Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
If you are aiming to do a specific thing with your new animal form, why not just indicate so when you're naming the animal.

For instance, my Druid player regularly says things like:

"I shapeshift into the Hoss Eagle of the Great Plains, known for swooping from the skies and crushing the spine of large prey."
or
"I shapeshift into the Craghide Buffalo of the Great Plains, with rocky bone protrusions along its shoulders and spines."

That makes it pretty clear to the GM what you're intending to do next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I work at an FLGS and was able to reorder (after selling out our backer copies) 10 copies directly from Sage and Adam via email. they're shipping in waves, or were at the time, so it took a couple weeks, but it was no problem and we got them at a fair wholesale after showing we were a brick-and-mortar.

So just tell your FLGS how awesome this game is and that they need to order from them direct via email. I've sold at least 10 copies so far.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I agree with the World of Dungeons love. I'm working on a Wizarding World (of Harry Potter) hack that takes more from World of Dungeons than Dungeon World, in that its classless (all classes do in World of is provide starting choices, they don't seem to matter after that), though I am adding back in some basic moves to represent Potter setting, tone, and narrative style better. Maybe I'll end up adding back in full playbooks if I ever get to playtest it at all and it feels like I need it, but at the moment, World of Dungeon style skills, here what subjects you have "Excellent Marks" in, look fine to me. May add an "Outstanding Marks" you can take to get a 12+ benefit.

Stats, Excellent/Outstanding Marks, House, Wand, and Spell Repertoire I think might be enough to distinguish characters.

So far the basic moves are:

Bravery Under Pressure (Roll+Gryffindor) - Act Under Pressure
Cunning Manipulation (Roll+Slytherin) - Parley
Wit & Wisdom (Roll+Ravenclaw) - Discern Realities containing some Spout Lore-ish questions
The Right Spell (Roll+Ravenclaw) - Know a useful spell for the situation
Loyal & True (Roll+Hufflepuff) - Aid Other
Magical Me (Roll+Luck) - Unique move related to narrative serendipity.

Spells just do what they do. You know spells because you learned them in class (HeadMaster narrative power), started with them at beginning of year, or knew The Right Spell when you needed it. In general, one doesn't roll to cast a spell. Instead, you may need to be Brave Under Pressure in order to successfully cast your Patronus Charm when dementors are in your face. Or you may end up with unexpected results in specific situations if you don't have the Wit & Wisdom to know what happens when you try to Stupefy a dragon or when wands with cores from the same phoenix conflict.

I decided on doing spells this way because wizards don't randomly cause problems fail casting Scourgify in their kitchen. They fail to cast spells in time to fight danger, or when their teacher is staring them down, and that's already covered.

My main concern is Hufflepuff stat is an obvious dump stat. Their house move improves it quite a bit. I'm thinking Hufflepuff might come into play in special moves, due to stuff like not minding hard work. Slytherin is a bit weak, too, despite the usefulness of Parley.

edit: I know there's a couple other folks working on HP hacks. Not trying to step on anyones toes, just felt real inspired whilst reading.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I'd be down to play The Brute PBP. Almost had a player use it in a game started today, but they went with gladiator instead.

edit: Looks like I was thinking of TheSupremeCourt's Brute, but offer still stands.

Lunatic Pathos fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 27, 2013

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

DirkGently posted:

Hey guys, I decided to take a crack at my first ever DW playbook, inspired very heavily by Gandalf but also by tales of Odin in disguise. So, here it is: The Mysterious Wanderer.

I would appreciate any comments -- and feel free to be harsh (I can take it).

Not the most important commentary, but, its the Flame of Anor, not Arnor. Anor is the name of the sun, or the Maiar that embodies it, anyway. Arnor is Elendil's kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

If everyone is ignoring half the monsters, that is a golden opportunity for them to make hard moves, though you probably want to broadcast that ignoring half the monsters is problematic. Its not entirely reactive, it's just that there's never no reaction. You can react to a players roll and then immediately make a soft move with two different threats. It's on the players to decide how they handle both simultaneously, or if they choose to ignore one.