like it would be taking the easy way out.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I wrote up a new race/background, it's a bit wordy, but I couldn't figure out how to condense it further.

Ghost:
You're bound to a small object, your anchor (typically carried by one of your allies), that relates to your death and you can't wander too far from it. As long as you have hitpoints remaining, you can manifest and demanifest yourself at will. While manifested you may appear obviously ghostly or as you were in life as you will. While demanifested you're invisible and intangible, unable to affect or be affected by the real world beyond observing. When you lose all of your hitpoints, instead of rolling for last breath, you're forcefully demanifested until your anchor is taken to a place of magical, spiritual or emotional power, at which point you can remanifest yourself at 1 HP. If you lose your last hit point to a divine, necromantic or other exorcising attack, roll last breath as normal. The gear you start with is a ghostly rendition of what you carried when you died, they weigh nothing, are unusable by anyone except you and if they include any consumables they refresh to the amount you started with whenever you visit a place of magical, spiritual or emotional power.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I mostly made it a race so you could start out as ghost at level 1, it could pretty easily work as a compendium class as is by just giving it some trigger related to you dying. Might expand it to a full class at some point, if I can bother.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Here, have an almost finished magic item. I only need to determine what stat would be most appropriate for determining how painful or painless you can be when you're stabbing someone with a sword.

The Sword of Insane Healing

"Despite the name, this magical blade doesn't restore a damaged mind. Instead wounds caused by this sword instantly regenerate, and heal any other wounds besides, though they're twice as painful as a similar mundane wound would be. It is said that being chopped into fine paste by this sword renders one to perfect health, restoring even lost youth and granting immortality. Whether the patient's mind can survive such torture though, is uncertain."

When the Sword of Insane Healing deals damage, the patient rolls +Wis to resist the pain, unless the patient is an NPC, in which case the wielder rolls +? to control how painful their ministrations are. On a 10+ choose one. On a 7-9 both, roll damage for both effects separately. On a miss the GM chooses one.

-The healing power of the sword restores the amount of HP equal to the damage that the attack would have dealt.
-The patient is physically healed, but takes damage as normal, due to the mental trauma of being brutally assaulted with a sword.

If you lose your last HP to the Sword of Insane Healing, roll your last breath as normal, but instead of Death you meet Delusion and if you roll a miss or refuse the bargain you're rendered irrevocably insane instead of dying.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Could probably cut it down to just rolling twice for damage, once to heal and once to damage, but I wanted to give the PC:s some ability to steer the effect towards a favorable outcome.

E: How about this.

The Sword of Insane Healing

"Despite the name, this magical blade doesn't restore a damaged mind. Instead wounds caused by this sword instantly regenerate, and heal any other wounds besides, though they're twice as painful as a similar mundane wound would be. It is said that being chopped into fine paste by this sword renders one to perfect health, restoring even lost youth and granting immortality. Whether the patient's mind can survive such torture though, is uncertain."

When the Sword of Insane Healing deals damage, roll for damage twice, one roll determines how many HP the swords healing powers heal, the other how much damage the mental trauma of excruciating pain deals. The player character that dealt or took the damage may add their Wis to either roll as they wish. If you lose your last HP to the Sword of Insane Healing, roll your last breath as normal, but instead of Death you meet Delusion and if you roll a miss or refuse the bargain you're rendered irrevocably insane instead of dying.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 29, 2013

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I've been away from this thread for about 300 pages, what's new in the world of Dungeon World?

Also I tweaked Fortune Hunter a bit more. The biggest change is that I replaced the backgrounds with a single freeform one that should give the player more flexibility in flavoring the class and added a new weapon option. Otherwise just tweaks in the wording.

E: I also made a pdf playbook with that open office template that was posted way earlier.

E2: I'm thinking of applying a thematic rewrite to the fortune hunter. What do you think of The Misfit? The mechanics are exactly the same but I changed the flavor of the class to be a bit more encompassing.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 4, 2013

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Okasvi posted:

I've been away from this thread for about 300 pages, what's new in the world of Dungeon World?

Also I tweaked Fortune Hunter a bit more. The biggest change is that I replaced the backgrounds with a single freeform one that should give the player more flexibility in flavoring the class and added a new weapon option. Otherwise just tweaks in the wording.

E: I also made a pdf playbook with that open office template that was posted way earlier.

E2: I'm thinking of applying a thematic rewrite to the fortune hunter. What do you think of The Misfit? The mechanics are exactly the same but I changed the flavor of the class to be a bit more encompassing.

Any comments on the changes I made to the fortune hunter or the thematic rewrite into the misfit?

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Bigup DJ posted:

Well honestly I think it's a bit vague - everything is far too broad. Your Background system is so broad that it's characterless, and I think a generic system misses the point - anyone's free to make any background which does anything you want. We've always had unlimited flexibility in flavouring the class because nothing says we can't write out own Backgrounds. Just because a Playbook offers you some backgrounds doesn't mean you're locked into picking one of them.

I think Edge is too good, and I think it's plugging too many thematic holes. Your moves come down to this: Most things you do get you Edge, and Edge can do anything. What exactly are you going for with Edge? What are you trying to evoke?

Here's the core of the class as far as I can see it: They're lucky, but they've also got immense willpower - they're crafty and opportunistic, they're resourceful under pressure. They've got an immense work ethic, but they're always broke. How's that? This is honestly a really cool class filled with lots of interesting contradictions bogged down by really bland mechanics.

Here's my suggestions: I think the Fortune Hunter-Misfit should always be on the verge of collapse. As far as I can see they're just like AW's Operator, and that's wonderful. Rather than luck, their moves are powered by personal misfortune. The closer their plans are to going up in smoke, the better they work. The Fortune Hunter's a shark - if they stop moving, they will die. It might be interesting if you could represent some cycle of poverty and opulence, binging and purging. When things are going well, they're spreading their wealth around, but they're getting complacent and they're struck down. When things are going poorly, they always dig deep and come out on top at everyone else's expense.

Every playbook has something beautiful inside it!

Most of that vagueness is actually intentional. The point of the class is to be a kind of generic one that can be slotted in to any character concept. The lack of advanced moves is similarly intentional. The original inspiration for the class came when I realized that Dungeon World would work just fine without any classes at all just with the base and advanced moves. I've been trying to write the class so that it's class features don't actually do anything else other than boost the moves everyone has and allow the class to be used for any character concept from a vampire, to a wizard, to whatever else. Since a class that was just HP, load, equipment and damage die would be too underpowered. Though I might have overdone it a bit. It's a bit hard to get a handle on class power when I'm just theorycrafting, since I don't currently have anyone to play with.

E: I'll try making edge more difficult to come by or increasing the amount of negative consequences generating it requires the player to submit themselves to.

E2: How's this? I toned down edge to a +1 that you can apply after rolling instead of a result upgrade and replaced lucky streak with hanging by a thread.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 5, 2013

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

I know. I like it better than dungeon world, but currently I'm only able to play pbp games here since I have no local group and Dungeon World is more common here than World of Dungeons. The Misfit is entirely an exercise in making a generic class that eliminates Dungeon World's character building minigame, minimal as it is, while working within the Dungeon World class framework.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Bigup DJ posted:

Well if that's the case wouldn't you be better off writing the playbook's mechanics as core mechanics - Edge, Professions and Vices or something - and having a game without playbooks? I might try and write a Count of Monte Cristo-Operator type playbook, though.

Well yes, but only if I were planning on making a new game. The point of working within the normal dungeon world class framework was that ideally the misfit would work just fine alongside the traditional playbooks in any dungeon world game that allowed custom classes.

It's not like I hate the traditional playbooks, I just don't always feel like searching for the most appropriate playbook for a character concept and then picking which 9 advanced moves I like the most in case the game lives until level 10. My perfectionism forces me to have a full character build ready to go from the start if the game has any form of hard cap on the character.

In a plain skillpoint system with progression limited only by the length of the game I'd be just fine letting my character grow organically, but in any system with a hard level cap or mutually exclusive build choices I need to have those things figured out from the start since I don't want to regret my build choices later and end playing a character where I feel like I should've picked some other move or whatever. The misfit is basically a class I wrote for myself for the occasions where I don't feel like planning a full character for a dungeon world game.

I mean I've spent the last year on and off tweaking a character build for a vanilla dungeon world wizard, shuffling spell, stat and advanced move choices around as my mood and thoughts about what parts I like the most shift around, occasionally even playing the current variation in a pbp game. So I'm usually just fine with playing the character building minigame, but sometimes it'd be nice to be able to just play whatever without my "gamer OCD" kicking in.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I revised my The Immortal compendium class.

I changed entry requirements so that it doesn't require require the luck of succeeding on three last breaths to enter, arranged the moves alphabetically and changed the wording on life for life, death for death and trial and fatal error from the gamey succeed as if you had rolled 12+ to automatically succeed above all expectations.

What do you think of the changes?

E: Also renamed Pay Back the Debt to Death's Due since it was a bit too plain a name when compared to the others.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 9, 2013

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I don't know what the playbook contains, but would it be possible to rework the moves to be variable scale (same move can work at both skirmish and battlefield scale, the difference is only between whether you're commanding your barbarian buddy or that unit of barbarian berserker mercenaries) and rename the class to "the strategist". Make the class about being one of those renowned freelance strategists that every fantasy hero/king to be/exiled rebel noble/whatever has to go on a quest to recruit so they can topple the evil empire or whatever.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I guess my example wasn't clear enough: we have a pretty good idea of what The Fighter or The Wizard is, in terms of fiction (admittedly this is because D&D, but still). What's The Commander when he's not rolling 2d6+stat? What's The Marshal?

Both those names evoke something for me and both those somethings have a fictional dimension; they're not purely mechanical. The problem with the then-current Warlord was that it didn't have a fictional dimension.

YMMV, obviously, but "The Commander" suggests a military character, maybe one who's in command of a fort or garrison. That's a bit vague, but it's something you can make into a full playbook... but again, one that doesn't really fit the core assumption of what Dungeon World characters do most of the time. You'd end up with something a bit like a Hardholder; it would totally fit if someone wrote a wilderness exploration/settlement supplement for DW.

The Marshal is obviously evocative of a kind of frontier lawman archetype, one who goes out and patrols the wilderlands to protect civilisation. That can definitely work as a Dungeon World playbook (although it risks stepping on the Ranger and the Spellslinger's toes), but it's not what the warlord conversion looks like. The warlord conversion looks like a bunch of mechanics strung together, rather than a playbook.

Again: "dude whose only talent is planning small-unit fights" is a poo poo thing to build a playbook around; that was the fundamental problem with the Warlord. It probably works as a CC you bolt on to another playbook (one that has an actual fictional identity).

No it was pretty clear, you already identified the problem when you said.

quote:

Basically, you'd need to take the playbook Kai_Tave had, then throw out half of the (perfectly good, perfectly mechanically-interesting) moves in it and replace them with fiction-oriented moves that tie in to a single, coherent fictional identity.

I think everyone just switched discussion tracks from "Why it's important to design a class with a clear fictional identity in mind." to "What specific fictional identity you could add to the described too mechanical warlord to make it more interesting."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'll add that these step on the Fighter, Ranger, Wizard and Thief's toes somewhat, which is by design.

This is a bit of a tangent because all of those classes are vanilla and as such the following sentence is not going to apply. But I think it's pretty pointless to worry about niche protection beyond the vanilla classes since no DW game is going to include every custom playbook in the entire Internet and some overlap is pretty much given.

E: Also I just changed my own version of the elf to private since I abandoned working on it when you first posted your much more superior version, whoever is updating the op should remove it from the links. Also my Scholar WIP is also abandoned and changed to private so that should be removed too.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 11, 2013