Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Does anyone know if there's an easy, inexpesive way to get the physical Dungeon World book in Australia?

Indie Press Revolution want $25 + $18.20 shipping + $1.20 handling = $44.40 to ship it to me, and they'll only take paypal, which I don't use and won't sign up for just for this, and none of the game stores in Melbourne carry it, and I can't find it online in any of the usual places I would look to buy a book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'll just buy the PDF from drivethru.

If IPR would take a bank transfer or credit card, I'd happily pay for the book and shipping since I'm quite used to awful local prices and shipping charges. Expecting everyone who wants a hardcopy to have paypal is dumb as hell though.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

OK, so going off the free rules, I definitely want to run this game.

I have one question so far - range.

If my weapon has Reach, what does that mean, mechanically?

I can say "I thrust my spear at the bandit, attempting to stab him while keeping him at range". Then what happens? On a 10+ I get to do exactly that. On a 7-9, he gets to make a move too. On a 6- it's a GM move.

How does that differ mechanically from "I close to melee range, attacking the bandit with my sword while parrying his blows"? On a 10+ I get to do exactly that. On a 7-9 he gets to make a move too. On a 6- it's a GM move.

If I'm using my crossbow (Near), but am Far from the target, then what do I need to do to get Near? Is it a move to get Near, or is it part of Volley? If it's part of Volley, then what's the real difference between Near and Far? The time it takes for an enemy to close with me? What if I'm firing from Far and the enemy wants to fire from Near? I jsut don't see any move rules at all.

I've obviously missed something important.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

OK, so the GM makes moves...

quote:

When everyone looks to you to find out what happens
When the players give you a golden opportunity
When they roll a 6-

I guess I was reading 'a golden opportunity" as something more special than "they move forward". No problem.

Edit: So to attack an enemy with reach, you need to Defy Danger to get close, and then Hack And Slash? Or can Defy Danger be used to say "I slip past its guard with an agile lunge, and strike home" or "I batter his spear aside and cut him down" and also deal damage? Do Monsters Defy Danger as well?

I'm still not sure how attacking a guy when you have Reach is different from attacking in close or hand melee, except if the idea is that the enemy couldn't just "do damage" to you if you got 7-9 with your REach weapon.

Edit again: Wait, gently caress I get it. I'm not "making moves" like a DM in D&D. I'm saying "The bandit rushes at you, spear thrusting towards your guts, what do you do?" and the player drives the action. If he decides to close in and Hack And Slash with his short sword, then that's what happens*. If he decides to Defy Danger by using his own spear to halt the charge and keep the bandit at range, then that's what happens (and then I guess their next move is to Hack And Slash at each other with spears? nope, it's whatever the player does, derp).

*But the bandit deals damage first, right? Because the bandit has a reach weapon and the player decided to not do anything about that and just close in to Hack And Slash.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 27, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

You posted while I was editing, but thanks! I get it! I'm gonna play DW next week now, and everyone's going to love it because it seems like it's a great balance between D&D and Fiasco.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Boing posted:

But I don't know if that formula could be improved. For a while I wasn't sure whether the +INT roll before or after they spout their facts - I think after makes more sense, since you can twist their words back on them if they roll a failure, or a 7-9. It does seem a little contrived that the success or failure of their knowledge check can make things better or worse for them, but I think it's very much in line with DW's ethic. On the other hand, my players are started to get a bit worried about Spouting any Lore because they know it could just make things worse.

I haven't played DW yet, but my take on this is almost the same as yours.

"poo poo, the pass is blocked! We need a safe way under the mountains instead! Like Moria!" (rolls a 2).

Fly, you fools!

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 2, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If you're in the UK, Dungeon World is now available in print from Leisure Games: http://www.leisuregames.com/acatalog/Dungeon-World--Sage-Kobold-.html#a59632

Oh hey, looks like they ship to Australia and accept credit cards!

I know what I'm buying tomorrow! Tonight!

They were really fast responding to my question about shipping, too.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 3, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Will it hurt to play with the online rules, or should I wait for the actual book?

It's the difference between playing next monday or in a few weeks.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm finally getting ready to play DW. I only have one more question.

When is XP gained?

I've found so far:

When you roll 6<

When a move says so

When you resolve a bond

Is there anything else? XP for finishing storylines? XP for finding treasure? There's a sentence in the book that implies the treasure thing, but doesn't say anything about how.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Well, gently caress, I somehow forgot about that even though I've read it.

Reading comprehension at an all time low, I guess.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

We played our first session on Monday night.

It was generally pretty great, although the D&D-mindset of "look at the moves and pick one" took a bit of getting over.

A couple of things that I need to clear up:

1) It seems like Dex was used to Defy Danger more often than all other stats put together. I'm guessing that's partly a failure of me to describe situations in which another stat would be usable, and partly the fault of the D&D mindset that says "The ceiling is collapsing, reflex save" instead of "gently caress that, I hold it up!"

2) The bard can pretty much give people 1d8 healing whenever he likes as long as he can do "a performance"? There seems to be no downside to doing this after every fight.

3) Tying into 2, it seems like if the bard in that situation (or anyone at any time) rolls a 10+ I'm not supposed to make a move? So if the bard sings his cheerful song of healing after a fight and rolls 10+, I'd be a dick to have monsters attracted by the noise? Or is that a situation where "haha nope, you spent 5 minutes singing and playing guitar, orcs heard it" is a move that follows the fiction? Does "follows the fiction" trump "they rolled 10+ and got what they wanted"?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

vulgey posted:

We played the "Slave Pits" 2 hour demo and everyone loved it. I also loved having to do hardly any prep! Everyone is happy with their characters and we want to move on to a "proper" game so any tips for starting 2nd session?

No tips, but that's exactly what we used, and it was awesome. The cleric (of the bleak god Bleak, god of bleakness) died and her bargain with death was "devote yourself to killing the lich, and you may return". Preferring not to have to travel to Bleak's bleak domain just yet, she spent about 20 minutes convincing the other characters that they "were goddamned crybaby pansies if they thought that running away was a good idea even though the exit was like, right there. And it's probably trapped anyway. And you guys are being soft. How soft? Soooooo soft. He's one crumbling old zombie. Who's he gonna kill? I died already and it wasn't even that bad, so what are you scared of?"

We're all looking forward to playing "for real".

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

There's a treasure card with that adventure that's "deadly poison, sooo poisonous, seriously, it can only bring death and horror and misery". Our bard and cleric convinced the Lich that it was the Elixir of Life that he'd been mining for. There were lots of Spout Lore rolls throughout the game that pointed to something like that being buried there, so it made sense in the fiction that they might have found it (and that's what set the earthquake off). A bit of roleplaying later, and some excellent parlay and defy danger (cha) rolls... and yeah. Then the orc chieftain dude leapt out of the shadows for a final jump scare, and was beheaded by the rogue who was all like "I knew he was back there the whole time, I just wanted to wait until it was dramatic before I killed him, because you guys get all the fun otherwise".

Also, earlier in the game the bard's response to "the orc swings his long metal club up, getting ready to bring it down and crush your skull what do you do?" was "I drop prone".

I thought he had a cunning plan, but "I drop prone" was as far as he'd thought it through. I don't know what he was thinking, but he's weird-ideas-guy in D&D, so it seemed like I should let him do his thing without any coaching. Nope.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 10, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm running Dungeon World "properly" (ie, without a prepared scenario) for the first time tomorrow night. We did that Slave Pits one a little while back and it just sold the whole group on the game, which is awesome because it was a heap of fun running it.

My prep so far has been to print playbooks and draw about three quarters of a dungeon map. I'm thinking "it was peaceful until two weeks ago, and now there's goblins all over the place" is how I'm going to kick it off, and then ask why what the goblins are doing, why the PCs care about it, and if any of them have any idea where the little bastards sprang from.

Does that sound like enough prep for a group that regularly plays Fiasco and Everyone Is John (and D&D) and is generally pretty good at coming up with cool things?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I've been starting campaigns like that since the mid 90s, to avoid the whole sitting in a tavern thing. I got the idea from the opening of Conan The Destroyer of all things. I know it's cheesy, but the first 2 minutes after the credits just sets the characters and world up so perfectly.

(Conan is meditating on his sword, Malak is counting loot. Some dudes ride up, looking all evil and poo poo)

Malak: "I think we made the merchant angry."

Conan: "Are you surprised?"

Malak: "Well we didn't steal everything he had."

Conan: "We didn't have time."

(Malak hides and swallows the loot. Conan chops a guy and then pulls two dudes off their horses at once.)

Malak: "Why aren't they trying to kill us?"

Conan: (In a matter-of-fact tone) "Maybe they want to capture us, and torture us to death."

(Malak leaps out at a dude and stabs him repeatedly in the kidneys. Conan chops a net, then a dude, then punches a horse out.)

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 10, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I just ran our first real session of Dungeon World. It went better than I could have ever expected.

The players made characters - Rhubarb the halfling bear druid, Bjorn (again) the Dwarf Cleric, and Yamamed the halfing thief.

I used the setup I described above - "Two weeks ago, it was peaceful in this town. Since then, there have been goblins everywhere, causing trouble."

I then began to ask questions.

What have they been doing?
Stealing stuff, but only important stuff and food.

Where did they come from?
Underground, but nobody's sure where.

Then the players asked me some questions, which I just turned straight back on them.

How big's the town?
Small, a sheep farming community.

What's it's name?
Hyneckin

What did the goblins steal?
The Sacred Ale of Ghrizig of the Stones (the cleric's god).

Why is the ale important?
It must be quaffed before the Ritual Brawl (benediction "what are you looking at?") that heralds the coming of winter and the rememberance of the downtrodden, according to the sacred laws and statutes.

Did you say statues?
No, I said statutes. Ancient statutes. But statues too. The sacred statutes are carved on the sacred statues. On their beards. The laws are carved onto their beer bellies.

So... with that serious discussion out of the way, the game starts for real.

Where are you and what are you doing?
We're in the tavern.

Really? What are you doing there? (I couldn't loving believe they went for this, but...)
We're in the cellar. Looking at the spaces where the kegs, as well as the Sacred Keg, should be. And a tunnel. The tunnels wasn't there yesterday, but the kegs were.

They track the goblins to an old chalk pit, and then down under a hollow tree into a system of well-cut stone rooms. The dwarf fails Spout Lore, and knows that these were caved by dwarves hundreds of years ago, and were once a rich gemstone mine (not true at all). They fight some goblins, and it's pretty cool. The goblins have curved, bronze knives. The thief Spouts Lore, and decides to state that goblins only use weapons that they've looted, which is usually rusty farm implements and knives. These are different. The dwarf communes with the stone spirits and asks questions three. He fucks this up, even though he passes the roll.

"What did the dwarves find here that caused them to leave?"
"There were no dwarves here" (I was impressed - a dude who's usually a bit of a min/max type chose to waste a question based on an earlier failed roll)

"Where did the goblins take my Sacred Keg?"
"Further down" (he's pissed now, he was expecting exposition, but what was I really going to answer here?)

"What are these strange bronze knives that the goblins have?"
"In aeons past, they were used to tap the kegs that slaked He Who Thirsts Below". (I pulled that out of thin air based on the fairly ridiculous idea of a keg of sacred ale being the macguffin, and it was a huge hit - they're worried now, the Sacred Keg isn't going to be sold, it's going to be drunk. Soon.)

While this is going on, they've been hearing huge footsteps below, shaking the room and getting gradually louder. The dwarf goes to cast his Magic weapon spell and fails, so they're ambushed by some goblins who've snuck up behind them while they were distracted. The finish them off easily.

The rogue goes to investigate, but has the choice of "see what's happening and expose yourself to it, or return without any useful knowledge" and chooses to return. They descend the stairs and see a goblin hitting the ground rhythmically with a sledgehammer. Rogue shoots him in the eye, saying "it might have been a trick, but it was probably an alarm. We should be on guard". The party hears a stifled giggle from the shadows, followed up by a hail of spears. Rogue darts back around the corner (10+ roll). Dwarf tries to hide behind his shield, which splinters (7-9 roll) and he chooses to lose it rather than take damage.

Druid had shapeshifted to bear before this. He asks "Do I have to dodge or can I just tough it out?", and smiles when I say "defy danger: con". He takes 6 spears in the chest, which don't even hurt him. He barrels into the goblins, sending them flying and bearhugging some of them to death. The dwarf tries to heal him and fucks it up. The rogue starts pinpoint sniping goblins, rolling 10+ over and over. The bear wrecks the rest of them.

The party's slightly hosed up at this point, and rests briefly before pressing on. They soon find some kegs (not searching the goblin's lair, which had secret doors and stuff). They're across an ancient rope bridge (open to the sky, inside a pit) and down an inside staircase, at the end of a long room which opens into a seemingly bottomless circular pit.

The kegs are all empty. The Sacred Keg stands on the edge of the pit, tap hanging over. It's nearly empty, there's maybe 3 pints left in the bottom. Cleric argues that they should lower another keg into the pit, to see if they can recover any Sacred Ale - although even a single pint would be enough, it would be better not to leave it down there in a puddle. They ties a rope to the bear and to a keg, and lower it down. Obviously the rope goes taut as He Who Thirsts Below grabs the keg.

I had no idea how to proceed here. He Who Thirsts Below isn't actually in the DW book. So I decided he had shitloads of tentacles which did 1d4 and grabbed you if you didn't avoid them, and his instincts were "drag them below" and "drink all the beer". I also decided that he wouldn't go out in the sunlight and would retreat after 25hp damage.

They eventually got away, after a few grabs and drags, the bridge collapsing, and losing one pint of Sacred Ale. They head back to Hyneckin, (semi) victorious and sharing the second last pint of Sacred Ale between them (it's really really good beer, it was totally worth it, even for just a third of a pint).

The Cleric and Druid leveled up, ending on 8 and 9 xp respectively. The rogue had inexplicably chosen bonds that were hard to resolve, and he didn't push them in play - he ended up on 5xp.

And that was our first real game of Dungeon World. It was super easy to set up and super fun to play. Everyone's keen to play again as soon as we can, which is about 2 weeks away.

I'm writing the Fronts and stuff right now. Here's what I have so far...

Danger:
He Who Thirsts Below has awakened from his hangover.
His fungal goblins are breeding out of control.

Impending Doom:
HWTB will consume all the ale in the world, heralding an age of sobriety and untold suffering.
...fungal goblins maraud around infecting non-ale liquors and turning people into more fungal goblins?

Grim Portents:
HWTB awakens in the deep.
The fungal Goblins begin breeding much faster than usual. (we are here)
HWTB's cultists start many pub brawls and riots - some wise men know what's up but nobody believes them.
...liquor is infected by fungal goblins, causing some drunks to become fungal goblins?
The Brown Order is summoned by the king, but does not respond.
Ale supplies begin to dry up, some seemingly evaporating from closed bottles and kegs.
...liquor is all infected, fungal goblins everywhere?
The Brown Order finally returns, but cannot prevail alone.
The world's ale supply is completely consumed by He Who Thirsts Below.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 11, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Glazius posted:

Welcome to Dungeon World, where you make poo poo up and it is glorious. Good to hear your players are having fun with it!

We've always enjoyed the making-it-up-as-you-go style of gaming, starting with Baron Muchausen (well, starting with B/x D&D, but Munchausen was the first game we played where the mechanics really support it). I was very excited about this game after reading about it. More so after GMing the Slave Pits demo module, but a couple of the players were skeptical of the "literally no prep" thing. But it works, and it works fantastically well.

It's super cool to play a fantasy RPG that supports this style well. I knew DW would do it, but I never realised just how well it would work. One of the reasons we don't game as often as we'd like to is that nobody has time to write an interesting fantasy adventure, let alone a campaign. This is gonna let us just play whenever. It's like Fiasco / Everyone Is John (or a board game) in that you can go "Everyone's free? Game night!" and you can just play it, but it's deeper than those games and you can do ongoing play.

Oh, and if I tried writing the Saga of the Sacred Keg as an adventure, it would end up kind of stilted and un-funny. This was neither.

Edit: I bought the book, because I like having books. Is there a way to give the developers more of my money? I want to give them more of my money.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 11, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

madadric posted:

This is awesome and I can't wait to hear more of their adventures! I really love how dungeon world leaves the group enough space to really make the tone of their game their own.

Peppernest is awesome :stare:

This was entirely amazing to me. I've always tried to do it for games I GM, but in a system where it's my job to make the world, it can be jarring or frustrating trying to take alihter or heavier tone than I'd intended. I hosed part of that up in our first game (Slave Pits), trying to be more serious in tone that the group really wanted, but I think I sorted it out towards the end.

For our second game, I left it pretty much up to the players, because I brought almost nothing to the table to see what would happen. I guess I didn't really trust the "no prep" thing, but I was totally prepared to see where it would go. It was good to an extent that I didn't think would be possible.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 14, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Since *world's main thrust is genre emulation and "modern world" isn't a genre, I don't see how it would end up being any good. Generalising the moves and classes is doing pretty much the opposite of what makes *world such a good system.

That said, I can see a modern *world hack working well for "HeistWorld" or something. Those movies usually have a team of specialists each doing their thing really well so that they can achieve their collective goal, which is a good way to run an RPG. I mean, "Wheel man", "Goon", "Con artist", "Demoliton guy", etc would all make good classes. "STR man" "CON man and "DEX man" wouldn't.

The problem is, while that would work great for heist games, it would be poo poo for Wild West where you need "Cowboy", "Gambler", "Miner", "Ranger", "Sheriff", etc.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MadRhetoric posted:

You're off on first principles: the *World's main thrust is making a set of narrative rules for roleplaying. This is reductionist, but VB is all about reductionism. You could replace the stats in any *World with any five descriptive words and come up with playbooks. The moves break down to "give you +1 to descriptive word", "can use descriptive word stat in exchange for other descriptive word stat in certain situations", or "get a thing that unlocks a special rule for your character".

And your last point makes no goddamned sense. At all. Why does one set of archetypes work but the other one doesn't?

My last point was that the archetypes from the heist genre aren't the archetypes from the wild west genre, and I can't see how that doesn't make sense.

That said, I can see how "generic modern" could cover both games. I just don't think it would do so as well as a game specifically set up for either genre. I guess that's a preference thing - I prefer strongly genred games.

I can see that I'm not right about the *world system (and hacks) being inherently genre specific. I think I just over-reacted to "like d20 modern", which was a game I really didn't like for all kinds of reasons only some of which are related to it's genre non-specificness.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

That's cool. It might be a Potter game I'd actually play.

I would change "The Right Spell" to be house non-specific. It's not really a Ravenclaw thing (and their other move so totally is), it's more of a narrative thing that applies to everyone in the series. I could be wrong, I haven't read the books since the last one came out, but that's how I remember it.

From my limited play of Dungeon World, Discern Realities and Spout Lore give enormous narrative control already. Being the best at that and being the best at having the spell to deal with the consequences seems like it overshadows the other house moves.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

What if you're fighting a giant robot that has a bunch of curved surfaces so that when you shoot it the bullet just slide along the curves and then he throws it at you like a jai alai stick

check-mate, nerds

Pull it apart with magnets.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Elderbean posted:

It's hard to take someone seriously when they call DW's character creation restrictive.

Yeah? My first thought when skimimng through the DW book was "you don't get heaps of character options". Then I, you know, read and understood the book. I can see how you'd make the mistake at a glance, or if you'd tried to read only the rules parts and skipped all the "how to Dungeon World" bits.

That guy's read the book (and apparently played the game) without understanding what he's read. I mean, he manages to complain that there's no explanation of what advantages a Reach weapon offers

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 3, 2015

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Myrmidongs posted:

I did a writeup for 13th Age a few weeks back on standardizing weapon damages, and importing tags from dungeon world. Didn't get much feedback, but what I did went completely over one guy's head on G+.

He complained about that, but not about Reach. I mean, I even made it explicit what negative effect it might have, but apparently that isn't enough.

The thing that amazes me about the guy commenting on DW's Reach is that it actually is defined in the book as "allows you to attack out to this range" or something similar.

I haven't read 13th Age anywhere near thoroughly, but I guess you're using plain English when you say "close-quarters situations" and the 13th Age rules don't have anything that sounds kinda similar (eg, range categories like near/far) that he thought you were adding a new section to? e: I'm not defending the guy, it sounds like he totally missed the whole point, just wondering if "close quarters" sounds similar to something that already exists in the game.

I guess I need to add "actually read 13th Age" to my list of stuff to do this year, since it keeps coming up.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 3, 2015

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

e: Never mind, I missed like a whole page of replies somehow. Sorry.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 5, 2015

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

OK, so I ended up running an Gelatinous Cube, and my PCs killed it in 3 hits. I know that the way they killed it should have been punished in the fiction (they basically stood as far from it as they could and basically swung their swords with their wrists), but I didn't know how to transfer that into anything mechanical of why they would do less damage. Is that just a thing sometimes when they roll super well that things that clearly go against a reasonable fiction just work because the dice said they did a ton of damage? Maybe I just had trouble because I didn't really envision what the cube could do to fight back since they all clearly knew to not get close to it.

There should be no way for the players to roll Hack & Slash in such a way that the monster can't hit back because the move inherently contains the risk of a counterattack. They say "I stand way back and whip my sword back and forward with a wrist motion" and you say "Your sword tip draws little creases in the cube" and there's no dice rolling happening. Make it clear in your descriptions that there's no risk-free way to hit it with a hand weapon.

"The cube inexorably moves towards you, forcing you to back up to maintain a safe distance, what do you do?" They come up with a clever way to damage or disable it, or they get close enough to carve chunks off and risk getting hit back, or they run away.

The fiction comes first. If they're trying to do something that won't work, don't roll dice.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 24, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Boing posted:

I asked "so who gets the XP?" and everyone unanimously said "the ship!". So now I'm making a playbook for a loving pirate ship with custom stats and moves and advance moves and everything.

This is the best thing. I can't wait to see how it turns out in the end.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

For magic items, I've been going with an idea that I got from... somewhere... back when I ran my first DW game. Each magic item is a card-sized printout with two items on it. Ask the person who picks it up which one they found, then get them to tear off the other half and discard it.

And yeah, items that do things instead of items with +numbers have been a much bigger hit for me after I get people to understand that +numbers isn't necessary in DW.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Friar John posted:

1) It seems like traps are almost entirely reactive. I don't place them on the map, instead it seems like I have a list of traps for a dungeon as a whole, and then *when the players fail a roll* they show up - e.g. failing discern reality and realizing you've put your hand in a bear trap about to go off or something. Am I wrong? Or are there ways to include "static" traps that the players have to discover or work around? I don't think Discern reality really works like a spot check, and I don't want to treat it as such.

In the first DW game I ever ran, one of the coolest things was watching a bunch of long-time D&D players click with the system at different times and in different ways. It was like everyone had a totally different "lightbulb" monent, and you could see it on their face when it happened. The first one was the druid realising that while everyone else was dodging and commando rolling out of the way of incoming arrows, he could instead say "gently caress this, I'm a bear. lovely little goblin arrows just stick in my fur and maybe give me a tiny little scratch or two" and Defy Danger with Con.

The look on the rogues face was amazing when I said "Yeah, this hall is trapped. You've found out by standing on the pressure plate. Tell me what terrible thing is going to happen if you take any weight off your left foot". He just launched into an excited description of the trap and telling the other PCs how to disarm it, since he can't possibly move from where he's standing without it going off. Without further prompting, they all start describing what they're doing, and I only have to step in to make sure they're not talking over each other too much.

But yeah, nothing's stopping you from including a trap that you've created and placed. I guess if they are looking for it then Defy Danger or Discern Realities should trigger depending on who's looking and how. If they're not looking for it and it goes off, describe what happens, then ask "what do you do?" and it should be obvious which moves trigger from their descriptions of their actions.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

What do I do if my players never roll discern reality or spout lore? Have them face the full brunt of the traps?

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Moves aren't something that players really get to choose happens, they MUST trigger when the time comes. If they don't spend time trying to find traps, then they trigger them and you can discern for the effects of the trap I suppose.

This. If they're looking for traps, then depending on how they're looking they might trigger Discern, Defy Danger, or whatever else.

If they're not looking, then the trap hits them. But you don't say "the trap hits you, take 2 damage" or whatever. You say "Oh poo poo, you just stepped on a pressure plate, what do you do?" If they dive out of what they assume is the target area, then Defy Danger. If they say "what's happening?" then Discern Realities.

If they start telling you what's happening, (eg "HOLD STILL! I've just stepped on a pressure plate. Looks like a standard Dwarfhammer & Brewbeard Trap-O-Matic 9000 so it's not gonna trigger until I step off. I want you to very carefully..." then I guess Spout Lore.

e: You can still do this with traps you've made up and pre-placed, just apply the "draw maps, leave blanks" principle to your traps so if the players decide they have something to contribute then they can.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 17, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Is there a swashbuckling / pirate / sailing ships specific pbta game out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah I own inverse world and it rocks, that's what inspired the question - I was hoping for something like that, but specifically age of sail.

But never mind that now! Has anyone run World Wide Wrestling who can give me a rundown on how it goes in practice? This poo poo looks amazing.