Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!
I was looking to play Fenarisk's Pariah in an upcoming game; however, the link only returns one page. Is there a second page or is this still a work in progress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!
I am inept with Inkscape, but I have been using Word for ages, so I converted Fenarisk's .SVG template over to a .DOCX (2007) format. The fonts should be embedded.

For those interested, you can download a copy at this link:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3jBKG-w4xhFSWpRb042a1RZaTg/edit?usp=sharing

Feedback welcome.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The font on the second page headers doesn't appear to be the right one when I open it in Word 2010, and those page 2 headers are slightly lighter grey than the p1 headers. Otherwise, wow, that makes laying out character sheets a lot easier.

I made an update this morning. The 2nd page fonts should be fixed and the headers should all be the same color.

When I get back from vacation (next week), I plan to update it to allow for some of the sections with headers to be resized, e.g. Alignment vs. Race vs. Bonds and Gear vs. Advanced Moves. Also, I think I can also get it to allow you to swap out Alignment and Race with Drives and Background.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

zarathud posted:

I made an update this morning. The 2nd page fonts should be fixed and the headers should all be the same color.

When I get back from vacation (next week), I plan to update it to allow for some of the sections with headers to be resized, e.g. Alignment vs. Race vs. Bonds and Gear vs. Advanced Moves. Also, I think I can also get it to allow you to swap out Alignment and Race with Drives and Background.

I have now made it so some of the sections (Alignment, Race, Bonds, Gear, Advanced Moves) can be resized via movement of the headers. Also, you can update the titles of the Alignment/Drive and Race/Background headers. If you are having issues, it may be helpful to display all non-printing characters and turn on text boundaries.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Fenarisk posted:

zarathud posted:

I am inept with Inkscape, but I have been using Word for ages, so I converted Fenarisk's .SVG template over to a .DOCX (2007) format. The fonts should be embedded.

For those interested, you can download a copy at this link:

Feedback welcome.
I know this is from a few pages back but could you share exactly how you did this? Would love to apply it to other *World games. Getting the Inkscape one to work was an absolute bitch and a half.

Sorry for the late reply on this. Here is a basic run down.

-I took the Inkscape version and cut it down to the "non-editable elements" and converted that to an image. I inserted the image into the Page Header in the Word doc so it would be in the background.
-Racial Names, Descriptors, the # added to CON for HP, the Damage Die, and the Alignment/Drive header text are all in editable text boxes that are anchored to the first paragraph in the main body text and set not to move with text.
-The main body text area on the first page is set to start below the Alignment/Drive and Starting Moves headers, and it is set up as two columns of text. The Race/Background and Bond headers are inserted in line with the text so they will move as the section sizes change. Also note that the Race/Background text is editable text box and moves with the associated header.

-There is a section break between pages 1 and 2 so that I can have a different Page Header on the second page, which is the Gear header.
-The main text body of the document has 3 subsections: a two column section for Gear text, a single column text section with the Advanced Moves header, and a second two column section for Advanced Moves text. This allows the Advanced Moves section to change in size based on the size of the Gear section.

If you have any other questions, let me know. If you need help with converting something else, I would be willing to help out.

BTW - Is this link worthy of being in the OP under the Classes section?

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!
Has anyone thought about adding versioning (v01, v02, etc.) to the Playbooks? I think it would be helpful for ensuring you have the latest version, especially with the free community Playbooks. It could be added to the filename or on the Playbook itself. I will probably add it within the DOCX version of the Playbook template as an option.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!
I have updated my Word 2007 (DOCX) Playbook template. It now has a third page for spells or other playbook rules and assets. I have also include images for the damage dice. You can delete the ones you don't need and reposition the remaining one in the correct spot. If you have an issues with it or any other feedback, let me know.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

zarathud posted:

I have updated my Word 2007 (DOCX) Playbook template. It now has a third page for spells or other playbook rules and assets. I have also include images for the damage dice. You can delete the ones you don't need and reposition the remaining one in the correct spot. If you have an issues with it or any other feedback, let me know.

Now in Open Office format as well:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3jBKG-w4xhFdmFqQ2xRS3FRdEk/edit?usp=sharing

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Ich posted:

I know this is unlikely to happen, but:

Is there anyone clever enough out there and willing to make some sort of web app that could do that for us; we fill in the blanks and it makes a printable sheet for us? Maybe something like this site that makes various World of Darkness sheets, for example.

We can all dream, can't we?

I have posted both Word and Open Office templates for the sheets. They already allow some of the headers to be revised and some sections to be resized. If you have some savvy with those programs, you can certainly play around with the layout further. I also welcome suggestions on improving the templates and making them more flexible.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!
For those who are unaware, the Iron Edda: War of Metal and Bone - for Fate Core Kickstarter has a $15k stretch goal for a DW version of the setting (which is $1,400 away with 8 days left) . Giant battling mecha has always been a favorite genre of mine and this looks to be an interesting fantasy take on it.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!
Some additions for the OP:

Androc and Blasphemeral’s Gallant
Huckabee Sting’s Samurai
Spincut’s Voidtouched

Missing DTRPG Playbooks:

Adrian Thoen’s Sorcerer (DTRPG link)
Awful Good Games‘s Vancomancer (DTRPG link)
Pleb Publishing’s Dark and Twisted Playbook Bundle (Abomination, Butcher, Eater of Dead, and Unholy Warrior)
Street Rat Games Clockpunk (DTRPG link)
Street Rat Games Pit Fighter (DTRPG link)
Street Rat Games Street Rat (DTRPG link)
TakeonRules‘s Mountebank (DTRPG link)

Some stuff from the Tavern:

Alex Barret’s Brawler
Charles Persall’s Mesmer
Damian Jankowski’s Cloak
Damian Jankowski’s Prophet
Giovanni Lanza’s Grave Knight
Johnstone Metzger’s Dungeoneer

This is an update to an existing entry:
Nemesis of Mole's Playbook Bundle (Automation Bard, Hack and Slasher, Mimic, Storm Wizard and Vampire Killer)

TakeonRules also has a Playbook list here.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

GimpInBlack posted:

Hey, so I just upgraded from OpenOffice to Word for other work-related stuff, and when I tried exporting a playbook from zarathud's Word template as a pdf, I noticed that the damage die icons lost their transparent backgrounds in the export--the die shows up in the middle of a big white square. Anybody know what I messed up?

Give me some more info.

-What version of Word are you using?
-What are you using to do the conversion (e.g. Create Adobe PDF in Word, Print to Adobe PDF, Print to CutePDF Writer)?
-Did you start from the Word template, or did you use the OpenOffice template and bring it into Word first?

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Bigup DJ posted:

Hey everyone, here's my working document for the Mimic. I think I might actually release it on DriveThruRPG when it's done!

Check out Kaja Rainbow's similarly themed Imposter.

Also, Nemesis of Mole already has a playbook out there named The Mimic (although it has a different theme), so you may want to consider a rename.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Bigup DJ posted:

Intelligent ones with opposable thumbs and language I mean! Like Duergar and Gnolls.

Snotlings, Skaven, Skinks (see Warhammer Fantasy)

Gremlins, Ghoulies, Smurfs (or their mischievous counterparts, the Naugthies)

I second Living Dolls - imagine a chest or closet full of cursed, animated dolls or puppets...

Pygmies or Pymgy <blanks> (e.g. Pygmy Bugbears, Pygmy Gnolls)

Zombie Children
Live mind-controlled Children (imagine the moral dilemma...for some groups)

Lilliputians
Lilliputians with steampunk Ornithopters and Battlesuits

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!
For those interested, the Worlds in Peril Kickstarter just went live. It is a Superhero AW hack. Golden Age Hero is an early bird pledge level.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/63676387/worlds-in-peril

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Fenarisk posted:

Skald: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SWXF1UmtiSFlBTmM/edit?usp=sharing
Warrior: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SSV9vdG1zR2dXa00/edit?usp=sharing

(if anyone knows how to just delete the spell sheets from that editable word doc please let me know, I'm bad at this).

Playbook template sans spell sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3jBKG-w4xhFUHE0TmYzcU9pVlk/edit?usp=sharing

Skald sans spell sheet (temporary link): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3jBKG-w4xhFZXlCYzlJYlNubUk/edit?usp=sharing
Warrior sans spell sheet (temporary link): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3jBKG-w4xhFRmpJdlYwMi1KMmM/edit?usp=sharing

zarathud fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 7, 2014

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Doodmons posted:

Urban Shadows. It was so much "WoD World" that I believe someone modified the playbooks to be literally Requiem vamps, Awakening mages and Forsaken werewolves and stuff. It looks pretty good, but I haven't had a chance to run it yet. It's got an inbuilt "you go evil" mechanic as well, for all your world of darkness needs.

Or if you're running Hunter, just play Monster of the Week. It's literally Hunter.

Played Urban Shadows at a con recently (with the designer GMing). Great stuff.

There is a Google+ group where you can download the playtest documents.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Fenarisk posted:

Once I get some feedback on bugs/mistakes/balance changes, the final versions will have bonds. As for class icons, I'm pretty bad at computers and since I'm using zarathud's base template in word 2010 I don't really know how to do that.

If I don't notice any other mixups in the playbooks I'll probably have them finalized by the end of this week.

If I can get your final Word versions, I can insert the icons for you.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Fenarisk posted:

I don't have PM's but I'm finishing bonds and some minor edits on the playbooks tonight, feel free to email me, mail (dot) rickf at gmail (dot) com.

Just sent you an e-mail.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Deltasquid posted:

Updated my B-baller a bit. Any ideas for extra moves or improving existing ones? I'm thinking about making the class some sort of glass cannon, so I should probably lower the health a bit at some point in the future. If you see any gaps the class should fill (especially struggling with out-of-combat ideas- feel free to suggest!

Who remembers this (I know I'm dating myself): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pch_77AX08

Fro of Useful Items (see Gizmo in the video)
When you root around in your massive fro for a piece of adventuring gear, roll +CHA. *On a 10+, you find exactly what you need. On a 7-9, the GM tells you what you find, it's on you to make it useful.

Human Canvas
Your skin is so completely covered with tats that the ink acts as +1 armor.
or
Your skin has been so completely inked by so many tattoo artists that it contains hidden knowledge. Describe how one of your tattoos pertains to the current situation and take +1 to Spout Lore.

King of Bling
You can wear any amount of jewelry without it impacting your load or otherwise interfering with your moves.

Off the floor, off the wall, nuthin but net
As long you know the location of a target and there is an indirect, clear path to the target, you can deflect your B-ball off one or more surfaces to reach the target. (Note: Blitzballer would require this move.)

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Fenarisk posted:

I want some ideas on which of these to pursue next since it's a slow day at work:

Warlock - moves based on siphoning life force from others, either draining them, imbuing it back into them with curses, or shaping it into boons for allies.

Husk - revenant style with an undying curse, uses a life and death mechanic (based on a new moon, waxing/waning moon, full moon graphic) that constantly shifts the balance between the two through moves, opening and closing move options depending on the players state.

The Steading/The Outfit - playbooks for a home base/town or organizations similar to Reign companies.

How about giving us a page 2 for this: http://www.mediafire.com/view/xcx5a00b4wrcwjs/The+Pariah.pdf

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Spincut posted:

Agreed, though I think there's a couple reasons for that. There are a few playbooks that are basically complete but aren't in the standard format, so I didn't include them. Also the ones I've collected in the list are mostly goon-made, since I haven't really cast my net outside of this group (and I don't know the quality of the others I have found).

Good to know, changed the Assassin's description slightly. Also, the list can be edited by anyone, so if you see something that should be changed or think a class should be in a different category, feel free to change it.

Maybe you could add a section for CPUQ's (Completed Playbooks of Unknown Quality)? Here are a bunch from a previous post, although some are already in the list.

zarathud posted:

Some additions for the OP:

Androc and Blasphemeral’s Gallant
Huckabee Sting’s Samurai
Spincut’s Voidtouched

Missing DTRPG Playbooks:

Adrian Thoen’s Sorcerer (DTRPG link)
Awful Good Games‘s Vancomancer (DTRPG link)
Pleb Publishing’s Dark and Twisted Playbook Bundle (Abomination, Butcher, Eater of Dead, and Unholy Warrior)
Street Rat Games Clockpunk (DTRPG link)
Street Rat Games Pit Fighter (DTRPG link)
Street Rat Games Street Rat (DTRPG link)
TakeonRules‘s Mountebank (DTRPG link)

Some stuff from the Tavern:

Alex Barret’s Brawler
Charles Persall’s Mesmer
Damian Jankowski’s Cloak
Damian Jankowski’s Prophet
Giovanni Lanza’s Grave Knight
Johnstone Metzger’s Dungeoneer

This is an update to an existing entry:
Nemesis of Mole's Playbook Bundle (Automation Bard, Hack and Slasher, Mimic, Storm Wizard and Vampire Killer)

TakeonRules also has a Playbook list here.

Some stuff may have been moved or there may be additional, for example:
-Damian Jankowski's stuff is now for sale here: http://www.semidarkarts.com/dw.html
-There are a bunch of additional playbooks up on DTRPG (Bombadier, Lords and Lore pack, etc.)

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Yalborap posted:

So, quick question. I'm looking to add a Belmont to my playbook options for an upcoming campaign, just full on whips and crazy subweapons and completely kitted out to go gently caress up a Dracula. I saw the Vampire Killer in the OP, but the link seems to be dead. Anyone have that playbook, or if it's bad or outdated or whathaveyou, have a better recommendation for me to get my Belmont on?

Thanks, folks!

The OP is out of date. It can be found in Nemesis of Mole's Playbook Bundle (Automation Bard, Hack and Slasher, Mimic, Storm Wizard and Vampire Killer)

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Fenarisk posted:

I made a playbook again. Might change a few thematic things around though. It's a magical healing/damage class based on sacrificing health for bonuses to rolls.

The Penitent
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9SN0FUcUlnMnJhWms/edit?usp=sharing

I reworded the starting move and moved a sentence to clarify a little bit.

You work miracles and fuel your power through the lifeblood flowing within your veins. Before taking a short rest, declare how many hit point you put into your Penance pool. These hit points are subtracted from your current hit point total. You cannot choose to add more Penance to the pool than half you maximum hit points. This reserve stays with you until your next short rest or until you are healed, at which point they reset back to zero. Each time you roll +Penance spent, those spent points are removed from your Penance pool. No more than 3 Penance may be spent on a single roll.

-This may be semantics, by why declare before a short rest and not right after? Most groups do healing during a short rest, which would reset the pool to zero. Also, you heal when you Make Camp so when would you declare your Penance pool?

-Maybe I am not getting the intent, but why would the pool reset to zero with the next short rest as a trigger? For example, I put 10 HP into the Penance pool and use only a few in an encounter and then the group decides to have a short rest. Do I then lose that unused Penance and have to refill the pool from my remaining hit points? Would it better to have the unused Penance remain and allow the character to refill from remaining hit points up to the pool maximum?

-Should Forged by Fire and Font of Power have a restriction, such as "When you are at or below half HP", otherwise, if you take Forged by Fire, Vestments of the Penitent and Imposing Presence never go away.

-Should moves say "roll +Penance spent"

-I didn't see the max spend per roll noted anywhere.

-I agree with ICH that it might be better to start with +2 as the max spend and then have an Advanced Move change the max to +3.

Formatting - If you want more real estate in the Advance Moves section, you can move the "Choose One" header and items over to the second column (try inserting a Column Break after the Quarterstaff item)

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Babe Magnet posted:

How familiar are people here with the Beguiler playbook? I have a player who's using one and he's sort of a shithead and I think he's (perhaps unintentionally) abusing an aspect of the playbook.

Specifically, I'm talking about this aspect:

and how it interacts with this aspect:

Basically what he's doing is creating a kind of "clone" of himself, and then shapeshifting his own body into something different as two different parts of the same action. The way I'm reading it is, you're only supposed to take the +1 to concealing your identity if you use Beguiler's Cloak on yourself. In fact, I'm not really seeing anywhere that says you can summon a clone of yourself. It all looks like personal, self-range magic stuff,outside of the advanced moves that let you use it on an ally too, of course.

I'm all for allowing creative interpretations of a playbook, so I'm not calling him lovely because of the above (it's for a ton of other reasons), but I feel like we're not interpreting this move correctly at a very basic level and I just want some clarification. As we're running it now, he's essentially invincible, and hasn't been touched a single time in our past two sessions because he's always managing to bend his dumb clone illusion's rules to completely nullify anything I do. Which, again, I'd usually be cool with, but whenever I do manage to affect him negatively (He was caught in an explosion and I was going to let him use his clone as a buffer to take away the damage, but the downsize (he rolled a 9) was that he wouldn't be able to use the clone again for a while because it knocked him senseless and dazed him and ruined his concentration) he pitched a huge hissy-fit and tried to argue the downsides away. The only reason I didn't boot him from the game right then is the fact that we had two new people playing and I didn't want to make them play with a pissed off manchild in the room.

So this was sort of a half-venting, half-questioning post, but I would like to know if we're running this right. It doesn't seem on the level to me, but if the clone thing is legit I'll concede.

I agree that this is being seriously misinterpreted. The key is in the trigger: When you weave an illusion TO CONCEAL YOUR IDENTITY. It is not When you weave an illusion to distract an opponent or When you weave an illusion to conceal your location. I believe it essentially boils down to a disguise effect via illusion, e.g. making yourself look female, darkening the shadows in your hood so people can't see your face, changing your appearance to look like one of the city guard, etc., but not making you look like a tree or making an illusion of total darkness in a 20 foot radius.

In regards to Shapeshifter, I think the important part of that move is rough changes to your physical appearance. The key is how you interpret rough. To me it means "gross" changes that you can't finely manipulate, for example, making your nose more big and round, but you can't make it look exactly like the bulbous nose of the evil Marshall or making your hair blond, but you can't make it the exact color, length, and style of Prince William.

Putting them together might be something like this:

You are travelling through Orcish lands and want to sneak through without trouble.

With Shapeshift alone, you could change your skin color to green and make your height and weight more "Orc-like." At a distance, an Orc patrol might ignore you because this disguise is good enough, but up close the changes are too rough to past muster and you will be recognized for what you really are.

With Beguiler's Cloak alone, on a success you could easily pass as an Orc upon close inspection (assuming if they try to communicate with you that you can speak Orcish) or even a specific Orc assuming you can justify that you studied the target's appearance and mannerisms.

Put them together and you physically change your skin color to green and your height/weight to that of an Orc. You then layer the illusionary magic on top of this to get a combined effect. That is why you get a +1 when you use them together.

Add Decoy into this and he more closely achieves his desired effect. He could make himself look like an Orc and then throw out a Decoy, but I don't think he could make himself look like a rock with illusions and then throw out a Deocy.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!
Whatever happened to Pirate World? Wasn't that supposed to be out a while ago?

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Dairy Power posted:

Have any of you guys tried trading out the HP system for a wound based system? I want to make the Cthulu campaign feel a little more gritty, and I think the HP system is really the biggest thing making it feel like they are pulp action heroes at this point.

Although this is for AW, you should be able to make it work for DW with some adjustments:
http://ihousenews.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/63408904/Apocalypse%20harm.pdf

Full discussion is here:
http://www.story-games.com/forums/discussion/17665/apocalypse-world-a-more-descriptivevisceral-approach-to-harm/p1

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Cheap Shot posted:

For those of you who were worried about not hitting the $12.5k stretch goal, apparently there was nothing to worry about. We're nearly at the next goal after, with 2 hours on the clock.

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side Kickstarter end of campaign rush...

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!
In case anyone is interested, there is a Bundle of Holding currently available (through 12/19) for a number of Dungeon World PDFs. Even if you have some of the PDFs already, it may still be a good deal for you.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

The Supreme Court posted:

Hah, ok! I've not actually used the Word templates (mainly due to just how much time I've wasted in inkscape already), so I assumed they had to be less fiddly. Oh dear.

I find the Word template much less fiddly than Inkscape. Although I may be biased since I created it...

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!
This seems like the typical case of an old school RPG veteran who doesn't get Dungeon World: http://mythcreants.com/blog/dungeon-world-is-a-game-to-skip/

zarathud fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 28, 2014

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Len posted:

Does anyone have a link to a good one shot adventure? I'm introducing some people to Dungeon World and I want something that's fun and not poo poo like something I would probably come up with.

Some other resources you can peruse:

FMG's Dungeon Starters

Adventures from Joe Banner

Running Tight 4-Hour Dungeon World One-Shots With Zero Preparation

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Appoda posted:

Are there any playbooks that are about making things blow up or doing area-wide attacks? I've been fooling around with a medic + grenadier playbook concept and I'm wondering if someone's had their own approach for implementing frequent explosions.

There is a Bombardier playbook on DTRPG.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Is the Pariah class in the list on the first page complete? It looks really cool but it doesn't seem to have any advanced moves.

The author never completed the advanced moves for that one.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

gnome7 posted:

Describe your GM moves as super contrived accidents of happenstance. Someone botches an attack? Instead of describing their failure as their own failure or the strength of the enemy overcoming them, describe it as something like "a wheel rolls in front of you while you're charging and you trip!" or "You swing at the orc, but your blade catches in literally the only piece of armor the orc is wearing, and even worse - your sword got stuck in the metal!" Have things inexplicably fall apart, or go wrong in ways that they should be safe from, and make crazy coincidences the order of the day for a while.

You don't necessarily have to limit this to failures either. One idea could be that some sort of bad luck manifests every time doubles are rolled on a move. Your choice of a bad luck manifestation could be totally fictional (as described by Gnome7) or it could a negative outcome added on top of the move result. You might add a soft move on top of a success (10+), add an additional soft move or change it to a hard move on a partial success (7-9), and add a soft move on top of your hard move for a failure (6-).

Examples:

Ranger: I rolled double 6's for a 13 on my Volley.
GM: The arrow passes through the Orc's neck killing him instantly; however, your missile deflects off a sconce knocking the torch into the nearby tapestry, which immediately erupts in a blaze. What bad luck...

Fighter: I rolled double 3's for an 8 on Hack and Slash.
GM: You slash the Orc across the mid-section. Roll damage.
Fighter: I do 10 points.
GM: As you complete your swing and leave a hemorrhaging wound across his stomach, the green skin hammers you with a mighty counterstrike from his maul - take d10+3 ignoring armor. As the great weapon connects, you hear the tinkle of shattering glass and feel a wetness at your back. Didn't you have a vial of alchemist's fire in your pack? What bad luck...

Wizard: I rolled double 1's for a 4 with my Magic Missile.
GM: The bolt of force leaves your hands, completely misses the approaching guard, and slams into the ground near the Barbarian, knocking him off his feet. The brute lets go of the chain and the portcullis crashes to the ground, with the Cleric and Thief trapped on the other side.
Barbarian: I jump to my feet and start pulling the chain again.
GM: You pull with all your might, but it looks like the quick descent of the portcullis has caused it to jam in the track. What bad luck...

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Infinite Oregano posted:

Does anyone have a good source of DW magic items outside of the core book?

If not then we should really collate the ones that presumably have appeared in this thread!

You can try browsing the DW Tavern with the Magic Items post filter enabled.

There are also a couple of products up on DTRPG with 4+ star ratings that fit the bill.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Hey guys - new to this game and I find the idea very interesting. A question about Bonds though - how do some Bonds like "I have shared a secret with _______ " ever get resolved? Is blabbing the secret the only way to resolve this?

What Nemesis said, but it could also be that the circumstances mean the bond is no longer relevant, which also allows for it to be resolved. The rules specifically state: "A bond is resolved when it no longer describes how you relate to that person...Any time you look at a bond and think 'that’s not a big factor in how we relate anymore' the bond is at a good place to resolve."

Therefore, the secret doesn't necessarily have to be revealed for the bond to be resolved. Maybe PC #2 knows that your right hand was transplanted from a demon - since the arm was torn off and now sits in the gut of a troll - it may longer matter that your former appendage was tainted. Maybe PC #2 was mind wiped when he drank from the Pool of Eternity and has forgotten your secret. Maybe PC #2 knew that you are secretly the "Black Fox" who stole from the hoard of King Roderick, who put a bounty on your head - when the Barbarian slays the King for some perceived slight, the bounty is likely cancelled and the secret no longer matters.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sage & Adam just teased Juntu's Floating Ice Hell on G+.

About bloody time.

Is that a Kickstarter backer only thing?

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!
Also, here is the quarterly, obligatory "has anyone heard anything about Pirate World?" post. The last update on May 21 said the PDF would be out "soon." The author is The Supreme Court, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Covok posted:

What is the Immolator and when was it made a base class? It's like a fire wizard?

The Immolator is more like an elemental sword mage with various fire manipulation abilities. See the sheet here. It was released just about a year ago. Early access was given to those who donated to a specific fundraiser, but it was then posted on the homepage a couple of months later.

zarathud fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 13, 2015