Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
So, me and my friends got into a game of this the other day after I got it in a recent Bundle of Holding, and they liked it enough to want to continue the game we started.

The entire thing was improvised, and I'm looking at Fronts, but I can't think of anything that immediately jumps out as a Campaign Front. Plus I like the idea of just doing episodic adventures that don't necessarily tie into an overarcing plot. Is it possible to just run Dungeon World with Adventure Fronts and string them along without a Campaign Front?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
My players want me to run a Dungeon World oneshot, and I've decided to run with Heart of the Minotaur because people seem to like it a lot. What are some good adventure starting questions people have used to lead into it in the past?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I was thinking of designing a class based around being an intelligent sword. Basically letting you play Stormbringer instead of Elric.

I've never designed a Dungeon World class before, but is this something people would be interested in seeing?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Yeah, I was just about to edit my post to talk about that and make it less interest-posty. Sorry about that.

I was thinking of having the race section replaced by a wielder section. I kind of like the idea of being wielded by another player's character (or your own, if your level 10+), but the logistics of that would be a nightmare.

Of course, even if you have a wielder NPC granted by the class, you could be wielded by other people, and I was thinking of having advanced moves that let you become more independent.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I looked into that myself and I think they're going to do another print run soon.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Yeah, I didn't get a chance to write about my first session, but I'm a new player myself and my group has been having a ton of fun with the game. Some of us did a one-shot a while back, and loved it enough for me to go and buy a bunch of additional content and run a campaign of it.

We went through The Heart of The Minotaur one page dungeon with a City Thief, an Artificer, and a Slayer (non-Grim World, if there's a difference). For backstory, the Thief decided to be a run-away princess who took to hiding and developed an underworld crime persona, the Artificer is searching for lost technology from a dead magitech civilization and inventing his own in an otherwise generic fantasy, dark age-ish world, and the Slayer is the last surviving member of his dessert village that was destroyed by a horrible dragon-like monster that is prophesied to destroy the world. The Slayer later died and rolled up a Medic who is seeking to atone for his Dragonborn clan's violent tendencies. Next session new player is coming in as a Princess (the actual playbook, not just a backstory one like the Thief).

Last session they left the dungeon to go rest and resupply at the city, and look for a way to bring the Slayer back to life, but instead, the Thief is on the run from the cops because she's suspected of kidnapping the princess, the Medic has to reavow his oath by rescuing the princess, who he also believes was kidnapped by the Thief, and the Artificer, my group's most quiet member, is just trying to keep their poo poo together and tinker with his toys.

The Thief is also searching for a magical cloak that is as strong as armor, and they might go rescue an apothecarymeth dealer for the Thieve's Guild. And this is all without touching on the various plot threads they've left loose that I'm thinking of into my fronts. I also just bought Mounted Combat and Inverse World, and am looking at how to incorporate some of that material into the game.

Edit: On the subject of Inverse World, is it intentional that all the enemies hp levels seem lower than their tags would indicate?

Shoombo fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 12, 2014

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Was just about to post about getting a copy when I noticed there was a second page. Oh well. Definitely interested in a game if I can get my schedule to work out!

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I might be getting into a Dungeon World game soon, and if I do, I'm going to try to make a character that I've had the concept for for a while. I noticed that in the Princess playbook, for My Dear Friends, you can choose for the form to be "things far stranger by far". So basically, I'm using that to make a Princess who is the daughter of a world devouring Cthulhu monster from beyond time and space, sent to the world as a harbinger of its destruction. Other than that, she's the sweetest, most naive thing you could meet, and absolutely the archetypal Disney heroine. I really hope the group is on board with my idea, because I've been wanting to do this for a while.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I believe Gnome's new hack Fellowship will also have mass battle rules, and started life as a Dungeon World supplement, so it should probably be even easier to lift those than Dark Ages rules.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
They can team up with the B-baller from earlier in the thread for sports adventures!

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Has anyone tried running any other games initiativeless? I can see it working for something like Fate, probably. I'd love to see an implementation for 13th Age.

I know about Marvel Heroics kind of popcorn thing, but it still feels restrictive.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
None currently out, but Vincent Baker's Apocalypse World Dark Age and Gnome's Fellowship are both PbtA fantasy games with a different focus, dark, political fantasy and Tolkien respectively.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
My little brother has been watching a lot of the show Wild Kratts on PBS, and let me tell you, it's actually a really great resource if you're playing a Druid. The basic premise is that these two zoologists run around rescuing animals. They wear these suits called Creature Power suits that let them take special animal powers, and generally the episode has them using about three of these powers from one animal. Basically the show gives you a huge grab bag of monster moves you can grab for a Druid's wild shape, and it's surprisingly useful.

It's also not the worst edutainment show for small children around, though it is far from the best.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

MadScientistWorking posted:

Anyone figure out a decent DTAS system for Apocalypse Engine games? I've sort have an idea but I want to see if anyone else came up with any idea.

Honestly, with the exception of Dungeon World, I wouldn't call what PbtA had Ability Scores. Like to me, ability scores are hard guides top what you can do, but Apocalypse World's array is all about how you do things. They're way more in line with Fate Accelerated's approaches.

With that said, I think to fix Dungeon World, you could honestly come up with new names for the stats that evoke D&D fantasy, and drop the score/modifier split so you only have the -1 to +3 modifier. then reconfigure hp to use the modifier, which could be difficult, but I know others have done it.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Yeah, I would recommend sticking to the intended genres of Apocalypse World hacks, because genre emulation is such a huge part of the system.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
It's a monk class in Dungeon World, why on earth would it not be able to run up walls?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
What's going on with Fellowship, by the way? Has anything more come out of that?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Fellowship is probably the game I'm most excited for out of anything, and I think you're doing really good work.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Well, my Witch (gnome's, not the other dude who is a jerk I think maybe?) just died two sessions into a campaign, but she died in a pretty cool way, taking all the blame for witchcraft in her coven to remove a witch-hunter's suspicion. Still, I would've liked to have gotten a bit more with her.

I think I'm gonna write my own playbook for my next character, The Mercenary Commander, a combination of the Apocalypse World Chopper, a 4th Edition Warlord, and a high level 2nd edition fighter who gets their own castle and stuff. Hopefully it'll be cool.

Oh, also apparently these games are being recorded, so I'll post 'em when they're up.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Hey, could someone point me to a copy of The Princess playbooks someone did here a little while back? The one with the Disney font?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Going off of the earlier monster HP discussion, how do other PBTA games handle it? Obviously that's stepping outside the written rules of DW, but are there like "wounded states" for enemies in, say, Apocalypse World?

Apocalypse World has most npcs going down in one hit (and pcs going down in 2 or 3), as does Monsterhearts. I don't know how a lot of other games do it, especially not combat focused ones.

Fellowship has monsters with stats that give them special abilities, conflict is in wearing down those abilities steadily or dealing a decisive hit.